Subaru: Impreza News

Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Subaru needs to get off their a$$ and give the STi some updated performance. 290lbft and 305hp was great back in 2004.

I'm not saying the car necessarily needs any more power, but, the engine and drivetrain haven't changed all that much in like a decade. Small additions and tweaks, here and there, but still more or less the same everything. a 2.5T should be pushing closer to 350hp with ease... especially after an intake/exhaust improvement, stronger internals and retune. The current power levels are easily attained with a 2.0T... which was the case over in Japan... No idea why they upped the STI here to 2.5L.

That, and the STi seems to rank fairly low when compared to other cars in it's segment, in terms of performance. They need to step it up a bit.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Well I still want one
Old 05-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

why not go with a Golf R? or CTR? or Focus RS?
RPhilMan1 (05-29-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
WRX is a much better buy than STI at this point.
Especially WRX has STI's widebody and 6mt (instead of the old 5mt from previous gen) and quad exhaust already. a simple tune will get you to STi level without any issue.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
why not go with a Golf R? or CTR? or Focus RS?
because i don't like the look of them?
Old 05-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Team Owner

Fair enough. Even the Golf? That thing is classy AF.

The CTR is a turd in the looks department... I don't mind the RS, but I have many other quips about that car.

Truth be told, I really like the look of the current STi/WRX. I just wish there was more reason to buy one over an older one, other than simply looks.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Unlike many of my friends, I love the way the current WRX and STI look.

They really need to move on from that dinosaur EJ though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
kurtatx (05-30-2018), Mizouse (05-25-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:58 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
I much preferred the hatchback form and I miss having that option.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/04/...ook-a-bit-blu/

2019 Subaru WRX and WRX STI Series.Gray revealed, look a bit blue

750 will be WRX, 250 will be WRX STI
Subaru mentioned that it would make special Series.Gray versions of its WRX sports sedans, but it wasn't until now that the company showed what the special cars actually look like. The 2019 Subaru WRX Series.Gray and WRX STI Series.Gray cars are certainly less bold than some of their predecessors, such as the Series.HyperBlue models. But their Cool Gray Khaki is still a sharp color, one that actually looks a little blue in the right light. And if it looks familiar, that's because it is. The same color is available on the Crosstrek.

In addition to the gray paint, the cars come with black badges and black wheels, while the WRX STI gets silver-painted Brembo brake calipers. It's not just cosmetic additions, however. The WRX gets the optional Performance Package as standard, it loses the power sunroof, and it picks up some Jurid front brake pads. The STI gets some performance enhancement, too, in the form a sportier Bilstein suspension setup. Inside, both cars come with Ultrasuede Recaro seats, with driver power adjustment, along with adaptive LED headlights, LED foglights and keyless start. The STI gets an Ultrasuede steering wheel, too.

Complete pricing with destination charges for the WRX Series.Gray starts at $33,455 and $40,555 for the WRX STI. You'll also need to act quickly. Only 750 of the WRX and 250 of the WRX STI will be available. The cars go on sale this fall.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/23/...pe-ra-r-japan/

Japan keeps the best Type RA for itself

Subaru is releasing yet another special high performance WRX STI that's only for its home, Japan. This time it's a variant of the WRX STI Type RA called the Type RA-R. Though it looks very similar to the version we get in the U.S., it has some key differences. Instead of the 310-horsepower 2.5-liter four-cylinder in ours, the RA-R has a 324-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder. It also produces 318 pound-feet of torque, a fair bit more than the 290 of ours.

The Type RA-R also boasts additional weight savings. The company says it's about 66 pounds lighter than the WRX STI S208, another special STI similar to our Type RA. That model was already lightened thanks to a carbon fiber roof among other additions. Interestingly, the Type RA-R doesn't appear to have the Bilstein suspension of the S208 or the U.S. Type RA. It does still have Brembo brakes front and rear, though, with six-piston calipers up front and two-piston calipers in the back.

