AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Toyota: Camry News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/toyota-camry-news-134010/)

gavriil 03-13-2004 02:29 PM

Toyota: Camry News

Hybrid Camry Coming in '06? - - - Source: The Car Connection

Toyota will likely add the Camry to its hybrid-vehicle lineup in 2006, according to a report in the Japanese daily Nihon Keizai. The paper says the Camry hybrid is being targeted for 100,000 sales a year, mostly in North America. Toyota currently offers the Prius hybrid, and is set to introduce a gas-electric version of the Lexus RX sport-utility vehicle this fall. The Camry is America's most popular passenger car, with sales last year of more than 400,000 units. Toyota's chief hybrid competitor, Honda, has also announced hybrid plans for its mainstream family sedan, the Accord, for the fall.

1SICKLEX 03-13-2004 03:03 PM

Toyota has stated all their cars/trucks will offer hybrid by 2010. Glad to see we can have better fuel economy in cars that need it.

ItalianStallion 03-13-2004 03:14 PM

excellent. i love hybrids.

who was it that said a couple months ago that "hybrid cars wont be ready for years, definitly not the near future"? all i remember is that i couldnt stop laughing at how stupid that person sounded :rofl:

heyitsme 03-13-2004 07:40 PM

Good news, I hope the car looks better than what it is now though.

gavriil 03-14-2004 06:57 PM

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota has stated all their cars/trucks will offer hybrid by 2010. Glad to see we can have better fuel economy in cars that need it.
I think the year they stated was 2012.

gavriil 11-30-2004 07:04 PM

Toyota Camry News

X Marks Spot For Toyota - - Source: Autoexpress

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture...17500.jpg?9194

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture...17501.jpg?5690

Toyota's new flagship has been caught on Camry! This is the firm's Mark X, which has been unveiled in its home market of Japan.

Powered by a choice of 2.5 or 3.0-litre V6 engines, both with automatic transmission, the Mark X is rumoured to be the replacement for the recently discontinued Camry. Bosses are said to be currently evaluating the car's suitability for sale in European markets.

The luxury newcomer is the latest to join a long line of Toyota's Japan-only models, which began with the Mark II in 1968.

This time, though, the car maker is hoping for a more global reach, and a version is already being developed for the US market. Whether it comes to Europe will be determined by demand. However, the rear-wheel-drive chassis is entirely new and, even if the Mark X doesn't come to the UK, it's likely that its platform will underpin the next-generation Lexus IS200.

gavriil 11-30-2004 07:06 PM

The above article comes from Autoexpress which covers British Auto News, hence the note about the Camry discontinuation (as it did happen in England).

Minch00 11-30-2004 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by gavriil
The above article comes from Autoexpress which covers British Auto News, hence the note about the Camry discontinuation (as it did happen in England).

I was about to say.............Camry discont? :scratch:

I don't really like the styling..........but it'll sell no matter what

goldmemberer 11-30-2004 08:09 PM

Take a portapotty. Stuff a Toyota 4 cyl. engine in it. Put the Camry badging on.

You'll have 100,000 orders waiting for you by the time you finish reading this sentence.

Crazy Bimmer 11-30-2004 10:29 PM

Wow Hello New Acura Rl

Time For Sleeep 12-01-2004 02:41 AM

Something about the hood bothers me...

titan 12-01-2004 10:46 AM

I like the way the hood slopes down, and the front face. Mostly because there isn't to much out there like it right now. I guess the RL ass will get alot more popular really quickly. Wow, if this becomes the next Camry that'll be something... moving from a flacid, FWD platform that also underpins the ES330... to a tighter, RWD platform good enough to support the next gen IS. And could the 3.0 V6 used in this car be the same all new 3.0 V6 unit found in the new GS? VERY interesting if the next Camry is RWD. :bandito:

knight rider 12-01-2004 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Wow Hello New Acura Rl

ditto.

dozorca 12-01-2004 03:35 PM

Edited:

Nice ride...

