Porsche: Cayenne News

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New Cayenne A Glass Act - - By Dan Strong - - Source: Autoexpress

Even Porsche admits that people either love or hate the look of the Cayenne - and the magazine's pictures will certainly keep opinions split. They show the controversially styled car is getting a facelift - and if you didn't like the off-roader before, you probably still won't.

The revised Porsche is due on sale early next year, and the biggest alteration revealed by this non-turbo V8 Cayenne S is the full-length glass sunroof. The front gets a revamped grille and deeper bumper. Subtle changes to the tailgate include revised metal trim and extra protection around the loading area. There's also a new guard under the off-roader, which will improve the Cayenne's ground clearance and, as a result, its mud-plugging ability.

Complementing this, the previously optional suspension package for coping in the rough stuff becomes standard, as do sporty quad exhaust tailpipes. There are also expected to be improvements to the generous cabin spec.

While hi-tech extras such as sat-nav won't be included, the car is set to get an updated trip computer and revised stereo. The revamp is a response to in-creasing competition in the luxury SUV market, and applies to all three models.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am wondering if the above "full length glass moonroof" is the same "Targa" models spied mentioned in page 3 of this thread:

-----
------
------
------

Old 07-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So they shrunk the headlights and grill openings?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
looks the same to me...then again all suv's are starting to look the same to me.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:50 PM
__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
looks the same to me...then again all suv's are starting to look the same to me.
That isnt the revised version. it's a V6 model testing pic taken from a while ago
Old 09-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Porsche Unveils 500-HP Cayenne Turbo Option & Panorama Roof

Porsche Unveils 500-HP Cayenne Turbo Option & Panorama Roof
Company also Offers an Optional Rearview Camera for all Cayenne Models
Stuttgart-based Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG is expanding its Cayenne customization program to include increased horsepower for the Cayenne Turbo, an automatically extending rearview camera on all three Cayenne models, and new Panorama roof system that is approximately four times larger than the standard Cayenne tilt-and-slide sunroof.

Beginning in December 2004, Porsche will offer increased horsepower for the Cayenne Turbo through its Tequipment program. The upgrade includes increasing the engine performance from 450 to 500 horsepower, a reinforced brake system and an adapted suspension system requiring 19-inch or larger wheels. Thus equipped, the Cayenne Turbo can reach a top test-track speed of 167 mph (series production: 165 mph), and a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.9 seconds (Cayenne Turbo with 450 horsepower: 5.2 seconds). Fuel consumption, as with the 450 horsepower Cayenne Turbo, remains unchanged at 13 mpg city/18 mpg highway.

Porsche achieved the 50 extra horsepower by optimizing the flow design of the intercooler and other engine management developments. In conjunction with changed accelerator pedal characteristics, this results in an optimized torque build-up and even sportier engine characteristics. The maximum torque has increased from 460 to 515 pounds-feet, and maximum torque is available between 2,250 and 4,750 rpm.

The front brake system has a new aluminum six-piston monobloc disc-brake caliper with a brake pad area that is more than 12 percent larger than the standard Cayenne Turbo front brake system. The brake disc is 14.96 inches/380 mm in diameter and 1.5 inches/38 mm thick (series production: 13.78 inches/350 mm in diameter and 1.34 inches/34 mm thick). Porsche engineers also optimized the brake ventilation. The rear brakes discs have also been enlarged to 14.1-inches/358 mm (series production: 13 inches/330 mm).

The Cayenne Turbo with the Tequipment upgrade is available for a U.S. MSRP of $109,200. A retrofit package is available through Tequipment for $18,500 plus installation at an authorized Porsche dealer.

Variable Panorama Roof System for all Cayenne Models
From December 2004, all Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbos are available with an optional electrically operated Panorama roof system made from laminated safety glass. It has a surface area of just over 15 square feet/1.4 square meters and is approximately four times larger than typical sliding sunroof/pop-up sunroof systems.

The panorama roof system features three movable segments and one fixed segment. The front segment swings up when opened and acts as a wind deflector, which minimizes wind noise and turbulence at high speeds. The two central glass segments can be opened separately to allow a targeted flow of fresh air for the front and/or rear areas. The two segments can be pushed above or below one another, and to maximize the opening both segments can be moved all the way to the rear. In addition, it is possible to set the roof system in a raised position over the rear seats. In total, 15 different roof configurations can be selected.

In addition, an electric roller blind helps protect the interior from excessive sunlight. The entire roof system is operated by way if an illuminated rotary switch located in the roof console. The system is available for a U.S. price of $3,900.

Rearview Camera for Precise Maneuvering
All Cayenne models also will be offered worldwide beginning in December 2004 with a rearview camera system.

