Toyota: Tacoma News

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...mpact-pickup/1

Toyota's renewed commitment to the top-selling compact pickup is in contrast to Ford and GM. Ford has discontinued the Ranger in the U.S., even though it has a new model that it will sell in other global markets. And GM is dropping the current Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon, though it has said it may bring the redesigned global version to the U.S. later.

The 2012 Tacoma continues to be available in three cab types -- regular, an extended "Access Cab" and a four-door "Double Cab" -- in 4x2 and 4x4 configurations.

Base prices will range from $16,875 for a regular cab 4x2 with the 2.7-liter four-cylinder and five-speed manual to $27,835 for the Double Cab 4x4 long bed with the 4.0-liter V-6 and a five-speed automatic. The price are up -- ranging from 10 bucks to $645 more, depending on the configuration. All prices are plus $810 for shipping.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Race Director

http://bcove.me/n5pnpvlg

Video tour of the new Tacoma
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Race Director

With GM also getting out of the small pickup business, this ugly truck should sell quite well.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Post 2011 Toyota Oakley Surf Tacoma

Press release...

The 2011 SEMA Show will be the scene for the debut of the Oakley Surf Tacoma. From the coast of Baja to the cold water of Santa Cruz, Calif., the Oakley Surf Tacoma has the ability to live at the beach and go anywhere in search of mega waves. Australian surfing pro Tom Whitaker will be on hand to talk about the Oakley Surf Tacoma at a press conference in the Toyota exhibit at the SEMA Show on Nov. 1at 10 a.m. Pacific Time.

Built using a rugged Toyota Tacoma 4x4 pickup equipped with a V6 engine and TRD supercharger that generates 304 horsepower, the truck was customized by Smithbuilt to be a Surfing Big Wave Assault Machine. Additional performance modifications include a Flowmaster stainless steel exhaust, an Icon stage 3 lift kit, Billet top A arms, new leaf springs for added height, a new front coilover system, and Walker Evans 17 x 8 bead lock wheels with a flat black finish mounted to BF Goodrich 285/75-17 all-terrain tires.

Inside modifications include Wet Okole Hawaii custom embroidered seat covers, Topstitch interior modifications on the door panels, head liner and carpet kit throughout, a Kicker sound system and an Oakley icon.

This unique Toyota Tacoma is a surfer’s dream as it is equipped with a purpose-built roof racking system for heavy hauling and can be accessed with ease for surf bag stowage and multiple board storage. The truck bed system, which has a lot of storage for wet suits and other equipment, also comes with an ice chest and barbeque grill. Meals and cold drinks can be enjoyed under a shade system that is equipped in the back of the roof rack system. Living comfort is also achieved with and integrated shower system. Illumination is supplemented with Vision X lighting in the bed and front driving lights.

After SEMA, the Oakley Surf Tacoma will follow the waves and appear at all Oakley surf competitions. Surf’s up!

OAKLEY SURF TACOMA FEATURES

TACOMA 4X4
- TRD Supercharged (304 horsepower)
- K&N air filter
- Flowmaster stainless steel exhaust
SUSPENSION
- Icon stage 3 lift kit
- Billet top A arms
- New leaf springs for added height
- New front coilover system
BUMPERS
- Front – Arb Rear – Custom – Mike Smith Fabrication
- Arb deluxe bull bar
- ARB winch kit
- Two – eight-inch Vision X HID’s
- Mike Smith Fabrication rear bumper and tire rack
ROOF RACKING SYSTEM/REAR BED – MIKE SMITH FABRICATION
- Customized to hold 6-8 surf boards
- Custom access doors
- Integrated driving light by Vision X
- Oakley net system for extra storage
- Integrated shower system
- Custom storage system throughout truck bed
WHEELS AND TIRES
- Walker Evans 17 X 8 bead locks/flat black finish
- BF Goodrich 285/75-17 All Terrain Tires
INTERIOR
- Wet Okole Hawaii seat covers custom embroidered
- Oakley icon
- Topstitch interior mods to include door panels, head liner and carpet kit throughout
- Kicker Sound System
EXTRAS
- Storage cooler
- Storable barbecue grill
- On board air compressor supplied by VIAIR Corporation
- ARB rear canopy

PARTNERS/CONTRIBUTORS
- ICON
- BFG
- Walker Evans Wheels
- Vision X lighting
- Smithbuilt
- ARB
Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Not too crazy about looks of that thing on the back but I like tacomas in general and I would definetly drive this
Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
Paint it yellow and it'd be perfect for Baywatch.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
A Tacoma to me is perfect in its original form.

Black. TRD. ExtraCab. Period.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:17 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
A Tacoma to me is perfect in its original form.

Black. TRD Sport. ExtraCab. Period.
just took the words right out of my mouth. Tweaked it a little though hate the chrome grille & rear bumper on the TRD Off-road. But really like the locking rear diff.... argh

I want a white one though, dunno why. I'd despise owning a black vehicle no matter what it was unless I had a personal slave to detail my car every week or two.

DAMN I want a Taco.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
i love tacomas

my dad has a lifted 06 Prerunner Double Cab short bed. its clean truck. i wish it was mine

when it comes family time, i wouldnt mind a Taco or last gen 4runner for myself
Old 10-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2015 Toyota TRD Tacoma

Press release...

TRD Pro suspension
TRD off-road tires and wheels
Undercover hidden winch mount system
DC Safety off-road emergency kit
Small cooler w/holder
Coleman large metal cooler
Rigid E-series 40” light bar mounted with N-Fab mount
Rigid E-series 30” (bumper)
Lowrance 7” GPS
Radio chase RCI radios w/antenna
Smittybilt 2747 power air tank
Jegs Pro alum. jack, 2.0 ton w/skid
Smittybilt 97495 XRC 9.5k winch, Gen 2
Smittybilt 2809 aluminum fairlead with misc. 8g/10g connectors
Atlas sling
N-Fab T054BR custom bed bar
N-Fab T0530LD light bar w/hoop
N-Fab T054RKRCC rockrail with detachable step
N-Fab T0540LR roof mount
Full leather two tone interior with TRD logo in headrest
Superior Dash carbon-fiber interior kit
Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
What do you guys think of the new gen? ( iPad won't let me copy/paste link )

Specs seem decent: 3.5 DI with a power increase of "about 50 horsepower," and a 6AT.

I personally expected more as far as styling.

Edit: link added

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

Last edited by crazyasiantl; 01-13-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Looks nice to me. The V6 can be had with a 6MT!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
I like it.

I am in the market, and will either get a new 2016 Double cab or a SR Double Cab Tundra. Still deciding.

Previously v6 and manual could only be had on the 4x4 double cab high end trim. I would really like the v6 manual on the 2wd low end trim.

For me the truck would be used as a truck, so I want the biggest engine, with the lowest trim level.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2016 Toyota Tacoma Back to the Future

Press release...

Toyota is celebrating October 21, 2015 – the futuristic date first introduced in Back to the Future Part II – with a re-creation of Marty McFly’s dream truck. Using the all-new 2016 Toyota Tacoma that went on sale in September, fans in Los Angeles, New York and Dallas can see the truck in major tourist destinations for today only.

To make the 2016 Tacoma look like a modern-day version of the classic from the movie, a number of modifications were made:

Custom 1985 Toyota Truck Exterior Paint
Off-road Suspension
Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Wheels
BFGoodrich Tires
Custom front and rear Tubular Bumpers
Custom Light Bar
KC HiLites Gravity LED G46
KC HiLites Daylighter Gravity LED
Custom “D-4S” Fuel Injection Badging
Custom Tailgate with Iconic “TOYOTA” Logo
Custom Vintage Headlight and Taillight Design
Mud Flaps 1985 Toyota Truck
Old 10-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Up-close pics...

Old 10-25-2015, 04:11 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Press release...
Toyota is celebrating October 21, 2015 – the futuristic date first introduced in Back to the Future Part II – with a re-creation of Marty McFly’s dream truck. Using the all-new 2016 Toyota Tacoma that went on sale in September, fans in Los Angeles, New York and Dallas can see the truck in major tourist destinations for today only.

To make the 2016 Tacoma look like a modern-day version of the classic from the movie, a number of modifications were made:

Custom 1985 Toyota Truck Exterior Paint
Off-road Suspension
Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Wheels
BFGoodrich Tires
Custom front and rear Tubular Bumpers
Custom Light Bar
KC HiLites Gravity LED G46
KC HiLites Daylighter Gravity LED
Custom “D-4S” Fuel Injection Badging
Custom Tailgate with Iconic “TOYOTA” Logo
Custom Vintage Headlight and Taillight Design
Mud Flaps 1985 Toyota Truck
It would be cool if they did a limited release of this. I'm sure it'd sell.

Toyota Hilux - Futurepedia - The Back to the Future Wiki - Wikia

Vehicle specifications
  • 1985 Toyota Hi-Lux pickup Deluxe 4x4 XtracabSolid front axle
  • 22R-E 2.4L 4cyl EFI
  • 5 speed manual transmission (W56)
  • RF1A transfer case (gear drive)
  • Smitty built tubular bumpers (front and rear, double tube)
  • Single tube roll bar
  • KC daylighter's (4 - 6" round, 2 - 3x5" rectangular)
  • US wheel model 94 Black Modular wheels (15x8)
  • 31x10.50x15" Goodyear Wrangler radials
  • Black exterior, gray interior
  • Rear slider window
  • Tinted rear slider and cab extension (approx. 20%)
  • Black grille, with black headlight doors (chrome accented)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-toyota...ord-1832425014

The current-generation Toyota Tacoma has been with us since the 2016 model year, but with vehicles like the 2019 Ford Ranger and 2020 Jeep Gladiator now entering the segment, it’s no surprise that Toyota is stepping up its game to compete. Here’s a look at the refreshed 2020 Toyota Tacoma.

It doesn’t look like there’s a particularly dramatic styling refresh on either the exterior or the interior, but Toyota does point out in its press releasethat “nearly all” 2020 models get a redesigned front grille and wheels that are either new or revised. Some other changes to certain trims include new LED daytime running lights, LED fog lamps, LED headlights, an LED bed lamp, redesigned taillights with either darker housings or chrome or black inserts, and revised seat-back fabric.

The bigger changes deal with the gadgetry on the inside. SR5 trims and up now get a new 10-way power adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support, and all Taco models get an upgraded infotainment system with a bigger touchscreen. That multimedia system, Toyota says, will have Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa capability, and will be mated with an upgraded 7-inch infotainment screen on the base SR modesor with a bigger 8-inch display on SR5 trims and up.

The 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro trim, in particular, gets unique sequential LED/DRL headlamps; a new, lighter 16-inch wheel design; taillamps with black inserts; and standard Panoramic View Monitor (which is standard on the Limited trim as well,) and Multi Terrain Monitor, which use cameras to help the driver see the trail.

Toyota mentions that it’s “updated the tuning” on the Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks on the TRD Pro, and did the same to the front and rear springs.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2020-tacoma/

The Toyota Tacoma, America's best-selling mid-size pickup for 13 years in a row, isn't stopping to admire its trophy case. Instead, it looks to keep its place atop the pecking order with new tech, style, comfort and convenience features, making the 2020 Tacoma more compelling and more competitive than ever.

The third-generation Tacoma, with a design inspired by Toyota's legendary desert race trucks, veritably defines the "work hard, play hard" ethos. Available in 32 different configurations, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma offers a model for all seasons and reasons. Six model grades include: work-ready SR; high-style, high-value SR5; athletic TRD Sport; adventurous TRD Off-Road; ultimate off-road TRD Pro; and top-of-the-line Limited.

All Tacoma models come standard with Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P), which includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert and Automatic High Beams.

