Nissan: Juke News

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Nissan: Juke News

To fill the gap below the Nissan Murano
After Nissan’s big success with the Murano, which came on the market in 2003 in the US and 2004 in Europe, the Japanese car maker is now developing a sister model to fill a gap below the Murano in the SUV model range. In particular this new compact SUV is set to rival the likes of BMW X3, the just released new Toyota RAV 4, and the upcoming smaller C-Class based MLK by Daimler-Chrysler, which is scheduled for debut in 2008.

Here are first photos showing a first prototype of the new Nissan SUV. It will adapt various styling elements from the successful Murano, has all wheel drive and is expected to be powered by 2,0 litre four cylinder fuel and Diesel engines. The top of the line version could be equipped with a six cylinder power plant.

According to insider information the new Nissan compact SUV is going to be a world car, for launch some time in 2007.

Encouraged by the success of its Murano SUV (shown right), Nissan is considering adding another, small utility version to its lineup. It will target the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. According to a report by Edmunds, the vehicle may debut in 2007. Like the new Versa, the compact SUV could take some styling cues from designs at parent company Renault.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
BTW - In Canada Nissan already has a CR-V/Rav competitor called the X-Trail. Uses the 2.5L rated at 175HP found in other Nissan products.

The problem with it are its looks and centre mouted instriment cluster.

This new one looks much better.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
mini murano....no thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
....wonder if this will be the upcoming Infiniti CX.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
....wonder if this will be the upcoming Infiniti CX.
That's the very first thing I thought. But I doubt it, though. Creating this SUV is a no brainer for Nissan; they need something car based to battler the CR-V, Rav-4, Equinox, Escape, etc. The X-terra is to extreme and focused on being a hardcore offroader to be anything else. From what I understand the CX is still coming and will be based off of the FM. But then who knows... the CX was orginally reported to have both CX25 and CX35 trims, so, everyone thought the "25" was the 2.5L I4 mentioned in the article. Still, there's a 2.5L VQ that's in the Skyline in Japan right now, and it's possible that engine may turnn up here (many think Infiniti won't go back to four cylinders). We'll have to wait and see... the CX is so god damned clouded in mystery I don't know what to think. That said, I like the sketch of the baby Murano; much nicer than the new Rav or the CR-V, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
BTW - In Canada Nissan already has a CR-V/Rav competitor called the X-Trail. Uses the 2.5L rated at 175HP found in other Nissan products.

The problem with it are its looks and centre mouted instriment cluster.

This new one looks much better.
Yeah. I finally got a chance to see one in person when I was in Trinidad. I always wondered why Nissan didn't bring it here. As a whole, it didn't really impress me. And I agree with your remark about the center mounted cluster... I hate that.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow is that ugly. Nissan is really putting out some really unattractive designs lately.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Yeah. I finally got a chance to see one in person when I was in Trinidad. I always wondered why Nissan didn't bring it here. As a whole, it didn't really impress me. And I agree with your remark about the center mounted cluster... I hate that.

I think the center console idea is phreakin stupid when it comes to placement of the gauge cluster.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

baby murano for sure. pretty bland for a nissan.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

That's the very first thing I thought. But I doubt it, though. Creating this SUV is a no brainer for Nissan; they need something car based to battler the CR-V, Rav-4, Equinox, Escape, etc. The X-terra is to extreme and focused on being a hardcore offroader to be anything else. From what I understand the CX is still coming and will be based off of the FM. But then who knows... the CX was orginally reported to have both CX25 and CX35 trims, so, everyone thought the "25" was the 2.5L I4 mentioned in the article. Still, there's a 2.5L VQ that's in the Skyline in Japan right now, and it's possible that engine may turnn up here (many think Infiniti won't go back to four cylinders). We'll have to wait and see... the CX is so god damned clouded in mystery I don't know what to think. That said, I like the sketch of the baby Murano; much nicer than the new Rav or the CR-V, IMHO.
Good points. With the reference to the BMW X3 and upcoming MB MLK in Edmunds' article, I'm led to believe that this may windup on the Infiniti side for that reason. (But then again, Nissan's competitor to the Lexus RX -- the Murano -- is sold on the Nissan side.....and in the case of this new SUV, it could just be speculation on Edmunds' part) ....another instance of 'stay tuned' with another Nissan product.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

man this ish ugly....hasn't nissan learned that center mounted cluster is ugly..ala quest

i say make a mini xterra....somethin small with offroad capability.
not a mini-murano
Old 03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Safety Car

