TL Test-Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 07:05 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up TL Test-Drive

Well, I finally made it to Acura of Portland today to see and drive the 2004 TL. Here's my first impression w/ a short test-drive.

We pulled into the parking lot and found one of the new TLs on the lot--Nighthawk Black. NICE. Body kit actually looks decent. The stance is muscular and aggressive. The car looks mean--and it is definately sporty.

I took the keys from the salesmen and stuck them into the ignition. The intruments lit up and I went away to finding the perfect driving position. The seats are AMAZING--they're firm, but not overly firm, and the side bolsters are perfect. I adjusted the headrestraint, which has the cool tilt feature. I took notice of everything--the car looked VERY European on the inside. The aluminum trim is very nice, and just like it should be, cool to the touch. The "carbon fiber" looks great with a thick glaze over the top. All of the dials and screens glow blue besides the amber maintenance minder. The black leather is of high quality and the perfarations are tight and cleanly punctured. The dash seems to wrap around you and give a sense of intimacy. Every switch and dial (I mean EVERY) operates with fluid motion. The side map pockets and rear cup-holders are the only parts that seem to be "cheap"--but I use that word VERY VERY lightly. The rear seats are cushier, as expected from Acura--but by no means un-comfortable.

With a turn of the key, the engine came to life. The exhaust note and starting noise is BEAUTIFUL--beyond words. It gives a muscular growl, just to let you know that the engine is indeed running. I chuckled to myself in satisfaction--the noise is amazing! I shifted the car into drive and wrapped my hands around the thick, sporty steering wheel.

The drive is very nice...it's relatively firm, though it's definately not extreme. The car, overall, gives a nice ride. It's smooth and provides a cushion from pot-holes, but still lets you "feel the road" every now and then. I must say that it seems to have limited rear visibility--the thick C pillar, the raked rear window, and relatively high back seat are the reasons why.

The engine ran very smoothly and is extremely quiet. I chose not to push the car, considering it had only 20 miles on it (besides trying not to embarass my mother who was in the backseat), so I really didn't get to test it's 270 HP. What amazed my mother was the 28 MPG suggested by the window sticker. That's Honda for you.

The ELS sound system is GREAT. I had the opportunity to experience the DVD-A soundsystem and it is truley amazing. To fully appreciate it, you must listen to a CD quality track first, then listen to the DVD-A version. There's no comparison. The sound is incredibely crisp and really is surround sound. While listening to a song, I heard certain "noises" coming exclusively out of the back speakers. Another track also demonstrated this by sending certain parts of a song through select speakers--really cool.

We finally made it back to the dealership. I am now a TL believer. The TL is amazing--completely, totally, utterly amazing. The ride is admittingly not as firm as I expected, but that's excusable. If you're looking for a firmer ride, hop down to the TSX. It's the attention to detail and silkiness that draws me to the TL like a moth to a flame. Scratch what I said about the Volkswagen Touareg--I WANT A TL! I guess this is just the reason to look forward to college graduation Hopefully depreciation will be about the same as the previous generation TL--a 2004 or 2005 should be doable in four years.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro

I had much the same experience as you. I really really liked the new TL. I will admit, it doesn't have the aggressive nature of the G35, but nowhere near as dosile and boring as the ES330. In my opinion the TL is like 3/4 G35 mixed with 1/4 ES330 if that makes sense. It's engine, steering, suspension and braking all seem very well matched. I, like yourself, LOVED the engine. It's sooooo smooth and loves to rev like every other Honda engine, but the biggest suprise was the sound, it's muted but sounds deeper than your typical 6 cylinder.

On a side note, Skull and a few others have complained about the lack of torque off the line, but I found no such problem. I think this must have a lot to do with what you are used to driving. I currently drive a 1.8T VW Passat and it has no power whatsoever until the turbo kicks in at 1500-2000 RPM so I found the engine in the TL very responsive off the line and smooth all the way up to 5000RPM (didn't take it any higher out of respect for whoever ends up buying the car I test drove).
Old 10-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Re: TL Test-Drive

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
... I adjusted the headrestraint, which has the cool tilt feature. ..
It did tilt? How does one make that adjustment? I applied a small amount of
torque to the head restraint but that wasn't the way.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:54 PM
has been here awhile

Re: Re: TL Test-Drive

Originally posted by Peter7777
It did tilt? How does one make that adjustment? I applied a small amount of
torque to the head restraint but that wasn't the way.
Yup--it tilts. First, make sure it already isn't tilted. If it's not, take both hands and "pull" from the top of the head restraint--and make sure you have it up a few notches. The restraint won't tilt forward when fully lowered.