Visually the Type RA-R looks fairly similar to its other special edition siblings. It has the extra "Cherry Blossom" red accents in the grille and the rear diffuser. It does have the option to go without the giant rear wing, though, for people who want the performance without shouting about it. The wheels are also downsized from 19 inches on the S208 and U.S.-spec Type RA to 18 inches.

Unsurprisingly, this is a very limited edition vehicle. Only 500 will be sold, just like the U.S. Type RA. That is 50 more than the S208, though. The price before taxes is, at current exchange rates, about $41,500. Interestingly, that's a lower price than the American model. Of course it doesn't really matter because, as we already said, this car is for Japan only.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I think they can do a lot better on the engine performance numbers. I love the WRX/STI but with its outdated performance I am surprised they are still able to sell them like they do.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:39 AM

Would be nice
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
I think they can do a lot better on the engine performance numbers. I love the WRX/STI but with its outdated performance I am surprised they are still able to sell them like they do.
Yeah, I don't know how much longer they are going to milk the old EJ.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 AM

The SA-R uses a 2.0T, not the 2.5T & gets more power than the USDM 2.5T.

Maybe a peek at the next-gen STi?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Team Owner

Nope. The JDM STi has been using a 2.0T forever, now. Since it's a JDM market only car, it's sticking to the JDM engine.
00TL-P3.2 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

I was just thinking to myself the other day how I never see any third generation GR hatchbacks anymore. Did they not last that long? Did owners dump them? I miss seeing hatchbacks.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM

https://www.motor1.com/news/262449/s...der-bodacious/

There’s an all-new Subaru WRX coming our way for the 2020 model year. We’ve already had something of a preview with the Viziv Performance STI concept we saw at the beginning of this year at the Tokyo Auto Salon. That car is actually a tweaked version of the Viziv Performance concept that dropped our jaws way back in October of last year, and though it’s officially a concept car, Subaru has given us all kinds of hints that the design is a strong indication of where the next-generation rally-bred racer is headed.

We’re not content to simply wait for 2020 to get here already, so our friends at Automedia conjured up this rendering of what the next-gen WRX STI might look like. Granted there’s already plenty of detail to see on the real-life Viziv Performance STI concept, but a few notable details help bring this rendering closer to the real world. For starters, the headlights take on more of a production look, as do the side mirrors which replace ultra-thin units on the concept. The concept’s body kit is also slightly less bulky and aggressive, and of course it’s dressed in a proper shade of World Rally Blue.

The rendering gives us a taste of how the next STI might look, but what do we know about performance? Not much at this point, but Subaru has given us some unofficial teasers to ponder. For starters, the engine will likely drop in size to 2.0 liters and get electric help in a new high-performance hybrid layout. Such things might be cause for concern among STI purists, but Subaru has also told us a manual transmission will be sticking around for the rally hero, not to mention all-wheel drive.

That means the 2019 WRX STI – the sendoff model for the current generation – could be the last gasoline-only Subie to wear an STI badge. It looks fantastic, and the 310-horsepower (231-kilowatt) turbocharged boxer four-cylinder means it’s no slouch by any means. If this render is an indication of what’s to come – not to mention the prospect of considerably more power in a hybrid AWD platform – the STI’s future should be in good hands.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:05 PM

Another wild Impreza/WRX concept that will look nothing like this in production form?
RPhilMan1 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:45 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

NSX tails, ISF exhaust, Type-R red accents... overall ridiculous.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:06 PM

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/20...just-cannucks/

Subaru’s been known to roll out special editions of its WRXfrom time to time. Some never make it out of the Japanese Domestic Market, but others do.

This one, however, is limited exclusively to Canada – and it’s the first such special edition to be offered for our neighbors to the north in over 15 years.

It’s called the Raiu edition, drawing its handle not from the Street Fighter character, but from the Japanese word for “thunderstorm” (after which the fictional martial artist was presumably named as well). It’s based on the WRX sedan (in non-STI guise), and upgrades basically include trim enhancements.

For starters, it comes exclusively in Cool Grey Khaki, offset by blacked-out door mirrors, shark-fin antenna, and badging. It also gets a smattering of STI components, including ground-effect aero pieces all around and a short-throw shifter.

