AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Porsche: Panamera News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/porsche-panamera-news-99194/)

gavriil 03-31-2003 08:11 PM

Porsche: Panamera News

Rumor is that Porsche is developing a Jag Fighter too, a V8 Coupe' with foor doors codenamed E2. "The E2A is a 2+2 coupe, while E2B is a four-door sports wagon/shooting brake" according to Issue 488 April 2003 of "CAR" magazine. "Both are powered by the V8 Cayenne, and both have the potential to be offered in rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive." Theirs may have rear-hinged doors similar to the new Mazda RX-8 but unlike the CLE which will have doors that open conventionally. Porsche originally made an attempt to build this car with their "989" prototype developed in the mid-nineties. At that time the board of directors turned down the car saying it was "too far away from their sports car tradition". After the Cayenne, they must be thinking differently. If this car makes it to the market, Mercedes may not be standing alone with their "Jag Fighter"....

DelawareCLS 03-31-2003 09:59 PM

If this is true, I have to say that I am saddened to see one the last great sports car manufacturers finally giving way to mass market.

Porsche has always stood for unique, edgy performance, but that mentality is getting crunched in today's market (boomers aging, family orientation, etc). The economy does not help either - $80,000 2 seater sports cars aren't doing well for anyone right now.

Anyone know how the Cayenne is doing anyway? I have yet to see one on the road.

gavriil 04-01-2003 09:30 AM

The Cayenne is not doing that well either. Here:

From auto spies

Sales are just above average (we'll give it a C+) since the intro. And we gave them the + because the Turbo is fairly hot.

Of course, of the two models, the turbo is harder to get, but you can still get one if you call around.

The "S" version is another story.

It is in PLENTIFUL supply and dealers are ALREADY discounting them, by a reasonably hefty sum (anywhere from $1500 over invoice to $4K over). Let's just say if you wanted to describe the situation you could say they are "poised" to meet demand on the "S".

So, as we predicted months ago, even though Porsche is saying the first 25K are sold out, well you now know, the rest of the story.

GreenMonster 04-01-2003 11:26 AM

Porsche, it seems, has devoted more of it's resources to developing non-sports cars. Porsche is not as devoted to racing as it once was. Racing was what used to sell porsches...

Red Rider 04-01-2003 10:42 PM

It's a different world now and they have to compete. As long as they are still making 911s and Boxters why do you care that they are expanding ? Maybe without these new products, there would be no Porsche.

DISRUPTV 04-02-2003 09:51 AM

i would rather buy a 4dr porsche sport sedan than an porsche SUV

DelawareCLS 04-03-2003 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Red Rider
It's a different world now and they have to compete. As long as they are still making 911s and Boxters why do you care that they are expanding ? Maybe without these new products, there would be no Porsche.
My concern is more along the lines of resources and how they are applied. Porsche has historically been a company that proves its products on the racetrack and then puts them on the street in a high-quality offering that is not conformist or cookie-cutter.

I agree that their struggles have forced them to expand, and I think they will offer more and more good vehicles, I just worry about the focus that will be available on what made them great. Will theirs remain one of the top sports car offerings (arguably the top)?

GreenMonster 04-07-2003 10:15 AM

I just think it's kinda funny when FORD gets an F1 podium and Porsche has SUVs hitting the showroom floor :)

Silver™ 08-07-2003 11:08 PM

Porsche sedan rumor

The success of the Cayenne is extremely important for the future of the company, not just from a supplemental revenue standpoint. If sales are good it will pave the way for a new Porsche.

Porsche will use the platform for an 8-cylinder super sedan to compete against the M5 and others...

SilverCL225hp 08-07-2003 11:39 PM

I really think Porsche should do that. Make something against M5, E55 AMG, and RS6 and then price it in $90,000 range.

Zoot 08-08-2003 06:51 AM

Except the E55/M5 etc. market is so limited and specific, it would be hard to get as many sales as an SUV would....

KCPreki11 08-08-2003 08:12 PM

Porsche Sedan would look interesting.

Zapata 08-09-2003 06:40 AM

it's about time......

Red Nj-s 08-09-2003 09:41 AM

I don't really like Porsche, and I don't think I'd really like their sedan either.

