Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pontiac pulls out of NASCAR

Pontiac pulls out of NASCAR

Withdrawal leaves Chevrolet as the only GM brand on the popular racing circuit

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Long promoted as General Motors Corp.'s performance division, Pontiac is pulling out of stock car racing, leaving Chevrolet as the only GM brand on the popular NASCAR racing circuit that boasts more than 75 million fans.

Pontiac's withdrawal ends a 50-year association with NASCAR and comes as the division looks to reclaim its "excitement" image through a host of new products, including the revival of the GTO muscle car, the Grand Am replacement known as the G6, and a series of performance models that will carry the GXP badge.

"We'll be looking for racing venues that are more consistent with those products," Pontiac-GMC marketing director Bob Kraut said.

It's a sound strategy for Pontiac, said Jim Wangers, a consultant with AMCI, a marketing firm, and a former GM marketing whiz.

"This NASCAR exposure would have been good, but on the other hand the way they participated this year with second-line teams is a negative," Wangers said. "Just to participate to be a loser is silly."

NASCAR also is not a cost-effective showcase for Pontiac because it promotes drivers and sponsors more than vehicle manufacturers, said Sam Scott of Sports Management Network, a sports marketing firm in Bloomfield Hills.

All U.S. automakers are trying to cut costs to protect or restore profits as they continue to fund expensive incentives that are sustaining U.S. car and truck sales.

"Clearly there are more opportunities to reach more of an audience and (a) more upscale audience," Scott said. "With new cars coming out that lend themselves to other types of racing, Pontiac can better demonstrate those models."

Pontiac-GMC general manager Lynn Myers said in a statement that Pontiac enjoyed "great accomplishments" during its long history with NASCAR.

"The decision to withdraw from NASCAR was not an easy one," she said.

Once a NASCAR powerhouse, winning two of the last three Winston Cup titles, Pontiac fell on hard times this season with just one victory.

While Chevrolet boasts a stable of stellar drivers such as Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kevin Harvick, Pontiac's roster includes somewhat lesser lights John Andretti, Johnny Benson, Ricky Craven and Jerry Nadeau. Pontiac sits in fourth place in the NASCAR standings with 113 points, behind first place Chevrolet, with 240 points.

Chevrolet has won 23 of the last 31 NASCAR Winston Cup manufacturers' championships. The brand also has won 10 of 13 NASCAR Busch Series manufacturers' titles and five of the last nine Craftsman Truck series championships.

As Pontiac looks for more appropriate racing venues, leaving NASCAR could provide an opening for foreign automakers to grab some of the racing circuit's spotlight, Wangers said.

"This will pave the way for an even quicker entry into stock car racing for imports," Wangers said, "specifically Toyota, which is becoming involved in the truck series as early as next year with the Tundra, as well as some of the other imports."

You can reach Ed Garsten at (313) 223-3217 or egarsten@detnews.com
Old 10-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh that's very exciting. Lutz and GM are serious about fixing Pontiac. Good for them. Excellent first step. No NASCAR association totally makes sense for what they are preparing.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:08 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I think it's about time they did this actually. I was certainly not impressed by the fact they "ran" Grand Prix models in NASCAR when they cars aren't even remotely related to them in any way but general outline.

If Pontiac wants us to be serious, they need to go into things like ALMS where successful technology innovation and engine building can at least prove to me that they are serious about building the best cars they can build.

Right now, though I have had no complaints with my GP, I believe they take the easy way out.

Actually, it's too bad there isn't a series here for sedans and coupes as popular as the touring car championships in the UK and Europe. I think that would be the venue to get involved in to directly market specific vehicles based upon racing performance. The ALMS would be more like a rising tide lifts all boats scenario where Pontiac's racing success in that series would increase respect for the marque and therefore the vehicles.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
NASCAR sux who cares!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
NASCAR sux who cares!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally posted by charliemike
You can roll your eyes all you want. That won't change the fact that NASCAR isn't real racing.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't like it either. But I wouldn't be so bold to say "it's not real racing". Nascar is definetly real racing.

Please define what real racing is?

I would say it's popular racing that you don't like.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Originally posted by SiGGy
I don't like it either. But I wouldn't be so bold to say "it's not real racing". Nascar is definetly real racing.

Please define what real racing is?

I would say it's popular racing that you don't like.
I wouldn't call going round and round an oval for 500 miles real racing. REAL RACING requires drivers with quick reflexes that can handle hairpin turns and that can brake on a dime. There is little or no skill involved in NASCAR. The popularity of it I'll never understand, when there are so many better forms of REAL RACING out there....like F1 or CART just to name a few. NASCAR is single handily killing REAL RACING in this country.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
I wouldn't call going round and round an oval for 500 miles real racing. REAL RACING requires drivers with quick reflexes that can handle hairpin turns and that can brake on a dime. There is little or no skill involved in NASCAR. The popularity of it I'll never understand, when there are so many better forms of REAL RACING out there....like F1 or CART just to name a few. NASCAR is single handily killing REAL RACING in this country.

Since most folks on average change careers 7 times in a lifetime.
Give it a try... since it's so easy. And it pays very well...

I'm not going to bother arguing the fact it is racing. Because it is.

Your basically saying you prefer car racing which requires a different skill level.

The same argument Rugby players make about American football. Does this make American football suck?

no, but it seperates the crowd.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Nascar racing is "real racing" as you like to put it. It's a different type of racing, but requires skills nonetheless. I'm not a fan of Nascar, but going 200mph around a track with only inches between cars takes skill.

Recently I read that Jeff Gordon traded cars with a F1 driver. In the F1 car, Jeff pulled times at a track very very close to the F1 drivers best at that track.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
When the guys from Top Gear came over here to check out NASCAR they made similar statements. Then they drove they went out on the track. They fell in love and apreciated NASCAR. I am not a fan at all, but it is definately racing. It requires a shitload of skill. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Racer

I tell you whut, when that 3 car hit tha wall, I knew that was it

Old 10-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Racer

But, who cares what I think. NASCAR is by far the most popular spectator event in the US today.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gavriil
Oh that's very exciting. Lutz and GM are serious about fixing Pontiac. Good for them. Excellent first step. No NASCAR association totally makes sense for what they are preparing.

This will be great for the introduction of the GTO!

BTW: I wonder if the CL-S would have done better in the marketplace if Acura had become the first "import" car maker to compete in NASCAR. Think about it. The CL-S is a large, powerful 2 door coupe that's built in Ohio. NASCAR may not seem to fit in with the Acura image but I wonder if it may have enhanced the model recognition. Acura barely spent a dime touting the brand and performance oriented sport coupes have almost disappeared from the automotive lexicon.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by proactive
I tell you whut, when that 3 car hit tha wall, I knew that was it

:rotf: