Volkswagen: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Volkswagen is worse than Enron

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cf9f73e8-6...#axzz3n1tD4IAr

It has only been a week since the stunning revelation that the Volkswagen group equipped millions of diesel-powered cars with software designed to fool anybody testing their emissions, and just days since the company’s chief executive, Martin Winterkorn, resigned.

And yet there are reasons to believe that the fallout from this scandal will be as big as Enron, or even bigger. Most corporate scandals stem from negligence or the failure to come clean about corporate wrongdoing. Far fewer involve deliberate fraud and criminal intent.

Enron’s accounting manipulation is often held up as a prime example of the latter and cases featuring the US energy company’s massive financial fraud are therefore taught in business schools around the world.

Here are seven reasons why the Volkswagen scandal is worse and could have far greater consequences.

First, whereas Enron’s fraud wiped out the life savings of thousands, Volkswagen’s has endangered the health of millions. The high levels of nitrogen oxides and fine particulates that the cars’ on-board software hid from regulators are hazardous and detrimental to health, particularly of children and those suffering from respiratory disease.

Second, led by Volkswagen, Europe’s car manufacturers lobbied hard for governments to promote the adoption of diesel engines as a way to reduce carbon emissions. Whereas diesel engines power fewer than 5 per cent of passenger cars in the US, where regulators uncovered the fraud, they constitute more than 50 per cent of the market in Europe thanks in large part to generous government incentives.

It was bad enough that Enron’s chief executive urged employees to buy the company’s stock. This, however, is the equivalent of the US government offering tax breaks at Enron’s behest to get half of US households to buy stock propped up by fraudulent accounting.

Third, the fines and lawsuits facing Volkswagen are likely to surpass Enron in both scale and scope. Volkswagen’s potential liability to Environmental Protection Agency fines is $18bn. Add to this fines in most or all of the 50 US states and class action lawsuits by buyers and car dealers who have seen the value of their cars and franchises diminish overnight and you have a massive legal bill.

No jury in the US will be lenient with a foreign car company that touted its “clean diesel” technology when the technology on board instead served to hide the fact that particulate emissions were up to 40 times greater. And that is before expert testimony about the effects on children with asthma. Yet crucially, fewer than 5 per cent of the cars in question were sold in the US and regulators in Europe, South Korea and elsewhere have already launched investigations. This is a truly global fraud and global scandal.

Fourth, Enron was wiped out when the revelation of its accounting fraud showed the company had been suffering massive losses. Volkswagen could get wiped out even though the company is financially healthy. The stock collapse is only the beginning. Potentially irreparable reputational damage, a crisis of confidence and massive legal liabilities could do the company in.

And whereas Enron was a young, though admittedly admired company, Volkswagen is the 78-year-old centrepiece of Germany’s most important industry.

Fifth, because of Volkswagen’s central role in Germany’s automobile industry, the scandal is a devastating blow to the country’s global image. For years, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen have used German slogans and tag lines in their English-speaking advertising to link their products to the country’s engineering prowess. Expect to see “Das Auto” and “Vorsprung durch Technik” to be wiped off billboards as fast as value has been wiped off German car manufacturers’ market caps.

It was fairly easy for most US companies to distance themselves from Enron’s fraud. It will be much harder for the rest of German industry.

Sixth, even if it turns out that other European and Asian car manufacturers who have invested heavily in diesel technology did not commit such brazen fraud, the scandal will probably reestablish the perception of diesel engines as dirty after two decades of concerted effort to change that view.

This will not only put hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk, but also deprive policymakers of a tool they counted on to reduce carbon emissions. In the long run, the impetus to develop even cleaner alternatives may be good but in the short run it is a massive problem for Europe in particular.

Seventh, and perhaps most importantly, whereas Enron tainted the accounting profession’s mantra of trustworthy financial reporting, Volkswagen’s fraud will for a long time confront anybody advocating technology and engineering as a means to achieving greater environmental sustainability.

