Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post New Aerokit for the Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe

Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Porsche has developed a special Aerokit for the 911 Turbo Coupe. It includes a front spoiler lip and an entirely new engine cover design with fixed aerofoil.

The characteristic front lip and the distinctive rear spoiler lend the typical turbo silhouette an even more dynamic appearance. The Porsche development center engineers in Weissach attached the greatest possible importance to aerodynamic functionality. The most important objective among the components refined in the wind tunnel was to improve the handling characteristics, given an unchanged drag coefficient of 0.31 compared with the production version.

This ensures that the Aerokit’s optimized streamlining blends ideally with the 480 bhp high performance Coupe's harmonious overall design and enabled further reductions of the lift coefficients on the front and rear axles. This ensures an even more stable drive at high speed.

The aerodynamically coordinated front and rear components may only be fitted together. Compared with the standard 911 Turbo, the door sill trim and the rear skirt are painted in body color as well as the Aerokit’s add-on parts.

The Aerokit is available with immediate effect worldwide at a price of approximately $6,000.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
$6k for 1.5" of extra underbody lip cladding and a slightly diff rear spoiler. Sign me up!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Explosion halts Porsche 911 production

From Worldcarfans...

Porsche has halted production of the 911 for at least 48 hours after a gas explosion rocked its Zuffenhausen plant earlier today. Two employees sustained minor injuries as a result and were quickly rushed to hospital.

"Assembly of the 911 model line will be idled for at least two to three days based on preliminary estimates. The daily production capacity is currently 160 units," the company said in a statement.

The explosion will not affect output of Cayennes and Boxster/Cayman models as that line of the factory is the paint shop that is dealing with 911. Capacity at the plant will be increased by 2013 when a new paint shop appears. It will be capable of handling 170 units per day, built at a cost of €200 million/ USD296 million.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Senior Moderator

MT review of the 2008 GT2. They got 11.4 @ 127.9

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

And, they say its better than the CGT. MT says some funny stuff sometimes tho.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator

dang.

On our exclusive figure-eight test, the GT2 left us awestruck, circling the course in only 22.9 seconds. That's quicker than the Carrera GT. Quicker than the Ferrari Enzo. Quicker, in fact, than any street-legal car we've ever tested.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Moderator

dang, part 2.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator

driven by Chris Harris. now there's a busy guy!! damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKhzE0YiILI
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
mmmmmmmm!!! I'd still take the CGT
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cool thing the GT2 has going over the CGT is the "relatively" low cost horsepower. Another 100 horsepower is "cheap" and easy and it won't be long before there are 900hp+ asphalt pounding TTs running around. I will say 900hp in a GT2 would make apex to straight an umm errr adventure!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Senior Moderator

review by the same LA Times dude who slammed the GTR for being too boring to drive.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,2487267.story

2008 Porsche GT2: Brute almighty

The 200-mph supercar, basically a Porsche Motorsport version of the 911 Turbo, is all the scarier for its effortless ways.
By Dan Neil
April 2, 2008

You may recall from your psychology classes the name Harry Harlow, a controversial researcher known for his wire monkey-surrogate mother experiments. One group of baby rhesus monkeys was taken away from its mothers and given a maternal figure made of terry cloth; another group was given a figure made of just bare wire. These experiments demonstrated the famous Harry-Harlow-was-a-toolbag principle.

In Porsche's laboratory, the relatively luxe 911 Turbo (what with its padded seats and all) is the terry-cloth monkey and the new GT2 -- stripped utterly to its essentials, inhospitable, a harsh mockery of the comforts of the automobile -- is the wire monkey. To love the GT2 is to embrace its malign indifference to your well-being. To cuddle one is to feel the cold bite of steel against your cheek. Mommy, why won't you hold me?

Basically a Porsche Motorsport version of the 911 Turbo (or turbocharged version of the track-ready GT3 RS, if you like), the GT2 is the most hard-core 911 ever to wear a license plate and the first production 911 to exceed 200 mph. Because, obviously, the Turbo's 480 hp is too, too paltry for real Porsche men, the boys in Weissach kicked up the output another 50 hp, with highly capacious intake manifolds and titanium exhaust plumbing on either side of the turbochargers. Lift the engine lid and all you see are the car's enormous lungs ducted from air intakes integrated into the dual-foil spoiler, which looks like something Klingons would carry into battle.

