TSX Superiority

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Superiority

Well gotta keep Larch happy and I know everything isn't perfect

1) Everyone is raving about the cluster, it is ok, but I still like the TSX clusters FAR better

2) Inside the armrest seems more usable bigger space and the power supply is far easier to access at the angle. Also I am not sure if the TL has a notch to bring a phone charger wire out when armrest is closed. Not sure if TL has pen holder either

3) Has regular black plastic instead of ugly carbon fiber on center console

4) Side mirror turn indicators are nice

5) joystick for nav is black

6) dash compartments more accessible

7) NO OLD FOGIE TAPE DECK!!!!!

8) cluster lights for gear (D, R, N) light up the letter, not just a dot next to it (I think)

9) bottom air dam looks more normal and clean

OK, with all that being said and out of my system (I like complaining) the TL is still far superior, but I made some TSXers happy for a bit at least

(Both cars seem to stretch and bunch up the leather pretty fast, not likeing that at all)
Old 10-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: TSX Superiority

Originally posted by moreace
....the TL is still far superior.....
Only in HP/Torque. Ok, you guys can flame me..........now.

The bunchy part isn't leather in the TSX. Don't know about the TL.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

OK, with all that being said and out of my system (I like complaining) the TL is still far superior, but I made some TSXers happy for a bit at least
Old 10-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: TSX Superiority

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Only in HP/Torque. Ok, you guys can flame me..........now.
HP/Torque means just about everything to me. Plus the TSX is a little small for a family car which is what the TL will be for me sometime early next year.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: TSX Superiority

Originally posted by AcUrAgUy
...the TSX is a little small for a family car ....
Ok, you got me. TL is superior in HP/Torque + being a family car :P
Old 10-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Über Geek

Re: Re: Re: TSX Superiority

…for a family car which is what the TL will be for me sometime early next year.
So, are you getting a TL next year or is your family just getting bigger?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Getting the TL next year (probably). The family is as big as it's going to get.

I have a 96 Maxima that I want to get rid of and replace with a TL. I don't want to get something smaller as the Maxima/TL are the right size for me. I'm sure the TSX is the right car for a lot of people, just not for me. Plus I don't want a 4 cyl car ever. Just my personal preference. Been there, done that, don't wanna go back. In fact, what I really want is a small V8 (3.5-4.0 liter) with a high compression ration, variable valve timing and RWD in the TL. But, can't have it all unfortunately. I drove the TSX (about 2 months ago) only to get an idea of what the TL was going to be like. I liked the car a lot. I just can't get a car that small with that small of an engine. IMO, the TSX is for single people, newlyweds, people that are satisfied with 200hp and people who don't want to pay as much as the TL costs. I'm not one of those people. I'm sure there are others that the TSX does the trick for that I am ommiting. Sorry 'bout that. No flame intended.

BTW - I don't want an RL either. Too big. The TL should be perfect for me.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Pro

Well gotta keep Larch happy and I know everything isn't perfect

1) Everyone is raving about the cluster, it is ok, but I still like the TSX clusters FAR better

2) Inside the armrest seems more usable bigger space and the power supply is far easier to access at the angle. Also I am not sure if the TL has a notch to bring a phone charger wire out when armrest is closed. Not sure if TL has pen holder either

3) Has regular black plastic instead of ugly carbon fiber on center console

4) Side mirror turn indicators are nice

5) joystick for nav is black

6) dash compartments more accessible

7) NO OLD FOGIE TAPE DECK!!!!!

8) cluster lights for gear (D, R, N) light up the letter, not just a dot next to it (I think)

9) bottom air dam looks more normal and clean

(Both cars seem to stretch and bunch up the leather pretty fast, not likeing that at all)
1)I like the pods, but agree the TSX gauges look nicer and seem more legible.

2)Love the TL center console, no complaints here.

3)The black plastic on the center console in the TSX looks cheap IMO, like something you would find on a Civic. I much prefer the fake carbon fiber/wood which is at least somewhat convincing as being something other than just plastic.

4)Agreed.

5)Brushed alloy/metal knob looks nicer

6)Dash compartments seem about the same to me. Both are too small.

7)Everyone else still includes a tape deck, what's the issue?