CGTSX2004 12-01-2004 03:58 PM

:squint: Umm....yeah...

dallison 12-01-2004 04:25 PM

japan only model?

sipark 12-01-2004 05:04 PM

Wow, that trunk reminds me of the bimmers..
Bangle was right.. They are the pioneers in automobile design.. First Honda copies it for Legend(RL) and now Toyota!

Infamous425 12-01-2004 05:19 PM

pretty nice for a camry. especially when compared to the styling of the RL

Time For Sleeep 12-01-2004 08:47 PM

For it's projected buyers though... wouldn't FWD be a better choice for Camry's to be @?

Ken1997TL 12-01-2004 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sipark
Wow, that trunk reminds me of the bimmers..
Bangle was right.. They are the pioneers in automobile design.. First Honda copies it for Legend(RL) and now Toyota!

I don't see ANY Bangle at all in the RL. If anything, its just a blend of the 1st/2nd gen CL's and the 1st gen TL rear :dunno:

cM3go 12-05-2004 10:13 AM

thats a whole lot of ugly... back looks like a Kia Amanti... front looks hideous... it will sell

gavriil 03-18-2005 03:56 PM

http://www.editorial.carsales.com.au...pg?OpenElement

TOYOTA Australia has made clear its intention to build high-performance sports versions of its mainstream Altona-built vehicles with the supercharged Camry TS-01 unveiled this morning at the Melbourne International Motor Show.

With a new-generation Camry due within 12 months, and an all-new, sportier Avalon following late in 2006, this near-production show car is not expected to hit Australian streets in its current form.

However, it does signal that from a technical standpoint Toyota Australia now has the nous and know-how to build such a car as it draws near to establishing a performance division to rival Holden Special Vehicles, Ford Performance Vehicles and Subaru’s STi brand.

"We are clearly moving in a new direction with this product," said Toyota Australia’s chief designer, Paul Beranger. "We’re looking at developing a range of sports models for a number of market segments. And this is, as you say, a step towards that.

"The Japanese are very supportive of what we’re trying to do – they know that we’ve got a pretty unique market here where we’ve got to do a lot of things with a smaller number of products than they have in Japan, so the sports range for Australia is a big growth area for Toyota.

"From a technical point of view, we could build this car tomorrow and be very comfortable that it would work."

Mr Berangar said Toyota was now in a position to exploit the market awareness and interest in performance cars that HSV and FPV have established – but with vehicles which have "the design quality, engineering finesse and sophistication that Holden and Ford don’t offer."

"We feel that we’ve got the combination of ingredients that will attract a new customer to Toyota and certainly draw from the existing customer base that Holden and Ford have," he said.

"There are certain people who will always want to buy Holdens and Fords ... (but) we are looking to broaden our market. We’re certainly looking closely at a lot of the European product that’s coming into Australia and we believe there is potential in Australia for vehicles like this (TS-01).

"We’d also like to look at exporting vehicles like this."

Built over the past nine months with a $600,000 budget, the Camry Sportivo-based TS-01 has a Roots-style supercharger – sourced from Toyota Racing Development in the United States – added to the venerable 3.0-litre V6 engine, which with 0.5bar of boost lifts maximum output to 185kW (up 40kW) at 6000rpm and 320Nm (up 36Nm) at 4000rpm.

More than a parts-sourcing, add-on-bits exercise, the TS-01 also led to collaboration between Japanese and Australian engineers to ensure the supercharger was fully calibrated with the engine’s electronic control unit (ECU).

"This has been the first time we’ve really been able to get into the ECU, with TMC’s (Toyota Motor Corp’s) assistance, and that’s really quite a milestone as far as our engineering here in Australia is concerned," said Toyota Australia new business development manager, Robert Allen. "We’ve taken some big steps."

Mated to the same five-speed manual transmission used in Sportivo – this one using a shorter, notchier throw but the same gear ratios – and using a beefier clutch derived from the Celica GT4 race car, the TS-01 is claimed to reach 100km/h from standstill in 7.2 seconds.

The exhaust is all-new rearwards from the catalytic converter, with a pair of two-inch stainless steel pipes running through custom-built mufflers and tuned to impart a distinctive – though nothing too outrageous – note. Not bad for a platform which was never designed to take a twin exhaust.

