Toyota: Avalon News

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe land cruiser(50k+) or solara(which looks almost the same)

i can't think of any other toyota interior looks better than the avalon's
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
About a month ago, Street Spirit and I went to the local auto park and browsed all of the major manufacturer's showrooms. We were both disappointed by Toyota and (to a lesser extent) Lexus. Toyota has switched to some very cheap plastics in recent years and now pretty well their entire lineup has evidence of this somewhere in their interiors. Lexus was much more up-class, but the IS250's center column moved and squeaked where I rest the side of my leg. Now it might just be my size, but it definitely felt and sounded cheap.

After going to Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infinity, Subaru, Honda, and Acura, we both reached the conclusion that Honda and Acura had the best lineup of cars. They just had an overall quality feel to everything you could touch and see. Toyota and Lexus were comparable, but car-for-car, Honda and Acura were better.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
About a month ago, Street Spirit and I went to the local auto park and browsed all of the major manufacturer's showrooms. We were both disappointed by Toyota and (to a lesser extent) Lexus. Toyota has switched to some very cheap plastics in recent years and now pretty well their entire lineup has evidence of this somewhere in their interiors. Lexus was much more up-class, but the IS250's center column moved and squeaked where I rest the side of my leg. Now it might just be my size, but it definitely felt and sounded cheap.

After going to Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infinity, Subaru, Honda, and Acura, we both reached the conclusion that Honda and Acura had the best lineup of cars. They just had an overall quality feel to everything you could touch and see. Toyota and Lexus were comparable, but car-for-car, Honda and Acura were better.

I thought the materials in the 07 Camry's I sat in while in Detroit were sub-par as well. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I thought the Sonata's interior materials were far better.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phile
I think the interior is pretty uninspiring, but quality was definitely there.
The radio lid felt very flimsy to me, and the silver plastic everywhere totally turned me off. Compare that to a camry and I think there is a significant difference.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Toyota is slippin. this and the tranny issues
Old 05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSAddict
The radio lid felt very flimsy to me, and the silver plastic everywhere totally turned me off. Compare that to a camry and I think there is a significant difference.
I thought the new Camry, in leather and wood, flat out owned every other mainstream family sedan, and it has the silver plastics too. I agree about the silver plastic on the Avalon, that's why I said design-wise it's quite uninspiring. But my impression of everything else was pretty good.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I thought the new Camry, in leather and wood, flat out owned every other mainstream family sedan, and it has the silver plastics too. I agree about the silver plastic on the Avalon, that's why I said design-wise it's quite uninspiring. But my impression of everything else was pretty good.
trannies are failing left and right on the new camry. does anyone know where the avalon and camry are made? i've noticed the american built models are the most problematic regardless of brand. as a rule i only buy japanese made toyotas.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by zeroday
trannies are failing left and right on the new camry.
I only sat in them, didn't drive them
Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Am i the only one that feels all warm and fuzzy inside when you hear these things about Toyota? downfall of toyota? ::crossfingers::
Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by stangg172004
Am i the only one that feels all warm and fuzzy inside when you hear these things about Toyota? downfall of toyota? ::crossfingers::
Probably not But I wouldn't confess to it should you happen to stumble over to 1sicklex's neck of the woods.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trannies are failing left and right on the new camry. does anyone know where the avalon and camry are made? i've noticed the american built models are the most problematic regardless of brand. as a rule i only buy japanese made toyotas.
avalon, camry, and sienna are built in a factory just 20 minutes from my house - in Georgetown, KY.

I know a guy whose one of the "higher-ups" in QC at Toyota - time to poke fun at him!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just because the Car is final assembled in the US means nothing. The Tranny could very well be built in Japan sealed and shipped to the US Like Hondas are.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Toyot is taking this "Be like GM" thing a little to far
Old 05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevens24
Toyot is taking this "Be like GM" thing a little to far
Zing!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevens24
just because the Car is final assembled in the US means nothing. The Tranny could very well be built in Japan sealed and shipped to the US Like Hondas are.
sure it does, the american auto worker is lazy and has no attention to detail. every american built car i've owned (a bunch) has been a poorly assembled piece of shit.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

sure it does, the american auto worker is lazy and has no attention to detail. every american built car i've owned (a bunch) has been a poorly assembled piece of shit.
Is that scientific evidence? What explains the TSX, built in Japan, having rattles out the ass year 1.

