Porsche: 911 News

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
The GT3 is so beautiful
The turbo model notwithstanding, the GT3 is by far my favorite Porsche. It was really only one of four cars at the NYIAS that I pretty stood before and at. (the other three being the Cayenne, GTR and Audi S6.)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
560 hp..........

<small>May</small>03
Porsche 911 Turbo S

Words/Photos: Porsche
The 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S: 0-60 in 2.8s
Atlanta. The Porsche model offensive in the anniversary year of the 911 is reaching new heights. Fifty years ago, the 911 made its debut at the Frankfurt International Auto Show – and just ten years later, the first 911 Turbo prototype was at the IAA. On this 40th anniversary of the 911 Turbo, Porsche is now presenting the new generation 911 Turbo and Turbo S – the technological and dynamic performance peak of the 911 series. A new all-wheel-drive system, active rear axle steering, adaptive aerodynamics, full-LED headlights, and up to 560 hp from a flat six-cylinder engine with twin-turbochargers underscore the role of the new generation 911 Turbo as an ultra performance car, every day car, and technology flagship. Playing an equally crucial role are an entirely new chassis and lightweight design with a 3.9-inch longer wheelbase and larger 20-inch wheels. The Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) active anti-roll system, which is being offered for the first time in 911 Turbo models, increases dynamic performance even more. This system is standard equipment in the 911 Turbo S, as is Sport Chrono Package Plus with dynamic engine mounts, and Porsche Carbon Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB); all of these features are also available as options in the 911 Turbo. The result: The new 911 Turbo S shortens the lap time for the North Loop of the NĂĽrburgring to well under 7 and a half minutes – with standard production tires.

Improved Performance and Efficiency
The new engine and refined PDK transmission is partnered with a new Porsche Traction Management (PTM) all-wheel drive system. The turbocharged 3.8-liter six-cylinder engine with direct fuel injection produces 520 hp in the 911 Turbo and 560 hp in the S model. Porsche continues to be the only carmaker to offer two turbochargers with variable turbine geometry on a gasoline engine. Power is transferred to the drivetrain via a seven-speed dual clutch transmission (PDK), which now enables an auto start/stop function with engine shutoff, which activates earlier while the car is coming to a stop as well as when coasting at speed. A new combined thermal management system for the turbo engine and the PDK transmission are projected to result in real world fuel economy improvements when final U.S. EPA label values are calculated closer to the time the car is on sale in the United States. Induction and engine sounds are transmitted to the passenger compartment via a speaker diaphragm.

New all-wheel drive with electro-hydraulic control
For even faster and more precise power distribution to the front and rear axles, Porsche developed a new PTM all-wheel drive system with electronically controlled and activated multi-plate coupling. The system is equipped with a new water cooling function, which allows for more strength, and therefore more drive torque to the front wheels, than the system in the previous 911 Turbo. Simultaneously, the optimized interplay of the engine, transmission and all-wheel drive systems results in significant improvements to the acceleration capabilities of the 911 Turbo and Turbo S. The 911 Turbo with the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus accelerates from zero to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, on its way to a top track speed of 196 mph. The 911 Turbo S handles the sprint to 60 mph in just 2.9 seconds, with a top track speed of 198 mph.

Widest body of all 911 cars
Visually, the two new top variants of the 911 lineup are set apart from other models more than ever. The characteristic expansively wide rear body panels of the new generation 911 Turbo are a further 1.1 inches wider than on the 911 Carrera 4– the fenders feature a nearly level surface, about the width of a hand, between the C-pillar and the outer edge of the car body. Other differentiating characteristics include forged two-tone 20-inch aluminum wheels. On the 911 Turbo S they have center hub wheel locks. The Turbo S is further differentiated by new, standard full-LED headlights that feature four-point daytime running lights and camera-based high/low beam control, which can be ordered as an option for the 911 Turbo.

