Nissan: GT-R News

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont mind them pushing back the release date as long as Ghosn gets this new GTR "right"
Old 03-10-2005, 04:53 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower
i dont mind them pushing back the release date as long as Ghosn gets this new GTR "right"
nissan is like a retarded kid, they can do things and do them right, but it always takes a long time.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Kabachitare!

The new Skyline will be here at the same time Toyota brings out the new Supra

(And you know how long we have been waiting for that.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................still waiting.......)

Last edited by kansaiwalker1; 03-10-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1

(And you know how long we have been waiting for that.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................still waiting.......)
Old 03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stangg172004
nissan is like a retarded kid, they can do things and do them right, but it always takes a long time.

nissan already brought back the Z and already introduced the skyline to the U.S....they can't break out the GTR right away

nissan made big moves really fast...how many new models have they introduced in past few years?? alot more then any other company

the new skyline is already here! tired of beating the dead horse.

question is, where's the supra??
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

Don't think a GTR would sell as a nissan, the z is already topping 40k which is getting expensive for a non luxury performance car.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

but the GTR is was never a luxury car.....wat a dilemma nissan's got
Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Don't think a GTR would sell as a nissan, the z is already topping 40k which is getting expensive for a non luxury performance car.
i agree...it has to be an infiniti since the current infiniti g35/nissan skyline 350gt tops out at around 42k. It wouldnt make sense if nissan didnt make it an infiniti since the current skyline is an infiniti
Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Pro

but the GTR is was never a luxury car.....wat a dilemma nissan's got
The thing is, people today want some form of luxury in any car they get. Otherwise, if the GT-R was released in the same non-luxury fashion as it was in previous skylines, it probably wouldnt sell here. I'm sure nissan will be able to incorporate luxury amenities in the GT-R, especially if it becomes an infiniti
Old 03-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by 03TL-S
The thing is, people today want some form of luxury in any car they get. Otherwise, if the GT-R was released in the same non-luxury fashion as it was in previous skylines, it probably wouldnt sell here. I'm sure nissan will be able to incorporate luxury amenities in the GT-R, especially if it becomes an infiniti
Actually it depends on how they price it. The Lotus Elise has a waiting list in America that goes on for months and that car is about as un-luxury as one can get. But it's a seriously sick sports car.

If Infiniti markets the GT-R in any way that makes people think it's a Gran Turismo and not a true sports car, they are going to balk at a sparse interior.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think calling the GTR a Nissan is the right decision. That way it will go against the Corvette crowd that wants two extra seats. Makes perfect sense. If they price it right (which I doubt it), they will sell lots of them.

If Chevy can have a super car in their lineup why cant Nissan?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

when u say "corvette", everyone and their grandma knows what it is....when u say "GTR" ppl look at u confused
Old 03-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

when u say "corvette", everyone and their grandma knows what it is....when u say "GTR" ppl look at u confused
Same was the case for the STi and Evo. Now look at them

The American enthusiast buyer is more than capable to recognize an offering that deserves attention quickly.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

True, but the STi and Evo is cheaper, for the younger market who knows about these cars......the GTR will be alot more expensive
Old 03-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

True, but the STi and Evo is cheaper, for the younger market who knows about these cars......the GTR will be alot more expensive
I dont see how the above weakens my argument, but I see what you're saying.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Safety Car

The sti and evo don't sell in large numbers at all, I think for nissan/infiniti, the whole point of building another two door car is to tackle a segment with high rewards.

The corvette is an American Icon that most anyone with or without car knowledge recognizes- been around since the 50's. The supra and 300zx already tried to go against the Corvette under their non luxury brands and failed- even back then they had nice interiors/exteriors too, doing it again is just repeating history. The car needs top notch performance, quality, and brand on the hood.

I don't think many companies could pull off what chevy and dodge have done with the vette and viper, for nissan, imo, the risk is too great to even try. Infiniti could cash in on the Gtr being a 6 series/911/m3/xlr fighter for less $, the risk is less because of the value of the car against the competition. A nissan gtr would already lose out on being compared with all those two doors(7/8's of the market) because it wouldn't be a luxury car.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Drifting

^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
this topic can go on for months til the actual GTR comes out and then we'll really see what happens. but magazines have been already calling it an "infiniti GTR". one helluva beast car nissan's bringing over for a first. but why cant it work? its gonna be cheaper than honda's NSX and will be running alot harder than the underpowered NSX.. cant really say whats gonna happen now, but until then lets just keep the fingers crossed and pray that we'll see one on the road sometime soon
Old 03-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I think calling the GTR a Nissan is the right decision. That way it will go against the Corvette crowd that wants two extra seats. Makes perfect sense. If they price it right (which I doubt it), they will sell lots of them.

