Toyota: Prius News

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Sounders FC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are probably including the ballasts in that price total...
Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
How on earth can it cost $1800 to replace two headlight bulbs? If I got that bill from my dealership I'd be headed straight for the BBB....
Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Danil ACE
They are probably including the ballasts in that price total...
Agreed. I doubt $1800 is just for bulbs. Sounds like there is more of an issue here with other parts, which is why they are so upset. I would be upset, too, if my relatively new car needed $1800 in repairs for headlights and related parts.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Drivers flag worries over brakes on new Prius

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34611930/ns/business-autos/

It took Bob Becker by surprise. As he approached an intersection on New York City's West End Avenue, not far from his home, he began to brake his 2010 Toyota Prius. But then the hybrid hit a pothole and suddenly, says Becker, it felt like the brakes weren’t working.

“It was a sensation of losing control,” said the 39-year-old human resources executive. It was all the more disconcerting as the light had changed and pedestrians were starting to cross the street. “The first time it happened on that corner it scared the hell out of me. I wasn’t sure I could stop in time.”

Becker was able to slam back down on the brake pedal just in time to avoid an accident. But in the weeks to come, the problem with his Prius repeated itself over and over, to the point he now has to prepare in advance when he’s coming up on an intersection, driving through traffic or exiting a freeway.

He’s not alone.

Chat rooms such as Priuschat.com dedicated to Toyota’s fuel-efficient hybrid are peppered with concerns raised by owners of the third-generation Prius, which was launched for the 2010 model year. At least 33 complaints alleging safety problems with the '10 Prius, most often involving braking issues have been filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Office of Defects Investigation.

NHTSA confirmed receiving complaints, which are a matter of public record, but would not comment further. A Toyota spokesman said no formal investigation is under way, but added that Internet traffic and other complaints had made the company aware of the concerns.
First the '07 Camry/ES transmission problems, then the gas pedal/floor mat issues, now an apparent Prius brake defect... WTF Toyota??

Last edited by elessar; 12-29-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Toyota's the new GM, it comes with the territory.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Audi 5000 "unintended accelaration" all over again?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:19 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Metals these batteries use (except for one Lithium-Ion model) come from mines mostly in China. The mining of these metals creates dead zones for miles around and causes highly toxic runoff into the local eco-system. So these eco-morons might be getting high MPG on their way to Whole Foods but they are causing huge environmental problems for the poor people in other countries who live and work around those mines.

Hybrid car batteries are destructive to the environment.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - Any post 2007 articles? I'm not searching so well today
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Brake Probs

TOKYO — Toyota has been hit by more than 100 complaints in the U.S. and Japan about brake problems with the popular Prius hybrid, the latest in a spate of quality troubles for the automaker as it grapples with massive global recalls.

The Japanese company's sales are being battered in the U.S. — Toyota's (TM) biggest market — after recalls of top-selling models to fix a gas pedal that can stick in the depressed position.
CAR INDUSTRY: Electromagnetic signals' link to gas pedals probed
DRIVE ON: Apple icon says his Prius has acceleration 'software glitch'
SAFETY: Toyotas aren't only cars under scrutiny
SALES IMPACT: Toyota sales drop; GM, Ford make big gains
HONDA: Profit up sixfold for Japanese car giant
The new Prius gas-electric hybrid, which went on sale in Japan and the U.S. in May 2009, is not part of the recalls that extend to Europe and China, covering nearly 4.5 million vehicles.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received about 100 complaints involving the brakes of the Prius new model. Two involved crashes resulting in injuries.

Japan's transport ministry said Wednesday it has also received 14 complaints since July last year about brake problems with Toyota's new Prius hybrid.

The 14 complaints included an accident in July 2009, in which a Prius crashed head on into another car at an intersection. Transport ministry official Masaya Ota said two people were slightly injured in the accident.

"The Prius driver in the accident told police that a brake did not work," Ota said. "Other Prius drivers also complained brakes were not so sharp." The complaints in Japan involve the new Prius model, and the vehicles were all made in Japan, he said.