“Clean diesel”, it turns out, is as much a lie as “clean coal”. Volkswagen’s abhorrent behaviour therefore threatens to delegitimise the countless and essential efforts by companies around the world to develop scalable environmental solutions.

Herein lies perhaps the biggest tragedy in this whole affair: Volkswagen has emboldened the cynics at a time when we need business efforts to save the planet more than ever.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
So I have a feeling the author of ^ article is shorting VW stock.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
^ +1, VW is not even close to Enron in terms of scandal
Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

2.1 million Audi Cars Have VW Emission Cheat Device

It begs the question of the EPA should testing EVERY car made under the VW group. Would this programming be in the gasoline versions as well?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/vw-scandal...--finance.html

Audi says 2.1m of its cars were fitted with emission cheating software, as Volkswagen is said to have suspended the research and development heads of three divisions.

The luxury car brand, which is a subsidiary of Volkswagen, has admitted that millions of its vehicles with so-called EU5 engines have an emissions "defeat device" installed.

Newer cars with EU6 engines aren't said to be affected.

The news comes as reports suggest the R&D chief of Audi, along with those of Volkswagen's core passenger car division and sports car maker Porsche, is reported to have been put on leave.

All three companies have declined to comment.

Volkswagen was forced to apologise last week after it was discovered that it had developed the device in order to trick emission tests in the US for some of its diesel models.

The devices are able to detect when cars are undergoing tests, and can switch the vehicle to a low emission mode in order to achieve more favourable results.

This means that many people have bought cars which are much less environmentally friendly than they had been led to believe.

According to the Audi spokesman, around 1.42 million Audi vehicles in Western Europe are fitted with the device, with 577,000 in Germany.

Another 13,000 Audi cars in the US are affected.

Vehicle lines involved include the Audi A1, A3, A4, A5, A6 and the TT, Q3 and Q5 models.

Volkswagen said last week that around 11 million of its cars worldwide have been fitted with the cheat device, 5 million of which were produced directly by its core VW brand.

Then CEO of the Volkswagen Group, Martin Winterkorn, has been forced to resign over the revelations after almost nine years in the job and was replaced by Matthias Müller, who has been the chief of another Volkswagen subsidiary, Porsche, since 2010.

German investigators subsequently announced they have started an investigation into Winterkorn, which will focus on "allegations of fraud in the sale of cars with manipulated emissions data".

Also on Monday, a European environmental organisation said it had found evidence that some new models Mercedes, BMWs and Volkswagen cars are consuming up to 50% more gasoline than lab tests have suggested.

The Transport & Environment organisation said that, while they had no evidence of cheat devices similar to those in Volkswagen diesel cars, the gap between fuel economy levels judged in lab tests and those seen in real road driving for gasoline (petrol) cars had risen to 40 percent in the past year.

They specifically singled out Mercedes for criticism, suggesting its A, C and E class models showed differences of over 50% between lab tests and real-world performance.

The organisation has called on EU governments which have announced investigations as a result of the Volkswagen controversy to broaden their probes to include petrol cars as well.

Last edited by Black Tire; 09-28-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
This issue is don't believe is isolated to the US... its a worldwide issue.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Race Director

It wouldn't surprise me if along with cheating on the emission part of the EPA test, that some makers cheat on the mileage test as well. The mileage one will be more obvious as it was with Kia since people can see the real world mileage numbers, whereas it is real hard to see emissions numbers. I don't mean cheat like Kia and simply run a bogus test, but make the car detect it is in some test mode and modify engine parameters to ace the test.

Last edited by biker; 09-28-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
One good thing to come out of this will be that car testing will now be done with real-world tests. Like a guy getting into a car and driving it for a while. For a long time the best comparison of gas mileage has been Car & Driver reviews where you could basically look up the mileage they got during their whole time with the car. Really hard to compare between different reviews but at least for the same comparison you know that all the cars were driven roughly the same way and you could see if there were significant differences in mileage, so could add that "correction factor" to their EPA rating.

