Porsche: Cayenne News

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche: Cayenne News

You want a $45K Cayenne? You got it. By the end of the year, there will be a V6 option. I dont like that personally.

Also, the Turbo will get a power kit later this year (as an option) that will bring it, at, or above, the 500HP mark.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:04 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more power!?

what would the 6 pot put out? to do the car justice it needs to be about 300hp. you cant have a car thats engines put out that huge and then have a weak V6, plus its a porsche so it should be fast, 300 would be about right.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:28 PM

It's selling like hotcakes. So Porsche so far bet right on the SUV. It's funny but besides the Isuzu Axiom, you just can't miss with a SUV in any shape or form. Totally weird.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:52 PM
__

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
It's selling like hotcakes. So Porsche so far bet right on the SUV. It's funny but besides the Isuzu Axiom, you just can't miss with a SUV in any shape or form. Totally weird.
Selling like hotcakes? Check again...
Old 04-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the "$45K Cayenne" was gonna be the VW Touareg
Old 04-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The Cayenne is not selling well. They are all discounted by at least 3K dollars.

I am guessing the V6 will be an identical or similar version of what will be in the Tuareg. Total guess but it must be something close to that engine to make economic sense. There is no way we will see the 911 engine and that's all Porsche has as far as NA 6s, plus the 911 is a flat six, not a V6.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

If it was not for the Cayenne, Porsche would be in trouble already

...at least for now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFX News Limited - June 3, 2003

STUTTGART, Germany (AFX) - Porsche AG said its May unit sales in the US and Canada rose 34 pct to 3,239 cars, compared with 2,418 a year ago, boosted by the off-road Cayenne model.

The company sold 1,479 Cayennes, which were introduced on the US market on March 15, while sales of sports cars - 911 and Boxster - fell 27 pct to 1,760 units from 2,418 the same month a year earlier, Porsche added.

"Against the background of the current, general weak sports cars segment, Porsche feels vindicated in its decision to secure the long term growth of the company by introducing the Cayenne as a third model," the company said.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

And my itch for a "Boxster S" is growing when I see Porsche dealers not be able to sell them. I dont know...if it only had 15% more power and torque.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well, a lot of new cars sell pretty hot for the first few months...I'd like to see the numbers for the Cayenne a year from now
Old 06-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
just get a cayenne....

i am really starting to like them...esp when i found out you can actually use them off-road. Go porsche!
Old 06-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fahoumh
well, a lot of new cars sell pretty hot for the first few months...I'd like to see the numbers for the Cayenne a year from now

DOnt get me wrong. I am not saying that the Cayenne is flying off the shelves and selling like hotcakes. I have posted other threads showing that even the first Cayenne cars and especially the S model are selling below MSRP ($3K-$5K). But as you see in the numbers, if it were not for the Cayenne, Porsche would have been down 50% in sales this year as opposed to last and previous years. The 911 is the main problem. And I totally understand it. The main problem for the 911 is the ratio performance/price. I mean when you have Evos and STis offer slightly worse performance for a fraction of the price....what does that make the 911? And yes, I know they are totally different cars, but people who buy 911s buy them for 2 reasons. Name and performance and one of the 2 reasons is pretty much a "moot point" currently.

What pisses me off the most is that the performance of the Boxster is depandand solely on that of the 911. The only reason Boxsters are so...."slow" (my personal opinion), is so that they dont threaten the 911. And by looking at the spy info for the next Boxster, things wont get better (the engine will go to 3.4 liters for the S model and HP up only another 10-15HP or so - pathetic).

After looking at what could happen to an optioned out 911, the 911 currently is "highway robbery". Sorry.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Speak of the devil:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=105816
Old 06-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Shogun Assassin

I totally understand and completely agree with what you're saying
Old 06-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gavriil
DOnt get me wrong. I am not saying that the Cayenne is flying off the shelves and selling like hotcakes. I have posted other threads showing that even the first Cayenne cars and especially the S model are selling below MSRP ($3K-$5K). But as you see in the numbers, if it were not for the Cayenne, Porsche would have been down 50% in sales this year as opposed to last and previous years. The 911 is the main problem. And I totally understand it. The main problem for the 911 is the ratio performance/price. I mean when you have Evos and STis offer slightly worse performance for a fraction of the price....what does that make the 911? And yes, I know they are totally different cars, but people who buy 911s buy them for 2 reasons. Name and performance and one of the 2 reasons is pretty much a "moot point" currently.

