RL news... Justin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL news... Justin?

I'm sure this has been discussed else where so my bad. But I'm sure you guys have seen the lastest rumor regarding the next RL. Autospies says:

Whenever you talk to the experts about Acura, the first words out of their mouths are RWD and 8 cylinder.

Speculation has been rampant that the next RL would be a RWD 8 cylinder.

The Spies say that couldn't be further than the truth.

We've learned that Acura will not only go against conventional wisdom and NOT make a RWD, 8 cylinder car, but create a new revolution with the first 300HP, 6-cylinder HYBRID engine!!!!

Wow!

Imagine no performance compromise AND 40MPG!

Forget the Prius, this will be the car to own if these rumors are true...

The car will be shown to dealers at their meeting in August and be available in the October/Novemeber timeframe.

Also, look for an even better design interpretation than the new TL. We're told the new RL is WAY more attractive.

We can't wait!

By the way, the American car companies are planning their killer strategy by waiting to have a car like this for ten years, so they can TOTALLY lose this market to the Japanese!

Sooo. Any thoughts
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Racer

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=6140
Old 01-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Pro

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing yet really. The new RL will get a 10/12 speaker surround sound system. I Read the layout but I forgot if its 10 or 12 speakers. The redesign MDX will also pk up 5.1 audio.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

ELS, correct?
Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

RL and NSX @ Detroit Auto Show

Guys,

I would like to contribute some info I picked up two weeks ago. At the Acura display, I was able to get some info on the next RL and NSX. The person I spoke with mentioned that the next RL will have a 3.5L 310HP AWD drivetrain. In addition, the next NSX will have a 3.5L 345HP drivetrain. Time will tell if they spoke the truth.

When the president of Honda said "no rivals exist", I think he might be referring to the hybrid version of the NSX. Obviously, it is very difficult for Honda and Toyota to build every car with hybrid technology for 05. Thus, the release of a hybrid RL/NSX in two or three years. Finally, I think the next honda product to the Variable Cylinder technology will be the next Odyssey or TL.

Lastly, Honda had their new Fuel Cell chassis on display. That chassis was so cool, it looked like a large Lego car. Honda is able to produce a Fuel Cell car for the masses! This mobility (CAR) company rocks!!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: RL and NSX @ Detroit Auto Show

Originally posted by 01 CLS
Guys,

I would like to contribute some info I picked up two weeks ago. At the Acura display, I was able to get some info on the next RL and NSX. The person I spoke with mentioned that the next RL will have a 3.5L 310HP AWD drivetrain. In addition, the next NSX will have a 3.5L 345HP drivetrain. Time will tell if they spoke the truth.

When the president of Honda said "no rivals exist", I think he might be referring to the hybrid version of the NSX. Obviously, it is very difficult for Honda and Toyota to build every car with hybrid technology for 05. Thus, the release of a hybrid RL/NSX in two or three years. Finally, I think the next honda product to the Variable Cylinder technology will be the next Odyssey or TL.

Lastly, Honda had their new Fuel Cell chassis on display. That chassis was so cool, it looked like a large Lego car. Honda is able to produce a Fuel Cell car for the masses! This mobility (CAR) company rocks!!

um....where are you getting the fuel cell car for the masses from???
Old 01-29-2004, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear

http://www.hondacars.com/info/news/a...y=currenthonda
Old 01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Honda cant, no automaker can make fuel cell car for the masses for a LONG time comming.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by gilboman
Honda cant, no automaker can make fuel cell car for the masses for a LONG time comming.
For once, I have to totally agree with Gilbo here... man, this is a sad day.

A hybrid car for the masses is still 10 to 15 years away in terms of matching numbers upwards to 100,000 cars a year, not to mention making the car profitable. Toyota and Honda have both admitted openly that they are selling their hybrids for losses so that they could be the main movers of the market.

Honda has reported that for the Civic hybrid to be profitable, they would have to charge abour 35k for the car. The Prius also has similar numbers needed to be profitable.

We're stuck with the traditional combustion engine for a while.

Junkster, whose is still in shock at agreeing with Gilbo so completely.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Hold on - we're talking about two different things here.

A hybrid vehicle (gasoline-electric) is current technology and can be built in quantity, as evidenced by the Prius, Civic Hybrid, etc.

A fuel-cell vehicle is powered by converting a gas (hydrogen) to electricity and is completely experimental at this point. Even if they could be produced in quantity, your local Shell station doesn't stock liquid hydrogen. This was the subject of Gilbo's comment.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Junkster
For once, I have to totally agree with Gilbo here... man, this is a sad day.

A hybrid car for the masses is still 10 to 15 years away in terms of matching numbers upwards to 100,000 cars a year, not to mention making the car profitable. Toyota and Honda have both admitted openly that they are selling their hybrids for losses so that they could be the main movers of the market.

Honda has reported that for the Civic hybrid to be profitable, they would have to charge abour 35k for the car. The Prius also has similar numbers needed to be profitable.

