Nissan: GT-R News

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numbers don't add up IMHO. Almost 3900 lbs and the same hp as a 997 TT. The tires appear to be R-compounds and who knows what else is done to the car. I am calling BS until a production car is tested.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
I hope that for a 100 grand it does make it around the ring faster than a Z06. Let's wait for the "Blue Devil" which is closer in price and boosted as well to make judgments though
Try around 60k for the base version.

Not to mention its a 2+2 and has AWD.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Maximized
Numbers don't add up IMHO. Almost 3900 lbs and the same hp as a 997 TT. The tires appear to be R-compounds and who knows what else is done to the car. I am calling BS until a production car is tested.
It does have an aggressive tread pattern but I'm sure their street legal. Plus there is no verifiable data to show that the claimed 7:43 by the Z06 was on street tires. And I believe the 7:40 set my the 911TT was on pilot sport cups.

Every GT-R's mission has always been to beat the 911TT around the Ring. With a dedicated platform this time around, a long developemental and gestation period, I have no doubt believing that they've done the trick. The question is, can the unseat the Carrera GT.

I say run the EVO-spec version and find out.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by srika
looks so bloated

I agree, I also don't like the side profile. The rear quarter panels are too flat/square looking. Maybe I need to see it in person...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
Try around 60k for the base version.

Not to mention its a 2+2 and has AWD.
i doubt the car will be 60k and even if it was, do you honestly believe that this thing wont be marked up to hell. The car will be in such high demand at that price that dealerships will ad 15 grand and people will pay. It happens with every sought after car until demand drops. Unless nissan stops the dealers then i say it will still be up there. And can i ask of all cars why do you hate on the Z06? Personally i rather have the GTR because as you said, it's a 2+2 with awd and tons of power, but i'd rock a z06 as well.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

It does have an aggressive tread pattern but I'm sure their street legal. Plus there is no verifiable data to show that the claimed 7:43 by the Z06 was on street tires. And I believe the 7:40 set my the 911TT was on pilot sport cups.

Every GT-R's mission has always been to beat the 911TT around the Ring. With a dedicated platform this time around, a long developemental and gestation period, I have no doubt believing that they've done the trick. The question is, can the unseat the Carrera GT.

If the GTR is hitting the Ring with street tires at those times, then damn that car has some serious skills and so does nissan.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

i doubt the car will be 60k and even if it was, do you honestly believe that this thing wont be marked up to hell. The car will be in such high demand at that price that dealerships will ad 15 grand and people will pay. It happens with every sought after car until demand drops. Unless nissan stops the dealers then i say it will still be up there. And can i ask of all cars why do you hate on the Z06? Personally i rather have the GTR because as you said, it's a 2+2 with awd and tons of power, but i'd rock a z06 as well.
What does markup have to do with the MSRP. The car is valued at ~60ishk according to the manufacturer, period. If some retard wants to pay 20k over for it, thats that individuals problem.

Comparing MSRP to MSRP, I'm sure that the base GTR and the Z06 will play in the same price range.

I don't hate on the Z06 at all. Its a great car, that shows its taillights to much pricier vehicles.

I do have a problem with people (not you!) who think that the Z06 is greater than all. There is more to a car than objective numbers, and subjectively there are cars that are more fun to drive, even though they might not be as quick.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

If the GTR is hitting the Ring with street tires at those times, then damn that car has some serious skills and so does nissan.
:agreed:

The GT-R was the first street car to break the 8 second barrier around the Ring.

During the development of the GT-R there was an article a few years ago that said something to the effect of "A Porsche 911 Turbo beating lap time around the Nurburgring has meant more to Nissan engineers than any 0 - 60 time"

Currently, Nissan has 3 different drivers driving 3 different prototypes. Rumor has it that 7:35 has been seen on a track that had "some" damp section. I think finding 7 seconds is a tall order, but if does manage to equal to beat the CGT's time, then it will have done something unbelievable.

Either way, I agree bigman - looks like its time to start saving for a GT-R.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I'm not sure how legit this is.. but I met one of the regional sales managers of Nissan a few weeks ago.. he said they have been told that Nissan will be limiting this car to about 1200 units for the States.. take this as a rumor for now...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Again, once a production car is tested I will believe that. There are to many variables for Nissan to play with, especially with an FI engine. The tires do look like R-compounds, which technically are street legal.

The GT-R is 3800+ lbs and has 500hp, which immediately throws the BS flag up for me. It’s basically the same setup as the 997TT, but the Porsche is considerably lighter. Weight is your enemy, especially when building a “handling” car.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I do have a problem with people (not you!) who think that the Z06 is greater than all. There is more to a car than objective numbers, and subjectively there are cars that are more fun to drive, even though they might not be as quick.
The C6 Z06 is arguably the best performance car under 100K. Fun to drive doesn't mean anything when you are starring at taillights. Hell, a Miata is supposed to be a rewarding car to drive, but it’s slow as hell. All these cars are built to compete against the clock.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

The C6 Z06 is arguably the best performance car under 100K. Fun to drive doesn't mean anything when you are starring at taillights. Hell, a Miata is supposed to be a rewarding car to drive, but it’s slow as hell. All these cars are built to compete against the clock.
Thats your opinion, and thats where I differ.

I would take a Miata any day over say a 350Z/Mustang GT even though the latter choices would run circles around the Miata. Unless your daily commute involves driving around the Nurburgring, a "fast" car doesn't mean shit in the real world. What does count, are the subjective factors like ride/handling balance and fun-to-drive quotient.

If "starring at taillights" is your performance benchmark, then an F-body with a bunch of boltons or a boosted EVO/STi is the car you need to be looking at.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Thats your opinion, and thats where I differ.

I would take a Miata any day over say a 350Z/Mustang GT even though the latter choices would run circles around the Miata. Unless your daily commute involves driving around the Nurburgring, a "fast" car doesn't mean shit in the real world. What does count, are the subjective factors like ride/handling balance and fun-to-drive quotient.

If "starring at taillights" is your performance benchmark, then an F-body with a bunch of boltons or a boosted EVO/STi is the car you need to be looking at.
You obviously like slow/easy cars to drive. That's you opinion, but a performance car is about NUMBERS. They don't put a 505hp V8 in the Z06 for a commute, nor test the car at the Ring’ for driving to pick the kids up. If you are concerned about "commuting", buy a Toyota Prius . The GT-R, Z06, Viper, etc. was designed and built for one thing....NUMBERS/STATS. That's what matter to an enthusiast buying this class of car. Like I said, a Miata is supposed to be a rewarding driver’s car, but on a race track it's slow. There is also the other philosophy that cars are meant to be driven and should be challenging to drive near the limit. It depends on your preference and skill set.

On a side note, I’ve got a 500+ hp car with a road race suspension and I use it everyday in the “real world”.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

If you are concerned about "commuting", buy a Toyota Prius .
LOL, damn right.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

You obviously like slow/easy cars to drive. That's you opinion, but a performance car is about NUMBERS. They don't put a 505hp V8 in the Z06 for a commute, nor test the car at the Ring’ for driving to pick the kids up. If you are concerned about "commuting", buy a Toyota Prius . The GT-R, Z06, Viper, etc. was designed and built for one thing....NUMBERS/STATS. That's what matter to an enthusiast buying this class of car. Like I said, a Miata is supposed to be a rewarding driver’s car, but on a race track it's slow. There is also the other philosophy that cars are meant to be driven and should be challenging to drive near the limit. It depends on your preference and skill set.

On a side note, I’ve got a 500+ hp car with a road race suspension and I use it everyday in the “real world”.
I don't see how preferring a more fun-to-drive car equates to liking an "easy to drive"/"slow" car, so cut the bullshit.

Numbers and stats don't mean shit in the real world. They don't even mean shit in an HPDE. Unless your competing on the track, the largest extent of tracking that an owner of said high performance vehicles might approach is an open lapping session.

Maybe a Viper and a Z06 were built for "stats" and "numbers" but cars like the 911GT3, the Miata, the S2000 and the Exige were built for drivers who like a challenging, rewarding, and fun to drive experience. Not every performance car is built for the sole purpose of being fast in a straightline and generating massive amounts of grip. Any true enthusiast would understand this, and its why the Miata has become the best selling roadster in the world.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with the GT-R so lets stay on topic.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

GTR now rumored to have 550HP

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=122781

This just keeps getting better and better...

Nissan has really outdone themselves.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:05 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crosses fingers on next NSX

Good pricing on a great car with an ace up its sleeve after all...noice.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

There are three trim levels:

* Base: $66,675 alloy wheels
* Black Edition: $68,580 forged wheels, black/red leather seats
* Premium Edition: $71,870, forged wheels, side airbags, Bose,

There are 6 exterior colors:

* Super Black
* Vibrant Red
* Pearl White (30k yen option)
* Titanium Grey
* Dark Metal Grey (according to a magazine, they will only produce 40 cars a month with this color)
* Ultimate Metal Silver (300k yen option)

There are 2 interior colors:

* Black edition only gets black
* Base and Premium can choose black or grey

Wheels and Tires:

* Base GT-R comes with unnamed alloys and Dunlop Sport tires
* Black and Premium editions come with Rays wheels and Bridgestone RE070s (run flat).