However, none of this will happen if one of those Republicans who says he wants to dismantle the EPA gets elected. This fiasco shows that the EPA should have more funding if anything.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Exclamation

The VW Group isnt going anywhere, they are too massive. They will fix this and in 6 months to a year people will forget it happened.

Also this is why I love Germany.

Germany is coming down hard on its biggest carmaker over the diesel-emissions crisis, giving Volkswagen just over a week to come up with a fix to a problem eight years in the making.

Yesterday, VW received a letter from Germany’s Federal Motor Transport Authority, signed by transport minister Alexander Dobrindt, demanding that it deliver a binding plan and schedule to fix the 11 million “cheat code” diesel cars by October 7.

If Volkswagen can’t present a viable solution by then, according to Dobrindt, the German government would have no choice but to ban the 2.8 million affected cars from driving on that country’s roads. Switzerland has already banned affected cars from being sold, new or used, and other countries continue to investigate their options; the U.S. arm of VW issued a stop-sale order on new diesel VWs last week.

Volkswagen plans to present its solution within days to repair the affected cars, a spokesman said, and will notify customers and regulatory authorities around the world in writing. That’s not the only issue for VW, though, with German prosecutors opening up a criminal investigation of former Volkswagen Group CEO Martin Winterkorn over his role in what it is calling a “fraud scandal” that has shattered public confidence in the world’s biggest carmaker. The U.S. Department of Justice also has opened a criminal investigation.

The German prosecutor will attempt to get to the bottom of where ultimate responsibility lies for the scandal, which saw Volkswagen sneak around NOx emissions regulations by switching on its full exhaust-cleaning system only when it was tested in a laboratory.

Volkswagen itself filed a criminal complaint with the same prosecutor’s office last week and insists it will fully cooperate with and assist the public investigation. Winterkorn was replaced last week by Volkswagen Group lifer and ex-Porsche head Matthias Müller.
Germany Gives VW 10 Days to Present Solution to Emissions Problem ?News ?Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
However, none of this will happen if one of those Republicans who says he wants to dismantle the EPA gets elected. This fiasco shows that the EPA should have more funding if anything.
Right, because more gov't always fixes the ills of society.

In the age of Internet it will be very hard for any maker to fool the consumer for long - there's just way too much information available to everyone. And then there's the real world people experience with their cars - they know if the window sticker numbers are BS and will simply not trust that brand again. The makers can't afford to to do that. The only reason the current numbers are on the window sticker is because of the EPA. If left alone from EPA mandates the makers would put much more realistic and believable numbers on the stickers.

And in the grand scheme of things I much rather have a VW that pollutes slightly more for better mileage. Unlike the media and tree-huggers would lead you to believe, modern cars have virtually no effect on climate change. We have long ago reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of stricter pollution controls. CARB and other tree-huggers simply want the ICE outlawed and the EPA will cave to them unless some future administration puts common sense rules into place..
Old 09-29-2015, 04:23 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

well, it used to be massive.

Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer
The VW Group isnt going anywhere, they are too massive. They will fix this and in 6 months to a year people will forget it happened.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 AM
Race Director

Might be time to start buying VW stock.
The following users liked this post:
Crazy Bimmer (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:58 AM
Race Director

Assuming the recall will involve reflashing the ECU with firmware that will have the car running the same as during the emission test, I have a feeling people will either not take it in for the recall or the ECU flashing business will flourish to keep the current version in affected cars. Original cars might be worth more due to the better mileage.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
about time to get some real world MPG testing, for ALL cars.

Most of the MPG #s i have seen are all BS and unrealistic.

