Volkswagen: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
That's pretty abysmal highway FE, but look at the speed you're driving! 100mph? When I think that's 160km/h, here they would revoke your liscense if caught.

I just wanted to be realistic since more often than not, on a long hwy trip, me and my uncle like to put on a burst of speed to triple digits just to enjoy the sound and power of the thing! Also don't forget that this is done top down, so I'm sure top up, things would be slightly better.

Charliemike: WHY? Why not just make 6th taller, when you have such a torquey engine?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So it looks like GM also is developing an ala-DSG tranny. It will be available in about 1.5 years from now.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

VW's Rabbit refresh, hybrids on hold - - By HENNING KROGH | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

WOLFSBURG, Germany - Volkswagen's hybrid-vehicle programs have been put under the microscope by Martin Winterkorn, VW AG's new chairman.

The chances of hybrid variants of the Golf, Jetta and Touran coming to market soon have sunk rapidly under VW's new management. Winterkorn succeeded Bernd Pischetsrieder on Jan. 1.

Company sources tell Automobilwoche that Winterkorn is looking skeptically at sales projections for VW's planned hybrids.

Forecasts for the hybrid version of the Touran minivan, to be badged as the Highbrid, are "far too low," company insiders say he has told planners.

Given the price sensitivity in the compact segment and the high cost of hybrid drive relative to a standard engine, "the hybrid business case doesn't work out, no matter how you look at it," one VW executive says.

The executive estimates the price premium for a hybrid drive at 2,000 euros minimum, or about $2,580.

Pischetsrieder had announced plans for a Jetta powered by a mild hybrid for the 2008 model year, initially with the United States in mind.

A mild hybrid uses an electric motor to give the internal combustion engine a boost, but the electric motor does not provide full power.

The hybrid version of the Touareg SUV remains on track, sources say. Based on current plans, the recently updated SUV will be the first regular-production VW with hybrid drive. It is slated to be available in late 2008.

Reviewing Rabbit's revisions

Winterkorn is also ordering a reworking of the design of the next VW Golf, known as the Rabbit in the United States. The changes probably will delay the planned 2008 introduction of the hatchback by up to six months.

Winterkorn thinks the design of the new Golf - done while Wolfgang Bernhard was VW brand chief - is "too progressive." In particular, Winterkorn wants to tone down the large air intakes to avoid putting off conservative Golf buyers.

Winterkorn has asked new VW group design chief Walter de' Silva to alter the design of the company's top-selling model.

The new Golf was scheduled to be launched in the first quarter of 2008. A high-level VW manager said the launch will be delayed "because of the design revision."

Dresdner Kleinwort automotive analyst Arndt Ellinghorst wrote in a report that VW could lose 90,000 Golf sales by delaying the launch until the third or fourth quarter of 2008.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Anyone else starting from scratch in the hybrid field will come to the same conclusion - the math doesn't add up.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Anyone else starting from scratch in the hybrid field will come to the same conclusion - the math doesn't add up.
yup...much more sense to just licence it from toyota
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by gilboman
yup...much more sense to just licence it from toyota
That just gets rid of the upfront R&D costs. Even after that is out of the way - it still doesn't add up. Unless the hybrid "premium" can be lowered to $1000 it won't work. The higher the gas prices the higher the "premium" can be.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well. Maybe the math does not add up now but it will if this tech gets more refined and more effective/efficient.

The big thing here is battery tech. If say batteries become 1000% more efficient in 10 years, this tech will make a ton more sense then. It's like the PC. Initially it was not very useful because the hardware was not very powerful and the software was not there yet (not that it is now).
Old 02-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
That just gets rid of the upfront R&D costs. Even after that is out of the way - it still doesn't add up. Unless the hybrid "premium" can be lowered to $1000 it won't work. The higher the gas prices the higher the "premium" can be.
Hybrids absolutely make sense in Europe. Yes, there is a huge diesel market there but their gas prices are 4x what ours are.

Am I missing something. It seems a no-brainer.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Return of the rear engine Volkswagen.

Interesting.

Return of the Rear-engine Volkswagen

Automobile Magazine June 2007 20-21

The rear-engine Volkswagen is coming back. Sources deep inside VW's headquarters have indicated that the company currently is working on a rump-motored, water-cooled small car, one that mimics the original Beetle in both layout and purpose.

Here's what we know so far: Volkswagen's reinvention of its iconic people's car will have its engine situated on top of the transaxle and a radiator in the nose. Three wheelbase options and two body styles will be offered worldwide, but only two variations will come to the United States: a 130-inch-long Beetle reincarnation aimed at the Smart ForTwo and a no-frills, four-door notchback likely to be marketed as a smaller, cheaper Jetta. Pricing will be in the $10,000-to-$14,000 range.

