Polestar: 2 News

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,881 Posts
My problem is that the interior feels substandard compared to other Volvos. I know it's based on the CMA platform so of course it comes from economy-ish roots, but the vegan interior makes it feel much cheaper than the comparable XC40 Recharge, which comes standard with leather. Adding the leather package helps, but you have to throw on an extra $4000 for that. I honestly cannot find a way to justify paying substantially more for the Polestar 2 vs the XC40 Recharge when they have the same powertrain, same platform, and the XC40 is more practical and more comfortable and looks better (subjective I know). The Polestar 2 does handle a little better, but on my test drive through the twisties I wasn't impressed by it enough to overlook all the other areas. The lack of a service/dealership network for the Polestar compared to the XC40 is also a problem.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/08/si...-s-from-47200/

The single motor version of the 2022 Polestar 2 is heading to the United States from $47,200 including a $1,300 destination charge.

Like the dual-motor version of the Polestar 2, the single-motor variant has a 78 kWh lithium-ion battery pack but rather than producing 408 hp and 487 lb-ft (660 Nm), it is capped at 231 hp and 248 lb-ft (336 Nm). It also has an EPA-estimated maximum driving range of 265 miles (426 km), which is better than the 249-mile (400 km) range of the dual-motor version.

When federal, state, and utility incentives are factored in, the entry-level Polestar 2 can be purchased for as little as $34,900 plus the $1,300 destination charge.

The single-motor Polestar 2 will be offered with three option packages. The first is the $3,000 Pilot Pack which adds a host of electronic driving aids. Also on offer is the $4,000 Plus Pack that includes a heat pump that can increase the range by up to 10 per cent in ideal conditions and uses thermal energy emitted by the drivetrain to heat the cabin; it also adds a full-length panoramic sunroof and a Harman-Kardon sound system.

Last but not least is the $5,000 Performance Pack that brings with it an adjustable Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, Continental tires, and gold exterior accents. A handful of other standalone options are available, such as leather upholstery for $4,000, 20-inch wheels for $1,200, and a tow bar for $1,200.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:12 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Road tripping in Polestar 2 - CNBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/cnbc...-new-cars.html

CNBC road test: The U.S. EV charging network isn’t ready for your family road trip, let alone the expected wave of new cars

PUBLISHED TUE, AUG 24 20218:08 AM EDTUPDATED TUE, AUG 24 20212:52 PM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • One of the biggest barriers to EV adoption in the U.S. is the charging infrastructure.
  • Finding a charger wasn’t a problem in California, it was the time it takes to get a full charge.
  • It takes about 10 minutes to fill your car with a tank of gas but about 45 minutes to fully charge an EV, sometimes longer.

WATCH NOW
VIDEO07:07
What it’s like to take a non-Tesla electric car on a road tripElectric cars are the future.

Whether you want to go green or not, most of us are going to be driving an EV in the next two decades. Automakers are spending billions retooling factories and revamping their fleets to go most or all-electric in the next 10 to 15 years, plans fully endorsed by President Joe Bidenwho wants half of all U.S. auto sales to be electric vehicles by 2030. That’s a massive goal considering the market, including plug-in hybrids, currently stands at about 3%.

One of the biggest barriers to EV adoption is America’s charging network. There are roughly 136,400 gas stations in the U.S., but just 43,800 EV charging stations, according to the Department of Energy. And it takes about 10 minutes to fill your car with a tank of gas but about 45 minutes to fully charge an EV, sometimes longer.

While the bipartisan $1 trillion infrastructure bill in Congress budgets $7.5 billion for charging stations we are still a long way from a widespread charging network.

So my producer Harriet Taylor and I decided to put California’s charging infrastructure to the test on an eight-hour road trip from Southern California to San Francisco. California accounted for 9% of EV sales in the first quarter and has the largest charging network in America, so it made sense to start there.

We specifically wanted to test anything other than a Tesla, which has the single-largest charging network in the world with 25,000 global charging stations. You need an adapter to use it, but the benefits and wide availability of Tesla’s charging network are generally well known.

Charging on the road with any car brand other than Tesla is something you don’t hear much about.

I admit that even as a “car guy” I had a lot of questions about charging, the new terminology, the speed, potential costs and more.

We rented a brand-new Polestar 2, Volvo’s recent entry into the electric car market, from Enterprise. Most EVs have a range, how far it can drive on a single full charge, of between 100 and 300 miles. The Polestar’s range was advertised at 265 miles, but that can change depending on a variety of things: cold weather, driving up or down hills or using the AC, for instance.

