Subaru: Legacy News

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:04 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Is the $32k for the GT Limited wagon? Couple weeks ago, I test drove a GT Limited sedan (5MT) and I don't recall seeing a price tag of $32k. Anyway, I have to agree with you that the handling is great. The salesman took me to a curvy road for a test drive. His comment after the test drive was that he had never riden in any test drives (by customers) that was quite that fast and controlled around those curves. I don't know if he was talking about how good the car was or how good my driving was. :P Anyway, the GT Limited is on my "next car" list.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Teh ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, wagon as stated later in the review...

I think it's a grand difference between the two.

Junkster, who would also have a 2 year old used Gt on his list later down the line
Old 08-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Racer

05 subaru legacy

anyone ever check this car out in person? this thing looks SWEET for the money. i know their AWD is top notch, but i always thought they were ugly till this thing came out. i would have def considered this car if it came out in 04.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I drove a Legacy GT limited 5 speed wagon and a GT limited auto sedan. Both cars were extremely nice. Not too excited about the sedan styling, actually liked the wagon better ( did I really say that ) because it looked more unified and had a huge sunroof. The car had great power and was very fast with both the auto and manual. The car was pretty fast off the line, and once the turbo spooled up it really pulled towards the redline. Also has great potential to mod, since its a turbo. I would consider this car as the ultimate sleeper.

I went with the TL for its features and styling ( inside and out ).
Old 08-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
too bad it doesn't have a navi option
Old 08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Racer

I went to look at the redesigned 05s last week. Subaru did a great job and they really stepped up the interior quite a bit but still not as nice as the TL but better than the G35 IMO.

Performance is awesome (0-60 in 5.8s, great traction, no torque steer) and there are several on the Subaru boards that went from a 3G TL to the new Subaru. It's really nice to have a fuel efficient AWD system with power for those of us who experience snow in the winter.

Things that put me off: no HIDs, no NAVI (rumored as an option for '06), cheapo sound system, seems smaller than the TL - Size is more along the lines of the TSX.

Subaru has a great reputation, great quality, and now has a high performance AWD near-luxo sedan that many on a tighter budget should consider when shopping around.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Instructor

I did, drove the GT Sedan... here was my conclusion...

Pros, things that impressed me...
1) Impressive acceleration and great power with that 250 hp Turbo Boxter engine. (Perhaps quicker then the TL, but not as smooth feeling)
2) Decent interior layout. With MOMO Steering Wheel.
3) AWD nice.
4) Comfortable Seats
5) Dual-zone Climate Controls
6) Gauge needles full sweep on start up, kinda neat

Cons, things I did not care for...
1) Small cabin, little head room and back seat area small for adults.
2) No Navi option.
3) Subwoofer/Amp is extra. (Sounds system not as nice as TL's, but still good)
4) No Blue tooth or phone option
5) No power seats or driver memory seat/mirror postions
6) Small 17" wheels (but nice profile)
7) Engine noise and exterior noise present. (not as quiet as the TL)

Those Cons where the things I really wanted in a car. If you don't mind the smaller cabin and missing the luxury perks and would rather have more power and acceleration with AWD then I'd go for this car. I feel this car is not in the luxury class of cars. This car is more like an everyday commuter with sleeper power that would suprise everyone.

There is my
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another con . . .

Subarus don't hold their value well.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

So we can buy them 2nd hand and then use it as a thrash car
Old 08-27-2004, 02:40 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

A buddy of mine just bought a used STI with low miles (under 8000) for around $26K. Seems like a pretty cheap way to get a darn quick car. After about $1500 in mods he is down arou 4.2 zip-to-60
Old 08-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Advanced

I have a 03 TLS nav, and my roommate was looking at a 04 TL or a SUV/sport wagon. We stumbled upon the 05 outback wagon LL Bean. He liked so much he bought it. Yes it does not have all of the techno stuff the TL has but it is a good compromise and gives the cargo space of an SUV that the TL could not do. Not having the nav in the subu is no big deal since if it is needed we take the TL. The H6 motor has 250 Hp and 219 ft lb so it will move. Subaru was not even on the radar screen as we had no idea that they made something this nice.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cljw
Not having the nav in the subu is no big deal since if it is needed we take the TL.
what if your roomate gets lost in the subaru?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Banned

ITs a very nice car without a doubt and subarus are reliable. Unfortunately their AWD makes them very pricey. As all of you have noted the legacy is a car that competes with the Accord but costs as much as a TL. That is fine if AWD is essential to you but simply unacceptable if all you require is an excellent family sedan. Comparing the Subaru to the TL is pointless since the subaru is definitely lower in the totem pole. If Subaru came out with another model decked to the hilt in luxo goodies then a comparison would be appropriate. The TL is a fancy accord, but one drive will convince you that they have a completely different character as far as luxury and performance are concerned. Its interesting how little things add up to a lot!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
1 day, move to General Talk, Cars and Bikes.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Banned

BTW a little trivia, Subaru is a subsidiary of Fuji industries one of the largest corporations in Japan. Unfortunately for Subaru they are just a sideline company for a corporation that produces machine tools to aircraft, honda on the other hand is an engine company only. Like SAAB, making jets does not necessarily translate into a better car!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Type S personality

I have tested the GT Sedan and Wagon, auto and manual. Also tried the TL, TSX, G35C, Mazda6.

