Toyota: FJ Cruiser News

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota: FJ Cruiser News

DETROIT – Bucking a trend that has seen Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. revive its legendary Z car and Mazda Motor Corp. wow the market with an incarnation of its rotary-powered RX, Toyota Motor Corp. says it has no plans to resuscitate its Supra heritage.

The reason, says James E. Press, executive vice president and chief operating officer-Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., is that the sports coupe segment is highly fickle – despite the success of the Nissan 350Z and buzz surrounding the recent release of the Mazda RX-8.

Toyota won’t revive Supra.
Press points instead to the Camry Solara, MR2 Spyder roadster and Celica, along with sport-tuned versions of some Toyota trucks, as filling the performance void. Also coming is the Corolla RS, a new trim level of Toyota’s popular compact sedan powered by the GTS Celica’s engine.

The Matrix, another Corolla derivative, was supposed to attract a younger demographic, bringing them to the Toyota brand and bridging the gap between the parent company and its newly created youth division, Scion.

However, insiders say Matrix has not been able to fill that role.

FJ Cruiser concept
Instead of reviving the Supra, Press tells Ward's a vehicle such as the FJ Cruiser concept, shown a year ago at the North American International Auto Show, would be more appropriate.

The auto maker hasn’t formally announced it will build a production version of the FJ Cruiser, but officials have all but confirmed that it’s in Toyota’s production plans.

“I don’t think we’ve finalized the timing,” Press says. “But I can tell you this: If and when we build it, you won’t be able to tell the difference between the model in Detroit and the production vehicle. If it doesn’t look like it, we won’t build it.”

Press is vague on details but says the FJ, a small SUV resembling the original FJ Land Cruiser derivatives that were sold from 1960 to the mid-1980s, would be on a body-on-frame, truck-based platform and built in Japan.

Early speculation had seen the small SUV built at New United Motor Mfg. Inc. in Fremont, CA, on the Toyota Tacoma platform. Capacity at NUMMI is slated to free up in 2006, when Toyota shifts some Tacoma production to a facility currently under construction in Baja California, Mexico, just outside Tijuana.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:45 PM

The last thing toyota needs is another SUV. Rav4, 4 runner, highlander, sequoia, landcruiser, did i leave any out?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am stunned that the Supra wont happen. Unbelievable.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

fick·le ( P )
adj.

Characterized by erratic changeableness or instability, especially with regard to affections or attachments; capricious.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Horrible decision by Toyota IMO.. Another reason why I have absolutely no interest in any of their products. I didn't even bother visiting their display at the Detroit auto show, because I can care less about their cars/SUV's
Old 01-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
typical toyota mentality
Old 01-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
100% ugly.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

It is really disappointing news, although I hope the FJ rocks cause its a cool vehicle.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked the old FJ-40's, but I don't really like the FJ concept vehicle. It's kinda fugly. Not in a good fugly way that the old Fj's were, but in a bad Aztec fugly way

The front end is nice, but the rear end is to complicated. The rear needs to be smoothed out.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i love the FJ concept. I want one. But, i would rather see a new Supra...i will sacrafice for the greater good.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All they need for a Tagline is

"The car from The Fast And The Furious........REBORN"

and they will sell a million plus.

Look at how much Supras are going for with like 100k miles, the price of a new car! It's rediculous.

They should do it before Nissan brings the GT-R here, and Minch spends his money on it instead.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

In the 80's & very early 90's, Toyota was known for it's sporty coupes & they sold plenty.

Celica GT, Celica Supra, Supra turbo, Celica vert...all the SR-5s
Old 01-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
despite my wanted to see another supra, i can see their reasoning. Why did the legendary coupes of the mid to late 90's die out? because they couldnt sell enough. The marked is saturated already with sports cars
Old 01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally posted by bkknight369
despite my wanted to see another supra, i can see their reasoning. Why did the legendary coupes of the mid to late 90's die out? because they couldnt sell enough. The marked is saturated already with sports cars
Well the market for a Toyota Supra at that price is not a very big one ... The problem with the 300ZXTT and the SupraTT is that they were close to $45k by the end of their run.