The GT2's steroid regime also includes lots of good old hot-rodding. The Turbo's all-wheel-drive system is jettisoned in favor of a lighter and racier rear-wheel transaxle shared with the GT3 RS. Also shared with the GT3 are the phenomenal 15-inch carbon ceramic front disc brakes and fully adjustable suspension inspired by the paint-shaking machine at Home Depot. The GT2's lightweighting program concludes with ditching the rear seats, tossing out all the sound-deadening material, stripping some interior panels to bare carbon fiber and supplanting the front seats with leather-lined carbon shells padded with . . . well, nothing. The resulting car (3,270 pounds) is 225 pounds lighter than the 911 Turbo and is about as cozy as an MRI machine.

And yet I find it hilarious that Porsche, having thus perverted the car's power-to-weight ratio, chose to retain the two swing-arm cup holders. This begs the question: What the hell is in the cups?

My guess is money: The GT2 retails for a not-insubstantial $192,560. Yes, it offers performance at or above the best supercars in the world; yes, it comes with the finest pedigree in all of motorsports. But 200 grand for a 911? I will talk more about the price later when I address the fewer than 200 or so trustafarians in the U.S. who might be inclined to pony up for the GT2.

From the extraneous metaphor file: The GT2 is like lighting a cigarette on an erupting volcano. It's like cutting a line out of a kilo of cocaine and then snorting the kilo.

This car is quite simply insane and, frankly, kind of scary, not because of any dynamic flaw but because of the way the stupendous forces in hand are delivered with such seeming effortlessness. To begin with, everything is ultra-hard: the seats, the suspension, the steering and brakes, the monocoque chassis that feels made entirely of Higgs bosons. All the slack, wobble and flex has been scourged from the car, leaving -- as the only tactile source of elasticity -- the throttle.

The gestalt of the car, then, is of something enormously powerful but also very locked down and secure, some giant in chains. Squeeze the gas and ramp up to redline in the first three gears (you'll be well in excess of 100 mph when you do) and the car feels totally untroubled. It feels alert, yes, awake, certainly -- and the deep chortle and hiss of the turbocharged engine is something out of Dante. But the GT2 gives off almost none of the clues that provide a frame of reference, no early warning system that you're going too fast. I mean, it has a speedometer, but who ever looks at those?

Here I will defer with thanks and praise to the boffins at Motor Trend, whose instrumented testing of the GT2 (the same car I drove) recorded a 0-60 mph acceleration of 3.4 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 11.4 seconds. Both of those numbers put the GT2 in the ranks of Ferrari Enzos and Koenigsegg CCXs and Pagani Zondas and a few other cars you've never heard of. And yet the salient figure from Motor Trend's tests is the trap speed: At the end of the quarter-mile, the GT2 can be traveling at 127.4 miles per hour. From there it's a short and exhilarating escalator ride to over 200 mph.

Let me unpack those numbers for you. It means that when you jump on the GT2's throttle -- something you'll be sorely tempted to do -- it practically explodes in a furious, jaw-slacking, gut-churning hullabaloo of weapons-grade torque such that accelerating from 60 to 120 mph takes one gearshift and a few scant seconds. This, to state the obvious, is kind of fun. But it's the sort of performance you dare not access on the street. Drivers a half-mile ahead can dutifully check their mirrors before changing lanes, and in the time it takes to signal and turn the wheel, the GT2 can materialize beside them like it's dropping out of hyperspace.

Unfortunately, the 405 Freeway does not connect to the Autobahn. The trouble with the GT2 is that it feels so unfulfilled driven at regular speeds. Indeed, this is a problem with most supercars: The suspension and brakes, the steering and engine aren't being at all taxed by the velocities and forces invoked by just muttering up the Angeles Crest Highway. But this sensation is particularly acute with the GT2, which is a thoroughbred race car. To get the GT2 to really harmonize, to come into itself dynamically, you have to go at it really hard, and that is simply too dangerous on the street. Not that the car is undriveable; on the contrary, it's as complaisant and tractable as any other 911. The engine's got loads of low-end torque; the controls aren't really race-car heavy. It's even got a decent nav and audio system. But the overwhelming sense of the car is one of deep, almost painful frustration.

This brings me to a truism, a Zen koan of automobility: It's more fun to go fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car.

