AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Porsche: Taycan News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/porsche-taycan-news-936186/)

#1 STUNNA 01-21-2021 12:07 AM

They figured out the charging issue, if they connect the Taycan at the recommended battery temp (hot) it asks for too much power from the charger which causes it to crash. If they connect it with a colder battery it won’t draw as much power initially so the charger doesn’t crash immediately and then the battery can wam up while charging and then hit the 250-270kw charging speed

oonowindoo 01-21-2021 12:09 AM

Unless they got too much time on their hand, no one would take any EV for a "normal" cross country trip.. Any EV... If they got that much time, they could do the cross country trip on a bicycle..

It is a logistic nightmare and many things could go wrong.. instead going where you wanna go, you trip is planned around chargers.

#1 STUNNA 01-21-2021 12:15 AM

LOL complaining about 4 major issues with software, lots of shit not working in the car and it’s the press car, should be perfect. Built in navigation is broken, Porsche dealership couldn’t fix it, screen died, can’t turn off heated seat, and can’t change ac temp in car. But the panel gaps are perfect 👌🏼

Yumcha 01-21-2021 09:56 AM

Wow, "entry" level Taycan? :love:

Tesla Model S, who?!??

kurtatx 01-21-2021 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16682122)
Unless they got too much time on their hand, no one would take any EV for a "normal" cross country trip.. Any EV... If they got that much time, they could do the cross country trip on a bicycle..

It is a logistic nightmare and many things could go wrong.. instead going where you wanna go, you trip is planned around chargers.

Keep thinking that. EV road trips are super easy. Plus you don't need to stop at shitty gas stations

oonowindoo 01-21-2021 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16682218)
Keep thinking that. EV road trips are super easy. Plus you don't need to stop at shitty gas stations

Are you talking about a 200/300 miles road trip or a cross country road trip?

Where you need to fill up is least of your concerns when you take a normal car to a cross country trip....

i am not sure what you mean by Super easy? as easy as normal cars? BS...

Comfy 01-24-2021 06:38 AM

I'm sorry to say dude, your ICE fortress (pack of cards) is crumbling gradually. It'll be over soon, don't worry.

oonowindoo 01-29-2021 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Comfy (Post 16683254)
I'm sorry to say dude, your ICE fortress (pack of cards) is crumbling gradually. It'll be over soon, don't worry.

Again, Let me repeat what i said last year.

We ALLLLLL agree here that E-cars are the future.

What you and I see differently is timeline.... I think we should be close to the # of years that you said EV will take over 100% of the car sales per the imaginary # you said in 2020.
Let me check the sales #..... Nope.

oonowindoo 01-29-2021 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16682218)

I Have been wanting to post this video for over a week :rofl: but i got banned for fighting Troll..

Anyway, this is from the Tesla owner: That video has 15M views and that guys has almost 3M Subscribers ..... who the hell is he?

Autopilot is great for road trips
But he will never take it forlong trips again. The total # of hours added is ridiculous (Almost double of what it would take with normal cars) and you will have to drive more miles to get more miles.

#1 STUNNA 01-29-2021 01:02 PM

^That video becomes less relevant every day. It's a year old they've added hundreds of more superchargers since then, the vast majority are 250kw, he's driving an old Model X performance with big rims which probably their most inefficient car that can't charge at 250kw, didn't seem like he really optimized his charging and let his vehicle unnecessarily charge for hours at slower rates, he spends 50 mins at a charger hanging out and eating breakfast that he says he only needs to spends 20 min at then counts that unnecessary extra time, goes shopping and eats multiple meals then counts all that extra time.

If he had drove it so that everytime he pulled up to the supercharger it was at a low state of charge and he stopped charging once the charge rate dropped down from 150kw and then headed to the next charger he would've gotten their sooner and spent much less time charging.

oonowindoo 01-29-2021 01:17 PM

Not going to argue with the technicality.

But as of 2021, that is still the reality of EV for cross country Road trips... Tesla is better because of the supercharger station. But for other EV it is even more inconvenient.
That goes back to the Taycan cross country trip. What the hell was the point of that? We know it can do it... it is just a matter of 3 days or 7 days or more.

Taking any EV on a cross country trip will increase the overall travel time significantly... unless that is what they wanted to do... We all know it can be done,,, it is just how long much longer it will take.