The camera, which is mounted just below the rear window and features a wide-angle lens, extends automatically when the reverse gear is selected. Once activated, it provides the driver with a clear image of the area behind the car via the 6.5-inch full-color display on the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system. This system not only provides precise reverse parking and the ability to see obstacles behind the car, it also lets the driver couple a trailer without the driving having to rely on a second person providing directions. A cover plate moves to protect the rearview camera once a forward gear is selected or at speeds above 9 mph/15 km/h. The U.S. price will be $1,680.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

sick!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:01 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Now that's a moonroof!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:21 PM

Now that is luxury. Nice option. though is sadness me to see Porsche invest all this R&R in a fucking SUV. How about some more SPORTS CARS???? And not 500 versions of the 911. Bring back the 944, etc. 914, hell 356.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hybrid Porsche? Toyota system may be used to power version of Cayenne - - By GERHARD MAUERER | Automotive News Europe - - Source: Autoweek

STUTTGART -- Porsche may build a hybrid version of its Cayenne SUV using a Toyota powertrain, a Porsche source says.

Toyota and the German carmaker would adapt the gasoline-electric powertrain to be used in the Lexus RX 400h, the source told Automobilwoche, a German sister publication of Automotive News. The RX 400h, based on the Lexus RX 330, is slated to go on sale in the United States in December.

The Porsche source says the automaker is conducting feasibility studies for a hybrid Cayenne.

Porsche has said it won't offer diesel models, so it needs an alternative powertrain that uses less fuel and emits less pollution.

Porsche needs to meet tougher tailpipe regulations in Europe and the United States, where rule changes are beginning to take effect. Stricter U.S. emissions regulations will be phased in through 2009. The United States is Porsche's No. 1 sales market.

Toyota thinks the 270-hp system on the RX 400h is suitable for the Cayenne. "The system in our Lexus SUV would fit well on the Cayenne," says a Toyota manager, who adds that Toyota's aim is to spread its hybrid technology worldwide.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Hybrid Cayenne

Hybrid Porsche? Toyota system may be used to power version of Cayenne
GERHARD MAUERER | Automotive News Europe
Posted Date: 10/25/04
STUTTGART -- Porsche may build a hybrid version of its Cayenne SUV using a Toyota powertrain, a Porsche source says.

Toyota and the German carmaker would adapt the gasoline-electric powertrain to be used in the Lexus RX 400h, the source told Automobilwoche, a German sister publication of Automotive News. The RX 400h, based on the Lexus RX 330, is slated to go on sale in the United States in next spring.

The Porsche source says the automaker is conducting feasibility studies for a hybrid Cayenne.

Porsche has said it won't offer diesel models, so it needs an alternative powertrain that uses less fuel and emits less pollution.

Porsche needs to meet tougher tailpipe regulations in Europe and the United States, where rule changes are beginning to take effect. Stricter U.S. emissions regulations will be phased in through 2009. The United States is Porsche's No. 1 sales market.

Toyota thinks the 270-hp system on the RX 400h is suitable for the Cayenne. "The system in our Lexus SUV would fit well on the Cayenne," says a Toyota manager, who adds that Toyota's aim is to spread its hybrid technology worldwide.

Honda better jump on whoring their Hybrid technology before Toyota floods the market.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
:wtf:

Porsche is just pissing away its customer base if it puts a Toyota powertrain in its vehicles. That's just .
Old 10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm guessing the gas Engine will be Porche's but the Electric motor and subsequent hardware will be Toyota's.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
hmmm...very interesting... I wonder how well that'd go...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
I'm guessing the gas Engine will be Porche's but the Electric motor and subsequent hardware will be Toyota's.
From my reading though, that's not the impression I got. It sounded more to me like they were planning on transplanting a Toyota powertrain package into a Cayenne, which would be defeating the purpose.

And besides, the current entry-level Cayenne sports a VW-made VR6 motor, which I already consider an affront to the brand. At the very least they should have looked into finding a way to adapt their technology.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, now that's really a hybrid. It's a hybrid in that it uses gasoline and electric propulsion and it's a hybrid in that the powertrain comes from a different manufacturer.

On one hand, that's a good thing because you know that system will be more reliable than something built by Porsche. On the other hand, who wants a Porsche that drives like a Toyota???

It makes more sense to me for them to use that power plant in the Touareg than the Cayenne.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Wow, now that's really a hybrid. It's a hybrid in that it uses gasoline and electric propulsion and it's a hybrid in that the powertrain comes from a different manufacturer.

On one hand, that's a good thing because you know that system will be more reliable than something built by Porsche. On the other hand, who wants a Porsche that drives like a Toyota???