What pisses me off the most is that the performance of the Boxster is depandand solely on that of the 911. The only reason Boxsters are so...."slow" (my personal opinion), is so that they dont threaten the 911. And by looking at the spy info for the next Boxster, things wont get better (the engine will go to 3.4 liters for the S model and HP up only another 10-15HP or so - pathetic).

After looking at what could happen to an optioned out 911, the 911 currently is "highway robbery". Sorry.

You don't think it's the ssame market segment buying porsches and evos?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Speak of the devil number 2:

------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the whole truth about the Cayenne, from someone who intimately knows-- I'm a key insider in a large Porsche dealership.

Before the truck was introduced on March 15, 2003 there was a tremendous amount of interest and pre-sale due to the long-fuse and extensive publicity efforts by Porsche Cars North America, and the auto press in general. As usual, after the first wave of trucks was delivered into the pre-order bank, many people waivered on their orders, some due to the delay in intro date on the truck; and others because the first wave of trucks delivered to the dealers were ordered by the "factory guys" and accordingly, had some "funky" color combos like Silver with Beige leather, and most of the trucks had the unappealing 18" wheels-- many of the first Cayenne arriving were just plain unappealing.

The trucks remained in short supply from around the March 15 intro date until the end of April. At that point, demand somewhat stalled, probably due to very little advertising and promo on the vehicle being out there -- and the general perception that the Cayenne cost $80-90 thousand, when most of them are in fact, selling in the mid $50 - 60 thousand range and leasing in the $750-850 range. At precisely the time that demand stalled, Porsche started bombarding the dealers with inventory of Cayennes -- thereby sending dealers who were perennially used to having just a few Porsches in stock, and high demand, running for the hills. Most of the smaller and medium sized dealers panicked and took any deal they could get on any Cayenne, except for the Turbo, which is only 10-12% of the total Cayenne build-- they still sell pretty well, but in small numbers.

But then an amazing thing happened -- the people who took early delivery of their Cayennes started coming into dealerships with their friends, who had taken a ride in their vehicle, and the friends started buying Cayennes too. This "second wave blip in demand" coincided with another huge tidal wave of Cayennes being heaped on the dealers, thereby creating a very fluid market, with the trucks beginning to sell very well, and with customers getting discounts of anywhere between $2000 and $6000 off sticker, and the occasional good color combo truck with the most desirable equipment, ie- PCM (Navigation), comfort seats with presets, smooth leather dash, electric comfort package (steering wheel adjust and tailgate pull down) and 20" wheels -- those trucks often selling for list price.

So in summary -- Porsche is not BS'ing when they say the truck is selling well. They are wholesaling tons of them to dealers to be sure -- but dealers like us (we're around the 10th largest dealer in the country) are selling 25-30 of them a month now. That's as many or more than the new Porsche sports cars of all descriptions that we previously sold per month. More important, the customers that have bought the vehicles so far are giddily happy with them, and are in many cases, huge advocates of the vehicle to anyone who will listen.

Finally, in all the Cayennes we have sold to date since March 15, (about 65) we have only had 2 product quality issues. One was the misalignment of the rear window latch, causing it to pop out of the lock when closed on a Cayenne S. The second was a faulty pump on a Cayenne turbo, which caused the vehicle height adjustment (standard on Cayenne turbos, optional on Cayenne S's and not necessary at all unless you intend to extensively go off-road) to be inoperable. It took a special order of a part from Germany, but during that time, we were able to rebuild the pump, and then swapped it when the new one came in. No other product failures at all, and not even a hint of dissatisfaction with the Cayenne from any other customers that we have delivered.

I must stress to you that this response is absolutely true -- not in any way a set-up or prejudiced by the Porsche factory (hell, I have not even discussed it with them, and will probably get a beating for sending it), and that is totally objective and based upon true experience dealing inside a Porsche dealership of some magnitude, with customers every day. I'll update your website if anything materially changes as we go along.

Best regards -- West Coast Porscheguy.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:43 PM

I think I told ya'll the Cayenne was selling well but no one believed me, sigh...

