Porsche: Carrera GT News

Old 04-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche: Carrera GT News

Heck, there's 3 of 'em

http://194.236.61.194/_upload/AAAPorsche.jpg

10 cylinders, 603 horsepower at 8,000 rpm, 0-to-60 in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 205 mph.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be scared shit less if i had to drive it in the SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can wait untill they start selling those. Any idea what the production numbers are?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned

wow, that thing is fugly!!!! the ass is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too LOOOOOOOONG!!!! very weird looking. nice engine stats, but fix the styling already, the current gen look 100 times better than that
Old 04-11-2003, 02:48 PM

THat car is GORGOUS!!! I love it. What an agressive design. Way to go Porsche!
Old 04-11-2003, 05:33 PM
__

CLUofI, 1500 total
Old 04-11-2003, 06:26 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

Originally posted by jimcol711
wow, that thing is fugly!!!! the ass is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too LOOOOOOOONG!!!! very weird looking. nice engine stats, but fix the styling already, the current gen look 100 times better than that
dude thats not the next gen 911, its just porsche's supercar.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn.....i really need to win the lotto
Old 04-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Banned

Looks hot. Very exotic looking for a Porsche, but it does not look like a Porsche. I like it.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Certified Lurker

Ya i realy dont like the look of the thing....
Old 04-13-2003, 04:57 AM
Instructor

I think those angles are bad. If you look at it from other angles, it is just amazing. Plus, the cars are definitely not finished production versions.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:10 PM
What, me drive fast?

Sweet......soooooooo sexy.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by CLUofI
I would be scared shit less if i had to drive it in the SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ahhh... That's the great thing about being a porsche factory test pilot

They test the cars in the snow, and there is a porsche test snow track up in Finland (or somewhere like that), where they really beat the crap out of the cars.

There are probably 3 other test cars being driven in the tropics, to test for hot weather conditions.

This is the New GT, not the 997 (or next gen 911 - the current 911 has an internal designation of 996).

Here's a pic from a "better" angle.

The other end:

Here's what edmunds had to say:

What We Know: What makes this car one of the most anticipated Porsches ever? The numbers speak for themselves: 10 cylinders, 603 horsepower at 8,000 rpm, 0-to-60 in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 205 mph. Although these numbers sound like the specs of a Le Mans racecar, the Carrera GT is a production street car that wraps all of Porsche's most advanced engine and chassis technology into one vehicle. The body is a carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) monocoque that offers the best strength-to-weight of any material currently available, according to Porsche. This translated into a car that's stiff enough to withstand the rigors of high-speed driving while weighing in at just 3,042 pounds. Because of its high-speed capability, aerodynamics was a key aspect of its roofless design. Like most racecars, this Carrera uses specific underbody geometry along with a rear diffuser to create a suction effect for high levels of downforce at speed. More racing technology comes in the form of its ceramic brake rotors and ceramic composite clutch plate. The Carrera GT will come standard with a set of 20-inch lightweight magnesium wheels wrapped in tires developed specifically for the GT. As you might expect, only a limited number will go on sale to the public and they're already all spoken for. Those lucky customers who already have their orders in are expected to get delivery in late 2003. [1]

[1]http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/p...nt..0.Porsche*
Old 04-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Apparently the Carrera GT's 660HP are not nearly rnough

How is a $10,000+ exhaust mod for ya?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to Porsche's grand supercar, the Carrera GT? Millionaires around the world are, as well as avid Porsche fans. But would you ever think that the horsepower output from its enormous V10 would not be adequate? Well, there appear to be a select few who are of both categories, and one of them just so happens to be a few people who think otherwise. Who are those people? Ah, they are the owners and engineers at 9ff tuning. Plans and tuning for the un-released GT are already complete, and they've brought together quite the package to fulfill every single last drop of your desire for speed.