2nd, how many US autoworkers have you actually met/talked to/seen working at their factories to announce such a claim? You are as american as they are, are you a lazy fuck?

I've only owned american build vehicles and they all been solid.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Recall

TOKYO — Toyota is recalling 412,000 passenger cars, mostly the Avalon model, in the U.S., and another 16,420 vehicles in Japan for steering problems, the automaker said Thursday.

The 373,000 Avalons being recalled in the U.S. range from the 2000 model year through to 2004 and have improper casting of the steering lock bar — a component for the steering system — causing cracks to develop on the surface.

In some cases, the crack can cause the lock bar to break, potentially leading to a crash if the steering wheel locks, the world's No. 1 automaker by car sales said. No injuries have been reported from the accidents that may be caused by the defect, it said.

Recalled in Japan for a similar problem are 6,750 vehicles, called Pronard, built from February 2000 through January 2004, Toyota and the Japanese transport ministry said. There have been three reported problems linked to the defect but no accidents in Japan, the ministry said.

Also being recalled in the U.S. are 39,000 Lexus luxury model LX 470s for the 2003-2007 model years because of a steering shaft problem, which is different from the Avalon steering problem, according to Toyota.

That problem affects 9,670 vehicles in Japan, two Land Cruiser models, the ministry said. One problem has been reported but no accidents are suspected of being linked to the defect, it said.

The latest recall comes on top of some 8.5 million vehicles that have been recalled around the world by Toyota (TM) since October for a spate of problems, including faulty floor mats, defective gas pedals and braking software glitches.

The recall crisis has damaged Toyota's reputation for quality and customer service.

Toyota executives have repeatedly vowed to put customers first. But it has been criticized as lagging in its response to quality lapses, and was slapped with a record $16.4 million fine in the United States for responding too slowly when the recall crisis erupted.

Earlier this month, Toyota announced a recall of some 270,000 vehicles, mostly Lexus cars, for engine problems, dealing a further blow to its image because Lexus is its top-end luxury brand.

Toyota faces more than 200 lawsuits in the U.S. tied to accidents involving defective automobiles, the lower resale value of Toyota vehicles and a drop in its stock value.

"Toyota is continuing to work diligently to address safety issues wherever they arise and to strengthen our global quality assurance operations so that Toyota owners can be confident in the safety of their vehicles," said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America.

Owners of Avalon and Lexus cars are being notified next month, being asked to bring in their cars to nearby Toyota and Lexus dealers for a free fix, according to Toyota.

"Our engineers have thoroughly investigated this issue and have identified a robust and durable remedy that will help prevent this condition from affecting drivers in the future," said Mark Templin, group vice president and general manager of Lexus.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Corn-Fed Mule

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I don't know whether to praise Toyota for being honest about their cars' problems or kick them in the ass for dumping defective shit on us...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jim165
Man, I don't know whether to praise Toyota for being honest about their cars' problems or kick them in the ass for dumping defective shit on us...
It is such a shame to see a company like Toyota, learn absolutely nothing from all the years of problems that GM, Ford, and Chrysler had and now they are making those same mistakes. Just a sin and disgrace.

Just hope all the other automakers have learned from this Toyota fiasco.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
doubt it, they'll still weigh out whether settling out of court for wrongful death suits is cheaper then an actual recall. that is for ALL automakers.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Spied

We got our 1st glimpse at what the 2014 Toyota Avalon may look like thanks to a an artists rendering that appears to take some creative license. The teaser really only shows us that Toyota wasn't kidding when it said it was taking the Avalon upscale, with a dramatic, sloping roof line that conjures thoughts of the Audi A7.

The Avalon is only days from its world premiere on the big stage at the 2012 New York Auto Show, but we have some spy shots that tell us even more. The photos show us what we already knew; that the artist rendering isn't exactly representative of reality. But the pics also show that the sleek roof line and vastly reworked proportions are very real.

The Avalon prototype has enough protective cladding to give the Storm Chasers tank a run for its money, but we do see what looks like a very different front fascia, LED taillights and a pair of impressive chrome-tipped exhaust outlets. From the rear, we get a better sense of how the sedan will look, and it appears there may be some tape covering up the lines that would tell us if these prototypes are in fact hatchbacks.

