Saab: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 AM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Was on Edmunds a moment ago...and it was brought to my attention that Saab's USA President & COO is...

a CHICK! :-*

I woulda never guessed.

Picture from www.roadandtravel.com
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Be careful now. The chicks on this forum might not like that kind of thinking.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

thats a man!!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:52 AM
I'm allergic to bull

There are more female designers than male in car industry.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Was on Edmunds a moment ago...and it was brought to my attention that Saab's USA President & COO is...

a CHICK! :-*

I woulda never guessed.

Picture from www.roadandtravel.com
I'm not quite sure why this is important...
Old 06-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Banned

What is more important is that she was at the head of Oldsmobile, before. Right? Now there is something to be worried about.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
What is more important is that she was at the head of Oldsmobile, before. Right? Now there is something to be worried about.
LOL. Maybe it's a Swedish thing...wasn't archrival Volvo showing off some concept that was completely designed by and for women?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:22 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
I'm not quite sure why this is important...
It's not...I never knew this, and found it interesting...thought other people would too. If not, oh well.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:26 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by phile
LOL. Maybe it's a Swedish thing...wasn't archrival Volvo showing off some concept that was completely designed by and for women?
Yes, and the Volvo was designed with a hood that didn't open, to avoid all those pesky, greasy maintenance issues. Is SAAB still Swedish? I thought the 9-2x was Japanese and the 9-7x was Detroit-ease. BTW, Saturn's old prez was also a woman.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Saintor

Now that's significant to me. But hey, Olds had some good cars toward the end...much better than Buick.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Now that's significant to me. But hey, Olds had some good cars toward the end...much better than Buick.

Oldsmobile gone...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Orangeblood

All my previous cars were oldsmobiles. Last one an Aurora. Rather boatish, but good car.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

What is an oldsmobile?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lutz talks about Saab's future

Global approach can save Saab, says Lutz - - Source: Autocar

Saab should no longer be regarded as a Swedish brand, according to General Motor’s product czar Bob Lutz. He also admits that his two recent pet Saab projects (the Impreza-based 9-2X and 9-7X SUV) could pose some short-term problems.

Speaking to Autocar at the recent Paris Motor Show, Lutz revealed the extent to which the car maker will be re-invented. He emphasised that Saab was never a pure brand: ‘The first cars had an engine from DKW, then the Ford V4. Saab also participated in the Type 4 project which meant it shared parts with a Fiat Croma. You could say that under GM all Saabs have shared parts with [various] Vectras. But you can still share parts and have a unique Saab character – something sporting, very agile with high levels of active and passive safety.

‘Saab is an extremely interesting and valuable brand but it has no history of making money. There were four approaches we could have taken. We could have said, “this isn’t working, let’s shut it”. We could have kept muddling through. Or we could have made a huge investment of $5bn (£276m) – but we don’t have the money. Or we could have done something similar to Peugeot and Citroën [platform and parts-sharing], using the same architecture but getting very different results – and that’s what we will do.

‘The 9-2X and 9-7X pose a short-term risk to the brand, but if we hadn’t put those cars into the US distribution network we would have lost the dealers.’ And without them, Saab would be finished.

Lutz also argued that Saab shouldn’t be considered a Swedish brand. ‘The designers don’t have to be in Sweden,’ he said. ‘Design is international and a good designer can grab the essence of Saab anywhere. What’s important is that Saab was formed by an aircraft maker.’

Lutz said that his ‘ideal’ Saab line-up would be ‘a small, Astra-sized car, a 9-3, 9-5 and SUV and a nice crossover… and maybe a sports car.’ He insisted that future Saabs would be front- or four-wheel-drive, although one insider says the next-generation 9-5 is likely to be rear-drive.

GM Europe may close one of its factories by 2007. It’s widely thought that Saab’s Trollhattan HQ (right), which builds the 9-3 and 9-5, is most at risk. However Saab boss Peter Augustsson told Autocar that Trollhattan’s costs were 30-40 per cent below those of Opel’s Russelsheim plant.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:43 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the end of real saabs
Old 10-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Racer

Saabs are goo, I Love them........ i have a 9-3 n it's a great car
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"GM review poses threat of closure to Saab"

"DETROIT - A General Motors review of its Saab subsidiary could lead to the upmarket car brand being axed, if the heavy investment required to revive it is deemed unjustified.