I had driven the Polestar 2 on a brief test a few months earlier so was familiar with it enough to feel comfortable on a long drive.

CNBCWe drove about 60 miles from Enterprise to our first stop at Mountain Pass, California, about 15 miles from the Nevada border in the “high desert” at around 5 p.m. on a Tuesday night at 105 degrees.

We had to remove a metal cover from a power outlet at a mine but then we were able to plug in and get to 100% before setting off.

Two initial takes after just a few miles: One, it’s easy to get anxious by staring at the giant “percent charged” screen (so we turned it off) and two, we had to download a bunch of apps as we learned to navigate the new “range world.”

Source: CNBCOur go-to became PlugShare, which shows you where charging stations are regardless of who owns them, which network it was on, how fast it took to charge, whether it’s currently available and, hopefully, a picture so you can see what you’re getting into.

PlugShare became a favorite because it was brand-agnostic and customers left reviews of their experience. Those reviews were valuable, because we found that many chargers weren’t nearly as fast as advertised and some just didn’t work or were in weird locations.

The Polestar also has Google map integration that shows charging stations along the route as well as your projected percent charge when you arrived. We found the charging forecast very accurate, but we think Google could improve the experience by filtering by types of chargers (we had Tesla envy as their stations popped up everywhere).

Stop 1: Electrify America at a Walmart

We rolled into our first stop at a Walmart in Barstow, California. It was an Electrify America location, and they had about eight chargers. Only one was occupied — by an Audi eTron — and so we plugged in, hitting the store for the facilities and, honestly, just to walk around in the air conditioning (did we mention it was hot, hot, hot?!).

Charging took 37 minutes and cost us $13.33.

Brian Sullivan using a charging station in Sunnyvale
CNBCNow, off to Bakersfield.

The drive along Route 58 was fascinating. We passed one of the airplane storage fields along with the Alta Wind Energy Center, one of the biggest wind energy facilities in the world. It was a gorgeous drive at sunset coming down the mountain with lots of hills along this route.

Hills matter for the Polestar 2 in two ways: first, up hill seems to burn more charge as the car is under load pulling its own weight, but going down is a win because the car has a system that generates power by slowing the car without braking. So once you get the hang of it, you almost never touch the brake pedal and produce some power while you do it.

Stop 2: The Hampton Inn

We rolled into Bakersfield at an 18% charge after covering 135 miles and plugged into a Chargepoint system at a Hampton Inn. It only had two plugs but we were the only car there and the night manager said he’s actually never seen anyone use it. It was slow, but free, and we left with an 89% charge about 10 hours later.

The long, boring and hot (did we mention it was hot?) drive straight up I-5 through the breadbasket of California was next. Harriet had a 4 p.m. flight out of the San Francisco airport so we were on a bit of a tight schedule and had to leave time to charge.

Pro tip: when planning a trip, it helps to be relatively good at math to help calculate various charging time scenarios.

Source: CNBC

Stop 3: Electrify America at Shell gas station

The various apps showed us the best possible stop was in Firebaugh, about 140 miles up the road. There looked to be a few fast-food joints and places to get a coffee. And that’s pretty much all it was. Our Electrify America plug was at a Shell gas station (as many seem to be) with a small convenience store.

Source: CNBCWe grabbed some water and just, well, stood around. It took us 41 minutes and cost $21.93 to get to an 87% charge, and we enviously eyed the Tesla network across the road, where drivers charged more quickly and had shade from the stations’ roof (did we mention how hot it was?). We went back in to buy sunscreen.

Now, the final leg. Firebaugh to San Francisco International Airport. Or not. The car’s software indicated we would hit SFO with a meager 5% charge. And since I was continuing on to the city, it wouldn’t be enough. We would have to stop again. Annoying, but not the end of the world given that we were going to be hungry and we were rolling into Silicon Valley, where charging stations are as plentiful as garlic in Gilroy. We found a charger near a ramen joint and powered up both ourselves and the car.

I dropped Harriet off at the airport and finished the short ride into the city, arriving near the CNBC studio with a solid 42% charge and a lot of curious looks from drivers wondering what kind of car it was.

Pro tip No. 2: Because of the hills, SF is the perfect place for the Polestar 2 and its regenerative braking!

Final thoughts

A long road trip in an EV right now is not impossible, but it’s not ideal. Yes, we know that something like 95% of trips by car are short hops along the same routes: work, school, store, repeat.

