November Acura/Honda Sales

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 03:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
November Acura/Honda Sales

TSX November Sales = 1,745 YTD sales = 17,081

It looks like the TSX won't hit 20K in the 9 months in been on sale for 03. But it will sell well over 20k units for 12 months of sales.

5,608 04 TL's sold

Old 12-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, they already beat out the 15,000 target sales for the year so I'm happy.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Don't get run over!

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Well, they already beat out the 15,000 target sales for the year so I'm happy.
How are the Canadian sales for the TSX though?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:26 PM
spc
Instructor

This figure proves that 04 TL is sold much more that 04 TSX. Even divide half for 03, still thousand more than TSX.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by spc
This figure proves that 04 TL is sold much more that 04 TSX. Even divide half for 03, still thousand more than TSX.
I know the TSX is a hot seller...selling more than expected. I was a little concerned about the TL though. I mean, I can go to any of my local dealers and find a few TLs on the lot but not a single TSX so I had to wonder. It's nice to know sales are brisk.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

thats not bad for TSX sales... i wonder if it can continue its momentum next year after the novelty wears off..., but i'm wondering when i will see more of the new prius on the road, i see lots of TSX's but no new prius'.. they've sold 28,000 already according to the Financial Post a couple of weeks ago but maybe most of them in the US and only a few for canada, i haven't even seen one on the showrooms here in canada.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Racer

I see a Prius evertime I commute home on the 57, between 5-5:30. Same Prius everytime, cause it's an old lady who drives it. The first time I noticed it was cause I cut her off (hey when your in a del Sol's blind spot, BEWARE!). And ever since then, I always see the car on my drive home.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Are those all 04 TL sales, or is it 03's they were getting rid of and 04's?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:12 PM
More On

Originally posted by gilboman
thats not bad for TSX sales... i wonder if it can continue its momentum next year after the novelty wears off.....

It will build and build and BUILD!!! Just wait and see.
Especially with the awards/recognition/etc. TSX remains mostly unknown. And that is finally changing.

About those TL sales figures: I think they must include '03 as well as '04, since there doesn't seem to be a separate line for the '03.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:36 AM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont

It will build and build and BUILD!!! Just wait and see.
Especially with the awards/recognition/etc. TSX remains mostly unknown. And that is finally changing.

About those TL sales figures: I think they must include '03 as well as '04, since there doesn't seem to be a separate line for the '03.
I haven't seen any of the cool print ads or commercials since around the TSX's introduction. Given the relatively low sales target for this calendar year, it appears Honda is happy to let the car sell itself with very little advertising right now. And it's working!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
I haven't seen any of the cool print ads or commercials since around the TSX's introduction.

I acutually did see a TSX commercial on TV the other night for the first time, so, they may be starting to get the word out more.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by esr5096
I acutually did see a TSX commercial on TV the other night for the first time, so, they may be starting to get the word out more.
Right now they don't have the available production to justify advertising the TSX. Once they catch up, I would expect a nice blitz of advertising.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Jason
Right now they don't have the available production to justify advertising the TSX. Once they catch up, I would expect a nice blitz of advertising.
Is that still true? I drove through a local dealership the other night and saw 5 TSX's, and they weren't in the area where they park the sold cars waiting to be cleaned.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:31 AM

interesting, more tsxs were sold in nov then the rsx
Old 12-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by esr5096
Is that still true? I drove through a local dealership the other night and saw 5 TSX's, and they weren't in the area where they park the sold cars waiting to be cleaned.
I think it's true for a majority of dealers.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by dabuda2004
interesting, more tsxs were sold in nov then the rsx
RSX sales are down 29.7% from Nov 02 to 03 and 18.4% for 03 compared to 02. Its dying a slow death. If they don't launch a Type R version with 220+ HP soon, its dead.

There's just too much competition for it to survive in its current form. I can't understand why Honda chooses to sit still with that car? They brought the Type R over in 97, and it simply dominated the scene, whats the problem this time?