Including my own car. 21/32 my ass. i am averaging 20mpg and i drive 80% highway.

and i am not alone
2014 BMW 435i Mileage

for people who are getting 30+mpg in a 435.. i am not even sure how that will be possible even if i tried.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo

Including my own car. 21/32 my ass. i am averaging 20mpg and i drive 80% highway.

and i am not alone
2014 BMW 435i Mileage

for people who are getting 30+mpg in a 435.. i am not even sure how that will be possible even if i tried.
Eco-Pro Mode + tailwind + bump-drafting semis
Old 09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

I think we can make a strong case for false advertisement with unrealistic expectations.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:05 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Assuming the recall will involve reflashing the ECU with firmware that will have the car running the same as during the emission test, I have a feeling people will either not take it in for the recall or the ECU flashing business will flourish to keep the current version in affected cars. Original cars might be worth more due to the better mileage.
..... and likely more output power too.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

They won't re-new plates for these cars and probably start giving out hefty fines for people who have not gotten them upgraded.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:18 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Black Tire
They won't re-new plates for these cars and probably start giving out hefty fines for people who have not gotten them upgraded.
Because DMV knows what kind of ECU you have in your car?

Biker, who used to swap the ECU in his '86 Shelby Charger just to pass yearly emission test.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:34 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I'm sure somewhere, if it was ever still relevant, the Japanese fanbois are having a field day over this scandal.

German superiority? Yeah, nope. German stinkbomb.
LOL! well so far it's only VW....the other Germany makers are not proven to be cheating......yet!

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

No small diesel engines for Honda/Acura vehicles in North America either; even though some years back, Acura did attempt but failed to tailor-in a diesel motor for the North American TSX.
I read somewhere before that one of the Honda engineers were surprised at how VW managed to pass emission tests without urea injection years ago. I guess we now know the answer!

They could easily modify their existing diesels (just like Honda could) to meet US regs - they just don't see the return on that investment. A lot of this was caused by the EPA and CARB - notice there's no talk of this affecting older diesels. The regs were ratcheted up so much that even though a MY16 TDI is probably "cleaner" (even in the cheating mode) that an 08 TDI, they are now being recalled.
Yea...I believe adding an urea injection system would cost $3-$500/car, plus obviously the added expense needed for the customer to maintain that system. I think there are other diesel cars out there that meet emission regulations without urea. But those are more expensive cars which most likely use more sophisticated (ie. more $$) parts...which is again, not a possibility for a Jetta/Golf type of car.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
^+1 well put

apparently VW has tried a couple times to fix this in the last couple years with S/W changes.

FWIW, this was not some simple "if then else" statement in the code it was pretty complicated analytical S/W to detect multiple input factors
Interesting. Gotta admit though, to be able to dominate the diesel market in North America is too good of an opportunity to pass up for VW...lol....

and i am not alone
2014 BMW 435i Mileage

haha, that's the deal with downsized turbocharged engines! A lightly boosted 6 cyl engine can get V8-like output but with way better mileage..and likewise, a boosted I4 engine can get V6 like output with better mileage........in the EPA testing, that is.

The issue is that the EPA city and hwy test cycles are well known to automakers. It's easy for engineers to tune the car so that it does very well in these cycles. These cycles only require mild acceleration, which means boost is not needed most of the time. Obviously, when boost is not used, mileage goes up. Then there's the gearing - the engineers can gear the car so that it runs at the most efficient gear/rpm just for the tests.

Here's EPA hwy test cycle, note the acceleration at the beginning, that's like 20 seconds to go from 0-35mph. Then look at the 300-350s range, 50 s to go from 30 to 60mph. And note the top speed, 60mph.

EPA now also runs the high speed test, AC test, and cold temperature test. For the high speed test, there's only a moment that reaches 80mph. And again, acceleration is very slow.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

At least your car actually delivers some real performance though, unlike some other ones like the earlier Eco-boost powered vehicles which are slow and thirsty at the same time!