Electric cars may be the future, but the future needs to speed up. And by that, we mean charging speeds have got to accelerate as quickly as the Polestar 2 at a green light: 45 minutes every 200 miles or so won’t cut it for any family looking to make a longer road trip.

We didn’t see a shortage of chargers. Even in the desert we found chargers to use. There is, however, a shortage of chargers in places you really want to stop. Ultimately, I think the EV play is less about cars and more about real estate.

The more EVs on the road, the more charging stations that will be needed. There’s not a lot of demand for them right now, so charging ports were plentiful on our trip. But just think of 20 cars sitting for 45 minutes or more at a time at a single charging station. That takes up a lot of time and space.

For most people, a new car needs to have utility 100% of the time. Based on this trip, it’s not clear we are there yet.

-- CNBC’s Michael Wayland contributed to this article.

Poor choice to pick a non-Tesla EV for road tripping at present. .
Old 08-25-2021, 12:28 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Old 09-10-2021, 11:52 AM

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/53191...r-first-drive/

The year 2017 was massive for Polestar. The Swedish carmaker decided to announce its presence with a plug-in hybrid, carbon fiber–bodied supercar featuring a twin-charged engine and stunning silhouette. While it was far from a sales success, the Polestar 1 did exactly what it was supposed to do: It got people talking.

The brand's second model, the Polestar 2, arrived shortly after as a mass-market–friendly five-door hatchback. Unlike its muscle-car sibling, the Polestar 2 lacked an internal combustion engine entirely, solidifying the brand's commitment to battery electric vehicles. With a dual-motor setup and nearly $60,000 price tag, the Polestar 2 was a solid first attempt, but it carried a significant price premium over the segment's reigning champ, the Tesla Model 3.

I recently went out to New Mexico to drive what might be the brand's golden goose, the 2022 Polestar 2 Single Motor. Aside from losing the electric motor on its rear axle, this new variant gets a massive $14,000 price cut over last year's dual-motor offering (which also gets $10,000 cheaper for 2022).

At first glance, it's almost impossible to distinguish this new Single Motor variant from its Dual Motor sibling. As a result, this chiseled high-riding hatchback retains the same good looks regardless of which configuration you opt for. The big visual news for the 2022 model is the ability to option a steel roof. Previously, if you wanted a Polestar 2, you had to get a panoramic glass roof. While its lack of support bars created a sleek open-air feeling, enough customers complained about toasty in-cabin temperatures on hot days.

In the pursuit of a sleek minimalist aesthetic, Polestar decided to do away with chrome trim on all six of its available color options. My personal favorite is the gloss black option called Void, which looks sinister in its monochrome finish that highlights the brand's excellent lighting elements.

The Polestar 2 rides on Volvo Group's CMA platform, which underpins small crossovers such as the XC40 Recharge and the Lynk & Co 01. Aside from giving this hatchback its distinct high-riding look, the modular architecture designed originally for combustion-powered cars creates unique advantages for the Polestar 2’s modular battery pack.

As its name suggests, the 2022 Polestar 2 Single Motor does away with the electric motor previously stationed on the car's rear axle, making it front-wheel drive. In total, you're getting a more than respectable 231 horsepower and 243 pound-feet from the 78 kWh battery pack.

While this new model is undoubtedly the star of the show, I began my day with a mountain drive in the 408-hp Dual-Motor version of the Polestar 2 equipped with the optional Performance Pack for comparison’s sake.

From a giddy-up perspective, you're picking between a fast car and a faster car. While these two variants have significant power differences on paper, they feel pretty similar on the road, especially in crowded city streets. The instant response from the electric powertrain means that even the Single Motor variant feels far quicker than its 7-second dash to 60 miles per hour would suggest. In short, there are no losers in this matchup.

The same goes for how the Polestar 2 behaves at speed and on twisty back roads. Thanks to a 1,100-lb (499 kg) battery pack weighing things down, even the FWD Single Motor variant manages to provide excellent grip with little understeer. However, thanks to its suspension setup, the Single Motor tends to roll considerably in the corners.

Since the 2022 Polestar 2 Single Motor has to contend with the wildly successful Tesla Model 3 and its impressive stats, let's talk about range. In total, Polestar estimates that the Single Motor variant will be capable of 265 miles of range, but this hasn't yet been certified by the EPA. The Dual Motor car has an official EPA estimate, and its range bumps slightly from 233 miles in 2021 to 249 in 2022. To take care of early Polestar 2 adopters, the Swedish carmaker plans to release an OTA update to increase the range of the 2021 models it has already sold.

