Tesla: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,258 Likes on 2,630 Posts
US sends team to Detroit to investigate Tesla-semi crash

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-sends-...023052530.html

DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government's highway safety agency is sending a team to Detroit to investigate a crash involving a Tesla that drove beneath a semitrailer.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Monday night that a special crash investigation team will go to the city to investigate the “violent crash.” Two people were critically injured in the crash that happened last Thursday on the city’s southwest side.

The crash circumstances are similar to two others in Florida in which Teslas drove beneath tractor-trailers, causing two deaths. In both crashes, in 2016 and 2019, the cars were being driven while using Tesla's Autopilot partially automated driving software.

Detroit Police Sgt. Nicole Kirkwood could not say if the Tesla driver was using the company's Autopilot or “full self-driving” software. “It's still under investigation,” she said.

A message was left Monday night seeking comment from Tesla. The Palo Alto, California-based company has said previously that Autopilot and “full self-driving” are driver-assistance systems and that the driver must be ready to intervene at all times.

But the company has been criticized by the National Transportation Safety Board for failing to adequately monitor drivers to make sure they are paying attention. The NTSB, which investigates crashes and makes recommendations, also criticized Tesla for allowing the system to work on roads that it can't handle.

In a Feb. 1 letter to the Department of Transportation, which includes NHTSA, NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt urged the agency to enact regulations governing driver assist systems as well as testing of autonomous vehicles. NHTSA has relied mainly on voluntary guidelines for the vehicles, taking a hands-off approach so it won’t hinder development of new safety technology.

He wrote that Tesla is using its owners to test “full self-driving” software on public roads with limited oversight or reporting requirements. “Because NHTSA has put in place no requirements, manufacturers can operate and test vehicles virtually anywhere, even if the location exceeds the AV (autonomous vehicle) control system’s limitations,” Sumwalt wrote.

“Although Tesla includes a disclaimer that ‘currently enabled features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous,’ NHTSA’s hands-off approach to oversight of AV testing poses a potential risk to motorists and other road users,” he wrote.

Detroit police said in a statement that a white Tesla sedan drove through an intersection around 3:20 a.m. Thursday, struck the trailer and became wedged beneath it.

Both the male driver and female passenger were taken to a local hospital. The woman was in critical condition Thursday, while the driver's condition was not immediately known. Police said the information was preliminary and subject to change upon further investigation.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:30 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,708 Likes on 6,487 Posts
Tesla is charging $10000 for full self driving when they know it will never be more than a Level 2 system. All of those videos of Teslas stopping at stoplights, making left turns, driving itself down crowded street are all fake. Tesla has been openly lying and commiting fraud for years now, the 8 cameras they installed on a million cars which are unnecessary for level 2 driving was all apart of the fraud. Also anything less than 100% reliability in all conditions is just level 2, oh you're only 99.99999999999999% accurate... that's actually just level 2 driving, I know it's fake because I read an article on Jalopnik

Extraordinary claims (Tesla has internally known that FSD is unobtainable and they've committed a fraud all along and they've been lying to the public for years), require extraordinary amounts of evidence. A couple sentences from a legal document they gave a state so they could avoid a special permit ain't enough.

Scientists: climate change is real and caused by humans.
Idiots: if climate change is real then why did Obama by a house on the beach, I can dismiss mountains of evidence because someone I don't like bought a house.

Same stupid logic
Old 03-16-2021, 10:49 AM

Received 5,935 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Tesla is charging $10000 for full self driving when they know it will never be more than a Level 2 system. All of those videos of Teslas stopping at stoplights, making left turns, driving itself down crowded street are all fake. Tesla has been openly lying and commiting fraud for years now, the 8 cameras they installed on a million cars which are unnecessary for level 2 driving was all apart of the fraud. Also anything less than 100% reliability in all conditions is just level 2, oh you're only 99.99999999999999% accurate... that's actually just level 2 driving, I know it's fake because I read an article on Jalopnik

Extraordinary claims (Tesla has internally known that FSD is unobtainable and they've committed a fraud all along and they've been lying to the public for years), require extraordinary amounts of evidence. A couple sentences from a legal document they gave a state so they could avoid a special permit ain't enough.

