TVR: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,918 Likes on 14,039 Posts
TVR: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Eek! 23. Years. Old.
Man, how nice is that to own a car company at that ripe of an age...here's hoping that he has the experience and savvy to NOT drive (no pun intended) TVR into the ground. Always loved that company's cars...

====================

TVR sold

Taking a leaf out of Victor Kiam's book, 23-year old Russian millionnaire Nikolai Smolensky liked the company so much, that he bought it. But instead of buying into a shaving company he has just bought Blackpool's evergreen supercar maker; TVR.

The move is sure to raise eyebrows, as Nikolai's father Alexander is embroiled in controversy after his banking empire collapsed in 1998 during the financial crisis. While shifting assets into other companies, the SBS Agro Bank collapsed, leaving its investors facing bankruptcy - then Smolensky senior went on to launch another bank...

Although there are currently no plans for large-scale restructuring of TVR, new managerial appointments will shortly be announced. But the charismatic previous owner, Peter Wheeler, will be staying on to keep an eye on design and engineering, so for now we can hopefully expect more tyre-shredding wild-looking supercars to flow out of the factory.

The selling price for the company hasn't been disclosed, but recently figures in excess of £10 milion were being bandied about as a reasonable start point for negotiations. Yet the company's last set of accounts (for 2002) show a profit of just £400,000, and some fairly hefty invetsment is needed if the company is to expand.

Production has levelled off at around 1,000 units a year and for serious increases in this figure, TVR will need to sell cars to the US. Such a move will require setting up a dealer network as well as appointing a decent team of lawyers for the inevitable flood of lawsuits that's part and parcel of car selling in America. So not a small investment then...

TVR currently employs 400 workers, with Peter Wheeler having acquired the company in 1981 when the sole model was the Tasmin.

Story by Richard Dredge

Courtesy of www.topgear.com
Old 07-28-2004, 10:59 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be nice!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hehehe.... So TVR will go even more in the hole soon. Nice...
Old 07-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, what I don't get is why none of the big car companies have swooped down to buy TVR...? They make good cars, no? Or is there a giant warning sign on them that says hands-off?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
tvrs are very tempermental

they dont always work when u expect them 2...i think they would have been able 2 take care of all that problems w/the backing of an established automaker i.e .porsche
Old 07-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unsure
tvrs are very tempermental

they dont always work when u expect them 2...i think they would have been able 2 take care of all that problems w/the backing of an established automaker i.e .porsche
Typical British cars. You always need 2 of them. One for the road, another for the mechanic
Old 07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

i though the thread meant some one bougt A tvr ,not the whole company :wow:
Old 07-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nandowong
i though the thread meant some one bougt A tvr ,not the whole company :wow:
Oops...! My bad!...I guess the topic title was a bit misleading, hey?
Old 07-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
well this should finish the job
Old 07-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

I hope that guys knows his shit and dont bankroupt the company..

the first thing he needs to do is make the cars more reliable and sell the shit to the US.

tuscand and cerbera = the hottness
Old 07-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Racer

TVR sold to 24 year-old Russian

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/carnews30july2004/
Old 08-01-2004, 05:37 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Just another Russian tycoon not knowing what to do with his riches.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by biker
Just another Russian tycoon not knowing what to do with his riches.
Reading that very short article it sounds like he knows exactly what to do with his riches. Who would you rather own TVR, a rich car enthusiast, or a conglomerate like GM? I am also betting a man who owned a boutique car manufacturer for 23 years would like to pass it on to either make a killing (i.e. sell to a top 3-4) or to a passionate car lover who will continue the tradition of TVR.

/bill
Old 08-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
The guy is 24 - a lot happens when you are young regardless of how well off you are. I bet he doesn't own it by the time he's 30. If you were 24 with a lot of money would keep the same 911 for more than 5 years?
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Bound for Europe

Good point Biker

Hopefully he doesn't screw TVR up too much. I'd like to see them offered in NA though. He might be good for that happening.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by biker
The guy is 24 - a lot happens when you are young regardless of how well off you are. I bet he doesn't own it by the time he's 30. If you were 24 with a lot of money would keep the same 911 for more than 5 years?

