AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Toyota: Highlander News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/toyota-highlander-news-302781/)

gavriil 04-08-2005 10:16 AM

Toyota: Highlander News

Hybrid Highlander starts at $33,595 - - By MARK RECHTIN, Automotive News - - Source: AUtoweek

Prices for the gasoline-electric hybrid version of the Toyota Highlander sport wagon will start at $33,595, including destination charges. The price for the two-wheel-drive hybrid version is $6,840 more than the standard V-6 gasoline version with three rows of seats. The all-wheel-drive 2006 Highlander Hybrid will have a sticker price of $34,995, including freight. That is $6,840 more than the awd gasoline version. The Highlander Hybrid arrives in dealerships in June.

gavriil 04-08-2005 10:17 AM

Sounds kind of expensive...

95gt 04-08-2005 10:27 AM

Saw the review in this month motor trent (Priced at 36k :shocked:

Performance was impressive (0-60 in under 7) but man that is a lot to pay for a toyota highlander. Will be interesting to see if it can find a market. Especially considering the dated design of that car. :dunno:

Infamous425 04-08-2005 10:39 AM

sounds about right ... 10k less than the rx400h

gavriil 04-08-2005 01:41 PM

I just dont see someone getting a hybrid Highlander over an RX330.

Infamous425 04-08-2005 01:59 PM

theyd be getting it for the gas mileage over a rx330

biker 04-08-2005 03:03 PM

Even at $5/gal the payback for the extra up-fornt cost will never be recouped in the average time a person keeps a vehicle. The extra performance in this type of vehicle is rather useless. Toyota could accomplish the same milage increase with a diesel (granted with less performance) for 1/4 of the extra cost - but hybrid is the next "thing" to have so that's what they'll offer.

Somehow I don't see that many people lining up for this thing. The extra cost over the gas version will be ever higher than the MSRP sugests since the hybrid will command sitcker while you can get discounts on the gas version. And the hybrid will most likely be fairly loaded.

gavriil 04-08-2005 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Infamous425
theyd be getting it for the gas mileage over a rx330

But this is not a valid argument to buy a hybrid vehicle today. The price premium you pay takes for ever to make up for the gas savings.

Right now, hybrid technology makes more sense for people that are looking for more power without the added gas cost that usually comes from a huge engine.

In this case, the RX does not offer a V8, nor does the Highlander. So why buy the hybrid toyota over the IC-engined Lexus? When the price is pretty much the same.

dom 04-08-2005 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gavriil
Sounds kind of expensive...

Still about equal to or cheaper than ugly as sin B9 Tribeca.

sipark 04-08-2005 03:11 PM

when are they going bring new highlander model? Didn't it come out shortly after the 1st gen rx300?

95gt 04-08-2005 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sipark
when are they going bring new highlander model? Didn't it come out shortly after the 1st gen rx300?

:werd:

my wife has a 2001 model and there is virtually no difference in the 2005 model. That is a bit too long of a life cycle for me.

biker 04-08-2005 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 95gt
:werd:

my wife has a 2001 model and there is virtually no difference in the 2005 model. That is a bit too long of a life cycle for me.

It is kinda surprising that they would spend that much money sticking the hybrid in a model that will get redone next year. Like the RAV4/CR-V comparison, the Pilot beats the Highlander on space/size (especially that third row seating) at the same price.

95gt 04-08-2005 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by biker
It is kinda surprising that they would spend that much money sticking the hybrid in a model that will get redone next year. Like the RAV4/CR-V comparison, the Pilot beats the Highlander on space/size (especially that third row seating) at the same price.

Agree on Pilot point (if it was out at the time we totally would have gone with it)

I would be very suprised if this new hybrid system does not fit right into the next highlander model. Of course i assume the next one will be based on the new RX so it would make sense that it would fit.

Guess this is toyotas last ditch effort on keeping the model alive before a redo.