Rear wheel steering notably enhances responsiveness
The introduction of rear wheel steering in all turbo models immensely improves both track driving capability and everyday performance of the two new sports cars. The system consists of two electro-mechanical actuators, instead of the conventional control links, on the left and right rear axles. The steering angle of the rear wheels can be varied by up to 2.8 degrees, depending on vehicle speed. At speeds up to 31 mph, when the front wheels are turned, the system steers the rear wheels in the opposite direction. This actually corresponds to a virtual shortening of the wheelbase by 9.8 inches, which gives the 911 Turbo unrivalled performance in curves. The system lets the car turn faster into corners and offers more dynamic steering response. This noticeably simplifies maneuvering and parking.
At speeds above 50 mph, the system steers the rear wheels parallel to the front wheels. This is equivalent to a virtual lengthening of the wheelbase by 19.6 inches and gives the car tremendous directional control capability. At the same time, the steering input by the driver leads to significantly faster build-up of lateral force at the rear axle, which responds to steering commands even more quickly.

Active aerodynamics improve efficiency and performance
Porsche developed an active aerodynamic system on the new 911 Turbo models for the first time. It consists of a retractable three-stage front spoiler, whose segments can be pneumatically extended, and a deployable rear wing with three adjustable wing positions. This makes it possible to tune the aerodynamics of the 911 Turbo to fulfill driver wishes for either optimal efficiency or top dynamic performance. In the performance position, all segments of the front spoiler are fully extended, and they generate considerable down force at the front axle. Similarly, the rear wing is extended to its maximum height with the greatest angle of attack. This also generates more down force at the rear axle. Dynamic performance is improved to such an extent that lap times at the North Loop of the NĂĽrburgring are improved by up to two seconds due to this system alone.

New interior with high-end features
The interior was completely redesigned in both 911 Turbo models, and it builds on the 911 Carrera family. The S model is particularly well equipped, offering such features as an exclusive interior in a black/Carrera red color combination and standard Sport Seats Plus with 18-way adjustment and memory. In addition, the seat back shells are upholstered in leather with double cap seams and various elements in carbon look. As on the previous models, the Bose® sound system is installed as standard; for the first time, a Burmester® system is also available as an optional feature. A radar-controlled cruise control system, camera-based road sign recognition, and speed limit recognition are other new options being offered.
The new top models of the 911 model series arrive on the market at the end of 2013 in the United States. The 911 Turbo is priced from $148,300 while the 911 Turbo S begins at $181,100, not including a destination charge of $950.

The following users liked this post:
ttribe (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Hi-res of the Turbo S - https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...ostcount=10260
srika (05-04-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

how on Earth did I miss that.....
Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

also see the web special at www.porsche.com
Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Love love love this car!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by srika
how on Earth did I miss that.....
I was kind of wondering why you didn't say anything earlier.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
No stick no buy, because honestly driving any type of auto or dct or PDK whatever the fuck its called is boring, might be interesting on the track, but I don't care about lap times, its all about the enjoyment, and with no stick/clutch pedal, I really do not find those to be any fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by OperationDarkie:
00TL-P3.2 (05-06-2013), civicdrivr (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
No stick no buy, because honestly driving any type of auto or dct or PDK whatever the fuck its called is boring, might be interesting on the track, but I don't care about lap times, its all about the enjoyment, and with no stick/clutch pedal, I really do not find those to be any fun.
It's a real shame they are disappearing.

I am def a, "no stick, no buy" guy as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by West6MT:
civicdrivr (05-04-2013), srika (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ttribe
I was kind of wondering why you didn't say anything earlier.
bunch of us posted car photos around the same time in that thread and I totally missed a bunch.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Just because it has the PDK trans doesn't, by any means, make this car boring. The power is intoxicating, the sound they make is music to everyone's ears, and the overall package is just unbeatable.

Judging a car by its transmission is just outright dumb.
The following 3 users liked this post by 05TLdcc:
fsttyms1 (05-05-2013), Rick_TL-S (05-05-2013), ttribe (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
It doesn't matter anyway. The manufacturers gave the public a chance to keep manuals in development & it turned out the only people who wanted them were those who could not even afford them to begin with.

From a financial standpoint, it's ridiculous to keep something in development that no one/a minority buys.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn, can't edit my post, but nailed the price 2 months ago.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage
Packing a twin-turbocharged and direct-injected 3.8-liter flat-six engine, the new 911 Turbo rates at 520 horsepower while the more extreme 911 Turbo S benefits from a 560-horsepower rating. That’s up 20 and 30 horsepower, respectively, over the outgoing models.