Other details? As a cost-reducing measure, power steering won't be offered, but ABS, satellite navigation, and a sunroof will be available. Although third-world countries will receive a two-cylinder engine (emerging markets may even get a one-cylinder unit), U.S. cars will likely be powered by a turbocharged and direct-injected three-cylinder. According to our sources, reviving the rear-engine everyman's Volkswagen was largely Ferdinand Piëch's idea. Piëch--the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, the man behind the original Beetle--reportedly convinced VW chairman Martin Winterkorn that the dynamically challenged rear-engine layout was charming enough to succeed.

We don't doubt that a rear-engine layout can be made to work safely in an inexpensive small car. One executive has admitted that the company plans to "install [stability control] to address handling issues." But we're still not sold on the rear-engine idea.

VW long ago abandoned the people's car demographic for richer climes. Most recently, Piëch's grand vision for the brand lay in cars like the failed Phaeton. Now it's back to a bottom-of-the-market, rear-engine econobox? Considering the holes and lackluster offerings in VW's mainstream lineup, maybe its leaders should resist going off on wild tangents and concentrate on VW's core business: building cars for--you guessed it--ordinary people.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...n_rear_engine/
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Burning Brakes

grassroots approach....I like it
Old 05-10-2007, 03:50 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
As a cost-reducing measure, power steering won't be offered, but ABS, satellite navigation, and a sunroof will be available.
I don't get it ...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Bring it on !!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Race Director

Will that car be safe for USA roads? I recall I read somewhere the one problem with the old Beetles since the engine was in the back that if you got rearended the engine could cause a fire possibly.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Will that car be safe for USA roads? I recall I read somewhere the one problem with the old Beetles since the engine was in the back that if you got rearended the engine could cause a fire possibly.
No, it's not safe... that's why it's illegal to have a Porsche 911 in the USA, 'cause the engine has always been in the back

Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Race Director

I know a lot about cars mofos, Galvatron will kick your ass whoever gave me a neg rep! Coward show yourself!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Volkswagen bringing more diesel models to NA...one possibly a diesel hybrid

VW to produce new diesel model in the U.S., diesel-hybrid could be on the way

Although Ford may be putting its U.S. clean diesel plans on hold, Volkswagen is moving full steam ahead with its U.S. diesel plans. The German automaker recently launched its Jetta TDI clean diesel in the Sates, and a new report indicates at least one more diesel VW sedan is destine for the U.S.

Moreover, VW’s U.S. diesel plans will likely see the automaker producing a new diesel-powered sedan at the company’s new Chattanooga, Tennessee production plant. In an interview with the Chattanooga Daily, VW’s U.S. head, Stefan Jacoby, revealed that the company will produce a diesel-powered version of a new mid-size sedan – intended to compete with the likes of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord – at the company’s Tennessee plant.

“We don’t see any conflict between business and the economy and the environment,” he said.

VW will also produce a smaller version of the Jetta at the Tennessee plant – which will do battle with the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic – so it remains possible that it could also wind up with a diesel option.

Jacoby also suggested that VW could launch a diesel-hybrid powertrain in the coming years, but failed to give any more details on the project. However, he promised that the new technology would be “at the forefront” of low emissions tech.

The Chattanooga plant is scheduled to begin production in 2011, but now word on when the new diesel model will start rolling off the production line.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-to-pr...tml#more-10594

Diesel-Hybrid FTW!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
more diesels yay more hybrids nay...
Old 10-17-2008, 12:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ I can understand gasoline hybrid..meh, but meh to a diesel hybrid?!?!?! Why?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds sweet, but I can't ever see myself buying a VW.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
We'll see if your stance changes when your TSX's AC blows up.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
By smaller version of the Jetta, do the mean a differnent model? Or a Jetta, just smaller?

Diesel hybrid sounds like it will be cool.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
We'll see if your stance changes when your TSX's AC blows up.
Thanks for reminding me. At any rate, I'd still rather have the possibility of that than 200 annoying and possibly big issues with a VW.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Oh those Germans and their "built to break" cars.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I am morally against anything hybrid. In my eyes, its a scam and false sense of being socially responsible. And i especially hate toyota exploiting the fact that most customers dont know any better and are truly trying to help the environment. And if you thinks they save money, think again http://www.hybridcars.com/economics/...k-periods.html
Old 10-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
at built to break

that thing never goes away
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Hybrid for great city mileage, diesel for great hwy mileage. The best of both worlds- the question should be why hasn't this been done sooner?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by psteng19
Hybrid for great city mileage, diesel for great hwy mileage. The best of both worlds- the question should be why hasn't this been done sooner?
My thoughts exactly.

I don't really care "too much" for the whole environmental impact of the car...I do care about its impact in terms of mileage....and a diesel hybrid is having your cake and eating it too!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Volkswagen: Equipping Future Cars With Heat Recovery Systems

The International Thermoelectric Society website reported that Volkswagen showed a prototype vehicle equipped with a thermoelectric generator, recovering the dissipated heat energy and converting it into electricity. The prototype has been shown at the “Thermoelektrik - Eine Chance Für Die Atomobillindustrie?” meeting held in Berlin in October 2008.