Whom is this car for? First, it's for extremely well-heeled club-racing enthusiasts, who will weep with joy behind the wheel. Second, it's for organizations like Motor Trend that have independently verified the car's astonishing -- though kind of irrelevant -- 0-60 mph acceleration. The GT2 marks the first appearance of Porsche's launch control system that goes by the hilarious euphemism of "Start-off Assist." The way it works is this: Toggle through the menu on the instrument panel until the boost gauge is displayed. Put the car in first gear, rev to about 5,000 rpm (or 14 pounds of boost) and drop the clutch. The system automatically feathers the throttle to maximize grip and hole-shot acceleration. For a similar sensation, put a rodeo barrel on a train track, climb in and wait.

There's a charming note in the owners manual that says, basically, use of Start-Off Assist will considerably shorten the life of certain driveline components. No duh.

In any event, the GT2's 0-60 mph number is pure marketing, the glowing numerical nimbus of incomparable performance around this, Porsche's halo car. Nobody who owns this car is going to be flogging it at Irwindale Speedway on test-and-tune night -- like I did (sorry, Porsche).

It ain't me, babe. I continue to love the 911 Turbo, with its all-wheel drive and available automatic transmission, comfy seats, compliant suspension and proper upholstery. The Turbo churns up virtually all of the same Porsche-brand adrenaline while still being livable and lovable. So it only goes 0-60 mph in 3.6 seconds. So it only goes 190 mph. Call me a wuss.

The GT2 is too bad a monkey for me.

2008 Porsche 911 GT2
Base price: $192,560
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
where's the lottery when you need it
Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by godfather2
where's the lottery when you need it
oh man!!!!!!! I would kill... to drive this car..

serious though.. I feel a need to drive one!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Let me unpack those numbers for you. It means that when you jump on the GT2's throttle -- something you'll be sorely tempted to do -- it practically explodes in a furious, jaw-slacking, gut-churning hullabaloo of weapons-grade torque such that accelerating from 60 to 120 mph takes one gearshift and a few scant seconds. This, to state the obvious, is kind of fun. But it's the sort of performance you dare not access on the street. Drivers a half-mile ahead can dutifully check their mirrors before changing lanes, and in the time it takes to signal and turn the wheel, the GT2 can materialize beside them like it's dropping out of hyperspace.
damn this guy writes well.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Time to Climb

on a serious note, all that hp scares me. all i need is 200-300 hp at the wheels to be quite happy. i've been driving for over a decade now, but i'm still far too unexperienced to confidently drive a beast with such high parameters
Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

on a serious note, all that hp scares me. all i need is 200-300 hp at the wheels to be quite happy. i've been driving for over a decade now, but i'm still far too unexperienced to confidently drive a beast with such high parameters
It is probably not the best "starter" car but having all that power at the beck and call of your right foot does not necessarily mean the car is evil. Ultimately, it's still your decision how far you put your foot down. Like anything else of the sort it's something you get used to. And after a while, it becomes second nature and you get absolutely accustomed to it. That being said, if I had that kind of money to spend, I would probably be thinking about a used Murcielago. Or, a LP560-4.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Time to Climb

you may be right on some accounts, but i still don't need/want all that power. fyi, i've driven vipers and vettes so the gt2 def wouldn't be a starter car haha
Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Start going to the local autox's or find a driving school. They are great and something i personally think every driver should have to take. Many auto-x's will even have an instructor ride with you to help.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Time to Climb

if you foot the bill, I'M SO THERE
Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
man I wish I was a good enough driver to handle this car... maybe someday...

Originally Posted by Yumchah

Last I checked this isn't an Aston thread...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by savage
man I wish I was a good enough driver to handle this car... maybe someday...

Last I checked this isn't an Aston thread...
STFU.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

you may be right on some accounts, but i still don't need/want all that power. fyi, i've driven vipers and vettes so the gt2 def wouldn't be a starter car haha
oh ok.. thats what I thought - you made it sound like you were a , above.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Time to Climb

i might as well be a noob at driving true high hp/performance machines. honestly, they kind of intimidate me -- which is a good thing considering my driving record. i get flamed for it all the time, but i prefer my automatic too
Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

ok I give up. :surrender

auto has won.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...he-911/233008/

Spied: Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Monday, June 02, 2008

As Porsche prepares to unveil a newly facelifted version of its 911, our spies have caught the next evolution of the hardcore GT3 RS model testing at the Nurburgring.

The new GT3 RS is expected to go on sale next year, while the updated version of the standard 911 will be released within the next few months. Styling around the front and rear bumper has been subtly modified, and this lightweight, track-focused Porsche is now expected to offer around 450bhp; that’s 40bhp more than the current car.