So, no 24 year old can successfully run a company?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
What's TVR anyways?

EDIT: I actually read the article instead of being lazy.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:23 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
TVR Stays in Britain

TVR Stays in Britain
Move will happen in coming months

Independent British sports car manufacturer, TVR has finalised the first stage of its relocation plans, and would like to confirm that it will be remaining in Britain and predominantly within Lancashire, the region in which the company was founded in 1947.

For the foreseeable future, TVR will operate from a new international headquarters in Lancaster, where the management, sales and marketing teams, as well as research and development, will all be based. There will also be a TVR museum and an archive library at the headquarters, to which press, visitors, customers and enthusiasts will be warmly welcomed.

Following extensive discussions with the local council, final production of TVR cars will also remain within Lancashire, at a confirmed plant in the Squires Gate area of Blackpool. It is planned that some sub-assembly manufacturing will eventually be conducted away from the new plant, but that remains the subject of further discussion and is linked to new materials technology that will be a feature of future TVR models.

The new facilities, to which TVR will be moving within the coming months, will help TVR achieve Euro IV type approval and to realise an increased international presence, as well as to further its programme of continuous quality improvements. The relocation will be carefully managed to minimise disruption, and customers' orders will be unaffected.

"This is the first stage of transition for the company," said David Oxley, managing director of TVR. "The Squire’s Gate facility will enable us to increase our volumes in-line with Euro IV approval and with the opening up of new international markets for TVR. The Lancaster headquarters will also increase efficiency in our administration, research and development, aftersales and sales and marketing departments."

These strategic moves by TVR continue to strengthen its position as one of the very few remaining truly British sports car manufacturers, a claim of which it is extremely proud. The company remains committed to producing exhilarating premium performance cars, something it has done for almost 60 years and a tradition that it's looking forward to continuing well into the future.

Nikolai Smolenski, TVR's chairman added: "Our eventual plan is a brand new factory for TVR, but our choice of site for that facility is a decision to be made in the future. We have introduced a relocation strategy that allows TVR to grow into the international company that has always been my vision, and to continue to build on the improved quality using a skilled and committed local workforce."
Old 06-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Feeds pigs bacon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stay overseas, i don't want those hideous cars roaming the streets of the US.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Good news,.................this means more Top Gear tests of TVR's.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I like TVR.

I wish they'd bring back the Cerbera.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by fabrikated
stay overseas, i don't want those hideous cars roaming the streets of the US.

And those hideous cars still looked better than most cars on the US roads.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ

And those hideous cars still looked better than most cars on the US roads.
Maybe or maybe not - each to his own.

IMO, they are overhyped and hideous. But most of all, they are of piss poor quality. Want a TVR in the US? Buy a Vette. Just my
Old 06-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

TOP GEAR's last issue said that TVR = dead

Nobody really knows.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

TVR: Wheeler Passes Away at 64

From Motor Authority...

Niche British sports car manufacturer TVR is known for its wild, off-the-wall designs and the formidable nature of its cars when pushed to their limits. Sadly, Peter Wheeler, the man who was instrumental in building the brand for over two decades has passed away at the age of 64, following a short illness.

Wheeler's reign at the helm of TVR for 23 years was the longest period any one individual continuously ran the company. Taking ownership in 1981, Wheeler was instrumental in the design and marketing of several famed TVR models, including the cars that arguably cemented the company’s brand identity as a passionate sports car manufacturer. Under his ownership, Wheeler oversaw construction of the Griffith, Chimeera, Cerbera and the mighty Sagaris.

