Toyota: 4Runner News

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:16 AM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
^ Well that guess was wrong. Still soldiering on into MY23

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/20...h_anniversary/

Forty candles. The "big four-0." The Toyota 4Runner will reach the 40-year mark with the 2023 model year... and, to celebrate, Toyota is offering a distinctive 4WD-only 2023 4Runner 40th Anniversary Special Edition. Appropriately, Toyota will make 4,040 of these special editions available for the U.S. market. Over the past four decades, 4Runner has amassed more than 4 million cumulative sales while carving out its place as the ready-for-anything SUV that's equally at home on pavement or trail.

The 2023 Toyota 4Runner 40th Anniversary Special Edition is based on the SR5 Premium grade and will be available in three colors: White, Midnight Black Metallic and Barcelona Red Metallic. It will stand out from the lineup thanks to bronze-colored 17-inch alloy wheels, a body-color-matching TOYOTA heritage grille and a bronze-colored 40th Anniversary exterior tailgate badge.

The biggest eye-catcher, though, is likely to be the heritage graphics package created especially for this anniversary model. The first 4Runner was built on the Toyota pickup platform, which itself founded the heritage of Toyota's illustrious success in off-road racing. As an homage to those early racers, the 4Runner 40th Anniversary Edition will be wearing some very cool, retro-inspired yellow/orange/red body graphics.

The anniversary theme continues inside, where the 4Runner 40th Anniversary Special Edition gets exclusive badging on the center console and features a bronze-colored cross-stitch shift knob, bronze-colored seat stitching, 40th Anniversary floormats and a 40th Anniversary logo on the Black SofTex-trimmed seats. Topping it off is a standard power moonroof.

Fun facts: When the first 4Runner arrived, "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" was the top-grossing movie in America, and "Every Breath You Take" by the Police had ended the year at #1 on the Billboard 100. (Yep, that was then "Jedi" was the third Star Wars movie, not "Episode Six.")

A 4Runner for All Seasons and Reasons

The TRD Off-Road and TRD Off-Road Premium grades are distinguished by color-keyed bumpers and overfenders, hood scoop and silver-colored painted front and rear bumper accents. "TRD Off-Road" badges adorn the C-pillars. The Limited is the only 4Runner with a chrome-plated grille insert and chrome-finished exterior trim. All 4Runner models have LED fog lights as standard equipment, with the TRD Pro featuring Rigid Industries LED fog lights.

The Ready-for-Adventure SUV

The 4Runner's inherent strength starts with its tough-as-nails, body-on-frame construction featuring a four-link rear axle and coil-spring suspension. The robust chassis is also the foundation of 4Runner's comfortable ride quality.

A 270-horsepower DOHC 4.0-liter V6 engine with 278 lb.-ft. of peak torque gives 4Runner plenty of get-up-and-go. The engine's Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) helps optimize torque across the engine's operating range, enhancing responsiveness in a variety of driving conditions.

The 2WD 4Runners provide an ample 9.0 inches of ground clearance, while 4WD models offer an even more generous 9.6 inches. All 4Runner 2WD models feature standard Automatic Limited Slip Differential (Auto LSD), a function of the traction control (TRAC) that allows some wheel slippage to help the vehicle dig out from sand or snow, for example.

4×2 and Two Kinds of 4×4

The available part-time 4WD system uses Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and bolsters off-road capability with a two-speed transfer case with selectable low-range. By distributing drive force to any one wheel in contact with the ground, A-TRAC can help maintain traction when it senses wheel slippage occurring on terrain irregularities and slippery patches.

Maximum Traction Tech

As trail conditions change, the driver can adapt the vehicle using the standard Multi-Terrain Select system using a dial (located overhead along with CRAWL settings) to choose a mode that matches prevailing surface conditions. The system will then adjust wheel slip control accordingly.

Both 4Runner TRD Off-Road and TRD Pro feature the Multi-Terrain Monitor on the list of off-road tech features. Using strategically placed cameras, the system lets the driver check surroundings on the trail, with the ability to spot potential obstacles not easily seen from the cabin. The TRD (and Limited) models also add a premium Multi-information Display.