Does the GT not fit your design taste? Supercars rarely have the option of having body additions to them, but 9ff have found a way to improve the look of the car. Let it be known that every single exterior addition to the car will affect it in some way - especially at high speed. First off is the carbon-fiber skirt in the front. The skirt alone costs 2480 euros, but will reduce the amount of air that's under the car while at speed. Less turbulence means less drag, which is always a plus. Springs and shocks are another option you can get. Race-tuned, and nearing perfection, this package drops the already low ride height by another 20 millimeters. The final addition is a set of GT-car lightweight aluminum wheels. Price: 7680 euros.

Now for substance - as if the song of the super powerful V10 wasn't enough, 9ff have found a way to crank up the output as well as the music that goes along with it. The layout is created of high-grade steel, and has four titanium exhaust popes. By using straight pipes, and race-grade catalytic converters, the system brings back any lost horsepower from the stock exhaust. It won't be cheap, the price tag for this exhaust runs at just a hair under 10,000 euros. 9ff have already received a few questions concerning turbocharging and the naturally aspirated V10. All the company has to say is that between 900 and 1000 horsepower is within reach. Top speed could jump from 330 km/h to a mind-boggling 380 km/h. And how probable is this? Very… so long as the tires can hold up.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

3 Carrera GT cars caught testing in Las Vegas, NV

This past weekend I was in Vegas with my dad, brother, and an uncle.

We decided to take a drive through Death Valley on the Sunday (June29/03). We were stopped
at Badwater and look what I see comming down the road and pulling into the parking lot.

The following are pictures of what I believe to be 3 different Porsche Carrera GTs in prototype form.
The digital cameras used were a Nikon Coolpix 990(mine) and a Nikon Coolpix 5000(dads).
The first picture is me taken by my dad with the Coolpix 5000.

I have reduced the size 50% and have recompressed them in JPG format for this web page, otherwise
they would have been too big for the webspace.

Please refrain from spreading this link yourselves. I am providing them as a courtesy to those whom I
wish. Call it selfish, but I did take the pictures and it was about 122 degrees farenheit
(52 degrees celsius) at the time

Thanks,

James, aka VTEC_Inside (Complete with bedhead)

Old 09-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
this wont be a popular statement...but they kinda look like a toyota mr2 spyder.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old.....
Old 09-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Beetroot
this wont be a popular statement...but they kinda look like a toyota mr2 spyder.
no offense, but u r a crackhead.

those cars are f'n sweet!!! thanks for the pics!!
Old 09-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

come on. admit it. mr2 spyder.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Banned

Def sweet lookin cars, but the spoiler is way too big for my taste.

That yellow looks gross too.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 09-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
holy sh!t I want the yellow one!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:42 PM
The hair says it all

nice sighting!!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Race Director

old pics
Old 09-16-2003, 04:10 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
oldie but goodie
Old 09-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by amirsafdari
old pics

These pics never get old
Old 09-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

In depth: Porsche Carrera GT (80 photos in this thread - 56K dont even try)

Old 09-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Banned

sweet fuckin post, but the car still doesn't excite me as much as an enzo or a lambo.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Porsche Carrera GT – Highlights

In Short
The Porsche Carrera GT refines the undiluted character of a racing car to provide an unprecedented driving experience of a unique kind. Indeed, the car's performance figures provide a clear picture of what to expect right from the start, the Carrera GT requiring a mere 9.9 seconds to accelerate from 0 – 200 km/h or 124 mph. And this top-flight athlete offers new records and achievements never seen before in many other areas, too.