Good points. With the reference to the BMW X3 and upcoming MB MLK in Edmunds' article, I'm led to believe that this may windup on the Infiniti side for that reason. (But then again, Nissan's competitor to the Lexus RX -- the Murano -- is sold on the Nissan side.....and in the case of this new SUV, it could just be speculation on Edmunds' part) ....another instance of 'stay tuned' with another Nissan product.
I see your point. We'll have to see. Edmund's is always around 50/50, I find.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,081 Likes on 2,698 Posts
I saw the X-Trails in England...not shabby....don't care for concept shown for the mini-murano though.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Race Director

i detest the antenna on that thing, makes it look like an insect's head
Old 03-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
It looks more like it came out of Toyota. Front has the Sienna look with a Nissan badge, and side is totally new RAV4.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The rear profile looks kinda like the RDX...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
i detest the antenna on that thing, makes it look like an insect's head

That seems to be commonplace on a number of European cars. I dont know a heck of a lot about car audio but I would think the intrawindshield antenna would be preferrable (aesthetically speaking).
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
man this ish ugly....hasn't nissan learned that center mounted cluster is ugly..ala quest

i say make a mini xterra....somethin small with offroad capability.
not a mini-murano
Though the X-terra's almost the size of the Pathfinder, Nissan considers it the "mini" offroader. Next step up, the Pathfinder... you won't see a sub X-terra offroader. The sub_murano model is needed, though. In Nissan's defense, we don't know where the guages are mounted in this mule. The X-trail had it, but it's not coming here. From the spy pics, and the hump above the steering wheel, it seems probable that the gauges will be traditionally placed in this car.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Though the X-terra's almost the size of the Pathfinder, Nissan considers it the "mini" offroader. Next step up, the Pathfinder... you won't see a sub X-terra offroader. The sub_murano model is needed, though. In Nissan's defense, we don't know where the guages are mounted in this mule. The X-trail had it, but it's not coming here. From the spy pics, and the hump above the steering wheel, it seems probable that the gauges will be traditionally placed in this car.
considering they moved the gauges in the quest (i think), it would seem like they listen to people's complaints and make changes, unlike other automakers who say "Go FuK Yourself and buy something Else if you don't Like it!!!!"

so i doubt they'd go back and put the gauges in the center on a new suv for the amerikan market.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
considering they moved the gauges in the quest (i think), it would seem like they listen to people's complaints and make changes, unlike other automakers who say "Go FuK Yourself and buy something Else if you don't Like it!!!!"

so i doubt they'd go back and put the gauges in the center on a new suv for the amerikan market.
Agreed.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Racer

not feeling it...sorry Nissan
Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deandorsey

To fill the gap below the Nissan Murano
After Nissan’s big success with the Murano, which came on the market in 2003 in the US and 2004 in Europe, the Japanese car maker is now developing a sister model to fill a gap below the Murano in the SUV model range. In particular this new compact SUV is set to rival the likes of BMW X3, the just released new Toyota RAV 4, and the upcoming smaller C-Class based MLK by Daimler-Chrysler, which is scheduled for debut in 2008.

Here are first photos showing a first prototype of the new Nissan SUV. It will adapt various styling elements from the successful Murano, has all wheel drive and is expected to be powered by 2,0 litre four cylinder fuel and Diesel engines. The top of the line version could be equipped with a six cylinder power plant.

According to insider information the new Nissan compact SUV is going to be a world car, for launch some time in 2007.

Encouraged by the success of its Murano SUV (shown right), Nissan is considering adding another, small utility version to its lineup. It will target the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. According to a report by Edmunds, the vehicle may debut in 2007. Like the new Versa, the compact SUV could take some styling cues from designs at parent company Renault.

