Shifting Gears: The changing world of auto[mobile] transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Shifting Gears: The changing world of auto[mobile] transmissions

http://www.leftlanenews.com/shifting...smissions.html

Probably since the invention of the automatic transmission, no reviewer worth his or her salt could admit that they didn’t prefer a manual transmission. When we’re reviewing a car, like a Jaguar XKR, for example, that doesn’t offer a stick shift, we have to say that we’re sorry this car doesn’t allow us to row our own or someone might threaten to revoke our gearhead credentials. But in our view, this old way of thinking — which continues to be inherited by young car enthusiasts — is arguably ludditic and without much merit.

When reviewing the 20 or so cars that I drove over the recent two-day Western Automotive Journalists media test event in Monterey, California, what came through very clearly was the extent to which transmissions have changed and improved in the past few years.

When I started driving, things were much simpler. It was absolutely essential to learn how to use a clutch and be able to change gears smoothly to prove you were a real driver. If the car you were driving didn’t have “four on the floor,” it just wasn’t cool. An automatic transmissions was something that your mother and father preferred for the family’s Oldsmobile station wagon.

There were certainly some good reasons to prefer a manual transmission for driving performance: In order to provide smooth gear changes without a clutch, the automatic transmission relied on a torque converter (essentially two propellers with fluid between them) to transfer power from the engine to the wheels, which was inherently inefficient. Until very recently, automatics had only two gears, so much of the time the engine was able to use only a fraction of the torque it was capable of generating. Finally, relying on valves and hydraulics to change gears, the automatic was slow when changing ratios and often chose to change gears at an awkward moment.

Sure, there were some problems with the standard transmission: it was challenging to learn to use, requiring finesse to release and engage the clutch while shifting gears and delivering exactly the right amount of throttle through the process. Races frequently were lost because a driver made a mistake in this process on just one of the thousand or more precise gear changes required during a long race. On the street, as traffic became more congested, the need to push and release the clutch frequently in stop-and-go situations was hard on both the car and driver.

But, bottom line, it was more efficient than the automatic in transferring power and allowing the engine to run within its optimal power range, it was lighter, and in the hands of a good driver, was able to change gears considerably faster than the automatic.

But things are changing more rapidly than I think many enthusiasts would like to admit. At Laguna Seca, the high-performance luxury cars we were driving were invariably equipped with automatic transmissions for the simple reason that the manufacturers say that there’s almost no demand for manual transmissions on say, a Maserati or high-end Mercedes. However, the improvements that have been made over the past five years have tackled all of the problems inherent in the old “slush boxes” and significant progress is being made.

Though all the cars we were driving still employed torque converters, manufacturers have found various ways to make positive clutch-like connections at certain engine speeds to improve efficiency. In what is likely to be a more effective long-term solution, Mercedes has just announced that it will be replacing the torque converter with a multi-plate wet clutch on AMG models, similar to Volkswagens much-praised DSG. Without a doubt, we can expect to see that technology start trickling down through the price chain — almost every automaker is working on some form of automated dual-clutch transmission.

To improve the efficient use of the the engine’s power band, modern automatics now offer five to eight separate gear ratios, with the Maserati tranny offering seven, so the efficiency issue is also pretty much a thing of the past.

It has generally been possible to control the gear ratio in an automatic transmission in some manner under specific conditions (forcing the car to start in its highest gear in icy conditions, or to stay in its lowest gear to use engine braking in a long hill descent, for example). Now, with the additional gears and the incorporation of paddles or buttons for transmission control, as inspired by open-wheel racing, nearly every “performance automobile” from the Maserati to the MINI offers a means to manually control what gear is being used.

In addition, as computer controls get more sophisticated, many of these cars offer adaptive or manual adjustments to the speed at which the shift occurs, and many can actually blip the throttle on downshifts to match rpm, increasing the speed, smoothness and efficiency of the gear changes.

While most drivers play with these “slappy paddles” for awhile and then go back to leaving the car in the full automatic mode, the controls are very useful for track driving, where you want to be able to make sure the car not only is in the proper gear to go into a corner, but also doesn’t decide to upshift just at the point you want to accelerate out of the corner.

The combination of all these changes means that automatic transmissions in the better cars are becoming nearly as efficient in performance and nearly as satisfying in use as manual transmissions for the even-slightly-above-average driver’s needs and desires. This isn't just a matter of opinion — some of Porsche's Tiptronic models are actually faster than their manual counterparts with even an above-average driver behind the wheel.

On the other side of the parking lot, the technology in those electronically controlled competition transmissions has also started trickling into everyday use. These new automatic manual gear boxes are replace the clutching and rev-matching aspects of the manual transmission with computer-controlled hydraulics while retaining the inherent efficiencies of the traditional clutch.