Idiots: if climate change is real then why did Obama by a house on the beach, I can dismiss mountains of evidence because someone I don't like bought a house.

Same stupid logic
Seriously, is Tesla apologetics a new hobby for you now?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:32 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,154 Likes on 4,036 Posts

Same stupid logic
Jalopnik only wrote an article based on what Tesla themselves said in a legal statement which is that FSD is not actually FSD and the vehicle cannot reliably drive itself. It is a level 2 system, nothing more.

Get over it.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:56 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by ttribe
yeah maybe, I enjoyed debunking all of the climate change denier bs on this forum for the last decade. Now idiots are spreading bs about the company that's doing the most to prevent the worst effects of climate change so here I am correcting falsehoods with facts and logic.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-26-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 02:16 PM
Ex-OEM King

yeah maybe, I enjoyed debunking all of the climate change denier bs on this forum for the last decade. Now idiots are spreading bs about the company that's doing the most to prevent the worst effects of climate change so here I am correcting falsehoods with facts and logic.
Except now you're the one spreading the falsehoods and bad logic...
Old 03-16-2021, 08:13 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Am I a Tesla apologist for posting this?

Old 03-16-2021, 09:46 PM
Ex-OEM King

No but I don't for a second believe that you didn't think that was the cause for even a little bit. Everyone thought it and that's a big part of the problem with the system.

It's not like you see a BMW crash and everyone immediately asks if the driver was using cruise control.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:46 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
You forgot ad hominem
Old 03-17-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 5,935 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
No but I don't for a second believe that you didn't think that was the cause for even a little bit. Everyone thought it and that's a big part of the problem with the system.

It's not like you see a BMW crash and everyone immediately asks if the driver was using cruise control.
No, they just assume the BMW driver was at fault because #asshole.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
You forgot ad hominem
Well, that's just a tactic used in apologetics.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

In the ever present words of DJ Khaled...Another one.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-driver-on...ams-1846495075

On 3/17 at 1:12 am, troopers from the Lansing Post investigating a car vs deer traffic crash on I-96 near Waverly Rd in Eaton County. While investigating that crash with their emergency lights on, a Tesla on autopilot strikes the patrol car.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:46 AM
Azine Jabroni

Autopilot is convenient but not that much safer. Simple as that.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:13 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
In the ever present words of DJ Khaled...Another one.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-driver-on...ams-1846495075
Yikes
Old 03-18-2021, 03:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Ouch. Not even close to level 5. It’s hardware limited.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:06 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Comfy (03-24-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Ouch. Not even close to level 5. It’s hardware limited.

https://twitter.com/taylorogan/statu...842713601?s=21
I’m gonna save this. Your nfnsquared-like logic is hilarious, those videos don’t validate your “hardware limited” statement in anyway

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 03-23-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:28 PM
Ex-OEM King

I’m gonna save this. Your nfnsquared-like logic is hilarious, those videos don’t validate your “hardware limited” statement in anyway
Does Tesla's own legal statement made by its lawyers validate the statement that it is limited? At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what you choose to believe is or isn't true. The fact of the matter is that FSD is in fact not anywhere close to FSD and won't be anytime soon by the words of the people who created it. Choosing to ignore this fact just makes the irony in your avatar all that more entertaining.
Costco (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Does Tesla's own legal statement made by its lawyers validate the statement that it is limited? At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what you choose to believe is or isn't true. The fact of the matter is that FSD is in fact not anywhere close to FSD and won't be anytime soon by the words of the people who created it. Choosing to ignore this fact just makes the irony in your avatar all that more entertaining.
I never noticed
Old 03-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Azine Jabroni

Tesla's lawyers validate my statements.

Buy yeah, keep up with the ad hominem. It's really bolstering your point

(Btw, Stunna doesn't own a Tesla)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:10 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I just have a pre order for one

Im not buying one until the new battery tech comes out, they Osborned me

oh and a $7000 tax credit is likely coming soon

Rumors are that the Supercharger network is going to be opened up to all EVs

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 03-26-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Comfy (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:20 PM
Azine Jabroni

https://youtu.be/Fc-0uyVC2Ww

Does Tesla need an EV credit?

Why more big corporate welfare for a company that is clearly so successful it doesn't need the credit?
Old 03-26-2021, 10:38 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Tesla's incredible success comes from its history of solving big problems. Electric vehicles weren't cool, weren't fast, lacked usable range, and had no infrastructure for charging. The company roundly handled each issue, creating the coolest, quickest, longest-range, best-supported range of EVs. Yet sometimes that philosophy goes too far, leading Tesla to attempt to solve a problem that never existed.

Shifting gears in an automatic, for instance, was solved decades ago. But in the interest of freeing up center console space, many automakers have started moving the shifter to the dash or steering column. Tesla's used that column-mounted shifter since day one in the Model S, borrowing from Mercedes what I consider to be the best shifting solution. It takes up little space in an area that's generally not crowded, is easy to operate, and makes clear what gear you're going into. For the 2021 Model S and Model X refresh, Tesla has replaced it with something that has none of those positive attributes.

We've known since the refresh was announced that Tesla was ditching the gear stalk. It was hard to know how they'd handle shifting, though, with only a vague Elon tweet promising a system that will "guess" which direction you want to go. Failing that, we now know what the manual alternative will be thanks to a video posted by Twitter user @hsumacher.

In it, you see that there will be a touch interface where you drag the car in the direction you want to go. Despite Tesla's usual prowess in terms of software, the control seems to be a little jittery and laggy, but this is presumably pre-production software. We can't 100 percent confirm it as real, either, since Tesla does not typically respond to any request for comment. From what we see, though, it doesn't look good.

Essentially, rather than taking up space on the steering column where nothing else lives, it's now chewing up screen real estate. The display itself does not make clear whether you've successfully shifted or what gear you're currently in, something that will probably require a look toward the driver display. So you have to look to use the non-physical control, then look elsewhere to confirm the seemingly laggy system even processed your input. All of this to solve a problem that didn't exist, or—in more realistic terms—save Tesla money by eliminating a moving part.

If Elon's promise comes true, you won't have to use this system often. Instead, you'll get to experience the thrill of pressing the accelerator knowing it can move the car in opposite directions depending on what Tesla's clearly limited AI "guesses" you might want. And should the car experience a display failure, as many Teslas have in the past, rest assured knowing that you won't have an interface to shift manually.
Tesla’s Solution to a Nonexistent Problem (autoweek.com)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts

Why more big corporate welfare for a company that is clearly so successful it doesn't need the credit?
The EV credit is for consumers like us and not the manufacturers as I understand. And all makes of cars are eligible, not just Tesla, so what's your point?

Last edited by Comfy; 03-26-2021 at 11:36 PM.
#1 STUNNA (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:39 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

https://youtu.be/Fc-0uyVC2Ww

Hopefully the Texas facility will churn out new battery tech. With the proposed EV credit, well........ don't need any more words..
Old 03-27-2021, 01:00 AM
Sanest Florida Man

because we have to drastically reduce CO2 emissions in this decade and we should heavily encourage people to buy EVs. You do know that Tesla doesn’t get $7k, right? That goes to the customer

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 03-27-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:12 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

One more video to dispel the myth of EVs are more polluting than Gas powered cars.

I don’t particularly think the numbers he mentioned with regards to clean energy are accurate but you get the general idea.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:20 PM
Azine Jabroni

because we have to drastically reduce CO2 emissions in this decade and we should heavily encourage people to buy EVs. You do know that Tesla doesn’t get $7k, right? That goes to the customer
But customers have shown they don't need the tax credit to buy up Teslas. Therefore, there's no reason for the government to offer those rebates.

Instead, it should only be extended to new vehicles. There's no reason to give people rebates for the model 3 or model y when people are already buying more than Tesla can make.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

But customers have shown they don't need the tax credit to buy up Teslas. Therefore, there's no reason for the government to offer those rebates.

Instead, it should only be extended to new vehicles. There's no reason to give people rebates for the model 3 or model y when people are already buying more than Tesla can make.
I don’t know why it’s so hard to understand. Those who are really short of $7000 to buy an electric vehicle will consider buying them if there is a tax credit available. Otherwise they will be buying a polluting, but cheaper ICE vehicle.

Tesla is currently production constrained and it appears that those who already bought these vehicles did not need any tax credit, But Tesla is ramping up production significantly and pretty soon it will pass that segment of people who do not care about tax credit, and reach those who will care about tax credit to make a meaningful transition to sustainable mobility.

I’m all the more supportive of you since you bought two of them. .
Old 03-28-2021, 10:09 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Comfy
I don’t know why it’s so hard to understand. Those who are really short of $7000 to buy an electric vehicle will consider buying them if there is a tax credit available. Otherwise they will be buying a polluting, but cheaper ICE vehicle.

Tesla is currently production constrained and it appears that those who already bought these vehicles did not need any tax credit, But Tesla is ramping up production significantly and pretty soon it will pass that segment of people who do not care about tax credit, and reach those who will care about tax credit to make a meaningful transition to sustainable mobility.

I’m all the more supportive of you since you bought two of them. .
you don’t seem to understand that Tesla buyers have proven they don’t need the $7500 to buy EVs. Tesla should have to make better, more affordable cars, not get government handouts to reward their weekly price adjustment.

You are being naïve.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:24 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
to make a meaningful transition to sustainable mobility..
Some folks have not been drinking the BEV Kool-Aid and see ICE vehicles just as sustainable.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:36 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

you don’t seem to understand that Tesla buyers have proven they don’t need the $7500 to buy EVs. Tesla should have to make better, more affordable cars, not get government handouts to reward their weekly price adjustment.

You are being naïve.
Model 2 (or whatever they want to call that) is the answer and will arrive in 1-2 years, possibly the Chinese version would come sooner.
I for one will definitely consider buying Tesla sooner than I normally would if there is a 7k tax credit on top of all the newer battery tech coming out.

Last edited by Comfy; 03-29-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:44 AM
Azine Jabroni

Model 2 (or whatever they want to call that) is the answer and will arrive in 1-2 years, possibly the Chinese version would come sooner.
I for one will definitely consider buying Tesla sooner than I normally would if there is a 7k tax credit on top of all the newer tech coming out.
Fine, then give the credit on the model 2.

The government's job isn't to get Tesla to sell more Teslas. The government's job is to encourage all automakers to move to EVs.
Comfy (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 07:51 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Fine, then give the credit on the model 2.

The government's job isn't to get Tesla to sell more Teslas. The government's job is to encourage all automakers to move to EVs.
That is absolutely fine with me too. Offer the credit to only cars costing less than $25-30k (just as some European countries have shown). That way I can decide what I want to buy from the available price ranges and potential tax and other benefits.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:06 PM
Sanest Florida Man

You are being naïve.
are you aware that Tesla is currently developing a $25k car right now?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:21 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

are you aware that Tesla is currently developing a $25k car right now?
I guess that’s what Kurt is referring to. Meanwhile United Kingdom also changed its EV incentives recently and that will work only with $25K car for Tesla.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:25 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Two new parking spot designations appeared at my work place parking area. I used to park here quite often but today realized that there is some thing behind me in the mirror and then I quickly had to move my car. I didn’t want to be “that guy”. .
Not sure if this will work only with Tesla or other electric vehicles are included as well. By the way I haven’t seen any other EV‘s other than Teslas at my workplace. I guess nobody’s that stupid here. .

Old 04-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Harris Ranch Supercharger already exists but is 150kw max, it seems like it will be greatly expanded with many new 250kw chargers
Comfy (04-05-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Oh snap Harris Ranch is between the Firebaugh and Kettelman City supercharger stations on I-5 in Cali. So there's going to be 3 massive charging stations one after the other. I wonder if they'll replace the V2 chargers or keep them there, I think people would rather be able to charge at V2 speeds while waiting for a V3 than not charge at all. Kettelman has 40 charger, and Firebaugh has 56, Harris may be upgraded up to about 100
Old 04-05-2021, 01:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,258 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Understanding the Tesla Model Motors

Explains alot of the various electric motor configurations in the Tesla 3/S/X for the different front and rear motors
The high performance electric motor rotor (part that spins) is 61lb in weight

Last edited by Legend2TL; 04-05-2021 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
#1 STUNNA (04-06-2021), Comfy (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 09:31 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Autobidder is Tesla's AI automated software that manages Gigawatts of energy storage around the globe; it basically automates the process of storing energy when prices are cheap and releasing energy when prices are high, easy money

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 04-06-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Tesla: Development and Technology News