Pure design in beautiful style
Through its design language alone, the Carrera GT expresses its truly outstanding performance as an uncompromising, no-nonsense supersports. But contrary to prototypes conceived only for racing, the design of the Carrera GT, despite the re-interpretation of existing features and the use of design elements never seen before, shows a convincing resemblance in design to Porsche's production cars, even providing a certain reminiscence of Porsche's legendary racing cars. The typical Porsche face with the front lid swept back like an arrow and the elevated wheel arches, for example, take up the design of the legendary Porsche 718 RS Spyder back in the '60s, giving particular thrust and power to the front view of the Carrera GT. Seen from the side, in turn, the Carrera GT gains further dynamism through its firm, stretched-out shoulder line. The mid-engine concept, finally, is clearly accentuated by the forward-moving cockpit and the long gap between the door and the rear axle.

Lightweight technology through and through
Porsche's philosophy to concentrate on the essential comes out particularly in the Carrera GT through the use of consistent lightweight technology in every respect. Measuring 4.61 metres or 181.5" in length, 1.92 metres or 75.6" in width, 1.16 metres or 45.7" in height, and with wheelbase of 2.73 metres or 107.5", the Carrera GT weighs in at an ideal unladen weight of 1380 kilos or 3043 lb.

Magnificent power and muscle
The ten-cylinder power unit behind the cockpit of the Carrera GT is based on a 5.5-litre normal aspiration engine which, as a thoroughbred racing machine, might also have been raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Increasing engine capacity for the Carrera GT to 5.7 litres, Porsche's engineers have now achieved maximum output of 450 kW (612 bhp) at 8000 rpm and maximum torque of 590 Newton metres (435 lb-ft) at 5750 rpm. Top speed is 330 km/h or 205 mph. And despite its racing character, this ten-cylinder is fully suited for everyday motoring also at low engine speeds.

Innovative six-speed gearbox in transverse arrangement
The gearbox providing an additional transmission feature compared with a conventional transversely-mounted gearbox is one of the truly outstanding innovations in the Carrera GT. The transmission incorporates a two-stage upright transmission unit between the outgoing main shaft and the axle drive, serving in particular to allow smaller combinations of gears thanks to the additional transmission ratio. A further feature is the hollow design of the first main shaft housing the long and thin solid shaft as a spring connection inside. Interacting with the mass forces on the angle drive, the two shafts thus acting as a torsion spring serve to dampen impacts from the drivetrain and reduce transmission noise in the process. This is also the first model in which Porsche is using an innovative inner gearshift mechanism together with particularly low-friction and precisely-mounted Flexball shift cables on the outer shift mechanisms, a worldwide innovation in automotive technology. Flexball gearshift cables are made of a flat stainless-steel band and do not have wound steel cores.

The ceramic clutch – another world-first achievement
Apart from Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) already well known and widely lauded for their efficiency, Porsche is now using extra-light and extremely resistant ceramics for the transmission of power in this new top-flight athlete: The Carrera GT is the first car in the world equipped with a ceramic clutch, the PCCC Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch, to use its precise name. Through its compact dimensions, this two-plate dry clutch meets all the requirements of motorsport: Clutch plate diameter is only 169 millimetres or 6.65", serving to give the engine and transmission a very low centre of gravity. A further feature of the new ceramic discs is their much longer service life compared with alternative materials.

Chassis and module frame forming a closely-knit team
The Carrera GT is the first production car in the world with a monocoque chassis and module frame made of carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFP), a principle Porsche has registered for a patent in the meantime. Carbon, a material carried over from the most sophisticated aerospace applications, is elaborately processed and finished on the car in providing the foundation for supreme performance and driving dynamics combined with minimum weight and maximum strength. So here again, Porsche's engineers have transferred the great demands made on the race track to a road-going sports car for regular use, giving the Carrera GT not only outstanding performance, but also supreme safety all in one.

Same underfloor as a racing car
With a top speed of 330 km/h or 205 mph, aerodynamics are obviously a crucial factor. So to maximise the downforces acting on the Carrera GT, the car features underfloor geometry of the same kind otherwise to be found only on racing cars: Interacting with the rear diffuser and airflow channels, the fully covered carbon underfloor generates a suction effect quite unusual on a road-going vehicle of any kind.

