Pontiac G6 News **GXP Specs (page 9)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
they need to worry about beefing up the motor and tranny before they go changing the exterior again. gm is also 3 years behind all the competitors and i think it hurts some of their sales.

not to mention, no 2 dr anymore.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by UNCTYPE-S
they need to worry about beefing up the motor and tranny before they go changing the exterior again. gm is also 3 years behind all the competitors and i think it hurts some of their sales.

What is wrong with the new motors mentioned above? How are they 3 years behind with the competition in this segment? Can you bring any specific examples?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:10 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
horrible interior
Old 01-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Above n Beyond

IN the Winnipeg Free Press they say the 3.9 v6 will be a 240 hp 245 torgue item with 3 cyl being turned off 50% of the time, and getting about 2 mpg better for that. Looks like GM will almost catch up to Honda Accord ( 5 spd A.T.) in 05, and then Honda will no doubt come out with more power again. Whay does Detroit have to stay 3 years behind???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate to do so....but I agree. American cars are always a few years behind in technology and performance.

And you know that Pontiac likes to keep the GP ahead of the GA and the Bonneville ahead of both so you know the G6 will not be very fast. high 14's stock instead of our current high 15's will not retain me as a Pontiac customer........ It's a bummer too cuz I love the Pontiac brand.

Rant: GM's performance brand is Pontiac but Pontiac only has one sub 14 sec car (GTO)...........and its barely sub 14's....WHERE IS THE DRIVING EXCITMENT???
Why can't GM see that most younger people want a small car with power? That is why Subaru and Mitsu are doing so well.....I want the power of a GTP in the size of a GA........GM doesn't make it- so I have to visit the Subaru store......Sorry GM

But who knows....
Maybe this G6 GTP will be something to talk about......but by the time it comes out late 05 performance inclined car's its size will ALL have 245 horses......and once again GM's "cutting edge" is 3 years behind. Heck lots of mid-sized cars already DO have 245.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is what i mean. these are quoted by 3 grand am members and i have to totally agree with them.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fall 04 it comes as a 05. 245/245 with a 6-speed is a really nice power for this segment, plus the weight hasn't been released yet so it could be fairly quick, i would imagine around mid 14's. there really aren't all lot of cars with that much(1), the altima will probably be the only one with more power in 05(rumored ser). the accord has 240/212 and i think its very unlikely they will up the power anytime soon. overall it looks like a nice car especially for a pontiac.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Above n Beyond

the g6 will only run high 14's and that is not very convincing to alot of pontiac members today.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

high 14's according to who? the pontiac forums? i wouldn't put much faith in their pessimism. its laughable they're complaining that the g6 will have 245hp/6-speed when the current grand am only has 175hp v6 available only with an auto. :ponitac fan: no way i'm going to buy a g6, they only increased 70hp over the current model :pontiac fan:
Old 01-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
What the hell ... I wonder if the GA we see here is what the G6 looks like after it meets crash standards or did GM puss out (again)?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

IN the Winnipeg Free Press they say the 3.9 v6 will be a 240 hp 245 torgue item with 3 cyl being turned off 50% of the time, and getting about 2 mpg better for that. Looks like GM will almost catch up to Honda Accord ( 5 spd A.T.) in 05, and then Honda will no doubt come out with more power again. Whay does Detroit have to stay 3 years behind???
I hate to do so....but I agree. American cars are always a few years behind in technology and performance.

And you know that Pontiac likes to keep the GP ahead of the GA and the Bonneville ahead of both so you know the G6 will not be very fast. high 14's stock instead of our current high 15's will not retain me as a Pontiac customer........ It's a bummer too cuz I love the Pontiac brand.

Rant: GM's performance brand is Pontiac but Pontiac only has one sub 14 sec car (GTO)...........and its barely sub 14's....WHERE IS THE DRIVING EXCITMENT???
Why can't GM see that most younger people want a small car with power? That is why Subaru and Mitsu are doing so well.....I want the power of a GTP in the size of a GA........GM doesn't make it- so I have to visit the Subaru store......Sorry GM

But who knows....
Maybe this G6 GTP will be something to talk about......but by the time it comes out late 05 performance inclined car's its size will ALL have 245 horses......and once again GM's "cutting edge" is 3 years behind. Heck lots of mid-sized cars already DO have 245.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is what i mean. these are quoted by 3 grand am members and i have to totally agree with them.

You are making a number of points here but I will address the "why GM has to be 3 years behind in engine power, etc" point.

So 240/245 and DOD is 3 yearh behind? If the Accord makes 240 and the Camry makes less and the Taurus makes less and only the Altima makes 5HP more, how is that 3 years behind?

Also, who has DOD of the above? None. So who is behind?

ALso, when the numbers come out, I bet you the G6 will be consuming the least gas. Even if DOD was not implemented.

Finally, you guys keep ignoring how important torque is. It's not all about peak HP. In this segment, low and mid range torque is very important.

Granded the Grand Am did not excite, though give this new G6 car a chance.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You guys talk about performance and the WRX. Isnt it obvious that the reason GM is putting a 2 liter turbocharged engine in the G6 is because it's targeting that exact market? I am sure there will be tons of tuning potential and I am sure GM will release a lot more tuner parts than any other manufacturer. Be a little patient.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Instructor

But who knows....

uhhhhh.... '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP produced 240HP and 280 torque. Where were Honda and Toyota back in '98? I will tell you where - below the 200HP mark.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by ruski
uhhhhh.... '98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP produced 240HP and 280 torque. Where were Honda and Toyota back in '98? I will tell you where - below the 200HP mark.
That's right.

And if you look at the torque numbers only, then the Japanese are 5 years behind Pontiac. Let's be realistic here.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Above n Beyond

ruski and gavril, were talking about the grand am being replaced by the g6. not the grand prix.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

245/245 or so with a 6-speed is a quantum leap ahead in performance for this car. It wasn't built to be the next Trans Am. Mid-high 14's performance for a car of this caliber is excellent.

These new engines dervied from the old 3.8L are very good engines. Look at their increadible gas mileage. The new 3.5L in the Malibu gets 32-33mpg on the highway (23-24 mpg in the city). It has the exact same figures as my 4-cylinder Accord, yet produces 200hp/225 torque vs my 160/160 in the Accord. With DOD the 3.9 should also be very very good. These are class leading #'s from an engine of such displacements, and they produce excellent torque which is awesome. From driving my Z, I absoutely love the feeling of a engine with a good amount of Torque.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Above n Beyond

it just seems the import world is always 1 step ahead of domestics. the grand am started its current model in 99 and the loaded ga came with 175hp stock, as oppose to the accord or cl in 99, not to mention alot other cars who were topping out at 200 hp, maybe more. now that the g6 will be offering 245hp, the accord, maxima, altima, etc will be getting stronger over the next few years while the g6 will stay where its at for a few years.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

245/245 is nothing to scoff at. FWD cars can't get much more powerful unless you want dangerous torque steer. I think we are at about the limit of HP/Torque for these cars. I doubt the Accord/Camry/Taurus Replacement, etc will go much above 245... And if it's HP, they won't have more torque than the G6. And again, look at the fuel economy #'s. That amazing for engines that produce such HP and Torque
Old 01-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Pontiac G6

Old 01-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Pontiac G6

Old 01-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the exterior looks pretty nice, but I'm not crazy about the interior at all. Seems to still have the "old school" GM styling. I guess the new interior designs didn't hit this model
Old 01-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the exterior looks pretty nice, but I'm not crazy about the interior at all. Seems to still have the "old school" GM styling. I guess the new interior designs didn't hit this model
Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nice and clean. Nice Pontiac. Now get the steering out and put the one from the Solstice or the Curve in.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nice and clean. Nice Pontiac. Now get the steering out and put the one from the Solstice or the Curve in.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Official pics here:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=126171
Old 01-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Drifting

this car is going to be a winner for sure looks really nice...
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY GENERAL MOTORS

PONTIAC G6 SPORTS SEDAN DELIVERS TOTAL PERFORMANCE, STYLE AND REFINEMENT

DETROIT - No limitations, no compromises and no excuses. No kidding.

Pontiac revealed its all-new G6 sports sedan at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It goes on sale in Fall 2004. Additional models, including a 2+2 sports coupe and a convertible, will follow the sedan’s rollout.
When it came to developing the 2005 G6, Pontiac set out to challenge the look and feel of sporty midsize cars - and “compromise” wasn’t in the lexicon of change. This all-new sports sedan reinvigorates the midsize segment with contemporary design, total performance and exceptional attention to detail.

“The G6 is a game-changing car,” said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. “All the elements came together in a way that emphasizes Pontiac’s fresh design direction and renewed performance spirit – and demonstrates GM’s commitment to leadership in the passenger car market.”

With its contemporary, sensuous styling and athletic proportions, the G6 is a tightly wrapped package of total performance, engaging driver’s environment and outstanding quality and safety. Highlights include:

· All-new family of performance oriented powertrains, including a 170-horsepower HO 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, 200-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 and 240-horsepower HO 3.9-liter V-6

· Sophisticated, electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode standard on GT model

· European-designed high performance six-speed manual transmission available with the 3.9-liter V-6

· Class-leading 112.3-inch wheelbase, enabling fresh, contemporary styling, exceptional ride and handling, and the rear-seat legroom of a larger car

· Four-wheel sport-tuned independent suspension, with MacPherson strut front suspension, four-link independent rear suspension, variable-assist electric power steering, full function traction control, and a range of 16-, 17-, and 18-inch performance wheels and tires

· GM’s global Epsilon architecture with cross-car magnesium beam results in 27.3 Hz bending frequency which provides rigidity and body stiffness for quiet, solid and more responsive ride and handling characteristics

· Engaging, driver-oriented interior with sporty, refined controls and instrument layout; tilt and telescoping steering col; available adjustable pedals; highly bolstered, body-hugging seats; automatic climate control; racing-style gauges with true-red LED instrument backlighting; and premium sound system with in-dash 6-CD changer

· Market-exclusive Panoramic roof, which features four sliding glass panels to create a convertible-style open-air driving experience

· Contemporary, sensuous design with upscale refinement and attention to detail

· Outstanding quality, reliability and safety, including standard dual-stage air bags, and available side- and head curtain air bags

· Available remote start.

“The G6’s responsive performance and high level of refinement are impressive and typically found in more expensive sports sedans,” said Myers.

Solid foundation

Built on GM’s rigid, European-designed Epsilon architecture, the G6 delivers responsive ride and handling qualities thanks, in part, to its class-leading 112.3-inch wheelbase. Stretching more than five inches longer than key midsize competitors, the G6’s wheelbase pushes the wheels to the corners of the body, enabling razor-sharp handling with minimal body roll.

The G6’s long wheelbase is comparable to full-size sedans, giving rear-seat passengers class-leading legroom. On the outside, the aggressive proportions culminate in a taut, contemporary design.

“The benefit of the all-new architecture allowed a clean-sheet approach, enabling us to design a great looking, great driving car with outstanding performance, comfort and utility,” said Gene Stefanyshyn, GM vehicle line executive, midsize cars.

The G6’s unique proportions allowed many unexpected details, including rear passenger door glass that rolls down all the way and the available Panoramic sliding roof – a four-panel, electronically operated glass roof. Three of the four panels slide rearward, creating a sunroof large enough for even the rear-seat passengers to enjoy an open-air, almost convertible-like experience; the front panel tilts up as an air deflector. The G6 sedan currently is the only automobile in North America to offer this sliding roof design.

Refined design

With its long wheelbase and short overhangs, the G6 has a dramatic profile. Designers pulled the A-pillars forward, raking the windshield and sharpening the vehicle’s aggressive good looks with a wedge-shaped profile that suggests motion even when the car is stationary – it’s a bold, yet clean look that characterizes Pontiac’s new, contemporary design philosophy.

The G6’s lithe good looks are reinforced with numerous refinements, including prominent, projector-beam headlamps and fog lamps with crystal-clear lenses and jewel-like lighting elements. The Pontiac signature twin-port grille features chrome accents and mesh center sections made from galvanized steel.

At the rear of the vehicle, large, bright tail lamps flank a prominent trunk that is designed for easy loading. And though many competitors in the midsize segment have gooseneck-style trunk hinges that can impede storage space, the G6 features gas-charged struts that do not interfere with cargo when the trunk is closed. It’s a feature typically found on more expensive cars.

Driver-oriented interior

Complementing the G6’s bold exterior is a driver-focused, sports car cockpit with intuitively placed controls. Refinement and attention to detail are immediately apparent, from the brushed metal accents and chrome trim, to the precise, crisp true-red LED backlighting on the instrument panel.

An upscale aura is conveyed through the use of materials selected for their rich, textured surface and low-gloss appearance. Touch points, such as the HVAC vents and dashboard controls, operate firmly and directly – further heightening the G6’s feeling of precision.

The seats were designed to support the G6’s sporting nature. The front seats, with their firm yet compliant feel and high-bolstered sides, are comfortable and hold the driver and passengers confidently in place as the road begins to twist. Settling into the right driving position for those twisting roads is made easier with tilt and telescoping steering col and available adjustable pedals. Driving confidence also is enhanced with the thick, leather-wrapped four-spoke steering wheel, which works harmoniously with the variable-assist electric power steering to react immediately to driver input.

Other interior features include: available remote start; automatic climate control that maintains constant programmed cabin temperatures by automatically switching heating and air conditioning modes; premium Monsoon sound system with in-dash 6-CD changer, sub-woofer and available steering wheel controls; personalized driver information center; 100/60/40 rear-seat folding combinations; and available XM Satellite Radio.

Exceptional powertrains

Simply put, the G6’s new family of powertrains complements its athletic good looks and “let’s-do-that-curve-again” handling. At the start of production the G6 and G6 GT models will be offered with a new 3.5-liter V-6 engine, rated at 200 horsepower and 220 lb.-ft. of torque – more standard power and torque than the Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series. The engine has broad power bands that produce stirring performance for low-rpm acceleration and high-rpm responsiveness. Technical innovations, including electronic throttle control, enhance the connection between driver and car.

The 3.5 V-6 is backed by the Hydra-Matic 4T45-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission. For drivers who enjoy more control of the engine’s power bands, the G6 GT’s automatic transmission also is equipped with a manual shift mode. The feature allows the driver to manually select the gears without the need for a clutch or just leave it in the fully automatic mode.

With the manual-shift mode, sophisticated programming allows much more driver control than some competitors’ manual-control automatics. Gear changes are quick and crisp; and although the system’s programming won’t allow the engine to rev into a damaging rpm zone, it will not shift for the driver when in manual mode.

“The driver has total control with the transmission in manual-shift mode,” said Stefanyshyn. “It adds an exhilarating component to an already rewarding driving experience and supports the G6’s total performance mission.”

Later in the ’05 model year, the G6 GTP debuts with an all-new 3.9-liter HO V-6. Rated at 240 horsepower, the powerful V-6 also benefits from variable valve timing and active air intake technology. Transmission choices include a Hydra-Matic 4T65-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic with manual shift mode or an all-new, high-performance six-speed manual transmission.

For the 2006 model year, the G6 will add a 2.4-liter HO four-cylinder to its lineup. The all-aluminum, DOHC 16-valve Ecotec engine delivers 170 horsepower and 170 lb.-ft. of torque. It is mated to the 4T45-E transmission.

Intuitive handling

With its wheels at the corners and long wheelbase, the G6 significantly raises the bar for responsive handling in the midsize segment. The 112.3-inch wheelbase provides a smooth ride and enables more aggressive and responsive suspension tuning.

The front suspension consists of a MacPherson strut design with aluminum control arms and a direct acting stabilizer bar. The suspension is mounted to a U-shaped hydroformed chassis cradle that is isolated from the chassis with four specially tuned rubber mounts. The mounts reduce noise, vibration and harshness felt in the vehicle for a smoother, quieter ride.

In the rear, a four-link independent suspension design uses twin-tube shocks and, like the front suspension, a direct acting stabilizer bar. Attached to the shocks, in addition to the chassis, direct acting stabilizer bars respond more quickly to suspension loads and driver input, as well as reduce body roll.

Sixteen-inch wheels are standard on the G6, with 17-inch wheels standard on GT and GTP models. GTP customers also will be able to select optional 18-inch wheels.

Variable-assist electric power steering (EPS) is standard and aids low-speed maneuvering with a lighter feel, while increasing in firmness at higher speeds. EPS reduces underhood mass and, because there is no hydraulic fluid, eliminates a potential environmental pollutant.

World-class braking also is an integral component of G6’s performance. Large, heavy-duty four-wheel disc brakes have superior caliper drag performance that contributes to improved fuel economy and reduced pulsation, as well as European-style brake pads that provide excellent pedal feel, stopping power and fade resistance. Anti-lock brakes are standard on GT models.

Enhanced Traction System full-function traction control and Vehicle Dynamic Control System, which uses a yaw sensor and other features to keep the vehicle under control in the most challenging driving conditions, also are available.

Safety assurances

The solid Epsilon architecture provides the G6 with built-in safety assurance. Its safety cage construction is complemented with reinforcements in the rocker areas, front body hinge pillar and roof pillars designed to improve impact protection.

A magnesium cross-car beam is an integral component in the G6’s safety construction. Serving as the foundation for the dashboard, this beam ties together the lower sections of the A-pillars and helps the vehicle protect passengers in side-impact crashes. Additionally, high-strength steel is used throughout the architecture in strategic areas to bolster overall strength.

The G6 comes standard with dual-stage front air bags, seatbelt pretensioners and an energy absorbing steering col. Head curtain “roof rail” side air bags, which help protect the outboard front and rear passengers’ head and upper torso during a side-impact collision, are available. Seat-mounted side air bags, which help protect the thorax in side collisions, also are available.

Remote keyless entry and a content theft alarm are standard on V-6 models.

“The G6 has the refinement and attention to detail needed to compete in today’s competitive sports sedan market,” said Myers. “Its outstanding power, ride and handling make G6 a ‘gotta have’ car for sports sedan enthusiasts.”

2005 PONTIAC G6 | Preliminary Specifications

Overview

Models: Pontiac G6 and G6 GT

Body style / driveline: 5-passenger, front-engine, front-drive sedan

Construction: unitized, 2-side galvanized steel body with high-strength steel in chassis

EPA vehicle class: midsize sedan

Manufacturing location: Orion, Michigan

Key competitors: Nissan Altima, Mitsubishi Galant; Dodge Stratus, Mazda 6, Volkswagen Jetta

Engines 2400 I-4 (LE5) - MY ‘06 3500 V-6 (LX9)

Application: standard on G6 starting in MY 2006 available on G6, standard on GT

Type: 2.4L DOHC HO I-4 3.5L OHV V-6

Displacement (cu in / cc): 145 / 2385 213 / 3498

Valvetrain: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder OHV, 2 valves per cylinder

Horsepower(hp / kw @ rpm): 170 / 127 @ 6000 170 / 127 @ 4800

Torque(lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 170 / 230 @ 4400 205 / 278 @ 4400

Recommended fuel: 87 octane 87 octane

Transmissions

Type: Hydra-Matic 4T45-E 4-speed electronic automatic (with manual shift mode on G6 GT)

Chassis/Suspension

G6 GT

Front: MacPherson strut with aluminum L-shaped control arms; 21-mm hollow direct-acting stabilizer bar MacPherson strut with aluminum L-shaped control arms; 22-mm hollow, direct-acting stabilizer bar

Rear: four-link independent with twin-tube gas shocks; dual rate mini-block coil springs; 19-mm solid direct-acting stabilizer bar four-link independent with twin-tube gas shocks; dual rate mini-block coil springs; 20-mm solid direct-acting stabilizer bar

Steering type: variable assist electric power steering variable assist electric power steering

Steering ratio: 16.2:1 16.2:1

Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.9 2.78

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): 36 / 11.6 39.3 / 12

Brakes G6 G6 V6/GT

Type: power-assisted vented power-assisted vented

front / rear disc front / rear disc

ABS available ABS standard

Rotor / drum diameter (in / mm): front: 10.87 / 276; rear: 10.63 / 270 front: 11.65 / 296; rear: 10.63 / 270

Wheels/Tires 16-inch 17-inch

Wheel size and type: 16-inch with wheel cover standard on SE; 16-inch alloy optional on SE 17-inch five-spoke alloy standard on GT

Tires: P215/60R16 touring blackwall P225/50R17 performance blackwall

Dimensions

Exterior G6 Sedan GT Sedan

Wheelbase (in / mm): 112.3 / 2852 112.3 / 2852

Overall length (in / mm): 189 / 4802 189 / 4802

Overall width (in / mm): 70.6 / 1749 70.6 / 1749

Overall height (in / mm): 57 / 1450 57 / 1450

Track (in / mm): front: 59.8 / 1519rear: 60.4 / 1534 front: 59.8 / 1519rear: 60.4 / 1534

Curb weight (lb / kg): 3380 / 1533 3428 / 1555

Interior G6 GT

Seating capacity(front / rear): 2 / 3 2 / 3

Head room (in / mm): front: 39.5 / 1003 front: 39.5 / 1003
rear: 36.3 / 923 rear: 36.3 / 923
Leg room (in / mm): front: 42.2 / 1073 front: 42.2 / 1073
rear: 37.6 / 955 rear: 37.6 / 955
Shoulder room (in / mm): front: 55.4 / 1407 front: 55.4 / 1407
rear: 53.8 / 1366 rear: 53.8 / 1366
Hip room (in / mm): front: 52.7 / 1338 front: 52.7 / 1338
rear: 51.9 / 1318 rear: 51.9 / 1318

Source: Autoweek
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY GENERAL MOTORS

PONTIAC G6 SPORTS SEDAN DELIVERS TOTAL PERFORMANCE, STYLE AND REFINEMENT

DETROIT - No limitations, no compromises and no excuses. No kidding.

Pontiac revealed its all-new G6 sports sedan at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It goes on sale in Fall 2004. Additional models, including a 2+2 sports coupe and a convertible, will follow the sedan’s rollout.
When it came to developing the 2005 G6, Pontiac set out to challenge the look and feel of sporty midsize cars - and “compromise” wasn’t in the lexicon of change. This all-new sports sedan reinvigorates the midsize segment with contemporary design, total performance and exceptional attention to detail.

“The G6 is a game-changing car,” said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. “All the elements came together in a way that emphasizes Pontiac’s fresh design direction and renewed performance spirit – and demonstrates GM’s commitment to leadership in the passenger car market.”

With its contemporary, sensuous styling and athletic proportions, the G6 is a tightly wrapped package of total performance, engaging driver’s environment and outstanding quality and safety. Highlights include:

· All-new family of performance oriented powertrains, including a 170-horsepower HO 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder, 200-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 and 240-horsepower HO 3.9-liter V-6

· Sophisticated, electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode standard on GT model

· European-designed high performance six-speed manual transmission available with the 3.9-liter V-6

· Class-leading 112.3-inch wheelbase, enabling fresh, contemporary styling, exceptional ride and handling, and the rear-seat legroom of a larger car

· Four-wheel sport-tuned independent suspension, with MacPherson strut front suspension, four-link independent rear suspension, variable-assist electric power steering, full function traction control, and a range of 16-, 17-, and 18-inch performance wheels and tires

· GM’s global Epsilon architecture with cross-car magnesium beam results in 27.3 Hz bending frequency which provides rigidity and body stiffness for quiet, solid and more responsive ride and handling characteristics

· Engaging, driver-oriented interior with sporty, refined controls and instrument layout; tilt and telescoping steering col; available adjustable pedals; highly bolstered, body-hugging seats; automatic climate control; racing-style gauges with true-red LED instrument backlighting; and premium sound system with in-dash 6-CD changer

· Market-exclusive Panoramic roof, which features four sliding glass panels to create a convertible-style open-air driving experience

· Contemporary, sensuous design with upscale refinement and attention to detail

· Outstanding quality, reliability and safety, including standard dual-stage air bags, and available side- and head curtain air bags

· Available remote start.

“The G6’s responsive performance and high level of refinement are impressive and typically found in more expensive sports sedans,” said Myers.

Solid foundation

Built on GM’s rigid, European-designed Epsilon architecture, the G6 delivers responsive ride and handling qualities thanks, in part, to its class-leading 112.3-inch wheelbase. Stretching more than five inches longer than key midsize competitors, the G6’s wheelbase pushes the wheels to the corners of the body, enabling razor-sharp handling with minimal body roll.

The G6’s long wheelbase is comparable to full-size sedans, giving rear-seat passengers class-leading legroom. On the outside, the aggressive proportions culminate in a taut, contemporary design.

“The benefit of the all-new architecture allowed a clean-sheet approach, enabling us to design a great looking, great driving car with outstanding performance, comfort and utility,” said Gene Stefanyshyn, GM vehicle line executive, midsize cars.

The G6’s unique proportions allowed many unexpected details, including rear passenger door glass that rolls down all the way and the available Panoramic sliding roof – a four-panel, electronically operated glass roof. Three of the four panels slide rearward, creating a sunroof large enough for even the rear-seat passengers to enjoy an open-air, almost convertible-like experience; the front panel tilts up as an air deflector. The G6 sedan currently is the only automobile in North America to offer this sliding roof design.

Refined design

With its long wheelbase and short overhangs, the G6 has a dramatic profile. Designers pulled the A-pillars forward, raking the windshield and sharpening the vehicle’s aggressive good looks with a wedge-shaped profile that suggests motion even when the car is stationary – it’s a bold, yet clean look that characterizes Pontiac’s new, contemporary design philosophy.

The G6’s lithe good looks are reinforced with numerous refinements, including prominent, projector-beam headlamps and fog lamps with crystal-clear lenses and jewel-like lighting elements. The Pontiac signature twin-port grille features chrome accents and mesh center sections made from galvanized steel.

At the rear of the vehicle, large, bright tail lamps flank a prominent trunk that is designed for easy loading. And though many competitors in the midsize segment have gooseneck-style trunk hinges that can impede storage space, the G6 features gas-charged struts that do not interfere with cargo when the trunk is closed. It’s a feature typically found on more expensive cars.

Driver-oriented interior

Complementing the G6’s bold exterior is a driver-focused, sports car cockpit with intuitively placed controls. Refinement and attention to detail are immediately apparent, from the brushed metal accents and chrome trim, to the precise, crisp true-red LED backlighting on the instrument panel.

An upscale aura is conveyed through the use of materials selected for their rich, textured surface and low-gloss appearance. Touch points, such as the HVAC vents and dashboard controls, operate firmly and directly – further heightening the G6’s feeling of precision.

The seats were designed to support the G6’s sporting nature. The front seats, with their firm yet compliant feel and high-bolstered sides, are comfortable and hold the driver and passengers confidently in place as the road begins to twist. Settling into the right driving position for those twisting roads is made easier with tilt and telescoping steering col and available adjustable pedals. Driving confidence also is enhanced with the thick, leather-wrapped four-spoke steering wheel, which works harmoniously with the variable-assist electric power steering to react immediately to driver input.

Other interior features include: available remote start; automatic climate control that maintains constant programmed cabin temperatures by automatically switching heating and air conditioning modes; premium Monsoon sound system with in-dash 6-CD changer, sub-woofer and available steering wheel controls; personalized driver information center; 100/60/40 rear-seat folding combinations; and available XM Satellite Radio.

Exceptional powertrains

Simply put, the G6’s new family of powertrains complements its athletic good looks and “let’s-do-that-curve-again” handling. At the start of production the G6 and G6 GT models will be offered with a new 3.5-liter V-6 engine, rated at 200 horsepower and 220 lb.-ft. of torque – more standard power and torque than the Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series. The engine has broad power bands that produce stirring performance for low-rpm acceleration and high-rpm responsiveness. Technical innovations, including electronic throttle control, enhance the connection between driver and car.

The 3.5 V-6 is backed by the Hydra-Matic 4T45-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission. For drivers who enjoy more control of the engine’s power bands, the G6 GT’s automatic transmission also is equipped with a manual shift mode. The feature allows the driver to manually select the gears without the need for a clutch or just leave it in the fully automatic mode.

With the manual-shift mode, sophisticated programming allows much more driver control than some competitors’ manual-control automatics. Gear changes are quick and crisp; and although the system’s programming won’t allow the engine to rev into a damaging rpm zone, it will not shift for the driver when in manual mode.

“The driver has total control with the transmission in manual-shift mode,” said Stefanyshyn. “It adds an exhilarating component to an already rewarding driving experience and supports the G6’s total performance mission.”

Later in the ’05 model year, the G6 GTP debuts with an all-new 3.9-liter HO V-6. Rated at 240 horsepower, the powerful V-6 also benefits from variable valve timing and active air intake technology. Transmission choices include a Hydra-Matic 4T65-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic with manual shift mode or an all-new, high-performance six-speed manual transmission.

For the 2006 model year, the G6 will add a 2.4-liter HO four-cylinder to its lineup. The all-aluminum, DOHC 16-valve Ecotec engine delivers 170 horsepower and 170 lb.-ft. of torque. It is mated to the 4T45-E transmission.

Intuitive handling

With its wheels at the corners and long wheelbase, the G6 significantly raises the bar for responsive handling in the midsize segment. The 112.3-inch wheelbase provides a smooth ride and enables more aggressive and responsive suspension tuning.

The front suspension consists of a MacPherson strut design with aluminum control arms and a direct acting stabilizer bar. The suspension is mounted to a U-shaped hydroformed chassis cradle that is isolated from the chassis with four specially tuned rubber mounts. The mounts reduce noise, vibration and harshness felt in the vehicle for a smoother, quieter ride.

In the rear, a four-link independent suspension design uses twin-tube shocks and, like the front suspension, a direct acting stabilizer bar. Attached to the shocks, in addition to the chassis, direct acting stabilizer bars respond more quickly to suspension loads and driver input, as well as reduce body roll.

Sixteen-inch wheels are standard on the G6, with 17-inch wheels standard on GT and GTP models. GTP customers also will be able to select optional 18-inch wheels.

Variable-assist electric power steering (EPS) is standard and aids low-speed maneuvering with a lighter feel, while increasing in firmness at higher speeds. EPS reduces underhood mass and, because there is no hydraulic fluid, eliminates a potential environmental pollutant.

World-class braking also is an integral component of G6’s performance. Large, heavy-duty four-wheel disc brakes have superior caliper drag performance that contributes to improved fuel economy and reduced pulsation, as well as European-style brake pads that provide excellent pedal feel, stopping power and fade resistance. Anti-lock brakes are standard on GT models.

Enhanced Traction System full-function traction control and Vehicle Dynamic Control System, which uses a yaw sensor and other features to keep the vehicle under control in the most challenging driving conditions, also are available.