Based on the Sport-Tech RS trim means it packs Recaro buckets, ultrasuede upholstery, Jurid front brake pads, red-painted calipers, and a seven-inch infotainment screen and nine-speaker Harman Kardon audio system. All of which paints an overall picture rather similar to the Series.Gray editionannounced for the US market a few months ago.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged boxer four’s output remains unchanged at 268 horsepower (200 kW) and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque, driving all four wheels through a six-speed manual transmission.

Only 100 examples will be offered through Subaru Canada’s 93 dealers. Each carries a price tag of $40,995, or $43,020.50 delivered (in Canadian dollars), which works out to little over $31/33k in American greenbacks. That may seem like a steep premium over the $29,995 (CAD) sticker price on a base WRX in Canada, but works out to just $2k more than the WRX Sport-Tech RS on which it’s based.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/17/...drivers-notes/

The 2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA is a limited-edition version of the Japanese automaker's iconic rally-derived sports coupe. Only 500 units are headed to America, and, with a price tag just shy of $50,000, every single one is likely to be scooped up by true Subaru enthusiasts. The RA moniker stands for record attempt. The STI lapped the Nürburgring in fewer than seven minutes.

The Type RA differs from the regular model in a few ways, most notably the lightweight and adjustable carbon-fiber rear wing. The car also uses carbon fiber on the roof to lower the center-of-gravity. Other changes include a 5-horsepower bump, 19-inch BBS wheels, Bilstein dampers and a few changes to interior and exterior trim. It doesn't transform so much as refine an already hot product.

Editor-in-Chief Greg Migliore: Rock-solid chassis. Hair-trigger clutch. Tight chassis. Heavy steering. Black coffee. No need for solid foods. This was my lunch on a gray Thursday as I whipped up and down Woodward Avenue in the Subaru WRX STI Type RA. It's a riot. This thing sounds like a hooligan and most of the time behaves like one, too. I spent a lot of time in second and third gears with the revs around 5,000, just because. Need to slow things down? The brakes are spot-on, with quick bite and little pedal travel. The seats are supportive and nicely bolstered. It's a little harsh at lower speeds — something I noticed as I cruised through the verdant Cranbrook campus in metro Detroit.

So yeah, I like the STI. This one, done up in RA trim, is a limited-edition model with a carbon wing and roof. It's lighter and has five more horsepower. If you love the STI and the RA (for Record Attempt) has meaning to you, sure, try to get one of these unicorns. Only 500 will be made and they are not cheap — ours is 50 grand. Otherwise, just buy a regular STI. Or if it were me, a WRX. Still, I can see the allure of this rare Subaru. Parting shot: this car also reminds me how much fun sedans are.Senior Editor, Green, John Beltz Snyder: The Subaru STI is a riot to drive, and as a recently reformed WRX owner, it feels familiar every time I get in it. Such is the case with the Type RA, which I also had the pleasure of driving at the track at Thermal Club in California. It the real world, it's still fun. But overall, I'd not spend the extra money for the Type RA.

This time around, I was driving in traffic on public roads, including highway traffic jams and some long country sweepers. The weight discipline makes a palpable difference in the way this car hugs the road. The wing, not so much. Everything about this car is taut and tense, from the suspension to the clutch pedal to the short throws of the shifter and the steering. It makes it entertaining, but it's a bit of a workout. In traffic, my left leg started to cramp after working the clutch for an hour. There's a lot of noise, especially at highway speeds where the car cruises with the tach needle pointing due north. I arrived home a bit more exhausted than usual.

Manager, Production, Eddie Sabatini: This special edition Subie is a LOT of fun to drive. Rugged and powerful, I really felt like it wanted to play rough. I'm not convinced that the extra $12,000+ make the limited-production RA that much better to drive than the classic STI, but they're only making 500 of these so don't worry about having to make that decision. I like this carbon fiber wing of the RA better than the STI but the infotainment system still needs an upgrade. I was also expecting to be smacked in the face with a ton of STI and RA badging - inside and out - but the branding seemed surprisingly restrained for being the beast at the top end of the WRX spectrum.