I actually pushed the restraint back a little bit from full tilt because it gets pretty close to your head. I personally think it looks better in the tilted position--but that's just me.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by jwaters943
On a side note, Skull and a few others have complained about the lack of torque off the line, but I found no such problem. I think this must have a lot to do with what you are used to driving.
As I said in another thread, pushing the accelerator pedal a little harder than we're used to gets you a better response. It took me a little time and reading the owner's manual to figure it out.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:58 PM
More On

Hey spud -- Can you say more about the handling?

Also: What more can you say about the TL vs. TSX comparison?
Old 10-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Race Director

The dash seems to wrap around you and give a sense of intimacy. Every switch and dial (I mean EVERY) operates with fluid motion.

Man you should be a writer, what you wrote above, makes you feel like you are in the car itself.. So much fine detail!

It's the attention to detail and silkiness that draws me to the TL like a moth to a flame. Scratch what I said about the Volkswagen Touareg--I WANT A TL! I guess this is just the reason to look forward to college graduation

HAHA, LUCKY BISH!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:54 PM
More On

Originally posted by 2004TL
.....Man you should be a writer, what you wrote above, makes you feel like you are in the car itself.. So much fine detail!
Spud might well become a writer, IMHO. It'll be interesting to see what he does become (if we have a chance to find out). It's gonna be something good.

(You too, 2004TL!)

P.S. BTW, what are you dudes heading for? Any idea yet?
Old 10-12-2003, 12:08 AM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: TL Test-Drive

Originally posted by larchmont
Spud might well become a writer, IMHO. It'll be interesting to see what he does become (if we have a chance to find out). It's gonna be something good.

(You too, 2004TL!)

P.S. BTW, what are you dudes heading for? Any idea yet?
Something in Computers

This is my senior year of HS and I have no clue..
Old 10-12-2003, 12:36 AM
More On

Re: Re: Re: Re: TL Test-Drive

Originally posted by 2004TL
Something in Computers

This is my senior year of HS and I have no clue..
Uh...... I got it........ How about something to do with computers and cars??
Old 10-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Registered AssHat

Well, I finally made it to Acura of Portland today to see and drive the 2004 TL....
I would recommend AGAINST Acura of Portland (Dick Hannah). I had a bad enough experience there with the TSX that I went to Ron Tonkin Acura in Beaverton. MUCH better experience.

If you're interested, talk to James LaFleur at Ron Tonkin. He's the no BS Fleet/Internet Manager. Good guy. Tell him Brandon sent you.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:51 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I would recommend AGAINST Acura of Portland (Dick Hannah). I had a bad enough experience there with the TSX that I went to Ron Tonkin Acura in Beaverton. MUCH better experience.

If you're interested, talk to James LaFleur at Ron Tonkin. He's the no BS Fleet/Internet Manager. Good guy. Tell him Brandon sent you.

Good luck!
Hello--the RL was bought @ Tonkin and we had a bad experience w/ service there (bought the car from James LaFleur). Headed over to Acura of Portland and have been very happy.

BTW--I already know what I'm goin into. I wanna be an Orthodontist and I've finally decided that I'm going to major in Chemistry and have a minor in Business.

As for writing articles--I'm contacting a friend about getting a car to test for an extended drive (two or three days). I feel that a simple test drive does not give me enough time to get to know the car. Because of this, I really can't give a great description of handling, Larch. I can say that the TSX gives a firmer ride--but that's pretty much it. I only drove the TL around on city streets and just stayed in one lane on the freeway. Pretty lame, eh?

I told my parents that for a X-mas present I want to get a TL for a week or few days (to have fun with ). I've been pressured by my father (and now my mother) to write articles/reviews on vehicles. It'll give a different perspective coming from a 17 year old. I have the connections to get this thing going--I guess I just need to do it. Feel free to critique my article...I feel that I'm kinda jumping all over the place.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:15 AM
Race Director

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TL Test-Drive

Uh...... I got it........ How about something to do with computers and cars??
Nah, I like cars and all, but know sh!t about them..

I know facts and simple things, but thats about it..

I am really good at naming cars from far away by looking at tail lights, but what car enthusiast isn't?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Hey Spud, if you don't mind me asking, how did you manage a test drive at only 17 years old? Did someone ride along with you? And I've read a lot of stuff from people your age. Most of it is utter garbage, but you write very well.

