Porsche: Panamera News

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
saw one on the road yesterday, everything looked good from the front, but everything after that looked bad
Old 02-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
ive seen three. all black. maybe its the color, but it doesnt look too bad. viewing the rear is a bit frustrating since theres no focal point - just a hatch and a license plate, so your eyes tend to wander. who would think that getting stuck behind a porsche in traffic would give you a headache. although the darker colors enhance the chrome bar that goes across the rear deck. that said, black ones are half decent.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-20-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The wine color interior and exterior are great. However, the wheels in the last pic are awful. They do not look right at all.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit, this thing looks awful in pictures. In person, though, it is not that bad. I saw 2 of these last weekend at the beach, and the front and side views are pretty nice. The back end, however, takes some getting used to. The one that was parked had a very mean looking stance, was all black, and I wouldn't mind being the owner of that one. The one that I saw driving was that horrible champagne, gold color and looked really out of place. The sound of that car as it was passing by was impressive, though. The black one had black rims, appeared to be lowered, and had a red interior. There is no Caddy in the world that could look as good as that Porsche did. I'm always in Santa Monica, so if I see it again, I'll take pics and post 'em up.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
It's nice how they switched from these stupid buttons to paddle shifters.

And I love the background on the photos, must be some Italian backroads. Car photography should always come with a blurb about where they shot the pics.
Still would stay with 6-speed if I trade up to the 991. More fun to drive IMO.

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
saw one on the road yesterday, everything looked good from the front, but everything after that looked bad
I saw a panamera heading towards me from the opposite direction and it looked so menacing with the black metallic paint. Much bigger in person than pics. But then the driver made a left hand turn and I caught a few of the back

I hope they fix the back for the Panamera coupe. Porsche is pretty good at listening to criticism and making changes as evidenced by the paddle shifters.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw one on the road yesterday. Had presence. I like it.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Gotta admit, it's not too bad after looking at its uglyness.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so ugly
Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
So the Panamera coupe will be a rebirth of the 928 basically? I think as a coupe it looks great (a little too much 911 in it like EVERY current Porsche, but oh well).
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
It's nice how they switched from these stupid buttons to paddle shifters.
I think the stupid buttons are standard while the proper paddle shifters are an extra cost option.

Only Porsche can get away w/ installing lame steering wheel shifters on their cars and then charging extra for proper ones.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:29 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I saw one today. Still fugly, but not AS bad as in pictures. But still fugly.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
the Panamera is like the chick you wouldn't consider fucking especially if there are other options... but if the opportunity was presented and did NOT take up any effort (no wine/dine, buying drinks, flirt etc etc...)... then, sure... why not? But definitely NO doggy style
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by is300eater
the Panamera is like the chick you wouldn't consider fucking especially if there are other options... but if the opportunity was presented and did NOT take up any effort (no wine/dine, buying drinks, flirt etc etc...)... then, sure... why not? But definitely NO doggy style
Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post 2011 Porsche Panamera S Hybrid

Press release...

The Panamera S Hybrid marks the beginning of a new chapter of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart’s Porsche Intelligent Performance, continuing the success story of its four door Gran Turismo. Without sacrificing sportiness and elegance, the new Gran Turismo combines the total power output of 380 hp (279 kW) with best case consumption of only 6.8 l/100 km (41.54 mpg imp.) of fuel based on the NEDC. That equates to CO2 emissions of just 159 g/km. That doesn't just make the Panamera S Hybrid the most economical Porsche of all time, it also puts it streets ahead of all the full hybrid production vehicles in its class, the luxury class, when it comes to fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. It achieves these values thanks to Michelin’s even lower rolling resistance all season tyres developed specially for the Panamera and available as an option. But even with the standard tyres, the new Porsche hybrid model’s fuel consumption is at an unprecedentedly low level in this class at 7.1 l/100 km (39.79 mpg imp.) based on the NEDC – which equates to 167 g/km CO2.