BMW was one of the first to introduce a sequential-manual gearbox (SMG), which used an electronically controlled clutch to replace the manual clutch and gear shift in its "M" cars. Unfortunately, though as efficient in energy transmission, it was not as fast as a manual clutch or as smooth as automatic.

On the other hand, Audi and Volkswagen took a different approach, which looks as if it is going to be a long-term solution to the problem. By using a dual-clutch system with one clutch for the even-numbered and one for the odd-numbered gears, their system allows one gear ratio to be in use with its clutch engaged while the next likely gear ratio is being selected with its clutch disengaged. When the driver is ready for the next ratio, a push or pull of the paddle causes the clutches to disengage and engage simultaneously, changing gear ratios within a fraction of a second.

This approach is now being developed by BMW for the new M3, and will be a standard offering in Porsche, Nissan, Volvo, and Mitsubishi cars in the near future. It doesn’t require much of a crystal ball to foresee that within five years, every manufacturer offering a “sport” anything – compact, sedan, or activity vehicle – will have to offer this type of dual-clutch gearbox to stay competitive.

So where does all that lead us? With my flame-retardant underwear on, I’d suggest that we’ll be seeing improved automatic transmissions, with positive engagement capabilities, in 80 percent or more of all cars sold.

I believe that for for two reasons. First, for most of us and most of our driving, we believe we have better things to do with our hands and minds than controlling the gear we’re in every second that we’re driving, so automatics will be preferred by more and more drivers. It’s just really tough to shift gears while holding that latté and simultaneously checking text messages.

Second, greater efficiency will be necessary on automatic transmission cars if manufacturers are going to meet the new average fuel efficiency standards, so anything that improves power transmission is going to be adopted.

Similarly, I believe that on high-performance automobiles where every second and ounce counts, within five years or so electronically-actuated dual-clutch manual transmissions will be more desirable than manual transmissions by any high-performance driver. Any manufacturer who doesn’t offer a dual-clutch manual as the alternative to the automatic tansmission won’t be considered to be competitive.

By that time, clutch-operated manual transmissions will be on their way out as sure as the manually-controlled spark advance was once made obsolete by springs and vacuum-advance, and then all of that was replaced by computerized ignition controls.

I’m sure when that happens, many current enthusiasts will talk nostalgically about the days when they did their own declutching and shifted gears by manually pushing them into place, just as my older friends now talk about having had to master the skill of shifting a non-synchronized crash box. By then, the skill to use a manual gear box will only matter to a handful of unreconstructed vintage car racing drivers.

And let's not forget that often-quoted adage that every technology becomes perfected just as it becomes obsolete. Mercedes certainly learned to perfect the torque-converter-based automatic, and now it's being phased out. As for DSG, it could well be the transmission technology of choice for decades to come, but if electric cars eventually catch on — as they probably will — this whole discussion might be made moot. It only takes a few minutes behind the wheel of a Tesla Roadster (with its electric motor and two-speed transmission) to be convinced where things are headed next.

Words by Gary Anderson
Cliffs: clutch pedal.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
thanks to many top end racing programs like F1, DTM and LeMans...they developed the SMG/Auto transmissions to work better than the manual.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ that guy wrote all that just to say newer auto trannys and the like (SMG, DSG, DCT, etc.) are going to be more effecient than manuals soon
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Cliffs: clutch pedal.
The writing was on the wall years ago, but nobody wanted to accept/believe it when I pointed it out.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by chill_dog
The writing was on the wall years ago, but nobody wanted to accept/believe it when I pointed it out.
lol.

The Oracle.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
A manual transmission is more engaging/fun period. People keep saying they will go away but the demand is still there so they'll be here for a while thank god.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by dom
lol.

The Oracle.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Race Director

That's because they like driving a manual. If people like something they will buy it. And don't think just because someone wrote an article saying this is going to happen that it's proof that it will.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by zeroday
A manual transmission is more engaging/fun period. People keep saying they will go away but the demand is still there so they'll be here for a while thank god.

How long is awhile?

Once the Ferrari's and Porches of the world deem it obsolete you can bet your ass so will everyone else. IMO we're not too far away (10-20 years) from seeing that happening. If sales are less than 10-15% you can kiss the MT goodbye.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
How long is awhile?

Once the Ferrari's and Porches of the world deem it obsolete you can bet your ass so will everyone else. IMO we're not too far away (10-20 years) from seeing that happening. If sales are less than 10-15% you can kiss the MT goodbye.
Oh I have no doubt that the sheep of the world will ruin it for manual transmission lovers due to the stupid reasons you mentioned. I just hope it isn't soon since i'd have to start buying used cars.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
How long is awhile?