I'm in my senior year of college (studying Comp. Sci) and I went up to Madison with my parents to look at an 03 Type-S. Well of course, I had to get my hands on an RSX, and the salesman pawned me off to another salesman. Whatever! (BTW, I envision having a job when I graduate. My dilemma now is RSX vs. TSX - someone please help)
Old 10-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

I managed a test drive of the new TL (17 years old), but I was with my dad (in the back seat like spud's mom)
Old 10-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by RJC RSX
I managed a test drive of the new TL (17 years old), but I was with my dad (in the back seat like spud's mom)
This is the car I test drove when I was 17.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml

It was a '68 Cougar. Times haven't changed all that much!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro

I hate to start a new test drive thread, so I hope this okay to post here.

Below is my "review" from my test drive based on a scale of 1-10 that I posted on another site.

Exterior: 7.5

I don't care for the stock wheels and some of the details, but overall it looks really taut and much more sporty than the previous generation. The indentation that runs the length of the vehicle really does look better in person. There is also very little wheelgap which I love.

Interior: 9

I love the interior. The seats are quite supportive and VERY comfortable. Acura used a new leather in the TL and the only way I can describe it is it's thick like BMW leather, yet soft like Lexus leather. The materials are generally as good as Audi/BMW (with the exception of the fake wood, which looks okay for the fake stuff). The gauges are easy to read and are lit up at all times. The brushed aluminum is real and looks very nice. Pretty much everything just feels right about the interior and speaks of quality. The DVD Audio system is also quite good even when playing C.D.'s. It's up there with the best as far as stock systems go.

Engine: 9

The engine starts up with a muted rumble. Nissans 3.5 V6 does not sound this good. I don't know if it's the new exhaust or what, but I love the sound of this V6 which is deeper than most 6 cylinders I have driven. I was concerned about a lack of torque considering it's only rated at 238 (270hp), but found my concern was unfounded. The car moves well off the line even with 3 people on board. The acceleration is so smooth with no peaks or valleys and like every other Honda engine, it loves to rev. (It was hard to keep it below 5000RPM, but I did out of respect for whomever buys the car I drove).

Handling/Steering/Braking: 8

The steering is nicely weighted and the brakes feel responsive without being touchy. I took a few curves at 15-20 MPH above the speed limit and never felt the car break loose. There was slight body lean, but much less than my Passat. I will admit it's not a sport package equipped 330i or G35 in terms of sportiness, but it rides better than either one over broken pavement and is very solid and quiet. In terms of sportiness I'd honestly say it was somewhere between my '02 Passat and the 330i. The car was equipped with all season tires so I'm sure a tire upgrade would help.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro

Everyone seems to think the seats are so comfortable. I think cushier is more comfortable like Caddy. My livingroom couch is comfortable. Firm seats can be nice, but begin to hurt my back on extended drives.

As for Spud's comments, I hope you didn't do anything silly w/ your mom there. Sounds like u and the TL had a intimate relationship. I wouldn't even talk about ym girlfriend which such enduring words. It was very "colorful"
Old 10-12-2003, 12:14 PM
Pro

Originally posted by moreace
Everyone seems to think the seats are so comfortable. I think cushier is more comfortable like Caddy. My livingroom couch is comfortable. Firm seats can be nice, but begin to hurt my back on extended drives.

As for Spud's comments, I hope you didn't do anything silly w/ your mom there. Sounds like u and the TL had a intimate relationship. I wouldn't even talk about ym girlfriend which such enduring words. It was very "colorful"
There's a difference between supportive and firm IMO. The Acura TL seats are less firm than my 2002 Passat, but more supportive.

With that said, if you really want seats in your car to be like your nice comfy couch at home, buy a Buick.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:47 PM
More On

......Below is my "review" from my test drive.....
Great write-up. But, can you say anything about comparison of the new TL to the TSX, or to the old TL or TL-S? (If you've driven them, of course.)

About the seats: It's so subjective. Among other things it depends a lot on what car you're coming from. The TSX driver seat is so absolutely perfect for me that it's a tough act to follow. Given that, I gotta say, I almost hated the TL driver seat. Really. Too wide, and too deep (meaning the front-to-back length).
Old 10-12-2003, 12:57 PM
has been here awhile

...About the seats: It's so subjective. Among other things it depends a lot on what car you're coming from. The TSX driver seat is so absolutely perfect for me that it's a tough act to follow. Given that, I gotta say, I almost hated the TL driver seat. Really. Too wide, and too deep (meaning the front-to-back length).
You talking about a previous generation TL?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:02 PM
More On

You talking about a previous generation TL?
No, the new one.