Hell I am sure it is still selling well. There are 4 of the fucking things in my neighborhood alone (3 the exact same color). I am sick of people waving at me thinking I am someone else

Infamous425 04-08-2005 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by gavriil
But this is not a valid argument to buy a hybrid vehicle today. The price premium you pay takes for ever to make up for the gas savings.

Right now, hybrid technology makes more sense for people that are looking for more power without the added gas cost that usually comes from a huge engine.

In this case, the RX does not offer a V8, nor does the Highlander. So why buy the hybrid toyota over the IC-engined Lexus? When the price is pretty much the same.

i think it is... why do people pay over 20k for a prius (and have to wait months to get it) when you can get a corolla or camry for under 20k?

heyitsme 04-08-2005 06:55 PM

i think it is... why do people pay over 20k for a prius (and have to wait months to get it) when you can get a corolla or camry for under 20k?

The prius is a more versatile car than the corolla but I don't think the price increase really justifies that. I'm not sure what motivates people to get into these cars versus a high mileage compact, maybe refinement. Compacts lead the class in mpg, but larger cars lead in comfort. Get mpg into a larger car and it attracts that same type of buyer.

Only prob is companies make compact car mpg affordable, where all of a sudden hybrid has made midsize cars etc more expensive. Makes no sense why these companies aren't spreading the technology throughout the brand- like hybrid 4-cylinder base models etc that are low twenties.

This whole performance hybrid marketing seems to only make the technology less desirable with the high prices and mild mpg increases.

gavriil 04-09-2005 10:18 AM

It is kinda surprising that they would spend that much money sticking the hybrid in a model that will get redone next year.

Exactly my thought at first.

Then I thought, maybe the platform of the next Highlander will ba shared with the current one.

gavriil 04-09-2005 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 95gt
I am sick of people waving at me thinking I am someone else

Hehehe...

gavriil 04-09-2005 10:21 AM

This is not a good example because the Corolla, the Prius and the Camry are all Toyotas. The branding factor is not there in your example.

Finally, there is no non-hybrid Prius and a hybrid Prius. See below about this.

gavriil 04-09-2005 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by heyitsme
The prius is a more versatile car than the corolla but I don't think the price increase really justifies that. I'm not sure what motivates people to get into these cars versus a high mileage compact, maybe refinement.

Because the Prius was the "first" hybrid Toyota. The market associates the Prius name with the "hybrid" as a technology. When Toyota introduces a hybrid version across the lineup as they have promised, the Prius will situation will look like a hype. Sales will level off, then go down.

Plus I am under the impression the Prius is much bigger inside than a Corrolla. Also it's not easy to find Camrys that are much below the Prius price at dealer lots.

Teh Jatt 04-23-2005 02:25 PM

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Take the RX400h, subtract the attitude.
by John Pearley Huffman (2005-04-11)

It's pretty simple to boil Toyota's Highlander Hybrid down to this: It's the Lexus RX400h's drivetrain under Toyota's unpretentious crossover sheetmetal. Not only is that reduction simple, it's pretty much accurate too. So I've driven the Highlander before… and I've driven the RX400h before… maybe I can review this vehicle by mashing together the two reviews I've written before and throwing in a few tweaks.

Text from my Highlander review is in italics. Text from my RX400h review is in bold. New text is in plain type.

SUV Outside, Camry Inside

Toyota's Highlander just can't seem to take itself too seriously. This is a car-based SUV that's sorely lacking in the pretentiousness department. In fact, as we've said, it almost lacks enough pretenses to qualify as a crossover SUV at all. In its heart, the Highlander knows that it's really a Camry wagon.

Back in 2004, Toyota has tweaked many of the Highlander's details, added their instantly ubiquitous 3.3-liter V-6 engine to the menu, and bolted in a third-row seat. But they still haven't given didn't give it an attitude, and that's just fine.

Now Toyota has seriously upped the Highlander's profile by stuffing in the same " Hybrid Synergy Drive " system that's also used in Lexus' RX400h.