:ibHondawillbethelastcarcompanytoditchtheclutch:
Old 05-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
While im a huge manual lover (i swapped a 6 speed into my TL) i would take a F1 style trans like in the ferrari hands down any day over a true manual. For its design and where i like to use it its far better. Dont give me the crap that every one is passing off as something like it like the SS mode my TL had. that was a joke.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
That's because they like driving a manual. If people like something they will buy it. And don't think just because someone wrote an article saying this is going to happen that it's proof that it will.
+1 Detroit has been trying to kill the MT for 30 years. You can call it anything you want but anything without a true foot operated clutch is just another automatic. As the writer pointed out few people ever use a DSG, or SMG or any other tranny with a "manual" mode in manual mode. Americans in general are just too lazy to do their own rowing (even if it's a paddle at their fingertips) and the market reflects that. But that doesn't mean the few who enjoy rowing their own gears won't have some makers satisfy that niche. This has nothing to do with performance or efficiency - MTs lost that lead a long time ago.

There will probably never come a point where any kind of tranny will be simpler or cheaper (its rarity might drive prices up) than an MT - for that reason alone we'll have MTs for a long time.

Having said that, I can see way down the road when electric cars rule the road trannies won't be an issue since there won't be any - the electric motors will be attached directly to the wheels.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
<- MT lifer
Old 05-22-2008, 06:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
clutch FTW
Old 05-23-2008, 03:01 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
+1 Detroit has been trying to kill the MT for 30 years. You can call it anything you want but anything without a true foot operated clutch is just another automatic. As the writer pointed out few people ever use a DSG, or SMG or any other tranny with a "manual" mode in manual mode. Americans in general are just too lazy to do their own rowing (even if it's a paddle at their fingertips) and the market reflects that. But that doesn't mean the few who enjoy rowing their own gears won't have some makers satisfy that niche. This has nothing to do with performance or efficiency - MTs lost that lead a long time ago.

There will probably never come a point where any kind of tranny will be simpler or cheaper (its rarity might drive prices up) than an MT - for that reason alone we'll have MTs for a long time.

Having said that, I can see way down the road when electric cars rule the road trannies won't be an issue since there won't be any - the electric motors will be attached directly to the wheels.

I will own/drive a manual transmission car for as long as its *knock on wood* possible for me to. I've never cared that F1-style multi-clutch auto trannies take fractions of milliseconds to change gear.... they just aren't as fulfilling to drive. Its more than just changing gears fast or keeping it in gear.

I think if the entire U.S. had mostly manual transmission cars... I'm talking an entire flip-flop of the numbers of auto vs. manual tranny cars, then more people would prefer a manual. Simply because they're more used to it. On another forum I look at once in a while (pistonheads), a common trend of thought among the European drivers is "why would you want to drive an automatic" instead of "why would you want to drive a manual?"

Brand new cars off the lot, hypothetically assuming that I pay $0 for either car for ANYTHING (payments, insurance, gas, etc.) and regardless of features, I would prefer a 2007 AV6 6MT over a 2007 TL-S 5AT every single time. And I'll add that I prefer the looks of the TL/TL-S much more, just for good measure....

I could care less that I'm a very, very small percentile of the market and that segment is shrinking, or not growing much at least. but the fact remains that automatic-transmission only cars simply aren't on my list at all and there's no reason for them to be.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

I know that's why they said it. But you can't let love blind you to reality. As dom noted and you acknowledged, they will go away. If I gave the impression I thought it would happen over night, I apologize...if I were to venture a guess, I'd say twenty years. Even then, I'm sure there will still be options, just not from the major manufacturers.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
I If I gave the impression I thought it would happen over night, I apologize...if I were to venture a guess, I'd say twenty years.
That far out who knows what cars will have - heck the internal combustion engine will be on its way out (which I'm sure will please Algore)
Old 05-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

^Very true. Maybe we'll finally have those flying cars they always talked about in the "Cars of Tomorrow" episodes in the old Looney Toons cartoons.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Back in the old days, manual transmissions were common on cars with small-displacement engines because (1) manual tranny came standard on the base cars and auto tranny was a costly option, (2) the low tech auto trannies were inefficient and robbed a lot of power.

Nowadays, auto tranny comes standard on most cars and manual tranny becomes an option if such is available.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
<- MT lifer
Old 05-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Old 05-25-2008, 02:40 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing puts a smile on my face like a sweet MT setup. No auto or even DSG for how much I love it will ever put a smile on my face no matter how good it is. I might still love and smile at the underlying car, but not the transmission