Road-Hugging TRD Sport

The 4Runner TRD Sport grade, which first joined the line for 2022, focuses less on the trail and more on road-focused features while adding style and flair. For an emphasis on everyday comfort and road dynamics, the 4Runner TRD Sport employs the Cross-Linked Relative Absorber System (X-REAS) suspension to enhance on-road handling. The X-REAS system adjusts the damping force of shock absorbers when driving over bumpy surfaces or when cornering. A center control absorber cross-links the shock absorbers on opposite corners of the vehicle, like an "X," to help reduce pitch and yaw by offsetting opposing inputs.

The 4Runner TRD Sport is available with either 2WD or part-time 4WD with a 2-speed transfer case. Based on the SR5 grade, the 4Runner TRD Sport swaps the SR5's 17-inch wheels for machine-faced 20-inch wheels with Dark Gray accents. Notably, all 4Runners come equipped with a full-sized spare tire, regardless of wheel size.

The TRD Sport gets its own look with color-keyed accents on the grille, rocker panels and body molding, plus the signature TRD-style hood scoop and a front spoiler and black roof rails. Inside, TRD Sport replaces the SR5 grade's cloth seat surfaces with power-adjustable black SofTex-trimmed seats. The seats feature unique gray-colored contrast stitching, and the front headrests have gray-colored TRD stitched logos. TRD Sport floor mats are included, and a standard TRD shift knob completes the cabin makeover.

TRD Pro Earns Its Name

The TRD Pro badge on any Toyota truck or SUV signifies the most off-road-capable vehicle in its respective Toyota lineup. The 2023 4Runner TRD Pro is also a bold looker, offering Solar Octane, White, Magnetic Gray Metallic and Black color options. Leading the way for off-road upgrades are some of the features not as easily seen, because tucked away at each corner are specially tuned Fox internal bypass shocks and TRD-tuned coil springs yield an inch of front lift for improved trail-tackling capability. The rear Fox shocks feature piggyback-style remote reservoirs to maintain damping performance over demanding off-road terrain. Delivering the best of both worlds, the shock tuning improves trail driving isolation and high-speed performance without compromising on-road comfort and steering response.

Like other Toyota TRD Pro vehicles, the 4Runner TRD Pro features a 1/4-inch-thick aluminum front skid plate with red TRD lettering. The TRD roof rack is exclusive to 4Runner. Black TRD alloy flow-form wheels come standard on TRD Pro and are fitted with Nitto Terra Grappler tires.

A standard TRD-branded cat-back exhaust gives this trail star a powerful-sounding growl for the V6 engine. Inside, the TRD Pro features upgraded HVAC controls like those found in the Limited grade, plus a standard moonroof and Premium Audio with JBL speakers and Clari-Fi™ technology for enhancing digital music formats.

For 2023, TRD Pro will offered in the exclusive exterior color of Solar Octane, which is available alongside staples Black, White and Magnetic Gray Metallic.

On and Off-Road Suspension

The 4Runner Limited, while certainly off-road capable, emphasizes everyday comfort and pavement handling with the X-REAS suspension system also shared with the TRD Sport.

Adventure Expert With Emphasis on Safety

For the 2023 model year, Blind Spot Monitor + Rear Cross Traffic Alert is standard on all grades. All models have standard LED high beams, in addition to the LED low beams and fog lights on most grades.

Space for People and Gear

The 4Runner SR5 and Limited grades offer available third-row seating, with a split 50:50 seat that folds flat. When so equipped, the 40:20:40 second-row seat has a one-touch walk-in function to provide easy access to the third row. The seats can be folded from the side or at the rear, using separate one-touch levers. The second-row seats, which include a center armrest, individually recline up to 16 degrees in four steps.

Toyota Value from Bumper to Bumper

The 4Runner Limited delivers a luxury experience with leather-trimmed, heated and ventilated 8-way power adjustable driver's seat (with memory) and 4-way power adjustable front passenger seat, along with dual-zone automatic climate control. Limited grade's standard front and rear clearance sonar system helps make parking maneuvers easier and safer. The Limited's Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) provides a 360-degree bird's-eye view to help the driver see objects around the 4vehicle.