If Chevy can have a super car in their lineup why cant Nissan?

i personally dont wanna nissan to set the price RIGHT... GTR is some sorta legendary car to US market... if they set it at sub 50k... then everybody and their grandma would have one... and what s the point for a super sports car?..

i say 90K would be somewhat reasonable.. like the NSX...( that is if the new GTR has TT AWD 450HP+)
Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

90k for a Nissan would be pure failure.

be like the NSX? i hope not
Old 03-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
this topic can go on for months til the actual GTR comes out and then we'll really see what happens. but magazines have been already calling it an "infiniti GTR". one helluva beast car nissan's bringing over for a first. but why cant it work? its gonna be cheaper than honda's NSX and will be running alot harder than the underpowered NSX.. cant really say whats gonna happen now, but until then lets just keep the fingers crossed and pray that we'll see one on the road sometime soon
I dont necessarily disagree and also hope that the new GTR is produced and sold here. But I think the idea of it being cheaper than the NSX (as a selling point) is sort of a moot point as both are/would be "high end" geared towards being a low volume model with exclusivity. Therefore, I doubt price would be a major factor in cross shopping the two.

The corvette is an American Icon that most anyone with or without car knowledge recognizes- been around since the 50's. The supra and 300zx already tried to go against the Corvette under their non luxury brands and failed- even back then they had nice interiors/exteriors too, doing it again is just repeating history. The car needs top notch performance, quality, and brand on the hood.
Although they were compared to each other, the Z, Supra and 3000GT were never sports cars like the Corvette. Rather they were more like high-tech import versions of the Mustang GT, Z28 and T/A. To wit, that high tech aspect led to much higher MSRPs (as much as $62k for the 3000GT VR4 Spyder) that ultimately led to their demise. Admittedly, I dont know what'll come of the new GTR, in terms of the buying public.

I don't think many companies could pull off what chevy and dodge have done with the vette and viper, for nissan, imo, the risk is too great to even try. Infiniti could cash in on the Gtr being a 6 series/911/m3/xlr fighter for less $, the risk is less because of the value of the car against the competition. A nissan gtr would already lose out on being compared with all those two doors(7/8's of the market) because it wouldn't be a luxury car.

Time will tell but it's conceivable that Nissan may go the route Ford ( ) went with the GT, in tagging it as a Ford NOT Lincoln. Again, .
Old 03-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The sti and evo don't sell in large numbers at all, I think for nissan/infiniti, the whole point of building another two door car is to tackle a segment with high rewards.

The Supra, 300Z TT, etc never went directly agains the Vette. They were a Vette alternative for "high tech lovers". Until they shot themselves in the foot and went extinct.

If the Skyline is priced for as much as a base C6, then it will sell fine. Otherwise it wont.

Finally, the STi and Evo are not selling "in large numbers" you wrote. That depends on what you compare them with. If you compare them with the Camry, certainly. But they are supposed to be exclusive cars appealing to a niche market. Same for the Skyline only the price will be higher than the Evo/Sti segment.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro

It wouldnt be a failure if they make it good enough to shock the world as the nsx did when it first came out. Toyota is also releasing their 100k lexus supercar so it wouldnt be too odd for infiniti to as well.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

under the Infiniti name, mayb.....but "Nissan", no
Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NSX was 60k back in 1990 and sold pretty well the first couple years.

I think naming it a Nissan is the way to go. Even Infiniti can't sell a 40-60k car. The previous M45 sold awful from day one and the Q45 has sold awful for 15 years. No one equates Infiniti with success or luxury. People still don't know what it is.

With Nissan, people know already and some people (though mostly kids who can't buy the car)know what a Nissan Skyline GT-R is.