During the period before the .com boom, that was just too much money.

The problem with all the Supra info I've seen on a possible new car, the Supra was going to be above what the old one was.

Toyota has killed off the Celica so why not build a $30k car that showcases how awesome Toyota's engines can be? The biggest reason for that can only be that Toyota has gotten so big that they have become the General Motors of Japan.

The similarities between Scion and Saturn cannot be overlooked. Both start a low-cost separate franchise to appeal to a completely different market than the parent company does. The biggest advantage for Toyota is that they do everything far far better than the General.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by charliemike
The biggest reason for that can only be that Toyota has gotten so big that they have become the General Motors of Japan.
And their designs are getting just as wack.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Kabachitare!

This is really disappointing news. I was really looking forward to see what the new Supra would be like. And there is no way a Solara or Matrix will fill in the Supra's role as a fun car in Toyota's lineup. But no matter, nature abhors a vacuum and the 350Z/G35 will do just fine for me when I get a new car in a few years.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by bkknight369
I dont agree. The reasons cars like the 3000 GT VR4, Supra, RX7 and 300 ZX were:

1. Got too pricey
2. The market turned on SUVs
3. Because they are coupes and coupes are not great sellers.

Though dont forget that the Corvette did not die (it should have been affected by all of the above factors). Why? Mainly because of the "legendary name". Which comes in contradiction of your statement above about these other cars being "legendary coupes".
Old 01-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by charliemike
Well the market for a Toyota Supra at that price is not a very big one ... The problem with the 300ZXTT and the SupraTT is that they were close to $45k by the end of their run.

If I remember correctly a Supra turbo was in the $50Ks before Toyota in a desparate move cut the price in the last year or two by $10K!
Old 01-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Its very possible, that the Supra is dead because it will now be a Lexus in the US and Japan.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nice but i'd rather have the bronco concept
Old 01-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by heyitsme
Its very possible, that the Supra is dead because it will now be a Lexus in the US and Japan.
Good point. And a great revelation that would be...
Old 01-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Safety Car

Toyota's ninth SUV, the FJ Cruiser, will debut in February at the Chicago auto show, taking its inspiration from an early-1960s Land Cruiser.

Full story: At a time when its upscale Lexus division is embracing a sleek and futuristic look, Toyota is taking a page from the retro stylebook with the introduction of its production-ready FJ Cruiser.

The FJ Cruiser will be unveiled next month at the Chicago auto show, Toyota said this week. Prices on the made-in-Japan SUV will be disclosed later.

The FJ Cruiser takes its inspiration from the Land Cruisers of the early 1960s. A concept version of the FJ Cruiser shown at the Detroit auto show in January 2003 was a boxy vehicle designed for off-road use.

The FJ will be the ninth sport-utility vehicle in the Toyota lineup.

What this means to you: Toyota beefs up its herd of SUV offerings with the FJ Cruiser. If a retro look appeals to you, the FJ Cruiser should be a winner.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Damn. Another SUV?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

I'm glad, return of the 2-door suv, just hope it looks better than the concept. Maybe ford will build the bronco concept.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:36 PM
101 years of heartache...

What the hell, Toyota! Oh well, I'd rather see Nissan or Honda succeed anyway. If Honda doesn't do something fast, Nissan will have the GT-R and dominate Japan's sports car market. There's only so much a 17 year old car (NSX) can do against Nissan engineers.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
What the hell, Toyota! Oh well, I'd rather see Nissan or Honda succeed anyway. If Honda doesn't do something fast, Nissan will have the GT-R and dominate Japan's sports car market. There's only so much a 17 year old car (NSX) can do against Nissan engineers.
Hehehe
Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Why another SUV?!?!?!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/futur...ser/index.html

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ON SALE: Early 2006
ESTIMATED PRICE: not available
BASE POWERTRAIN: 4.0 liter, 245 hp, 282 lb ft V6; 2wd or 4wd, five speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: not available
WHAT'S COOL: Toyota can do retro design, too, Mr. Mays. Rides on the 4Runner SUV platform. Production version closely resembles 2003 concept vehicle.
WHAT AUTOMAKER SAYS: "The FJ Cruiser effectively fills a gap in the Toyota lineup which was once our core heritage -- capable, affordable and durable vehicles that are youthful, fun-to-drive, aggressive and tough," says Don Esmond, Toyota Division general manager."