The Premium Audio system in the 4Runner Limited and TRD Pro adds 15 JBL speakers including a subwoofer and amplifier, Dynamic Navigation with 3-year trial, Dynamic POI Search, Dynamic Voice Recognition, Destination Assist with 1-year trial, Remote Connect with 1-year trial and Wi-Fi Connect with up to 2 GB within 3-month trial.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:16 AM

I like the bronze, but could do without the stripes.
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,881 Posts
The ADMs are going to be out of this world for what’s essentially a base SR5 with a graphics kit and bronze wheels.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 AM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,988 Posts
As much as I would love to get 4Runner, with a new model supposedly on the way, I think I’d rather wait.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:22 AM

Crazy that this gen has been going for 12 [soon to be 13] model years
Mizouse (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:09 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,446 Posts
These things still only 5 gears?
Mizouse (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:23 PM

Old 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM

Forbes dropped the ball early.

cached page with information. I didn’t see pricing listed.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-2025-4runner/
Old 04-09-2024, 12:51 PM

I'll go first, do not like....
Old 04-09-2024, 01:46 PM

Seems more like an update to the 5th gen to me

I don’t mind it. :meh:

edit: looks like the google cached version is gone.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:35 PM

Maybe a less aftermarket-looking version will be more appealing. This looks like something on the TRD-Pro end of the spectrum, with the snorkel & wheels.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

I like it except for the overdone black plastic fenders. It's already a burly tough looking car; the fenders just look a bit ridiculous. I think it would look much better if it was body colored (maybe they are in another trim)
Old 04-09-2024, 02:39 PM

^ Limited & TRD Sport probably
SR5 & anything off-road/TRD Pro I'd expect cladding [non-body color]
Old 04-09-2024, 07:33 PM

Was able to save some additional pics from this AM.

is300eater (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

OK I take it back; the black fenders look better than body colored.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Hmmm I don't know how to feel. I was not really a fan of the previous generation and this one just looks like they took the previous generation and gave it an extra goofy facelift. It almost looks cartoonish. The interior on the other hand is a major upgrade.

I am not a "V6/V8 for life" type of guy (I've obviously owned turbo 4s in the past and loved them) but I just don't think this was the appropriate application of a turbo 4. I do however really like the power figures, especially in the I4-MAX version and it's about damn time they went from a 5 AT (IN 2024 HOW THE HELL WAS THIS STILL A THING??) to an 8 AT.

I will need to see it in person to form a real opinion.

Last edited by RDX10; 04-10-2024 at 02:39 AM.
Comfy (04-11-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDX10
Hmmm I don't know how to feel. I was not really a fan of the previous generation and this one just looks like they took the previous generation and gave it an extra goofy facelift. It almost looks cartoonish. The interior on the other hand is a major upgrade.

I am not a "V6/V8 for life" type of guy (I've obviously owned turbo 4s in the past and loved them) but I just don't think this was the appropriate application of a turbo 4. I do however really like the power figures, especially in the I4-MAX version and it's about damn time they went from a 5 AT (IN 2024 HOW THE HELL WAS THIS STILL A THING??) to an 8 AT.

I will need to see it in person to form a real opinion.
I wasn’t a turbo-4 guy for heavy SUVs either until I drove the Wrangler 2.0Ts and got my Bronco. I realized it was far better than the 3.6 Pentastar, to say nothing of the ancient 4.0L mill the 4Runner had, and off-road it worked superbly in 4Lo. Based on how quick the Wrangler 4XE is (for what it is) with all that torque, I’ve got high hopes the hybrid 4Runner will be similar.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:22 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
^ This. I had a JLU with a 2.0T as a rental back in Feb and it was fantastic. WAY better than the older 3.6L V6.

None of these trucks need a ton of horsepower to go fast, what they need is torque down low and the turbo 4's give exactly that.
00TL-P3.2 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:46 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2025-4runner/

The instant name recognition that 4Runner has built over the past four decades is undeniable. This legend has long established itself as a North American off-road icon, ready to tackle tough terrain in its way. The all-new 2025 Toyota 4Runner stays true to its original concept, as an extremely capable, dynamic, and durable off-roader and will continue to provide owners a window to bigger worlds. The new generation introduces a bold new look and adds new technology, premium materials, options, and safety. In fact, this all-new sixth generation 4Runner raises the bar in terms of go-anywhere capability and high-end refinement. The 2025 4Runner will be built in Toyota Motor Corporation's Tahara plant in Japan and will arrive in the U.S. in the fall of 2024.

"This all-new 4Runner has incredible versatility and capability that nicely rounds out our truck family story," said Dave Christ, Toyota group vice president and general manager. "We've sold over 3 million in the 40 years it has been on sale, and this sixth-generation model offers a cool new look and incredible features, yet retains the rugged style and capability our customers love about this icon of adventure."

Solid Foundation

4Runner is all-new from the ground up and is built on Toyota's tough TNGA-F global truck platform that is shared with Tacoma, Land Cruiser, Tundra and Sequoia. This platform utilizes a high-strength boxed, steel-ladder frame and features a multi-link coil rear and double wishbone front suspension.

The adoption of the innovative TNGA-F platform not only adds strength, but it also improves the vehicle's ride comfort and on-road manners. Passengers feel the benefits of this new platform, even when riding in the available third-row. The enhanced frame, paired with the powerful i-FORCE MAX powertrain, allows 4Runner to tow up to 6,000 pounds.

Evolving the Legacy

"Designing the legendary 4Runner began with identifying its unique and memorable aspects linked to fun, outdoor recreation," says Calty President, Kevin Hunter. "Inspired by Baja desert racing, the high lift, lean body, big tire, rugged athleticism defines the core of 4Runner's go anywhere purpose".

The Michigan-based CALTY design team spearheaded the design of this all-new 4Runner. Designers pulled inspiration from the past while also focusing on the future. The all-new Toyota 4Runner was designed alongside the Tacoma and shares a family resemblance but is unique in its own way. Both share inspiration from the desert racing scene and have a rugged-with-a-purpose appearance. In a nod to the first and second generations of 4Runners, designers were able to bring back the legacy "wrap over" quarter glass, and the popular roll-down rear window remains etched into the vehicle's DNA. The design team meticulously labored to achieve the ideal interior design. They sought to achieve a vehicle with ease of operation and a functional interface that strikes a pure balance of modern sophistication and capable authenticity. For example, second-row tumble seats help increase 4Runners interior versatility and maximizes cargo floor usage.

i-FORCE Power MAXed

This next chapter of Toyota 4Runner offers two powerful and efficient turbocharged 2.4 liter four-cylinder powertrains including the i-FORCE engine with 278 horsepower and 317 lb.-ft. of torque that is paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission. SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road and Limited grades will come standard with the i-FORCE powertrain.

4Runner's i-FORCE MAX hybrid powertrain is available on TRD Off-Road and Limited, while standard on the TRD Pro, Trailhunter and Platinum models. This powertrain pairs the turbocharged 2.4-liter engine with a 48-hp electric motor integrated into the eight-speed transmission, feeding off a 1.87-kWh NiMH battery pack that creates a total system output of up to 326 horsepower and 465 lb.-ft. of torque, the most powerful powertrain ever offered on 4Runner.

Trail Ready

Toyota 4Runner is synonymous with rugged capability. In its latest form, 4Runner continues to add increased capability to an already incredible legacy. The newly available Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Mechanism increases suspension articulation at the push of a button. This feature allows the vehicle to flex while helping keep tires in contact with the trail. 4Runner raises the bar in another area with up to 32-degree approach and 24-degree departure angles. The available Multi-Terrain Monitor system aids the driver allowing them to see potential hazards on the center display.

4Runner will be offered in 2WD, part-time 4WD or Full-time 4WD. 2WD models will feature an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD), and four-wheel-drive models have an electronically controlled two-speed transfer case with high/low range along with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and an automatic limited-slip differential (Auto LSD). An electronic locking rear differential is standard on TRD Off-Road, TRD Pro and Trailhunter grades. The Limited is offered with an available a full-time four-wheel-drive system with a center locking differential on i-FORCE MAX models, while this setup is standard on Platinum grades.

The Multi-Terrain Select system now functions in both 4WD-High and 4WD-Low. This offers adjustable settings to help control wheel spin on a variety of terrain such as Mud, Dirt, and Sand. 4Runner also adopts the new, quieter CRAWL Control function that acts as a low-speed, off-road cruise control that allows the driver to focus on steering. When traction is extremely limited, the available electronically activated locking rear differential can help split power 50/50 to the rear wheels. Downhill Assist Control is another off-road feature available and helps the driver navigate descents by limiting the speed of the vehicle.

A Grade for Everyone

Toyota 4Runner expands its grade offering to provide customers with more choices than ever before. Nine grades are available including SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Sport Premium, TRD Off Road, TRD Off Road Premium, Limited, Platinum, TRD Pro, and Trailhunter.

The Trailhunter grade has been added to the line up to allow owners to go further. 4Runner's capability and durability have made it a fan favorite of overlanders, and now adventure seekers have a turnkey solution with a manufacturer-developed overland rig straight from the factory. Toyota collaborated with a number of off-road component companies to make the fit and finish that much better. For example, the Trailhunter will feature ARB's Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5-inch forged shocks with rear external piggyback remote reservoirs, along with a uniquely co-designed ARB Roof Rack. The OME shocks along with the 33-inch Toyo Open Country A/T tires boost up Trailhunter an additional two inches in the front and one and a half inches in the rear. A standard low-profile high-mount air intake sources cleaner air for the standard i-FORCE MAX powertrain. Trailhunter adds protection that includes rock rails and high strength steel skid plates for serious off-the-grid-adventure capabilities. The Trailhunter is also equipped with a heritage grill with bronze "TOYOTA" lettering and an integrated 20-inch LED light bar that is complemented by color selectable RIGID LED fog lamps. A seriously powerful 2400W AC inverter provides juice to two locations in the cabin and the rear cargo area. Trailhunter is ready for customization with other Toyota accessory offerings using three easy to reach auxiliary switches that are pre-wired throughout the vehicle.

The 2025 4Runner introduces its first-ever Platinum grade which offers customers a high-end, luxury experience with all the capability you expect in a 4Runner. Platinum slots above the Limited grade by adding unique black exterior styling elements, heated second-row seats, a standard tow tech package, Head-Up Display and automatic rain sensing wipers.

Latest Tech

4Runner receives Toyota's latest technology with new screens. A new 8-inch or available 14-inch multimedia touchscreen displays Toyota's latest Audio Multimedia system, which is designed and engineered by Toyota's Texas-based Connected Technologies team. The system supports wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility, and pairs well with the available Qi wireless charging pad with enhanced power output. A USB-C data and charging port is integrated on the right side of the multimedia touchscreen, and dual USB-C charging ports are included in the front row and available for the rear passengers. A 7-inch gauge cluster is standard on lower grades and a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster is standard on higher grades.

Smart Key System with push-button start is standard on all grades. With an active Remote Connect trial or subscription, an available Digital Key on select grades connects with compatible smartphones to allow vehicle entry, and vehicle starting (4G network dependent). The Digital Key can also be remotely shared with others to give more control over vehicle access rather than giving someone the physical key.

Rugged Choice

The all-new youthful and dynamic 4Runner nicely rounds out Toyota's rugged lineup of tough body-on-frame vehicles. From the full-size Tundra to the iconic off-road legend Land Cruiser, customers now have five fresh trucks to choose from. These vehicles give customers more choice when it comes to finding a vehicle that can keep up with their dynamic lifestyles. They are designed to handle almost anything the elements throw their way, and their incredible capability gives owners the tools they need to get out and discover all the hidden wonders the world has to offer.

Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 Standard

All 2025 4Runner models come standard with Toyota Safety Sense 3.0, Toyota's suite of active safety and convenience systems. This suite of features includes:
  • Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
  • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
  • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
  • Lane Tracing Assist
  • Road Sign Assist
  • Automatic High Beams
  • Proactive Driving Assist
Proactive Driving Assist is now a part of Toyota Safety Sense. Proactive Driving Assist (PDA) uses the vehicle's camera and radar, when system operating conditions are met, to provide gentle braking and/or steering to support driving tasks such as distance control between your vehicle and a preceding vehicle, pedestrian, or bicyclist. PDA can also provide gentle braking into curves. Proactive Driving Assist is not a substitute for the Pre-Collision System and operates in different circumstances.