In contrast, the aforementioned Tesla Model 3 boasts range figures of 262 miles for its single motor configuration and 353 miles for its long-range dual-motor setup.

As mentioned earlier, the Polestar 2 houses a 78-kilowatt-hour battery pack with 75 kWh of usable capacity. This includes 27 modules and 324 cells. The Polestar 2 has operates at400 volts, which supports up to 155-kW DC Charging. In 33 minutes, you can expect to jump from 10 to 80 percent at 150 kW. If you're at home with a Level 2 charger, expect a charge time of eight hours at 11 kW.

While it would've been great to put some of these charging numbers to the test, the Single Motor versions of the Polestar 2 shown in New Mexico were European-spec models that featured a CCS Type 2 connector instead of the CCS Type 1 that the US-spec cars will include.

To improve range, Polestar has also added an optional heat pump that can improve efficiency by as much as 10 percent under certain climate conditions. In short, the pump draws heat from the outside of the car and its powertrain to warm up the cabin and the battery pack. As a result, you don't waste as much energy running the heater.

Unlike most new vehicles, the 2022 Polestar 2 utilizes Android Automotive OS to run its vertically oriented 11.3-inch infotainment screen and 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. The benefit here is that you get Google Maps, Google Assistant, and other Android-based apps built-in.

While this system lacks Apple CarPlay connectivity, I had no trouble connecting my iPhone and listening to music, or putting in directions. The main benefit of utilizing the onboard Google Maps system is its lightning-fast response time and strikingly accurate battery consumption estimates.

By having the Google Play store on board, you can also install other apps such as Spotify or Tidal, meaning you don't need to connect your phone physically if you don't want to. Factor in using a digital key, and there's no need to take out or connect any devices before hitting the road. On my drive back from the mountains, a crash diverted me from my pre-programmed route. However, Google Assistant quickly found an alternate way and provided new battery consumption estimates. All in all, interacting with the Polestar 2 is easy and relaxing.

For the most part, it's pretty easy to sit and compare EVs on paper. Whether it be range or 0-60 times, their performance often characterizes EVs. However, even the fastest all-electric experience can be ruined by a terrible cabin and poor material choice. Fortunately, this is one of the Polestar 2's greatest strengths.

In keeping with the overall theme of sustainability, the Polestar 2 features a cabin that is fully vegan. However, the real story here is the use of varying textures on the dashboard, door cards, and seats. While the only Nappa leather option is finished in a beautiful tan color, I would skip it for the cheaper WaveTech interior, which feels just as premium. While it is a cloth-type material, its tight construction feels durable and better matched to the rest of the cabin.

If you'd like a fancy spec, you can option reconstructed wood trim in various colors or an intricate hexagonal pattern like the one in my tester. While these materials are excellent on their own, Polestar combines them across the cabin to prevent its minimalist aesthetic from coming across as bland or boring. It's also worth noting that even this pre-production tester I drove had no noticeable quality control issues, easily justifying its price tag.

As mentioned in the intro, the 2022 Polestar 2 Single Motor gets a massive discount over last year's Dual Motor variant. In the US, the Long Range Single Motor model starts at $45,900, $4,000 less than this year’s Dual Motor (which itself begins at $49,900). Last year, a Dual Motor started at $59,900, meaning the top configuration is now $10,000 cheaper for the new model year.

While the Polestar 2 Single Motor is still $5,910 more than a Model 3 Standard Range, the Polestar 2 Dual Motor is slightly cheaper than the equivalent Tesla, meaning these are now officially direct competitors.

In terms of optional extras, you'll have the ability to buy two main packages for the Single Motor. The first is the Plus Pack, which costs $4,000 and gets you items such as the aforementioned heat pump, panoramic glass roof, premium audio, and a heated steering wheel, to name a few. If tech is what you're after, you'll need the Pilot Pack, which adds $3,200 to the price and gets you Adaptive Cruise Control, Pilot Assist, a 360 Camera, and blind-spot monitoring.

Thanks to its new lower price tag, the Polestar 2 Single Motor is not only better equipped to challenge the Model 3, but it opens up the brand to a new customer base that was priced out by last year's offerings. After spending time with all versions of the Polestar 2, my personal favorite is the Single Motor equipped with the Pilot Pack.