Way to go Porsche!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I think I told ya'll the Cayenne was selling well
you did?
Old 06-13-2003, 12:29 PM

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hlight=cayenne

Give me 5.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Shogun Assassin

alright...but I never saw that thread
Old 06-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

And more testimonials from Porsche insiders:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also a top insider at a top ten Porsche dealership and agree with everything west coast Porsche guy has to say. The only thing he failed to address was THE MAJOR MISTAKE OF LAUNCHING A CAR AS A 2003 MODEL ON MARCH 15TH (e tu brute, beware the ides of march), and subsequently releasing 2004 models in April. These 2003s had the same MSRP as the 2004, but a 4 point lower lease residual. In addition, as west coast Porsche guy points out, most of these 2003 non-retail Cayenne’s were poorly colored and equipped. The ONLY way to sell a 2003 vs. a 2004 is to deeply discount it. Having to deeply discount a brand new, highly anticipated product at launch can do nothing but tarnish the image of this fine product. Not wanting to pass on deals in our market, which is overloaded with dealers who have to sell out of their market and to brokers so as to not back up with inventory, we sold many 2003 at large discounts. So many, in fact, that we have bought some inventory from some smaller dealers whose markets could not support the volume of "pool cars" they received.

The lack of air suspension should not have affected sales as much as it did, but all the auto magazine articles praised it so much in their reviews, that people felt stupid if they bought one without, when in fact it was not available on "S" for the first three months of production, and is really unnecessary unless the customer is a true off-roader (and costs over $3,000.00). The lack of larger wheels also affect initial sales. Porsche of all companies should understand how important big wheels are, especially in the US.

As the initial glut of inventory and 2003s goes away and dealers have to rely on their ongoing allocation, I fully expect inventories to stay under 60 days, and pricing will stabilize.

We have had more initial warranty repairs than we would have liked, but nothing major or out of line with other new product launches. We are also in a major northeastern city where road conditions are the worst in the country, and anything that can brake usually does.

Lastly, everyone who has test drove the Cayenne has bought one and everyone who has

bought one LOVES IT.

Unlike Mr.$12.5m BMW dealer, I think your website is great and I recommend it to all of my clients. However, your editorial posture occasionally comes off very "anti-dealer" and never seems to tell about good dealers, which I'm sure you agree are many. But we are car dealers, and we've come to expect being abused by the press - it comes with the territory. We sell over 1,000 high line, luxury, and exotic automobiles each year and most of our customers would be pleased to share with anyone how satisfied they are with our store.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Porsche Cayenne Turbo 1/4 as fast as a Vette

At least the first C5 year Vette. I remember 13.4 for the 1/4 mile then. Anyway C+D has a nice review here:

First the numbers:

-------------------------

PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO

Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door wagon

Price as tested: $94,980

Price and option breakdown: base Porsche Cayenne Turbo (includes $765 freight), $89,665; sunroof, $1100; keyless-entry system, $995; Electric Comfort package (includes power tailgate latch, self-dimming mirrors, and integrated garage-door opener), $890; 19-inch wheels and performance tires, $850; in-dash 6-CD changer, $715; trailer hitch, $590; logo wheel hub covers, $175

Major standard accessories: power steering, windows, seats, and locks; A/C; cruise control; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; rear defroster and wiper

Sound system: Bose AM/FM-stereo radio/CD changer, 13 speakers

ENGINE
Type: twin-turbocharged and intercooled V-8, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke: 3.66 x 3.27 in, 93.0 x 83.0mm
Displacement: 275 cu in, 4510cc
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Engine-control system: Bosch Motronic ME7.1.1 with port fuel injection
Emissions controls: 3-way catalytic converter, feedback air-fuel-ratio control
Turbochargers: 2, KKK
Waste gate: integral
Maximum boost pressure: 8.7 psi
Valve gear: chain-driven double overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters, variable intake-valve timing
Power (SAE net): 450 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 457 lb-ft @ 2250 rpm
Redline: 6400 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission: 6-speed automatic with lockup torque converter
Final-drive ratio: 3.70:1, limited slip
Transfer-gear ratios: L, 2.71:1; H, 1.00:1

Gear ... Ratio ... Mph/1000 rpm (L/H) ... Max. test speed (L/H)
I ... 4.15 ... 2.0/5.4 ... 13/34 mph (6400/6400 rpm)
II ... 2.37 ... 3.5/9.4 ... 22/60 mph (6400/6400 rpm)
III ... 1.56 ... 5.3/14.3 ... 34/92 mph (6400/6400 rpm)
IV ... 1.16 ... 7.1/19.2 ... 45/123 mph (6400/6400 rpm)
V ... 0.86 ... 9.6/25.9 ... 61/161 mph (6400/6200 rpm)
VI ... 0.69 ... 11.9/32.2 ... 76/161 mph (6400/5000 rpm)

DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES
Wheelbase: 112.4 in
Track, F/R: 64.6/65.2 in
Length: 188.3 in
Width: 75.9 in
Height: 66.9 in
Ground clearance: 6.2-10.8 in
Curb weight: 5724 lb
Weight distribution, F/R: 52.9/47.1%
Fuel capacity: 26.4 gal
Oil capacity: 8.9 qt
Water capacity: 10.6 qt

CHASSIS/BODY
Type: unit construction with a subframe
Body material: welded steel stampings

INTERIOR
SAE volume, front seat: 57 cu ft
rear seat: 49 cu ft
cargo volume, seats up/down: 19/63 cu ft
Practical cargo room, length of pipe: 128.0 in
largest sheet of plywood: 61.0 x 45.5 in
no. of 10 x 10 x 16-in boxes, seats in/out 14/28
Front seats: bucket
Seat adjustments: fore and aft, seatback angle, front height, rear height, lumbar support
Restraint systems, front: manual 3-point belts; driver and passenger front, side, and curtain airbags
rear: manual 3-point belts, outboard curtain airbags
General comfort: poor fair good excellent
Fore-and-aft support: poor fair good excellent
Lateral support: poor fair good excellent

SUSPENSION
F: ind; unequal-length control arms; 6-position height-adjustable, self-leveling air springs; 3-position cockpit-adjustable, electronically controlled shock absorbers; hydraulically engaged anti-roll bar
R: ind; 1 control arm, 1 lateral link, 1 diagonal link, and 1 toe-control link per side; 6-position height-adjustable, self-leveling air springs; 3-position cockpit-adjustable, electronically controlled shock absorbers; hydraulically engaged anti-roll bar

STEERING
Type: rack-and-pinion, power-assisted
Turns lock-to-lock: 2.7
Turning circle curb-to-curb: 39.0 ft

BRAKES
F: 13.8 x 1.3-in vented disc
R: 13.0 x 1.1-in vented disc
Power assist: vacuum with anti-lock control

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size: 9.0 x 19 in
Wheel type: cast aluminum
Tires: Pirelli P Zero Rosso, 275/45ZR-19 108Y
Test inflation pressures, F/R: 38/42 psi

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph 1.7
40 mph 2.8
50 mph 3.8
60 mph 5.0
70 mph 6.8
80 mph 8.5
90 mph 10.5
100 mph 13.0
110 mph 16.0
120 mph 19.6
130 mph 24.8
140 mph 32.6
Street start, 5-60 mph 6.1
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph 2.8
50-70 mph 3.6
Standing 1/4-mile 13.5 sec @ 104 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 161 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup 170 ft
Fade none light moderate heavy

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.82 g
Understeer minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving 13 mpg
EPA highway driving 18 mpg
C/D-observed 12 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle 43 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration 72 dBA
70-mph cruising 67 dBA

--------------------------------------------------

And the text

-------------------------------------------------

Porsche Cayenne Turbo
We weigh the Porsche against other SUVs and give ourselves a hernia.
BY DAN NEIL
August 2003

We like numbers. Numbers are our friends. Numbers sing arias of irrefutable fact that soar above murky choruses of subjectivity, spin, and slant. Numbers can baby-sit our kids anytime.

So wrap your wetware around this number: 5724—as in pounds, as in curb weight for the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. This is almost exactly the weight of a GMC Yukon XL—a perimeter-frame four-by-four truck with a 12,000-pound towing capacity and 17.6 more inches of wheelbase than the unit-bodied Cayenne Turbo. This number—the weight of our test vehicle with all the fluids onboard—is approximately one Harley-Davidson Sportster more than we expected the Cayenne Turbo to weigh, based on the company's specifications. Around the office, many a jaw has gone oafishly slack at this imposing avoirdupois—and the jaw-slacking bar is set pretty high here.

Our scales, meanwhile, have quit to find easier work in the piano-moving business.

This number goes to the heart of the Cayenne conundrum: Why, when a statistically insignificant number of SUV owners ever venture off-road, would Porsche—a company that year in, year out builds the best sports cars in the world—burden the Cayenne with such silly amounts of heavy, hillock-humping capacity? Twenty-two-inch fording depth? More than 10 inches of ground clearance, courtesy of a ride-height-adjustable air suspension? A torque-multiplying low-range gear ratio and locking center and rear differentials?

This is not to quarrel with Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking's decision, in 1998, to stick a Porsche-badged snout in the SUV trough. Nor is it to diminish, exactly, the Cayenne T's off-road abilities, which include leaping over felled trees in a single bound (it has an approach angle of 32.4 degrees and a departure angle of 27.3 degrees). But after 600 miles of mixed driving in the Cayenne Turbo—from Vanishing Point-style transits of upper Lower Michigan to plowing through dirty, smelly filth holes (the restaurants of upper Lower)—we have reached the conclusion that rather than digitally morph a Range Rover with a 911 Turbo, Porsche has created a vehicle that feels like a superb all-wheel-drive tourer with an elephant on its back.

Is it fast? Is Wiedeking hard to spell? The vehicle's quickness and speed (we recorded 0 to 60 mph in 5.0 seconds and a quarter-mile pass in 13.5 seconds) are stunning, but here numbers fail us; it's not the velocity per se but the giddy sensation of enormous mass being manhandled by oceanic force, like a tugboat thrown on the beach by a tsunami. The Cayenne reactor is a twin-turbo, quad-cam 4.5-liter V-8 with dry-sump and other fancy plumbing to keep it oily and cool in extreme off-roading. Thanks to its VarioCam intake-valve timing, the motor produces peak torque of 457 pound-feet between 2250 and 4750 rpm and a nice fat 450 horsepower at 6000 rpm. The soundtrack to all of this is a futuristic warbling of metallic timbre and menacing vibrato that makes The Matrix soundtrack seem like folk music.

An Aisin-supplied six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic override converts engine speed to driveshaft rotation with shaved-leg smoothness. Downstream of that is a planetary center differential that normally sends 62 percent of the go juice to the rear wheels, but using a multiplate clutch, the Porsche Traction Management system can shunt up to 100 percent of engine torque to whichever axle

Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(continued) 1 2 3

Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Highs: Power and torque worthy of the Richter scale.
Lows: Mass worthy of the Richter scale.
The Verdict: Porsche builds a Nietzschean über-Hummer.

Around-town driving is supremely civilized, with finely modulated throttle tip-in and stop-and-go manners. But when you summon the full 8.7 psi of turbo pressure to pass on a country road—Oy vay!—the Tiptronic executes a nifty double kickdown and the vehicle squirts like hot Cheez Whiz. In the time it takes to swallow hard, the Cayenne Turbo is well into civil-aviation speeds.

Wow. Imagine what it would be like if it weighed 1000 pounds less!

If you are so bourgeois as to consider the tedious value formula, the smash-mouth Turbo we tested was $94,980 (with optional niceties such as a sunroof, a CD changer, and keyless entry). The Cayenne S—the non-turbocharged version propelled by a relatively noodle-armed 340 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque—starts at $56,665 and can be optioned to more than $80,000.

As you might expect, it takes an extraordinary exertion of technology to achieve excellent handling with this much mass while still retaining ride comfort. The suspension is a Byzantine hybrid of control arms attached to tubular and plate steel subframes, with all four corners sitting on air springs assisted by adaptive dampers that can be set in comfort, normal, and sport modes. Vehicle ride height lowers as speeds increase (a full 1.5 inches lower than normal at speeds above 130 mph), and the damper stiffness defaults to sport mode if the vehicle's accelerometers detect more than the usual thrashing about. Porsche Stability Management wrangles the anti-lock-brake, brake-force-distribution, ride-leveling, and all-wheel-drive traction-control systems to keep the Cayenne upright and on course. As a result of these interventions, the Cayenne's dynamics have a peculiar, synthetic feel to them; it sometimes feels as if the faster you go in the Cayenne, the flatter it corners.