New Look, New Function, New Fun for 2020
Most 2020 Tacomas will debut a new front grille design with detailing tailored to each model grade, while every Toyota Tacoma will feature a revised taillamp design. In the Tacoma's roomy cabin, a new, larger multimedia touchscreen includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa compatibility. The SR grade features a 7-inch touchscreen display, while all others get an 8-inch touchscreen.

In addition to the multimedia upgrade, the 2020 SR offers the added convenience of new intermittent windshield wipers and an available LED bed lamp. The SX upgrade package, introduced for 2019 and returning for 2020, turns the SR Access Cab into a high-value sport truck with stylish black-out features, including grille, headlight surrounds, overfenders, 16-inch alloy wheels, mirror caps and door handles.

When equipped with the optional V6 engine, the 2020 Tacoma SR5 grade is fitted with a 10-way power adjustable driver's seat with 2-way power lumbar support. It also receives an updated dark gray wheel color for 2020.

Tacoma Limited brings luxury to the everyday work and play truck, and for 2020 the style is more premium than ever. In addition to the new grille design, the Limited features new 18-inch alloy wheels, LED/DRL headlamps, LED foglamps, and chrome taillamp inserts. The expansive equipment roster grows with the Premium Audio system that now includes an 8-inch touchscreen, plus Smart Key operation is added to the passenger front door. Limited is also fitted with the 10-way power adjustable driver's seat. The new Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) for the Double Cab version provides nearly 360-degree views around the truck for easier, safer maneuvering in tight situations.

TRD Trio Updates
The Toyota Tacoma TRD models, infused with ultimate capability by Toyota Racing Development, feature extensive upgrades for 2020. For starters, the 2020 TRD Sport will get a host of updates, including a new front grille design, new 17-inch wheel, LED foglamp and available LED/DRL headlamp, a new chrome insert taillamp, passenger Smart Key, and Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) is available on Double Cab models. TRD Sport also receives the larger 8-inch touchscreen and 10-way power adjustable seat found on all grades SR5 and up when equipped with the V6 engine.

For 2020, the TRD Off-Road also gets a new grille up front, LED foglamp, LED/DRL headlamp availability, chrome insert taillamp and the addition of passenger Smart Key. It also, on Double Cab models, receives Multi-Terrain Monitor (MTM) for improved visibility of the terrain around the truck. Like TRD Sport, it also receives the updated multimedia with 8-inch touchscreen and power adjustable driver's seat.

Headlining the TRD trio, the Tacoma TRD Pro backs up its revised look with new function. The new front grille design, unique sequential LED/DRL headlamps, new 16-inch wheel design, Rigid Industries LED fog lights, and black-insert taillamps give the TRD Pro a tougher stance and steely lighting signature. The newly available Army Green exterior color is exclusive to all TRD Pros for 2020, and Magnetic Gray gets added to the mix of Midnight Black Metallic and Super White to offer four color options on all TRD Pros.

A close look at the new cast-aluminum 16-inch wheels reveals the level of engineering detail lavished on this model. Each wheel is 4.188 lbs. lighter than on the 2019 model. That adds up to a significant weight reduction where it really counts to enhance off-road capability. TRD engineers also tweaked the shock and spring tuning to complement the lighter new wheels to improve off-road ride and handling.

You need more than a tough chassis for trail driving. You need to see obstacles before they become hazards. For 2020, the Tacoma TRD Pro provides more sets of eyes with the new Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) + Multi Terrain Monitor (MTM). The driver can select front, side, or rear views for nearly 360-degree visibility. When the going really gets rough, 5-second front undercarriage projected-path video playback can help the driver avoid potential unseen obstacles.

Meanwhile, no matter how rough it gets outside the TRD Pro, inside there's plenty of comfort with a new 10-way power adjustable seat, plus the powerful capability of the Premium Audio system with 8-inch touchscreen (and JBL Premium Audio on automatic transmission models). For added convenience, Smart Key functionality now extends to the front passenger door. A power moonroof continues as standard.

Adventure Machine
On Tacoma 4×4 models, 4WDemand part-time four-wheel drive uses an electronically controlled transfer case and either an Automatic Limited Slip Differential (Auto LSD) or an electronically controlled locking rear differential. Auto LSD is an electronic, brake-actuated system that functions like a mechanical limited slip differential when activated at low speeds. The TRD Off Road and Pro models feature a selectable, electronically controlled locking rear differential to provide supreme traction in off-road environments.

Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport models are equipped with sport-tuned shocks, while the TRD Off-Road models feature an off-road tuned suspension that uses Bilstein shocks. The TRD Off-Road model gives the driver even more control in off-road situations with the Multi-Terrain Select system (automatic transmission only). With it, the driver can choose a drive mode to match different types of terrain such as loose rock, or mud and sand. Each input regulates wheel spin by adjusting throttle and brake pressure to provide optimal traction on almost any terrain.

The TRD Off-Road model is ready-made for challenging terrain with Locking Rear Differential, Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), clutch Start Cancel (manual transmission only), Active Traction Control, and Crawl Control. Engaging Crawl Control offers one of five low-speed settings to allow the driver to keep focus on navigating across challenging off-road terrain.

The available Tow Package (standard on all V6 models) includes a Class IV Towing Receiver Hitch, engine oil cooler, transmission fluid cooler (automatic transmission only), power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4- and 7-pin connector with converter, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC).

TRD Pro Really Earns Its Badge
Inspired by Toyota's long history of off-road racing success, the Tacoma TRD Pro is aimed squarely at diehard off-road enthusiasts. Take the available TRD-designed Desert Air Intake, for example. It's designed to help raise the engine's air intake out of the dust and into cleaner air, helping the Tacoma to perform at its best even when conditions are not. Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro wears a heritage-inspired front grille with bold "TOYOTA" lettering, color-keyed surround, blacked-out hood scoop and graphic, color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, color-keyed door handles, black overfenders, and color-keyed rear bumper. Available TRD Pro exterior colors include Midnight Black Metallic, Super White, Magnetic Gray Metallic, and the exclusive Army Green.