GM executives and people familiar with the study said there was only an outside chance that the Swedish brand would be killed off by the review, due to be completed within three months."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6811980/
Old 01-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
They should have realized what saab was before pouring the money into the company. Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of saab loyalists who will be plenty pissed at GM about this.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
They should have realized what saab was before pouring the money into the company. Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of saab loyalists who will be plenty pissed at GM about this.
Exactly; you spend billions to acquire and run a money losing car company, but think that it'll magically make money if you get it and leave it as it was before... only at GM. They should revive it. It's still foreign brand that could make some noise.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Exactly; you spend billions to acquire and run a money losing car company, but think that it'll magically make money if you get it and leave it as it was before... only at GM. They should revive it. It's still foreign brand that could make some noise.
It's also one of GMs better looking brands at this point in the game.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Its not that bad of a vehicle. But GM needs find out what they want to do. Right now, all they are concerned with is losing the title as number 1 auto manufacturer. Too many bad decisions on their part.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
__

I love SAAB! I would forever hold a grudge on GM if they kill the brand
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Agreed. That's my point. Saab is def worth saving. GM needs to make a real commitment, though. If they do, Saab can be a true force.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Banned

Arrow

Face it. There are bean counters running GM. They'll never be able to revive this brand with those idiots running the ship.

The should have made an SUV...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
The way of the future...

Sad, could almost predict this coming - couldn't you?

GM remains committed to Saab, but warns continued losses may lead to drastic changesWIM OUDE WEERNINK | Automotive News Europe
Posted Date: 2/22/05
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- General Motors will keep the Saab brand, but not necessarily as an independent Swedish carmaking operation.

General Motors will not stop making and selling Saabs, says GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz.

"We like the brand, and we want to retain it," Lutz said during an interview at the Amsterdam auto show this month. "We will do what is needed to keep the Swedish character of Saab."

But GM is determined to stop heavy losses at Saab. Last year Saab lost $200 million because of poor global sales, currency fluctuation and high manufacturing costs at its assembly plant in Trollhattan, Sweden.

GM had three options for Saab's future: Close it, sell it or alter the business plan to make Saab large enough to be profitable. Last year GM Europe's managers debated the most basic question: whether to keep Saab alive.

"But we are now beyond that stage," says a well-informed GM Europe source who wished to remain unidentified. Said another GM source: "GM needs a global premium brand, and that should be Saab."

That will require a substantial increase in sales. Last year Saab built 128,646 units in Trollhattan. But Lutz says it would be "almost impossible" for Saab to make money producing fewer than 250,000 vehicles a year. "We cannot subsidize a factory for that," he said.

GM is wrestling with chronic losses at other European operations. The company has told workers at its plants in Trollhattan and Russelsheim, Germany, that only one of those plants will build cars based on the next-generation Epsilon architecture.

Those vehicles include the Opel Vectra, the Saab 9-3 and the Cadillac BLS.

German sources say it is almost certain that Russelsheim will produce the Epsilon vehicles. But GM may produce other vehicles in Trollhattan, a company source added.

In one scenario being discussed by GM managers:

>>> All Saab models would share architectures with other GM brands, including engines and transmissions.

>>> Saab would reskin the 9-5 to maintain sales while GM decides whether to replace Saab's flagship model.

>>> A Saab design team will add "Swedishness" to Saab models derived from other GM divisions and affiliates.

This is the same task force that developed the Saab 9-2 based on the Subaru Impreza and the Saab 9-7 SUV derived from the Chevrolet TrailBlazer.

IMO - the success in the Auto Industry is determined by managing value/luxury and leveraging platforms between two brands. Ala:

Honda/Acura
Toyota/Lexus
Nissan/Infiniti
Volkswagen/Audi (though VW is screwing up by tring to move VW upscale)

Bottom Line:

GM and Ford own too many brands which compete with each other for sales and also compete internally for precious capital investment expenditures.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

:ibmovetocartalk:
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Personally I wouldn't be sad to see Saab go
Old 02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Moved PistonFan's thread, and merged with the existing Saab thread.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 PM
Darth Chocolate

Trollhatten? I know where Manhatten is, but where is Orchatten, Elfhatten, and Dwarfhatten?

"I'd hate to see Saab go, but I'd love to watch it drive away!"
Old 02-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
Personally I wouldn't be sad to see Saab go
While I wouldn boo-hoo at Saab disappearing from the market, they do make some nice cars. I just couldnt justify spending $40k on a car that will depreciate to $20k within 2 years.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

Have you driven a FORD lately?