But, this is no insult. As I said, I love the TSX seat so much that probably almost any other car's driver seat would suck to me.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Pro

Great write-up. But, can you say anything about comparison of the new TL to the TSX, or to the old TL or TL-S? (If you've driven them, of course.)

About the seats: It's so subjective. Among other things it depends a lot on what car you're coming from. The TSX driver seat is so absolutely perfect for me that it's a tough act to follow. Given that, I gotta say, I almost hated the TL driver seat. Really. Too wide, and too deep (meaning the front-to-back length).
In terms of refinement, body control, handling and interior materials the new TL is a big improvement compared to my '99 TL I used to own. The biggest/most noticable improvement is the body motion control and noise. The new TL doesn't exhibit the body roll and nose dive I experienced with my TL and it's much more quiet, with much less wind and road noise and slightly less engine noise. As for the Type S, unfortunately I never have driven one so I can't offer a comparison. When compared to the TSX I have to honestly say that the TSX "feels" more nimble and probably handles better. By how much? I would guess not very much, but enough to be noticable to the enthusiastic driver. I think there is only so much Acura could do to compensate for the additional weight of the V6 engine over the front wheels.

Regarding the seats, I found the ones in the TL just about perfect for my body type (I'm 6' 2", 210lbs. w/ a 36" waist and 34" inseam). I suppose for shorter drivers the seat cushion depth could pose a problem, but I found it satisfactory. Then again I usually find most seat cushions too short.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:12 PM
More On

In terms of refinement, body control, handling and interior materials the new TL is a big improvement compared to my '99 TL I used to own. The biggest/most noticable improvement is the body motion control and noise. The new TL doesn't exhibit the body roll and nose dive I experienced with my TL and it's much more quiet, with much less wind and road noise and slightly less engine noise. As for the Type S, unfortunately I never have driven one so I can't offer a comparison. When compared to the TSX I have to honestly say that the TSX "feels" more nimble and probably handles better. By how much? I would guess not very much, but enough to be noticable to the enthusiastic driver. I think there is only so much Acura could do to compensate for the additional weight of the V6 engine over the front wheels.......
Nice comparisons.

I think if you tried the TL-S, you'd find it much closer to the new TL (although still not equal). Before I got my TL-S, I considered the old regular TL too, and they were very very different cars.

About the TSX/TL handling comparison, I think your impression is just about what most people will feel. We do see a lot of opinions on here that the TL is equal to or better than the TSX in handling, but almost all of those are from people who haven't tried both cars. I'm serious.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:16 PM
has been here awhile

...TL is equal to or better than the TSX in handling, but almost all of those are from people who haven't tried both cars. I'm serious.
Well...I know you're not necessarily singling me out (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) but I can say that I have indeed test-driven the TSX. Just for the record
Old 10-12-2003, 01:24 PM
More On

Well...I know you're not necessarily singling me out (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) but I can say that I have indeed test-driven the TSX. Just for the record
Of course not, Spud, among other reasons because you didn't really state any TL vs. TSX handling assessment. You just described both a little bit and said you didn't really have the best chance yet to experience the TL's handling. Would that everyone were that fair and thorough.

(Pardon my Shakespeare.)
Old 10-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

It seems that a lot of people want to compare the New TL with the TSX in trying to figure out which to buy. Why does't Honda take the 6-speed 270 HP engine with Brembo brakes and drop it into the TSX? That way you get the nice seats of the TSX in a small package which is capable of being compared with the BMW 330i and Audi S4 in terms of performance? I would be willing to pay $36,000 for that. The size of the TL and TSX are not much different. It would be a bargain compared to the competition and would put the Acura name back in the concumer's mind as a Luxury/Performance/Value (LPV) brand.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Bound for Europe

thanks to SPUD, my once strong fear that the youth of today are complete idiots has now been lowered by 20%.

Damn! Thanks to him, now I wan't to head out and test the TL.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Pro

dumbest thing I ever heard, and I have been known for dumb comments (ask around)
Old 10-12-2003, 03:17 PM
More On

Originally posted by Soze75
thanks to SPUD, my once strong fear that the youth of today are complete idiots has now been lowered by 20%......
Hey Soze, wtf do you think you are, kid?
Old 10-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Bound for Europe

Hey Soze, wtf do you think you are, kid?
I'm wasted youth.

moreace - I forgot the smiley at the end of the sentence. Most of the complete idiots are in politics.(no smiley intended)