Forged magnesium wheels
Measuring 19 inches up front and 20 inches at the rear, and finished in five-spoke design, the wheels of the Carrera GT reveal the car's close connection to motorsports at very first sight. And at the same time they clearly bear testimony to the exclusivity of this high-performance sports car, being produced in a magnesium forging process used for the first time on a production car. Forged magnesium wheels are well over 25 per cent lighter than cast aluminium wheels and offer an excellent service life.

Sensitive suspension set-up
Advancing into an ultra-high speed range, the Carrera GT obviously requires a spectacular spring and damper set-up to maintain the stability of the car – also at the rear – at all speeds. And again, the solution applied for this purpose comes straight from motorsport, spring/damper elements operated by stainless-steel pushrods and pivot levers being fitted inside the chassis structure. This firm connection to the chassis promotes exact response of the springs and dampers, ensuring safe and secure driving behaviour in the process.

Seats only half their usual weight
Within the sophisticated interior of the Carrera GT combining smooth and subtle leather, magnesium and carbon-fibre structures, the all-new seats catch your eye immediately, also through their elegant, sporting design. These are the first production seats ever made of composite carbon and aramide fibres, aramide being better known, of course, as kevlar. The result is a substantial decrease in weight, the bucket seats in the Carrera GT, at 10.3 kg or 22.7 lb, weighing only about half as much as conventional seats.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Text and photos courtesy Porsche AG
09-26-2003, edited 09-26-2003

Porsche Carrera GT – Highlights

Long version
Through its looks alone, the Carrera GT clearly reveals its outstanding performance as an uncompromising supersports of the highest calibre. But unlike prototypes built exclusively for racing, the design of the Carrera GT shows a clear resemblance to production cars and is indeed reminiscent of certain details featured by Porsche's legendary racing cars. One example is the “face" of the Carrera GT with its arrow-shaped front lid and elevated wheel arches, taking up the typical design of the Porsche 718 RS Spyder back in the '60s. And like the 911 Turbo, the Carrera GT comes with three extra-wide air scoops in the lower section at the front, clearly emphasizing the car's unparalleled performance.

Measuring 4.61 metres (181.5") in length, 1.92 metres (75.6") in width, and 1.16 metres (45.7") in height, the Carrera GT looks not only beautiful, but, in particular, very aerodynamic and muscular from the side, its long and stretched-out shoulder line adding to the car's dynamic character. The mid-engine concept is borne out clearly by the cockpit moved far to the front and the long gap between the door and the rear axle. Large air scoops and outlets at the sides in front of and behind the doors provide yet a further touch of excitement and tension, serving above all to ensure a steady flow of air to and from the engine, the transmission, brakes and air conditioning, obviously an absolute must with a car as powerful as the Carrera GT. The powerdomes made of perforated stainless steel extending back over the engine from the rear wall of the cockpit provide a clear and enticing view of the power unit. The structure at the rear end, in turn, is clearly laid out like in a racing car, the rear wing moving up automatically at a speed of 120 km/h or 75 mph to provide the downforce required on the rear axle.

The design of the car is determined throughout by aerodynamic requirements. The main criterion in designing the body of the car and ensuring appropriate aerodynamics was the consideration of genuine racing conditions on the track requiring high downforces. At its top speed of 330 km/h or 205 mph, the Carrera GT develops a downforce of approximately 4000 Newtons, equal to a load pressing on the rear axle of 400 kilos. Elaborate geometry on the underfloor also serves to maximise downforces, without at the same time exerting a negative influence on the car's drag coefficient. With its rear diffuser and airflow channels, the fully covered underfloor made of composite carbon-fibre generates a suction effect quite unusual on a road car.

