Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, and with those wheels
Old 08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
I'm not sayin' it's nicer than an Aston Martin DB9...but, this limited Cayman has since temporarily become my desktop wallpaper.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
ludicrously hot
Old 08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Oops. Forgot to ask: WYHI...?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I like.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I feel the need...

In the "striking orange paint"
Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
The car looks great but the paint is horrific.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Money is funny.

i'm :ghey: so I like the orange paint.... good fnid yummy chan!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
WOW !! That's looks awesome !! Love the paint too...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
WOW !! That's looks awesome !! Love the paint too...
yeah i think the color looks good too, especially with the black rims.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2008 Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder

Old 11-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is presenting a new version of the mid-engine Boxster sports car at the Bologna Motor Show in early December. In its colour, design, features and philosophy, the Boxster RS 60 Spyder brings back Porsche’s motorsport era of the ‘60s: After countless class wins, the Porsche Type 718 RS 60 Spyder was able to take on and beat its competitors also in the larger engine categories, scoring its first overall victory in 1960 in one of the most prestigious long-distance races for the Manufacturers’ World Championship in the important US market, Hans Herrmann/Olivier Gendebien winning the 12 Hours of Sebring in Florida.

Now the new Boxster RS 60 Spyder is taking up the momentum and purism of that so successful mid-engine two-seater racing car. The front end of this special model taken as a standard feature from Porsche’s SportDesign Package distinguishes the RS 60 Spyder significantly from the Boxster S. A modified exhaust system made up of a sports exhaust combined with a dual tailpipe increases engine output to 303 bhp. Spacer plates move the 19-inch wheels in Porsche SportDesign into an even more prominent position in the wheel arches. Likewise featured as standard, Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) ensures both sporting and comfortable driving pleasure at all times.

Paintwork in GT silver metallic is further accentuated by its contrast to the natural leather interior in Carrera red and the roof also finished in red. As an alternative there is also the choice of dark grey natural leather in conjunction with a black roof.

The features and equipment of this special model are likewise very special and sophisticated: Door trim strips made of stainless steel proudly bear the “RS 60 Spyder” model designation, an extra-sporting gearshift lever, special surface grooves in the centre sections of the sports seats and the centre door linings as well as on the steering wheel rim and handbrake lever accentuate the sporting and exclusive ambience of the interior.

The design of the instrument clusters finished at the front in GT silver metallic is equally sporting and dynamic. With the binnacle otherwise positioned above the instrument cluster being dropped on this special model, the large central rev counter and the two circular dials at the outside add a unique and purist touch, presenting the exceptional flair of a racing car also in the cockpit.

This special look is further enhanced by other refined features such as the windscreen frame finished in black and red rear light clusters as well as the centre console, the rear sections of the seat backrests and the rollbars all finished in GT silver metallic and thus harmonising perfectly with the seat belts finished in silver.

Reflecting its model designation, the new Boxster RS 60 Spyder is limited to a Special Edition of 1,960 units proudly bearing a silver-coloured placard on the lid of the glove compartment.

Market launch of the new Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder is starting worldwide in March 2008. Including 19 per cent VAT and country-specific requirements, the retail price in Germany is Euro 63,873, the base price Euro 53,500.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
TLingggggggg

Sexy
Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LuxuryCarCanada
Test Drive: 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

review and photos by Russell Purcell
May 20, 2008

Abbotsford, British Columbia - Just when I thought the engineers at Porsche had perfected the Boxster with last year’s revised Boxster ‘S’, they've gone and created a very special limited production unit to commemorate one of the company’s most storied cars, the Porsche 718 RS 60 Spyder. This was a car based on the legendary 550 Spyder, but further refined to tackle the racing discipline of hill climbing. Drivers seeking to make a name for themselves in this category required a car with outstanding manoeuvrability and enough grunt to accelerate out of the hairpin corners that tend to make-up these tests of man and machine. It was also the car that helped the company kick off its long legacy of victories in international road racing, after drivers Hans Herrmann and Olivier Gendebien proved its mettle by taking victory in the 1960 12 Hours of Sebring.

To honour the many accomplishments of the original RS 60, Porsche plans to produce a mere 1,960 units (a number selected to commemorate its forbearer’s initial year of production) of the Boxster RS 60 Spyder. Each car is fitted with an individually numbered dash plaque to remind you that this is a special car.

Buyers have no choice when it comes to colour, as all RS 60 Spyders will be cloaked in “GT Silver Metallic” paint. This stems from the fact that most early competition Porsches were either awash in silver paint, or sported bare metal finishes in an effort to save a few ounces of weight. Cars presented in the latter state still appeared silver, which served the company well, as silver was the colour selected to represent racing cars of German origin by La Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), auto racing’s governing body. Boxster RS 60 Spyders can be fitted with either a black roof complimented by a grey and black interior, or lucky owners can go for big style points and choose the deep red top matched with the classic “Carrera Red” leather interior.

The interior layout is unchanged from that of a Boxster ‘S’, but when you open the door to slip behind the wheel you will catch a glimpse of the stainless steel door entry guard that features the “RS 60 Spyder” graphic. The sport seats, inner door panels, three-spoke steering wheel (similar in design to that used in 911 ‘S’ models), and handbrake lever all feature embossed leather unique to this car that almost looks perforated, but is in fact textured for enhanced grip. Further interior highlights include a red leather wrapped gear selector knob and silver seatbelts. The GT Silver Metallic colour scheme is carried throughout the cockpit, as the centre console, seat backrests and the twin roll hoops are also coated with this historic shade of paint.

Boxster fans will notice that the car’s instrument cluster has a decidedly different look when compared to other models. Porsche designers have removed the dash cap that usually hides the gauges away from view to give the car a more authentic, competition look. The gauges themselves have been set farther apart and feature black markings on attractive silver faces. While I like the look of the naked gauge cluster I did notice a major drawback of this design. The gauges feature wide finishing rings painted with the same high polish silver paint as the car’s body. This leads to a major problem when driving towards the sun. At one point I was ready to break out my camera to capture photographic evidence of extraterrestrial life, as I kept having close encounters with a trio of UFOs that would appear intermittently in the sky above the road ahead. I soon realized that I was merely seeing the sun reflecting off the gauges which projected three orbs of bright light on the windshield at eye level. These hotspots were both distracting and annoying and I must admit I never got used to them. The solution would be as simple as to paint the gauges matte black like the rear portion of their body cups, or to fit a smaller dash cap over the gauge rings.

I was very surprised to find that Porsche designers have fitted the rear deck of this car with the standard “Boxster S” script rather than with “Boxster RS,” or perhaps just “Spyder” nomenclature, so you will have to know what other details to look for to recognize an RS.

On the outside, you can differentiate an RS 60 from a standard Boxster “S” by looking for a handful of subtle styling cues that are unique to this car. If you approach from the rear you will notice that the taillights are completely red, unlike the standard issue ones that feature dual-coloured lens.

As you continue your walk around, the exterior of the car appears unchanged, but my local Porsche PR representative pointed out that the soft-top’s rear window is slightly larger than that of other Boxster models. This is probably a sign of things to come and gives the car’s passenger compartment a less claustrophobic feel than in the past. As a larger individual, I see these as a big improvement.

The Spyder sits on very stylish 19-inch, Porsche SportDesign wheels wrapped in meaty, low profile tires. At first glance these appear to be of even greater diameter as they really fill the car’s wheel wells, especially when compared to the 18-inch wheels fitted to garden variety Boxster “S” models. A more aggressive stance was achieved by utilizing five-mm spacer plates with these wheels, and it seems to have enhanced handling as well. The car still feels light and tossable, but the extra width seems to bring a touch more stability when cornering. Bright red, four-piston, aluminum brake calipers (emblazoned with the Porsche name) and big ventilated discs peek through the fine spokes of the lightweight alloys, hinting at this car’s performance potential.

Finally, at the front of the car you will find that the spoiler now incorporates two small lip extensions, which apart from giving the car some extra flair, also improve aerodynamics. You will also notice that the windshield surround and pillars are black rather than body coloured, which is reminiscent of the look of the original RS 60 Spyder. This simple modification seems to make the windshield look less prominent which in turn, makes the car look lighter.

The beauty of the Porsche Boxster RS 60 Spyder is not only skin deep. The big news is the fact that the horizontally-opposed 3.4-litre flat-six has been massaged to produce 303-horsepower, making it the first Boxster model to break the 300-hp barrier (the Boxster ‘S’ offers 295-hp). Torque on the other hand, remains the same as that of a standard Boxster ‘S’, that being 251 lb-ft @ 6,250 rpm. Eight horsepower doesn’t sound like much, but in a car weighing a mere 1,355 kilograms, the extra grunt means you will sport a bigger grin on your face next time you participate in a track day.

The car can be configured with either a six-speed manual or an optional five-speed Tiptronic “S” automatic, but if you want to really pay homage to its legendary namesake, you need to stick with a manual transmission.

The Boxster RS 60 comes equipped with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) as standard equipment (optional on Boxster ‘S’), ensuring that drivers can enjoy this dynamic drop-top to its fullest (not to mention safest) potential. The result is performance that will enthrall you every time the road gets interesting, especially when you activate the driver controlled ‘Sport’ mode which gives the car razor-sharp handling. And did I mention the exhaust note? Selecting the ‘Sport’ mode also alters the baffles of the dual-pipe exhaust system to give it less-restrictive flow and an exhaust note that will tickle your ears and echo off the trees as you give your new found ponies some exercise.

Is the RS 60 worth the extra money when compared to the already competent Boxster ‘S’ which retails at $70,200? Porsche claims that the long list of standard equipment that comes as part of the RS 60 package more than makes up for the price differential, and I would agree. A car of this calibre with the exclusivity of low production is a bargain at $81,800. With only 800 of the cars earmarked for North America, I imagine most of these are already spoken for.
http://www.luxurycarcanada.ca/featur...0RS60%20Spyder
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.leftlanenews.com/porsche-cayman-2010.html

Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

2010 Porsche Cayman official renderings leaked online ahead of January debut

Thanks, LT...here's the quote from Leftlanenews...

The next-generation Porsche Cayman isn’t slated to make its world debut until January, but official renderings of the new model have been leaked ahead of that unveiling online. As with most Porsche updates, the Cayman’s will be more evolutionary than revolutionary.

As shown by the leaked renderings, the 2010 model will have a new front fascia including new and obviously rounder air-intakes, updated fog lights, a new front bumper, LED daytime driving lamps, and reshaped taillights.

We’ll see a similar update in the rear –- complete with LEDs in the newly shaped tail lamps — similar to those seen on the Boxster.

Both the Cayman and Cayman S will see revisions to their powerplants. The Cayman will see a bump in displacement from 2.7L to 2.9L, resulting in 20 horsepower jump to 265. The Cayman S will now use direct-injection, which will raise power to 320 horsepower — a jump of 25. Of note, the Boxster will see similar changes, although it will be down 10 horsepower in both forms.

Porsche’s new seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission will be available on both S models.

Despite the jump in power, both Cayman models will see an improvement in fuel economy. The base model will see a 2 percent increase, while an S model equipped with the PDK will see an impressive 14 percent improvement.

The 2010 Cayman should hit the market mid-year 2009.
Pics, via the link from LotusTracker...
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM

I like it... I'm surprised they're refreshing it so soon.
It looks like LED DRLs are all the rage now.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Looks hawt!!!1
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Report: Four-Cylinder Porsche Boxster Coming in 2011

From WCF...

The rumor mill has been running rampant with speculation in regards to a new entry-level Porsche, but according to a recent report the entry-level model won't be a step below the Boxster but rather a four-cylinder version of it.

Little is known about the new entry-level Boxster but it is set to become the brand's most economical product offering according to sources familiar with the project. With Porsche quickly gobbling up control of Volkswagen, it would seem a logical choice for the new Boxster to come equipped with a version of Audi's 2.0 liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a power rating above 200 hp. The current base Boxster comes with a 2.7 liter engine which produces 245 hp and 201 lb.-ft. of torque.

Besides the addition of the entry-level model, the source also indicates that the new 2011 Boxster will be significantly lighter than today's model.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Is the purpose of the 4-cyl Boxter to allow for more Hyunday ads where they can claim "faster than a Porsche Boxter"?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
why is 4-cyl Boxter better looking then the regular one?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
^because thats how boxsters will look in 2010
Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
why is 4-cyl Boxter better looking then the regular one?
I was going to ask the same thing. I love the Carrera GT headlights. I hope they revised the back too, it was a little weak IMO.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
F' ALL porsches, the cayman s is the hottest.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
F' ALL porsches, the cayman s is the hottest.
I beg to differ. The Carrera GT is the hottest. Followed by the GT3RS.

I have to admit however, out of all Porsches I've ever driven, even 911s, the Cayman S handles the best.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

^ werd
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a good move on Porsche's part. I wonder how much cheaper, maybe $3K? Is it still going to have a MR layout?

By the way, that's just a rendering, not real photo.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
theres some type of attraction i have towards the cayman that i just dont get with 911s. and i dislike the style of the GT.

the cayman s is a small, great looking coupe. it gives the appearance that it will outperform anything in that size category, which it just may.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2009 Porsche Boxster S

Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

In 1948, the 356 was the first sports car to bear the Porsche name, and in July that year the lightweight mid-engined roadster achieved its first motorsport victory. In 1953, the Porsche 550 Spyder was launched. This agile, lightweight race car was powered by a high performance ‘boxer’ engine which took it to countless international victories.

Through 60 years of automotive evolution so much has changed. Yet every Porsche Boxster is built on these first principles. Sports performance, lightweight construction, agility and pure driving pleasure. The technology Porsche use may have developed, but the company’s ability to produce a two-seat, mid-engined sports car unlike any other on the road remains.

This week, Porsche is presenting the second generation of the mid-engined Boxster roadster at the Los Angeles Motor Show (November 21 – 30). The highlight of the new generation is the new flat-six ‘boxer’ engines, developed with new technical features from the ground up, providing not only more power, but also significantly greater fuel efficiency.

A further improvement of both fuel economy and performance is guaranteed by the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), the new double-clutch gearbox now available as an option on both the Boxster and Boxster S.

Newly-developed ‘boxer’ engines deliver more power on less fuel

Displacing 2.9-litres, the engine of the Boxster develops 255 bhp (188 kW) in the Boxster, an increase of 10 horsepower over the prior 2.7-litre model.

The 3.4-litre power unit in the Boxster S now features Direct Fuel Injection, and delivers 310 bhp (228 kW), up by 15 bhp.

An impressive power-to-weight ratio imbues the two Boxster models with optimum driving dynamics. For example, with the new six speed manual transmission fitted as standard, the Boxster accelerates from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.9 seconds. And the Boxster S, when fitted with PDK transmission and Launch Control (featured in the optional Sports Chrono Package Plus), accelerates from 0-62mph (100km/h) in 5.0 seconds.

When combined with PDK, the new 2.9-litre engine fitted to the Boxster clearly breaks through the 30.0mpg fuel consumption boundary. Indeed, the figure of 31.0mpg (9.1 litres/100km) is approximately 10 per cent better than the previous model with the Tiptronic S automatic transmission. Increasing fuel economy by an even more significant 15 per cent to 30.1mpg (9.4 litres/100km), the 3.4-litre Boxster S with PDK offers an even greater saving over its predecessor with Tiptronic S.

In parallel with the improvement in fuel economy, so emissions of the engines have decreased also. Depending on model, emissions have been reduced by up to 16 per cent. The Boxster with the standard six-speed manual gearbox emits 221g/km CO2, and 214g/km CO2 when fitted with PDK. The Boxster S manual emits 223 g/km CO2, and 221 g/km CO2 with PDK.

Significantly, these developments move every Boxster model – whether manual or PDK – into Band F for Vehicle Excise Duty and company car taxation purposes.

Direct Fuel Injection standard on 3.4-litre S engine

The driver benefits from a further advantage of direct injection every time they touch the throttle pedal: with fuel being injected fractions of a second prior to combustion, the engines respond more directly and spontaneously to even the slightest movement of the driver’s right foot. This is not only the case when accelerating, but also when lifting off the throttle, for engine speed drops more quickly and smoothly since there is no residual fuel left in the intake manifold which might otherwise prolong the combustion process.

Depending on engine load and speed, fuel is injected into the combustion chamber at a pressure of 120 bar. The big advantage is that unlike conventional intake manifold injection, direct fuel injection serves to form the fuel/air mixture directly in the combustion chamber. This better mixes the air and fuel in the cylinder, establishing an important prerequisite for clean and complete combustion. This ensures the ‘homogeneous’ operation of the power unit with a consistent balance of the fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber at all times and under all running conditions. Such smooth operation guarantees optimum combustion and maintains low emissions, across a range of fuel qualities.

Design emphasises performance

The seamless blend of function and design has always been the Porsche philosophy. The result is a design consistency which is recognisable from every angle. A design which is both powerful and refined, and whose lines emphasise its sports performance.

The evolutionary styling of the next generation Boxster embodies these principles. The latest models are clearly distinguishable from outside through their newly-designed nose and tail. The new halogen headlights with their integrated direction indicators are reminiscent of the lights on the Carrera GT, while at the rear, new LED lights taper to the outside and are integrated elegantly in to the restyled bodywork.

The rod-shaped side lights in LED light conductor technology add distinction to the car’s looks, which are further enhanced through their horizontal arrangement in the outer air intakes. Yet a further highlight is provided by the rectangular fog lamps featured as standard.

For the first time, the Boxster is available with a Lights Package featuring bi-xenon headlights, dynamic cornering lights and LED day-time driving lights. Replacing the fog lamps, these light units are made up of four LEDs positioned next to one another.

PDK: shifting gears more quickly, reducing fuel consumption

The new Boxster models are available with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) carried over directly from motor sport, and replacing the former Tiptronic S torque converter automatic transmission. When equipped with PDK, the Boxster accelerates from 0-62mph (100 km/h) 0.1 seconds faster than with the manual six-speed gearbox.

Acceleration is particularly fast and dynamic with the optional Sports Chrono Package Plus featuring Launch Control; this offers maximum acceleration from a standing start and also a Race Track Gearshift Strategy for the fastest conceivable gear change as an exclusive highlight on the PDK models.

Benefiting from Launch Control, the respective models accelerate from a standstill to 62 mph (100km/h) a further 0.2 seconds faster.

Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) – in detail

The next generation Boxster and Boxster S are available for the first time with the new Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), literally Porsche double-clutch gearbox. Offering no less than seven forward gears, the new gearbox combines the driving comfort of a torque converter-equipped automatic transmission with the dynamic manual gearshift functionality of a sequential racing gearbox. PDK also boasts an entirely automatic gearshift function, and replaces the Porsche Tiptronic S automatic transmission previously offered. Through its optimised and adaptive gearshift programmes, PDK further improves the acceleration of the Boxster models and reduces fuel consumption to an even lower level.

In principle, the PDK consists of a conventional manual gearbox and a hydraulic control system divided into two separate transmission units. Two wet clutches in radial arrangement, controlled hydraulically, and using oil for both cooling and lubrication, form the heart of the transmission. One clutch is for the first transmission unit with the uneven gear ratios (1,3,5,7) and reverse, and the other clutch is for the second transmission unit with the even gears (2,4,6). Via a number of pressure valves, the hydraulic control unit masterminds both the wet clutches and the shift cylinders activating the transmission ratio required.

The gearshift perceived by the driver comes not from the gears actually changing, but from the change of positive clutch engagement. In this case, the clutch on one transmission opens or disengages while the clutch on the other transmission closes or engages in a simultaneous process. The big advantage is an even faster gearshift than with a conventional manual gearbox or torque converter automatic transmission. The gears are already ‘in mesh’ when shifting and the power of the engine need not be interrupted in the process.

PDK also reduces to a minimum transmission power loss courtesy of the high standard of mechanical efficiency in the double-clutch, and this manifests itself in fuel economy improvements of approximately 13 per cent compared with a conventional Tiptronic S transmission. PDK also offers an advantage in terms of weight – despite two additional gears, it weighs 10kg less than Tiptronic S.

To use the various functions of the double-clutch transmission, the driver can either shift gears by means of sliding toggles on the spokes of the new steering wheel, or via the new gear selector lever. The driver can press forwards to shift the gears up, and press them from behind to shift downwards. Alternatively, pushing the gear selector lever forwards shifts up a gear, and pulling it back shifts down. The option of PDK costs £1,961.

This PDK gearshift principle was first developed by Porsche for motor sport 25 years ago. Porsche works drivers benefiting from this technology were able to accelerate faster than their competitors and keep both hands on the steering wheel while changing gears, thus avoiding even the slightest distraction while shifting.

The seven-speed PDK shifts gears up to 60 per cent faster than a conventional automatic transmission, and naturally, gives the new Boxster models even better performance. And those in search of optimum driving dynamics have the option to combine PDK with Sport Chrono Package Plus, now featuring Launch Control.

Dynamic suspension and supreme brakes – a new option of limited-slip differential

The suspension with its new set-up gives the next generation Boxster models a combination of even greater driving dynamics and enhanced comfort all in one. Modification of the valve control map on the steering gear serves furthermore to reduce steering forces, giving the Boxster more agile and spontaneous steering behaviour.

The wheels come in new designs and are half an inch wider on the Boxster 2.9-litre model than in the past in order to accommodate the larger brake system of the S-models, which are now fitted on the front axle. The Boxster and Boxster S feature the latest generation Porsche Stability Management (PSM) now offering two new functions: Brake Pre-Loading and the Brake Assistant. Whenever the driver lifts off the throttle pedal very quickly – which is typical immediately prior to an emergency braking manoeuvre – the PSM hydraulic control unit builds up an appropriate level of pressure in the brakes before the driver even presses the pedal down, which has the effect of moving the brake pads slightly towards the discs for immediate action. This significantly improves brake response and shortens stopping distances accordingly.

When recognising that the driver is braking in an emergency due to very fast operation of the brake pedal and a defined brake force, the PSM hydraulic control unit actively delivers the brake pressure required for maximum stopping power.

In conjunction with 18- and 19-inch wheels, the new models in the Boxster range are also available with a limited-slip differential on the rear axle. Locking action is 22 per cent under power and 27 per cent in overrun. The result is a significant improvement of both traction and stability providing a substantially higher level of performance on winding roads, particularly on the race track. Yet a further advantage is the more stable load change behaviour. At the same time, the mechanical limited-slip differential, through its particular function, interacts perfectly with the electronic ABD Automatic Brake Differential for optimum traction control, the locking action delaying the tendency of one wheel to spin on a road surface slippery only on one side.

New audio and communication systems

The next generation Boxster features as standard the new CDR-30 CD radio. The new Porsche Communication Management (PCM) 3.0 complete with hard disc navigation serves is available as an option, and when specified adopts the role as the central control unit for all audio, communication and navigation features.

PCM 3.0 is now more versatile, efficient and easier to use than before, standing out in particular through its touch-screen control which enables the driver to select specific functions simply by pressing the appropriate key on the larger 6.5-inch monitor. PCM 3.0 is available with highly convenient voice control and, in conjunction with the optional, universal audio interface, can now be used also to control external audio sources such as an iPod®. USB stick or Bluetooth.

Enthusiasts of all-weather, open-topped motoring will also appreciate the option of seat ventilation combined with seat heating.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2009 Porsche Cayman S

Hubba-hubba...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Porsche is presenting the second generation of the mid-engined Cayman sports coupe at the Los Angeles Motor Show (November 21 – 30) this week. The highlight is the new, flat-six ‘boxer’ engines, developed to incorporate new technical features from the ground up, providing not only more power, but also significantly greater fuel efficiency.

A further improvement of both fuel economy and performance is guaranteed by the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), the new double-clutch gearbox now available as an option on both the Cayman and Cayman S.

Newly-developed’ boxer’ engines deliver more power on less fuel

The Cayman now has an engine displacing 2.9-litres, which develops 265 bhp (195 kW), an increase by 20 horsepower over the prior 2.7-litre model.

The 3.4-litre power unit in the Cayman S now features Direct Fuel Injection, and delivers 320 bhp (235 kW), up by 25 bhp.

These developments see the engines fitted to the Cayman and Cayman S coupes offering more horsepower than those in the Boxster roadster. This move emphasises the sports driving orientation of the Cayman and further differentiates the coupe.

An outstanding power-to-weight ratio of 4.2kg/bhp on the Cayman S in particular ensures optimum driving dynamics. For example, the Cayman S with PDK and Launch Control (featured in the optional Sports Chrono Package Plus) accelerates from 0-62mph (0-100 km/h) in 4.9 seconds, setting the benchmark in the range.

When combined with the PDK transmission, the new 2.9-litre engine of the Cayman clearly breaks through the 30.0mpg fuel consumption boundary. Indeed, the figure of 31.0mpg (9.1 litres/100km) is approximately 10 per cent better than the previous model with the Tiptronic S automatic transmission. Increasing fuel economy by an even more significant 15 per cent to 30.1mpg (9.4 litres/100km), the 3.4-litre Cayman S with PDK offers an even greater saving over its predecessor with Tiptronic S.

In parallel with the improvement in fuel economy, so emissions of the engines have decreased also. Depending on model, emissions have been reduced by up to 16 per cent. The Cayman with the standard six-speed manual gearbox emits 221g/km CO2, and 214g/km CO2 when fitted with PDK. The Cayman S manual emits 223g/km CO2, and 221g/km CO2 with PDK.

Significantly, these developments move every Cayman model – whether manual or PDK – into Band F for Vehicle Excise Duty and company car taxation purposes.

Direct Fuel Injection standard on 3.4-litre S engine

The driver benefits from a further advantage of direct injection every time they touch the throttle pedal: with fuel being injected fractions of a second prior to combustion, the engine responds more directly and spontaneously to even the slightest movement of the driver’s right foot. This is not only the case when accelerating, but also when lifting off the throttle, for engine speed drops more quickly and smoothly since there is no residual fuel left in the intake manifold which might otherwise prolong the combustion process.

Depending on engine load and speed, fuel is injected into the combustion chamber at a pressure of 120 bar. The big advantage is that unlike conventional intake manifold injection, direct fuel injection serves to form the fuel/air mixture directly in the combustion chamber. This better mixes the air and fuel in the cylinder, establishing an important prerequisite for clean and complete combustion. This ensures the ‘homogeneous’ operation of the power unit with a consistent balance of the fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber at all times and under all running conditions. Such smooth operation guarantees optimum combustion and maintains low emissions, across a range of fuel qualities.

A coupé of distinction

While instantly recognisable as a Porsche sports car, the Cayman is individual in its design. Originally launched in 2005, the characteristic silhouette of the Cayman has remained fresh and contemporary. Its distinctive coupé lines are combined with a long wheelbase and a rear aspect that slopes gently downwards. From the rear, the Cayman is defined by a large, opening rear lid, powerfully sweeping wheel arches and an automatically extending spoiler.

The rear lid opens upwards to provide access to the 260 litre luggage compartment. This, in conjunction with the 150 litre capacity luggage compartment in the nose, plus numerous additional storage compartments, ensures that this two-seater sports car combines real functionality with elegant aesthetic form.

As is Porsche tradition, the styling of the next generation two-seater Coupe has evolved subtly. However, it is clearly distinguishable from outside through its newly-designed nose and tail. The new halogen headlights with their integrated direction indicators are reminiscent of the lights on the Carrera GT, and the new LED rear lights tapering to the outside are integrated elegantly in the remodelled bodywork.

The rod-shaped side lights in LED light conductor technology add distinction to the car’s looks, which are further enhanced through their horizontal arrangement in the outer air intakes. Yet a further highlight is provided by the round fog lamps featured as standard.

For the first time the Cayman is available with a Lights Package featuring bi-xenon headlights, dynamic cornering lights and LED day-time driving lights. Replacing the fog lamps, these light units are made up of four LEDs arranged in round light units like the eyes on dice.

PDK: quickly shifting gears, reducing fuel consumption

The Cayman is available with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) carried over directly from motor sport, and replacing the former Tiptronic S torque converter automatic transmission. When equipped with PDK, the Cayman accelerates from 0-62 mph (100km/h) 0.1 seconds faster than with the manual six-speed gearbox.

Acceleration is particularly fast and dynamic with the optional Sports Chrono Package Plus featuring Launch Control; this offers maximum acceleration from a standing start and also a Race Track Gearshift Strategy for the fastest conceivable gear change as an exclusive highlight on the PDK models.

Benefiting from Launch Control, the respective models accelerate from a standstill to 62 mph (100 km/h) yet another 2/10ths of a second faster.

Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) – in detail

The next generation Cayman and Cayman S are available for the first time with the new Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), literally Porsche double-clutch gearbox. Offering no less than seven forward gears, the new gearbox combines the driving comfort of a torque converter-equipped automatic transmission with the dynamic manual gearshift functionality of a sequential racing gearbox. PDK also boasts an entirely automatic gearshift function, and replaces the Porsche Tiptronic S automatic transmission previously offered. Through its optimised and adaptive gearshift programmes, PDK further improves the acceleration of the Cayman models and reduces fuel consumption to an even lower level.

In principle, the PDK consists of a conventional manual gearbox and a hydraulic control system divided into two separate transmission units. Two wet clutches in radial arrangement, controlled hydraulically, and using oil for both cooling and lubrication, form the heart of the transmission. One clutch is for the first transmission unit with the uneven gear ratios (1,3,5,7) and reverse, and the other clutch is for the second transmission unit with the even gears (2,4,6). Via a number of pressure valves, the hydraulic control unit masterminds both the wet clutches and the shift cylinders activating the transmission ratio required.

The gearshift perceived by the driver comes not from the gears actually changing, but from the change of positive clutch engagement. In this case, the clutch on one transmission opens or disengages while the clutch on the other transmission closes or engages in a simultaneous process. The big advantage is an even faster gearshift than with a conventional manual gearbox or torque converter automatic transmission. The gears are already ‘in mesh’ when shifting and the power of the engine need not be interrupted in the process.

PDK also reduces to a minimum transmission power loss courtesy of the high standard of mechanical efficiency in the double-clutch, and this manifests itself in fuel economy improvements of approximately 13 per cent compared with a conventional Tiptronic S transmission. PDK also offers an advantage in terms of weight – despite two additional gears, it weighs 10kg less than Tiptronic S.

To use the various functions of the double-clutch transmission, the driver can either shift gears by means of sliding buttons on the spokes of the new steering wheel, or via the new gear selector lever. The driver can press forwards to shift the gears up, and press them from behind to shift downwards. Alternatively, pushing the gear selector lever forwards shifts up a gear, and pulling it back shifts down. The option of PDK costs £1,961.

This PDK gearshift principle was first developed by Porsche for motor sport 25 years ago. Porsche works drivers benefiting from this technology were able to accelerate faster than their competitors and keep both hands on the steering wheel while changing gears, thus avoiding even the slightest distraction while shifting.

The seven-speed PDK shifts gears up to 60 per cent faster than a conventional automatic transmission, and naturally, gives the new Cayman models even better performance. And those in search of optimum driving dynamics have the option to combine PDK with Sport Chrono Package Plus, now featuring Launch Control.

Dynamic suspension and supreme brakes – new option of limited-slip differential

The suspension with its new set-up gives the new Cayman models a combination of even greater driving dynamics and enhanced comfort all in one. Modification of the valve control map on the steering gear serves furthermore to reduce steering forces, giving the Cayman more agile and spontaneous steering behaviour.

The wheels come in new designs and are half an inch wider than previously on the Cayman 2.9-litre model in order to accommodate the larger brake system of the S-models which are now fitted on the front axle. The Cayman and Cayman S feature the latest generation Porsche Stability Management (PSM) which now offers two new functions: Brake Pre-Loading and the Brake Assistant. Whenever the driver lifts off the throttle pedal very quickly – which is typical immediately prior to an emergency braking manoeuvre – the PSM hydraulic control unit builds up an appropriate level of pressure in the brakes before the driver even presses the brake pedal down, which has the effect of moving the brake pads slightly towards the discs, and ready for immediate action. This significantly improves brake response and shortens stopping distances accordingly.

When recognising that the driver is braking in an emergency due to the very fast operation of the brake pedal and a defined brake force, the PSM hydraulic control unit actively delivers the brake pressure required for maximum stopping power.

In conjunction with 18- and 19-inch wheels, the new models in the Cayman range are also available with a limited-slip differential on the rear axle. Locking action is 22 per cent under power and 27 per cent in overrun. This significantly improves both traction and stability, providing a substantially higher level of performance on winding roads, particularly on the race track. A further advantage is the more stable load change behaviour. At the same time, the mechanical differential, through its particular function, interacts perfectly with the electronic Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) for optimum traction control, the locking action delaying the tendency of one wheel to spin on a road surface slippery only on one side.

New audio and communication systems

The next generation Cayman features as standard the new CDR-30 CD radio. The new Porsche Communication Management (PCM) 3.0 complete with hard disc navigation is available as an option and when specified serves as the central control unit for all audio, communication and navigation features.

PCM 3.0 is more versatile, efficient and easier to use than before, standing out in particular through its touch-screen which enables the driver to select specific functions simply by pressing the appropriate key on the larger 6.5-inch monitor. PCM 3.0 is available with highly convenient voice control and, in conjunction with the optional, universal audio interface, can now be used also to control external audio sources such as an iPod®, USB stick, or Bluetooth.

Seat ventilation combined with seat heating is also available as an option.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Looks great! LED tails look pretty good, I'd like to see what they do to the Cayman as well...
Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 AM

oof... it keeps getting better - this is a great refresh of the design inside and out!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if porsche would only put a small turbo in that thing from the factory ...
Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 AM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Hubba-hubba...
Indeed.

I just wonder why they put DI only on the S and not the base.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I dig it
Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Very hot
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I don't know about the shape of the taillights, but I love the rest.

Quick Reply: Porsche: 718 Boxster/Cayman News