#1 STUNNA 01-29-2021 02:46 PM

The whole point was that a non Tesla held the record. That's the talking point, that EA charging network can take you across the country faster than previous cannonball attempts. If Tesla wanted to they could identify all of the super chargers along that route upgrade them to 250kw chargers in about month or two then have someone run it with the new Model S and it'd be much faster due to it's faster charging speed and increased efficiency thanks to the heat pump and better aerodynamics(.208cd). Even Kyle admitted that a Tesla could beat his record if they tried. He spent the 1st third of the trip only charging at 150kw max. Kyle said no one will really care about the next EV breaking the record until they can get it done under 40 hours. IDK if the new Model S could shave 4 hours off of they Taycan's time but I'd imagine 1-2 hours is doable. If they got an extra 50-75 miles on every charge then they could skip a few charging stations or drive faster between stations.

Man I'm really interested to see what the highway range of the new S is. When they added the heat pump to the 3 it added 30mi EPA range an almost 10% increase, but when they added it to the S, dropped the weight by 320lbs and improved the aero from .23 to .208 it only adds 2.5% range increase. Seems like they might be a little more accurate with their range this time around, or at least the highway mileage may be closer to the stated EPA range this time. :popcorn:

SamDoe1 01-29-2021 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA (Post 16685340)
^That video becomes less relevant every day. It's a year old they've added hundreds of more superchargers since then, the vast majority are 250kw, he's driving an old Model X performance with big rims which probably their most inefficient car that can't charge at 250kw, didn't seem like he really optimized his charging and let his vehicle unnecessarily charge for hours at slower rates, he spends 50 mins at a charger hanging out and eating breakfast that he says he only needs to spends 20 min at then counts that unnecessary extra time, goes shopping and eats multiple meals then counts all that extra time.

If he had drove it so that everytime he pulled up to the supercharger it was at a low state of charge and he stopped charging once the charge rate dropped down from 150kw and then headed to the next charger he would've gotten their sooner and spent much less time charging.

Lets do a race this summer. Find someone with a Tesla, don't care which one, I'll bring my VW and lets see which car can cover 600 miles the fastest when traveling the speed limit +/- 5mph.

I can already tell you what the result will be. No matter the charge speed and what charger you get hooked up to and how many cars are present, a gas car can "recharge" to full range in a matter of 3-5 minutes when it takes an EV 15-20 mins just to get to 80%.

oonowindoo 01-29-2021 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16685385)
Lets do a race this summer. Find someone with a Tesla, don't care which one, I'll bring my VW and lets see which car can cover 600 miles the fastest when traveling the speed limit +/- 5mph.

I can already tell you what the result will be. No matter the charge speed and what charger you get hooked up to and how many cars are present, a gas car can "recharge" to full range in a matter of 3-5 minutes when it takes an EV 15-20 mins just to get to 80%.

They first have to get the charging station.... not every supercharging station is located right next to where you wanted to go... However, gas stations are... they are literally Everywhere

That is what they said in that video... in addition to the charging time, you will have to drive there,, then drive back to continue on with your route.

Also driving speed and driving styles are also restricted to make sure you can get to the next charging station..... You wont have that issue with gas cars... you can Vtec all day all night.. cuz gas stations are everywhere...

The day that Tesla installs as many supercharging stations as gas stations in the US, then that is the day when EV will take over.

ttribe 01-29-2021 03:57 PM

There is a very attractive blonde female who drives around in a Taycan Turbo S near where I live. One day, I pulled up next to her in my M5 and managed to instigate some shenanigans. She kicked my ass. Every. Damn. Time. :pofl:

oonowindoo 01-29-2021 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16685406)
There is a very attractive blonde female who drives around in a Taycan Turbo S near where I live. One day, I pulled up next to her in my M5 and managed to instigate some shenanigans. She kicked my ass. Every. Damn. Time. :pofl:

Try to race at from 80 to top speed... you MIGHHHHHHT have a chance to catch her,..... eventually..... on the fast and furious style infinite airport runway...

thoiboi 01-29-2021 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ttribe (Post 16685406)

Was it SuperCarBlondie? :tomato:

jk you said attractive :precious:

ttribe 01-29-2021 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16685496)
Was it SuperCarBlondie? :tomato:

jk you said attractive :precious:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e86f989d72.gif

SamDoe1 01-29-2021 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16685398)
They first have to get the charging station.... not every supercharging station is located right next to where you wanted to go... However, gas stations are... they are literally Everywhere

That is what they said in that video... in addition to the charging time, you will have to drive there,, then drive back to continue on with your route.

Also driving speed and driving styles are also restricted to make sure you can get to the next charging station..... You wont have that issue with gas cars... you can Vtec all day all night.. cuz gas stations are everywhere...

The day that Tesla installs as many supercharging stations as gas stations in the US, then that is the day when EV will take over.

This is all part of my point, it won't win. It can't. He won't see if anyway since he has me blocked since I'm so negative about this stuff.

#1 STUNNA 02-03-2021 01:32 PM

@Yumcha

#1 STUNNA 02-04-2021 09:48 AM

#1 STUNNA 02-04-2021 09:59 AM

Reminder: The base Model S is .4 sec faster 0-60 than the Performance Y, and it has a lot more range than the base Taycan, all the features are standard you don't have to spend thousands extra to get a better speaker system, heated seats, air suspension, AWD, etc it's all included in it's 80k price unlike the Taycan. But hey gotta have those clicky buttons

ttribe 02-04-2021 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA (Post 16687516)
Reminder: The base Model S is .4 sec faster 0-60 than the Performance Y, and it has a lot more range than the base Taycan, all the features are standard you don't have to spend thousands extra to get a better speaker system, heated seats, air suspension, AWD, etc it's all included in it's 80k price unlike the Taycan. But hey gotta have those clicky buttons

Never mind build quality, though, right?

SamDoe1 02-04-2021 10:58 AM

No.
One.
Cares.

The Taycan sells quite well because of what it is. People who want a high performance sport sedan that's built well and are willing to pay for it. The sales figures speak for themselves.

If Teslas were built to the same levels as a Porsche, they'd cost just as much or the Taycan wouldn't sell a single unit. The fact is that they are not equivalent, not even close. 0-60 times and shoddy attempts at FSD are not what people in that tax bracket care about.

Yumcha 02-04-2021 11:55 AM

FWIW, while speed is one of the criteria, it isn't the show-stopper for me.

What I have in a Porsche -- on top of its heritage/history and rep -- is the aesthetics and interior that for me, is light-years better than the giant tablet set-up of the Model S. It's not even a comparison for me. It's Porsche all day all week all month all year.

oonowindoo 02-04-2021 12:47 PM

I'd take the Porsche any day everyday... unless you are out on the street to prove something, otherwise, i would not drag race E-cars.. i need my range to go to places...

thoiboi 02-04-2021 12:50 PM

I'm as big a Tesla fanboi as any but credit where credit is due, the Taycan is tits :love:

#1 STUNNA 02-10-2021 08:21 AM

Unintended acceleration!?

biker 02-10-2021 08:49 AM

While we obviously can’t rule out this being a genuine accident, the fact that all those cameras were there, plus this guy having a history with making a show out of destroying his cars, all just screams “staged” to us, which it probably was.
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...p-155838-7.jpg 9 photos

The video's title translates directly into “Mixed Pedals,” which has been known to happen and can be especially dangerous when it comes to high-powered electric vehicles like the Porsche Taycan. However, in those cases, the car is usually seen speeding off at an alarming rate because people tend to step pretty hard on what they believe is the brake.

In November of last year, we saw someone crash their Taycan in a driveway, and you can re-watch that debacle right here. As you can see, the car really took off thanks to that instant torque, and pedal misapplication was the likeliest culprit, even though it’s difficult to say for certain.

Well, guess who lit his car on fire a month prior to that Taycan crash? None other than this fella, Mikhail Litvin. He was allegedly so dissatisfied with reoccurring issues on his Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+ 4-door that he decided to drive it out to a field, light it on fire and upload the carnage to YouTube.

What are the odds that someone with more than 6 million followers will accidentally crash a Porsche Taycan Turbo S inside a Porsche dealership while all the cameras are rolling – and from multiple angles, mind you.

However, even if this was staged, it raises a variety of questions. Did he actually get permission from Porsche to do this? We feel like that would be a tough sell on his part, no matter how many million views he’s likely to get on the clip (it’s up to nearly 2.3 million after only a few hours).

Without the dealership’s consent, he would have had to make sure that he can execute the stunt safely without hitting any bystanders. It’s also “convenient” that he didn’t crash into any parked cars, as the damage to the fully electric sedan doesn’t seem all that bad. It’s also interesting that the driver side airbag didn’t go off.
Guy Wrecks Brand New Taycan Turbo S Inside Porsche Dealership - autoevolution

biker 02-23-2021 08:26 PM

Porsche’s Taycan Cross Turismo is completing its last development drives, an extensive testing program that has taken the newest Taycan to the Nürburgring-Nordschleife, the Hockenheim Grand Prix circuit, proving grounds and off the beaten path in the south of France, the Pyrenees, and an Africa-inspired off road track at the company’s Weissach Development Center. All told the car performed 620,352 testing miles, or 25 laps around the world measured at the equator.

The Cross Turismo has all-wheel drive and an adjustable ride height via the air suspension. The Cross Turismo’s extended roofline is obviously the biggest change compared to the sedan. Porsche says every detail was sweated to make the wagon interior as practical as possible, with engineers spending 650 hours on design, electronic and coordination on mocking up an accurate physical representation of the interior, and 1,500 workshop hours to complete it.

“When developing the Cross Turismo, we were of course able to build on our experience with the Taycan sports sedan. The biggest challenge was combining the requirements of sportiness with off-road capabilities,” said Vice President Model Line, Stefan Weckbach: “The Cross Turismo has to be capable of high performance on the race track and must also be able to handle scree, mud and gravel.” The latter conditions were simulated on the “Endurance Testing Ground” at the Weissach Development Center. “The result is impressive. However, the Cross Turismo is not a hardcore off-road vehicle, but specializes in unpaved and dirt roads. It’s like a type of Swiss army knife on up to 21-inch wheels.”

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...p&resize=480:*

The company said its EVs have to go through the same rigorous testing program as its combustion-engine powered sports cars, including Porsche-esque performance on the road and on the track and everyday usability regardless of climate. EVs add extra levels of complexity such as charging the battery and controlling powertrain temperatures. Porsche’s other development goals include repeated acceleration runs at full throttle and a range suitable for everyday use.

Porsche said it also did “extensive work” in the lab and on test benches. For example the Cross Turismo spent about 325 hours in the wind tunnel.

The Taycan sedan was launched late in 2019 and more than 20,000 have been sold. The new Cross Turismo is aimed at Taycan customers who want a bit more versatility.

The Taycan Cross Turismo launches this summer. Porsche sources in Germany told Autoweek we can expect the Cross Turismo lineup to mirror the sedan’s.
Here’s Our Best Look Yet at Porsche’s Taycan Cross Turismo (autoweek.com)

Yumcha 03-04-2021 04:28 PM

Geebus...

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...urismo-10.jpeg
https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...Turismo-4.jpeg
https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...Turismo-1.jpeg
https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...Turismo-3.jpeg
https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...Turismo-2.jpeg
https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...Turismo-5.jpeg
https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...Turismo-6.jpeg

SamDoe1 03-05-2021 09:09 AM

Gah, I wish I wasn't poor. I'd order one of these in a heartbeat.

Yumcha 03-07-2021 01:21 PM

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...160-scaled.jpg

Yumcha 03-07-2021 01:22 PM

Sighhhhh...

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...160-scaled.jpg

Sarlacc 03-08-2021 01:09 PM

I’ve seen a few Taycans on the road now. They just look so good.

oonowindoo 03-11-2021 01:28 PM

When my GF sees a Taycan.. she was like Dammnnnn and she is obviously not a car person.

When she sees a Tesla ..... she doesnt even notice it is a Tesla.. it is more bland looking than a Camry...

Yumcha 03-11-2021 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16698675)
When my GF sees a Taycan.. she was like Dammnnnn and she is obviously not a car person.

When she sees a Tesla ..... she doesnt even notice it is a Tesla.. it is more bland looking than a Camry...

Tesla exteriors are not bad though the Model X is ugly AF.

If they could do something about their interior overall though, I would consider Tesla as an option for an e-car in the future. But yeah...the Audi e-tron GT and the Taycan are beyond gorgeous. :love:

Yumcha 03-11-2021 02:12 PM

It's sorta does not count as it's a hybrid but the last non-petrol car that made my heart flutter is the BMW i8.

oonowindoo 03-11-2021 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16698683)
It's sorta does not count as it's a hybrid but the last non-petrol car that made my heart flutter is the BMW i8.

The 3 cylinders on the i8 at $150k totally killed any kind of desire for me but not that i can afford 1 anyway.. so BMW is not missing out on anything :rofl:

oonowindoo 03-11-2021 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yumcha (Post 16698682)
Tesla exteriors are not bad though the Model X is ugly AF.

If they could do something about their interior overall though, I would consider Tesla as an option for an e-car in the future. But yeah...the Audi e-tron GT and the Taycan are beyond gorgeous. :love:

I think Model Y is the ugliest one... that shape keeps reminding me of the bread i get from 85C...