Last edited by iforyou; 09-30-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm the Firestarter

You can understand why it's hard to do a fair test. Higher performing cars are probably driven somewhat harder, but if you're the automaker you would want your car driven the same way as a Prius if you're comparing your mileage against the Prius. In real life a Prius driver will be hypermileing. As a BMW driver you could also be hypermiling, so what do you test, the way most people drive, the way you could drive if you wanted to get great mileage, or do you just follow the *exact* same pattern for every car that represents one example of a drive and that's achievable by every car that gets tested? The last way is the way the EPA does it now, and it doesn't represent what every owner would do, but it's consistent and "fair". As car capabilities evolve you can argue that the test should be adjusted to new driving patterns and comparisons with previous years' tests are not valid anymore. I believe the EPA has adjusted tests in the past too or intends to do so.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:20 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Volkswagen staff acted criminally, board member tells BBC

Oh boy....

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/volkswagen...154637650.html
A Volkswagen board member has told the BBC that he believes some of the automaker's staff behaved criminally over installation of devices to cheat on emission testing.

It was a startling admission from Olaf Lies, who is also economy minister of the German province of Lower Saxony as Volkswagen faces a barrage of legal costs in the widening scandal.

"Those people who allowed this to happen, or who made the decision to install this software —- they acted criminally. They must take personal responsibility," Lies told the BBC.

The world's largest automaker said Tuesday it would recall 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide to remove software that engages emissions controls for nitrous oxide when the cars are being tested, but disengages them when the vehicles are in operation.

Lies said he learned about the problems at the latest VW board meeting, although there had been questions about VW's diesel vehicle emissions in the U.S. for more than a year.

"Huge damage has been done because millions of people have lost their faith in VW. We are surely going to have a lot of people suing for damages. We have to recall lots of cars and it has to happen really fast," he said.

Internal probe to report today

The VW board meets on Wednesday to review the findings of an internal probe into the scandal.

New CEO Matthias Mueller will brief the board and is under pressure to release details about how VW will handle an enormously costly and potentially complicated recall.

It also will be facing external investigations into its record.

Already Germany has announced a criminal investigation of the company that could lead to charges against executives, including former CEO Martin Winterkorn.

And U.S. lawmakers have sent letters to VW demanding all documents and communications related to compliance with the Clean Air Act and federal and California emissions standards.

Saying there are "many unanswered questions," a Congressional committee also sent a notice to the Environmental Assessment Agency asking for details of its dealings with VW.

No charges under U.S. emissions law

"We will continue to investigate this deceptive activity on the part of Volkswagen to ensure that these blatant violations do not happen again and consumers can trust the products that they buy," Congress members Frank Pallone Jr. of New Jersey and Diana DeGette of Colorado said in a statement.

But the Justice Department has pointed out that the Clean Air Act does not provide for criminal prosecution of automakers or their executives.

Car companies, with the aid of industry-friendly lawmakers, won a carve-out from criminal penalties in the 1970 Clean Air Act — with the reasoning that it would be too costly and difficult to provide for criminal prosecution under the act.

That loophole has been forgotten over the years, but is likely to get more attention in the wake of the VW scandal.

Instead, VW could face millions, if not billions, of dollars in civil penalties under the Clean Air Act, as well as class action lawsuits by car owners.

Prosecutors are considering alternative legal approaches, such as charging Volkswagen with lying to regulators.

About 482,000 Volkswagen diesel cars were sold in the U.S. and more than 100,000 in Canada.

Environment Canada has opened its own investigation into Volkswagen and is working with the EPA to retest VW cars.
ttribe (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:04 PM

I believe Olaf Lies may be unfamiliar with the U.S. legal environment and the fact that his statement will now be used throughout this country to bring both civil and criminal cases against VW and its employees. Call it the proverbial 'bulletin-board material' from sports. This will get messier before it gets better.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by ttribe
I believe Olaf Lies may be unfamiliar with the U.S. legal environment and the fact that his statement will now be used throughout this country to bring both civil and criminal cases against VW and its employees. Call it the proverbial 'bulletin-board material' from sports. This will get messier before it gets better.
What do US laws have to do with his statement? He's in Germany, the execs German, they deceived EU and German regulators and customers, they could be prosecuted under German laws.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