The Panamera S Hybrid sets new standards, both in terms of classic performance and when measured against hybrid vehicle characteristics. The Panamera S Hybrid accelerates from a standing start to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.0 seconds, reaching top speed at 270 km/h (168 mph). The range in purely electric mode is approximately two kilometres (1.24 miles) with electric driving possible up to 85 km/h (53 mph), depending on the driving situation. The Porsche hybrid drive is also the only system in the world able to exploit additional consumption reserves thanks to so-called "sailing" on motorways and main roads. This entails disengaging and switching off the combustion engine at speeds of up to 165 km/h (103 mph) (Cayenne S Hybrid: 156 km/h (97 mph) during phases when no power is being delivered by the combustion engine.

The Panamera S Hybrid is driven by the same engine combination that has already proved itself in the Cayenne S Hybrid: The main propulsion is provided by a three litre V6 compressor engine delivering 333 hp (245 kW) supported by a 47 hp (34 kW) electric motor. Both machines are capable of powering the Panamera S Hybrid either alone or in combination. The electric motor also operates both as a generator and a starter. Together with the decoupler it forms the compact hybrid module located between the combustion engine and the transmission. The electric motor is connected to a nickel metal hydride battery (NiMh) where the electrical energy recovered from braking and driving is stored. Power transmission is handled by the familiar eight-speed Tiptronic S fitted as standard in the Cayenne models with a wide spread of ratios.

The range of standard equipment for the Panamera S Hybrid is even wider than that of the already extensive standard equipment of the Panamera S with eight-cylinder engine. For example, the hybrid model is fitted as standard with the adaptive air suspension including the adaptive shock-absorber system with PASM, with Servotronic and a rear wiper. The new Gran Turismo also features the Cayenne S Hybrid’s innovative display concept that provides the driver with all the relevant information about the vehicle’s specific hybrid driving status.

With the new hybrid variant, the Panamera model line now comprises six different models. This offering underlines the strategic importance of “Porsche Intelligent Performance“ and creates totally novel highlights in the luxury segment – from sporty to environmentally friendly. This chimes with what customers want, as the major market success is already confirming. Approximately 15 months after sales started, not quite 30,000 vehicles have been delivered. That means the Gran Turismo has seized a 13 percent share of the upper and luxury segment. The new model will further boost the attractiveness of Porsche’s fourth model line in the market.

The Panamera S Hybrid will come on the market in June 2011 and cost 106,185 Euros in Germany, including VAT and country-specific equipment.

The Panamera S Hybrid will celebrate its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in early March. The press conference will be held at the Porsche stand in hall 1, stand 1050, at 7:30 a.m. on March 1, 2011 and will be webcasted live at www.porsche.com/geneva.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
nice. i have new found love for these. the 4 sport seat setup is great. for some reason, these have become more common than the S and 7 combined (in miami)...serisouly, every other corner. typical south florida mentality - if you could afford a S or 7, it would be stupid not to get a Porsche badged sedan.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-24-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Finalist for most ugly hybrid on the road!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2011 Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Press release...

With its new top model in the Gran Turismo model line, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is raising the bar for sporty four-door cars in the luxury class by yet another notch. The new Panamera Turbo S is a unique combination of performance and efficiency, driving dynamics and comfort. The 4.8 litre, V8 biturbo charged engine delivers 550 hp (410 kW), ten percent or 50 hp (37 kW) more than the already very powerful engine in the Panamera Turbo. By the same token, the torque also increases from 700 to 750 Nm. In the “Sport” and “Sport Plus” mode of the standard Sport Chrono Package Turbo and during kick-down in normal mode, the eight cylinder engine delivers fully 800 Nm with the so-called overboost function.

The power pack is behind the new top-of-the-range Panamera’s record sprint times. Thanks to Launch Control, 100 km/h (62 mph) is reached in 3.8 seconds; the top speed is 306 km/h (191 mph). Despite the increased performance, fuel consumption remains at the moderate level of the Panamera Turbo – yet another example of “Porsche Intelligent Performance”. In the NEDC the Gran Turismo covers 100 kilometres (62 miles) on 11.5 litres of fuel. Fuel consumption falls to 11.3 litres per 100 km (25 mpg imp.) when fitted with the 19 inch, all-season tyres with optimised rolling resistance developed for the Panamera by Michelin.