Overall, I walked away from my first Polestar 2 experience feeling quite impressed. While it certainly isn't the fastest EV currently on sale, it may just be one of the best-looking, well-built options that too many people have overlooked.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:40 PM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...nd-0-62mph-44s

Polestar has released a downloadable software update for the 2, unlocking an additional slug of horsepower and torque and a quicker 0-62mph time. Welcome back to one of the best things about running an electric performance car.

A new upgrade – “the first time Polestar has applied its tuning heritage to its own electric cars” and first previewed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed – is now available in the UK and across selected countries in Europe, and adds 67bhp and 15lb ft of torque to the (deep breath) Polestar 2 Long Range Dual Motor.

So that’s a grand total of 470bhp and 502lb ft of torque, all from a touch of (presumably) a few buttons. Much easier than bolting on some throttle bodies and a new air filter, right?

Elsewhere, the Polestar 2 Long Name’s 0-62mph time has been cut from 4.7s down to 4.4s. Indeed, it’ll accelerate between 50-75mph (80-120kmh) in 2.2s, which is a full half second quicker than before. That’s quite startling progress. Electricity, huh.

It’ll be available in the ‘Polestar Extras’ online store as a download delivered directly to your 2 (if eligible) – it’s currently available in the UK, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, Denmark, Germany and Austria. US and Canadian 2s will get the update next year, with more countries to follow.

Polestar tells us this new upgrade “allows enthusiastic 2 drivers to increase the output of the all-wheel drive powertrain and enjoy a sharper driving experience”.

Any more performance bumps and the Polestar 2 will be knocking on the door of BMW M3 power...
Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,493 Likes on 6,359 Posts

Inefficiency = 25-30% bigger battery required to compete = no profits = impending bankruptcy
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (12-07-2021)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:28 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
it was a year ago that Polestar announced it’d offer a single-motor version of the 2. We drove it in September, but the model is just now reaching US dealers. It’s available to order now with a $47,200 starting price (price includes the $1,300 destination charge). That price could drop lower with applicable state and federal incentives. It could get as low as $33,400 in New Jersey.

The single-motor Polestar 2 joins the already available dual-motor model. The all-electric vehicle delivers an EPA-estimated range of 270 miles on a single charge. The single-motor setup powers the front wheels, producing 231 horsepower (172 kilowatts) and 243 pound-feet (329 Newton-meters) of torque. It gets its power from a 78-kilowatt-hour-battery pack – 75 kWh are usable. The car supported up to 155-kW DC Charging that can take the EV from 10 to 80 percent in 33 minutes.
Polestar 2 Single-Motor Model Arrives In US, Starts At $47,200 (motor1.com)
Old 04-04-2022, 08:52 AM
Race Director

American car rental giant Hertz and Swedish EV-maker Polestar are joining forces, having just announced a global partnership that includes a purchase order for up to 65,000 electric vehicles over five years. Hertz’s Polestar fleet, which will initially feature Polestar 2 models, will begin taking shape this Spring in Europe, with North American and Australian availability set for late 2022.
6 photos

Hertz is investing heavily in electrification and shared mobility, with this partnership looking to build on the company’s announcement from last year, when they said they’re trying to have the largest EV rental fleet in North America, and one of the largest in the world.

Their Polestar fleet will be available to not just business and leisure customers, but also rideshare drivers.

“We are excited to partner with Polestar and look forward to introducing their premium EV product into our retail and rideshare fleets,” said Hertz CEO, Stephen Scherr.

“Today’s partnership with Polestar further builds on our ambition to become a leading participant in the modern mobility ecosystem and doing so as an environmentally forward company. By working with EV industry leaders like Polestar, we can help accelerate the adoption of electrification while providing renters, corporate customers and rideshare partners a premium EV product, exceptional experience and lower carbon footprint.”

As for the Polestar 2, which as previously stated, will be Hertz’s first volume model from the Swedish brand, it brings avant-garde Scandinavian design and some of the latest in-car technology available. It also features the world’s first Android-powered infotainment system, as far as the premium EV segment is concerned.

“We are delighted that Hertz has chosen Polestar as a strategic partner on their road to electrification. The partnership with a global pioneer like Hertz will bring the amazing experience of driving an electric car to a wider audience, satisfying a broad variety of our mutual customers’ short- and longer-term mobility requirements,” stated Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath.