Looks: TL, G35, GT, M6, TSX.
The TL is nice inside and out. TSX bland but nice, G35 is sleek. The GT is nice, not really a head turner.

Toys: TL, TSX, G35, GT, M6.
TL has loads of toys, and does the TSX. GT missing nav, HID, homelink, memory seats, steering wheel stereo controls + other stuff.

Handling: G35C, GT, TL, TSX, M6.
The first two are above the next 3 cuz they are RWD and AWD respectively. The two groupings are pretty close and would have to be driven again to tell the difference. When I tried the G35 the guy told me to step on in going into a turn when I was at 60 miles. Tried some sharp turns in the GT and it put a smile on my face as well. The FWDs do handle well, but of course not as tossable.

Power: G35C, GT, TL, M6, TSX.
The TSX has enough power for most, but some would want more. The first 3 are sub 6.0sec 0-60, if thats what you are looking for.

Price is definitely a factor, and knowing that my choice would be GT, TL, TSX, G35C, M6.
IF price wasn't a factor I would move the G35C up. The TL and GT were my final two choices. Wanted more juice than the TSX. Didn't like the Mazda resale and FORD set up. The G35C is hot but I could use more room and it was too much $$$.

TL vs GT. One is FWD, one AWD. One is a luxury sedan, one is more of a fun car that made improvement inside and out. If you like to toss your car, and don't need all the nice features, the GT would be the one. My guess is most passengers would prefer the TL because it's more roomy, has loads of features, nice looking etc. Driving the car they behave differently. I had problem with the clutch. The TL's stick is nice, just like any Honda products. The TL stereo is way better.
I am leaning toward the GT cuz I want the AWD handling and performance. With that, I sacrifice HID, homelink, nice stereo, steering wheel controls, memory seats, blue tooth, etc.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Racer

GM has too much of a hand in Subaru for my liking. I've owned too many GMs to ever go back. I know that sounds kind of stupid, but it's one of those things I think of when looking at cars. Plus, I don't like turbos - great for cheap speed, but you don't see them on many luxury models for a reason (typical not smooth). That being said, if I was about 10 years younger an looking for something cheap and fast, I'd be shopping Subaru. The Legacy doesn't really play into that, bu tthat's my take. I have to say, I don't really understand Subaru's marketing plan - especially with that super-fast Forester thing...

Enough ranting...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Photoshop Guru

I test drove the Legacy and then drove in a Car and Driver event in dallas!
We tested the BMW325i, Volvo S60 and the Subaru Legacy GT Limited... all were compared for their similar price point... and the fact they are thought to be tops in safety (Volvo), and the ultimate driving experience (BMW).

The Subi' beat the others in every category.. 0-60, slalom, uncontrolled braking (sand on track)....they didn't let you know it was a subaru event until the very end.. when you entered a hidden tent, and it was Subi' execs fro Colorado.. they were very interested in what you had to say.. the guy actually started writing things down that I mentioned.. like the rear end looking like a 90s Altima rear. I mentioned the lack of Xenons.. how I love the red interior lighting, how the turbo lag is decent (sucks but not too bad) and the general look of the car was great. AND, if you go to http://www.hotsubaru.com you can see the potential to build the car up to compete next to the WRX STi!

Yes, the new Subi' is a BIG contender! In line with Acura, Nissan BMW etc.. the interior was nice, the gauges were excellent! I am considering one! How can you go wrong with a AWD turbo.. YES!! They sell for low $30k loaded.. in most areas.. that's a heck of a car for well thought of price! Look out competition!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

The main reason I did not consider the new subie.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat...side/s0411.htm

So much for Subaru safety.

Also, no 6-speed option(only the 5-speed).
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
moving to the proper forum
Old 08-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Subaru Outback is truly the Ultimate second car. It's been called the "Swiss Army Knife" of automobiles for a good reason. We bought our first Outback for my wife 8 years ago and she never wants to be without one again. Seems very silly to me to buy a Ford exploder or Chevy submoron when you can actually have something much more pleasant to own and drive that uses a LOT less gas.

As far as resale value goes, just try to buy a clean Outback with fewer that 100k miles and see what you have to pay. Our total mechanical troubles in eight years=ummm, zero.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Photoshop Guru

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
BTW a little trivia, Subaru is a subsidiary of Fuji industries one of the largest corporations in Japan. Unfortunately for Subaru they are just a sideline company for a corporation that produces machine tools to aircraft, honda on the other hand is an engine company only. Like SAAB, making jets does not necessarily translate into a better car!
C'mon, don't you recall how BMW got started????? or maybe Rolls Royce?
Old 08-27-2004, 07:02 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was seriously considering waiting for the 05 Outbacks to come out before getting the TL. The main thing that stopped me was my '97 Outback wagon was on it's last legs (long engine problem story that is more than partly my fault). This was in March and I wasn't able to wait until June and wasn't sure I wanted another Subi after that experience. That said, there are plenty of times I miss the Outback - like every time my GF does something in the TL that could damage it, though we have been lucky so far.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Instructor

I seriously considered an 05 Legacy GT until I checked our local BBB for ratings on the dealers.
Only 1 of the three were listed and they had 19 complaints in the last 36 months for a wide range of reasons. The Hyundai dealer where my wife purchased her car had only 3 complaints and the Acura dealer where I purchased my current TL had only 2. Bottom line, looks like I am going to get an 05 TL.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:15 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Oh and by the way.....If you mod your subaru your warranty will be revoked! Subaru has a team of workers finding track pics, pics from forums, car web sites, etc.... tracking down the owners and voiding their warranty wiithout even talking to them. You find out when you go to the dealership and they put your VIN into the computer " Sorry it says here your warranty is vioded...tuff luck!"
Old 09-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
High-performance Legacy 3.0R spec B unveiled - - - Posted by: kak on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 10:57 AM CET - - Source: kak.net
Old 09-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The B4's nose looks absolutely fantastic!
Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

... price ain't to bad either.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
could be my next car.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:58 PM

Looking good!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey, that looks real good. R quad exhausts necessary though?
it's annoying, but everyone is doing it these days. this car has 245 hp. No, it doesn't need quad dual exhaust.. in fact, ONE tip would be enough if routed correctly - but I guess one tip is too boring for today's consumers. To me it's such a fad... I mean this is the stuff Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and other exotics are famed for... it's just not needed in the vast majority of cars. The MB AMG models, fine I'll let em have quad dual's since at least they have upwards of ~500hp. But come on, 245hp? 275hp for the Passat W8?? 340hp for the new S4?

Sad part is - name the car company that used to do unecessary dual exhausts in the early 90's... PONTIAC - they still do.

oh yeah I am liking the Legacy Type B Vspec Sti-R Vtec.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by srika
it's annoying, but everyone is doing it these days. this car has 245 hp. No, it doesn't need quad dual exhaust.. in fact, ONE tip would be enough if routed correctly - but I guess one tip is too boring for today's consumers. To me it's such a fad... I mean this is the stuff Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and other exotics are famed for... it's just not needed in the vast majority of cars. The MB AMG models, fine I'll let em have quad dual's since at least they have upwards of ~500hp. But come on, 245hp? 275hp for the Passat W8?? 340hp for the new S4?

Sad part is - name the car company that used to do unecessary dual exhausts in the early 90's... PONTIAC - they still do.

oh yeah I am liking the Legacy Type B Vspec Sti-R Vtec.
Thank goodnees someone agrees. The 04 Maxima has quads. WTF? Ha, yes the 175hp Quad 4 Grand Am GT did have quads (with the whole lame line).
And I see these giant duals, and the cars have NO performance or baby performance. Or they have duals but the exhaust runs through only one side.

Quads are the worst. You go to running some serious power to have quads, IMO.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
the red one just has duals. looks better.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

hotness
Old 10-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Comptech Freak

the new legacy GT is way overpriced...for 30000 US

250hp is powerful, but not much faster than the TSX or not faster than the TL

fuel econ is only 17/19, horrible for hwy

unless there's a 300hp STi version, or else it's not too attractive
Old 10-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tasdisr
I seriously considered an 05 Legacy GT until I checked our local BBB for ratings on the dealers.
Only 1 of the three were listed and they had 19 complaints in the last 36 months for a wide range of reasons. The Hyundai dealer where my wife purchased her car had only 3 complaints and the Acura dealer where I purchased my current TL had only 2. Bottom line, looks like I am going to get an 05 TL.
How ironic, we bought my wife's Outback in Cincy because the Louisville area dealers sucked so bad.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by samkws
the new legacy GT is way overpriced...for 30000 US

250hp is powerful, but not much faster than the TSX or not faster than the TL

fuel econ is only 17/19, horrible for hwy

unless there's a 300hp STi version, or else it's not too attractive
Legacy GT is much faster then a TSX and is a driver race against the TL in the 1/4 mile. In C&D they got it to do 0-60 in 5.7s and the 1/4 mile in 14.2s. And it basically has the same engine has the STI but with a smaller turbo, smaller intercooler, different cams etc. Spend on a few mods like a boost controller, 3" downpipe, exhaust, and CAI. And it will be even quicker.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Legacy GT is much faster then a TSX and is a driver race against the TL in the 1/4 mile. In C&D they got it to do 0-60 in 5.7s and the 1/4 mile in 14.2s. And it basically has the same engine has the STI but with a smaller turbo, smaller intercooler, different cams etc. Spend on a few mods like a boost controller, 3" downpipe, exhaust, and CAI. And it will be even quicker.

i saw 6.5 in R&T or sth like that??
Old 10-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Drifting

In R&T it was 0-60 in 5.6s.

http://roadandtrack.com/assets/downl...ura_subaru.pdf
Old 12-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2005 Subaru Legacy Blitzen Concept

http://www.subaru.co.jp/blitzen2005/

Quick Reply: Subaru: Legacy News