Besides, does it matter? If the damn thing is ANOTHER FM based can, and ANOTHER VQ car (even with turbos) and ANOTHER shoddy interior, they should sell it for 40k and call it a day
Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
Even Infiniti can't sell a 40-60k car. The previous M45 sold awful from day one and the Q45 has sold awful for 15 years. No one equates Infiniti with success or luxury. People still don't know what it is.
Besides, does it matter? If the damn thing is ANOTHER FM based can, and ANOTHER VQ car (even with turbos) and ANOTHER shoddy interior, they should sell it for 40k and call it a day
If Infiniti can't sell a 60K car what makes you think Nissan can? The last M was a place holder for the new M. Plenty of people equate Infiniti with luxury. "Another FM?" The FM has gotten nothing but praises. And the new FM the M is on is even more rigid than the G. And what's wrong with the VQ? It's also gotten nothing but praise. Infiniti's weak spot has always been lackluster interiors. And with the new M, I think even that's changing.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
If Infiniti can't sell a 60K car what makes you think Nissan can? The last M was a place holder for the new M. Plenty of people equate Infiniti with luxury. "Another FM?" The FM has gotten nothing but praises. And the new FM the M is on is even more rigid than the G. And what's wrong with the VQ? It's also gotten nothing but praise. Infiniti's weak spot has always been lackluster interiors. And with the new M, I think even that's changing.
Thank you. And even the new G35 interior looks much nicer.

03-04

vs

Old 03-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I think naming it a Nissan is the way to go. Even Infiniti can't sell a 40-60k car. The previous M45 sold awful from day one and the Q45 has sold awful for 15 years. No one equates Infiniti with success or luxury. People still don't know what it is.

With Nissan, people know already and some people (though mostly kids who can't buy the car)know what a Nissan Skyline GT-R is.

60k back in 1990 is much different then today.....Nissan already has the Z tipping the scale at jus under $40k and over $40k with the Roadster...how will "nissan" have a GTR for 40k?
Infiniti hasn't been selling well, that's why they're trying to revamp themselves...which they are doing pretty nicely.

i would actually like to see two versions of this GTR....mayb a strip down version as a nissan to battle the vette and a higher class luxury/sports version as an infiniti to battle the M3 and the porsches

btw, ppl in japan have been swapping out the RB in their R34s to replace it with a VQ TT
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the VQ or FM. But how much whoring will Renault/Nissan do? The GT-R is supposed to be a one of a kind sports car, the Nissan flagship. Not some car pieced together. For 60k, people will want one of a kind (XK8, 911, SC 430, 6 series, Vette, etc). None of those cars shares engines with 25k cars. The ENGINE is the heart and soul of a car, even more so a sports car.

And LMAO, at those interior shots. C'mon be real, the interior is atrocious. This Kia looks better

On par with a Chevy Malibu
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

^^ Saying that the 05 G is on par with a Chevy Malibu or any Kia is absolutely ludacris.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
And that's not even a Kia.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:31 PM
101 years of heartache...

I really think that since the JDM Skyline 350GT is labeled the G35 in the USDM, the JDM Skyline GT-R should be labeled an Infiniti GT-R.

A couple of things; first off, I think Nissan is stepping away from the Turbo thing and either going with a Cosworth-tuned 4.0+ V6 or V8. The chassis and suspension work is rumored to be coming from Lotus Engineering (wow, not using the FM platform, that's a first). Rumors also say it'l have a Getrag 7 Speed Sequential Gearbox.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Man!

So many points I disagree with here...

First, what is wrong with the FM platform? You call it a can like it's a Yugo. The FM platform is one of the best platforms in its class right now from any point of view. Nissan/Infiniti have based so many cars on it, it's showed how flexible it can be. And all have been successful. Think if of the Z, the M, the Gs. I mean, it's a total success story.

Infiniti has some issues with interior quality of materials with the G. That's it though, so I dont see a point there either.

Another VQ car? That better have been meant as a compliment for the Skyline. The VQ engine is probably the best V6 ever produced! Read ward's auto on another thread abou the 10 best engines of 2005. The VQ is the only engine making the list for 11 years in a row. No other engine has managed that feat. So what's wrong with the VQ?

Finally, the reason the previous M did not sell is mostly due to its looks and handling characteristics. The case is pretty much the same for the Q also. But as you see they have fixed the M and mind you, it will sell way better than the previous M. So now they need to fix the next Q and the G's interior and they have a great lineup.