Last month, Hertz also announced that it has added the Tesla Model Y to its EV fleet, after having already signed a purchase order for 100,000 Teslas – mostly the Model 3.
Hertz Teams up With Polestar to Purchase up to 65,000 Electric Vehicles Over Five Years - autoevolution
Old 04-04-2022, 11:28 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
So Chinese cars are finally approaching US shores. The EV onslaught is unstoppable
Old 04-05-2022, 09:20 AM

I'd be up for a rental being a way to try out an EV.
Though, most of my business travel is to the Permian Basin (Midland/Odessa) area of TX, so not sure how the EV infrastructure is out there.
Nor would it be overly well received to pull up to an O&G office in an EV

The Polestar might go unnoticed, since they're a lot less common, but a Tesla would get immediate attention, and likely not positive.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:34 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/polestar/2023-2/

Polestar 2 is being updated with new solutions connected to climate impact and transparency, along with design detail and specification updates that allow for new visual expressions and improved efficiency.

Polestar CEO, Thomas Ingenlath, comments: "We have revisited materials and processes that go into making Polestar 2, introducing updates that reduce the climate impact and increase material traceability of this award-winning car. These are important additions to how we can improve cars over their lifetime - not just with functionality and design updates but addressing sustainability and carbon footprint as well."

Polestar's partnership with Circulor now includes blockchain traceability of mica, in addition to cobalt that is already traced in Polestar 2 batteries. The blockchain technology allows Polestar to trace risk minerals from material source to finished product.

The battery in the Polestar 2 Standard range Single motor sees improved cell chemistry that provides a higher capacity (now 69 kWh). This leads to increased range (now up to 474 km WLTP), faster charging (now up to 130 kW DC) and higher motor output (170 kW). The aluminium tray that carries the battery casing for all versions will see a CO2e reduction of 750 kg per car, thanks to the decision to only purchase aluminium for this component from smelters that use renewable energy.

Fredrika Klarén, Polestar's Head of Sustainability, says: "In our programme updates we want to take action on improvements that can make a positive sustainability impact quickly, rather than traditional mid-cycle facelifts. Product optimisation programmes are common in the car industry, but we are taking an extended approach at Polestar, combining these with CO2e reduction programmes as well.

"A first pilot has been rolled out, replacing the aluminium in the wheels with low-carbon aluminium that is produced using renewable energy. We expect this to result in a 600 kg CO2e reduction per car for Polestar 2 in the second half of the year. Together with the improvements to aluminium in the battery tray, we're expecting to see a total reduction of around 1,350 kg per car."

Design detail updates bring new expressions to all Polestar 2 variants. Polestar's strategy on interior materials is to increase the use of renewable, recyclable and recycled materials, and to always include a vegan upholstery option. In Polestar 2, an improved optional Nappa leather upholstery with greater sustainability credentials is now available.

"We require that all leather used in Polestar products must live up to the strictest standards on animal welfare and the Five Freedoms, alongside being fully traceable and chrome-free," continues Fredrika Klarén. "A new leather supplier, Bridge of Weir, meets our requirements."

The complete scope of design and feature updates includes:
  • New exterior colours: Space (replaces Void) and Jupiter (replaces Moon)
  • Magnesium is now the default standard colour with no cost
  • New designs for the standard 19-inch and optional 20-inch wheels
  • New Zinc colour for ventilated Nappa leather upholstery (replaces Barley), available with new Light Ash deco (replaces Reconstructed Wood)
  • Removable sunshade for the panoramic glass roof (also available in Polestar Extras web shop from mid-June 2022 for all Polestar 2 with glass roof)
  • The performance software upgrade with maximum output of 350 kW and 680 Nm is now included in the Performance Pack in Europe
  • The heat pump (included in Plus Pack) has an improved optimal temperature range, now between -7°C and 25°C
  • Advanced cabin filter and upgraded interior particulate matter sensor with new in-car app that quantifies exterior air quality improvement in the cabin (Plus Pack)

Old 05-05-2022, 05:56 AM
Race Director

Polestar will start U.S. sales of the 2023 Polestar 2 in September and is confident enough to compete with the Tesla Model 3. This is obvious when looking at Polestar’s pricing strategy, with the electric sedan starting just below $50,000 before factoring in any rebates or federal tax incentives.

The Chinese carmaker had a clever advertising campaign during the Superbowl with its “No Clichés” commercial, but its’ gonna need more than that if it wants to crack the U.S. market. Polestar shows a lot of confidence though and has announced a starting price of $48,400 for the 2023 Polestar 2. This is more than Tesla’s Model 3, which starts at $46,990 for the RWD variant. To be sure, the Polestar 2 will benefit from the $7,500 federal tax rebate while Tesla has exhausted this option.