Or at least kill it and bring over the Civic Type R.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Kill it! Build the brand up, not let it be weighed down.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

This discussion has been going on for a while now...
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4844

But I agree with you, either kill it or redesign it as the next Civic Si (to replace that embarassment currently called the Civic Si). This would give Acura the room to create a TSX based coupe (not hatch). The RSX no longer up to par with it's interior quality to stay in the Acura lineup. Even though I really like the current RSX, I'd never buy one. I would be first in line for a TSX coupe though.

My
Old 12-03-2003, 11:43 AM

well not kill it...just give us the type-r damnit!

Old 12-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Ok, give us that and then kill it!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

:bubbarubb me drooling.

BUT I still don't think the ITR is enough to save the RSX. The price of that beast would be around 28 to 30k and at 30k the competition is way to stiff, namely EVO or STi. Now while most of us would probly choose the ITR over those cars the majority of people would rather have AWD and 0-60 in 5 seconds or less. The ITR can't give you that.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

even if the ITR comes over, it'll be too little too late... this is not like back in the 90's where the teg was the only game in town... now there are lots of competent and CHEAP cars that will give even a ITR a run for its money in the handling department and outmuscle it in the power department...but i wouldnt mind driving one though..
Old 12-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro

Originally posted by domn
BUT I still don't think the ITR is enough to save the RSX. The price of that beast would be around 28 to 30k and at 30k the competition is way to stiff, namely EVO or STi.
That much? If they positioned it like the last ITR, it would be a few thousand more than the RSX-S, putting it at mid-30's (Canadian). Which makes it a pretty even match against the (non-STi) WRX. About the same hp, Honda nameplate, less butch, but no AWD.

I think it would do ok, but Type-R's aren't produced in enough volumes to impact the bottom line very much (halo-effect not withstanding).
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by kiteboy
That much? If they positioned it like the last ITR, it would be a few thousand more than the RSX-S, putting it at mid-30's (Canadian). Which makes it a pretty even match against the (non-STi) WRX. About the same hp, Honda nameplate, less butch, but no AWD.

I think it would do ok, but Type-R's aren't produced in enough volumes to impact the bottom line very much (halo-effect not withstanding).
mid 30k cdn for a RSX is stupid expensive..even if it is a ITR... a tsx is only mid 30k cdn... there are just so many choices out there and the ITR is no longer the best FWD handling car and nowhere nears as powerful as others costing less...
Old 12-04-2003, 08:08 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by gilboman
and the ITR is no longer the best FWD handling car and nowhere nears as powerful as others costing less...
Really, prove it. You can't because it was never tested here. And don't tell me that the Celica or Mazdaspeed will outhandle an ITR. The last ITR was the best handling FWD car on the planet and is probly still in the top 3. I'd bet this thing is the best handling FWD car on the planet too.

Car and Driver tested an RSX-S with FP Package (now A-Spec) a while back, which is almost an ITR suspension and they commented that it could be the best FWD handling car out there or something to that effect. Now imagine a ITR with that same suspension and a beefed up chassis, lighter weight and better brakes.

And nowhere near as powerful as those costing less???

Like what? The only car that has more than 220HP is the WRX. All the other Sport compacts have 160-180HP, save the EVO and STi?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Really, prove it. You can't because it was never tested here. And don't tell me that the Celica or Mazdaspeed will outhandle an ITR. The last ITR was the best handling FWD car on the planet and is probly still in the top 3. I'd bet this thing is the best handling FWD car on the planet too.

Car and Driver tested an RSX-S with FP Package (now A-Spec) a while back, which is almost an ITR suspension and they commented that it could be the best FWD handling car out there or something to that effect. Now imagine a ITR with that same suspension and a beefed up chassis, lighter weight and better brakes.

And nowhere near as powerful as those costing less???