The increased performance compared with the Panamera Turbo can be attributed to two main enhancements: Improved turbochargers with titanium-aluminium turbine wheels and modified engine control. The use of the innovative titanium-aluminium alloy reduces the weight of the turbine and compressor wheel. This results in a lower moment of inertia and thus in improved and more agile engine responsiveness.

Even for a top luxury class model, Porsche’s new top-of-the-range Panamera boasts an extraordinarily comprehensive equipment level. In keeping with the sporty concept of the high-performance Panamera, it features the most important driving dynamics control systems as standard. For example, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), an active roll stabilisation system, nips in the bud the vehicle’s tendency to lean when cornering, thus enhancing agility and comfort in equal measure. Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus) applies a variable torque split to the rear wheels combined with an electronically controlled rear differential lock, thus ensuring superior traction and therefore greater agility in every driving situation. The steering system uses the speed-dependent Servotronic. The Sport Chrono Package Turbo, which tunes the suspension and power unit, making them even sportier by pressing the additional “Sport Plus” button, is also fitted as standard, as is the sports exhaust system for an even more emotional engine sound.

The sporty character of the new Panamera Turbo S is apparent not just in its performance but is also reflected on the exterior. The 20-inch Turbo II wheels with increased rear axle track width, side skirts from the Porsche Exclusive range and the adaptive extending four-way rear spoiler in the exterior colour ensure particularly sporty performance and look. The fusion of exclusivity and sportiness is conveyed in the interior by the bi-colour leather finish, fitted as standard. The new combination of black/cream is offered exclusively for the new Panamera Turbo S with agate grey/cream also being added as an exclusive combination from the autumn.

The Panamera Turbo S costs 167,076 euro in Germany, including VAT and country-specific equipment. Deliveries start in June 2011.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Hubba~hubba! This bad boy is really growing on me. Overkill for a commuter though, but what glorious overkill it would be.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
0-60 in 3.8 sec in a huge sedan... that car is nuts. I'm really liking it too now, I love seeing one in real life.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i see way too many of these on the road...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
i see way too many of these on the road...
I've seen one. And it was a Panamera Turbo in my community.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Tons on the road, still ugly. I took a P4S out for a testdrive, was not impressed.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post AutoBlog

I had been anticipating the pre-dawn run to the airport for a few days. Having spent the week with a Porsche Panamera Turbo, complete with the torque-boosting Sport Chrono pack (yes, that 1), the blast to SFO was a fitting sendoff. It was also perfectly timed.

I was boarding a marathon flight to Austria for the global launch of the Panamera S Hybrid, and after seven days with the Turbo, I was smitten. And concerned.

While the 500 horsepower and 568 pound-feet of torque from the boosted V8 proved the old adage about absolute power corrupting absolutely, it was the completeness of the Panamera package that left me slack-jawed. When the Stuttgart brain-trust puts its mind to something, they do it right. Look no further than half a century of rear-engined evolution and the much-maligned, but incredibly capable Cayenne. Now add the Panamera to that list. Its sheetmetal might not suit your tastes, but Porsche managed to create the best driving luxury sedan on the market. But a hybrid? They'd better not screw this up.

Porsche is calling this the world's fastest production hybrid and the most economical Porker of all time. With a 0-60 mph time of 5.7 seconds and a top speed of 168 mph, Porsche nailed the numbers for quick and fast. But with a starting price of $95,000, the "economical" claim is tough to swallow.

However, based purely on fuel consumption, Porsche's PR people have a point. The automaker pegs consumption at 6.8 liters/100 km on the Euro cycle (down from 10.3 for the S' 4.8-liter V8), which calculates to nearly 35 mpg overall. U.S. EPA figures haven't been released yet, but figuring the Cayenne Hybrid – equipped with the same drivetrain and coming in some 600 pounds heavier – manages 20/24 mpg, a combined figure in the high 20s should be easily within reach.