When opting for the dual motor configuration, the Polestar 2 undercuts Tesla with its $51,900 price. The equivalent Model 3 Long Range costs $55,990. While the Polestar 2 has a lower range than the Model 3 (260 miles vs 334 miles), it might prove a popular alternative considering the more favorable price and the federal tax rebate.

The Chinese company with Swedish DNA recently updated the Polestar 2 with useful features, including a heat pump with the Plus Pack (a $4,200 upgrade). The heat pump boosts efficiency in winter, allowing the car to travel longer distances before needing to recharge. Also in the Plus Pack, there's an advanced cabin air filter helping improve air quality within the vehicle.

Polestar also offers a Pilot Pack and a Performance Pack to further improve the owner’s experience. The former costs $3,400 and is similar to Tesla’s Autopilot, adding various assistance systems to the car. Among them are the Adaptive Cruise Control, Pilot Assist, Park Assist, and others. The Performance pack will be available at a later time to all Dual-Motor configurations via an OTA update. It unlocks 68 more horsepower over the regular 408-horsepower configuration, although its price is still unknown.
Pricing for the 2023 Polestar 2 Announced, Will Take More Than a Clever Campaign - autoevolution
Old 05-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
I can't put my finger on it but I just don't like the styling of these... I think it looks like one of those ugly Outback sedans that Subaru used to sell way back when. Lower it and get rid of the stupid plastic cladding.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:20 AM

^ You'd think those 2 things would drop a bit of drag from it as well.
I like the P2, and missed out on a chance to test one out last year. They had all packed up for the day by the time I realized they were giving test drives.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:36 AM
Ex-OEM King

I have no idea how much it affects drag but it looks like this to me...

Old 05-05-2022, 04:00 PM

I think the styling is... decent? Agree it needs a 1" drop. I'd really like to see it in person.

OK so for the folks here who are smarter than I on such matters......

I've always liked Volvo but every time I think I might pull the trigger my research always points to systemic electric problems. Like well above average problems. So I've always wondered what's the reliability going to be when the whole car is electric...

Last edited by 1Louder; 05-05-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I think the styling is... decent? Agree it needs a 1" drop. I'd really like to see it in person.

OK so for the folks here who are smarter than I on such matters......

I've always liked Volvo but every time I think I might pull the trigger my research always points to systemic electric problems. Like well above average problems. So I've always wondered what's the reliability going to be when the whole car is electric...
Electric cars are far more simple than ICE cars so if the electrical issues are with the engine and trans and stuff then the EV will help a lot. If the issues are with the rest of the car it won't make any difference.

Most modern cars don't have electrical issues like they used to in the past though. Most issues are software based rather than hardware these days.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:27 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Electric cars are far more simple than ICE cars so if the electrical issues are with the engine and trans and stuff then the EV will help a lot. If the issues are with the rest of the car it won't make any difference.

Most modern cars don't have electrical issues like they used to in the past though. Most issues are software based rather than hardware these days.
This. I've been driving Volvo's the past 8 years and haven't experienced any electrical issues. I had software issues. The infotainment on my last XC60 would crash and then slowly reboot. It happened once or twice a month for the first couple of years. I received an update during one of my regular service visits and the infotainment stopped crashing after that.

I am not a fan of the Polestar 2 styling either, exterior or interior wise.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:25 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/polestar/...t_edition_270/

Polestar is expanding its tuning-based Polestar Engineered product offering with the introduction of the Polestar 2 BST edition 270. The new version leverages decades of tuning experience to deliver Polestar's most dynamic electric driver's car yet. As implied in the name, only 270 units will be built, exclusively for Europe, North America and China.

"We had a great reaction to the specially modified Polestar 2 we showed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2021 and the response made it clear - we should create a version like that for production," says Thomas Ingenlath, Polestar CEO.

The production car includes mechanical modifications along with key design enhancements to elevate itself above standard Polestar 2 models. The result is a car that delivers a superior dynamic experience behind the wheel.

The two electric motors and 78 kWh battery have been enhanced for a maximum power output of 350 kW (476 hp) and 680 Nm of torque, along with heightened responsiveness to go with the sportier dynamics.

Chassis modifications include lowered ride height (-25 mm), specially developed and unique Öhlins 2-way adjustable dampers with auxiliary adjustment chambers mounted under the bonnet, a front strut bar, 20% stiffer springs and unique new matte black 21-inch alloy wheels that are inspired by those of Polestar 1. Tyres are 245/35R21 Pirelli P Zero, developed specifically for this car. The standard 4-piston Brembo brakes remain.

The limited-edition model is available in either Thunder or Snow exterior colours with a Charcoal WeaveTech interior. The body features a more substantial expression thanks to fully-painted bumpers and side skirts. A matte black body stripe is available as an option, as well as a full-body Battleship Gray satin wrap. Side mirrors are finished in glossy black. The signature 'Swedish gold' details remain, including on the brake callipers, damper elements, valve caps and seatbelts.

Production is planned to begin in mid-2022, with deliveries expected from the fourth quarter.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM

I know the styling isn't some folks cup of tea, but I'm loving that look (maybe minus the stripe or maybe the "2"). Wish they'd incorporate some of that into the regular version.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:08 PM

The version, sans stripe, looks better, IMO.
imj0257 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
I saw a Polestar (not sure if it was a 2) at a local festival and sans the matte black wrap (awful), it was sexy.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:34 AM

Probably a 2, if I had to guess. IIRC, they only have the 1 & 2, and the 1 would definitely stand out, compared to the sedan/liftback 2.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:16 AM
Race Director

Polestar is making significant changes to the 2 for the 2024 model year. The entry-level version of the electric sedan makes the switch from front- to rear-wheel-drive, and all variants regardless of drivetrain configuration get a new-look design, more range, and additional features.

Going from front- to rear-wheel-drive is a major change that would be considerably more difficult to achieve with a gasoline-powered car but that's reasonably straight-forward in an electric vehicle. Polestar took advantage of the new layout to update the motors: both the rear- and the all-wheel-drive versions of the 2 receive next-generation motors and inverters, and they're much quicker than the models they replace.

The rear-wheel-drive 2's motor is rated at 299 horsepower and 361 pound-feet of torque, up from 231 and 243, respectively, in the outgoing front-wheel-drive model. The extra power lowers the zero-to-60-mph time to 5.9 seconds (1.1 quicker than before). The dual-motor all-wheel-drive system's output checks in at 421 horsepower and 546 pound-feet of torque, and engineers dialed in a rear bias for sharper handling.

Driving range improves as well. The single-motor 2 gets an EPA-estimated 300-mile rating (up from 265 miles before) thanks in part to a new, bigger battery pack with a usable capacity of 82 kilowatt-hours, while the dual-motor version keeps its 78-kilowatt-hour pack but is now rated at 270 miles thanks in part to a function that disconnects the front motor when it's not needed. Polestar notes that the rear-wheel-drive 2 is compatible with 205-kilowatt DC fast charging. Interestingly, the all-wheel-drive model isn't; it tops out at 155 kilowatt-hours.

The optional Performance Pack remains available, and it now includes 20-inch alloy wheels whose design is inspired by the rims fitted to the 3 in addition to Brembo brakes, Öhlins dual-flow valve dampers, and gold-colored seatbelts. It also increases the all-wheel-drive 2's output to 455 horsepower and lowers the zero-to-60-mph time to 4.1 seconds. While only cars ordered new with the package get the 20-inch wheels, the Öhlins suspension, and the specific seatbelts, the power hike is also available with a downloadable, over-the-air software update.

Most of the visual changes are found up front, where designers replaced the 2's grille with what Polestar calls a SmartZone. Also found on the 3 revealed in 2022, the SmartZone is a piece of trim that houses hardware like the front-facing camera and the mid-range Radar.

Polestar hasn't revealed photos of the 2's interior but it doesn't sound like much has changed from a design perspective. However, the all-wheel-drive 2's list of standard features grows with the addition of the Pilot Pack, which bundles a blind spot information system with steering support, cross-traffic alert with brake support, a rear collision warning mitigation system, adaptive cruise control, a 360-degree camera, Pilot Assist technology, auto-dimming door mirrors, and LED front fog lights with cornering assist. The wireless phone charger is standard as well.

On sale now, the 2024 Polestar 2 will enter production later in 2023.
2024 Polestar 2 switches to rear-wheel-drive as part of major update - Autoblog
Old 01-24-2023, 08:17 AM
Race Director

Old 01-24-2023, 09:08 AM

Still think this is a nice looking EV.
On looks alone, I'd have this over the Tesla.
pttl (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,881 Posts
It's a shame it doesn't qualify for the tax credit; otherwise it would be a killer alternative. As it is, the Model 3 just undercuts this by too much with its tax credit eligibility.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:24 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
to both previous messages.

The updates are pretty solid too.