Including the addition of Proactive Driving Assist, the Toyota Safety Sense features have been enhanced for TSS 3.0:
  • The Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection has enhanced detection capabilities thanks to new system sensors. It receives enhanced intersection support with improved detection capability in certain circumstances. In addition to pedestrian and bicyclist detection, this system now includes the capability to detect a motorcyclist.
  • Lane Departure Alert will now provide Steering Assist as well as enhanced lane recognition that includes detection of certain 3D objects, like guardrails, that may be used to help define the lane.
  • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control will have Full-Speed Range capability and adds a fourth following distance setting, from the previously available three. Enhanced vehicle detection allows for the ability to detect more than one preceding vehicle, as well as vehicles in adjacent lanes. This helps the system to provide smoother, more natural speed adjustments, especially when the driver changes lanes.
  • Lane Tracing Assist requires Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to be enabled for it to function. The system requires detectable lane markings in order to function. Like Lane Departure Alert, lane recognition is enhanced over prior TSS generations. In addition to lane centering, this system also helps provide more space between vehicles being passed in adjacent lanes. It works by offsetting the vehicles' driving path with minor steering adjustments while keeping the vehicle within its lane.
  • An Emergency Driving Stop System is a new function of Lane Tracing Assist. It's designed to monitor the driver's inputs, such as steering operation, to determine if they're inattentive or non-responsive, such as during a medical emergency. This feature is designed to bring the vehicle to a stop if the driver doesn't respond to alerts to take control.
  • Road Sign Assist is designed to detect speed limit signs, stop signs, Do Not Enter signs, yield signs, and certain warning signs, and display an icon of the sign on the Multi-Information Display (MID).
In addition to TSS 3.0, other available features include Blind Spot Monitor (BSM), which is designed to help detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) for added peace of mind by helping to detect vehicles approaching from either side while backing out and alerting you with a visual and audible warning. Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) also comes standard.

Beyond Zero Vision

As part of Toyota's diverse portfolio approach toward a carbon-neutral future, 4Runner is the latest hybrid offering in the lineup to wear the Beyond Zero badge. Very soon, Toyota will offer 19 electrified vehicles for customers to choose from. With the additions of Land Cruiser and Tacoma, Toyota will offer 15 hybrid models, two plug-in hybrid models, the bZ4X battery electric vehicle (BEV), and the zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell Mirai, Toyota provides more choices than any other automaker for customers to reduce their carbon footprint.
​​​​​​​
Old 04-10-2024, 12:48 PM

Old 04-10-2024, 01:38 PM

One thing I saw in a review video was that on the hybrid model at least, the rear seats don’t fold flat.

not sure if the non-hybrid model fold flat due to no battery pack.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:38 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...iser-compared/

The new Toyota Land Cruiser has been (in)famously downsized in both size and price, but the redesigned 2025 Toyota 4Runner still differs in ways that should make it less expensive. Let's take a look at how Toyota's two new off-road-oriented mid-size SUVs compare with each other.

Powertrains

The 4Runner's base 278-hp 2.4-liter turbo four lacks the hybrid system, while the Land Cruiser comes standard with the beefier electrically assisted powertrain that's good for 326 horses and a substantial 465 pound-feet of torque. However, that same i-Force Max hybrid setup is available on most 4Runner models; it's also standard on the higher-spec Platinum, TRD Pro, and Trailhunter trims. Toyota hasn't yet released fuel-economy estimates for the 4Runner, but we expect the hybrid models to be close to the Cruiser's combined EPA estimate of 23 mpg.

An eight-speed automatic is the sole transmission for both Toyota SUVs. While only the 4Runner offers rear-wheel drive, nearly all have a part-time four-wheel-drive system; all Land Cruisers get the full-time system. Both SUVs can tow up to 6000 pounds. However, only the 4Runner offers sophisticated damper setups that the Cruiser simply doesn't.

Dimensions

Size-wise, the new 4Runner shares the Land Cruiser's 112.2-inch wheelbase, and its overall width (and underlying suspension track widths, presumably) are about the same. The big difference is the height, where the Land Cruiser's roofline is some 5.3 inches taller.

When it comes to off-roading, the 4Runner has slightly better clearances, with an approach angle up to 32 degrees and a departure angle as steep as 24 degrees. The Land Cruiser is a little behind, with up to a 31-degree approach angle and 22 degrees of departure. The 4Runner also has 9.2 inches of ground clearance versus the Cruiser's 8.7-inch max.

Interior and Cargo

Having sat in a Land Cruiser when it was introduced as well as tested the Lexus GX550 version, we feel the TLC offers a more commanding seating position and a better view out over the hood and to the sides compared with the new Tacoma (or anything closely related to it, such as the new 4Runner).

Cargo space should be better in a Cruiser too, although that theory may not hold with a nonhybrid 4Runner that doesn't have to carve out space for an underfloor battery. On the flip side, all Land Cruisers are five-passenger machines because they all carry said hybrid battery. Meanwhile, some 4Runners offer three rows of seating.

Old 07-25-2024, 11:00 AM

6th gen launch delayed until December next year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ts/ar-BB1qzIxR
Old 07-28-2024, 11:28 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
I think you missed a couple key words there in that it should be delayed until December OR early next year.
Old 07-28-2024, 03:12 PM

opps