Based on the Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4×4 Double Cab short-bed model with either a six-speed manual transmission (with clutch start-cancel switch) or six-speed automatic, the Tacoma TRD Pro comes ready to conquer hill and trail. In addition to the TRD Off-Road grade equipment, the Tacoma TRD Pro adds:
  • FOX 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks tuned by TRD
  • TRD-tuned front springs with a 1-inch front lift
  • TRD-tuned rear suspension with progressive-rate off-road leaf springs
  • TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate with red TRD lettering
  • LED headlights with sequential turn signals TRD Pro inserts
  • Rigid Industries LED fog lights
  • Projector-beam headlights with black bezels, LED daytime running lights (DRL), and auto on/off feature
  • Taillights with black bezels
  • 16-inch TRD black alloy wheels (new, lighter design for 2020) that provide a 1-inch wider track width compared to TRD Off-Road
  • Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Kevlar-reinforced tires
  • TRD Pro hood scoop
  • Special TRD Pro badging
  • TRD-tuned cat-back exhaust
Inside, the Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro blends toughness with comfort, incorporating black leather-trimmed heated front seats with TRD Pro logos on the headrests, TRD shift knob, and TRD Pro floor mats. The instrument panel integrates a 4.2-inch color Multi-Information Display with an inclinometer and tilt gauge, plus displays for outside temperature, odometer, trip meters, and average fuel economy.

Solid Foundation
The Tacoma's foundation for hard work, hard play, and durability is built from extensive use of high-strength steel in the frame and hot-stamped, ultra-high strength steel in the body. All models are equipped with double wishbone coil-spring front suspension and leaf-spring rear suspension with staggered outboard-mounted gas shocks. This setup delivers a steady on-road ride and bolsters off-road driving capability.

Tacoma power comes in two levels. The standard 2.7-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine with VVT-i produces 159 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of peak torque. The available 3.5-liter V6 employs Toyota's innovative VVT-iW technology and Atkinson-cycle combustion to maximize efficiency. Toyota's D-4S fuel injection system incorporates both direct injection and port injectors. The bottom line is an impressive 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of peak torque.

Each of the Tacoma's engines can be teamed to a six-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with intelligence (ECT-i), while the V6 can also be paired with a 6-speed manual transmission. When equipped with an optional V6 Tow Package, depending upon the model grade, the Tacoma can pull up to 6,800 lbs. (per the SAE J2807 tow standard).

Capability and Comfort
High capability doesn't preclude comfort in the Toyota Tacoma, which rides along quietly thanks to enhanced door seals, a multi-layer acoustic windshield, sound-absorbing headliner, and a floor silencer pad. The cabin exudes a high-quality ambience with soft-wrapped trim and metallic accents.

The SR and SR5 are equipped with fabric-trimmed seats, while seating for the TRD Sport and Off-Road grades is uniquely upholstered with embossed fabric that conveys a dynamic and rugged feel. The TRD Pro features leather-trimmed seating plus heated front seats, and the premium Limited grade offers seats trimmed in rich leather.

Available premium features such as Qi wireless charging, Smart Key with push-button start, leather-trimmed seats, power tilt/slide moonroof and dual-zone automatic climate control make the Tacoma an outstanding everyday vehicle.

32 Configurations
The 2020 Tacoma is available in 32 models based on two cab types, the extended Access Cab and four-door Double Cab. Each is available in 4×2 or 4×4 configurations in a wide array of model grades. Access Cab models offer under-seat rear storage space, with fold-up seat cushions to maximize carrying space. Double Cab models feature 60/40 split rear seats with adjustable headrests and under-seat storage.

The Access Cab models ride on a 127.4-inch wheelbase and have a 73.7-inch-long bed. The Double Cab is offered in two versions: the 127.4-inch wheelbase with a 60.5-inch bed or 140.6-inch wheelbase with the 73.7-inch bed. All models use an inner bed made from a sheet-molded composite (SMC) deck and tough, durable walls that are 10-percent lighter than steel.

The tailgate's easy-lowering feature allows it to retract slowly to prevent it from slamming down. An available factory-installed tri-fold hard tonneau cover secures gear out of sight.

The versatile bed deck features two-tier loading and an integrated deck-rail utility system with four standard adjustable tie-down cleats. Toyota dealers offer a range of Genuine Toyota Accessories that work in conjunction with the deck rail system. Examples include a cargo divider that locks into the rails to help keep cargo from sliding around the bed, and mini tie-downs with hooks that also help to secure cargo. An available 120V/400W power point further extends the bed's utility.

Designed in America
Tacoma's chiseled face is anchored by a bold, hexagonal grille and a tall, muscular hood. Its slim, projection beam headlights can be outfitted with available LED daytime running lights. The overfenders accentuate the tough high-lift image while functioning to accommodate the suspension's generous wheel travel.

The Toyota Tacoma's wide array of model configurations and options give customers free rein to personalize their vehicles. The Tacoma's exterior color palette includes Cavalry Blue, Midnight Black Metallic, Barcelona Red, Quicksand, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Silver Metallic, Super White, Cement and, exclusively for the 2020 TRD Pro, Army Green.

Toyota dealers in addition offer a large selection of accessories, including TRD performance components, that expand Tacoma's utility, comfort, and driving fun.

Multimedia Systems
The 2020 Tacoma's multimedia system improved across the board. Not only does each Tacoma model get a larger touchscreen, but each vehicle now features Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility. Each vehicle features a six-speaker sound system that includes Handsfree Bluetooth® phone and music capability, USB media port, 2 USB charge ports, and an integrated backup camera display. All vehicles offer SiriusXM capability and include a 3-month All Access Trial.

While the SR model features a 7-inch touchscreen, SR5 models and up are all fitted with an 8-inch touchscreen display. The TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road models offer an available Premium Audio system that adds dynamic navigation. Premium Audio is available on the TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road grades but comes standard on Limited and TRD Pro, and it includes six JBL® speakers and subwoofer amplifier.

Safety Standout
Along with standard TSS-P, the Toyota Tacoma also touts the Star Safety System, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop brake override technology (SST). Every Tacoma has the driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger knee airbags, and front and rear Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags.