The Maserati Quatroporte on the other hand is hot as hell.

gavriil 08-09-2003 10:51 AM

I think we will see more than a Porsche sedan from Porsche in the intermediate future. Porsche will only grow, as far as, number of offerings. A smaller Cayenne (ala-X3) should not be a surprise.

NOVAwhiteTypeS 08-14-2003 05:08 PM

a porchese sedan? hmm yummy bout w/ turbo it'll be WAYY over the 6 digit figure, but if u could offerd a 100k car then I think 100k 200k 300k are all the same...

Sarlacc 08-14-2003 05:40 PM

I thought sales of the cayenne were sucking?

How can they even comtemplate any of this with a possibel failure on their hands?

I, on the other hand would be interested in seeing a design mock up of what they are thinking for a sedan. Could be cool as hell, or ugly as sin.

gavriil 09-15-2003 11:53 AM

Porsche mulls a sedan model positioned below automaker's current range

I have posted this as a rumor a few months ago. Now Porsche unofficially admits they are up to somthing like it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porsche mulls a sedan model positioned below automaker's current range

By DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News

FRANKFURT — Porsche AG — a name synonymous with high-priced, high-performance vehicles — is considering a downshift into more mainstream sedan segments for its next model range.

The so-called fourth Porsche now under study by the German luxury sports-car maker likely will be positioned well below the company’s current range, CEO Wendelin Wiedeking disclosed at the Frankfurt auto show last week.

“We are thinking about a fourth model range, and we have good ideas,” he said. “But if the car we have in mind comes to the market, we will have fewer friends than we have today,” he joked, a reference to the competition the car would pose to other automakers.

He would not disclose the proposed vehicle’s body style.

Industry sources have said that Porsche has been studying a four-passenger coupe, code-named E2A, and a four-door sedan, code-named E2B.

Wiedeking also said Porsche will increase production of the Cayenne SUV by an undisclosed amount next year in the face of higher-than-expected demand. The company has capacity to build 25,000 Cayennes a year at its plant in Leipzig, Germany, but sold 20,603 in its first eight months on the market.

“It seems that existing capacity is too low,” he said.

The size of the production increase will be announced at year end, Wiedeking said.

Unlike the 911 and Boxster, the Cayenne derives far less than half its worldwide sales from the U.S. market. Demand for the Cayenne has been high in the Mideast, Asia and Eastern Europe, Wiedeking said.

U.S. sales of the Cayenne through August totaled 7,514, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

The SUV, Porsche’s first, is priced at $56,665, including destination fees in the United States. A turbo model stickers for $89,665.

Porsche will introduce an entry-level Cayenne equipped with a

250- hp Volkswagen V-6 engine next year, but Wiedeking dismissed speculation that potential buyers would shun the model because it won’t have a Porsche powerplant.

Two 1970s-era Porsche models, the 914 and 924, were flops in large part because they were built around VW components and powerplants.

“We have spent heavily to improve the VW engine,” Wiedeking said. “It will sell. What is more important will be the price.”

Wiedeking said Porsche anticipates that the Cayenne V-6 buyer will trade up to the V-8 model or to the turbo, as buyers of Boxsters tend to trade up to 911s.

gavriil 09-15-2003 11:55 AM

Actuall it was not me but SilverSoCal_CL-P.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...=porsche+sedan

gavriil 12-02-2003 03:15 PM

Porsche plans new vehicle

There have been rumors about this and reference to this forum about it, but this is the first comprehensive article about it from such a reliable source.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porsche plans new vehicle
Reuters / December 02, 2003

FRANKFURT -- Porsche is close to building a new four-seater coupe or sports sedan to jump start its profits as its business begins to stall after nine record years, industry experts said on Tuesday.

The world's most profitable automaker, which built its reputation on race-winning sports cars, branched out into a new niche a year ago with a two-ton SUV, the Cayenne, a strategy which helped maintain growth as demand for its traditional 911 and Boxster cars waned.

But as its sports car sales continue to slide and the initial impact of the Cayenne subsides, the company has said profits could be flat this year, disappointing investors who were hoping for a 10th straight record year.

"There is a good chance that a fourth model announcement could encourage the idea that Porsche is once again a growth story," Goldman Sachs analysts said in a recent note.

"We believe Porsche's fourth model plans are already advanced, with the car's development under way, suppliers closely involved and, according to our sources, prototypes now testing on private tracks."

The maker of some of the world's most desirable cars has long been expected to decide on a fourth model, but has left enthusiasts salivating for more detail.