While the RX400h's and Highlander's hybrid system carries the same "Hybrid Synergy Drive" name as that in Toyota's Prius, it's not just the Prius' motors and battery pack wedged into the RX or Highlander. In fact the RX400h's and Highlander's system is in some ways more advanced than its hybrid cousin.

As a "full hybrid" the RX400h and Highlander is are capable of running solely on its their electric motors, solely on its their 3.3-liter V-6, or with the electric and internal combustion systems working in tandem. The DOHC, 24-valve V-6 is the same basic 3MZ-FE engine installed in the RX330 (and the ES330, Toyota Sienna, Solara, Highlander, and some Camrys) without an alternator and with the power steering pump, water pump, and A/C compressor removed to be driven electrically. Despite that reduction in parasitic drag, revised calibration of the VVT-i variable valve timing and electronic throttle limit engine output to 208 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 212 pound-feet of peak torque at 4400 rpm compared to the RX330's and regular Highlander V-6's 230 hp at 5600 rpm and 242 lb-ft at 3600 rpm. The lower output, claims Lexus, is "to promote smooth integration with hybrid system" which includes a unique electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT) instead of the five-speed automatic transaxle to which the 3.3-liter is leashed in all its other U.S. applications.

The electrical portion of the hybrid system consists of three 650-volt "Motor Generators" and a sealed nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH) battery pack stowed under the rear seat. The first of the motor generators is front-mounted and acts as the engine starter and as an engine-driven generator. The second is also mounted up front and drives the front wheels through the CVT along with acting as a generator during regenerative braking. Finally (in the four-wheel drive Highlander Hybrid and the RX400h) the third motor is rear-mounted where it powers the rear wheels and generates current during braking. In fact that electric motor is the only power the rear wheels get, giving the RX400h (and the 4WD Highlander) an unusual all-wheel-drive system and saving again on parasitic drivetrain losses. A computer determines just how much torque should be pumping through which wheels and at which time.

Put all the engines together and Lexus says there's a total of 268 hp aboard - fully 38 more than what motivates the RX330 (or Highlander V-6). However at 4365 lb, the RX400h weighs in 300 lb heavier than the RX330, so that's a mitigating factor on performance.

At 4070 lb in two-wheel drive form and 4245 lb in all-wheel drive, the Highlander is slightly lighter than its Lexus brother. So theoretically at least, this should be the world's quickest hybrid SUV when it goes on sale in June. Of course if you're buying your hybrid SUV as a drag racer, well, that's sort of perverse.

Spooky Smooth

The Hybrid Synergy Drive system operates in the Highlander with the same casual brilliance it does in the RX400h. But the The hybrid's electric motors add gobs of torque throughout the drivetrain's operating range and that means better initial acceleration and consistent urge toward terminal velocity. It's also tremendously smooth and quiet - maybe even a bit smoother and quieter than the very smooth and very quiet RX330 and Highlander - at virtually all times.

But it doesn't feel like a conventional drivetrain. At low speeds the RX400h or Highlander Hybrid will creep along silently tugged along by its front electric motor and when the throttle is mashed the engine spins to its torque peak and just stays there as the CVT does its infinitely variable work. When the Highlander Hybrid is running on just the electric motors, it's virtually silent. When the V-6 is contributing, it's only slightly less than that. Some drivers may never grow acclimated to the CVT's operation, but otherwise this is simply the best drivetrain for around-town use ever put into a crossover SUV.

Since the Highlander SUV comes equipped with Toyota 's Vehicle Stablity Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and the new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) the most efficient way to describe the driving experience is with one word: antiseptic. Even if the chassis wants to do something untoward there are too many computers on board to keep it from behaving badly. And there's nothing to indicate that the chassis has any intention to behave badly at all. There's also nothing to indicate it wants to do anything interesting either - the steering is bland, the cornering limits modest and the reflexes subdued.