Active head restraints for the front seats are designed to move up and slightly forward during a rear-end collision to help reduce the risk of whiplash. Additional standard safety features include a Tire Pressure Monitor System (with individual tire location alert on most grades).

A North American Story
CALTY Design Research, Toyota's American design studio in Newport Beach, California, and Ann Arbor, Michigan, helped give the Tacoma an unmistakably athletic and stylish identity. The Toyota engineering team at Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor takes great pride in its role helping to develop the latest generation Tacoma pickup. The Toyota Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX), in San Antonio and Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC), in Baja California, Mexico.

Limited Warranty and ToyotaCare
Toyota's 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and corrosion with no mileage limitation. The Tacoma also comes standard with ToyotaCare, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance and 24-hour roadside assistance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Old 09-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
That green...so much want.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 12:48 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Really handsome truck.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:08 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/20...trail_edition/

Modern times require modern vehicles and, arguably, one theme rises above the rest for vehicle attributes: versatility. One of the greatest multi-purpose vehicles on the market is the mid-size pickup truck leader, 16 years and running, the Toyota Tacoma. First introduced in 2020, the Tacoma Trail Edition returns with an emphasis on storage, styling, value, and a focus on off-road performance built around the Tacoma 4×4 Double Cab.

Take to the Trails

Tacoma owners love to get outside and explore, and the 2022 Trail Edition adds some key upgrades that make it the ideal travel companion. Based on the best-selling SR5 grade and only available in 4×4 Double Cab, Toyota Tacoma Trail Edition gets additional lift both at the front and rear of the truck to help tackle the road less traveled.

Toyota engineers lifted the front of the new Tacoma Trail 1.1 inches thanks to taller coil springs. The front air dam found on the standard SR5 is deleted to help improve ground clearance. With the air dam removal and the front suspension lift the approach angle of the truck improves to 34 degrees. The rear suspension receives attention too, and it is lifted 0.5 inches thanks to a spacer between the rear axle housing and leaf springs to help level the truck's profile and improve departure angle to 23.6 degrees. Breakover angle is also improved to 26.4 degrees.

Based initially on SR5 4×4, Toyota Tacoma Trail Edition gets upfitted with a standard locking rear differential to offer added traction when it's needed most in slow-speed four-wheel-drive situations. Reinforcing the fact that some of the most important parts are the ones you don't see, the undercarriage skid plates are borrowed from the TRD Off-Road grade to provide added protection.

Style and Function Collide

Toyota Tacoma Trail Edition offers distinctive styling to set it apart from the lineup. Four exterior color choices are available, headlined by new Trail Edition option Lunar Rock, but there's also returning colors Army Green, Midnight Black Metallic, and Super White in the mix. Regardless of paint choice, black exterior badging accents the truck, a new Trail Edition badge is fitted on the rear tailgate, and the rear bumpers are now color-keyed to match the exterior paint color.

Tacoma Trail Edition greets paved and unpaved roads with the heritage-inspired grille first found on TRD Pro, but this grille stands apart thanks to its unique bronze-colored lettering. The bronze-accented grille nicely complements the new bronze-finished wheels that are adorned with a Toyota center cap. More than just looks, the wheels offer a 0.5-inch wider track width both front and rear for a broader stance, and they are fitted with new Goodyear all-terrain tires that feature an aggressive sidewall tread pattern.

Added versatility in the truck bed comes in two forms: storage and power. Lockable bed storage means gear can be safely stored when in transit or away from the vehicle, and best of all, the driver's side storage includes insulation and can double as a cooler. Trail is also equipped with a 120V power outlet in the bed, adding additional power options for whatever needs arise away from home.

Toyota Tacoma Trail Edition comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine that produces 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. The engine features Toyota's VVT-iW technology and Atkinson-cycle combustion to help maximize efficiency, and it also employs Toyota's D-4S fuel injection system that incorporates both direct injection and port injectors.

The Tacoma Tow Package comes standard on V6-equipped models, like Tacoma Trail Edition, offering the Double Cab model a maximum towing capacity of 6,400 pounds (per the SAE J2807 tow standard). The package includes a Class IV towing receiver hitch, engine oil cooler, transmission fluid cooler (automatic transmission only), power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4- and 7-pin connector with converter, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC).

It's What's Inside That Counts

Toyota Tacoma Trail Edition will lead many owners to outdoor adventures, and the time spent in the vehicle can't be overlooked. A host of standard features await, including a 10-way power adjustable driver's seat featuring 2-way power lumbar support, dual-zone automatic climate control, and standard all-weather floor liners help catch the outdoor elements that occupants' feet bring in, just to name a few. Giving Trail Edition its personal flair, the black fabric seating features unique tan stitching.

The standard 8-inch multimedia touchscreen features Apple Carplay, Android Auto and Amazon Alexa compatibility. Other features include a six-speaker sound system, hands-free Bluetooth® phone and music capability, a USB media port, two USB charge ports, and an integrated backup camera display. In addition, all Tacoma multimedia systems include Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, Amazon Alexa compatibility, and SiriusXM capability with a three-month All-Access Trial.

TSS-P: Standard Safety on All Tacomas

Although the Toyota Tacoma Trail Edition gains some added off-road performance thanks to its lift, that doesn't mean that Tacoma's standard safety features were forgotten. TRD engineers ensured the Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) features are all standard. TSS-P includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert, and Automatic High Beams.

Every Tacoma is also equipped with the Star Safety System, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop brake override technology (SST). Tacoma also features the driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger knee airbags, and front and rear Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags. Active head restraints for the Tacoma's front seats are designed to move up and slightly forward during a rear-end collision to help reduce the risk of whiplash. Additional standard safety features include a Tire Pressure Monitor System.