You can understand why it's hard to do a fair test. Higher performing cars are probably driven somewhat harder, but if you're the automaker you would want your car driven the same way as a Prius if you're comparing your mileage against the Prius. In real life a Prius driver will be hypermileing. As a BMW driver you could also be hypermiling, so what do you test, the way most people drive, the way you could drive if you wanted to get great mileage, or do you just follow the *exact* same pattern for every car that represents one example of a drive and that's achievable by every car that gets tested? The last way is the way the EPA does it now, and it doesn't represent what every owner would do, but it's consistent and "fair". As car capabilities evolve you can argue that the test should be adjusted to new driving patterns and comparisons with previous years' tests are not valid anymore. I believe the EPA has adjusted tests in the past too or intends to do so.
Solution:
Hire the same type of drivers to do the EPA test. So the result is consistent.

or maybe they should just hire 1 driver.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ttribe
Eco-Pro Mode + tailwind + bump-drafting semis
I tried the Eco-pro mode for the very first time yesterday.
It was a 19 miles commute and i got +1.2 miles in Eco Pro in 19 miles of freeway.

RPM will not pass 2k..... and it gave me STARS for anticipating..... wtf

the graphics are cool tho...

the moment i exited the freeway, it was in sport plus and POWAAAAA.

Say no to Eco Pro
Old 10-01-2015, 11:33 AM

What do US laws have to do with his statement? He's in Germany, the execs German, they deceived EU and German regulators and customers, they could be prosecuted under German laws.
One, I said the U.S. legal environment.

Two, VW is facing the same issues in the U.S.

Three, U.S. lawyers will glom on to the fact that a member of the Board of Directors of the company made a statement about "criminal acts" by employees of the company that are directly related to this controversy. They will exploit this statement to attempt to show the fundamental corruption of VW company-wide (regardless of location).
Old 10-01-2015, 11:36 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

This would explain all the soot I see on the buildings when I go to Europe. I don't see soot on our buildings in North America.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:48 AM

I tried the Eco-pro mode for the very first time yesterday.
It was a 19 miles commute and i got +1.2 miles in Eco Pro in 19 miles of freeway.

RPM will not pass 2k..... and it gave me STARS for anticipating..... wtf

the graphics are cool tho...

the moment i exited the freeway, it was in sport plus and POWAAAAA.

Say no to Eco Pro
Agreed. I've tried that mode a few times on loaner cars and it's awful.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Solution:
Hire the same type of drivers to do the EPA test. So the result is consistent.

or maybe they should just hire 1 driver.
A human driver can't possibly be consistent enough just because he's a "type". And how do you quantify that? He could drive differently on different days. The EPA test right now requires the test driver to follow the exact acceleration curve of the test. That's an objective repeatable method and doesn't require you to hire a "type of driver", just a guy who's skilled with the gas pedal.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Robots.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

A human driver can't possibly be consistent enough just because he's a "type". And how do you quantify that? He could drive differently on different days. The EPA test right now requires the test driver to follow the exact acceleration curve of the test. That's an objective repeatable method and doesn't require you to hire a "type of driver", just a guy who's skilled with the gas pedal.
That is the problem.

Can you have consistent, repeatable acceleration in the real world? If so i should be able to have repeatable consistent commute time everyday.

Unless you are the only driver on the road, otherwise how is that test course even relevant to the real world?

That course is only good for comparison between cars, it does little to nothing for the real MPG.
So the question is, is EPA trying to compare cars or trying to get a realistic MPG?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:09 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Hahaha yea it's hard to conduct fuel economy tests. As belzebutt pointed out, the EPA cycles don't represent every owner out there....it's more like eco driving.....And car companies can tune their cars to perform very well in those cycles, if they choose to do so. It also gives a huge advantage to turbocharged cars as in those tests.

Back on topic, that VW board member sure has an interesting name...Olaf LIES.....
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Robots.
So, Yummy?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Robots?!??
Old 10-02-2015, 02:07 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Found this on another website. It shows which cars meet standards in Europe. Maybe someone here can translate?