Very Familiar

Because the Highlander gained a third-row seat with its mid-cycle 2004 updating, the Hybrid version is the first hybrid with seats enough for seven. The Highlander's third-row seat isn't a place anyone bigger than a four year-old would want to spend a lot of time. Leg room is a dead heat between the Pilot and Highlander at 30.2 inches, but the Honda has the Toyota covered in virtually every other dimension back there, including a substantial 5.6-inch advantage in shoulder room and a massive 6.6-inch advantage in headroom. Virtually all of the Pilot's additional rearmost seat room can be traced directly to the fact that it was designed from the outset to accommodate the third seat and therefore has, for instance, a roof that rises in the back to open up for the backbenchers. On the other hand, the Highlander's roof has a drooping rake to it that squeezes down on top of the where rearward passengers heads should be. It also means the Pilot has - rather optimistically - seatbelts enough for three passengers back there while the Highlander has them for two.

The Highlander interior design is otherwise comfortable and contemporary looking. The "Optitron-illuminated" instrumentation is contained within three circles in front of the driver, with the ventilation, entertainment and navigation systems conventionally mounted in the center stack. The speedometer is still the center and most prominent instrument, with a power production gauge to the left (expressed in kilowatts) and the fuel and temperature gauges to the right. A diagram of power usage similar to that on the Prius shares the navigation screen. The seats have flat bottoms but better shaped backs and there are more airbags aboard this Highlander than there were aboard the Hindenburg.

On the outside, what distinguishes the Hybrid from regular old Highlanders are its own unique chrome-tinged grille, new front bumper, and LED taillights. The wheels are unique 17-inchers insides P225/65R-17 all-season radials. Sheetmetal boxes don't come much more squarely cut than the Highlander's, and that doesn't change for 2004 with the Hybrid version.

A full-range hybrid

Unlike the RX400h that comes only one way, there are four different Highlander Hybrids with both base and Limited versions coming in two- or four-wheel drive. The base Highlander Hybrid is a bit better equipped than the regular base Highlander (which is, after all, available pretty well stripped and has a four-cylinder engine), while the Limited includes virtually everything you'd expect in a Lexus.

That range means that prices for a Highlander Hybrid start at just $33,030 for a two-wheel-drive base machine. That's pretty dang cheap compared to the RX400h, and this SUV carries all that luxury liner's politically correct street cred along with the extra advantage of not being offensive to your PETA-member friends by eschewing leather upholstery. The Limited packs in the leather and starts at $37,890. Throw fiscal caution to the wind and the Hybrid Limited with 4WD is $39,290. That's still a bargain compared to the RX400h… though not cheap.

The 2004 Highlander Hybrid isn't going to inspire much passion among its buyers, but it will coddle every one of them in comfort through years - nay, decades - of reasonable transportation duty. The extra power is nice, and the third-row seat will keep a few buyers from scurrying over to the Honda store, but this is fundamentally the same vehicle as it was before the hybrid drivetrain was installed and that's plenty good.

But as with the RX400h, compared to the normally aspirated version of the Highlander, the Highlander Hybrid isn't that much better. Sure the unlikely-to-occur-in-real-life EPA mileage ratings are impressive (33 city/28 highway for the 4x2 and 31 city/27 highway for the 4x4), but the most expensive regular 2005 Highlander - the V-6 Limited 4x4 - is only $31,380. And the cheapest 2005 Highlander - the four-cylinder 4x2 - is just $24,080. So there's a mighty premium being asked for the hybrid and there's no reasonable way to make the math work so that the fuel savings pay the difference. That's particularly so if you try and account for the eventual replacement of the Hybrid's batteries.

So to buy an RX400h a Highlander Hybrid a buyer must conclude that there's something beyond mere economics at work in the decision; that this machine's good intentions and excellent execution are worth telling all the neighbors about. But it also makes one hungry for the next step in Toyota 's evolution of the crossover SUV into the perfect consumer product. Will they play catch up when they design the next Highlander? Or leap ahead of everyone else? The Highlander Hybrid has me expecting a leap.

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4x2
Base price: $33,030
Engine: 3.3-liter V-6, two electric motors
Drivetrain: Continuously variable automatic transmission, electronic all-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 185.4 x 71.9 x 68.3 in
Wheelbase: 106.9 in
Curb weight: 4070 lb
Safety equipment: Dual front airbags, side airbags, side curtain airbags, four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes
Major standard equipment: Power windows/locks/mirrors, A/C, cruise control, CD player, keyless entry
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles basic; five years/60,000 miles powertrain

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...274.A8429.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/imag...8559_image.jpg

biker 04-23-2005 03:43 PM

Seems to me that only some real show offs would want to buy this - neither the economics nor the performance make sense. Two years from now when you can get the same benefits with a diesel engine for $$$ less the buyers of this vehicle will be kicking themselves, unless of course one bought it to be able to use HOV lanes at rush hour. :rolleyes:

charliemike 04-23-2005 04:15 PM

Even at $5/gal the payback for the extra up-fornt cost will never be recouped in the average time a person keeps a vehicle. The extra performance in this type of vehicle is rather useless. Toyota could accomplish the same milage increase with a diesel (granted with less performance) for 1/4 of the extra cost - but hybrid is the next "thing" to have so that's what they'll offer.

Don't forget, in some states hybrids get HOV privileges :)

MSZ 04-23-2005 04:30 PM

Here are some of the engine/motor specs for the JDM RX:

Engine:
code: 3MZ-FE
3.310L V6
compression: 10.8:1
211ps @ 5,600rpm
29.4kgm @ 4,400rpm

Front motor:
code: 1JM
167ps @ 4,500rpm
34.0kgm @ 0 - 1,500rpm

Rear motor:
code: 2FM
68ps @ 4,610 - 5,120rpm
13.3kgm @ 0 - 610rpm

1ps = 0.99hp
1kgm = 7.23lb.ft

dallison 04-23-2005 04:59 PM

thats a lot of cash for a highlander, but i guess thats the going rate

biker 04-24-2005 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by charliemike
Don't forget, in some states hybrids get HOV privileges :)

You are quite right. I have a feeling many folks are buying for that privalage alone and not any other factor. I know of someone who bought a Civic hybrid just for that and no other reason. I have a feeling the diesel lobby won't be as succesful at getting HOV privaleges as the hybrid lobby did. So when politicians say that you can enjoy HOV (and tax breaks) with alternative fuel vehicles - diesel need not apply. :rolleyes:

dom 04-25-2005 09:06 AM

Toronto, Ontario - Toyota Canada announced the Highlander Hybrid goes on sale in Canada this Summer with an MSRP of $44,205 for the five-passenger model with standard air conditioning, cruise control, and power windows and locks. The seven-passenger model, with leather interior, automatic climate control, anti-theft system and premium audio is $53,145.

gavriil 04-25-2005 10:26 AM

That's Canadian dollars, right? :)

dom 04-25-2005 10:39 AM

Ya, I figured the Toronto, Ontario and Toyota Canada part would have tipped people off. :D

gavriil 07-30-2005 12:17 PM

Toyota boosts sticker prices on'06 models - - By Greg Migliore - - Source: Automotive News

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. raised the sticker prices on nine 2006 Toyota Division models. The price increases range from $150 to $385.

A base Highlander SUV with a four-cylinder engine is $25,095; a V-6 limited-edition version starts at $32,425.

gavriil 01-22-2007 03:00 PM

Next Gen. Toyota Highlander News **4 cylinder Added for 09 (page 1)**

New Highlander Coming to Chicago - - by Marty Padgett - - Source: The Car Connection

Toyota has announced it will bring the new Highlander crossover and Highlander Hybrid to the Chicago auto show next month.

No details were provided on the new vehicles, save for their 2008 model-year designation. Toyota does remind us that it's the only company with three hybrids in its lineup - the Highlander, Camry and Prius.

The new Highlander bows in the face of new competition in the segment from Saturn's Outlook to the Ford Edge and the Hyundai Veracruz.

Moog-Type-S 01-22-2007 04:24 PM

It's about time!! Talk about a design that is long in tooth!

keg1997 01-22-2007 07:52 PM

^^^ No joke...the Highlander was out when we were shopping for our Pathfinder in '01. Then again...so was the Pilot.

alex2364 01-22-2007 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by keg1997
^^^ No joke...the Highlander was out when we were shopping for our Pathfinder in '01. Then again...so was the Pilot.

The Pilot was out in 2003.

TSX69 02-07-2007 09:49 AM

Pix

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/i...1142142408.jpg
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/i...1142152973.jpg
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/i...1142179188.jpg
C & D
More power, plusher interior, and RAV4-like styling for Toyota’s mid-sizer.
February 2007

While the domestic automakers scramble to put out their first crossover vehicles (unibody, ostensibly car-based SUVs), Toyota is preparing to launch the second generation of its Highlander crossover utility. The new Highlander will face far more competition than did its predecessor when it first went on sale in 2001. When the 2008 Highlander goes on sale in July, its rivals will include the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia, the Ford Edge, the Mazda CX-9, the Suzuki XL7, the Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz, as well as the long-in-tooth, but Car and Driver favorite, Honda Pilot.

Loosely based on the current Camry platform, the Highlander is four inches longer, three inches wider, and rides on a three inch longer wheelbase than the previous generation. As one would expect, there is commensurate increase in interior space. Second row occupants will find more legroom and adjustable captain’s chairs that recline and offer 4.7 inches of fore/aft travel. For those who want a second-row bench, the Highlander hides a center seat in a compartment between the front seats that provides room for three. Toyota doesn’t specifically mention an increase in third-row space, but we expect a more spacious third row; the previous Highlander had a small third row that was really only good for kids under 10. Front-row occupants are greeted by a particularly Lexus-like dashboard. Interior materials look first rate and more upmarket than before.

The sole powertrain in the ‘08 Highlander is a 270-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 mated to a five-speed automatic (the 155-horsepower four-cylinder model is dead). While the 3.5-liter has 55 more horses than the previous Highlander’s optional 3.3-liter V-6, the dimensional increases add a claimed 500 pounds to the new Highlander’s curb weight which we expect to be around 4500 pounds. Despite the increase in power and weight, Toyota promises that fuel economy will be nearly on par with the previous Highlander which was 19 city/25 highway for front-wheel drive models, 18/24 for all-wheel drive.

Three trim levels will be offered (Base, Sport, and Limited) and buyers will also be able to choose between front-drive or all-wheel drive. Sport and Limited models get a standard rear-view camera that does not require purchasing the optional navigation system. Major options include leather seats, heated seats, a touch-screen navigation system, an upgraded stereo, a rear-seat DVD entertainment system, and a towing package that increases towing capacity to 5000 pounds.

Exterior styling is in the current Toyota SUV idiom—that is, it looks like a bloated RAV4. Toyota calls it “intelligence over toughness” which is just the sort of thing that people say right before they get punched. In the interest of safety, the hood and fenders are designed to accommodate pedestrian impacts, and the Highlander comes with seven airbags including a driver’s side knee airbag and curtain airbags for all three rows. Other safety equipment includes stability control, ABS, traction control, and brake assist that adds braking force in an emergency. No pricing information was announced, but we expect the 2008 Highlander to start at about $28,000.

Ashburner 02-07-2007 10:01 AM

Nice interior!

dom 02-07-2007 10:01 AM

Looks like a Mitsu. Front end from the new Outlander and rear from the Endevor.

RWalker2 02-07-2007 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Looks like a Mitsu. Front end from the new Outlander and rear from the Endevor.

Thats what I thought too. With a little RAV4 thrown in.

Interior looks decent.

dom 02-07-2007 10:35 AM

Interior is great.

And whats with the color. Couldn't they have picked a nicer one for the debut. I'll definently be taking a look at one of these when its time.

AsianRage 02-07-2007 11:15 AM

Definitely ugly. I'd rather take a Rav4 over that pile of mish mash.

Moog-Type-S 02-07-2007 11:39 AM

Interior is a big improvement...it's nice.
Exterior is awkward looking.