The ministry ordered Toyota, the world's No. 1 automaker, to investigate the complaints. The other 13 cases happened from December to January 2010. Ota said the ministry has yet to receive a formal report on the complaints from Toyota.

Toyota spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi said the company has received reports about the Prius complaints in North America and in Japan and is looking into the matter.

Toyota shares plunged 5.7% to 3,400 yen ($38) with jittery investors dumping stocks in the wake of the Prius woes in the U.S. and Japan. The benchmark Nikkei stock index edged up just 0.3% to 10,404.33 as the drop in Toyota dampened sentiment.

"Investors were worried the latest trouble involving the Prius could get bigger. The problem could pose a bigger question on Toyota's quality and safety,"
said Kazuhiro Takahashi, market analyst at Daiwa Securities SMBC.

The Japanese automaker is facing growing criticism that it has not done enough to ensure the safety of its vehicles.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told The Associated Press Tuesday that federal officials had to alert Toyota to the seriousness of the safety issues that eventually led to the recalls.

"They should have taken it seriously from the very beginning when we first started discussing it with them," he said. "Maybe they were a little safety deaf."

LaHood also said the U.S. government was considering civil penalties for Toyota for having dragged its feet on safety concerns.

Toyota executive vice president Shinichi Sasaki acknowledged Tuesday in a Nagoya, Japan, news conference that it took prodding from NHTSA officials for the company to decide on the U.S. recall.

Toyota has long prided itself on sterling vehicle quality and assembly line methods that empowered workers to ensure faultless production.

The latest recall, announced Jan. 21, over sticky gas pedals affects 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. alone.

Any serious problems emerging in the Prius, Toyota's flagship green car model, is certain to further tarnish its brand.

The Prius, now in its third generation since its 1997 introduction, is the best-selling gas-electric hybrid in the world, racking up a cumulative 1.6 million units sold so far, according to Toyota.

Hybrids, by going back and forth between a gasoline engine and electric motor, tend to offer better mileage in slow-speed and stop-and-go driving that's common in crowded cities.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I wonder if the brake issue has anything to do with regerative braking in the Prius?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

Post SoftWare Issues

WASHINGTON/DETROIT (Reuters) – In the latest blow to Toyota Motor Corp, safety regulators opened a formal probe into problems with the brakes of the Prius, the world's top-selling hybrid and a vehicle that has powered the automaker's reputation for fuel-efficiency.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it has received 124 complaints about momentary braking problems after motorists rolled over bumps or potholes with the third-generation Prius.

Drivers reported four crashes related to the braking problems, NHTSA said. The investigation covers the 2010 model year Prius.

"We have heard about NHTSA's intention to begin investigation. Toyota will fully cooperate,
" Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight said.

Toyota changed the software controlling braking in the Prius on models manufactured in Japan from last month, a step it had not announced before Thursday.

It was not clear whether -- or how quickly -- the automaker would move to apply the fix to other Prius models already sold to American consumers.

Toyota shares dropped another 3 percent in New York on Thursday. The stock has lost 20 percent since it announced a sweeping recall for accelerator problems in late January.

The new probe of the Prius threatens to compound a consumer safety crisis that has hit Toyota's sales, financial results and reputation for quality and prompted the recall of more than 8 million vehicles around the world for problems with uncontrolled acceleration.

The 2010 model Prius is a completely redesigned version of the iconic hybrid that Toyota has said is the most important vehicle in its line-up and almost a brand on its own.

Analysts and rivals say the Prius has emerged as a kind of environmental "halo car" for Toyota, an icon of green design with an intense following among loyalists that has lifted the public image of the whole company.

Dennis Virag, president of Automotive Consulting in Ann Arbor, Michigan, said Toyota's revelation that it had been aware of the Prius problems for months and had worked out a quiet fix on the assembly line without notifying consumers was "shocking."

"It could be a kiss of death,"
he said.

