Saab 9-7x News **Test drive from Europe (page 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Zoot
the ignition is in a normal saab place! why couldn't they do that for the 9-2x?
http://new9-7x.saabusa.com/images/gallery2.html

http://new9-7x.saabusa.com/images/gallery4.html
Thanks for answering my question. I'm really happy they did that... even though this is an suv Saab really did a good job on it's stylying and character. I think the details will help to sell it, like the ignition being in it's proper place.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it
Old 04-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by chris3240929
Built off the Equinox platform prolly...

Looks a bit smaller than the Blazer body.
No, the Trailblazer platform. I'll bet they get a version of the Equinox/VUE if this SUV is a sales success.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the first Saab I have ever liked.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:07 PM
__

Originally posted by Ashburner
It's the first Saab I have ever liked.
that's because it is NOT a saab
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

The more I look at it the more I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Source: Autospies

The Spies got their first glimpse of the upcoming SAAB 9-7x at the 9-2x press introduction in San Diego this week.

Why a Saab SUV?

Saab executives told us that 29% of people that left the Saab brand left and bough an SUV and 39% of Saab owners also own an SUV.

Nuff said.

SAAB announced that the first units will be available for sale in US dealers next spring.

And yes, you're not hallucinating...it's a rebadged GMC envoy.

But we are told, it will drive much better due to suspension and other tweaks.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Certified Lurker

I like it even though its just anothre envoy clone.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Doesnt Saab have a marketing campaign about every saab being turbocharged?

Wouldnt this kill that entire image?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:56 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i only like the front end. why couldnt they put a saab steering wheel instead of that ugly shit
Old 05-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Originally posted by gavriil

Spy Shots: ?5 Saab SUV
Sharing in GM’s truck profits.
by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image (2003-12-15)

Owned by General Motors, Saab has been one of only a couple of GM brands to be left out of the light-truck boom. According to statistics, about 25 percent of Saab buyers have left the brand in order to buy an SUV - which so far has never been available from Saab.

This will change in 2005, when the company will offer for the first time in its history a mid-size SUV, which will be called 9-7X. Based on the platform of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, the 9-7X's exterior design and handling is going to be significantly different from the TrailBlazer and other GM trucks. This was already positively confirmed by a selected number of dealers who have been introduced to the new model and who were amazed by its styling.

No prototypes have so far been sighted, but our computer image is an artist's impression made from insider information. The TrailBlazer's power comes from six- and eight-cylinder engines. Nothing is yet known whether Saab will use similar powerplants for the new model.

Hans G. Lehmann/ Hidden Image

Source: The Car Connection
looks like a focus
Old 05-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I thought one of Saab's "trademarks" was safety?

If it's just a new nose, that SUV ain't safe.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:39 PM
The hair says it all

looks much much better then the other pics
Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Safety Car

I think the previous pics are more realistic.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just How Saab-like Is It? - - By Bob Lutz - GM Vice Chairman - - Source: fastlane.gmblogs.com

February 24, 2005

Tuesday’s New York Times featured a story about the “Saab-ness” of the new Saab 9-7X SUV that raised a lot more questions than it answered. Let me see if I can’t clarify the issue here.

As you may know, the vehicle is based on GM’s midsize SUV (GMT360) platform. This practice is no different from many Toyota-to-Lexus, or Nissan-to-Infiniti transformations, particularly in utilities.

No one should have the impression that this is nothing but a re-ornamented TrailBlazer — especially after driving it. I can assure you we made certain the 9-7X both looks and acts like a Saab, with plenty of mechanical changes as well as cosmetic ones.

Although produced in Moraine, Ohio, along with TrailBlazers, Envoys, Rainiers and Ascenders, the 9-7X is by far the most differentiated, with special focus on making it an authentic driver’s vehicle.

The 9-7X underwent extensive suspension modifications to give it a more responsive, “European” feel. It has stiffer springs and bushings, a larger front stabilizer bar, and revised shock valving, all of which required beefing up the frame and control arms to handle the increased loads. A quicker 18.5:1 steering gear reduces steering friction, and increases on-center feel. We also stiffened the front part of the frame with additional braces to boost steering response. High-speed stability was enhanced by a limited slip differential, coupled with Saab-specific 18-inch tires and suspension tuning, which included lowering the vehicle one inch. Larger diameter ventilated disc brakes in the front provide better brake pedal feedback.

It not only feels like a Saab, but looks like one too. We focused on fits and broke the mold in designing the front-end appearance. An integrated fascia on all-new front end sheet metal gives the truck a clean look with tight gaps and flush fits. A new chrome roof rack accepts existing accessories from the Saab portfolio.

Inside the cockpit, you’ll notice the zero gap skin-to-trim fits, low gloss surfaces, and beautiful graining created using cast-skin processing. We paid a lot of attention to interior details, even moving the controls to their “trademark” Saab locations. Dual stalk controls on the steering column include a new left-side control stalk for the headlights and the fog lamps and front wiper controls were moved to the new right-side stalk. The center console is not only 1OO% Saab in design and execution, but also features the famed ignition in the area where the Golden Retriever can turn it off.

The effort, which took nearly 2 1/2 years to complete, was to create a silent, refined, European-feeling sports-ute BASED ON the GMT 36O. I’m confident we have created a great Saab.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Damn, Bob did alot of talking today. But I'll agree with him on this one. I think this SUV is definitely more than just a rebadge. They didn't want to make the same mistake they did with the 9-2X, even though they're catching the same flak for it. I think once the mags get ahold of it, the perception will change a bit. The problem is, once you see it from the side, or rear, you know where it came from. Now the GMT360 variant that shouldn't be in existence, is the Rainier. Buick need Crossovers, not SUVs.

