North American Auto Industry Crisis news **Pontiac's Last Day (page 28)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 AM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^But its not Ford, GM, nor Chrysler. I personally think the challenger and charger are crap I don't like how they look. I don't like the new malibu or the GTO. Or even the G8. I guess I'm just picky but those cars don't appeal to me. I rather have a camry or a new accord. Or even a Mondeo. I'm just saying no fords, gms, or chryslers don't appeal to me.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Lutz and the two guys that have run Ford for the last four to six years are the problem. They're losing money BIG TIME in NA, but making it in the rest of the world. In the rest of the world, Ford, Holden and Vauxhall are making great cars, not just muscle cars. Saturn is nothing but GM Europe in NA.

I have read many, many times in forums I'd love to own that, but can't because it's not a NA car. I know there a few I'd love to have, from your list the G8 is the only one I'd even look at if I was buying today.
Lutz doesn't run GM. He's responsible for new product developments, which have been pretty good lately. The blame should be targeted at Wagoner and all the bean counters who have been running the company to the ground for the past decades.

And while the newer GMs aren't at the top of their class, you can't deny they've gotten better in terms of design (where GM was hurting really bad), quality and marketing. Build quality still isn't the best, but again that's the bean counters selecting lower cost materials and the UAW workers doing half assed jobs. Lutz can only do so much with what he is given.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by phile
Lutz doesn't run GM. He's responsible for new product developments, which have been pretty good lately. The blame should be targeted at Wagoner and all the bean counters who have been running the company to the ground for the past decades.

And while the newer GMs aren't at the top of their class, you can't deny they've gotten better in terms of design (where GM was hurting really bad)
, quality and marketing. Build quality still isn't the best, but again that's the bean counters selecting lower cost materials and the UAW workers doing half assed jobs. Lutz can only do so much with what he is given.
Big time. My mom gets company cars from GM and you can tell the difference. We had a Cadillac Deville and it was horrible. Mechanically it ran fine but the interior buttons all rubbed off so you had no idea what you where pressing (radio, AC, steering wheel). I had a friend with a Chevy Trailblazer that had the same problem. We now have DTS and its been great. Not only is it designed better but the interior is holding way way better. Still room for a few improvements but way better.

As far as these guys asking for a bailout its a joke. I love how congress is yelling at them for mismanaging their money yet congress is going to have a huge deficit next year. The CEO's need to grow some balls and stop begging for money. They need to be honest and start saying "the truth is the unions are screwing us and if you keep them around nothing will change."
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

And while the newer GMs aren't at the top of their class, you can't deny they've gotten better in terms of design (where GM was hurting really bad), quality and marketing. Build quality still isn't the best, but again that's the bean counters selecting lower cost materials and the UAW workers doing half assed jobs. Lutz can only do so much with what he is given.
He's had a few, nothing in the terms of bringing the company back. Nothing in small cars, midside cars or family movers. They have only been able to do things with vehicles over 30K, way out of touch with the majority of the people buying cars.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Wrong on all counts. Mitsubishi offered him more because they saw what he did at Hyundai. Hyundai did not fire him.

He totally deserves the credit for the warranty idea. It was a new idea that showed Hyundai's commitment to its products and it worked. Hyundai, in terms of marketing, would not be where it is today without him.

Please get your facts straight. I know the Korean pride is strong with some of our members, but seriously you people need to take it down a few notches.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
He's had a few, nothing in the terms of bringing the company back. Nothing in small cars, midside cars or family movers. They have only been able to do things with vehicles over 30K, way out of touch with the majority of the people buying cars.
Thats not true.

The Chevy Malibu/Saturn Aura was a big step in the right direction. And the new malibu has gotten nothing but good reviews since its release.

The Cobalt isnt the great civic fighter in the world, but its leagues above the Cavalier it replaced. And the Cruze (another euro adoption) stands be a real contender in the compact market.

I'll also be interested in seeing what their Scion fighters do when they are released.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
The Malibu from the side or the rear looks like shit, the Cobalt is just like the Cavalier, cheap and bland. The Cruze is two years away, three or more knowing how GM eff's things up.

Looks like it doesn't matter about Pontiac and Saturn, news reports say those name plates are gone with a GM restructure.

GM also needs to get away from cramming OnStar down people throats. If I want to go somewhere, I can figure it out myself, I don't want to be forced to call OnStar to have them give me directions. Just put a real Navi system in the damn car.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Dodd Says GM Chief Should Step Down

One of the chief architects of a plan to bail out the Detroit auto companies said today that General Motors Chairman G. Richard Wagoner should be forced to give up his post as a condition of receiving emergency loans from the federal government.