Originally Posted by F23A4
While I wouldn boo-hoo at Saab disappearing from the market, they do make some nice cars. I just couldnt justify spending $40k on a car that will depreciate to $20k within 2 years.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Have you driven a FORD lately?

regularly --->

(ref: 'driven' not 'owned')
Old 02-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Systems Overlord

I had an 89 Saab 900S and was very happy with the car. Prior to buying my TL I had considered Saab. I test drove the 93 and 95 Aero models. I couldn't get over the turbo lag. Also the quality of the vehicles was no where near what it used to be. The new Saabs also share platforms with other GM vehicles. Unless GM can build the quality back into the brand they should put it out to pasture.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a personal bias towards Saab because my uncle owns an 03 9-3 Convertible. I love it, the car is well screwed together, and is a blast to drive. More importantly, it has a ceratin air of uniqueness and distinctiveness that is im sure a trait of all saabs.

As somebody else mentioned, the new 9-3s (sedan and convertible) and heck even the 9-2 are some of the better looking vehicles GM has out there.

I think GM needs to put a stop to the morons who "built" the 9-2. Reskinning a WRX wagon, and adding some sound deadening does not make a vehicle unique and worthy of the Saab badge. IMO, a resytled 9-5 is long overdue, and a Saab SUV wouldn't be a bad thing, but let the goddamn Swedes build it or at least let them have a bigger say in the design, instead of giving them a shitty-ass Trailblazer/Envoy to work with.

Oh and BTW, Saab still makles some of the safest vehicles out there.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I seriously entertained the 9-3 before I bought my TSX, but just couldn't get past the reliability issues. My best friend got a 9-3 Vector shortly after me and he's been regretting his decision ever since.

I trust the fine folks at GM to bury whatever made Saab unique vehicles to own in the first place.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
The hair says it all

saab is somewhat of a sad brand to look at, because it really had character, and gm took all the character away from saab when they bought it by making the cars share platforms with other gm models. w/o that character, theres not much special about them

my friends dad had a saab 9-3 viggan, you should have seen the seats in that car
Old 02-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Python2121
saab is somewhat of a sad brand to look at, because it really had character, and gm took all the character away from saab when they bought it by making the cars share platforms with other gm models. w/o that character, theres not much special about them

my friends dad had a saab 9-3 viggan, you should have seen the seats in that car
The Viggen is a very nice ride. Saabs do seem to have a pretty loyal following and the Viggen (as was the old SPG) does cater to Saab loyalists who want performance.

But they're really not bad cars anymore (unlike back in the early 90s) but that depreciation!?!?!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

The Cleveland Plain Dealer on Tuesday talked about the upcoming start of work on the SAAB 9-7X at the Moraine (near Dayton) plant. Ohio-built SAABs? That makes almost as much sense as Ohio-built Acuras ... oh well.

The Mitsubishi group is throwing money into Mitsu to keep it alive. Ford is pumping Jaguar with cash, which Jag is burning away.

GM basically killed off Isuzu in the US market. Next to go (no particular order) are SAAB, Saturn, and Buick. Magic "GM Hand of Death." Please, do you know how many SAABs and Volvos you see in metro Detroit thesedays? They're just more GM and Ford cars now.

GM should stick with Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Cadillac, and Opel/Vauxhall/Holden overseas. Everything else, including messing up SAAB and messing around with Subaru, Suzuki, and the purchase of Daewoo's assets ... total wastrel diversions.

If only they got FIAT. They could have killed off FIAT, Lancia, and Alfa Romeo.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Saab-CEO Leaving Company

Augustsson Leaving Saab - - Source: The Car Connection

Saab Automobile's chief executive officer, Peter Augustsson, will leave the company following GM's decision to pass over Trollhattan as the place to build new mid-size cars. Augustsson will leave General Motors on April 1 to start his own company, Reuters reports. Last week, GM said it would build the next generation of its European mid-size cars - which includes the Opel Vectra and Saab 9-3-not at the Saab plant in Trollhattan but at Russelsheim, Germany. GM has promised to build Saabs in Sweden for at least five years as well as models like the Saab-derived Cadillac BLS, but made no guarantee to keep the plant open past 2010. Augustsson told reporters that the decision by GM made it a fitting time for him to leave the company he'd led since 2000. Augustsson will be replaced by Jan-Aake Jonsson, GM's Nordic region chief of sales and marketing, though the new position will be as a brand director. Opel's Carl-Peter Forster, will take Augustsson's duties as Saab chairman.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Banned

Read the WSJ's piece on this.

You just know that GM is gonna run SAAB into the ground.
Edmunds has the 9-7X up on their new car site ... the photos show it
to be a TrailBlazer with SAAB badges.

Quick Reply: Saab: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News