Toyota sold almost 140,000 Prius hybrids in the United States in 2009. That represented almost half of all hybrid sales in the market.

Like other hybrids, the Prius captures the energy from braking to recharge an on-board battery to boost mileage from its gasoline engine.

Toyota Managing Officer Hiroyuki Yokoyama, who oversees quality, said Toyota had reworked a software program that controls the interaction between the "regenerative" braking and the friction braking systems.

On bumpy roads and on ice, the regenerative brakes appear to slip, allowing the vehicle to lurch forward before the traditional brakes engage, Prius owners have said.

"This issue shows that we may have fallen short of the standards expected of us by our customers,"
Yokoyama said.

Late on Wednesday, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood spoke with Toyota President Akio Toyoda, who reassured him that Toyota takes "U.S. safety concerns seriously," a Transportation Department statement said.

Toyota expects costs and lost sales from its massive safety recall to total $2 billion by the end of March. The automaker's U.S. sales tumbled 16 percent in January and are expected to fall further in February.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
this all makes me very happy...
Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Article

If you ask most automakers who produces some of the most environmentally friendly vehicles, odds are they will begrudgingly admit Toyota is among a relatively short list of leaders in hybrid vehicle production.

But the car that has many other automakers green with envy may not be quite so green after all, at least not if you consider the full life cycle of the car, according to Toyota's recently released 2009 North America Environmental Report, as reported by Automotive News.

One of the areas discussed in the study was the full life cycle of vehicles, and the resulting impact on the environment. Although the Prius hybrid may lead in terms of fuel efficiency compared to its peers, the Prius actually ranked below average in all 5 categories related to the materials manufacturing aspect of the cycle.

Not surprisingly, the main source of the negative marks stems from the production of the electric motors, inverters and nickel-metal hydride batteries. These components increase the emissions of nonmethane hydrocarbons and particulate matter, according to AutoNews.

Because of the low scores in the manufacturing phase of production, Toyota says it has already begun working on reevaluating 8 different vehicles in the Japanese market, including the Prius. Toyota hopes to develop new manufacturing processes that will eventually reverse the current bad mark on the otherwise green-minded Prius.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Hopefully one of these days the "save the planet" blowhards will realize that pretty much nothing they have done with better the planet.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
....just like the clowns that think the coal burning cars are good for the environment.

...bunch of morons.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
....just like the clowns that think the coal burning cars are good for the environment.

...bunch of morons.

Last edited by West6MT; 10-20-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
both prius v and prius c are ugly...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Je t'aime...

Toyota make some dangerous cars... I know what car I won't let following me when I'm driving. The Prius! Hahah... /Joke

Seriously, Toyota needs to get their quality back up.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
Toyota make some dangerous cars... I know what car I won't let following me when I'm driving. The Prius! Hahah... /Joke

Seriously, Toyota needs to get their quality back up.
Coughretardedcough

Old 01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Coughretardedcough

I didn't mean to offend you, Prius Driver.

Targeting me with a personal attack while I didn't even do nothing but joke around. I guess Prius drivers can't take a joke, lame.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
The Third Ball

I didn't mean to offend you, Prius Driver.

Targeting me with a personal attack while I didn't even do nothing but joke around. I guess Prius drivers can't take a joke, lame.
Ohhhh riiiight, you were joooking....because that post was so infused with humor.

Also, I didn't realize calling your post retarded was a personal attack, but hey, maybe you're right. After all, "you didn't do nothing"
Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Damn, Dude. Kick back. It was clearly a joke. He even said "JOKE" in the original post. No need to get so defensive.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Je t'aime...

Ohhhh riiiight, you were joooking....because that post was so infused with humor.

Also, I didn't realize calling your post retarded was a personal attack, but hey, maybe you're right. After all, "you didn't do nothing"
Logically, if anyone were to assume when someone said retarded, it would be targeted to a person not a post. You said "retarded", but it wasn't targeted at anything so I can assume its targeted at the comment poster, not the comment.

Regardless, you should calm your ass down. It wasn't even "humor", I was just messing around. Damn, I still don't get why Prius drivers always get heated up.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 PM
The Third Ball

Logically, if anyone were to assume when someone said retarded, it would be targeted to a person not a post. You said "retarded", but it wasn't targeted at anything so I can assume its targeted at the comment poster, not the comment.

Regardless, you should calm your ass down. It wasn't even "humor", I was just messing around. Damn, I still don't get why Prius drivers always get heated up.
Between this and your comment in the Lexus thread I'll upgrade from saying your comment was retarded to you being, in fact, a retard.

And regardless of my having a Prius, I would have made the same comments whether I owned a toyota or not. Stupid is stupid, period.

And stop trying to back pedal that you were joking, youve now made the same stupid comment in the Lexus thread.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Je t'aime...

Between this and your comment in the Lexus thread I'll upgrade from saying your comment was retarded to you being, in fact, a retard.

And regardless of my having a Prius, I would have made the same comments whether I owned a toyota or not. Stupid is stupid, period.

And stop trying to back pedal that you were joking, youve now made the same stupid comment in the Lexus thread.
Aww, you're mad. Its okay. I think a lot of Prius drivers are uptight like you're.

Besides, if you didn't like what I said and didn't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. Did you learn anything from your parents?

Seriously, don't be mad. Its a forum, laugh. I'm laughing on how mad you can get at the moment.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
The Third Ball

Aww, you're mad. Its okay. I think a lot of Prius drivers are uptight like you're.

Besides, if you didn't like what I said and didn't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. Did you learn anything from your parents?

Seriously, don't be mad. Its a forum, laugh. I'm laughing on how mad you can get at the moment.
I learned a lot from my parents...such as good grammar Mr."I didn't do nothing."

Also, you do realize the Prius isnt the only car in my garage...but I do happen to like it as my daily driver.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Je t'aime...

I learned a lot from my parents...such as good grammar Mr."I didn't do nothing."

Also, you do realize the Prius isnt the only car in my garage...but I do happen to like it as my daily driver.
I didn't know you were suppose to learn grammar from parents... I did that on purpose, you know? I don't know if age has a factor to do with how uptight you are, but really, you're gonna point out "I didn't do nothing". I think I know the correct way to say it, but I choose not too. Damn, does grammar piss you off as well?

You do seem mad. I just read your post on the Lexus thread, and boy you seem angry.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
The Third Ball

I didn't know you were suppose to learn grammar from parents... I did that on purpose, you know? I don't know if age has a factor to do with how uptight you are, but really, you're gonna point out "I didn't do nothing". I think I know the correct way to say it, but I choose not too. Damn, does grammar piss you off as well?

You do seem mad. I just read your post on the Lexus thread, and boy you seem angry.
You didn't? Are your parents just as uneducated as you? Sure, I learned grammar in school. I also had my parents to help teach and reinforce what I learned. Sad you were denied such basic parenting skills.

grammar is a direct reflection on how intelligent you sound...i smell another attempt at backpedaling.

You can keep trying to say I'm angry, I know, its hard for you to be all butt hurt on a public forum.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Je t'aime...

You didn't? Are your parents just as uneducated as you? Sure, I learned grammar in school. I also had my parents to help teach and reinforce what I learned. Sad you were denied such basic parenting skills.

grammar is a direct reflection on how intelligent you sound...i smell another attempt at backpedaling.

You can keep trying to say I'm angry, I know, its hard for you to be all butt hurt on a public forum.
Oh, I don't want to be butt hurt on a public forum, because it shows how poorly you have in social skills.

You got mad over one Prius remark. Hope you aren't in retail.

Wow, now with the parents insults. Yeah, my parents are uneducated. My uneducated parents make more money than your parents and you combined. Yup, my parents are uneducated. You lack common sense as well.

Keep trying to deny you're mad, because the way you are acting w/ your language shows how pissed off you are.

I'm just enjoying myself talking to you while you are taking this whole issue seriously and damaging your heart. Getting mad often (like yourself) puts you at risk for a heart attack.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
The Third Ball

Oh, I don't want to be butt hurt on a public forum, because it shows how poorly you have in social skills.

You got mad over one Prius remark. Hope you aren't in retail.

Wow, now with the parents insults. Yeah, my parents are uneducated. My uneducated parents make more money than your parents and you combined. Yup, my parents are uneducated. You lack common sense as well.

Keep trying to deny you're mad, because the way you are acting w/ your language shows how pissed off you are.

I'm just enjoying myself talking to you while you are taking this whole issue seriously and damaging your heart. Getting mad often (like yourself) puts you at risk for a heart attack.

"My daddy can beat up your daddy"

Damn shame having money doesnt make you smart...

That all you got? What else do you want to try and come at me with?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Je t'aime...

"My daddy can beat up your daddy"

Damn shame having money doesnt make you smart...

That all you got? What else do you want to try and come at me with?
Shame, having more money means having a higher education (in most cases).

Well I can't honestly say how smart your dad is, but I can say he lacks book smart.

Besides, how mad can you get? You even insulted my parents. You're one funny adult. I haven't met one adult that's in their 30s and argues with young adults in college. It gets lonely at night, huh? The strip club is still open. You can go there and they will make you smile!

To show everyone how immature and pathetic you're, I'm going to stop replying to you because its going off topic.

The posts are there, and it shows you got mad off one lame joke. You my friend need a job or a better job. Maybe a life, I don't know. You just spend hours on a car forum arguing with a college student.

Last edited by HondaOnWORKS; 01-10-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 PM
The Third Ball

Yes, I got made off a joke.

I am now a goodfella because I was made off of one joke.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i started reading GS-F thread and now this..

i kept reading and reading.. hoping that some good discussion was in line
man was i wrong..
Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Here we go....
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i like the prius V because it got rid of the split window rear hatch of the regular prius
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i like the prius V because it got rid of the split window rear hatch of the regular prius
I've grown to kind of like the split window...that bar/panel/whatever is perfectly placed to block the majority headlights' beams of cars behind you at night. So much nicer.

I like the extra storage of the wagon, and a normal can hold quite a bit (one reason I got it) I wonder if they give the wagon a little more juice.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Shame, having more money means having a higher education (in most cases).

Well I can't honestly say how smart your dad is, but I can say he lacks book smart.

Besides, how mad can you get? You even insulted my parents. You're one funny adult. I haven't met one adult that's in their 30s and argues with young adults in college. It gets lonely at night, huh? The strip club is still open. You can go there and they will make you smile!

To show everyone how immature and pathetic you're, I'm going to stop replying to you because its going off topic.

The posts are there, and it shows you got mad off one lame joke. You my friend need a job or a better job. Maybe a life, I don't know. You just spend hours on a car forum arguing with a college student.
Next comment like this and lets see who gets slapped with who's wallet for a 7 day ban. Has anyone even read the rules about posting?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,821 Likes on 3,734 Posts
never mind..... just...Wow.

Last edited by pttl; 01-11-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post 2011 Toyota Prius c Concept

Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Press release...

While the current Prius has ushered hybrid technology into the mainstream, and the Prius v will provide the additional room and versatility for active families, compact shoppers are interested in a smaller hybrid at an entry price point and with superior fuel economy. The Prius c Concept, with c representing a “city”-centric vehicle, will appeal to young singles and couples who want an eco-sensitive, high-mileage, fun-to-drive Prius.

This dynamic vehicle with urban appeal will pursue outstanding fuel efficiency in a compact package, while also providing a surprisingly spacious interior. It will include many advanced technology features, including some offered on the current Prius.

Prius c Concept is the inspiration for an additional Prius family member that will come to market in the first half of 2012 as the most value-oriented hybrid in the U.S. market with the highest mileage of any “cordless” hybrid.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Prius News