"I think you have got to consider new leadership. If you're going to really restructure this, you have got to bring in a new team to do this, in my view," Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Asked specifically about Wagoner, Dodd said: "I think he has to move on."

Dodd's comments came as aides from his committee continued to meet with staffers from the House Financial Services Committee in an attempt to work out a proposal to speed at least $15 billion to the teetering car companies. Democrats hope to send a counterproposal later today to the White House.

The Bush administration is calling for a car czar within the Commerce Department who would be empowered to force the automakers to restructure or force them into bankruptcy. Democrats want to give the companies the money first, permitting them to survive through the end of March, and name an administrator later, "during the next 60 to 90 days," Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) said on Fox News Sunday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Old 12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
This is a joke right? Pot kettle black.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trackruner228

I don't disagree that Wagoner should take a back seat to this, but I don't think it should be up to Dodd....or any senator for that matter.

We are way too close to having a nationalized auto industry.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, like this guys knows anything about how to keep things from crashing down around you....wait...er...Where's Angelo?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Race Director

I don't disagree that Wagoner should take a back seat to this, but I don't think it should be up to Dodd....or any senator for that matter.

We are way too close to having a nationalized auto industry.
Yeah I am not disagreeing with the statement just the fact that he would actually say that. He should be the one stepping down.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 PM

Yeah I am not disagreeing with the statement just the fact that he would actually say that. He should be the one stepping down.

Maybe Wagoner will say he'll step down only if Dodd steps down.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SRK85
^^But its not Ford, GM, nor Chrysler. I personally think the challenger and charger are crap I don't like how they look. I don't like the new malibu or the GTO. Or even the G8. I guess I'm just picky but those cars don't appeal to me. I rather have a camry or a new accord. Or even a Mondeo. I'm just saying no fords, gms, or chryslers don't appeal to me.
To each his own

I personally think the new Camry looks great aside from its awkward snout, meanwhile the new Accord sedan has styling that's hard to get used to even though its been out for a while now. I've driven Camrys dating back to the 80's and even the new ones in all sorts of condition and personally I'd never get one. And I would never choose to drive ANY current Honda/Acura (S2000 aside possibly) or Toyota/Lexus over any new V8 Challenger, Camaro, GTO, G8 or even Mustang.

And your hollow claim that Chevrolet simply takes designs from Europe and transfers them over here remains unproven. I just proved Honda/Acura does EXACTLY as you said Chevrolet does.

GM, Ford and Chrysler just have the same problem Hyundai does.... they had years and years of making shitty cars then making a huge improvement in the last decade or so, but the tarnished reputation of the 80's and 90's has yet to recover.... not to mention for the Big 3, the idiocy of the UAW and senior management.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
+1
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
So we have been right all this time of the fact the the Big 3 have been lieing to us.

http://business.theglobeandmail.com/.../Business/home

Reuters

December 8, 2008 at 8:44 AM EST

DETROIT — — General Motors Corp. [GM-N]on Monday unveiled an unusually frank advertisement acknowledging it had “disappointed” and sometimes even “betrayed” American consumers as it lobbies to clinch the federal aid it needs to stay afloat into next month.

The print advertisement marked a sharp break from GM's public stance of just several weeks ago when it sought to justify its bid for a U.S. government on the grounds that the credit crisis had undermined its business in ways executives could never have foreseen.

It also came as Chief Executive Rick Wagoner, who has led the automaker since 2000, faces new pressure to step aside as GM seeks up to $18-billion (U.S.) in federal funding.

“While we're still the U.S. sales leader, we acknowledge we have disappointed you,” the ad said. “At times we violated your trust by letting our quality fall below industry standards and our designs became lacklustre.”

The unsigned open letter, entitled “GM's Commitment to the American People” ran in the trade journal Automotive News, which is widely read by industry executives, lobbyists and other insiders.

In the ad, GM admits to other strategic missteps analysts and critics have said hastened its recent decline.

“We have proliferated our brands and dealer network to the point where we lost adequate focus on the core U.S. market,” the ad said. “We also biased our product mix toward pick-up trucks and SUVs.”

But GM also says in the ad that it was hit by forces beyond its control as it tried to complete a restructuring earlier this year.

“Despite moving quickly to reduce our planned spending by over $20-billion, GM finds itself precariously and frighteningly close to running out of cash,” the ad says.

A failure of GM would deepen the current recession and put “millions of job at risk,” according to the ad, which also highlights the automaker's pledged restructuring and intention to begin repaying taxpayers in 2011.

GM spokesman Greg Martin said the ad was an attempt by the automaker to present “a pledge directly to the public.”

“We believe we need to deliver this commitment unfiltered since quite a bit of media commentary has not kept pace with our actual progress to transform the company,” Mr. Martin said.