Wheeler was also present for the construction of TVR's Cerbera Speed 12, a vehicle he described as too powerful for the road and thus decided against putting it into serious production - probably a good thing considering that more tame TVR's are already a handful to drive while the Cerbera boasted a top speed of 240mph and close to 1,000hp (746kW) from its V12 engine.

Currently, TVR is owned by 29-year old Russian banker Nikolai Smolensky, who reportedly bought the company from Wheeler for close to £15 million back in 2004. Despite the sale being half-a-decade ago, Wheeler's influence is still seen throughout the company, especially in its eye-catching Sagaris model that Wheeler, a chemical engineer by trade, helped to design.

Wheeler's legacy will continue to live on through TVR with news emerging last year that the troubled automaker will be coming out with a revised Sagaris and dialing up production, following years of economic turbulence following Smolenski's takeover.
http://www.motorauthority.com/tvr-le...at-age-64.html
Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 5,547 Likes on 3,784 Posts
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...ed-8-september

Goodwood Revival debut for 200mph British V8 coupe. Launch car will cost just under £90k

TVR has announced that it will reveal its all-new, 200mph supercar on 8 September 2017 at the Goodwood Revival; the first time a car manufacturer has ever done so at the event.

It will form the centrepiece of a display of many more TVR cars too, to celebrate the company’s 70th anniversary. Cue lots of noise (and perhaps the odd drop of oil here and there).

What do we know about the new car then? That it’ll weigh 1,200kg, offer up 400bhp per-tonne from a 5.0-litre, Cosworth-developed V8, and be able to go from 0-60mph in under four seconds.

TVR also promises that the new supercar will be able to top 200mph. So it’s plenty fast. It’s been designed with input from Gordon Murray’s company, and will use part-carbon construction from Murray’s iStream manufacturing process, which aims to make lighter, sandwiched carbon panels is a fraction of the time and cost of traditional CFRP.

Limited to 500 cars and dubbed ‘Launch Edition’, these carbon-cladded cars will also feature ground effect aero too. A small allocation of this initial run has been held back for the world debut at Goodwood, and order books will reopen again at the Revival. We already know at least 300 people have put down deposits on the new TVR, so the Launch Edition could go at Goodwood…

The cost of this Launch Edition? Under £90,000. “After a series of private viewings organised for the benefit of existing customers for the new car, we know that we have a surefire hit on our hands, and very much look forward to welcoming them to the Revival in September,” TVR boss Les Edgar explains.

Edgar, no stranger to a soundbite, has previously told TG that TVRs should be “all about wheelspin outside the local pub” and hinted the Porsche Cayman, BMW M2 and Jaguar F-Type have been handling benchmarks. Roll on the results of all that fighting talk at Goodwood Revival…
Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...VR-supercars#1

As TVR returns, TG explores the best, and maddest, of the Brit marque’s creations

Ferrari and TVR have two major things in common: they’ll both be 70 in 2017, and they’re both named after their respective founders.

Sadly for the British end of the equation, Ferrari sounds faster than Trevor, and Maranello - as industrial as it is - is closer to Bologna and conspicuously not Blackpool. Nerapiscina, anyone?

Even so, and despite frequent brushes with bankruptcy, the abbreviated TVR managed to punch so far above its weight, particularly during its 1990s heyday, that it could have floored Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson and Carl Froch simultaneously.

Yes, TVRs enjoyed questionable reliability, and a fast drive down a wet B-road could turn a fully paid-up atheist into a swivel-eyed born-again Bible-wrangler.

They smelt a bit funny, too. Well of adhesive, to be honest, enough to get you moderately high, which meant you simply giggled gormlessly as another bit of trim flopped onto the floor.

But they were also an an adventure, a rite-of-passage for a generation raised on front-drive hot hatches suddenly initiated into the black art of oversteer, and their irresistibly curvy, hourglass shapes became steadily more psychedelic. For a while, in fact, Top Gear and TVR went together like fish and chips, until boss Peter Wheeler (rest his soul) cashed in and flogged his baby to a pubescent Russian. Cue the mushy peas.