Infiniti deserves praise by all enthusiasts. They have corrected so many things in such short period of time, they need to be teaching their techniques to pretty much every other auto manufacturer.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i would actually like to see two versions of this GTR....mayb a strip down version as a nissan to battle the vette and a higher class luxury/sports version as an infiniti to battle the M3 and the porsches
There you go. You got the Skyline to go against the C6 and if the VQ had a high revving version of it making 350HP, shoving it in the G35C with a sports package would have yielded to an M3 competitor. The G's chassis is so well tuned as it is offered now, it needs a mediocre bump to reach and even beat the current M3 with an appropriate engine output.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Actually Nissan has an opportunity here. Why?

If the Z06 will truly be in the mid 60s or even low 70s then there is a huge gap between it and the base C6 model.

So if I am Nissan, I'd make sure the Skyline makes 500HP and pricing it right smack in the middle of the C6 and the Z06. There is your dilema now as a potential Z06 owner: "WHy not save $10K and go with the Skyline which is super exclusive anyway for similar performance?"

Otherwise, as I said above, if the SKyline will perform like a C6 then it has got to be priced in the low 40Ks if it's going to be remotely successful sales-wise.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

There is nothing wrong with the VQ or FM. But how much whoring will Renault/Nissan do? The GT-R is supposed to be a one of a kind sports car, the Nissan flagship. Not some car pieced together. For 60k, people will want one of a kind (XK8, 911, SC 430, 6 series, Vette, etc). None of those cars shares engines with 25k cars. The ENGINE is the heart and soul of a car, even more so a sports car.

And LMAO, at those interior shots. C'mon be real, the interior is atrocious. This Kia looks better

On par with a Chevy Malibu
1. I dont understand. We dont even know what the Skyline will look like, let alone its specs, where the heck did you derive that it will cost 60K from? That's all beyond hypothetical.

2. About the G's interior. I have lived with a 2002 G for a week in Orlando as a rental and have rented the Malibu also in DC. No comparison at all! The G driver comes to appreciate the quality of all materials used in the G's interior after you become familiar with the car. Yes, the design is bland and some dashboard parts need upgrading, but whatever you touch/push is absolutely super solid. In some cases more solid than Audi and Lexus interior parts used.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
I really think that since the JDM Skyline 350GT is labeled the G35 in the USDM, the JDM Skyline GT-R should be labeled an Infiniti GT-R.

A couple of things; first off, I think Nissan is stepping away from the Turbo thing and either going with a Cosworth-tuned 4.0+ V6 or V8. The chassis and suspension work is rumored to be coming from Lotus Engineering (wow, not using the FM platform, that's a first). Rumors also say it'l have a Getrag 7 Speed Sequential Gearbox.
Europe may get the TT engine but the US market will get V8 or V8s.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro

LessisBestmakingendsmeet - Just one question...are you 1sicklex because you sure do sound like him. Maybe his son?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by gavriil
Man!

So many points I disagree with here...

First, what is wrong with the FM platform? You call it a can like it's a Yugo. The FM platform is one of the best platforms in its class right now from any point of view. Nissan/Infiniti have based so many cars on it, it's showed how flexible it can be. And all have been successful. Think if of the Z, the M, the Gs. I mean, it's a total success story.

Infiniti has some issues with interior quality of materials with the G. That's it though, so I dont see a point there either.

Another VQ car? That better have been meant as a compliment for the Skyline. The VQ engine is probably the best V6 ever produced! Read ward's auto on another thread abou the 10 best engines of 2005. The VQ is the only engine making the list for 11 years in a row. No other engine has managed that feat. So what's wrong with the VQ?

Finally, the reason the previous M did not sell is mostly due to its looks and handling characteristics. The case is pretty much the same for the Q also. But as you see they have fixed the M and mind you, it will sell way better than the previous M. So now they need to fix the next Q and the G's interior and they have a great lineup.

Infiniti deserves praise by all enthusiasts. They have corrected so many things in such short period of time, they need to be teaching their techniques to pretty much every other auto manufacturer.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro

heres a better pic of the 05 interior for the G just for comparisons sake. Now back to topic.

Now how does that look cheap?

Quick Reply: Nissan: GT-R News