We're stuck with the traditional combustion engine for a while.

Junkster, whose is still in shock at agreeing with Gilbo so completely.
I don't agree that a "hybrid car for the masses" is10 years away. I mean, we have hybrid Civics and later this year we'll be seeing a Hybrid Accord. I mean you can't get much more "for the masses" than an Accord. Not to mention Toyota's upcoming Highlander/RX330 hybrids. But that's just my opinion, I guess.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Racer

Agreed. "The masses" aren't buying the Prius. I mean, it's selling briskly, but it's not Toyota's cash cow, nor is the Civic Hybrid Honda's.

Who knows how this will change when hybrid = performance + good mileage...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dnl2ba
Agreed. "The masses" aren't buying the Prius. I mean, it's selling briskly, but it's not Toyota's cash cow, nor is the Civic Hybrid Honda's.

I think "for the masses" means it's readily available to everyone...not that everyone is buying it. I think having hybrid as an option on two of the best selling sedans on the market and two best selling SUVs would qualify as something readily available to everyone.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:43 AM
Got Ramen?

Originally posted by dnl2ba

im not sure about tat. the prius is selling very well according to Business Week and Time and i see at least 2 of them on the road a day. they're a hot seller here in OC.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Guys,

Sorry for the confusion about the term "Masses". The point I am trying to make is that Honda has moved very close to making hydrogen powered cars a reality. In addition, Honda's approach to manufacturing automobiles, while conservative, is unbelievable. Here is one example from the article that I posted.

"But Honda is not just developing fuel cell vehicles. We are also taking leadership in the effort to develop a hydrogen-fueling infrastructure. This includes a hydrogen station powered by advanced solar cells developed by Honda engineers. And a Home Energy Station that makes hydrogen from natural gas. These concepts represent an important means to reduce CO2 emissions. "

Let's try not to get caught up on this subject.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 01 CLS
Guys,

Sorry for the confusion about the term "Masses". The point I am trying to make is that Honda has moved very close to making hydrogen powered cars a reality. In addition, Honda's approach to manufacturing automobiles, while conservative, is unbelievable. Here is one example from the article that I posted.

"But Honda is not just developing fuel cell vehicles. We are also taking leadership in the effort to develop a hydrogen-fueling infrastructure. This includes a hydrogen station powered by advanced solar cells developed by Honda engineers. And a Home Energy Station that makes hydrogen from natural gas. These concepts represent an important means to reduce CO2 emissions. "

Let's try not to get caught up on this subject.
i dont think you should read too much in to the marketing gimmick literature...every automaker has some investment and development going on in fuel cell, etc... GM, Ford were one of the earlierst investersin hydrogen technology b4 honda, toyota or the others... acutallly you sound like a honda marketer more than anything... there is nothing innovative or different to honda compared to others.... the luxury brands are the more innovative ones..not econobox makers for the masses.... there is just no point for econoboxy automaker to do much innovating...they just take existing technology that have already been developed/implemented by the MB's/GM and adapt them for use...
Old 02-01-2004, 03:01 AM

The Prius also has similar numbers needed to be profitable.
Prius is now a profitable car.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Prius is now a profitable car.
Well, I guess my comments come from the data from the previous Prius models, before this new model. Still, I just can't imagine the Prius being a profitable car at the price that is placed upon it. It's hard to believe that at under 26k, the car with all the technological investments as well as hardware has already been paid off in full. Sicklex, I know your good for it, but where's your data coming from?

And I know people will say that Toyota will not do something if it's not profitable, and I agree. With Toyota having so many SUVs in the lineup, it's only fitting that they need a high mileage car to even out their total MPG so that they don't have to pay penalties. I believe that at least Toyota wants the Prius and other hybrids in their lineup to make their MPG average look good. That's just what I think.

As for the comment about hybrids for the masses, I still can't see the hybrids selling like the regular Civics and Camrys just yet. With the price still slightly at a premium and the demand and supply for the car at below what most marketers would consider 'volume' seller, I just can't label it a car for the masses. I think as the prices fall and more mainstream cars such as the Accord and Camry recieve the hybrid technology as a STANDARD fair, the 'masses' label can be justified.

Junkster, who is interested by the Accord hybrid idea.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Acura Lover!

There is an article in the 2/1 issue of Long Island Newsday on the 05RL. It says that the Concept Car will be shown at the NY Auto Show in April. (It also said that Honda/Acura has a history of producing cars very close to their Concept Cars.) It also says that the car will be 300 HP AND AWD. A Hybrid gasoline/electric powertrain could also be part of the package. Acura would not confirm this, but "at least 8 local dealers" have said that they have been given info from Acura about the 300 HP and AWD. Dealers will get a chance to see the car at their meeting in Chicago Aug. 26th. The article further said that the car might have 300 HP in front and 100HP ELECTRIC (???) in the back. Finally, it said that a Honda VP, Thomas Elliott, has said "that the company was reaching the limit for increasing HP on it's FWD platform and would soon decide how to increase HP for each of its Acura models."