The Carrera GT is an open two-seater entering the classic open supersports segment. But that does not mean that bad weather will keep the Carrera GT in the garage, since the car comes with a specially developed, easy-to-use roof system made of two individual lightweight carbon shells each weighing 2.4 kilos or 5.3 lb and removable by means of rapid-action catches for subsequent storage in the front luggage compartment. The catches holding the two roof sections in place when mounted on top are able to take up the highest aerodynamic forces, and handling the two roof sections when fitting them in position and removing them from the car is more than easy. The only point to be observed is the correct sequence of installation, first inserting the section on the driver's side, then the second section for the passenger.

Thoroughbred ten-cylinder racing engine

The ten-cylinder power unit with dry sump lubrication behind the cockpit of the Carrera GT is based on a 5.5-litre V10 normal-aspiration engine which might well have been raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, given its qualities as a genuine racing machine. Engine capacity has been increased to 5.7 litres for the production car, enabling the power unit of the Carrera GT, with its tremendous performance, to meet all requirements for circuit racing and at the same time providing all the qualities required in everyday motoring. Indeed, the Carrera GT clearly proves its status as a supersports for the road through its performance data alone: Maximum output is 450 kW (612) at 8000 rpm, maximum torque 590 Newton-metres (435 lb-ft) at 5750 rpm. Top speed, in turn, is 330 km/h or 205 mph, the Carrera GT entering new dimensions through its acceleration from 0 – 100 km/h in just 3.9 seconds, and 0 – 200 km/h in a staggering 9.9 seconds.

The optimised V-angle of the cylinders of 680, in conjunction with the crankshaft fitted very low down, helps to give the engine the very low centre of gravity required on a car of this calibre. Another reason for this narrow cylinder angle was to provide sufficient space for the aerodynamic improvements required. Porsche has opted for the ten-cylinder concept with 570 cubic centimetres per cylinder since this offers optimum conditions for the cylinder charge cycle. Four valves per cylinder and aerodynamically designed intake ducts ensure a perfect cylinder charge and optimum efficiency. Built at Porsche's engine plant in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, the ten-cylinder, through its configuration as a load-bearing component in the car, has an extremely stiff engine block and housing, with the advantage of the cylinder bores remaining absolutely stable and almost entirely free of any distortion.

Ideal for the race track and optimised for the road
The ten-cylinder power unit makes a significant contribution to the ideal weight of the Carrera GT. Weighing only 214 kilos or 472 lb, the engine is made exclusively of light alloy combining supreme strength with equally outstanding temperature resistance. This applies both to the crankcase itself and to the cylinder heads, the crankshaft, with its stroke of 67 millimetres or 2.99" and cylinder bore of 98 millimetres or 3.86", providing overall engine capacity of 5733 cubic centimetres. The forged crankshaft built for minimum mass inertia offers maximum torsional stiffness. The pistons themselves are connected to the crankshaft by titanium conrods combining superior strength with low weight for outstanding refinement and a long, dependable service life at engine speeds of over 8000 rpm.

A six-speed manual gearbox developed especially for the Carrera GT and fitted transversely at the rear of the car conveys the enormous power of the engine smoothly and consistentlyto the road.

Innovative six-speed manual gearbox
A six-speed manual gearbox developed especially for the Carrera GT and fitted transversely at the rear of the car conveys the enormous power of the engine smoothly and consistently to the road. Compact in design and with the lowest possible centre of gravity, the gearbox contributes to the car's optimum weight distribution. Due to the need to use a clutch as compact as possible for racing requirements, the Carrera GT does not come with a two-mass flywheel – but the function of such a flywheel is provided nevertheless by the special design of the input shafts: The first main shaft is hollow, with a long and thin full shaft running inside as a spring rod. Together with the mass weight of the angle drive the two shafts acting as a torsion spring serve to absorb possible jolts coming from the engine, reducing transmission noise in the process.

On the Carrera GT Porsche uses ball-bearing Flexball shift cables for the first time on the outer transmission section, thus introducing yet another worldwide innovation in automotive technology. Contrary to conventional shaft cables with a wound steel core, Flexball cables are made of a flat stainless-steel band resting in bore bearings at each end. This allows the transmission of movements even over larger distances without any frictional losses worth mentioning, providing a very high efficiency rating of 96 percent.

Cutting the ceramic clutch disk with a water jet at 3,000 bar pressure

Another world-first achievement: the ceramic clutch
The Carrera GT is the first car in the world to feature a ceramic clutch, to be precise the PCCC Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch. A particular feature of this worldwide innovation is the small clutch plate measuring just 169 millimetres or 6.56" in diameter and giving the entire drive unit a very low centre of gravity. Another decisive advantage is the low mass weight of the clutch with its positive effect on the engine's dynamic qualities. Previously only a carbon-fibre clutch was able to offer these qualities required in motorsport. But having a much shorter service life, such a clutch would not have met the demands made of the Carrera GT in terms of everyday driving dependability. The PCCC Porsche Ceramic Composite Clutch exceeding even the service life of conventional clutch plates is an all-new construction in every respect. Developing this new technology, Porsche's engineers have benefitted from their excellent experience with PCCB Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes, at the same time continuing the development of this material, making it suitable for a two-plate dry clutch with a long running life.

Push-rod front suspension element at the monocoque bodyshell

The suspension – dynamic and comfortable all in one
The chassis and suspension of the Carrera GT has already proven its qualities under the toughest conditions, being carried over from the Porsche 911 GT1, the winner of the 1998 24 Hours of Le Mans. Experience gained in this and other races regarding the particular requirements made of a composite carbon-fibre chassis has gone into the Carrera GT in all details and with all its features. The fine response and optimum transmission of forces to the chassis of the Carrera GT are ensured by the double-wishbone pushrod axles front and rear. Contrary to the McPherson spring struts commonly used on other Porsche sports cars, pushrods have separate guide sleeves and springs, pursuing a design principle providing sensitive response and perfect spring balance at both low and high speeds. The high standard of driving dynamics, finally, is also supported by the agile power steering.

Ceramic brakes for supreme stopping power
The Carrera GT comes with ceramic brake discs introduced in production cars by Porsche as the first manufacturer in 2001, when this world-first achievement made its appearance in the 911 GT2. Now PCCB Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes have been further optimised and enlarged for the Carrera GT, diameter of the cross-drilled composite ceramic brake discs with their efficient involute cooling ducts measuring 380 millimetres or 14.96" front and rear, another 30 millimetres or 1.18" more than on the 911 GT. Measuring 34 millimetres or 1.34" in thickness, the ceramic discs featured in the PCCB brake system are about 50 per cent lighter than grey-cast-iron discs of the same type and size. In conjunction with the brake lining also developed as a all-new technology, PCCBs immediately build up a very high and, in particular, consistent frictional coefficient when applied, reaching their maximum brake power within fractions of a second. And with abrasion being kept to an absolute minimum, the safety reserves are also very good, even when the brakes are used to the extreme.

Electronic assistance when driving to the limit
When running on different road surfaces and under adverse weather conditions, ABS and the traction control system allow a dynamic style of driving even when the driver goes to the very limit. This system enhances driving stability when braking and accelerating and gives the driver of the Carrera GT an appropriate feeling of safety in line with the car's outstanding performance. The four-channel anti-lock brake system allows individual control of the wheels on the front and rear axles, with the entire set-up of ABS being adapted to the ceramic brakes for very short stopping distances keeping the driver under control with full response of the steering. Integrated four-channel anti-spin control (ASC) is activated whenever required throughout the car's entire acceleration process, preventing excessive wheel spin on the drive wheels and keeping the rear end of the car smooth and stable on the road. Yet another feature serving to slow down the drive wheels of the car when spinning is the automatic brake differential (ABD). Whenever he wishes, however, the driver can do without this electronic support by switching off the entire traction control function by a button in the cockpit.