Yet with the damper control set on sport and the ride height on low, the Cayenne arcs around a highway on-ramp with a nice, edgy tautness. The rear end does an ever-so-slight hip shift on initial turn-in, characteristic of recent Porsches, and then hunkers down in a composed four-wheel drift. If the ramp tightens and you need to get out of the throttle, it's okay. The Cayenne, like the 911, does only the slightest wiggle before the rear toe-in tightens up and the tail tucks in.

Yet for all the sensors, processors, adaptive kinematics, and the like—to say nothing of the optional 19-inch Pirelli P Zero Rossos—the Cayenne generates only decent cornering grip, 0.82 g on the skidpad, a number handily exceeded by an Infiniti FX45, for one. Shove the vehicle around, and you'll soon wish you had more tire under you. The feeling is a little like driving on bias-ply tires.

The Cayenne's weight dampens our enthusiasm in other ways. The braking distance from 70 mph, 170 feet, is six feet longer than a BMW X5 4.6is's—this despite the fact the Cayenne has six-piston front calipers and gigantic vented discs. And according to fearless leader Tony Swan, this same sport-ute's brakes got a little squishy during his intrepid One Lap flog-fest (see story on page 142). How very un-Porschelike.

Make no mistake: The Cayenne Turbo is an extraordinary machine, beautifully crafted, sumptuously provisioned, modestly—ahem—styled. It is the fastest production SUV on the planet, and it has more off-road chops than Sir Edmund Hillary. It's sure to be a huge status codpiece in South Beach and Beverly Hills. It is the "Porsche of SUVs." We had hoped for a little more Porsche and a little less SUV.

COUNTERPOINT

After exercising this rig on a number of road-racing circuits during the 2003 One Lap of America run, I can confidently say the Cayenne is a lovely highway ride. I can say even more confidently that it is not at home on a racetrack, particularly one with lots of linked turns and decreasing radii. We are talking dynamic reluctance on a vast scale here. A goal was to give it Porsche-sports-car virtues to go with its superb off-road capabilities. But that just ain't compatible with a vehicle weighing almost three tons. I suppose you can teach an elephant to be a sprinter, but why not start with a gazelle? —Tony Swan

Listen up, all you nouveau-riche rappers and cash-phat NBA power forwards who are right now trading in your G-wagens for this even-more-expensive superstatus symbol: You can get stuck in the mud in this wundertruck very easily with these Pirellis, which are designed for the highway. That happened in rural Michigan last spring, when one of us decided to drive through a farmer's soggy field. The expensive 19-inch P Zeros sank right up to the hubs. It was a plain ol' pickup truck that pulled this 450-hp technological marvel from the muck. Reminds us of all the SUV owners we saw in ditches last winter who thought their SUVs made them invincible. —Steve Spence

It's hard to believe a vehicle this heavy can be thrust forward this quickly with a mere 450 turbocharged horsepower, but the numbers don't lie. The Cayenne is seriously quick, and capable of 161 mph, which puts it in a category all by itself. It's also a demon off-road, as I found out during the course of running in the Cayenne Crossing Drive for Hope, a cross-country charity run using two-lane and no-lane roads on a 2700-mile course. On the Peter's Mill trail in northern Virginia, the Cayenne Turbo just reared back and laughed at the rocky terrain, lifted itself up off the suspension, and handily went through eight miles of pure hell. —Jim McCraw
Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Boxster-like priced Cayenne

Boxster S to be accurate...

By Craig Cheetham

Could this be the Porsche for the people? The German sports car maker is planning a cut-price version of the Cayenne, which will make its debut at September's Frankfurt Motor Show.

Auto Express has learned the new model will be powered by VW's 3.2-litre V6, developing 240bhp and giving a 0-60mph time of around eight seconds. It will go into production next summer, once Porsche has satisfied demand for the Cayenne's initial production, and could also be offered with VW's innovative DSG transmission as an option.

The car will cost around £35,000 - £9,000 less than the current base model - making it a rival to the Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5 and Volvo XC90.

Porsche's UK bosses will use the Frankfurt show to gauge reaction to the car, and will make a decision about when it will be brought here. However, our sources say they're in no hurry. An insider told Auto Express: "The V6 won't come to the UK for a while yet. We don't think it fits in with where we are trying to place the car in the market."