ITs a CGI, not an actual nissan design and considering the spypics are right hand drive makes the possibilities even greater of what this could be because cars like the new rav4 in europe are smaller vehicles than the new rav4 in the us is etc.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Future Products — Nissan - - By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

Small crossover: Smaller than the Murano, this front-wheel-drive crossover is due to hit the United States in the 2008 or 2009 model year. It will be powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine. The vehicle may share a platform with the Versa.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Race Director

Anymore info on the upcoming smaller Infiniti SUV? If/when they release that it will be a good alternative to the X3 and the RDX.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Anymore info on the upcoming smaller Infiniti SUV? If/when they release that it will be a good alternative to the X3 and the RDX.
Ever since the news of the CX first broke, Infiniti has been quiet about when it's coming or any other specifics. I always assumed it'd be based on the above mentioned small SUV. I guess only time will tell. I agree with you... it'd be a great alternative to the X3 and RDX.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Pinky all stinky

I really doubt the mini Infiniti suv will be based on this. It's like how the Murano and FX don't share the same platform, I think that "tradition" will continue.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
I really doubt the mini Infiniti suv will be based on this. It's like how the Murano and FX don't share the same platform, I think that "tradition" will continue.
That will probably depend on power/drivetrain. The Mo and FX do not share the same power/drivetrain (FWD VQ35DE/CVT versus RWD VQ35DE/VK45DE w/5AT), hence the platform difference...versus say the 350Z which shares has the same power/drivetrain with the FX/M/G.

With speculation being that there will be a CX25 and CX35, I would personally anticipate a D-platform (4G Altima) based CX as the Altima's powertrain will likely have a 2.5L I4 and a 3.5L V6. (I have my doubts that the CX would be Versa based vehicle.) Sidenote: I also anticipate a similar setup for the 2G Murano, which should be out in late 2007....unless Nissan extends the Mo's model cycle.

Caveat: I am just speculating here.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

That will probably depend on power/drivetrain. The Mo and FX do not share the same power/drivetrain (FWD VQ35DE/CVT versus RWD VQ35DE/VK45DE w/5AT), hence the platform difference...versus say the 350Z which shares has the same power/drivetrain with the FX/M/G.

With speculation being that there will be a CX25 and CX35, I would personally anticipate a D-platform (4G Altima) based CX as the Altima's powertrain will likely have a 2.5L I4 and a 3.5L V6. (I have my doubts that the CX would be Versa based vehicle.) Sidenote: I also anticipate a similar setup for the 2G Murano, which should be out in late 2007....unless Nissan extends the Mo's model cycle.

Caveat: I am just speculating here.
I don't see the "baby" SUV being based on the midsize D-Platform. Sentra's platform is all new also... I think it'd be used there first. Sure, the D could be chopped a bit, but why bother. The next Murano will probably be based off the the D. The FX is sure to grow (three rows, I hope) to make room for the baby Infiniti. The last rumors I heard, was that the CX would be based on a shortened G platform, while the next FW would share the same wheelbase as the M.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't see the "baby" SUV being based on the midsize D-Platform. Sentra's platform is all new also... I think it'd be used there first. Sure, the D could be chopped a bit, but why bother. The next Murano will probably be based off the the D. The FX is sure to grow (three rows, I hope) to make room for the baby Infiniti. The last rumors I heard, was that the CX would be based on a shortened G platform, while the next FW would share the same wheelbase as the M.
Keep in mind, the FM platform was developed initially for the JDM V35 Nissan Skyline (Infiniti G35 sedan) and then modified for service in the 350Z sports car and FX crossover SUV. What all three have in common across the board is the powertrain. So if that is any indicator........

But time will tell how the CX will develop though.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Keep in mind, the FM platform was developed initially for the JDM V35 Nissan Skyline (Infiniti G35 sedan) and then modified for service in the 350Z sports car and FX crossover SUV. What all three have in common across the board is the powertrain. So if that is any indicator........

But time will tell how the CX will develop though.
Very true. The FM platform was initially developed for the above purposes. So, if that's an indicator, the CX may very well be on the FM and continue Infiniti's new purpose of developing only RWD/AWD vehicles. When the news broke about the CX, it was said that a CX25/CX35 would be issued. The JDM Skyline has a 2.5L V6 and a 3.5L V6. So, your shared powertrain would be proven in that case. There's also been specuation that the G will eventually be offered with a 2.5L V6 (no doubt the one from Japan). If so, it would easily be used for the CX in this case also.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Very true. The FM platform was initially developed for the above purposes. So, if that's an indicator, the CX may very well be on the FM and continue Infiniti's new purpose of developing only RWD/AWD vehicles. When the news broke about the CX, it was said that a CX25/CX35 would be issued. The JDM Skyline has a 2.5L V6 and a 3.5L V6. So, your shared powertrain would be proven in that case. There's also been specuation that the G will eventually be offered with a 2.5L V6 (no doubt the one from Japan). If so, it would easily be used for the CX in this case also.
Does anyone know whether or not the IS250 is tanking or not?

I'd imagine if the IS250 is doing well, the G25 would as well.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
Does anyone know whether or not the IS250 is tanking or not?

I'd imagine if the IS250 is doing well, the G25 would as well.
It has been my observation that the vast majority of the new IS on the roads here in central NJ seem to be IS250s...even then mostly IS250 AWD models. It seems like the IS350 is far a few between.

If Lexus would have developed an IS350 AWD with an MSRP under $40k (w/navi), it would have eaten a chunk out of the G35X's market.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Pinky all stinky

I wouldn't call the IS250's sales as sinking, but I did expect it to sell much better than the current numbers.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Geneva Preview: Nissan Qazan crossover concept

I searched for "Qazan" and nothing came up... so

Nissan put out an incredibly brief press release about its plans for the Geneva Motor Show, including one line about a new concept that will debut this March. After a bit of snooping we've got a name and a genre: it's called the Qazan and it's a compact crossover designed to slot in below the Euro-market Qashqai.

The sketch above was pulled from our previous story about Nissan's new A-segment vehicle that's due to be produced at the automaker's Sunderland plant in the UK. If the rumors hold true, production of the Qazan will take over the Micra assembly line when it ends next year. The Qazan is expected to go on sale in 2010 and aimed to compete with the Kia Soul, so expect an upright body and a youthful image. More to follow from Geneva in just over a month.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/30/g...sover-concept/
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Post Teaser

Press release...

The star of the Nissan stand will be Qazana, a show car providing a good indication of the, as yet unnamed, compact car that will be produced at the Nissan Sunderland plant from 2010, safeguarding around 1,100 jobs.

Best described as a small Crossover, Qazana has been conceived to challenge conventional wisdom about what buyers of small five-door cars should expect.

The striking design is dominated by large, wide wheel arches and a lower shape which gives a feeling of strength, while the upper body is dynamic, assertive and sporty. Qazana is a five-door, with the rear doors opening forwards once the front doors have been opened, in the style of ‘suicide doors’.

Qazana will reinforce Nissan’s position as a pioneer of Crossovers, building on the success of Qashqai and the recently introduced Qashqai+2.

Trial builds of the production car will begin in early 2010 before its introduction on the Micra/Note line. There it will take up manufacturing capacity created when production of the current version of Micra ends later that same year.

The new model has been designed and developed in the UK and represents around £57m of investment. Its arrival takes the total investment by Nissan in the Sunderland plant to around £2.5b since 1984.

Trevor Mann, Nissan Senior Vice President for Manufacturing in Europe, commented: “The difficulties currently facing the car industry have been widely documented, and Nissan has not been immune.As a result we have had to make some difficult decisions, but the reason we have done so is to secure a long and positive future for the plant. Qazana points the way to that future and gives an indication of the unique and exciting car we will be producing in Sunderland next year.”

Other models being on display at the show
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,941 Likes on 14,057 Posts
Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

liking it so far.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That looks....weird