So what about that drivetrain? It's a variation of the setup fitted to the aforementioned Cayenne and its Volkswagen sibling, the Touareg Hybrid. It starts with VAG's supercharged 3.0-liter V6, outputting the same 333 horsepower you'd get in the Audi S4. Sandwiched between the V6 and the eight-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission is a 34kW (47-hp) electric motor that brings overall output up to 380 hp and makes this Panamera the world's 1st full parallel hybrid luxury sedan. The engine alone produces 325 lb-ft, but with the 221 lb-ft of torque created by the electric motor, maximum twist comes in at a claimed 428 lb-ft. The torque curves of the engine and motor meld seamlessly, with peak torque from the electric motor beginning at 1,150 rpm and bleeding off just as the ICE's supercharged torque kicks in to provide uninterrupted shove from 3,300 to 5,250 revs (redline stands at just over 6,500 rpm).

The combined effect is instant-on passing power at the drop of the throttle; not nearly as much horizon-come-hither thrust as the Turbo, but noticeably more than the V8-powered Panamera S, with it's comparatively paltry 369 lb-ft.

So yes, it's quick. And yes, it's smooth. And the eight-speed transmission is quicker and more refined than nearly anything else out of Germany or Japan. But to win on the technology and fuel economy front, the Panamera S Hybrid has to do more than just be another quick Porsche. And that's where it succeeds and surprises.

As you'd expect from any modern hybrid, the Panamera allows you to motor along under electric power as soon as you twist the key. Porsche claims you can hit speeds up to 52.8 mph in "favorable driving conditions" without ever tapping into the V6. However, even the lightest feather-foot would be lucky to max out at 15 or 20 mph before the internal combustion engine kicks in to provide additional motivation.

Try as we might, we could never get over 25 mph without having the V6 turn over, even after pressing the E-Power button to modify the throttle mapping, and we suspect that even in the mythical ideal conditions, the average driver will never get past 30 mph without gasoline assistance. But what's more impressive is the Panamera's engine shut-off at "sailing speeds." By easing off the throttle – up to a maximum of 103 mph – the V6 shuts down and the tach drops into the "Ready" mode. The transition is utterly and completely seamless (we could barely hear the engine at part throttle to begin with), and there's nary an ounce of lag or drivetrain shutter as the V6 restarts. It's easily the most fluid, refined changeover we've experienced in a gasoline-electric vehicle.

The cost of all this tech – beyond the $5,000 premium over the V8 S, marginally mitigated by additional standard features, including adaptive air suspension – is weight. The air-cooled, 288-volt nickel-metal hydride battery mounted low in the trunk only weighs in at 160 pounds, and marginally reduces trunk capacity by 110 liters, but overall weight is up over the S by nearly 400 pounds. Despite this, and thanks to an admirable 51:49 weight distribution in the only drivetrain configuration available (rear-wheel drive), the Hybrid drives as well as its conventionally powered siblings.

The electrically-assisted, speed-sensitive steering takes the prize for directness and communication, while the brakes, which come on abruptly during the first 1/4 inch of travel, smooth out to provide linear, fade-free deceleration with the slightest hint of regen. Eighteen-inch wheels with 245/50 R18 rubber in front and 275/45 R18 rollers in the rear come as standard, but the 19-inch wheels on our tester (equipped with 255/45 R19 front, 285/40 R19 rear Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires) still looked undersized when nestled into the cavernous wheel arches. And we'll be the first to admit that the "hybrid" badging on the doors looks as ostentatious as the tacked-on afterthought they are (10 minutes with a hair dryer and some dental floss should rectify that).

While cost-conscious Europeans might be more inclined to opt for the forthcoming diesel Panamera, the Hybrid S has a sort of twisted, techie appeal that we can't seem to get over. It might be slightly compromised over its V6 and V8 brethren, but the overall demeanor and driving experience comes through as pure Porsche: highly involved, remarkably well executed and drawing a bead on evolving the hybrid equation into more than just a lackluster, fuel-sipping conveyance for the environmentally conscious. It's not just a worthwhile addition to the Panamera family, it's a legitimate alternative for V8-averse luxury buyers. And knowing Porsche, it's obvious I shouldn't have worried.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
uuuuuuummmmmmmm buttons
Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

uuuuuuummmmmmmm ugly
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by myron
uuuuuuummmmmmmm buttons
I believe that is the interior direction for Porsche...the new Cayenne's all have a similar look.