It won't be the first time Porsche has built a car with a Volkswagen engine - the 914 of 1969 was powered by a flat-four air-cooled VW unit, while the 924, launched in 1976, came with the same 2.5-litre water-cooled four-cylinder as found under the bonnet of the LT Van. Ironically, the current VW Transporter can be ordered with the 3.2 V6, drawing an extraordinary parallel between the Cayenne and the 924.

Meanwhile, Auto Express has learned that other variants of the controversial Porsche off-roader are on the horizon. Our source told us: "There will definitely be more powerplant options in the Cayenne. The car has a very large engine bay, which gives us plenty of scope."

That could mean a flagship version of the off-roader using the 612bhp 5.7-litre V10 unit developed for the Carrera GT. Don't hold your breath, though - there's no chance of it arriving until 2005.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

A V6 8 second 0-60 Porche just sounds wrong to me. I wasn't crazy about the idea of a Porche SUV to begin with, but at least the Turbo version had some cojones...

I'd much rather have the Toureg (sp?) than this model
Old 08-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

That is really cool for the average consumer, but it deffinitly cheapens the Porsche image alot.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Red Nj-s
That is really cool for the average consumer, but it deffinitly cheapens the Porsche image alot.
True that...the car looks different than the current version doesnt it? Sux...
Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Instructor

They shouldn't do it. It compromiseds their premium image. Porsche succeeds because it markets to the elitist crowd (sorry, but true). I think some of them (not me) might dislike driving a porsche 911 and seeing an el cheapo cayenne driving right next to them.

Just my biased opinion.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I dont understand why you guys are saying that it compromises their premium image. That already has been done, with the introduction of the Boxster in 1997. A Porshe for low $40Ks. So?
Old 08-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

I dont understand why you guys are saying that it compromises their premium image
I don't think it compromises their premium image, but a auto that goes from 0-60 in 8 seconds definitely compromises their performance image
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
ok what makes this different from the vw toureg?
Old 08-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Instructor

boxter = poor mans porsche. kind of like the bmw 318ti...

porsche will make $$ with the cheapo cayenne, but I agree it hurts their image in the long run.

hopefully other car makers dont follow this trend...whats next 30k aston martins.....
Old 08-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I don't think it compromises their premium image, but a auto that goes from 0-60 in 8 seconds definitely compromises their performance image
That I agree with.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Confirmed:

Porsche Bows with V-6 Cayenne

The Cayenne range of off-road Porsches will be fleshed out this fall when the German performance brand unveils a V-6 version of its sport-utility vehicle. The Cayenne (no “S” nor “Turbo”) will be introduced at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September, and will go on sale shortly thereafter in Europe with a 247-hp V-6 engine and the capability to accelerate to 62 mph in 9.1 seconds, and a top speed of 133 mph. U.S. availability and pricing have not been released, but the base Cayenne will sport Porsche Traction Management permanent four-wheel drive system, Porsche Stability Management, and an air suspension.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:32 PM
Race Director

NICE

the only reason i didnt want my mom to get it is cause its a v8

this is actually good news for lots of people that want a SUV, bad news for porsche enthuisiasts tho
Old 08-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by amirsafdari
NICE

the only reason i didnt want my mom to get it is cause its a v8

this is actually good news for lots of people that want a SUV, bad news for porsche enthuisiasts tho
The V6 will be dead slow. This is a heavy car.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am guessing the price starting at low $40Ks. What do you think the price will be?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by agisd
The V6 will be dead slow. This is a heavy car.
thats fine, its for my mum...she really likes it for some reaason, and i just thought the v8 is too much for her, plus gas would suck

it might also be cool owning the slowest car porsche will probably ever make in their whole existance
Old 08-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I am guessing mid 40's starting price. Porsche never comes cheap.

Wow.. A Porsche that does 0-62 in 9.1 seconds! Oh joy!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by gavriil
I am guessing the price starting at low $40Ks. What do you think the price will be?
thats what im thinking, low-mid 40's ...or maybe just low 40's and their gonna suck out every penny with options, which porsche is good at
Old 08-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Race Director

gav are both the toureg and cayenne assembled in germany?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I am guessing mid 40's starting price. Porsche never comes cheap.

Wow.. A Porsche that does 0-62 in 9.1 seconds! Oh joy!!!
I know. That's slower than my RX.

Quick Reply: Porsche: Cayenne News