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd, a Democrat from Connecticut who is central to the effort to craft an auto bailout bill, on Sunday said GM should replace Mr. Wagoner. GM says Mr. Wagoner has the support of the company's board.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
How much did Bush spend on the war again?
Dunno what this has to do with the Big 3 bailout

....as for Dubya it's clear he is passing the buck on the bailout for the autos.
He can't wait to run out of the White House.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

+2 those morons should hit the bricks.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

The End of Saturn Thread

Discuss here...unless the mods want to throw it into a GM thread.

General Motors has cut off new product funding to its lame-duck Saturn brand, a source close to GM says. The automaker announced last week that, as a part of its bid for low-interest federal loans, it will close or sell its Saturn unit. Most analysts say that Saturn is of limited value, however, so it appears likely that the brand will close its doors for good soon.

Officially, GM said it will “explore alternatives” for Saturn, but given the weak sales the brand has endured despite a recent product renaissance, most analysts agree that the brand is worth little to another automaker.

Unfortunately for the automaker, simply dropping the Saturn brand is more expensive than it sounds. GM would likely spend upwards of $1 billion to buy out its Saturn dealer network, according to dealer broker Mark Johnson.

The automaker’s Franchise Operations Team, an eight dealer council, will meet with Saturn and GM executives Thursday and Friday in Detroit to discuss how Saturn could be made profitable, a Saturn spokesman told Automotive News.

That plan could conclude that Saturn cannot be made into a profit-maker in time for GM to start paying back the federal loans it’s banking on receiving.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-cuts-...tml#more-12411

Saturn was on such an upswing....a promising brand in the GM lineup....once they for once got into a great direction for product...they get the axe.

For those who don't know: Automakes cannot just close down dealerships...they have to be bought out! Individual states car sales tax revenue is a huge part of most states budgets....hence why it's not easy to just simply close a dealership.

When GM kills of brands, states around the country are going to stand to loose big $$$.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good ridden. now loose pontiac and merge GMC with Chevy.....
Old 12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
sad for all the employees and such, but i've never like Saturn
Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
6spder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SG81
sad for all the employees and such, but i've never like Saturn
sad sure but someone has to go or else the whole company goes, which imho isn't that big or a problem.

we have enough cars running around this country to survive a LONG time with out some new cars. just take what ever is left over and invest it into the parts market....
Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Alperovich
sad sure but someone has to go or else the whole company goes, which imho isn't that big or a problem.

we have enough cars running around this country to survive a LONG time with out some new cars. just take what ever is left over and invest it into the parts market....
It's not about the amount of cars on the market.....it's about the amount of consumers in the market place.....ie people who work for GM and it's brands.

You put all those peeps out of work....in a consumer economy that we have here in the U.S........it's like dragging a ball & chain around the US economy.

The bailout is not about the cars...it's about the jobs.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
For those who don't know: Automakes cannot just close down dealerships...they have to be bought out! Individual states car sales tax revenue is a huge part of most states budgets....hence why it's not easy to just simply close a dealership.

When GM kills of brands, states around the country are going to stand to loose big $$$.
How so? Are less cars sold each month simply because a particular brand ceases to exist?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Not just a smell

Let's say GM+Chrsyler disappear. Well, then a lot more Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, etc will be sold. Those companies and their suppliers will need workers, not as much, but they can cherry pick and leave the lazy, unskilled, former union leeches to be Walmart greeters or something.

So no, there won't be an economic collapse, just a shedding of communism/unionism inefficiency like in the rest of the world.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Saturn was on such an upswing....a promising brand in the GM lineup....once they for once got into a great direction for product...they get the axe.

Sad thing is I cant fault them for it, took WAY too long to realize they needed to do this and now its too late.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by mrsteve
How so? Are less cars sold each month simply because a particular brand ceases to exist?
More brands = more cars to sell.
Less brands = less cars to sell.

Does it always work....no.....there are always exceptions to the rule...but in general it works.

Hence why GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota have multiple brands to try to get into many niches to sell more cars.

If this wasn't the case, there would be no Lexus, Pontiac, Cadillac, Saturn, Lincoln, Scion.....etc.

Simple marketing.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
More brands = more cars to sell.
Less brands = less cars to sell.

Does it always work....no.....there are always exceptions to the rule...but in general it works.

Hence why GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota have multiple brands to try to get into many niches to sell more cars.

If this wasn't the case, there would be no Lexus, Pontiac, Cadillac, Saturn, Lincoln, Scion.....etc.

Simple marketing.
So reducing the variety of product reduces the quantity of consumers?