8)Redundant gear indicators are somewhat pointless anyway IMO.

9)True, but you can't see it unless you are really far away from the car or a kid/midget.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:43 PM
TSX Lover

The TSX also HANDLES a lot better!!!! At least that is the case with the 5AT. We will just have to see about the 6MT.

The TL does have many, many things I would like to see in the TSX: Great stereo, DVD-Audio, Bluetooth, Lighted buttons on steering wheel, nicer interior colors (better looking wood). I am sure I am forgetting a few things.

The TSX also has a nicer front end (the flat finish TL grill sucks, IMO). More my size, better milage.

OK, put that list above and 20 more HP in the TSX and you have the perfect car.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by prballard
The TSX also HANDLES a lot better!!!! At least that is the case with the 5AT. We will just have to see about the 6MT.
The TSX may handle better, but to say it handles "a lot" better is somewhat of a baseless statement. Unless we have a side by side review comparing skidpad & slalom times it's really hard to say for sure by how much the two differ. My *guess* based upon driving the two back to back is the TL would be slower by about 1mph in the slalom and generate .02 g's less cornering force on the skidpad for the auto, a near match for the 6 speed model and slightly better numbers than the TSX for the A-Spec.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Pro

.......I have a 96 Maxima that I want to get rid of and replace with a TL. I don't want to get something smaller as the Maxima/TL are the right size for me. ......
Hey, I just did that, got rid of my 96 Max SE for the TL, it is a very good fit, just about same size and interior room (the Max had a lot of it) and comperable speed. Very Nice!

Regarding the console, no it does not have a pass through for the power cord! (no pen holder that I can see)

I do like the gauges better on the TSX vs the fake 3-d blue ring.

I miss the mirror indicators on the TSX\

Hate the flimsy black plastic GM type air scoop on the bottom (bottom feader) already rubbed it on a driveway and a gas station entrance - It reminds me so much of the GM days!

However, I do love the car and would not trade it, if only the TSX had a little more space in the back, it would have been hard to pass up though (oh, I did have a TSX 5AT overnight, it was just a little more fun to drive than the TL, but not that much).

Also, does anyone remember that the TOV boys posted that the 04TL 6spd MT with HPT had 0.90G's on the skid pad (per acura) and 0.84g for the all seasons and 6spd????? Big jump, so the biggest bang for the buck in the handling dept for the TL will be TIRES!
Old 10-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Pro

Originally posted by need4spd
Hey, I just did that, got rid of my 96 Max SE for the TL, it is a very good fit, just about same size and interior room (the Max had a lot of it) and comperable speed. Very Nice!

Comparable?, I would assume the TL would blow a 96 Max away
Old 10-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by need4spd
Also, does anyone remember that the TOV boys posted that the 04TL 6spd MT with HPT had 0.90G's on the skid pad (per acura) and 0.84g for the all seasons and 6spd????? Big jump, so the biggest bang for the buck in the handling dept for the TL will be TIRES!
Actually, they misquoted the Acura literature (I think they just misread the different colums). If you go to the following site and click on Chassis, you will see that the 6-speed w/ all seasons does 0.86g, the 5AT does 0.84g, and the HPT 6-speed does 0.90g (est.). If those numbers turn out to be accurate, the TL should do well when the major mags finally test it...

http://hondanews.com/Forms/acura/TL/...h+currentacura
Old 10-14-2003, 04:51 PM
More On

Well gotta keep Larch happy.....
OK, with all that being said and out of my system (I like complaining) the TL is still far superior......
:'( :'(

That's OK, the Yankees are keeping me happy.

(You're not a Sox fan, are ya by any chance Mo?)

(P.S. For anybody who doesn't necessarily see every thread we've ever had: Moreace's name comes from Mo Vaughn.)
Old 10-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Pro

watching right now. Every time we get in a sweet position u get a stupid double play. happened 3 times already. your 1st 3 runs should never of happened, waht is the deal w/ the retard juggling the ball for 5 min, that was an easy out to end the inning. GRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 10-14-2003, 05:37 PM
TSX Lover

I stand by what I have said. IMO the TSX handles a lot better. (talking about 5AT). ASPEC and high performances tires should not be in the discussion. Lets compare apples to apples.