It makes more sense to me for them to use that power plant in the Touareg than the Cayenne.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:18 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
:wtf:

Porsche is just pissing away its customer base if it puts a Toyota powertrain in its vehicles. That's just .
I think the way it would work...or hopefully work...would be for Toyota techies to come in and apply the technology Toyota has developed to Porsche powertrains. Simply telling Porsche how it could be done using what Porsche has in its parts bin.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:44 PM
101 years of heartache...

next Porsche should come out with an entry level economy coupe to compete with the Acura RSX and Scion tC. Or better yet, the Civic and Corolla. Come on Porsche, what are you guys doing? (or shall we say Audi). The Toureg gets a Diesel, that I can understand, but a prestigious Performance SUV with Toyota hybrid technology or theology is absurd. It's a good idea for Lexus or Acura, but Porsche should stick to what Porsche does best. This whole Cayenne thing is kind of weird too, but it sells very well for a Porsche.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
next Porsche should come out with an entry level economy coupe to compete with the Acura RSX and Scion tC. Or better yet, the Civic and Corolla. Come on Porsche, what are you guys doing? (or shall we say Audi). The Toureg gets a Diesel, that I can understand, but a prestigious Performance SUV with Toyota hybrid technology or theology is absurd. It's a good idea for Lexus or Acura, but Porsche should stick to what Porsche does best. This whole Cayenne thing is kind of weird too, but it sells very well for a Porsche.
Well, Porsche is not a non-profit engine research organization.. I guess they thought they could make more money by selling Toyota hybrid Cayenne...
Old 10-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think Porsche is playing it smart. Despite all the promise of hydrogen fuel, the immediate availability of hybrids makes them more desirable, and anyone who's left without one will not last long in the game. MB is working on its hybrid system, too.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

More hybrids ... all goodness. I'll just keep waiting for my '08 TSX hybrid (unless another Acura hybrid pre-empts around '06 - RDX ... IMA TL ... mmmm)
Old 10-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Teh ?

This seems to be the way that Toyota is recuping the initial investment into hybrid research. First Ford, and now Porsche......

Junkster, who has more automotive news.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:00 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Junkster
This seems to be the way that Toyota is recuping the initial investment into hybrid research. First Ford, and now Porsche...[\QUOTE]
They don't supply Ford, but they will be supplying Nissan.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by domn
They don't supply Ford, but they will be supplying Nissan.
I thought the Ford Escape hybrid was a Toyota tech?

Junkster, who's sure he read that somewhere
Old 10-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

I thought the Ford Escape hybrid was a Toyota tech?

Junkster, who's sure he read that somewhere
Actually, I remember reading something about this too...
Old 10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
From my reading though, that's not the impression I got. It sounded more to me like they were planning on transplanting a Toyota powertrain package into a Cayenne, which would be defeating the purpose.

And besides, the current entry-level Cayenne sports a VW-made VR6 motor, which I already consider an affront to the brand. At the very least they should have looked into finding a way to adapt their technology.
If they haven't put off their customer base by building an SUV in the first place, then by putting a VW engine in it, then I really doubt they can do any damage by putting a Toyota hybrid powertrain in it.

Besides, there's a lot more than just an engine that makes a Porsche a Porsche, and it's not like those Cayenne owners are all big enthousiasts anyway. If they were they wouldn't be buying an SUV.

Yes, Ford Escape uses Toyota tech (but Ford prides itself on doing the software )
Old 10-26-2004, 02:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Belzebutt

Yes, Ford Escape uses Toyota tech (but Ford prides itself on doing the software )

You sure about that. I was reading this morning that Ford's battery supplier can't produce as many as Ford needs so the Escape Hybrd will be limited to 20.000 units. There was no mention of Toyota anywhere. And I'd imagine Toyota would have the same battery supply issues. So either Ford is using their own battery supplier or there doing a great job of hiding Toyota's involvement.

I think initailly Ford was in talks to use Toyota's technology but later decided to use their own. Can anyone else shed some light on this?
Old 10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I don't think the Escape hybrid shares Toyota tech. There's no mention of it anywhere, and I'm pretty sure Toyota would offer it first on the RAV4 before allowing it to show up on the Escape.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Teh ?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...9-hybrid_x.htm

Automotive news, in a more recent article, states that the basis for the two systems are the same, and that the suppliers for the hybrid drivetrain and mechanics are the same with both companies.

The escape's hybrid package is supposedly more modular in design, which would mean that it could be easily installed onto other models sharing similar platforms.

Junkster, who also found that the battery supplier is Sanyo
Old 10-26-2004, 04:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

There we go, its the same only Ford modified 20 of the 370 patents.

"Neither Nissan nor Ford will buy parts from Toyota. They will get blueprints."
Old 10-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Teh ?

I'm sure the three companies have some sort of 'gentlemen's agreement' on Toyota being silent about lending out their technology. The last thing Ford and Nissan needs is for Toyota to tell everyone about how they bought the technology from another carmaker.

Junkster, who figures Toyota is getting a pretty good financial reward from all this
Old 10-26-2004, 04:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

domn, who wonders when or if Honda will sell their Hybrid technology.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Drifting

I'm sure the three companies have some sort of 'gentlemen's agreement' on Toyota being silent about lending out their technology. The last thing Ford and Nissan needs is for Toyota to tell everyone about how they bought the technology from another carmaker.

Junkster, who figures Toyota is getting a pretty good financial reward from all this
I'm sure they have to agree on those kinds of things.. GM put Honda engine in Saturn Vues, but how many people really know that?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sipark
I'm sure they have to agree on those kinds of things.. GM put Honda engine in Saturn Vues, but how many people really know that?
Do they even advertise that?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
No, not directly. It was made public knowledge as a result of articles in auto publications and a press release by Honda.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
I'm sure the car salesman tells you that when you're in the showroom.

By the way, C&D wrote about the Ford Escape / Toyota thing, and the Saturn Vue using Honda.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Kabachitare!

From "On the Table" in the 10/27 autoextremist.com

Porsche. From the "Hell Freezes Over" File, Automotive News Europe reported that Porsche is considering building a hybrid version of the Cayenne - using a Toyota powertrain. Readers of this site know exactly what we think about the Cayenne, but it's clear that this is a new low in Porsche history. The company that was founded on building lithe little sports cars that bristled with innovation and the visionary thinking of its founder has now openly admitted that they have given up on the innovation game altogether. Porsche insists that it has to act quickly in order to meet upcoming stricter regulations in the U.S. (and the growing interest in fuel economy by American consumers), but it's clear that if Porsche hadn't succumbed to the siren song of instant SUV-driven profits and had built an AWD vehicle that adhered to their founder's vision, instead of building a bloated, 5,000+ lb. truck that represents everything Porsche is not - they might not have to be trolling for powertrains from an outside source. By signalling that Porsche is either incapable or unwilling to engage in innovative, creative solutions to execute the Porsche philosophy in a new fuel-efficiency-prioritized market environment, CEO Wendelin Wiedeking has now officially and finally removed Porsche from the ranks of the world's great car companies. By turning its back on the company's history and everything the brand once stood for, Porsche is now no different than any other mass auto manufacturer out there, becoming of all horrible things - just another car company. We wonder when the butchery of Porsche's history, traditions and reputation will stop? Perhaps they should consider getting out of the car-building business altogether - after all, they sell more trucks than sports cars now, so what does it matter at this point? Maybe they could just keep the negotiations with Toyota going, because we're quite sure if they look hard enough they could find a Toyota that they could easily slap the Porsche crest on and call it a day. Who knows? Maybe Porsche will end up being bought out by another car company, the one thing that Wiedeking insists will never happen. Let's review, shall we? Porsche gave up racing for the overall win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans six years ago (in order to develop the Cayenne), they have abandoned the innovation and creativity that they once thrived on, and by the time they're finished, they will have destroyed one of the world's greatest automotive brands - running it right into the ground. Given that, Toyota should be able to get a "fire sale" deal on the whole shebang. This news should finally push the longstanding, hardcore Porsche enthusiasts - the ones who had turned into apologists rationalizing the existence of the Cayenne - right over the edge.

Top 10 AE Name Suggestions for Porsche's New Toyota-Powered Cayenne. 10. The Cayenne FOI (we're Flat Out of Ideas). 9. The Cayenne CT (power Courtesy of Toyota). 8. The Cayenne HB (Hybrid, Borrowed). 7. The Cayenne RSE (Rising Sun Edition). 5. The Cayenne SM (Slow-Motion). 4. The Cayenne YFK (You have to be F---ing Kidding me!). 3. The Cayenne TI (Temporary Insanity). 2. The Cayenne ETW (Et Tu, Wendelin?). And the No. 1. AE name suggestion for Porsche's new Toyota-powered Cayenne? The Toyota Cayenne (we gave up and sold the whole damn company!).

Toyota. They would never admit it publicly, but the people at Toyota have to be secretly "high-fiving" behind closed doors at the news that Porsche has come to them, hat in hand, begging for a powertrain for their ill-conceived Cayenne. We've written often about the burgeoning Toyota Juggernaut, the one automobile company in the world that seems to be virtually unstoppable, but this news changes everything. Toyota is now a technical tour de force, not just a dominant sales and marketing entity. Toyota is fully engaged on all fronts - it races in Formula 1, IndyCar, NASCAR and grass roots sports car racing, it has led the charge on innovative fuel-efficient powertrains, it has supplanted Chevrolet as "America's Car" in the U.S. market, and it has set its sights on capturing 15 percent of the worldwide automobile market by 2010, matching GM's current total. As we've said many times of late, Toyota will easily blow right by GM and become the No. 1 automaker in the world
Old 10-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Toyota Cayenne
Old 10-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Advanced

No, Cayenne LUX Turbo

Quick Reply: Porsche: Cayenne News