Like what? The only car that has more than 220HP is the WRX. All the other Sport compacts have 160-180HP, save the EVO and STi?
Mini, best handling FWD car ever (for now in stock form) ...and that C&D numbers were not impressive at all, if you can find it on the net... the best i've seen for a FWD is a Hotchkis tuned celica... 1.04g's and track times 2sec faster than a much more powerful evo.....

here "Sport Compact Car itself brings up the comparison with this little blurb in its Oct. 2002 issue: " Through the slalom, it (the Spoon Sports S2000 racecar) came within 1.3 mph (75.6mph) of the record-holding Hotchkis Celica (76.9 mph)..." Some other numbers gathered during SCC's testing of Spoon's racecar were a DOMINATING 1.17 G's on the skidpad (a new SCC record ) and a 60-0 stopping distance of 115 ft. The Hotchkis Celica achieved 1.03 G's and stopped from 60mph in 97 ft. The S2000 was tested in full-race trim with Yokohama Advan race tires and a stripped interior"

moreover, the s2000 had a stripped interior, the hotchkis was in full stock trim...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Gibo, the Hitchikis Celica is'nt a production car. I'm talking production here. The ITR is a production car.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Gibo, the Hitchikis Celica is'nt a production car. I'm talking production here. The ITR is a production car.
thats true... but given the choice i would buy a celica and put on the hotchkis pieces (no engine work was done) and still save some money.. but thats just me though... my point was just the ITR is not nearly as special or better than other cars that the prev gen was.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

This discussion has been going on for a while now...
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4844

But I agree with you, either kill it or redesign it as the next Civic Si (to replace that embarassment currently called the Civic Si). This would give Acura the room to create a TSX based coupe (not hatch). The RSX no longer up to par with it's interior quality to stay in the Acura lineup. Even though I really like the current RSX, I'd never buy one. I would be first in line for a TSX coupe though.

My
Wow, that post sure doesnt make you out to be an "AcuraFan," wow, what a bashing, not sure how much seat time you've had in the Rsx, but compared to the Integra, its deffinatly a very large improvement...

Geese, where was the TSX when Acura cars were released back in `87? I sure hope they dont kill one of the cars that has been around since the begining, only recently have I ran accross these rumors, and I really hope they are not true, I would buy mine again in a heartbeat, wouldnt think twice about it, and I've owned it for over 26months now and its by far the best of any honda/acura I've owned.

I hope to see her re-freshed in `05 with hid's, heated front seats, optional navi, and satellite radio. Granted that would run the Type-S up to I'm guessing around $25g's, I'd trade in my `02 with little or no hesitation, and hopefully I'll be able to do just that at the end of 2004...
Old 12-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mininsx
Wow, that post sure doesnt make you out to be an "AcuraFan," wow, what a bashing, not sure how much seat time you've had in the Rsx, but compared to the Integra, its deffinatly a very large improvement...

Geese, where was the TSX when Acura cars were released back in `87? I sure hope they dont kill one of the cars that has been around since the begining, only recently have I ran accross these rumors, and I really hope they are not true, I would buy mine again in a heartbeat, wouldnt think twice about it, and I've owned it for over 26months now and its by far the best of any honda/acura I've owned.

I hope to see her re-freshed in `05 with hid's, heated front seats, optional navi, and satellite radio. Granted that would run the Type-S up to I'm guessing around $25g's, I'd trade in my `02 with little or no hesitation, and hopefully I'll be able to do just that at the end of 2004...
Huh? I don't get it. Because I think Acura should move their cheapest car down to a nameplate that fits it better, I'm not an "AcuraFan"?

I've always been a supporter of the Integra and the RSX. They were/are fantastic cars. The problem is, cheaper cars bring down a luxury name. I think the TSX, one of the best cars in its class, should be the bottom rung of the Acura ladder. I've driven both a TSX and a RSX Type S. The RSX was a blast to drive but it really was missing some refinement befitting a luxury brand. There should be a replacement for the Integra/RSX but it should be of the quality of the TSX...a TSX coupe. It can still be called an "RSX", it can still be a replacement for the Integra. I think the RSX in its current form would work better as a über Civic Si (or Civic Type R) or a good replacement for Prelude.

And No, the RSX has not "been around since the begining". It's a replacement for a "founding member". Now I'm saying it's not up to the new luxury standard of a luxury brand. But that's my opinion.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:33 PM

The problem is, cheaper cars bring down a luxury name
True. But lackluster flagship cars don't help either.