The stock market is buying any of VW solutions..

Last edited by Black Tire; 10-02-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:58 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

The following 4 users liked this post by Black Tire:
Costco (10-05-2015), RPhilMan1 (10-05-2015), TacoBello (10-06-2015), ttribe (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 06:56 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
Found this on another website. It shows which cars meet standards in Europe. Maybe someone here can translate?

That's in Czech.

ADAC EcoTest : Oxidy dusíku NOx WLTC 2,0 (warm) Euro 5 a Euro 6 diesel osobní vozy, testováno od 2014

ADAC EcoTest : Nitrogen oxides NOx WLTC 2.0 (hot start) Euro 5 and Euro 6 diesel passenger cars tested since 2014

úroveň oxidů dusíku (měřeno se zahřátým motorem)

level of nitrogen oxides (measured with a warmed up engine)

hranice Euro 5

border Euro 5

homologováno jako Euro 5, ale splňuje Euro 6

approved as Euro 5 , but meets the Euro 6

homologováno jako Euro 5

approved as Euro 5

ADAC = Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club

WLTC 2.0 = Worldwide harmonized Light Vehicles test 2.0
RPhilMan1 (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
John Oliver - Volkswagen

Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Volkswagen Emissions Investigation Zeroes In on Two Engineers

Well this explains Audi's dominance in LeMans. If that engineer is found guilty, then Audi should be stripped of all the LeMans titles.

Volkswagen Emissions Investigation Zeroes In on Two Engineers - WSJ

WOLFSBURG, Germany—Two top Volkswagen engineers who found they couldn’t deliver as promised a clean diesel engine for the U.S. market are at the center of a company probe into the installation of engine software designed to fool regulators, according to people familiar with the matter.

The two men, Ulrich Hackenberg, Audi ’s chief engineer, and Wolfgang Hatz, developer of Porsche’s Formula One and Le Mans racing engines, were among the engineers suspended in the investigation of the emissions cheating scandal that sank the company’s market value by 43% since Sept. 18 and triggered a world-wide recall to refit the engines to meet clear-air standards, these people said.

Messrs. Hackenberg and Hatz, who didn’t respond to requests for comment, are viewed as two of the best and brightest engineers in German industry. They were put in charge of research and development at the Volkswagen group shortly after Martin Winterkorn became chief executive in January 2007. Mr. Winterkorn, who resigned over the scandal, couldn’t be reached for comment.

The company has acknowledged that managers, struggling to meet U.S. sales targets, masked the emissions of new-car engines to sell so-called clean diesel technology to skeptical American consumers. The car maker said as many as 11 million vehicles carried a “defeat device,” software that reduces tailpipe emissions only when the car is being tested, not on the road.

Several countries have since blocked sales of certain VW vehicles, and regulators are considering steps to tighten emissions standards for diesel engines.

The details haven’t been made public, but Volkswagen’s investigation is focused on Messrs. Hackenberg and Hatz, Mr. Winterkorn’s top aides during his tenure at Audi, as well as Heinz-Jakob Neusser, head of development at the VW brand, people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Neusser, also suspended, joined VW from Porsche in 2011, long after the diesel engines began production. He declined to comment.

Disclosure of the scam by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency last month unleashed criminal investigations of Volkswagen and its management in the U.S. and Europe, and threatened to bury the company in shareholder and customer lawsuits for years.

“Our company was dishonest with the EPA, and the California Air Resources Board, and with all of you,” Michael Horn, head of Volkswagen of America, told dealers last month in New York City. “We’ve totally screwed up.”

For years, Volkswagen sought a triumph in the U.S. As part of an expansion of the company to sell at least 10 million cars a year by 2018, Mr. Winterkorn’s strategy was to be a leader in the world’s three biggest markets.

Last edited by Black Tire; 10-05-2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Title
Old 10-05-2015, 11:58 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Development and Technology News