20-inch forged magnesium wheel

Forged magnesium wheels
Special wheels in five-spoke design have been developed for the Carrera GT, measuring 19 inches up front and 20 inches at the rear. The wheel rims are made in a magnesium forging process applied for the first time on a production car. This special forging process improves the material's fatigue strength and allows lightweight construction through and through, forged magnesium wheels combining supreme strength and stiffness with a reduction in weight by about 25 per cent versus cast aluminium wheels, unsprung masses being reduced accordingly. This provides not only supreme traction, but also allows a particularly sensitive response of the springs and dampers. To allow a quick tyre change, the wheels, like in motor racing, are fastened on the hubs by one central bolt. The tyres developed for the Carrera GT have a very large road contact surface thanks to their dimensions of 265/35 ZR 19 at the front and 335/30 ZR 20 at the rear. The tyre tread is designed to provide maximum traction, very good mechanical grip, lasting strength at very high speeds, and wear kept relatively low for tyres of this kind.

Trendsetting body concept in monocoque design
The Carrera GT is the first car in the world, whether on the road or in racing, to apply a brand new design and construction concept, both the monocoque and the entire frame carrying all the car's modules and components being made of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFP). Contrary to a conventional body structure with a large number of individual components, this monocoque is made of just a few shell elements connected to one another in a high-pressure furnace (a principle, incidentally, registered by Porsche for a patent). The central unit comprises all structural functions, such as the transmission of reaction forces from the suspension and drivetrain normally handled by the bodyshell of the car. The drive unit, in turn, is bolted on to the chassis by means of the engine support fitted firmly in position, these two principal structural components acting together to provide one complete unit with a very high standard of torsional and flexural stiffness one might call the backbone of the Carrera GT.

These modules serve to support the front and rear suspension and at the same time absorb any forces fed in by the crash structures, holding the body panels and the interior in position. CFP is the generic term for composite fibre materials with a large share of carbon used in aerospace applications. Porsche has opted in favour of this material for high-performance components, since this is the only way to combine supreme performance on the road and supreme driving dynamics, on the one hand, with minimum weight and maximum stiffness, on the other. Benefitting from this supreme stiffness, this high-tech fibre material also means superior safety on the road, the Carrera GT providing a level of all-round stiffness (maximum flexural and torsional stiffness) absolutely unprecedented on an open production car and, indeed, quite comparable to the stiff body structure of an all-out racing car and even a lot better than the high standard of stiffness offered by a modern coupé.

Carbon fiber structure with H400 stainless-steel deformation elements

Carbon structure enhancing the car's safety
Apart from its outstanding driving characteristics, the Carrera GT is also a very safe car: This new ultra-high-performance sports car offers all of Porsche's well-known active safety features even at the highest speeds, complying with all crash regulations applied worldwide. In its torsional stiffness, the Carrera GT sets a new record for open cars, the passive safety offered being based on the monocoque passenger cell made of composite carbon fibre and supplemented by integral rollbars on the A- and B-pillars. For even greater strength and safety, the A-pillars are further reinforced by high-strength steel tubes.

To enhance passive safety to an even higher level the longitudinal arms or “chassis legs" on the Carrera GT are made of high-strength stainless steel. This crash structure at the front and rear, comprising suitable deformation profiles, ensures smooth and consistent absorption of energy and impact forces. The bumper system is made up of an ultra-strong aluminium crossbar and impact tubes. The engineers responsible for developing the Carrera GT have given particular attention to suitable protection of the 92-litre (201/4 Imp gal) fuel tank, finding the safest place for the tank made of deep-drawn aluminium within the monocoque structure between the passenger cell and the engine compartment. Inside the cockpit four airbags make yet another contribution to the car's high standard of passive safety, with a full-size frontal airbag and a side airbag for both the driver and passenger. The side impact system, in turn, is made up in each case of a side airbag and a door panel including reinforcements made of high-strength steel tubes serving to take up impact energy.