Power is transferred to all four wheels via Porsche’s seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission, which now features an engine stop-start system that even works when the car is coasting in order to maximize fuel economy. The end result is gas mileage of 24 mpg on the European combined cycle, with either model (EPA figures will be released closer to launch). Unfortunately, reports of the manual’s demise on the latest 911 Turbo look to have been accurate as Porsche has made no mention of the three-pedal option yet.

Considering the performance of the car, we doubt it will be missed much. Porsche is quoting a 0-60 mph time of 3.2 seconds for the 911 Turbo with the optional Sport Chrono Package and a time of just 2.9 seconds for the 911 Turbo S with the same Sport Chrono Package. Top speed is 196 and 198 mph, respectively.

As for the Nürburgring lap time, Porsche states only that it will be well under 7:30.

Unlike previous generations, the latest 911 Turbo is wider than even the 911 Carrera 4 models, to the tune of 1.1 inches. Other unique elements include two-tone aluminum wheels measuring 20 inches across and aggressive intakes in the rear bumper. The 911 Turbo S gets a few additional unique features, including center hub wheel locks and standard full-LED headlights.

Sales commence at the end of 2013, with pricing starting at $149,250 for the 911 Turbo and $182,050 for the 911 Turbo S. Both prices include a $950 destination fee.
The 997 Turbo retailed for $132,000 with the S at $160,000 (with a 4 year gap). The GT2 was at $200,000. Take in the fact that the R8 is near the end of its life cycle & this will be an all-new Turbo roughly the same price, it's a guarantee that extra money for the Porsche will blow the Audi away, as it should. The only thing the Audi will have is exclusivity & looks.

Going off the new GT3, which is a $15,000 raise over the 997 GT3, I'd bet the new Turbo retails for around $150,000 & the S at $180,000.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
Just because it has the PDK trans doesn't, by any means, make this car boring. The power is intoxicating, the sound they make is music to everyone's ears, and the overall package is just unbeatable.

Judging a car by its transmission is just outright dumb.
Well I can do the same thing to you, judging a car by its power is just outright dumb

If my preference is stick, don't force your opinion on me. So what if YOU like PDK transmissions, I'll take a manual any day of the week over a glorified automatic because that is what it is, an AUTOMATIC. I do not like auto's, ever car I have owned since I was a teenager was a stick and I plan to keep it that way, my girlfriend will drive a stick and my kids will drive one, because autos are boring.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
The base 911 turbo is suppose to be faster than the CGT by several seconds....Hot damn!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Coal

Well I can do the same thing to you, judging a car by its power is just outright dumb

If my preference is stick, don't force your opinion on me. So what if YOU like PDK transmissions, I'll take a manual any day of the week over a glorified automatic because that is what it is, an AUTOMATIC. I do not like auto's, ever car I have owned since I was a teenager was a stick and I plan to keep it that way, my girlfriend will drive a stick and my kids will drive one, because autos are boring.
I wasn't forcing my opinion on you. I, too, drive a manual. I love it for the most part, it makes you part of the car instead of the blob inside it.

The Turbo is just a car you have to drive to understand. In all reality, it's such a precision machine, the only thing slowing it down is the blob shifting gears. And that's what car manufactures, who produce high performance machines and fight for every inch they have over the competition, worry about. That's why the manual will eventually phase out or become a rarity, we're getting to a point in mathematics and physics where it will take a revolution to get any better in cars.

No need to get angry at my opinion manuals could have been saved in the US but the general population didn't care.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
It's an amazing car Rick, no doubt about it.

But $182k for a 911 Turbo is not something I can logically reconcile.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by charliemike:
05TLdcc (05-05-2013), ttribe (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
I wasn't forcing my opinion on you. I, too, drive a manual. I love it for the most part, it makes you part of the car instead of the blob inside it.