Overall I think the look is fantastic. I tend to think that the STI is a bit too juvenile looking but I didn't find myself thinking that with the RA. Perhaps it was the gray carbon fiber roof, black mirror, and slimmer spoiler that create a more subtle profile?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

I hope the production car looks NOTHING like the concept, cuz it makes the CTR looks mature and professional.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
I hope the production car looks NOTHING like the concept, cuz it makes the CTR looks mature and professional.
I love it, considering it's a concept. Production will probably be 60% as outlandish as that. dem thicc fender bulges tho

Carbon fender flares on the other hand... don't give the rocket bunny kids new ideas. I don't like it because visually, it makes it look almost crossover-like.

Also, I'm still baffled as to why Japan gets the updated and more powerful turbo'd FA20 in their STI as opposed to the prehistoric EJ in the USDM STI. That engine alone prevents me from ever buying the current gen STI, as much as I like it.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Japan always keep the best stuff to themselves.... not just car... pretty much in everything. You would be amazed the type of shit they have there that they dont export.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Costco
I love it, considering it's a concept. Production will probably be 60% as outlandish as that. dem thicc fender bulges tho

Carbon fender flares on the other hand... don't give the rocket bunny kids new ideas. I don't like it because visually, it makes it look almost crossover-like.

Also, I'm still baffled as to why Japan gets the updated and more powerful turbo'd FA20 in their STI as opposed to the prehistoric EJ in the USDM STI. That engine alone prevents me from ever buying the current gen STI, as much as I like it.
i still want the STI
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

WRX is a much better buy at this point... it looks 90% the same and take little to make it perform at the same level as STI and save yourself 10k or so.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM

Doesn't the STI come with more goodies and creature comfort stuff?

id pay extra for those
Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Comparing the current WRX Limited ($32k) to the STI Limited ($42k)

2.0T vs 2.5T
268/258 vs 310/290 HP/Tqe
Variable AWD vs DCCD
27/21 vs 22/17 MPG
18" vs 19" wheels
Standard vs Recaro seats
CVT available vs 6MT only
Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Looks like the Recaros are available on the WRX Premium, but not the Limited
Old 09-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Doesn't the STI come with more goodies and creature comfort stuff?

id pay extra for those
​​​​
STI will handle better than a WRX too.
Mizouse (11-15-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Team Owner

Obviously there is a difference but the price gap and performance gap are not proportionate.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 AM

https://jalopnik.com/the-349-hp-sout...sti-1830448408

The Subaru WRX STI is already fast, but the new limited Subaru WRX STI Diamond Edition is even faster, developed by the automaker’s South Africa team to boast almost 50 more horsepower than the car we get in America.

The 2018 Diamond Edition is limited to just 30 cars for sale to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the company behind the STI moniker, Subaru Technica International.

It’s meant to be the diamond of the global WRX lineup, with 349 horsepower and 342 lb-ft or torque, compared to the American STI’s 310 hp and 290 lb-ft. Beyond just being the most powerful STI available to the public, the Diamond Edition also gets upgraded Brembo brakes and some nice neon yellow-green accent pieces along the lower bumpers and rocker panels.

Otherwise it just looks like any other STI, but I’m sure it goes like no other. It’d be nice if Subaru of America made it a challenge and showed up with something better.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:41 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Okay, I can dig the color of the brakes but who the hell wants those silly accent pieces?
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

And why only 30 being made? FFS Subaru.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Then again instead of bumping up the power in this old engine, I'll take a new engine first.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Japan gets the turbo FA20 putting out 310 hp, but we are stuck with the ancient EJ.
RPhilMan1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 01:29 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Oh, dang.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Japan gets the turbo FA20 putting out 310 hp, but we are stuck with the ancient EJ.

pics?
Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Ex-OEM King

I don't think this is true. The STI uses the same EJ for all markets in some varying states of tune. The FA is in the normal WRX.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Okay, I can dig the color of the brakes but who the hell wants those silly accent pieces?
You can get the same color calipers on any STI these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subaru: Impreza News