Apart from leather naturally the interior is dominated in particular by carbon and magnesium.

Functional elegance on all equipment features
The cockpit of the Carrera GT offers all the functional ambience of a genuine racing car, low weight being the name of the game also in this area – a target achieved in full through the exclusive use of high-tech materials throughout the interior. All the composite fibre components in the car's chassis reflect the exclusive nature and quality of carbon as a very special material. The centre console sweeping upwards is also made of carbon firmly connected to the chassis of the car in the interest of extra safety. On top of the centre console is an extra-light, galvanised magnesium element housing all buttons and switches. The gearshift lever with its ball-shaped knob made of laminated birchwood, in turn, bears testimony to the culture of motor racing in the old days. Positioned far up on the centre console, the shift lever is close to the steering wheel in the interest of superior sporting ergonomics. The Carrera GT is the first production car in the world with seat buckets made of composite carbon-fibre combined with non-splintering aramide fibre well-known in everyday language as kevlar. Complete with their supple leather upholstery, the seat buckets weigh a mere 10.3 kilos or 22.7 lb each, approximately half the weight of a “normal" Porsche production seat. But despite all this purism carried over from motor racing, the need for motoring comfort has not been neglected.

In the interest of such superior comfort, the Carrera GT is available, inter alia, with air conditioning and the Porsche Online Pro navigation radio including a BOSE sound system at no extra cost. As the name indicates, the Porsche Online Pro radio offers not only audio functions, but also a navigation system and a tri-band telephone complete with hands-free operation as well as e-mail and internet functions.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Red Nj-s
... the car still doesn't excite me as much as an enzo or a lambo.
I agree.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

"Increasing engine capacity for the Carrera GT to 5.7 litres, Porsche's engineers have now achieved maximum output of 450 kW (612 bhp) at 8000 rpm and maximum torque of 590 Newton metres (435 lb-ft) at 5750 rpm."

As a reference, the 5.7 liter displacement is the same as in the Z06 engine (2 less cylinders and totally different design), where it makes 405 HP at 6000 rpm. But let's look at the torque (where displacement matters more than any other technological advancement available):

Carrera GT: 435 lb-ft at 5750 rpm
Z06: 400 lb-ft at 4800 rpm

Ignoring gearing, the weight is very similar. Z06= 3116 pounds, Carrera GT= 3043 pounds.

What this means is that the classic "oomph" one feels in the Z06, will be similar and at mid-rpm, greater! than that in the Carrera GT. Food for thought for the mantra, "there is no replacement for displacement".
Old 09-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
master gav

excellent post...looks quite exciting

but the top looks kinda wierd...but I dont think this will be an issue as this car is made largely for the track, so some uglyness is justifiable
Old 09-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
The transition from concept to production really left something to be desired. The profile has 911 and Boxster cues to it, but by and large this car could have been styled by any manufacturer and that is a real shame. The Murcielago and Gallardo are definitely Lamborghinis and Ferraris are unmistakable ...

Porsche should have looked to do something more similar to the 959 ...
Old 09-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,629 Likes on 13,880 Posts
Whoever says you cannot buy happiness must be an idiot...

Wow is all I can say about this car. Thanks for the post gavriil!
Old 09-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Banned

The more i look at it, the more I realize how much it is lacking in exoticness.

It looks like Toyota could make it, and pop a 4 cyl in it. GM's concept car (sunfire or something) is more stunning than this.

It is unidentifiable as a Porsche, and it is not stunning/fast enough to be worth the cost.

I just don't get it.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:02 PM

This thread ownsz me. I love this car.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Certified Lurker

this car does absolutly nothing for me.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:40 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

damn i luv u gav u always come thru with the hottest shit
Old 09-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Advanced

awesome pics!!
Old 09-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

that iis just soo beautiful cant even say anything else...im speechless.....GOD JOB PORSCHE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche: Carrera GT News