The Turbo is just a car you have to drive to understand. In all reality, it's such a precision machine, the only thing slowing it down is the blob shifting gears. And that's what car manufactures, who produce high performance machines and fight for every inch they have over the competition, worry about. That's why the manual will eventually phase out or become a rarity, we're getting to a point in mathematics and physics where it will take a revolution to get any better in cars.

No need to get angry at my opinion manuals could have been saved in the US but the general population didn't care.
Yeah my bad getting all defensive, been having a lot of people I hang with/work with asking me why I still have a stick car.

Well all in all I am sure its a nice car, but like charlie said 182k and no stick, not even an option for it it's definitely a no buy for me. I still think it should at least be offered, cause lord knows how much it would cost if something happened to break on a trans like that.
05TLdcc (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Have you ever driven one? Because it shares more in common with a manual than an automatic, more than you might think.

Yeah my bad getting all defensive, been having a lot of people I hang with/work with asking me why I still have a stick car.

Well all in all I am sure its a nice car, but like charlie said 182k and no stick, not even an option for it it's definitely a no buy for me. I still think it should at least be offered, cause lord knows how much it would cost if something happened to break on a trans like that.
Why? No one was buying the 7-speeds when they came out, why should Porsche cater to manual owners now?

Again, the manufacturers gave the public a chance to prove people still wanted manuals. And yet no one bought them. It is a poor financial move to engineer the car for a transmission that doesn't justify enough in sales.

It has become ever so apparent, that the majority of people who complain about no more manuals in exotics are people who can't afford them to begin with. Why should any manufacturer listen to someone whose only involvement with them is window shopping.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Coal

Originally Posted by West6MT
Pretty sure your comment, " Judging a car by its transmission is just outright dumb" elicited that response. You would have gotten the same response from me had I come back to this thread after I posted.
No doubt I could have used much better words.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Have you ever driven one? Because it shares more in common with a manual than an automatic, more than you might think.
Indeed. The SMG in my M5 shifted like a manual. Very deliberate; even in auto mode.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Ultra Negro

Why? No one was buying the 7-speeds when they came out, why should Porsche cater to manual owners now?
No clutch pedal, it ain't a manual. That's just how I look at it.

Besides a lot of my family grew up on driving sticks, I remember when the battery used to die in this old truck every day, we would push start that mofo jump in drop the clutch and be driving, not sure if you can do that with auto/pdks/smg/dct, never tried it.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Besides a lot of my family grew up on driving sticks, I remember when the battery used to die in this old truck every day, we would push start that mofo jump in drop the clutch and be driving, not sure if you can do that with auto/pdks/smg/dct, never tried it.

Pretty much my sentiments as well.

I don't care if it shifts faster, what the mechanical gubbins inside the tranny are (still computer controlled even if the internals are essentially that of a manual transmission), or how much it "shifts like a manual." It's just not as satisfying pulling on a paddle vs the fun/skill/intricacies involved with using a clutch pedal and H pattern to upshift/downshift (for me).

To keep things more on topic,.......

Something in the looks dept is a bit "off" for me. I can't quite figure out what it is. I think the shape of the inner headlights, and the more squared off shoulders looking at it from the rear. I'm sure in person it looks awesome though. I need to see some vid. Performance sounds stellar.
The following 2 users liked this post by West6MT:
civicdrivr (05-06-2013), Costco (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Suzuka Master

So, that's a no. I'll be sure to take your opinion then of DCT-esque gearboxes as of little importance until you have.
fsttyms1 (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Ultra Negro

So, that's a no. I'll be sure to take your opinion then of DCT-esque gearboxes as of little importance until you have.
As I said never had a car with a DCT, it has only been a car with 3 pedals and a h pattern shifter, and I highly doubt I will own anything with paddle shift unless that is how all cars are in a couple years, but my turbo miata will have to keep me entertained until something else can warrant me spending money on it, been looking at the new gt 500 though, especially for the price it is offering, been looking at some muscle for quite some time now, might have to get away from the imports and try out some domestics again and see if they spark my ire like my old blown 89 5.0 did.

