Saturn: Astra news **2008 First Drive by Edmunds (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Saturn: Astra news **2008 First Drive by Edmunds (page 2)**

Source: http://www.cheersandgears.com forums

The much-maligned ION is being redesigned for the 2008 model year. Still built on the Delta platform, it will share many components with the Opel Astra and Chevrolet Cobalt to save costs. It will be offered with the ION's current powertrains: the Ecotec 2.2L and 2.4L, with manual and automatic transmissions available with both engines.

GM has run into a problem regarding the Lordstown plant that will build GMX002. The Cobalt alone is currently almost at the plant's capacity, so either Cobalt buyers will instead buy an ION, or ION production will be lower than the 113,000 units forecasted. It was scheduled to be built at the Lake Orion assembly plant alongside the Pontiac G6, but was changed because of cost issues. Production starts in August 2007, with the program scheduled to run for 4 years (MY 2008-2011).
For CGIs please click here
Old 09-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Nice looking interior. I'd really rather see a 3/5-dr version of the Astra
Old 09-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are great sketches. I hope that the new Ion is like that. Damn, Saturn' line is coming into view really quickly, and it may be GM's best looking brand in 2-4 yers, IMO.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Seeking an Alternative - - Source: Autoweek

NEW YORK -- General Motors has canceled the vehicle that was supposed to replace the Saturn Ion and is urgently seeking an alternative.

As a result, Saturn dealers are likely to be left without an entry-level vehicle for several months next year, company officials acknowledge.

Last summer, GM unveiled its design for the Ion replacement at a press preview, where it was overwhelmingly praised by journalists. But GM has dropped that design execution.

"We're exploring different alternatives," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager, who was interviewed last week at the New York auto show. "We're not ready to talk about that today."

General Motors might consider rebadging a vehicle from its overseas product portfolio, such as the Opel Astra. Lajdziak did not discuss the Astra's suitability, noting only that GM is looking for "a collaboration." GM, she said, "is looking globally for a design and an architecture to leverage. We are still working through the strategy."

This uncertainty comes at an awkward time for GM, which is spending lavishly to rejuvenate the Saturn brand with new nameplates. In New York, the company showcased the Sky roadster, Aura sedan and Outlook crossover. The next-generation Ion was supposed to be the company's key entry-level vehicle.

Last week, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said most of Saturn's core products would be rebadged Opels. If so, the Astra would appear to be a candidate for the U.S. market. The Astra is produced in Europe and Brazil.

But GM officials have not confirmed that they want to introduce the Astra to U.S. consumers. Nor have they said whether a U.S.-market Astra would be produced in North America, Brazil or Europe.

GM also has not decided whether the Ion name will survive. And the company has not disclosed the next vehicle it plans to produce in Saturn's assembly plant in Spring Hill, Tenn. The Ion, produced in Spring Hill, ends production at the end of this year.

"As of now, there's no replacement for Line One," said GM spokesman Dan Flores. "Line Two is the Vue, and that will continue."

The Ion's replacement now is expected to go into production late in 2007 as a 2008 model. The gap between the end of Ion production and the launch of the new vehicle could be eight or nine months, said Lisa Hutchinson, Saturn brand and product director.

To fill that gap, Saturn must decide whether to boost production of the 2007 Ion this year to provide sufficient inventory next year.

Even if GM boosts production, dealers still may have 60 to 90 days with no Ion inventory, Hutchinson said.

Saturn dealer John Bergstrom, owner of Bergstrom Automotive in Neenah, Wis., said dealers haven't been told what will replace the Ion. "We know there'll be a new version of it, but we don't know what it'll be or when it's coming," he said.

This month, Saturn met with dealers to unveil the mid-sized 2007 Aura sedan and the Outlook crossover. That "helped ease their concern about the products they will have to sell in that timeframe next year," Hutchinson said.

In 2007, production of the Aura and Outlook is expected to be in full swing, so dealers ought to have adequate inventories, Hutchinson said.

Could GM's indecision over the Ion's future short-circuit Saturn's revival? Said Lajdziak, "We are not going to let that happen."

Jamie LaReau and Lindsay Chappell contributed to this report
Old 04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What bothers me in the above is this part

Last summer, GM unveiled its design for the Ion replacement at a press preview, where it was overwhelmingly praised by journalists. But GM has dropped that design execution.
If journalists praised it, it was probably a good plan.

From my experiences with the Astra from Europe, it is not nearly as qualitative overall as the impressions I am getting from the Aura and the Sky.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post Confirmed: GM will replace Saturn Ion with Opel Astra

Nice! Love how the Astra looks...

================

A report published today indicates General Motors will definitely replace the Saturn Ion with a rebadged Opel Astra, further aligning the two brands. Citing reliable supplier reports, Automotive News says the new car will sell for $16,000 and is expected to sell fewer units than the Ion. In mid-April, it was reported that GM had scrapped the vehicle that was intended to replace the Ion, despite positive reaction to it. Called the “Evoke,” the new car was expected for the 2007 model year, and had been previewed to some members of the press last year. In March, GM’s Bob Lutz said Saturn wished “they had an Opel Astra instead of a Saturn Ion.” GM has been actively aligning Saturn and Opel and equivalent brands on either side of the Atlantic. Recently, GM introduced the 2007 PreVue Concept — a rebadged Opel — and the Opel GT — a rebadged Saturn Sky.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...th-opel-astra/
Old 05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Done Deal - - Rebadged Opel Astra will come to U.S. at end of 2007 as Saturn Ion - - By HARALD HAMPRECHT AND RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

General Motors plans to import rebadged Opel Astra compacts to replace the Ion at the bottom of Saturn's lineup.

The imports, starting at the end of next year, will sticker at about $16,000 - approximately $3,500 above that of the 2006 Saturn Ion 2 sedan, Ion's base model. Ion production is scheduled to end in December.

GM declined to comment. But sources within GM and its Opel subsidiary confirmed an outline of the plan.

Last year GM sold 100,891 Ions. That car follows the S series, which sold 200,000-plus units from 1993 through 1999, peaking at 286,003 in 1994.

The annual sales target for the Astra model will be considerably lower, ranging from 20,000 to 40,000 units.

Saturn's version of the Astra probably will be assembled in Antwerp, Belgium. The name Astra may be used on the Saturn model.

Importing Astras would fit GM's strategy of repositioning Saturn as a Europeanized brand. At the New York auto show last month, GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said nearly all Saturn vehicles will be based on vehicles from Adam Opel AG, GM's German subsidiary.

The current Astra went on sale in Europe in 2004. The European press has praised the car, and it was western Europe's second-best seller last year with 453,000 units, just behind the Volkswagen Golf.

Jim Sanfilippo, executive vice president of the consulting firm AMCI in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., says Saturn should have no trouble selling the car if it is well equipped. "People like to buy cars from Saturn dealers," said Sanfilippo, "and that is still a franchise in General Motors' portfolio that can attract import buyers."

Since 1958, GM occasionally has sold cars from Opel in the United States. In recent years it imported the Cadillac Catera and built the Opel-based Saturn L series in Wilmington, Del. Neither sold well.

GM builds the Ion in Spring Hill, Tenn. It has not disclosed plans for a new vehicle to replace the Ion there.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The name Astra may be used on the Saturn model.
Wow!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Opel Astra thread here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/opel-astra-news-%2A%2A2015-revealed-page-3-%2A%2A-147160/
Old 05-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Check out what were writing around Feb. of 2005 about the Astra and Saturn:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=2&pp=25
Old 05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Awesome news!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I am all up ons this!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Good car but are poeple gonna pony up the extra cash.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by biker
Good car but are poeple gonna pony up the extra cash.
Despite what Gav thinks about the Astra, it's a much better car inside and out than the Ion. I think that people will pay the premium because of it.

I will definitely go look at a Astra Red-Line when they bring the VXR over.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
Despite what Gav thinks about the Astra, it's a much better car inside and out than the Ion. I think that people will pay the premium because of it.