Spy photos were also taken of the reworked interior, but the insides were also covered up beyond recognition. We are able to see an attractive leather steering wheel and completely reworked redundant controls. We can also see expensive-looking french stitching above the gauge cluster, as well as upscale gauges themselves.

Click on the gallery above to view the high-resolution spy photos of 2 different prototypes. Stay tuned to Autoblog for the official reveal pics of the 2014 Toyota Avalon.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Front lower grill looks take off from the Sonata Hybrid.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Seriously sloped rear window.

Coupe-ish design.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

2013 Avalon

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Toyota has unveiled an all-new version of its flagship Avalon sedan at the 2012 New York auto show. Toyota promises the 2013 Avalon — which will arrive in showrooms by year’s end — will deliver improved driving dynamics and a greater degree of refinement.

Ditching the plain vanilla look of the last-generation Avalon, the 2013 version of the premium four-door features a much more aggressive front end, highlighted by a large lower grille. The Avalon also gains “square Double-eye” headlights for the 2013 model year.

Although the new Avalon is just a bit narrower than its predecessor, flared fenders and 18-inch wheels (17s are standard) give the car a wide stance. The 2013 Avalon is also shorter than the current car, but a sloping roofline makes the car seem longer than it actually is.

Out back the 2013 Avalon gains LED taillights and integrated dual exhaust outlets.

The 2013 Avalon returns with a near-luxury interior, albeit with a greater focus on interior space. Toyota says it lowered the Avalon’s front seats by 0.4 inches, allowing for improved headroom. Toyota even went as far as to redesign the car’s structural components of the sunroof and the headliner to increase cabin space.

And, despite a reduction in overall length, the 2013 Avalon boasts a more spacious trunk than before. Through the clever use of space, the 2013 Avalon now offers 16 cubic feet of trunk space, up 1.6 cubic feet from the previous model.

Improved dynamics
Though still more of a boulevard cruiser than sports sedan, Toyota says it has improved the Avalon’s road manners for the 2013 model year. The 2013 Avalon is stiffer than before, thanks to strategically placed welds, improved body bracing, and the use of high-strength steel. MacPherson struts make the most of the Avalon’s strengthened chassis, while advanced valving and rebound springs make sure that comfort is balanced with a sporting ride. Body roll is kept in check with stiffer front and rear sway bars.

For those wanting an extra dose of performance, the 2013 Avalon comes equipped with a new ‘Sport’ setting. The Avalon’s Sport mode improves throttle response and alters the car’s electronic power steering to deliver a more weighted feel.

If performance isn’t your thing, an ‘Eco’ setting is also included, which changes throttle response and A/C power usage to maximize economy.

Toyota has yet to release pricing for the 2013 Avalon, but look for the revised sedan to arrive in showrooms by the end of the year.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-avalon-2013.html
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Front reminds me of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid or the Chrysler Sebring before its redesign to become the 200.

And as much as Toyota wants to expand their appeal to a younger demographic, this is the wrong car to try it with.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Hyundai in the front, Jaguar in the back, Camry in the middle.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Best looking Avalon to date.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Best looking Avalon to date.
+1

Looks like a larger Camry which I also think looks good.

Toyota Press Release

The Sensational New 2013 Toyota Avalon Makes World Debut at the 2012 New York International Auto Show

• New model offers captivating styling, a spacious, luxurious interior experience, and premium technology
• Regionally-focused design, engineering, and manufacturing effort

NEW YORK, (April 5, 2012) – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. revealed the all-new 2013 Avalon premium mid-size sedan today at the 2012 New York International Auto Show. The new Avalon is re-conceived for the premium mid-size sedan segment with a progressive and emotionally styled exterior design.

When it arrives to dealerships late this year, the new Avalon will offer improved dynamic performance, a greater degree of refinement, and a highly spacious, comfortable interior experience with an abundance of outstanding convenience technologies.