After test-driving a Cayenne last week...I actually really like the interior.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumcha
I believe that is the interior direction for Porsche...the new Cayenne's all have a similar look.

After test-driving a Cayenne last week...I actually really like the interior.
That's good to hear. I am worried about the new 991 having all those crazy buttons.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
i'm not gonna lie but this the looks of this car is growing on me. And I would not mind owning one...
Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Panamera is one of those cars that has to be seen in the flesh to be fully appreciated. I LOVE them and never thought I would when I first saw the pictures. It's a BEAST!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The mass of buttons probably isn't as bad as you guys think. You'd probably get used to it after driving it everyday for a month, tops, unless you were senile or severely technologically illiterate.

The rear however... still looks like a hearse. I don't care if it has a Porsche badge on it, it looks like a Crosstour.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, the car's plethora of buttons isn't so bad...essentially, there's one button for everything.

The car does look okay...from the front. But, that back...it'll take some getting used to.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2012 Porsche Panamera GTS

Press release...

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart’s sportiest Gran Turismo is leaving the pits: the Panamera GTS. The clue is in the name. At Porsche, GTS stands for Gran Turismo Sport, promising extraordinary Porsche performance ever since the legendary 904 Carrera GTS back in 1963.

More power and upgraded brakes, a body lowered by ten millimetres and the especially sportily tuned chassis with air suspension and PASM are the major technical modifications that make it the Panamera model capable of cutting it on the racing circuit – without sacrificing practicality. The sportiest of all Panameras also conveys this to occupants and the outside world by its striking sound. In terms of looks, the new Panamera GTS signals its independence by distinctive design features in the front-end, side and rear area as well as black highlights. The interior as well is rigorously tailored to the sporty personality with sports seats, SportDesign steering wheel with shift paddles, exclusive GTS leather interior and Alcantara surfaces.

The power unit in the new Panamera GTS is a modified 4.8-litre naturally aspirated V8 engine, delivering 430 hp (316 kW) at 6,700 rpm, trumping the engine in its Panamera S/4S sister models by 30 hp (22 kW). The maximum torque also increased by comparison, from 500 Nm to 520 Nm. The way in which at the push of a button the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) transmits the engine output to the all-wheel drive (PTM) – thanks to the Sport Chrono package featured as standard without interruption to the power flow – is especially dynamic. This collaboration enables the Panamera GTS to sprint to 100 km/h in under 4.5 seconds, accelerating on to its top speed of 288 km/h. With NEDC fuel consumption of 10.9 l/100 km – only 10.7 l/100 km with low-friction tyres – the Panamera GTS remains as much of an efficiency role model in its milieu as all Porsche models.

The standard values for sprint and top speed don’t do full justice to the new Panamera GTS’s sporty characteristics. Its chassis in particular makes it fit for the racing circuit: The adaptive air suspension and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) featured as standard connect the chassis and body, constantly adapting to the driving challenges by regulating levelling settings, adjusting height, adjusting the spring rate and electrically adjusting the damping system. The damping is designed to be tauter, which helps agility and further reinforces the new Gran Turismo’s sporty personality. Five millimetre thick wheel spacers between the wheel and the wheel carriers increase the rear axle track width, giving the Panamera an even more stable ride. The required grip is provided by 255/45 size 19-inch tyres on the front axle and 285/40 on the rear axle. Deceleration on the sporty Panamera is provided by the superlative braking system of the Panamera Turbo. The Panamera GTS is being launched in February 2012 with a price tag of 116.716 €.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
wow
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i love these cars
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

At least Porsche is consistent in bringing the ugly with this car.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Porsche releases Panamera Sport Turismo (wagon) concept

Autoblog Article

Quick Reply: Porsche: Panamera News