I will say this though, if the car was won/given to me I probably won't have any problems owning it till I look at how much insurance every 6 months is, then it will probably be sold to buy something with a massive motor.

and auto blog said it best

"We're not whipping the car around Le Mans, so Porsche can keep the faster-than-human shifts of the double-clutch box. We want our third pedal."

Last edited by OperationDarkie; 05-06-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Senior Moderator

I can't believe people are saying the feel of driving a DCT or whatever is similar to a manual. I'll spell it out since there seems to be some confusion. The joy of driving MT is not the harsher shifts that are felt strongly i.e. not smoothly (but which can also be quite smooth if you want them to be); the joy of driving MT involves the additional physical acts required, the additional thinking, calculation, and motions to keep the car moving effectively, the joy of heel-and-toeing, and the spirited active nature of being in complete physical control of the car's motion. I know it's a dying breed but I will always want MT in a sports car. Even when I drove the LFA I was wishing it had a MT. The experience had this underlying "clinical" feel just because of the paddle shifters; sure the downshifts sounded glorious but that's the car doing that work - that's the car doing that rev-matching - *I* want to do that rev-matching myself, I want to have complete throttle control of that glorious V10.

As many know, I'm in the MT camp. And I've said it before but I'll say it again, if I was in the market to buy a Porsche, it would be a 997GT3. And I don't care if the PDK car is faster on the Nurburgring or whatever, that means nothing to me. If money was no object I would have a CGT.
The following 4 users liked this post by srika:
00TL-P3.2 (05-06-2013), civicdrivr (05-06-2013), Costco (05-06-2013), jnc2000 (05-08-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Ultra Negro

I can't believe people are saying the feel of driving a DCT or whatever is similar to a manual. I'll spell it out since there seems to be some confusion. The joy of driving MT is not the harsher shifts that are felt strongly i.e. not smoothly (but which can also be quite smooth if you want them to be); the joy of driving MT involves the additional physical acts required, the additional thinking, calculation, and motions to keep the car moving effectively, the joy of heel-and-toeing, and the spirited active nature of being in complete physical control of the car's motion. I know it's a dying breed but I will always want MT in a sports car. Even when I drove the LFA I was wishing it had a MT. The experience had this underlying "clinical" feel just because of the paddle shifters; sure the downshifts sounded glorious but that's the car doing that work - that's the car doing that rev-matching - *I* want to do that rev-matching myself, I want to have complete throttle control of that glorious V10.

As many know, I'm in the MT camp. And I've said it before but I'll say it again, if I was in the market to buy a Porsche, it would be a 997GT3. And I don't care if the PDK car is faster on the Nurburgring or whatever, that means nothing to me. If money was no object I would have a CGT.
What is a CGT?

I wouldn't mind a sequential trans with a clutch like the rally guys use.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,136 Likes on 4,805 Posts
Carrera GT.

And srika hit the nail on the head. Its not about how much faster it is around the track (how many owners of these cars actually track them?), but about how the car makes you feel.
Costco (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Well said Srika

CGT = Porsche Carrera GT

civicdrivr (05-07-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Wow that rear shot makes it look really wide. Shame it's DCT only though. Count me in the no stick, no buy crowd. Not that I could buy one anytime soon anyway.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

I too used to be in the Manual or nothing camp (still am to a point). I still much prefer the Manual over the auto, BUT if there was also a DSG style trans offered i would take that now. I agree with your assessment of the joy to drive a manual, but there is also more to a manual than what you posted. While i agree that the above do make the manual great, Another thing they were designed for was and the track (vs auto) and spirited driving and having more control of the car. While not everyone takes their car to a track to truly have fun and experience the full potential of the car, I do and it does make the car better for me. The DSG trans are the modern upgrade, just like Kers style systems being offered by porsche, ferrari, mclaren ect.. They are designed to make the car better, and many hate the fact its a "Hybrid" of sorts. Personally i want what makes the car better/faster. Especially for me when i spend much time driving spirited,and some track time.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 05-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

the reason I didn't mention the track purposes for MT is because it doesn't apply anymore - the new cars with DSG and PDK etc are faster than the MT on the tracks
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

I can't believe people are saying the feel of driving a DCT or whatever is similar to a manual.
Let's stop right there. I never said the feeling is similar to driving a manual & I don't believe ttribe did, either. I said it has more in common with a manual than an automatic, in terms of how the transmission acts. Drive a DCT-equipped vehicle at slow speeds. You'll find they're very jerky & unpredictable, and you can feel the transmission trying to depress or release the clutch; they're not fun at all to drive in slow traffic (kind of like a manual).