The new 2013 Avalon is the result of a North American-focused design and engineering effort. The new sedan's dramatic exterior and interior design was conceived by a youthful and talented team at the Calty Design Research Inc. facilities in Southern California and Michigan. The car's engineering development was principally led by a passionate and dedicated group based at Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. Continuing a North American focused theme, the 2013 Avalon will be assembled at Toyota's facility in Georgetown, Ky. True to the future product mission set forth by Toyota Motor Corporation President, Akio Toyoda, the new Avalon's more stylish, bold, sporty exterior design and luxurious interior styling are matched by an enhanced dynamic package, a combination that foreshadows the more compelling and passionate nature of future Toyota products.

Enhanced Avalon Dynamics
In addition to its stunning design, numerous structural and chassis improvements were made to the new Avalon to enhance the ride quality, straight-line stability and handling. The body structure gains improvements in torsional rigidity thanks to additional and strategically placed welds, improved body bracing, and high-strength steel in key areas in order to provide a stiffer chassis and optimize suspension performance. The new Avalon suspension relies on MacPherson struts with advanced valving and rebound springs to balance handling and agility with ride comfort. Coil spring rate and front and rear sway bar stiffness was increased from the current model to help improve body control and body roll. The Avalon's electric power steering (EPS) system has been tuned to help deliver enhanced controllability and vehicle agility while also realizing superior linear stability.

The new Avalon offers three distinct drive modes that help tailor dynamic performance to the driver's needs. The drive modes - Normal, Eco, and Sport -are made available through driver-selectable switches. In Sport mode, throttle response is enhanced and steering effort is weighted from center to offer a sportier character. Eco changes throttle response and A/C power usage to help improve fuel economy. Steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters help provide a sportier drive while in the D or S Mode, where the revised throttle helps improve shift response to help maximize engine power and vehicle performance.

Dynamic Exterior Styling
The new Avalon's dynamic exterior styling defines a sleek and expressive profile that helps communicate a sense of motion for the vehicle even when it is at rest. The beltline has been lowered to accentuate a strong stance. Compared to its predecessor, the new Avalon is a bit more compact yet displays better proportions with a longer, sloping roofline, flared front fenders, and reduced front and rear overhangs, lower vehicle height, and reduced body-to-tire gap. New 17-inch and 18-inch alloy wheel and tire combinations fill the wheel well to enhance the vehicle's dynamic exterior expression.

Key exterior design elements include the square Double-eye PES (Projector Ellipsoid System) headlamps with HID (High-Intensity Discharge)and elegant DRL (Daytime Running Lights) feature available that provide excellent night time visibility while helping define a narrower, more taut and muscular exterior expression. A wider, more assertive grille design provides a bolder front perspective. At the rear, high-performance LED combination tail lamps are adopted which are more integrated with the revised rear-body styling. The dual rear tailpipe outlets further the more cohesive design theme.

Modern Interior Experience
Design elements enhancing comfort, convenience and technology help create the luxurious experience that will prove tempting to buyers of the next Avalon. The 2013 Avalon offers a modern, spacious, premium interior highlighted by abundant rear seat legroom, while featuring a myriad of available features. Beyond mere dimensions, the new Avalon's interior design enhances the cabin's sense of spaciousness and comfort. The front seat's hip point has been lowered by 10 millimeters (0.4 inches) to help create improved headroom. The new power front seat design with increased side bolstering is more supportive and offers an expanded range of downward adjustment. In addition, the structural components of the sunroof and the headliner design have been optimized to help increase the cabin's roominess. A concave dash panel design, located in front of the passenger, helps create an expansive feeling. While the rear overhang has been reduced by 1.7 inches, the luggage compartment capacity is 16.0 cubic feet, an increase of 1.6 cubic feet as compared to the outgoing model.

The Avalon's premium interior attains a high level of refinement by reducing wind, engine and road noise inside the cabin. The resultant interior is even significantly quieter and more comfortable than the current Avalon and it creates an ideal environment to enjoy conversation, music or Toyota's available multimedia system, Entune™. Sound absorbing materials have been strategically placed around the cabin and body structure while not inhibiting a reduction in overall vehicle weight. The windshield and front side-glass panels utilize acoustic glass that helps control sound intrusion into the cabin. Reductions in wind noise have been realized by optimizing exterior shape, specifically cowl and louver sealing, outer mirror shape and position, and wiper-blade position, which have all been developed to dramatically reduce wind noise generation. Exterior gaps and steps have also been minimized to reduce wind noise around the door glass areas.

The new Avalon's interior utilizes premium materials and a high degree of craftsmanship to offer an upscale experience. Rich, supple leather trims the steering wheel, shift knob, and seat upholstery helping add visual and tactile appeal. Hand-crafted, decorative stitching is adopted for the steering wheel, and soft-touch materials on the dash panel and door trim elevate the vehicle's sense of tactile luxury. Smoked chrome-metallic accents are applied to the instrument panel, center console, door panel, and steering wheel surfaces to help add distinction and exceptional feel. Available push-button controlled soft white ambient lighting illuminates key regions of the interior to help convey the sense of luxury. The new Avalon's center console includes a convenient console tray that is ideal for the storage of electronic hand held devices. The new Avalon's console area is equipped with a USB port, AUX input terminal and three 12-volt power outlets to help facilitate device interface and charging.

The new Avalon will offer innovative technologies such as advanced capacitive touch switches with positioning and sensitivity that makes them ideal for vehicle system controls. Other premium in-car technologies include three color display screens that support the multi-information display, the audio/navigation interface, and the climate control panel. An easy to use Display Audio system with 6.1 inch touchscreen is standard on the new Avalon; while a JBL Synthesis Premium Audio system, HDD Premium Navigation with 7" screen, dynamic radar cruise control, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, and a three-zone air conditioning system are also on the list of available features and equipment.

Safety
Like all Toyota models, the new Avalon will feature Toyota's Star Safety System™ standard, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist, and Smart Stop Technology brake-override system.

The new Avalon helps to prioritize occupant safety with a best-in-class10 airbags system. A Pre-collision system is also available that is designed to "sense" an impending frontal collision and can help mitigate damage. A variable ratio brake pedal is adopted that varies the initial and final pedal effort ratios to help realize excellent brake pedal feel.

In addition to a rearview monitor, Avalon offers an available Blind Spot Monitoring system which is designed to help detect vehicles behind the outer mirrors and to help alert drivers in addition to a new Rear Cross Traffic Alert system (RCTA) that can alert drivers of cross traffic when they are backing up.

Key Dimensional Comparison

2013 Avalon 2012 Avalon
Overall Length 195.3 in. (4960 mm) 197.6 in. (5020 mm)
Overall Width 72.2 in. (1835 mm) 72.8 in. (1850 mm)
Overall Height 57.5 in. (1460 mm) 58.5 in. (1485 mm)
Wheelbase 111 in. (2820 mm) 111 in. (2820 mm)
Front Tread 62.6 in. (1590 mm) 62.2 in. (1580 mm)
Rear Tread 62.2 in. (1580 mm) 61.6 in. (1565 mm)
Front Overhang 38.8 in. (985 mm) 39.4 in. (1000 mm)
Rear Overhang 45.5 in. (1155 mm) 47.2 in. (1200 mm)
Curb Weight 3,497 lbs. (estimated) 3,616 lbs. (Avalon model)

Last edited by AZuser; 04-05-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
It's better looking than the last one. They should cover the cup holders. Not sure I like that "double top" to the dash over the center stack.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
looks great except for the front end, a bit iffy. the headlights are cool but the camry grill looks a bit cheap on the avalon and the bumper opening looks out of place.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
the bumper opening looks out of place.
I'll have to agree with that. The lower opening looks awkward. Would be more at home on an Aston Martin.

The "square Double-eye PES (Projector Ellipsoid System) headlamps with HID (High-Intensity Discharge)" look cool though.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Looks great, I actually liked the vanilla previous/current gen refreshed Avalon. For the target demographic I thought it was a good looking car.

My only two complaints about this Avalon echo what others have mentioned... first being the cupholders will probably suck, and they look funny exposed, and if the grille opening had one less slat and was accordingly smaller, it would be perfect. Or just smaller period.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks better than the current one, but this thing is not that much cheaper than a ES350. I'd rather pay a little more and have all the bells and whistle's of a Lexus.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Not bad..

More photos: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/04...an-breaks.html

Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i like overall changes of exterior (front, i will have to get used to)
interiors could look better but i guess it's better than last one
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Es350 >>>
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
That front is...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire