TL me no more

Old 09-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys ... lemme chime in here. I do not speak for all of the admins nor soopa the owner of this site ... BUT

I think we are supporting the proliferation of TL info by some of our key contributors as we will support any (specifically) Acura related info in the News/Rumors forum of this site. If you read the description is tells you the News/Rumors is for ANY car and not just the TSX. So it is fine to place TL info in there with regards to its release ... certainly news worthy.

We do need to keep in mind that the TL info and hype of any new Acura model is VERY cyclical. However, the support of the TSX community and owners for which this site was created will always be here to answer questions about TSX ownership, problems, suggestions, etc. So the path that we are going right now is to try to keep threads under news/rumors for the TL as info comes out. I think by November we will see the discussion die down substantially, but discussion for the "next thing" pick up. Since a lot of the folks here are Honda/Acura fans, I expect us to track other Acura/Honda's more closely as they come out.

I think as far as adding a TL forum ... I guess the concern is ... do we stop there? Do we add an RSX/RL/MDX/others forum as well? I guess you can voice your opinion here, but I will defer to soopa as to the statement there, but I think a more focused community is the current game plan.

Hope this makes sense ... figured I would respond since the Monday Night Football game is boring me to tears. I mean 3-0 in the 3rd quarter .. phew
Old 09-08-2003, 10:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by provench
Well guys ... lemme chime in here. I do not speak for all of the admins nor soopa the owner of this site ... BUT

I think we are supporting the proliferation of TL info by some of our key contributors as we will support any (specifically) Acura related info in the News/Rumors forum of this site. If you read the description is tells you the News/Rumors is for ANY car and not just the TSX. So it is fine to place TL info in there with regards to its release ... certainly news worthy.

We do need to keep in mind that the TL info and hype of any new Acura model is VERY cyclical. However, the support of the TSX community and owners for which this site was created will always be here to answer questions about TSX ownership, problems, suggestions, etc. So the path that we are going right now is to try to keep threads under news/rumors for the TL as info comes out. I think by November we will see the discussion die down substantially, but discussion for the "next thing" pick up. Since a lot of the folks here are Honda/Acura fans, I expect us to track other Acura/Honda's more closely as they come out.

I think as far as adding a TL forum ... I guess the concern is ... do we stop there? Do we add an RSX/RL/MDX/others forum as well? I guess you can voice your opinion here, but I will defer to soopa as to the statement there, but I think a more focused community is the current game plan.

Hope this makes sense ... figured I would respond since the Monday Night Football game is boring me to tears. I mean 3-0 in the 3rd quarter .. phew

provench...the only thing I will add is that while I agree once the hype dies down there will be less TL "news and rumours" to post...if we want to keep our TL friend around we would need to provide a forum for them to converse on a regular basis. I see your point about..if we add a TL section..then where to we stop. Thats why a general catch all section for all automotive topics would be good as it would allow us to keep our TSX focus in one place..but alow a free open discussion on the latest car info in another.

I dont think we should be afraid to grow. And if we try something and it doesnt work out...thats fine.

My .02
Old 09-08-2003, 10:15 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Information is what draws people to a site...TSX info drew people to clubtsx. Lack of info is now the down fall for that site among other things. If you guys want to keep this a TSX site only that's fine by me. All we have to do is not post any NEW/ADVANCE info on any new Acura products on this site and in time this will turn back into a TSX only forum. Personally, I want to keep everything central because that way I do not have to go to 10 different forums to post stuff. But then again I don't own this site so you guys decide.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Instructor

I think if you want to branch out and expand to be the best forum around...I like Provench's idea! Under "General" Just make seperate forums...TSX/TL/RL/MDX Im pretty sure it would be a big hit for everyone. I know for one that I would like reading about all the Acura products, no matter which one I own! By the way will be the TL
Old 09-08-2003, 10:47 PM
More On

Originally posted by Booyah
I think if you want to branch out and expand to be the best forum around...I like Provench's idea! Under "General" Just make seperate forums...TSX/TL/RL/MDX.......
Uhhhhh....... I'm not sure Prov wants to take credit for this "idea."
Old 09-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Racer

This is a TSX board, but it just happens to have some of the best info on the 04TL. Plus I'm quite impressed with the people here. While there are often differing views, it is in general quite civilized and well run. I've looked at some of the other boards, and there often seems to be a high percentage of kiddies and trolls present.