I will definitely go look at a Astra Red-Line when they bring the VXR over.
Agreed. Plus, there really won't be much of a premium there. The Astra would be sold with plenty of content, and would be considered a "premium compact," selling along the lines of the Sentra, Corolla, Civic, Cobalt (Delta stablemate), and Jetta. Opel also has a sub-Astra car that could come over here to compete with the Versa, Yaris, Fit, Aveo, etc., called the Corsa. In addition, the next gen Opel Corsa will well into development. One can't wonder if it comes to the NA also. GM could certainly use more than one sub-compact in this market.

Here are some spy pics of the next gen Opel Corsa I'm referring too.
Here's the 3 Door Version:

Here's the 5 Door Version:

IMHO, GM would be wise to bring over both the Astra (next Ion), and the Corsa positioned under it. I'd buy the Astra over the Cobalt, and the Corsa over the new Aveo anyday.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Hopefully this works great for GM. Then Ford cannot say that the Euro Focus costs too much for US buyers.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
While living in Belgium for 4 years, my parents owned a diesel Opel Astra and loved it. It was a neat, powerful little car that was great at sipping gas. It'd be nice if they'd make a diesel version for the US, as well. I think we need more of those options here.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Saturn Astra confirmed....

Originally Posted by lfn.com
General Motors today confirmed it will add the Astra compact car to its lineup late in 2007. The car is already sold by General Motors in Europe under its Opel brand. Earlier this year, GM executives said they would align the Saturn and Opel brands over the coming years. Early examples of this collaboration include the Saturn Sky and upcoming Opel GT, as well as the Opel Antara and 2008 Saturn Vue.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

This is pretty cool what GM is doing cause Opel has some nice cars. Wonder what the price will be and if it'll have a diesel option.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Saturn certainly continues to rise. I love those wheels. The Astra's a great small car, and it'll do well in the lineup. I hope that it becomes a success, so that GM will be encouraged to offer atleast most of the variations of this car in the U.S. I also hope that the rumors are true, and that the Ion name will be replaced with the Astra name.

Last edited by titan; 12-08-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Here's an idea;

get rid of all current GM crap they have now and replace them all with their OPEL/Vauxhall models.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Here's the five door version.

A few more of the three door.

Sedan version.

The three door version with the optional extended vista winshield. I really like this one...

Old 12-08-2006, 12:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
3 door looks nice.
Vista windshield.... Can you imagine the sun glare!?!?!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
the five door doesn't look bad at all.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Astra VXR with 240hp Turbo 4-cyl.

I will trade my Mazda3 in right now and get this if they bring it here!

Ion Redline! Do it!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

mazdaspeed3 263hp turbo 4 isn't good enough?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
mazdaspeed3 263hp turbo 4 isn't good enough?
I have a Mazda3 so I know what the car is like.

The Mazdaspeed3 cannot hold a candle to that VXR
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Saturn’s next Opel: 2008 Astra - - By JULIAN RENDELL - -Source: Autoweek

Saturn will take on the Volkswagen Golf and Ford Focus with a hatchback version of one of Europe’s best-selling small cars, the Opel Astra.

Replacing the Ion sedan, the 2008 Saturn Astra will be sold in three- and five-door body styles, with sales starting in autumn 2007. General Motors says it will unveil the car at the Chicago auto show in February 2007.Virtually identical to the European Astra, the car gets a Saturn grille and new front bumper, and some interior trim modifications to suit American tastes.

As yet there’s no news on which engines the Saturn Astra will get, although there are plenty of choices with 11 gasoline and diesel powerplants available in Europe (the diesels are already ruled out for the U.S.).

Enthusiasts are likely to see two punchy turbocharged fours, each with six-speed manual transmissions, that would pitch the Astra against the Golf GTi. The hottest of these, likely to appear in a Saturn Astra Red Line, is a 2.0-liter turbo producing 237 hp. It is the heart of the 150-mph Vauxhall Astra VXR/Opel Astra OPC, which rides on a stiffened suspension that makes it one of Europe’s edgiest hot hatches.

The second turbo unit is a new 1.6-liter four due for reveal in the new year; it produces more than 180 hp. Other possible engines are a 1.8-liter 125-hp four or a 1.6-liter 105-hp four. GM may re-engineer another engine, particularly because the availability of European engines with automatic transmissions is limited.

The cars will be built in Europe at Antwerp in Belgium, a decision that will dismay workers at Saturn’s Ion plants in the U.S. Because the Saturn Astra will be available only as a hatchback, GM is predicting sales of between 30 and 40,000 a year, less than half the 100,000 achieved by the Ion. The recently launch Saturn Aura sedan, based on the Opel Vectra, is expected to soak up the balance of the Ion’s sales.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
um
the ion sold 100,000 units?
is this total or yearly?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deandorsey
um
the ion sold 100,000 units?
is this total or yearly?
um, yeah. Apprently the Ion sold a ton, though I don't understand why. I think the price moved the cars... it definitely wasn't power or looks.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by titan
um, yeah. Apprently the Ion sold a ton, though I don't understand why. I think the price moved the cars... it definitely wasn't power or looks.
Fleet Sales?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2008 Saturn Astra Preview - - Source: The Car Connection

by Conor Twomey

All the exotic carmakers do it - Ferrari, Bentley, and Lamborghini, for example. Executive car producers like Mercedes, BMW, and Audi do it, too. And so do the manufacturers of humdrum cars like Toyota , VW, Nissan, and Chrysler. Even Alfa Romeo thinks it can do it and is beavering away behind the scenes to make it happen. But GM and Ford? They just can't seem to be able to get it right, which means they're needlessly wasting millions of development dollars each year.

I'm talking, of course, about building global cars. How is it that VW can build the Golf and Passat and Toyota is able to produce the Yaris and Corolla and both companies can sell identical all over the world without too much difficulty, while GM and Ford have never been able to find a single car to keep Asian, European, and American customers happy?

Ford's best attempt, the Focus, got off to a great start in America and looked like becoming the company's first, global, mainstream success, but in transferring production to Mexico it seems much of the quality control got lost in translation and the Euro-chic Focus' reputation ended up in the Euro-trash. For the all-new 2008 model, Ford's designers have grabbed their security blankies and designed a car reminiscent of the good-ol' Escort in terms of design and layout so a bland sedan and coupe replace the bold sedan and hatchback models. An opportunity is missed and status quo is restored.

Not to worry, though, because just as Ford beats a hasty retreat GM steps in to take up the fight. Its resurgent Saturn division is currently preparing to launch the all-new Astra, a car that's more-or-less identical to the European Opel Astra in every significant way...or so we hope. Rather than importing the car from Europe -- which it will do at launch, to get the car more quickly -- GM will build the car Stateside (in Tennessee, we understand) and massage some of the more expensive content out to make it a more cost-effective proposition for the U.S. market. However, we're pretty sure that GM and Saturn will have learned from Ford's experience with the Focus, so what arrives on Saturn forecourts in the fall of 2007 will be much closer to its European sibling that the over-diluted Focus was back in 2000.

What's it like?

So what is the European Astra like, then? Pretty darn good, actually. At its European launch in 2004 it was praised for its sporty and funky styling and, with the exception of federal bumpers and Saturn grille, its basic appearance won't be altered for American consumption. Fortunately for Saturn, the three-door hatchback (known in Europe as the GTC) has been styled to resemble a rakish coupe (it's still a roomy five-seater, though), helping it to poach sales from the new Focus Coupe and Scion tC, while the five-door hatchback is slightly more conservatively styled to make it more appealing to family buyers. (Pictured here are the U.S. Saturn versions, fresh off embargo.)

Opel has also just unveiled a new four-door Astra sedan for Eastern Europe (they prefer sedans out East) and you can be sure that will make its way Stateside before long also, though Saturn declines to comment on that. The Astra wagon and hardtop convertible won't be offered in the U.S. , however.

As you might expect from a GM product, the interior isn't quite as exciting as the exterior and what little glitz the Euro-Astra has will probably have to be pulled to keep costs down (fancy one-touch stalks and windows, for example). Even so, the Astra will remain as spacious as ever and will offer a great driving position and excellent visibility, too.