The .84G for the 6MT TL (Acura) and .85G for the 6MT TSX (C&D) sounds about what I was hoping for out of the TL. What is your take on this Larch? Of course there is a lot more to handling than just numbers, there is feel.

No offense to all of those buying 2004 TL 5AT, it is just not for me.

Now, the 6MT Maybe.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:39 PM
TSX Lover

I saw the front grill of the TL under natural light today. It doesn't look as bad as I thought. The first one I saw was at night in a showroom.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by prballard
I stand by what I have said. IMO the TSX handles a lot better. (talking about 5AT). ASPEC and high performances tires should not be in the discussion. Lets compare apples to apples.

The .84G for the 6MT TL (Acura) and .85G for the 6MT TSX (C&D) sounds about what I was hoping for out of the TL. What is your take on this Larch? Of course there is a lot more to handling than just numbers, there is feel.

No offense to all of those buying 2004 TL 5AT, it is just not for me.

Now, the 6MT Maybe.
I respect your opinion, but don't confuse it for anything more than an just that, YOUR OPINION.

And as for the skidpad numbers, I think if you read a couple posts back it was discussed that the actual numbers from Acura are .84 for the auto and .86 for the 6 speed. Car and Driver hasn't published any instrumented testing yet on the TL.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Comparable?, I would assume the TL would blow a 96 Max away
You'd be surprised how quick the 96 Maxima is. Doesn't have the hp numbers of the tl or the modern goodies, but it has a lot of torque. It's rated at 190hp, 205lbs torque and about 6.5-7.0 seconds 0-60 (if I remember right) but seems much quicker when you drive one. Probably because it has a lot of low-end torque. It launches very quickly. Most cars I have test driven (A4, 330i, TL, C320) don't have a huge noticeable "seat-of-the-pants" difference in launches. And, in some cases they are slower off the line (or so it seems to me). Even the new Maxima seems a little slower off the line. Maybe that's because my engine is well-broken in

And, BTW, since the Maxima is rather quick, runs like new (106,000 miles, I'm the only owner) and is paid for makes me consider waiting a while before I buy the TL (300+hp, Type-S, AWD maybe???). TMV for my Maxima is about $6200 and I seriously doubt you could find as good a car at that price. In order to purchase a new car that tops it, I have to give up my Maxima plus 30k!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Pro

You'd be surprised how quick the 96 Maxima is. Doesn't have the hp numbers of the tl or the modern goodies, but it has a lot of torque. It's rated at 190hp, 205lbs torque and about 6.5-7.0 seconds 0-60 (if I remember right) but seems much quicker when you drive one. Probably because it has a lot of low-end torque. It launches very quickly. Most cars I have test driven (A4, 330i, TL, C320) don't have a huge noticeable "seat-of-the-pants" difference in launches. And, in some cases they are slower off the line (or so it seems to me). Even the new Maxima seems a little slower off the line. Maybe that's because my engine is well-broken in

And, BTW, since the Maxima is rather quick, runs like new (106,000 miles, I'm the only owner) and is paid for makes me consider waiting a while before I buy the TL (300+hp, Type-S, AWD maybe???). TMV for my Maxima is about $6200 and I seriously doubt you could find as good a car at that price. In order to purchase a new car that tops it, I have to give up my Maxima plus 30k!!!
Absolutely correct on the 96 maxima, it was fast even though people did not know it, esp with the 5spd manual (like I had). Road and track had it at 6.6 and car&driver at 6.7. But the car pulled and got great gas milage (rated 23city/30 highway in MT and got those + some in real life).

My comparison was for the 96 Max SE MT to the TL Auto (I went for auto for the first time in 23yrs so my wife could finnaly drive my car ). So yes, they are close in accel times 6.6 for max MT and 6.6 for TL AT per Acura, with a few tenths shaved off for the magazines when they are done with it.

Also my max had 235/45-17 performance rubber on it with a high flow K&N intake with larter sway bars which made it similar in handeling to the TL (although the TL is certianly more composed). Also the interior space and overall dims of the cars are very close, and both had a pass through from the trunk.

Anyway, back to the TSX.