Once the 04TL is out the direction of the discussions here will change. I hope that those still interested in the 04TL, either as owners or potential future owners, will find a home someplace. Perhaps that place will still be here in "News & Rumors", unless we are evicted.

-r
Old 09-09-2003, 01:30 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
Uhhhhh....... I'm not sure Prov wants to take credit for this "idea."
Not that Prov couldn't think of that himself, but that was an idea I relayed to him via chat. What I was saying was to create a separate section called 'Other Acura.' Then create RL, RSX, TL, MDX, NSX, and whatever else car Acura releases. We could keep the info there and have it (which is important), but we could keep this site as organized as possible. It is a TSX site but I for one value the TL info.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
More On

Originally posted by Jason
Not that Prov couldn't think of that himself, but that was an idea I relayed to him via chat. What I was saying was to create a separate section called 'Other Acura.' Then create RL, RSX, TL, MDX, NSX, and whatever else car Acura releases. We could keep the info there and have it (which is important), but we could keep this site as organized as possible. It is a TSX site but I for one value the TL info.
My point was, I thought Prov meant THE OPPOSITE -- that it would be untenable to have all those sections, and therefore that we should beware of even starting on such a path. But I guess I misunderstood.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
My point was, I thought Prov meant THE OPPOSITE -- that it would be untenable to have all those sections, and therefore that we should beware of even starting on such a path. But I guess I misunderstood.
I don't know what Prov was sayin, but I don't think he liked my idea. I do know you have a hell of a lot more posts than me.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah ... I was thinking unless this site becomes acura-everything.com that the intent was to keep it a TSX site. However, I do think that the TL and TSX have quite a few more similarities as far as the type of drivers that will look at both cars ... namely they are Acura's 4-door sports sedan lineup :-) So I can see having TL/TSX combined, but not bringing in the MDX, RSX, CL crew (by the way ... our owner soopa also runs the kick butt CL site www.acura-cl.com).

I will try to talk to soopa on IM to get some thoughts on this. But as I see it there are 4 options:

1) A strong move would be to try to bring TL folks here ... not sure acura-tl.com would like that. Could get the name acura-tsx-tl.com? Ha

2) Another move is to provide tighter linkage across acura-tsx and acura-tl ... not sure if that can or will happen ... soopa can talk to that site owner (who he has history with) to understand how that might work.

3) This option involves just a new forum called "Acura Talk" for non-TSX Acura talk (note that non Acura stuff can still take place in off topic so as not to make this site all-car-forum.com). Note that News/Rumors will continue to be ANY car news.

4) Do nothing and let the hype pass over.

It sounds like that most folks want to see at least #3 done. Based on resources I am sure #1/2 could happen, but that is 100% soopa's call since he pays for the site !

So give us some time and we'll try to work out what is best.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:13 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

OK, it looks like noone is listening to my idea..or noone likes it. Why have a new TL forum..or an "Acura Talk" forum? Why not just have a general automotive forum. THis would be easier..wont step on anyones toes , and will be much more usefull. What If I want to talk about the new A4 or 3 series? It would be nice to have a forum to do this. WHy limit it to just "TL" or even just "Acura"?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

1) A strong move would be to try to bring TL folks here ... not sure acura-tl.com would like that. Could get the name acura-tsx-tl.com? Ha

2) Another move is to provide tighter linkage across acura-tsx and acura-tl ... not sure if that can or will happen ... soopa can talk to that site owner (who he has history with) to understand how that might work.

I don't know why we're treading so lightly around the whole acura-tl.com subject. The reason most of us are here is because a-tl comes up short.

Besides, I think we should be careful about bringing TL owners over here. The members at A-TL are notorious for crying, whining and acting :ghey: I'd like to see TL interests supported over here via mini forums. Setting up a full blown TL area over here is likely to invite the wrong crowd. That would ruin it for everyone.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Car Talk is to talk about cars. We can takl about whateve rin there. It does not have to be JUST TSX talk... you will find that type of forum (one car only) gets really boring after awhile.

This is why A-CL is so successful... people can talk about whatever. 6-12 months into a website... that is very valuable trait.

I have no interest in trying to take anything TL from Tim. He worked hard to build his website and I don't think a tthis point he would try to take anything CL or TSX from me.

I will talk to Tim about possible alternatives... tho I doubt we will come to any conclusion.

Anyway back to the TSX people wanting only TSX talk...

I understand you all just got your cars... and all you wanna talk about is YOUR cars. But your going to find a couple months/years in... theres not much left to say. But you have friends here in this community.

This is a COMMUNITY. Its more about bringing owners with COMMON INTERESTS together... not JUST the car. Sure the car is the focal point... but thats not all there is.

I for one am all for having everything together...

364 days of the year there isnt a whole lot of news on other Acuras worth talking about.

This TL thing is a once every 3-5 year occurance. Enjoy it while it lasts rather then protesting it.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:21 AM
The Creator

Yes I agree A-TL comes up short. Tim knows I feel this way... this is why Tim and I parted ways many years ago in respects to working together.

This is also why so so many TL owners are on A-CL... which is the best acura community afterall

NEVERTHELESS... Tim is a friend and I wish to TAKE nothing from him. I have proposed many times to come to a compromise... I will try again. But like I said... its his baby and I understand his wanting to run it the way he wants to run it.

Just because it may not be the way you or I like it doesn't mean we should protest him.

I mean... OVERALL A-TL is a more than decent site. Its just not A-CL or A-TSX
Old 09-09-2003, 09:28 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by soopa
Car Talk is to talk about cars. We can takl about whateve rin there. It does not have to be JUST TSX talk... you will find that type of forum (one car only) gets really boring after awhile.

This is why A-CL is so successful... people can talk about whatever. 6-12 months into a website... that is very valuable trait.

I have no interest in trying to take anything TL from Tim. He worked hard to build his website and I don't think a tthis point he would try to take anything CL or TSX from me.

I will talk to Tim about possible alternatives... tho I doubt we will come to any conclusion.

Anyway back to the TSX people wanting only TSX talk...

I understand you all just got your cars... and all you wanna talk about is YOUR cars. But your going to find a couple months/years in... theres not much left to say. But you have friends here in this community.

This is a COMMUNITY. Its more about bringing owners with COMMON INTERESTS together... not JUST the car. Sure the car is the focal point... but thats not all there is.

I for one am all for having everything together...

364 days of the year there isnt a whole lot of news on other Acuras worth talking about.

This TL thing is a once every 3-5 year occurance. Enjoy it while it lasts rather then protesting it.

So basically you're saying this is a car board where people just talk about cars? This is news to me as I thought this was a TSX site. What you are saying is bad idea in my opinion. What if I want to search for "rattling" in the car talk section and get 100 threads about the rattles in the new TL..or some bmw. We need to maintain some kind of focus. To say that there wont be enough to talk about on the TSX is silly...thats the whole point of this site. WHy dont we just have one big huge forum then?

We can keep our focus..and keep this as a great one stop resource for TSX owners, but also have forums where we can have discussions on all kinds of automotive topics. But of couse this is your site and you do what you want ... but I can tell you if this site becomes mostly non-tSX related stuff dont be surprised if people start posting on other TSX sites to get the info they need.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for the reply soopa. Admin/Mods will allow for non-TSX threads to be posted in "Car Talk" and we will just let the "seasonal" discussions intermix with the ongoing TSX owner and prospective buyer exchanges.

I think this is an ok approach and the TSX topics will still dominate for 95% of the year in that forum.

Now back to your regularly scheduled TSX forum
Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the reply soopa. Admin/Mods will allow for non-TSX threads to be posted in "Car Talk" and we will just let the "seasonal" discussions intermix with the ongoing TSX owner and prospective buyer exchanges.

I think this is an ok approach and the TSX topics will still dominate for 95% of the year in that forum.

Now back to your regularly scheduled TSX forum

Bad bad bad idea.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:31 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by fdl
So basically you're saying this is a car board where people just talk about cars? This is news to me as I thought this was a TSX site. What you are saying is bad idea in my opinion. What if I want to search for "rattling" in the car talk section and get 100 threads about the rattles in the new TL..or some bmw. We need to maintain some kind of focus. To say that there wont be enough to talk about on the TSX is silly...thats the whole point of this site. WHy dont we just have one big huge forum then?

We can keep our focus..and keep this as a great one stop resource for TSX owners, but also have forums where we can have discussions on all kinds of automotive topics. But of couse this is your site and you do what you want ... but I can tell you if this site becomes mostly non-tSX related stuff dont be surprised if people start posting on other TSX sites to get the info they need.

no no no... i agree with you there. I dont think TL owners should be here rambling on about their cars.

but i think talking abotu new features in an upcoming car is a different story...

or talking about something another car has also is a different sotry.

but your right... TL epople shouldnt be in our Car Talk talking about "my TL seat is rattling" or whatever.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by fdl
Bad bad bad idea.

fdl... this site has been modeled after A-CL...

A-CL is arguably one of the most successful single car specific communities out there. The since of community is overwhelming.

For reference to what we mean we will allow... simply check out A-CL car talk. that will give you an idea... and it works.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:33 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

no no no... i agree with you there. I dont think TL owners should be here rambling on about their cars.

but i think talking abotu new features in an upcoming car is a different story...

or talking about something another car has also is a different sotry.

but your right... TL epople shouldnt be in our Car Talk talking about "my TL seat is rattling" or whatever.

Ahh..ok. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:34 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

fdl... this site has been modeled after A-CL...

A-CL is arguably one of the most successful single car specific communities out there. The since of community is overwhelming.

For reference to what we mean we will allow... simply check out A-CL car talk. that will give you an idea... and it works.

Ya, I know you have experience with this sort of thing. But I think I misunderstood you, thats all.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I mean... OVERALL A-TL is a more than decent site. Its just not A-CL or A-TSX
You are quite the diplomat and entirely too generous! Thanks for offering your perspective on this and clarifying the focus of this board.

Yes, there is a lot of hype around the TL right now. Right now this is the most appropriate forum to support the hype. Once things settle down and a few TL's have left dealer lots, hopefully we can join the General Talk discussions without too much resentment from TSX owners.

I'm sure many people will continue to split time between sites, because of what's been stated (and is known) about A-TL. Hopefully we can co-exist peacefully on forums that aren't dedicated to the TL.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:42 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Well, I'm glad there's now a specific forum for discussion of TL-related issues. I was starting to wonder the same things as fdl and others. Thankfully, there's this new forum just for TL info!. There have been many references to waiting for the TL hype to die down, while at the same time espousing that A-TSX is the purported best place to find TL info and join a respectable community! So people may get confused (as if we're not already) as to what the meaning of the domain "acura-tsx.com" means. While I see your points about A-TSX being a more successful board for general Acura info, I see that the domain name somewhat conflicts with the discussions about the TL.

I have one suggestion. The location of the new "2004 TL" section may be buried too deep. If someone looking for TL info comes over here (a newbie, for instance), it's not immediately clear (based on the table of contents) where one might find info on the TL. Perhaps the other Acura vehicle forums (such as the TL forum) should be given a new place, perhaps under "Miscellaneous" or even at the same level- a "Other Acura Models" grouping.

My point is this: If the 04 TL topics prove to be continually useful, either because TL folks like the community or because the hype doesn't die down, you'll be stuck with this weird "04 TL" forum that's buried 3 levels deep on this TSX site.

Well, what happens when the 2005 model comes out? Will you need a new "05 TL" forum?

Soopa- I'll not tell you how to run your vBulletin forums, but if you would like some other ideas about creating a board format that will withstand the test of time, check this out. I've been a member of another very successful discussion board for several years - Xterra Owners Club. The format, organization, and the subdivision of different topics on that board have made that board very successful.

Just adding fuel to the fire!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:43 PM
The Creator

see i personally think the Xterra forums are laid out horribly.

the point of this 2004 tl NEWS forum is simply to keep the clutter down and stop all your whining during this once every 5 year new TL blip.

if there was a TL forum right on our main forum display THEN you might get confused as to the focus of this site.

its a sub forum of news a rumors simply to keep news a rumors a bit cleaner

Search this Thread