Sitting 20mm lower than Sportivo, the front-drive TS-01 received considerable attention to deal with the blown engine and to increase driver involvement – in essence, to get as close as possible to a neutral chassis.

While the front brace bar was removed, and the steering modified with 100 per cent stiffer steering bushes and 14 per cent faster rack ratio, reinforcements were added to the rear suspension mounting points to increase rigidity.

The front spring rate was raised seven per cent, the rear spring rate 3.5 per cent and front and rear shocks retuned in accordance. High-stiffness drop links on the front and rear stabiliser bars were used to reduce roll, and rear toe angles were dropped to almost zero degrees – close to race-car spec – with design parameters all the while ensuring road comfort and compliance.

The latter is still to be verified, of course, however massive wheels and ultra-low profile rubber were eschewed for a more practical combination in 18-inch rims and 225/40 ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sports.

Set in a stunning open-spoke pattern, the wheels give onlookers a good view of the brakes, which at each front corner show a black PBR C5 two-spot calliper. Ferodo performance brake pads were used front and rear, the front disc diameter was increased from 280mm to 325mm (rear discs were not touched) and the brake booster was retuned.

Weight distribution remains around the same at an estimated 65/35 front/rear, and while neither the show car nor the test mule built alongside it has been plonked on a set of scales, kerb weight is believed to be around the current circa-1400kg Sportivo mark.

The question to ask now is: Is it any good? Mr Allen said the development car outperformed several benchmark cars including HSV and FPV cars and Subaru’s Liberty GT.

"In terms of overall refinement, it’s a more refined package and in handling and feel it’s a point-to-point car and probably just as quick," he said of its performance against the local muscle cars.

"It doesn’t have the outright cred in a drag strip sense – (but) we’re only a little bit behind in that regard.

"We took the development car and the Subaru (Liberty GT) and a couple of other vehicles up to Winton, we drove them around and came home and thought the package we’ve got here is a better-handling package … and performance is equal or better as well. Even though that’s an all-wheel drive, performance-oriented car.

"So we felt that that was our target – and we’d over-achieved."

The exterior has received a subtle workout from Toyota Australia’s in-house design team, with carbon fibre skirting around the vehicle and some fine attention to detail with modular front and rear skirts, brake cooling slots, bonnet holes, a deflector on the grille (which sends more air under the bonnet), little air splitters on the wing mirrors and flared wheel arches.

A large rear wing with a Formula One-inspired centre-mounted LED brake light and provision for an adjustable rear flap is also used.

Inside, there’s little write home about save for increased driver’s seat bolstering, tan suede trim, backlit instruments and some more use of carbon fibre trim.

"What we’ve tried to do with this car is take the family Camry and give it some character," Mr Beranger said. "One of the things that we feel is important is to be able to communicate the technology to the customer, because the package the engineering group put together is pretty impressive for a car like this.

"We haven’t rushed out and built a car that is dramatic in terms of design. We feel that we want to maintain the credibility of Camry as the product base for it … (and) it really is an integration of engineering and styling brought together in a sophisticated but very sporty package."

Source: Carsales.com.au

gavriil 03-18-2005 03:56 PM

0-100 k/h in 7.2? That's it?

CGTSX2004 03-18-2005 03:59 PM

Wow...pretty damn slow for a S/C'ed car.

And since it'll never make it stateside, :shrug:

Moog-Type-S 03-18-2005 04:19 PM

SLoooooooooooooW

Infamous425 03-18-2005 06:15 PM

it says all-new avalon in late 2006 ... uh, its already out ?

MSZ 03-18-2005 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Infamous425
it says all-new avalon in late 2006 ... uh, its already out ?

Not for Australia. That article is form Toyota Australia.

chungkopi 03-19-2005 01:01 AM

looks good for a camry.

gocubsgo55 03-19-2005 01:32 AM

^ yeah

Dan Martin 03-19-2005 09:08 AM

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/toyota-camry-ts-01-a-299224/

KavexTrax 03-20-2005 03:27 AM

"the TS-01 is claimed to reach 100km/h from standstill in 7.2 seconds. "

:chuckle: :dog: :whyme:

Looks like the Toyota accountants are back on the design team as usual. :tomato:

caball88 03-21-2005 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Wow...pretty damn slow for a S/C'ed car.

And since it'll never make it stateside, :shrug:

just wait till the rice boys get at it, can you imagine all the tricked out force fed camry's? rice boys all over will be hooking up their parent's camry.

CGTSX2004 03-21-2005 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by caball88
just wait till the rice boys get at it, can you imagine all the tricked out force fed camry's? rice boys all over will be hooking up their parent's camry.

I've been seeing this for years. Hell, my HS was full of riceboys hooking up their mommy's camrys. Fucking pathetic spoiled brats.

caball88 03-21-2005 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I've been seeing this for years. Hell, my HS was full of riceboys hooking up their mommy's camrys. Fucking pathetic spoiled brats.

yeah but now the camry's will be supercharged. hehehe

CGTSX2004 03-21-2005 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by caball88
yeah but now the camry's will be supercharged. hehehe

And still only running in family sedan territory :D

03TL-S 03-22-2005 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by KavexTrax
"the TS-01 is claimed to reach 100km/h from standstill in 7.2 seconds. "

:chuckle: :dog: :whyme:

Looks like the Toyota accountants are back on the design team as usual. :tomato:

:rolleyes: :ecstatic: :ecstatic: :gheyfight: :pimpgrin: :dog: :dog: Toyota just doesnt make fast cars.... :whyme:

gavriil 05-17-2005 10:30 AM

Toyota Will Build Hybrid Camry in Kentucky - - By Bruce Schreiner, Associated Press Writer - - Source: biz.yahoo.com

Toyota Will Build Gasoline-Electric Hybrid Version of Camry in Kentucky in Late 2006

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. on Tuesday announced plans to begin producing a gasoline-electric hybrid version of its popular Camry model in late 2006 at its largest North American plant in Georgetown, Ky.

The Japanese automaker said it will have capacity to build about 48,000 of the environmentally friendly vehicles each year. It represents Toyota's first hybrid auto production in North America.

"Once the decision was reached to make a hybrid version of our best-selling vehicle -- the Camry -- the Georgetown plant was the natural choice," said Gary Convis, president of the plant.

Toyota said it plans a $10 million investment in the Georgetown plant, but said it expects capacity and employment to stay the same. The plant 12 miles north of Lexington employs about 7,000 workers and can build up to 500,000 vehicles per year.

Hybrid production will take place on the plant's existing lines, the automaker said. No new construction is planned. The $10 million will go mainly for equipment modifications and employee training.

Toyota said specific details about the Camry hybrid will be released later.

California and Canada also made a push to land Toyota's first North American hybrid production.

Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher, who is on a trade mission to Japan, participated in Toyota's announcement by satellite.

"This is truly a great day for Kentucky," Fletcher said.

Toyota opened the Georgetown plant in 1987 and it sparked a boom in automotive suppliers in the state. Toyota President Fujio Cho ran the Georgetown plant for its first seven years.

The 7.5 million square foot plant produces the Camry, Avalon and Solara models. Toyota's North American headquarters is in Erlanger, which is in the northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati.

Hybrid cars get better mileage than regular gasoline powered cars because the hybrid switches back and forth between an electric motor and a gasoline engine.

Kentucky lawmakers passed tax legislation earlier this year allowing a manufacturer of hybrid vehicles to recover training and some equipment costs.

Besides the planned hybrid Camry, Toyota also produces the hybrid Prius and Lexus RX400h luxury hybrid sport-utility. Next month the Toyota Highlander hybrid midsize SUV goes on sale in the United States.

gavriil 05-17-2005 10:32 AM

I am guessing the I4 will be used for a total power of 200HP. Unless if they want to go performance and use one of the V6s to go for 250HP total.

Sakuragi 05-19-2005 03:45 AM

I thought camrys are already in the mid-7sec territory with it's 235 3.3L SE V6. Correct me if i am wrong.

heyitsme 05-28-2005 04:49 PM

Future Camry

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=191036

Looks impressive.