Last edited by titan; 02-24-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 PM

I will have to see it in person and drive it to see if it really is a Saab. I think saab would be better off making an allroad wagon for the next gen 9-5.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by CLUofI
I will have to see it in person and drive it to see if it really is a Saab. I think saab would be better off making an allroad wagon for the next gen 9-5.
I have seen it in person.

The interior is still way too GM-ish no matter how hard they tried to change the audio buttons.

The exterior...well, its too big for a Saab.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SAAB 9-7X ON ITS WAY TO DEALERS .... The 9-7X, Saab's first-ever SUV, began shipping to dealers throughout the U.S. and Canada last week. The vehicle will play a crucial role in the most aggressive product offensive in Saab's 58-year history as an auto manufacturer, joining the 9-3 Sport Sedan and Convertible, the 9-5 Sedan and SportWagon and the all-wheel drive 9-2X, as well as the upcoming all-new Saab 9-3 SportCombi.
The 9-7X goes on sale with very attractive pricing: the Linear with an Inline 6 engine is priced at $38,990, while the Arc V8 is priced at $40,990. With its distinctive exterior and interior design, excellent vehicle dynamics and a long list of standard equipment at a competitive price, the 9-7X SUV represents an outstanding value in the marketplace.

Saab dealers already are taking deposits for the 9-7X, even though the SUV hasn't arrived in showrooms and the media hasn't published reviews of the truck - a phenomenon that hasn't happened to the Swedish brand "in decades," Edmunds.com reported last week. About 5,000 people have signed up for a pre-sell offer on the 9-7X that included three years of free XM Radio and the OnStar communications system.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Looks like a Saab and Volvo XC90 had a kid.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

SAAB has always more or less been a mutt brand, so their latest SUV effort isn't a big surprise.

I'm not sure the marketplace needed another Trailblazer variant, but guess SAAB believes differently.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Saab 9-7X - - By Marty Padgett - - Source: Autoexpress

You have to feel sorry for Saab engineers. The firm that built its reputation on safe, environmentally friendly cars has endured some tough times of late.

Absorbed by General Motors, and charged with piling on sales, Saab has been forced to embrace a future which is not entirely of its own making. First came the 9-2X five-door, using Subaru Impreza underpinnings. Now, that is followed by a huge new SUV based on the US-only Buick Rainier.

On first sight, it is clear designers at the company have worked hard to give the Yank tank more of a European identity. There is an unmistakably Saab nose, along with an upmarket interior. Under the skin, the new 9-7X features revised mechanicals, including suspension that's tuned to improve road comfort at the expense of some off-tarmac ability.

At present, two petrol engines are available: a 290bhp in-line 4.2-litre six-cylinder and a torquier 300bhp 5.3 V8. Both promise to combine decent performance with reasonable economy, thanks to the US giant's 'displacement on demand' technology. This works by shutting off the fuel flow to two of the cylinders when the SUV is cruising at motorway speeds, reducing consumption on the combined cycle to 18mpg.

So far so good, but scratch the thin veneer and the newcomer's GM roots come shining through. The 9-7X we drove weighs in at a hefty 2.2 tonnes, and the V8 powerplant emits a raspy howl that resonates in the cabin, despite ample sound deadening. What's more, even though improvements have been made to the suspension, it is clear over the first few miles at the wheel that the Saab is still every inch the American off-roader on which it is based.

Car-like handling is a holy grail for SUV engineers, and sadly, in the development of the 9-7X, it has remained out of reach. Although the steering is tighter than in the Rainier, the Swedish model thumps over even small bumps. Through corners, its big anti-roll bar proves effective, but it becomes clear there was only so much Saab could do to improve the chassis responses.

It is not all bad news, though, and the company can be proud of the fact that this is the most handsome GM SUV money can buy. The good looks continue inside, with the two-tone leather and wood trim livening up the standard plastic. And in a bid to woo unconvinced Saab buyers, GM is piling on the equipment. The 9-7X is on sale now in the US, and for $40,000 (£22,300), the entry-level edition comes with stability control, leather seats, curtain airbags and a 275-watt Bose stereo complete with a six-CD multichanger. There is even a choice of a power sunroof or a rear seat DVD entertainment system.

Nevertheless, it is difficult to see the 9-7X as much more than a stop-gap measure. Saab is destined to sell a version of the new Subaru Tribeca in the US, and this car will not only offer a diesel, but better road manners, too.

However, the powers-that-be at GM say the 9-7X will prevent buyers from defecting to Japanese luxury brands - and prepare fans of the marque for the arrival of a better developed successor.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

That's a very nice looking GM. Exterior is good with clean, smooth lines. Interior layout is interesting. Center dash is Saab, but with a very GM steering wheel....
Old 07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Good attempt at keeping it SAAB like... I hope they never move the ignition key hole.
Much better then the SAABURU (9-2X).
Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The steering wheel design is terrible.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AsianRage
That's a very nice looking GM. Exterior is good with clean, smooth lines. Interior layout is interesting. Center dash is Saab, but with a very GM steering wheel....
Yea, there's too much GM in there. The door handles, HVAC, side and rearview mirrors etc.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the center stack is horrible too. for a trailblazer it would be ok but for a saab, naah