http://www.autoweek.com/files/specia...ruiser_190.htm
Old 02-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by www.toyota.com
PERFORMANCE FEATURES EXTERIOR FEATURES INTERIOR FEATURES
• 245-HP 4.0-LITER DOHC 24-VALVE V6 VVT-i ENGINE
• 4-WHEEL VENTILATED DISC BRAKES WITH ANTI-LOCK
BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS)
• VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL (VSC)1+ TRACTION
CONTROL (TRAC)2
• COLD WEATHER KIT (HEAVY-DUTY BATTERY, LARGE
WINDSHIELD WATER RESERVOIR, LARGE RADIATOR)
• ENGINE, TRANSFER CASE AND FUEL TANK SKID PLATES3
• FULL-SIZE SPARE TIRE
• BLACK OVERFENDERS
• P265/70R17 TIRES
• 17-IN. BLACK STEEL WHEELS
• BRUSHED-METAL DOOR HANDLES
• BLACK BUMPERS WITH BRUSHED-METAL HIGHLIGHTS
• WRAP-AROUND REAR CORNER WINDOWS
• NEAR-FLAT WINDSHIELD
• AVAILABLE ROOF RACK
• BLACK RUBBER-LIKE FLOOR
• REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER
• FOUR CUP HOLDERS
• SUN VISOR VANITY MIRROR4
• TILT STEERING WHEEL
• AM/FM CD PLAYER WITH SIX SPEAKERS
• POWER WINDOWS AND DOOR LOCKS
• AIR CONDITIONING
1. Toyota Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed,
road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner’s Manual for further details.
2. Available on 4x4 only.
3. Transfer case skid plate standard on 4x4 only.
4. On passenger-side only.
1-800-GO-TOYOTA
toyota.com
©2005 Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
KZ5-167
AT FIRST GLIMPSE, YOU MIGHT HAVE THE URGE TO TAKE A STEP BACK. THE NEW FJ CRUISER NOT ONLY LOOKS DIFFERENT, IT IS DIFFERENT.
AND ITS LOOKS ARE BACKED UP BY SOME VERY FORMIDABLE CAPABILITIES. FJ CRUISER. SO AGGRESSIVE, EVEN THE OUTDOORS IS INTIMIDATED
Old 02-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by http://www.japanesecarfans.com/
Toyota Unveils FJ Cruiser SUV
Text & Photos courtesy Toyota Motor North America
edited 02-09-2005
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photo.../toyota/1.html

Toyota unveiled the all-new FJ Cruiser sport utility vehicle (SUV) at a press conference today at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show. The overwhelmingly positive response to the FJ Cruiser concept, developed two years ago, prompted Toyota to launch a production version of the SUV. The all-new production model retains much of the design details of the original concept.
"The FJ Cruiser effectively fills a gap in the Toyota lineup which was once our core heritage - capable, affordable and durable vehicles that are youthful, fun-to-drive, aggressive and tough," said Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager, Toyota Division. "The FJ Cruiser will deliver true off-road ruggedness, image and performance at a very low price, making it highly accessible for a large volume of young buyers."

The final production design of the FJ Cruiser was a joint project by Toyota Motor Corporation and Calty Design Research, which developed the original concept vehicle shown at the North American International Auto Show in 2003. Chiseled from nearly a half-century tradition of tough off-road performance provided by the legendary FJ 40, the original 4Runner, and 4x4 compact pickups, the FJ Cruiser was developed as a basic, capable and affordable off-roader aimed specifically at young buyers with active outdoor lifestyles.

The FJ Cruiser takes on an authentic functional form, yet adopts several styling cues from the original FJ 40. Some of these cues are notable on the front end by its wide grille with "Toyota" logo badging, round headlights, and offset combination lamps. Additional inspiration can be found through its upright windshield and white cap roof. Traits are also noticeable in the rear with wrapping rear corner windows. The modern shape of the FJ Cruiser is woven into a compact package set on a wide track, producing enhanced stability and a powerful stance.

Utility features include a two-part rear hatch with flip-up glass, black overfenders with mudguards, and silver painted bumper extenders, mirrors, door handles and skid plate. Easy rear passenger entry into the two-door SUV is achieved with rear access doors.

Power is supplied by a 4.0-liter V6 engine, generating 245 horsepower and 282 lb-ft. of torque. The engine is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission on both 4x2 and 4x4 configurations and an available six-speed manual on 4x4 models.

The five-passenger FJ Cruiser rides on a modified 4Runner platform and features 17-inch steel wheels and four-wheel disc brakes. Just like all of the SUV’s in Toyota's line-up, the FJ Cruiser will be equipped with the Star Safety System which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and traction control (TRAC), an anti-lock brake system (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and brake assist as standard. All 4x2 models will come with a standard automatic limited slip differential (ALSD).

The tough and straightforward theme of the FJ Cruiser is extended to the interior with a cabin designed specifically for basic functionality and flexible utility. The instrument panel features an exterior color trim, adding to its sophisticated, handcrafted appearance. The faceplate with round inset instrumentation communicates a mechanical appearance. The steering wheel and center-mounted shifter, and attached-look door panels feature tool-like simplicity. The rear seats fold flat, creating ample cargo space and maximum usability.

The interior will be equipped with an array of standard convenience features including air conditioning, AM/FM CD audio with six speakers, tilt steering wheel, four cupholders, passenger seat back pocket, and an upper dash-mounted map/glove box.

Additional optional equipment includes 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, rear differential lock, electronic four-wheel traction control (on 4WD models only), running boards, rear sonar backup assist, front seat-mounted side airbags and front- and rear-side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, power outside mirror with image lights, cruise control, AM/FM CD audio with a six-disc changer, equalizer and eight speakers, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, multi-information display, exterior color door insert panels, privacy glass, and rear wiper.

"Toyota is responding to the needs of a new generation of buyers with a modern interpretation of a Toyota classic, combining Toyota heritage with the safety and refinement requirements of today’s market," said Esmond.

The Toyota FJ Cruiser will reach Toyota dealerships in early 2006.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Vehicle Preliminary Specifications

POWERTRAIN
4.0 Liter V6 – 245 hp /282 torque
5-speed automatic

Available 6-speed manual in 4x4

DIMENSIONS (inches)
Overall Length: 177.6
Overall Width: 74.6

Overall Height: 70.9

Wheelbase: 105.9

Ground Clearance: 9.6

Wheels: 17 inches black steel wheels w/full size spare Available alloy wheels (5)

Tire Size: 265/70R17

Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs.

Seating Capacity: 5

Last edited by heyitsme; 02-09-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Another "go with the grain" addition to the wonderful, but pathetic, world of esuvees.

Btw, whens the jeep-mini-hummer porn video coming out? This is the byproduct.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:28 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CLUofI
The last thing toyota needs is another SUV. Rav4, 4 runner, highlander, sequoia, landcruiser, did i leave any out?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Safety Car

I don't see how its really a go with the grain product, its the reintroduction of a previous model.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
fap fap fap

guess im the only one who likes it
Old 02-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
actually i kinda like the way it looks

Old 02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by heyitsme
I don't see how its really a go with the grain product, its the reintroduction of a previous model.
It's just another retro styled box that is in line with the Hummer line and many others...

And like Toyota really needs another SUV in it's line up.

Well, here's another stupid SUV I'm gonna have to honk at so that he/she/dumbass doesn't run me over.

Junkster, who thinks people should really start to drive wagons
Old 02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
A 4.0L V6? That's pretty large...I thought the general rule was that 4.0L and up would become 8-cylinders?

Anyways, I like it. But it does look like a Jeep knockoff.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

Ford's workhouse truck (Explorer) & base Mustang V6 is 4.0 liters.
I wouldn't expect one like that from Toyota though.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
fap fap fap

the current 4runner has had a 4.0 for a few years now and so does the new tacoma
Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i kinda like it. i would love to see in black or white.

Quick Reply: Toyota: FJ Cruiser News