Porsche, which will be grilled on its plans at its annual press conference in Stuttgart, Germany, on Wednesday, is now expected to make a decision early next year, with the car not expected to hit the market until 2006 or 2007.

CEO Wendelin Wiedeking has merely hinted that the vehicle could take Porsche into a new niche and attack rivals where they don't expect it, telling a German newspaper recently: "We'll have even fewer friends in the car industry."

GO IT ALONE?

Speculation has been rife about what the model could be -- ranging from a baby SUV to a luxury executive saloon -- but the clear favorite is a four-seat sports coupe or sedan.

The new model is likely to use parts from the Cayenne, developed with Volkswagen, and could be based either on a new platform or on another base shared with VW, experts say.

"As an engineering base it's a toss up between two options," said Mark Fulthorpe of industry research group CSM Worldwide.

"One could be the current base that they share with VW for the Cayenne. The other is to get a similar agreement with VW to utilise the platform which VW will use for vehicles like the Audi A8 and the Phaeton."

Such a move could also benefit VW, allowing it to get more volume from a luxury car platform which has proved costly.

VW company expects to take a hit of several hundred million dollars to write off some of the capitalized r&d costs this year, suggesting hundreds of millions of dollars of investment will never generate a return.

VW has said it is working on a platform for a new mid-sized luxury model which industry experts say could also be used by Italian sportscar maker Maserati, and form an ideal base for Porsche's new car. VW declined to comment.

But other analysts said that Porsche, which made $1.12 billion before tax in its last business year to the end of July, has enough cash to develop a new platform on its own and note its high levels of capital expenditure this year.

"We still cannot figure out how Porsche spent 500 million euros in 02/03 unless it is ramping up engine capacity to allow supply for the fourth model, paying for supplier tooling and investing in stamping tooling for a new platform," Goldman said.

Industry experts also question the logic of rivals helping Porsche develop a car which will ultimately attack them on what they might long have thought of as safe territory.

"Porsche has historically relied on the generosity of the German industry, like developing the Cayenne with VW. If they're going to take the industry on in such a lucrative sector why would anyone help them out," one industry watcher said.

Sdog2012 12-03-2003 11:16 AM

a sedan would really help porsche, should be pretty sweet

Neech 12-03-2003 11:27 AM

They've gone so far from their niche they won't ever be the same...

SilverCL225hp 12-03-2003 01:53 PM

A Porsche sport sedan would definitely kick M5's ass.

chungkopi 12-03-2003 02:48 PM

i want that porsche..

Python2121 12-03-2003 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Neech
i was just thinking "so much for their image"

Black CL-S 4-Life 12-04-2003 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Neech
:werd:

gavriil 12-05-2003 06:24 PM

http://216.73.106.70/SP32-20031204-102112.jpg

gavriil 12-19-2003 10:03 PM

http://www.autozeitung.de/heft/images/teaser_01.jpg

http://216.73.106.70/SP32-20031217-091441.jpg

chungkopi 12-23-2003 06:49 PM

AMAZING!

Chaptorial 12-23-2003 09:58 PM

Is it gonna go up aganist the 6 series or is it out of that price range?

thatguy 12-29-2003 12:53 PM

A BRAND NEW 928!!!! not that we really need one, but itd be cool

Black CL-S 4-Life 12-29-2003 02:02 PM

I love it! I hope they keep it under 65K

pimpscls 12-29-2003 07:53 PM

nice

amisconception 12-29-2003 07:59 PM

isn't under 65k laughable?

Black CL-S 4-Life 12-30-2003 07:41 AM

Originally posted by amisconception
It might be but I can dream can't I?

amisconception 12-30-2003 04:21 PM

you sure can :)

einsatz 12-30-2003 04:54 PM

Originally posted by amisconception
I know I laughed when I read Black CL-S 4-Life's post :D

I like it.

Davediego 01-05-2004 01:15 AM

thats a very hot car, they should expand the engine options to include the boxster engine and have a version under 60k

gavriil 01-16-2004 03:55 PM

http://216.73.106.70/SP32-20040115-133041.jpg

http://216.73.106.70/SP32-20040114-091240.jpg

Source: Auto Spies

gavriil 04-12-2004 10:12 PM

http://www.pcars.us/albums/251.jpg

Source: pcars.us