The updated standard 911 - which Autocar.co.uk will have first official pictures of this Friday (6 June) - is expected to use new direct-injection engines. However, it’s not yet clear whether the GT3 RS will follow suit because its engine block has traditionally been based on the unit from the Porsche GT1 racing car.

We do know that the GT3 will get Porsche’s new seven-speed, dual-clutch transmission, officially known as Porsche Doppel Kupplung (PDK). It’s a paddle-shift-only unit and promises seamless, rapid cog-swapping. Other new touches include LED brake lights and Audi R8-style LED driving lights, set within a redesigned front bumper.

Will Powell
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hopefully that is just an option. I refuse to believe the new GT3 RS wouldn't come with a manual tranny.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
why not go to them They are faster and better track oriented.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
why not go to them They are faster and better track oriented.
I dont have a problem with them offering them,...as long as the good ole traditional manual is still available.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i am sure they will, this is Porsche, the king of options on their cars... i mean you can specify the seatbelt color...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by savage
i am sure they will, this is Porsche, the king of options on their cars... i mean you can specify the seatbelt color...
true,.....good point, I am more at ease,....
Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2009 Porsche 911 Facelift Revealed

From WCF...

Its Friday and Porsche has given us just the tonic to start our weekend off with a bang by revealing the first photos and details of the 911(997) facelift. Subtle modifications to the exterior provide a slightly updated look, but beneath this superb posterior the Porsche engineers have really gone to work.

For the 2009 model year, the Carrera and Carrera S will get a new optional seven-speed automatic double-clutch gearbox dubbed Porsche-Doppelkupplung (PDK) along with a new direct injection system– the first time we have seen this in a Porsche sportscar. The new double-clutch gearbox replaces the Tiptronic S automatic transmission and now allows the gear changes without any break or interruption to traction and pulling power.

The 3.6-liter unit in the 911 Carrera has been boosted by 20bhp bringing total output to 345 bhp. Acceleration time from 0-60mph stands at 4.7 seconds, an extra 0.2 seconds is shaved off this time with the double-clutch gearbox. Despite the rise in power the 2009 Carrera's fuel economy figure remain impressive coming in at 9.8 liters/100km whilst reducing emissions by up to 15% keeping it significantly below the Porsche's benchmark of 11 liters/100km for the Carrera range.

Not to be left out, the Carrera S' 3.8-liter unit has been tuned to power out an extra 30bhp bringing total output to 385 bhp. The sportscar can now shoot from 0-60mph in just 4.3 seconds with the double-clutch gearbox and it can now achieve a top speed of 186mph (300 km/h).

As we already mentioned the exterior modifications are kept to a minimum with the incorporation of front and rear LED lights along with slightly redesigned bumpers. Pricing for the 2009 Porsche Carrera will start at €69,600 for the Coupe and €78,000 for for Cabrio whilst the Carrerra S will start at €78,000 for the Coupe and €88,000 for the Cabrio.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Senior Moderator

microsite

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...specialguest=0

launch control is also available, reducing the 0-60 sprint by 0.2 sec - that is the manuf claim, is probably quicker IRL.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love the taillights
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
More details...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...etails-leaked/
Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I like the pre-facelift front end better. The Carrera's front looks classy. The facelift looks Boxster-ish - not a bad thing, but not different enough
Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

yeah looks more like a Boxster now.. as if it wasn't an issue enough before.. step in the WRONG direction! anyways still looks nice. Of course when the 997 came out, I didn't like it, and now I think it looks great.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
Yup, new color.........Nordic Gold Metallic.

I think it looks great.

Probably won't go over big with the Porsche faithful.

With that, I would lease a Porsche in that color.
It was an exclusive Cayenne GTS color until this.

The Cayenne GTS people have loved it so far, but most of the Porsche faithful hate everything that isn't a 911
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I want to get one in PDG with the PDK, PASM, POSIP, PSM. PCM 2.1, maybe with PCCB.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
It was an exclusive Cayenne GTS color until this.

The Cayenne GTS people have loved it so far, but most of the Porsche faithful hate everything that isn't a 911
you're replying to a post that's dated July 2006. When did the Cayenne GTS come out?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LotusTracker
love the taillights

And since 2006, they've gone back to round headlights instead of those nasty 996/early boxster type headlights too...

With the current 997 the 911 is finally looking good once again

Quick Reply: Porsche: 911 News