Safety assurances

The solid Epsilon architecture provides the G6 with built-in safety assurance. Its safety cage construction is complemented with reinforcements in the rocker areas, front body hinge pillar and roof pillars designed to improve impact protection.

A magnesium cross-car beam is an integral component in the G6’s safety construction. Serving as the foundation for the dashboard, this beam ties together the lower sections of the A-pillars and helps the vehicle protect passengers in side-impact crashes. Additionally, high-strength steel is used throughout the architecture in strategic areas to bolster overall strength.

The G6 comes standard with dual-stage front air bags, seatbelt pretensioners and an energy absorbing steering col. Head curtain “roof rail” side air bags, which help protect the outboard front and rear passengers’ head and upper torso during a side-impact collision, are available. Seat-mounted side air bags, which help protect the thorax in side collisions, also are available.

Remote keyless entry and a content theft alarm are standard on V-6 models.

“The G6 has the refinement and attention to detail needed to compete in today’s competitive sports sedan market,” said Myers. “Its outstanding power, ride and handling make G6 a ‘gotta have’ car for sports sedan enthusiasts.”

2005 PONTIAC G6 | Preliminary Specifications

Overview

Models: Pontiac G6 and G6 GT

Body style / driveline: 5-passenger, front-engine, front-drive sedan

Construction: unitized, 2-side galvanized steel body with high-strength steel in chassis

EPA vehicle class: midsize sedan

Manufacturing location: Orion, Michigan

Key competitors: Nissan Altima, Mitsubishi Galant; Dodge Stratus, Mazda 6, Volkswagen Jetta

Engines 2400 I-4 (LE5) - MY ‘06 3500 V-6 (LX9)

Application: standard on G6 starting in MY 2006 available on G6, standard on GT

Type: 2.4L DOHC HO I-4 3.5L OHV V-6

Displacement (cu in / cc): 145 / 2385 213 / 3498

Valvetrain: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder OHV, 2 valves per cylinder

Horsepower(hp / kw @ rpm): 170 / 127 @ 6000 170 / 127 @ 4800

Torque(lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 170 / 230 @ 4400 205 / 278 @ 4400

Recommended fuel: 87 octane 87 octane

Transmissions

Type: Hydra-Matic 4T45-E 4-speed electronic automatic (with manual shift mode on G6 GT)

Chassis/Suspension

G6 GT

Front: MacPherson strut with aluminum L-shaped control arms; 21-mm hollow direct-acting stabilizer bar MacPherson strut with aluminum L-shaped control arms; 22-mm hollow, direct-acting stabilizer bar

Rear: four-link independent with twin-tube gas shocks; dual rate mini-block coil springs; 19-mm solid direct-acting stabilizer bar four-link independent with twin-tube gas shocks; dual rate mini-block coil springs; 20-mm solid direct-acting stabilizer bar

Steering type: variable assist electric power steering variable assist electric power steering

Steering ratio: 16.2:1 16.2:1

Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.9 2.78

Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): 36 / 11.6 39.3 / 12

Brakes G6 G6 V6/GT

Type: power-assisted vented power-assisted vented

front / rear disc front / rear disc

ABS available ABS standard

Rotor / drum diameter (in / mm): front: 10.87 / 276; rear: 10.63 / 270 front: 11.65 / 296; rear: 10.63 / 270

Wheels/Tires 16-inch 17-inch

Wheel size and type: 16-inch with wheel cover standard on SE; 16-inch alloy optional on SE 17-inch five-spoke alloy standard on GT

Tires: P215/60R16 touring blackwall P225/50R17 performance blackwall

Dimensions

Exterior G6 Sedan GT Sedan

Wheelbase (in / mm): 112.3 / 2852 112.3 / 2852

Overall length (in / mm): 189 / 4802 189 / 4802

Overall width (in / mm): 70.6 / 1749 70.6 / 1749

Overall height (in / mm): 57 / 1450 57 / 1450

Track (in / mm): front: 59.8 / 1519rear: 60.4 / 1534 front: 59.8 / 1519rear: 60.4 / 1534

Curb weight (lb / kg): 3380 / 1533 3428 / 1555

Interior G6 GT

Seating capacity(front / rear): 2 / 3 2 / 3

Head room (in / mm): front: 39.5 / 1003 front: 39.5 / 1003
rear: 36.3 / 923 rear: 36.3 / 923
Leg room (in / mm): front: 42.2 / 1073 front: 42.2 / 1073
rear: 37.6 / 955 rear: 37.6 / 955
Shoulder room (in / mm): front: 55.4 / 1407 front: 55.4 / 1407
rear: 53.8 / 1366 rear: 53.8 / 1366
Hip room (in / mm): front: 52.7 / 1338 front: 52.7 / 1338
rear: 51.9 / 1318 rear: 51.9 / 1318

Source: Autoweek
Old 01-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 01-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
fap fap fap

love the roof, hate the interior
Old 01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
fap fap fap

love the roof, hate the interior
Old 01-05-2004, 11:11 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
wow... the concept was great... and they managed to ruin it!

that is ugly
Old 01-05-2004, 11:11 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
wow... the concept was great... and they managed to ruin it!

that is ugly
Old 01-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2004 DETROIT AUTO SHOW: No halo, but G6 is crucial to Pontiac
By K.C. Crain
Automotive News / January 05, 2004

Pontiac is aiming for two halo vehicles - the GTO and the Solstice roadster - but the financial future of the brand is riding on the 2005 G6.