Mechanically, the Astra isn't as sophisticated as its main rivals in Europe, with its basic torsion-beam rear suspension, but the good news is engineers have worked wonders with it and in terms of ride and handling it's not disgraced by the agile and refined European-model Focus and Golf. This bodes well or American customers too, because Saturn wants to keep that sporty European feel to help it win over younger buyers.

Refined ride

I've driven several Opel Astras over the past few months and where they truly excel is in terms of ride and refinement, as well as body control and steering precision. They feel agile and willing, even if they could use a bit more feel and involvement, while the gearchange and brakes operate with slickness and consistency, making it an amusing car to hustle along and a fine long-distance companion.

The Saturn Astra's engines are likely to be versions of GM's global Ecotec four. The U.S. engine is a 140-hp 1.8-liter Ecotec engine, which proved adequately powerful if somewhat lacking in smoothness at high revs. A five-speed manual will be standard on all Saturn Astras, with a four-speed automatic offered as an option.

Opel, like most European carmakers, is shifting towards smaller, turbocharged engines in a bid to lower emissions and fuel consumption without affecting performance, so the company's excellent 180-hp, 1.6-liter turbo is likely to be the pick of the revised European Astra range, which goes on sale in February.

Meanwhile, American enthusiasts are no doubt be hoping that the Astra Red Line will be little more than a re-badged version of the howling-mad, 240-hp, 2.0-liter turbo Astra OPC (Opel Performance Center). The Red Line coupe will probably use most of the OPC's bodywork and chassis tweaks, but whether it will get the 260-hp, 2.0-liter turbo GM stuffs in the Solstice, remains up for conjecture.

Frankly, that might be an issue. The Astra's chassis simply isn't sophisticated enough to cope with all that power and torque and as a result, the OPC is a surprisingly frustrating and uninspiring car to drive. Turn off the stability control and you'll find that when you're not quenching torque-steer and wheel-spin, you're doing battle with oversteer and understeer as it bounces and skips its way over uneven surfaces. Leave the traction control on and the dashboard lights light up like Vegas at night, especially if there's a hint of moisture on the road.

As with the Focus, the Astra's success as a global model depends on the American division's final execution. If Saturn gets it right, the Astra will be seen as a good-looking, fun, and classy little car that will do great business for Saturn and will also do a lot to raise the brand's profile with trendy young Americans. If they get it wrong…well, I guess nothing much will have changed, will it?

2008 Saturn Astra (estimated figures)

Base price: $17,500
Engines: 2.0-liter four-cylinder, 145 hp

Transmission: Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic, front-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 167.3 x 69.0 x 57.5 in
Wheelbase: 102.9 in
Curb weight: 2546 lb
Fuel economy (city/hwy): 27/36 mpg (est., 2.0-liter manual)
Safety equipment: Dual front, side, and curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes and stability control

Major standard equipment: Power windows/locks/mirrors; OnStar; AM/FM/CD player

Warranty: Five years/100,000 miles
Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
That center stack is
Cheap plastic city!!!
Interesting 2 door exterior design.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Astra >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>ION

In name looks, etc. This looks like a very decent car.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Great. It looks good, inside and out. The brought the Astra over wholesale, not changing anything on the car except the badge. It'll be a blast to drive.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
That center stack is
Cheap plastic city!!!
Interesting 2 door exterior design.
Don't judge the plastic just yet. When I first saw Mazda3 plastics I thought they were crap. They aren't. It's just crap lighting.

I think the car looks damned good and I'm excited about a Ion Redline.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Note to Gav:

Base price: $17,500

Keep an eye on this ... If it sells well, there's no reason not to consider the Euro Focus!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Don't judge the plastic just yet. When I first saw Mazda3 plastics I thought they were crap. They aren't. It's just crap lighting.
Judging by the real life feel of the Aura and Sky (whose interiors looked really good in pics), I wouldn't bet on it being the lighting.

Quick Reply: Saturn: Astra news **2008 First Drive by Edmunds (page 2)**