A North American Story

CALTY Design Research, Toyota's American design studio in Newport Beach, Calif., and Ann Arbor, Mich., helped give the Tacoma an unmistakably athletic and stylish identity. The Toyota engineering team at Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor takes great pride in the role it played helping to develop the current generation Tacoma pickup. The Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC), in Baja California, Mexico.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:10 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2022-tacoma_trd_pro/

When it comes to true off-road performance, taking the trail less traveled isn't suited for amateurs. That's where TRD Pro comes in. From the beginning, TRD Pro vehicles were designed to take off-road performance to the next level using parts designed and tested by the Toyota Racing Development team. The Tacoma TRD Pro is taking the next step in its evolution.

Higher Expectations

For the 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro, off-road performance goes up a notch - literally! The next-generation Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro will employ TRD-tuned Fox internal bypass shocks designed to deliver exceptional on- and off-road performance, but the crucial suspension change will be a taller suspension lift - 1.5 inches up front and 0.5 inches at the rear.

The increased suspension lift will provide adventurers with even more off-road capability for exploring the great outdoors, as it equates to real-world improvements for trail and obstacle clearance thanks to its 36.4-degree approach angle, 24.7-degree departure angle, and its 26.6-degree breakover angle - all of which improve upon the previous-generation TRD Pro.

Complementing the increased front lift is new TRD-engineered upper control arms. Featuring machine-forged aluminum construction for added strength, the new TRD upper control arms allow the FOX shocks to make use of the additional rebound stroke afforded by the lift by adjusting the angle of the ball-joint mount.

New black TRD wheels are equipped on Tacoma TRD Pro, offering a wider track width than stock and fitted with new Goodyear Territory all-terrain tires that feature an aggressive sidewall design.

Looks That Thrill

The new Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro gets plenty of hardware to help enhance performance, but in the looks department it gets some significant changes as well. For starters, the new exclusive TRD Pro color, Electric Lime Metallic, is added to the mix of Super White, Magnetic Gray Metallic and Midnight Black Metallic for the 2022 model year.

Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro will still greet the world with a heritage-inspired front grille with color-keyed surround. Available new hood graphics complement the blacked-out hood scoop. TRD Pro will also feature a color-keyed rear bumper, door handles and power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, while black overfenders will marry the dual-color styling theme.

Arguably the most eye-catching change is the new TRD Pro stamping on the rear quarter panel of the truck that provides a little more breathing room between "TRD" and "Pro." Badging is updated from the previous model year, as the TRD pro door badge is removed and a "Tacoma" badge is added to the front door. All badges will still be finished in black.

Ready to Explore

Based on the Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4×4 Double Cab short-bed model, the TRD Pro is still available with the fan-favorite 6-speed manual transmission or the ever-popular 6-speed automatic. Ready to tackle trails at any time, the Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro is fitted with FOX 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks tuned by TRD engineers. A TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate with red TRD lettering provides additional trail protection. Unique LED headlights with sequential turn signals featuring TRD Pro inserts are equipped, while Rigid Industries LED fog lights help illuminate the road and trails ahead.

A TRD-tuned cat-back exhaust provides some additional growl from the standard 3.5-liter V6 engine. The V6 employs Toyota's innovative VVT-iW technology and Atkinson-cycle combustion to maximize efficiency. Toyota's D-4S fuel injection system incorporates both direct injection and port injectors. The output is an impressive 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of peak torque.

TRD Pro models come equipped with Multi Terrain Monitor, which allows the driver to check the immediate surroundings for potential obstacles by simply pressing a button to display front-, rear- and side-camera views on the 8-inch multimedia touchscreen. Speaking of which, the 8-inch multimedia touchscreen display is Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa compatible.

The instrument panel integrates a 4.2-inch color Multi-Information Display with an inclinometer and tilt gauge, plus displays for outside temperature, odometer, trip meters, and fuel economy estimate averages.

Inside, the TRD theme continues with black leather-trimmed heated front seats (featuring TRD Pro logos on the headrests), TRD shift knob, and TRD Pro all-weather floor mats. The driver also gets a 10-way power adjustable seat. A power moonroof comes standard, and JBL Premium Audio is included on automatic transmission models.

Safety Still Standard

TRD engineers worked hard to ensure the standard safety equipment works seamlessly in conjunction with the new TRD Pro upgrades. Toyota Safety Sense-P includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert, and Automatic High Beams.

The Tacoma also touts the Star Safety System, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), and Smart Stop brake override technology (SST). Every Tacoma has the driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger knee airbags, and front and rear Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags. Active head restraints for the Tacoma's front seats are designed to move up and slightly forward during a rear-end collision to help reduce the risk of whiplash. Additional standard safety features include a Tire Pressure Monitor System (with individual tire location alert on most grades).

A North American Story

CALTY Design Research, Toyota's American design studio in Newport Beach, Calif., and Ann Arbor, Mich., helped give the Tacoma an unmistakably athletic and stylish identity. The Toyota engineering team at Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor takes great pride in the role it played helping to develop the current generation Tacoma pickup. The Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC), in Baja California, Mexico.

Limited Warranty and ToyotaCare

Toyota's 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and corrosion with no mileage limitation. The 2022 Tacoma also comes with ToyotaCare, a plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, and 24-hour roadside assistance for two years, unlimited mileage.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:18 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I like it.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:17 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Hmmm possible announcement on 4/4/23?

look at the license plate and then a blurred truck on the 2nd slide.

also name on the building is “Brazilian patent office” which leaked pics of the next gen Taco earlier this year.

View this post on Instagram

In case the IG link don’t work.

Last edited by Mizouse; 03-29-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:17 AM

Do not like the new Tundras. Hope they don't put too much of that styling on the Taco.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (04-03-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 04:48 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/to...latest-teaser/

Toyota is back again with a fresh teaser for the all-new 2024 Tacoma on ‘Taco Tuesday,’ confirming a brand-new trim level named ‘Trailhunter.’ While details about the new model are still scarce, Toyota has promised that it will be an exceptional off-roader.

“Developed from the ground up for those seeking extended adventures, the Tacoma Trailhunter will build upon Toyota’s legendary off-road and overlanding credibility with purpose-built engineering and robust components,” the automaker wrote in a release today.