General Motors unveiled its Grand Am replacement at the North American International Auto Show Monday.

Pontiac-GMC officials say they expect the G6 to be the volume leader for Pontiac. And they want it to show off what Marketing General Manager Lynn Myers calls "Pontiac's fresh design direction and renewed performance spirit." That translates to a cleaner, cladding-free exterior and an improved powertrain.

The GTO went on sale late last year, and the Solstice is scheduled for the 2006 model year.

The G6 will be built on GM's Epsilon mid-sized front-wheel-drive architecture, following the Opel Vectra, Saab 9-3 and Chevrolet Malibu.

Pontiac hopes to bolster the G6's performance credibility with improved hardware:

Two V-6 engines - a 3.5-liter 200-hp version available at launch next fall and a 3.9-liter making 240 hp to be offered on the GTP model, which debuts late next year. The Grand Am topped out with a 175-hp, 3.4-liter V-6.

An aluminum 2.4-liter, 170-hp I4 engine, a boost from the Grand Am's 2.2-liter 140-hp I4. The 2.4-liter I4 arrives for the 2006 model year.

Transmission enhancements, including manual shift mode on the GT model's automatic and a six-speed manual available with the 3.9 liter V-6.

In 2000, Pontiac sold 214,923 Grand Ams. In the first 11 months of 2003, Pontiac sold only 142,098 Grand Ams. The G6 will be launched as a sedan but will be followed by 2+2 and convertible versions.

The G6's 112.3-inch wheelbase - 5 inches longer than the Grand Am's - gave the designers the opportunity to change the exterior proportions.

"The G6 is about the same length as the Grand Am, but the wheelbase is five inches longer," says Jeff Perkins, design manager for the G6.

"That creates dramatically shorter overhangs, which allowed us to wrap the front and rear fascias around the corners for a tighter appearance."

New for the G6 will be factory-installed 16-inch, 17-inch and 18-inch wheel and tire combinations. The vehicle also will have a four-panel sliding sunroof and trunk struts instead of hinges for easier loading.

Source: Auto News
Old 01-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2004 DETROIT AUTO SHOW: No halo, but G6 is crucial to Pontiac
By K.C. Crain
Automotive News / January 05, 2004

Pontiac is aiming for two halo vehicles - the GTO and the Solstice roadster - but the financial future of the brand is riding on the 2005 G6.

General Motors unveiled its Grand Am replacement at the North American International Auto Show Monday.

Pontiac-GMC officials say they expect the G6 to be the volume leader for Pontiac. And they want it to show off what Marketing General Manager Lynn Myers calls "Pontiac's fresh design direction and renewed performance spirit." That translates to a cleaner, cladding-free exterior and an improved powertrain.

The GTO went on sale late last year, and the Solstice is scheduled for the 2006 model year.

The G6 will be built on GM's Epsilon mid-sized front-wheel-drive architecture, following the Opel Vectra, Saab 9-3 and Chevrolet Malibu.

Pontiac hopes to bolster the G6's performance credibility with improved hardware:

Two V-6 engines - a 3.5-liter 200-hp version available at launch next fall and a 3.9-liter making 240 hp to be offered on the GTP model, which debuts late next year. The Grand Am topped out with a 175-hp, 3.4-liter V-6.

An aluminum 2.4-liter, 170-hp I4 engine, a boost from the Grand Am's 2.2-liter 140-hp I4. The 2.4-liter I4 arrives for the 2006 model year.

Transmission enhancements, including manual shift mode on the GT model's automatic and a six-speed manual available with the 3.9 liter V-6.

In 2000, Pontiac sold 214,923 Grand Ams. In the first 11 months of 2003, Pontiac sold only 142,098 Grand Ams. The G6 will be launched as a sedan but will be followed by 2+2 and convertible versions.

The G6's 112.3-inch wheelbase - 5 inches longer than the Grand Am's - gave the designers the opportunity to change the exterior proportions.

"The G6 is about the same length as the Grand Am, but the wheelbase is five inches longer," says Jeff Perkins, design manager for the G6.

"That creates dramatically shorter overhangs, which allowed us to wrap the front and rear fascias around the corners for a tighter appearance."

New for the G6 will be factory-installed 16-inch, 17-inch and 18-inch wheel and tire combinations. The vehicle also will have a four-panel sliding sunroof and trunk struts instead of hinges for easier loading.

Source: Auto News
Old 01-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Save the stupid roof and put that money into a better interior. That steering wheel is classic crap GM plastic. It looks like it's as hard as granite.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Save the stupid roof and put that money into a better interior. That steering wheel is classic crap GM plastic. It looks like it's as hard as granite.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Interior SUCKS!!!! that roof looks so cheap!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Interior SUCKS!!!! that roof looks so cheap!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by vinarnold
this car is going to be a winner for sure looks really nice...
yep
Old 01-05-2004, 03:12 PM
The hair says it all

looks pretty good to me, for what it is. i dont understand what gm's problem with sterring wheels is....just make it 3 spoke

Quick Reply: Pontiac G6 News **GXP Specs (page 9)**