Purportedly the thermoelectric generator is able to gain about 600W from a car running on a highway, meeting about 30% of the car’s electrical consumption requirements. For the moment, the thermoelectric generators haven’t been embedded in a hybrid car, although VW says with the current setup it can save about 5% of your fuel consumption (not 5L/100km, but 5% of 5L).

BMW and DLR (German Aerospace) also competed with Volkswagen by showing a system with a 200W output. They say it has been used for more than 12,000 km. They are both integrating TEGs with future gasoline powertrains. BMW even has them in their plan for the 2010 - 2014 Series 5 cars.
http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2009/...car-prototype/
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
neat...my friend was talking to me about how cool it would be to harness the heat that people put off
Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
^ It is indeed neat, but I don't think they are talking about dissipated heat from a person.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
they're not, but its related. i dunno, 5% isnt too much more.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
whatever

i want my 911 turbo like right now

who cares about hybrid
Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Intermediate

harnessing the heat off of people is what they did in the matrix, but the car is making that a reality
Old 02-13-2009, 02:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Volkswagen: Electric Cars News **New Models Announced (page 1)**

Toshiba and Volkswagen on Thursday unveiled a partnership to develop next-generation battery systems for electric cars.

For the Japanese conglomerate, the VW deal is just its latest green tech move. Though known in the United States mainly for its laptop computers, Toshiba is the General Electric (GE) of Japan - it makes everything from consumer electronics to medical devices to nuclear power plant components.

In January, Toshiba announced that it was getting into the solar power plant business to build photovoltaic farms for utilities. The company also said it would install carbon-capture technology at a coal-fired power plant in Japan as part of a pilot project.

But its development of advanced battery technology could have the biggest impact. Toshiba’s Super Charge ion Battery, or SCiB, can charge to 90% capacity in ten minutes, depending on its use, according to the company. Laptop versions of the SCiB can be discharged 6,000 times versus 500 times for a conventional battery. Larger versions of the battery are used to power electric bicycles and industrial equipment like forklifts. The real breakthrough will come if the SCiB can be adapted for electric cars.

“One of our big target markets is the automobile market,” Craig Hershberg, Toshiba’s director of environmental affairs, told Green Wombat. “We’re currently talking to one of the big automakers in the U.S.”

He declined to name the car company but General Motors (GM), Ford (F) and Chrysler have all accelerated electric car programs as have Toyota (TM) and Honda (HMC). Those talks probably will get a boost from the stimulus bill passed this week that gives a $7,500 tax credit to consumers who purchase plug-in electric hybrid vehicles.

The company is building a SCiB factory in Japan and is also exploring the potential of the SCiB to store electricity generated by solar power plants and wind farms.

“Toshiba aims to make SCiB a mainstay of its industrial systems and automotive products businesses worldwide,” the company said in a statement.
http://greenwombat.blogs.fortune.cnn...electric-cars/
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

fuck toshiba.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
So VW is outsourcing to the Japanese to do the work that they couldn't do.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc

fuck toshiba.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc

fuck toshiba.
Are you still bitter cuz they lost the HD-DVD war to Sony's Blu-Ray...?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Toshiba's quality is terrible. And it's still a battery. I hope EEStor's ultracapacitor technology pans out and Zenn gets the CityZENN w/ EEStor Ultracap out by the end of 2009 as they've been indicating!

http://www.autonet.ca/autos/news/env...6-autonet.html
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Volkswagen: Partnership with Garmin

Simplifying the debate between in-dash navigation systems and aftermarket portable units, Volkswagen has announced the launch of a new navigation system in conjunction with Garmin. Dubbed “Click & Ride”, the new system combines the best features of an in-dash nav system with the conveniences of a portable device.

Unlike typical OEM navigation units, VW’s “Click & Ride” navigation system uses a Garmin-supplied portable nüvi unit. The dealer-installed “Click & Ride” option also includes an integration kit, which does away with the suction cup mount and power cord usually associated with portable GPS devices.

The Garmin nüvi is installed on the dashboard just to the left of the steering wheel. All wires are discretely routed under the dashboard and connect to the back of the car’s radio. Thanks to that radio connection all directions can be given over the car’s speakers – the system even features a radio mute – and the optional Bluetooth kit offers hands-free calling.

The Garmin nüvi can be disconnected from its mount and be used like a typical portable unit. Moreover the entire system is only affixed with glue, meaning it can be moved to a new vehicle without any damage. VW has yet to announcing pricing for the “Click & Ride” system.

Although “Click & Ride” sounds like a terrific GPS alternative, it won’t be available in the U.S. – at least not yet. As of now, “Click & Ride” is only scheduled for a European rollout, be we suspect it will be making the trek across the pond in the coming months.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-teams...tml#more-18148

Paying $2k for an in-dash navi is a joke.
If pricing for this is around $500 this is perfect.
All mfg. should go this route IMHO.
Hope it comes to NA

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Development and Technology News