If any of ya'll have driven some of these cars in their Auto modes, you'd know those modes are more unresponsive & slower to react than the automatics mainstream manufacturers produce. For example, a Gallardo S. in Auto Mode is god awful. The shifts aren't fast, & the car is extremely slow to downshift when you try to go WOT. It's an after thought for the lazy. The Corsa & Sport modes are where the car is meant to be driven.

I'll spell it out since there seems to be some confusion. The joy of driving MT is not the harsher shifts that are felt strongly i.e. not smoothly (but which can also be quite smooth if you want them to be); the joy of driving MT involves the additional physical acts required, the additional thinking, calculation, and motions to keep the car moving effectively, the joy of heel-and-toeing, and the spirited active nature of being in complete physical control of the car's motion.
Please. You & I both know any manual owner outside the enthusiast market doesn't know how to heel-toe for shit (I doubt a large portion of enthusiasts themselves can do it), or gives any thought to the "additional thinking, calculation, & motions" bs. Then you have those people who think they know all this, & still do dumb things such as riding the clutch or making shifts at the wrong points.

Driving a manual doesn't require any of that once you've done it long enough anyway, because it all eventually becomes 2nd nature. That's why you still see morons talking on the phone or distracted in some form of another even with a manual.

I'll agree a manual is more fun because it's more engaging, physically, but not because I can make the car do something so much more that a DCT transmission can't.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-06-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

I never said the feeling is similar to driving a manual
sure sounds like you did.

And it's not BS, it's a specific personal preference for many. And last time I checked, the 911 is not a car that is bought by the masses. It IS a specialized group with specialized preferences. I know DSG's are the wave of the future, I'm just stating my opinion and preference towards manual.

As far as I'm concerned manual vs DSG is apples to oranges. Completely different experiences.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
If DCT was so much better Lewis Hamilton would not have special ordered a 2 million dollar Pagani with a manual.

One transmission option on a 6 figure car is just a profit-increase for their VW overlords.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

sure sounds like you did.
Where did I say anything about the feeling, though?

Let's throw in this part as well since you wanted to quote my last post as well.
I said it has more in common with a manual than an automatic, in terms of how the transmission acts.
And it's not BS, it's a specific personal preference for many. And last time I checked, the 911 is not a car that is bought by the masses. It IS a specialized group with specialized preferences. I know DSG's are the wave of the future, I'm just stating my opinion and preference towards manual.
The majority of 911 buyers are not enthusiasts looking for a manual fun. They are people looking to show off their wealth.

911 owners are just like F430 & Gallardo owners with a smaller checkbook.
As far as I'm concerned manual vs DSG is apples to oranges. Completely different experiences.
Not really, but whatever, then.
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
If DCT was so much better Lewis Hamilton would not have special ordered a 2 million dollar Pagani with a manual.
What kind of weak ass argument is this? Celebrities order special shit all the time.
One transmission option on a 6 figure car is just a profit-increase for their VW overlords.
So explain Ferrari? Koenigsegg? Pagani? All companies who have phased out or phasing out manuals.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-07-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow had no idea about this until you mentioned it! I have a newfound respect for Hamilton.
While test-driving the 760RS, Evo Magazine has discovered that a manual version of the new Zonda 760RS has been ordered but with a change to the last two letters – RS being replaced with LH for Lewis Hamilton. The 2008 Formula One champion has apparently opted for the self-shifter because his ‘company car’ has a paddle-shift gearbox and when he drives for fun he prefers a manual.

Only last month Pagani announced increased production for the Pagani Huayra to match increased demand. But while the Huayra has moved to the fore, Pagani say it will keep building Zondas for people who want them.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

I bet It has NOTHING to do as to which one is better, but to what LH Wanted.

Quick Reply: Porsche: 911 News