If someone wants/needs a new car... they're still going to buy a new car. I'm not sure how huge of an impact it would have on total sales if one brand went away. It isn't as if Saturn was making a line of "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THIS" cars.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by mrsteve
So reducing the variety of product reduces the quantity of consumers?
Sure it does. You create multiple car lines and style/types of cars to draw-in consumers. Simple marketing. You may say Saturn was selling "turd:....but GM/Saturn still is/was selling cars...and believe(ed) that they had a market.

If creating additional brands did not sell more cars for a company...then why do they all create additional brands?.....because it typically works.

I don't agree with corporate re-badging....I think that is a waste, but new niche brands can generate more consumers to buy your product.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
What are all the rebadged Opels going to become now?

Saturn did have a lot of upside. For a while, they've almost been a niche brand for GM until recently when they branched out with the Vue, Sky, Outlook, etc. Then again you have to realize, not all is lost since none of those cars are unique.... they have badge siblings. So I liked the Sky more than the Solstice, at least exterior-wise.... the Malibu is leaps and bounds ahead of the Aura. I think the writing was on the wall a long time ago. What would really hurt is if Buick died, I believe Buick alone sold a lot more than Saturn did. There's still a chance of the Opel Insignia (European car of the year for something, IIRC) and the Buick Invicta coming over. The main thing is that this is going to put GM deeper into the red, though I'm sure they considered the cost of buying out all the killed dealerships in their bailout request.

What's ridiculous is how the UAW is sitting pretty, making "concessions" but not parting ways with a single dollar of their billions of cash sitting there at the ready, in case someone wants to file a grievance. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....
Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
if the solstice didnt exist, the Saturn SKY would be a neat little car to own years down the road. a real memento...a staple of a nicely designed car for a upcoming brand that was axed during the 2008 recession.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
One of my first cars was a '94 Saturn SL2 (leather, sunroof, faux wood) I LOVED THAT CAR! Never had problems with it and put over 170K miles on it.

The original Saturn appeal and marketing was great. It was a small economy and eco-friendly car. I think Toyota should buy the brand and rebadge the prius as a Saturn and sell all of their hybrids under the Saturn name. Hell GM should have done that a long time ago...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by bl^5
One of my first cars was a '94 Saturn SL2 (leather, sunroof, faux wood) I LOVED THAT CAR! Never had problems with it and put over 170K miles on it.

The original Saturn appeal and marketing was great. It was a small economy and eco-friendly car. I think Toyota should buy the brand and rebadge the prius as a Saturn and sell all of their hybrids under the Saturn name. Hell GM should have done that a long time ago...
I don't think GM can sell Saturn because all of the Saturn products are either rebadged GM (the SUV's in the Saturn line-up & SKY) or Opel (Astra, Aura).

The only thing I think they could buy is the name and possibly the dealer network.

There is really no Saturn only product...it's all tied into a rebadge.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
^ well just until this last generation of saturn is that true. they could go back to the non denting sidepanel saturns. they may not be the best looking cars but they looked ok and ten years later they still looked good since they had no dings or whatnot in them
Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ No way! Those old "plastic" Saturns were HORRIBLE...inside and out.
The MASSIVE panel gaps that were needed for the plastic panels were so bad.

I understand why they needed to be so big because of the material, but boy did they make the cars look cheap.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I started to like the new Saturn... maybe I can pickup a Saturn Sky for cheap
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
To each his own

I personally think the new Camry looks great aside from its awkward snout, meanwhile the new Accord sedan has styling that's hard to get used to even though its been out for a while now. I've driven Camrys dating back to the 80's and even the new ones in all sorts of condition and personally I'd never get one. And I would never choose to drive ANY current Honda/Acura (S2000 aside possibly) or Toyota/Lexus over any new V8 Challenger, Camaro, GTO, G8 or even Mustang.

And your hollow claim that Chevrolet simply takes designs from Europe and transfers them over here remains unproven. I just proved Honda/Acura does EXACTLY as you said Chevrolet does.

GM, Ford and Chrysler just have the same problem Hyundai does.... they had years and years of making shitty cars then making a huge improvement in the last decade or so, but the tarnished reputation of the 80's and 90's has yet to recover.... not to mention for the Big 3, the idiocy of the UAW and senior management.
The opel vectra has been a model in Europe since 2003 I think and thats the same design for the new Malibu and Aura.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
an asshole from florida

Im hoping for an astra for cheap, then get the engine out of a turbo cobalt or even the supercharger!!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM
intelligentsia

HEHE I'm hoping for cheap caddys. Brand new CTS with nav system for 25k I would bite. Or hell even an CTS-V for 55k. But I'm probably dreaming.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
an asshole from florida

^ doubt caddy will go under

Quick Reply: North American Auto Industry Crisis news **Pontiac's Last Day (page 28)**