Toyota released a pair of images teasing the Trailhunter trim with the front shot featuring the headlight housing with the “Trailhunter” nameplate engraved on it while the rear shot provides a more detailed look at the truck.

In addition to the compass located on the lower left side of the tailgate, the rear shot of the Trailhunter reveals an ARB bumper and a red recovery point. As the largest manufacturer of 4×4 accessories in Australia with almost 50 years of experience in off-roading, ARB is known for producing rugged and durable components that can handle the toughest terrain.

However, ARB isn’t the only company with a storied name. Trailhunter can also trace its origins back, albeit not as far. In 2021, Toyota applied the name to a Tundra concept at SEMA, where it envisioned the Trailhunter as a no-compromise overlanding vehicle. The automaker had described the Trailhunter model as “purpose-built” to appeal to “outdoor enthusiasts who crave off-the-grid expeditions.” With its heavy-duty suspension, brush bar, roof-mounted lights, bed tent, and more, the Trailhunter was ideally suited for long drives off the beaten path.

The aforementioned concept truck also featured ARB accessories. At the time, Toyota promised that the Trailhunter concept previewed a line of vehicles based on its trucks and SUVs. It had stated that these vehicles would serve as the “flagship offering” for each respective model, indicating that they could be even better equipped than the current TRD and TRD Pro variants.

While the exact date of the unveiling of the new 2024 Tacoma remains unclear, Toyota’s teaser campaign is in full swing, indicating that the event is imminent. Toyota has already confirmed that the Tacoma will be offered with a hybrid i-Force Max Powertrain.
​​​​​​​

Old 04-11-2023, 08:10 PM

There are also these images on the Toyota website.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/

Old 04-20-2023, 10:50 AM

🚫🥁

Old 04-20-2023, 11:19 AM

Saw an SR5 XS with TRD wheels on a transport yesterday. Image gives up nothing.

Maybe the new gen will push pre-owned Taco prices down
Old 04-20-2023, 11:39 AM
Ex-OEM King

lol wishful thinking.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:52 PM

Yeah, I don't see Taco pricing, much like Wranglers, changing with a new model coming out.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:51 AM

https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews...ou-should-skip

Truck buyers are different because they don't always want the latest, greatest rig. It's usually OK if whatever pickup they're shopping for doesn't have every feature known to man because they just want it to work, and work well. At the same time, it's hard to justify spending a bunch of cash on a new-but-dated showroom model when a truly new, entirely more innovative version is less than a year away. That's the struggle with the 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro.

This generation of Tacoma launched as a 2016 model year, and the TRD Pro was brought along later as a 2017. It hasn't changed much since then—it received a (very) mild facelift in 2020—meaning it still has a slow 3.5-liter V6 that leaves it in the domestic competition's dust. The next-gen model is coming for 2024 with a hybrid powertrain that ought to pack a hefty punch, amplifying the existing truck's weak points even more.

It'd be wrong to say the 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro is bad. It just wouldn't be right to call it great. With the fourth-generation Taco dropping so soon, I think everybody's better off waiting for that.

2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Specs

• Base price (as tested): $48,520 ($51,229)
  • Powertrain: 3.5-liter V6| 6-speed automatic transmission | selectable rear-wheel or four-wheel drive with high and low ranges
  • Horsepower: 278 @ 6,000 rpm
  • Torque: 265 lb-ft @ 4,600 rpm
  • Curb weight: 4,550 pounds
  • Max payload capacity: 1,155 pounds
  • Max towing capacity: 6,400 pounds
  • Off-road angles: 36.4° approach | 26.6° breakover | 24.7° departure
  • Ground clearance: 9.4 inches
  • EPA fuel economy: 17 mpg city | 20 highway | 18 combined
  • Quick Take: A well-built, totally fine 4x4 that would be enough if the next-gen truck weren't coming soon with better everything.
  • Score: 7/10
Toyota is a pretty traditional brand, so it makes sense that the Tacoma has always been a favorite of people who prefer simplicity to newfangled, complex tech. Case in point: you can still get it with a six-speed manual in 2023—yup, even in the TRD Pro model—so it has that going for it. This top-tier off-road trim is for the most dedicated wheelers who want capability and versatility, along with the most advanced features the Tacoma has to offer. It's a mildly confounding mix of modernity and, well, the opposite.

I will give props to the Tacoma's exterior styling, especially in my tester's Solar Octane paint scheme. The LED headlights look pretty sharp thanks in part to the prominent DRLs, and I even like the hood scoop. It's pretty tall, especially when you're looking out the windshield from the cab, but it doesn't compromise outward visibility immediately in front of the truck.

A benefit of the current Tacoma's old-school character is its clean and simple interior. It has a respectably sized eight-inch infotainment screen that's fully incorporated into the dash, while physical buttons and knobs handle stereo and HVAC duties. It's a nice place to be, even if it's a little cramped for tall people like me with a family. I'm six-foot-five, for what it's worth.

Where the Tacoma shows its age most is in its powertrain. The 3.5-liter V6 makes just 270 horsepower—compare that to 310 hp from the Nissan Frontier's 3.8-liter—and the six-speed automatic transmission hunts around at interstate speeds to keep the revs high. It's not as painful when you engage the truck's ECT Power mode, which adjusts the shift points and keeps you in the power band more often, but that should probably be the default setting. Without it, the Tacoma can be irritatingly slow.

It's obvious from the start that the Tacoma is solidly built. It doesn't creak or squeak, which is worth celebrating when so much of what we use every day feels disposable. Toyota's dedication to quality, durability, and reliability shines through here; the same traditional thinking that results in the truck's underpowered but bulletproof V6 is what gets us here, and it's almost an even trade.

The ride is truck-like, which is to say, pretty stiff. I'm not about to crack down on that, though. The Tacoma TRD Pro is an off-roader that shines on tight, technical trails—it's no Ford Raptor, so the suspension isn't tuned for wide-open desert running. It calls back to the 4x4s we grew up with, those that so many of us who live far away from the dunes still appreciate.

Even though it’s bigger than Tacomas of yore, it’s still a lot easier to drive and park than a full-size truck. It handles confidently and does what you ask it to unless you ask it to pass someone in a hurry. Thankfully, with its low-effort steering and driver assists like radar cruise control, the TRD Pro isn’t such a hardcore four-wheeler that it sacrifices road manners.

Still, it's meant to shine most off the pavement. I took the bright orange rig down to our family's creekside property where jagged rocks and loose gravel abound, testing its ground clearance, approach, departure, and breakover angles. It did well thanks to its Goodyear Wrangler all-terrains, two-speed transfer case, and 127.4-inch wheelbase, which is shorter than some UTVs I've tested. It's an impressive crawler; switch it into 4LO and you barely have to touch the throttle on most reasonable inclines.

Just don't engage Crawl Control. The four-wheeling assist is meant to maintain a steady pace while going up or downhill, but it's so jerky and loud that it's unusable. This isn't anything new—the feature has been bad for years—but Toyota fixed it in the new Tundra and Sequoia. I imagine the next Tacoma TRD Pro will get the updated Crawl Control as well, but I really wish the 2023 had it.

The Tacoma is exceptionally maneuverable, even with a trailer hitched to the back. I didn't tow anything on the highway, but I did have a couple of trailers to retrieve from our property before a flood came in. The Toyota didn't squat a lick, even when nearing its 6,400-pound tow limit, and the rear visibility was great when it came time to reverse down our long, crowded driveway.

If the powertrain had a bit more zip, the on-road driving experience would be a delight. It doesn't, though, and what you're left with is a dull daily on the street that not even bright paint and a TRD exhaust can liven up enough.

The Tacoma’s TRD Pro trim is comprehensive, and there are no available add-on packages. The 1.5-inch front lift is standard, as are the internal bypass Fox shocks, TRD skid plates, Rigid Industries fog LEDs, and surround-view cameras that feed live video to the infotainment screen. You also get Toyota Safety Sense which includes a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection, dynamic radar cruise control, lane departure alert, automatic high beams, and blind-spot detection. The JBL Audio stereo setup is nice, too.

It competes with other mid-size off-road trucks like the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X and Ford Ranger Tremor. The Nissan is the most similar to the Tacoma with a naturally aspirated V6, though it has a bigger, more powerful 3.8-liter engine making 310 hp. The Ranger Tremor, meanwhile, is propelled by a turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder that makes 270 hp—identical to the Tacoma—but 310 lb-ft of torque, an advantage of 45 lb-ft. None of them are total rockstars at high speed; instead, they're best suited for trail driving and all perform exceptionally well.

If I were to buy a Tacoma TRD Pro, I'd spec it just like my tester. I, for one, dig the orange because the paint looks great in both direct and indirect sunlight. I'd probably remove or cover up all the red accents because they just don't jive with the Solar Octane scheme, but aside from that, the truck you see here is pretty much my ideal setup.

The Tacoma TRD Pro isn't great on gas. Fortunately for Toyota, neither are its competitors. Nissan's Frontier Pro-4X sees slightly better combined mileage thanks to a 2-mpg highway advantage, while the turbocharged Ford Ranger nets 19 mpg in the city and on the highway for a combined average of—you guessed it—19 mpg. The 2023 Chevy Colorado wins this one, then, thanks to its 2.7-liter turbo-four that's also big on power.

T
oyota trucks hold their value so well that it's hard to call the 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro anything less than a solid buy, even at nearly $52,000. If anything, you can drive one of these home now and then sell it for $20 less a few months down the road when the next-gen hits dealer lots. Maybe that's adding an unnecessary step, but really, I can't blame anyone who wants one of these. I personally would save the money for a 2024 model, assuming it's as good as Toyota promises.

To sum up, the TRD Pro Tacoma is as decent as it's ever been because it really hasn't changed that much. If you'd rather avoid electrification for as long as possible, then this is the new Toyota for you. But if you're even remotely open to a hybrid for the sake of better performance and fuel economy, then I'd hold tight a while longer until the new one comes along.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:02 AM

https://carbuzz.com/news/all-new-202...ilgate-speaker

Toyota is sticking to its Taco Tuesday teaser routine, and this week it's showcasing a piece of technology that will make tailgate parties better than ever. The all-new 2024 Toyota Tacoma will be available with a JBL Flex removable and portable speaker. You can charge it in the car and entertain the campsite with some Eddie Vedder in the evenings.

As you can see in the images below, the Bluetooth speaker mounts directly on the tailgate, though we suspect other mounting locations will also be available. On the inside, the car slots into the dashboard where it charges. It will be interesting to see whether the removable speaker is incorporated into what we assume is the optional high-end sound system.

If we had to guess, the answer would be yes. We can't find this particular speaker on sale anywhere, and the fact that it features the Toyota badge means this is most likely a collaboration between the two brands.

Exterior speakers seem to be the next big thing in the truck segment, as Ford recently filed a patent to turn Bronco spare wheel covers into outdoor speakers. It dates back a bit further, however. The Dodge Caliber had fold-down speakers in the trunk lid, which was the only remotely exciting and good thing about an otherwise terrible car.

The all-new Tacoma won't fall into the same trap. The more we learn about it, the more we're convinced it will continue being the default buy in the midsize truck segment. The overall design hasn't been revealed, but Toyota found an intelligent way to confirm that the Brazilian patent leaks are real.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:39 AM
Ex-OEM King

Damn...this looks like a familiar feature...
Old 04-26-2023, 01:28 PM

The GoPro mount ya?
Old 04-27-2023, 09:30 AM
Ex-OEM King

The removable speaker. Going to see this pop up on a lot of the "adventure" type products out there. It'll be on the next Jeep and 4Runner for sure.

GoPro mount and power solution is actually a good idea with low cost to implement. This speaker is a huge gimmick that will never get used. Don't ask how I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota: Tacoma News