You can get a 350Z or RX-8 for the price of a RSX. Nuff said.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

You can get a 350Z or RX-8 for the price of a RSX. Nuff said.
Did'nt know RX-8's and 350Z's were selling for 23K. Have their prices dropped that much already?

RSX-S MSRP = $23,320
350Z MSRP = $26,370 to $36,220
RX-8 MSRP = $25,180 to $26,680

So how exactly can you get a 350 or 8 for the price of an RSX?
And lets not forget that 350's and 8's are probly not yet selling at discounts, unlike the RSX, which is.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did'nt know RX-8's and 350Z's were selling for 23K. Have their prices dropped that much already?

RSX-S MSRP = $23,320
350Z MSRP = $26,370 to $36,220
RX-8 MSRP = $25,180 to $26,680

So how exactly can you get a 350 or 8 for the price of an RSX?
And lets not forget that 350's and 8's are probly not yet selling at discounts, unlike the RSX, which is.
Not to mention the 350Z and RX-8 base MSRP is for the base model. Start adding options and they easily go over $30K and beyond while the MSRP on the RSX Type S gets you a loaded car.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

True, but that's all changing. The TL has gone upscale...the RL is coming upon a major redesign as is the NSX. Soon, the car that will seem out of place in this luxury company is the current gen RSX.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:17 PM

The RSX with the silly A-spec kit is 28k. And the cars are in similar price ranges. People strecth to the 350Z/RX-8 even though they are more expensive.

WRX owns the RSX too, SRT-4, etc. RSX pretty much invented the 20k sporty FWD genre but the competition has totally passed it. In driving the RSX, it was great 4 years ago, now it's only for Acura/Honda fanatics.

Even the Type-R which we don't get, would be outgunned. 220hp in Japan. Tidy handling though but the WRX/Z/RX-8 are hailed for their handling, with AWD/RWD platforms.
The TL has gone upscale
Being on countless forums, the only people buying or remotely excited about the TL are Honda/Acura faithful. I don't think it going upscale has helped at all.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Being on countless forums, the only people buying or remotely excited about the TL are Honda/Acura faithful. I don't think it going upscale has helped at all.
Have you looked at the sales number for the new TL? I guess there are a lot more Honda/Acura faithfuls than you think.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

The problem is, cheaper cars bring down a luxury name.
You really think so? I believe that less expensive, lets not say "cheaper" cars let younger or less wealthy people enjoy a somewhat luxury car, when I bought my Integra at age 17 I was extremely suprised at how I was treated when I took it in to get warranty work done, or whatever, so because of the way I was treated, and the fact that Acura builds superior cars, even the less expensive ones, as I get older, I will prob. buy another Acura. So the way I look at it is that Acura is smart to have a less expenseive or entry level car...

Just my opinion...
Old 12-30-2003, 10:24 PM
bleh...

Originally posted by phile
Have you looked at the sales number for the new TL? I guess there are a lot more Honda/Acura faithfuls than you think.
I see a lot of new TLs on the streets. It looks like sales are really good.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mininsx
You really think so? I believe that less expensive, lets not say "cheaper" cars let younger or less wealthy people enjoy a somewhat luxury car, when I bought my Integra at age 17 I was extremely suprised at how I was treated when I took it in to get warranty work done, or whatever, so because of the way I was treated, and the fact that Acura builds superior cars, even the less expensive ones, as I get older, I will prob. buy another Acura. So the way I look at it is that Acura is smart to have a less expenseive or entry level car...

Just my opinion...
Cheaper cars in a luxury line do lend to their accessability...this is true. But it also brings down the image of the luxury brand. A luxury brand is supposed to carry itself with it a sense of exclusivity. How does a luxury company, that offers a car a 17 year old can afford, lend itself to this? Just a thought.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
I see a lot of new TLs on the streets. It looks like sales are really good.
I have no doubt the new TL is selling well...but the number you see on the streets really isn't an indication of how well they're selling. To date, I've seen one.

Quick Reply: November Acura/Honda Sales