Rolls-Royce Corniche News

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rolls-Royce Corniche News

Spy Shots: ’07 Rolls-Royce Corniche - - by Brenda Priddy - - Source: The Car Connection

Can Rolls-Royce convert even the wealthiest aristocrats to the joy of wind-in-the-hair motoring? We believe it can, and we have several photos of the ultimate luxury soft-top Rolls that's coming, more than a year ahead of its official unveiling.

Closely resembling the 2004 Geneva Motor Show 100EX concept, the virtually showroom-ready version is being tested. Models rolling off the firm's production line in Goodwood are expected to have headlights similar to the Phantom. All that's missing from these photos is the Spirit of Ecstasy mascot, which will sit on top of the enormous chrome grille.

Incredibly, the show car's reverse-opening front doors have been carried over. While many models - including the Phantom - feature similar doors at the rear, the convertible will be the only production car to have them at the front.

Based on the same platform as the Phantom, and built using similar aluminum spaceframe chassis technology, the newcomer isn't as long as the sedan. The beautifully crafted cabin has room for four. Much of the switchgear will be carried over from the Phantom, but the convertible will need an extra button to trigger the electric folding fabric roof.

There's been no official announcement about what the production version of the Roller - currently codenamed the RR02 - will be called. The favorite badge among the decision-makers is thought to be Corniche, but the final judgment will be made next year. All drop-top models will be powered by the same 6.75-liter V-12 as the Phantom.

As with its stablemate, the droptop will be offered with the manufacturer's Bespoke Program, which lets customers tailor virtually any aspect of the finish to their own taste - for a price.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn. Those doors are sick.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
To punish and enslave

That thing still has a key hole.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Rolls-Royce only has the Phantom nowadays, right? Bentley offers so many more options.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Rolls-Royce only has the Phantom nowadays, right? Bentley offers so many more options.
True. Until they introduce the rumored baby RR to compete with the hugely popular GT and Flying Spur, they'll be behind. I look forward to seeing what they do with the next Azure and Arnage.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Rolls-Royce 101EX Concept @ 2006 Geneva Show

Rolls-Royce unveils second experimental car at Geneva show
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars has unveiled a second experimental car, 101EX, at the Geneva show today. It has been hand built to explore a potential design direction for a future coupé model.

"It is a very modern car, a 21st century design that respectfully nods to the past but focuses indisputably on the future," said Ian Cameron, Chief Designer, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars.

101EX uses the same lightweight aluminium construction that was developed for the Phantom, although the body is shorter by 240mm. A full four-seat coupé, twin coach doors add to the car’s rakish good looks and streamlined coupé profile.

The roofline is lower than the Phantom’s, with a shallower glass area. Streamlined styling starts at the front with the famous grille, discreetly reclined, and extends back across a brushed aluminium bonnet and windscreen surround. The rest of the sleek bodywork is finished in dark tungsten. New 21-inch forged aluminium wheels complete the exterior look.

Inside, the cosseting interior has been designed for elegance and maximum comfort for all four occupants. Machined aluminium, fine leather and rosewood and red oak veneers are used throughout. Slimline bucket seats offer outstanding comfort for front passengers while the exceptionally spacious rear seat delivers intimate comfort for two. Privacy is assured by the sweeping C-pillars.

The design team has experimented with interior lighting on 101EX, and the car features a ‘starlight headliner’ made up of hundreds of fibre optic cables to give the impression of a star filled night sky.

Ian Robertson, Rolls-Royce Chairman and Chief Executive, said, "101EX employs the same engineering philosophy as the Phantom, balancing high technology with hand craftsmanship. It illustrates the position of strength from which we operate and points the way for potential new models."

Currently there are no plans to develop a production version of 101EX
Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
pointless.... i love it....
Old 02-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Is it just me or does it look cheap with those wheels?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by titan
True. Until they introduce the rumored baby RR to compete with the hugely popular GT and Flying Spur, they'll be behind. I look forward to seeing what they do with the next Azure and Arnage.

It's Rolls Royce. They don't have to compete
Old 02-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Minch00
It's Rolls Royce. They don't have to compete
Meh. I disagree. They compete with Bentley, and right now Bentley's winning. Like M Type X said, they have so many choices. If they didn't feel they didn't have to compete, they wouldn't be responding to Bentley GT and Flying Spur with models of there own.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Is it just me or does it look cheap with those wheels?

I dont like the rims very much but the rest is awesome...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I'm not sure if I love or hate the huge windshield surround...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Meh. I disagree. They compete with Bentley, and right now Bentley's winning. Like M Type X said, they have so many choices. If they didn't feel they didn't have to compete, they wouldn't be responding to Bentley GT and Flying Spur with models of there own.
yeah i agree. for years bentley and rolls royce were owned by the same company so they were positioned differently and weren't competitors. now that bmw owns the rolls royce name and vw owns bentley there's likely going to be some competition, but it appears bentley has a big head start. Their current lineup isn't limited to 'sport' versions of a rolls royce like they used to be.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Mile High

I know Bentley has sportier models, but I'd still take a Rolls over a Bentley.

I think RR's have more of a presence on the road, and It would be nice to keep RR limited to two models, so there are less of them on the road. RRs are more stately and prestigious. IMO Bentleys are for the show offs while Rolls Royces are for those with a little more class.

I like the look of the Corniche and how its very similar to the Phantom. Those doors are baller.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy88
Bentleys are for the show offs while Rolls Royces are for those with a little more class.
Not sure how anyone can say someone that buys a rolls royce isn't a show off as well but
Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Are LED headlights destined to remain concept-car material forever? If RR won't put them in a production model I don't know who will...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

I know Bentley has sportier models, but I'd still take a Rolls over a Bentley.

I think RR's have more of a presence on the road, and It would be nice to keep RR limited to two models, so there are less of them on the road. RRs are more stately and prestigious. IMO Bentleys are for the show offs while Rolls Royces are for those with a little more class.

I like the look of the Corniche and how its very similar to the Phantom. Those doors are baller.
The RR looks screams look at me. The wheels, it's locomotive stance. Every Bentley model I see is extremely tasteful and understated. The Azure ooozes class (not to mention the Flying Spur). The RR does not.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Rolls-Royce Convertible at NAIS

Official pics of the new Rolls-Royce drophead (that's convertible, yank) hit the webs last night, bringing full circle the narrative thread started with the 100EX concept in 2004. The newest of swank ragtops, which shares its mechanicals with the Phantom, will enjoy its deb ball at the Detroit show next month, ahead of its appearance in 4,200 hip-hop videos by 2009, followed by unflattering shots of its underpinnings hitting a gossip blog late in 2010

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/ro...nce-224429.php
Old 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Is that right - suicide doors?

That's so
Old 12-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

I still wonder if the S Class with its 4 door vert will still one up this? Is the S clase convertible going to be hard or softtop convertible?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Think it looks like a complete old mans car, I'd feel ridiculous driving one. It would be interesting if they actually pushed the design limits.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Think it looks like a complete old mans car, I'd feel ridiculous driving one. It would be interesting if they actually pushed the design limits.
Well, a RR was never designed to appeal to 20-30yr olds.

The fact that hiphop and sport stars like them is because you can't get much more expensive or obnoxious than a RR.

I think it would be a great car for cruising Palm Beach.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beltfed

The fact that hiphop and sport stars like them is because you can't get much more expensive or obnoxious than a RR.

+1
Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Banned

+2
Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Mile High

+3
Old 12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
+3