Now, as you’ll surely know, TVR is back, British-owned, and will be heartily infused with Gordon’s Murray’s design genius and Cosworth power. The new supercar will even top 200mph. Until we see the final thing at the 2017 Goodwood Revival, here are the company’s greatest hits.

Grantura (1960s)

The start of TVR as anyone under the age of about 95 would recognise it. Available with no fewer than two different Ford engines, two Coventry Climax engines, or the B-series unit used by the MGA.

It was a golden era for British sports cars in America, and Granturas were imported by a bloke called Roy Saidel. Not as impressive as the main British dealer’s name - H & J Quick. Or an early proposal for the car’s name: Hoo Hill Hellcat.

Vixen (late 1960s)

Coincided with the arrival of Martin Lilley as new owner and a move to Bristol Avenue premises. Also coincided with TVR’s eye-catching fondness for draping scantily clad ladies over their motor show cars, which aroused - steady - the ire of the SMMT.

350i/420 SEAC (1980s)

Pretty if period wedgy late-1970s Tasmin morphed gradually into the TVR that would straddle the ’80s and ’90s.
Former chemical engineer Peter Wheeler had acquired the company, and Ford’s Cologne V6 was bumped in favour of Rover’s redoubtable V8 - in 1983, 190bhp was a load of grunt, and certainly enough for the 350i’s chassis to cope with. Except that it wasn’t, which is where the 420 SEAC came in touting 300bhp from its bored-out and revised engine.
Also featured a Kevlar/fibreglass composite body, and dinner table rear spoiler. Barking.

Griffith 500 (1990s)

The very essence of modern British sports car, the Griff arrived in 1991 and exited in 2002, managing the world’s longest drift throughout the whole of the 1990s as it did so.
TVR’s prolonged fettling of the Rover V8 resulted in 340bhp, and as it weighed barely more than a tonne we’re talking a big-cojones power-to-weight ratio. Some of these cars may have crashed.

Chimaera (1992)

TVR’s doozy, a slightly more cultured, softly suspended GT take on the hairy-arsed Griff. Started life with a comparatively civilised 240bhp, ended up with 100 more, via 4.3 4.5 and 5.0-litre incarnations.
Wheeler’s dog Ned said to be responsible for the distinctive bonnet slashes. Still a better car designer than some humans we could name.

Cerbera (1996)

As Wheeler was about 20ft tall, all hail the vaguely ludicrous looking yet entirely wonderful Cerbera. It also had the distinction of being the first 2+2, and more significantly the first TVR to use the company’s own engine, the AJP6 and AJP8.
This commitment to going its own way was equal parts barmy and inspired, but put severe financial strain on the company. The throttle travel was so long the pedal passed through several different time zones, but helped compensate for the Cerbera’s amusing surplus of power over grip.
And the absence of traction control. TVR didn’t do traction control. God no. That was the devil’s doing, that was.

Tuscan (1999)

Co-starred with John Travolta and Halle Berry in forgotten Hollywood heist flick Swordfish (the film in which, fact-fans, Miss Berry got a $500,000 bonus for, ahem, disrobing).
But the Tuscan is better remembered as arguably the best-looking TVR of all. And one of the best to drive, once they’d sorted the initially wayward chassis. Red Rose version made 380bhp. Waywardness not an asset here.

Sagaris (2003)

The swansong for TVR, at least until the next-gen emerges. Even deep into the Noughties, TVR somehow gave ABS, ESP and airbags the swerve, as they were all counter to the company’s adrenalised philosophy.
Sagaris was named after an ancient Greek battle-axe, and its super-fast steering and narrow slip angles made it appropriately knife-edgy on the race-track. Focused the mind like few other cars, ever.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 AM

I remember seeing a Tuscan when I was in London back in '03 in the color shift paint [/CSB]