Other:

* The chassis code is CBA-R35
* Weight is ~1590 kg/3500 lbs
* Premium edition comes with a Thatcham class immobiliser and alarm (optional on the Base and Black Edition)
* Premium edition comes with a Bose sound system (optional on the Base and Black Edition)
* Premium edition has seat heater
* Side airbag system is optional on all 3 trims

Engine and Drivetrain:

* The engine designation is VR38DETT (Twin Turbocharged 3.8-liter V6)
* The engine performance of the 3 trims is the same
* There is no Manual transmission option

Optional:

* Titanium muffler (10 kg lighter)
* Anti-theft immobilizer 250,000 yen

There will be 160 high performance centers throughout Japan specialized in servicing the GT-R with GT-R specific mechanics (written in the preorder material).

http://www.nagtroc.com/forums/The-GT...ad-t19998.html
Old 09-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Numbers and stats don't mean shit in the real world. They don't even mean shit in an HPDE. Unless your competing on the track, the largest extent of tracking that an owner of said high performance vehicles might approach is an open lapping session.
How many track events have you been to? I am assuming zero from your description above. Every event I've been to (open track lapping days/HPDE), I've approached the limits of my car. Hell I can approach the limit of my car in a straight line, but would never think of pushing the car 9/10ths on the streets racing around corners. I do enjoy the suspension all the time and pushing my car in a safe manner. I don't know what you mean by numbers and stats don't mean "shit" in the real world.

Maybe a Viper and a Z06 were built for "stats" and "numbers" but cars like the 911GT3, the Miata, the S2000 and the Exige were built for drivers who like a challenging, rewarding, and fun to drive experience. Not every performance car is built for the sole purpose of being fast in a straightline and generating massive amounts of grip. Any true enthusiast would understand this, and its why the Miata has become the best selling roadster in the world.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with the GT-R so lets stay on topic.
I've never driven a Miata (too small and too slow for my tastes), but I can tell you that the Viper and Z06 is challenging, rewarding, and fun to drive. I've driven both cars, so I have first hand experience. Again, I am assuming that you have no real world experience because anyone with a pulse would find a Viper very amusing. Like I stated earlier, every performance car is built with numbers in mind. Albeit, some set the bar lower than others.

So when are you buying your Prius?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

How many track events have you been to? I am assuming zero from your description above.
Been to Beaverun, Putnam, Mid-Ohio, and Summit Point, all multiple times thank you very much. I'll be at Putnam again for a third time this year next Friday on the 5th, so please do attend - I'll be driving the blue S2000.

Again, this is about the GT-R. Stay on topic... PM me if you want to continue about why you think your rustang is great...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

3900lbs is bogus. Its 3500lbs.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Been to Beaverun, Putnam, Mid-Ohio, and Summit Point, all multiple times thank you very much. I'll be at Putnam again for a third time this year next Friday on the 5th, so please do attend - I'll be driving the blue S2000.

Again, this is about the GT-R. Stay on topic... PM me if you want to continue about why you think your rustang is great...
I don't know how a man with such extensive track experience can say "Numbers and stats don't mean shit in the real world. They don't even mean shit in an HPDE." Some skidpad, braking, acceleration, and slalom numbers don't translate onto a road course? You must be one of those guys that takes it easy around the track.

I don't think my "Rustang" is great. It's a good car for the money and I like it. With that being said, you have no clue what's done to my car, so anytime you want to bring your checkbook up this way I am game. You are probably of the mindet that thinks that because it's a Mustang it can't handle well. I've got a buddy that used to have a fully race prepped S2K and know what they are capable of. I also know that a bone stock C5 Z06 run by a pro driver (Ron Fellows) was 3 seconds faster than that race prepped S2K on the same track.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Take it to PM. First and Last warning.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:46 AM
101 years of heartache...

No Manual Transmission option??
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
No Manual Transmission option??
No manual transmission at launch in Japan. It launches with an auto with paddle shifters. I'm sure that their research shows that most Japanese consumers would opt for an auto, and that's why they're starting with it. The other reason would be lack of production for what ever manual they put in the car, and I doubt that's the reason. By the car arrives here next year it may very well be offered with a manual option at launch.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
....CVT?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:04 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

What does markup have to do with the MSRP. The car is valued at ~60ishk according to the manufacturer, period. If some retard wants to pay 20k over for it, thats that individuals problem.

Comparing MSRP to MSRP, I'm sure that the base GTR and the Z06 will play in the same price range.

I don't hate on the Z06 at all. Its a great car, that shows its taillights to much pricier vehicles.

There are def more fun cars to drive than the Z06. I've had the chance to drive the Z06 a few times and to me its not as fun as a Lotus elise, even though ot over powers it by a lot. I think the GTR and Z06 are similar in one way. They are both affordable cars that can beat some of the best on the track and on the street. Like i said before, for daily driving and mods i'd rather have the GTR.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

:agreed:

The GT-R was the first street car to break the 8 second barrier around the Ring.

During the development of the GT-R there was an article a few years ago that said something to the effect of "A Porsche 911 Turbo beating lap time around the Nurburgring has meant more to Nissan engineers than any 0 - 60 time"

Currently, Nissan has 3 different drivers driving 3 different prototypes. Rumor has it that 7:35 has been seen on a track that had "some" damp section. I think finding 7 seconds is a tall order, but if does manage to equal to beat the CGT's time, then it will have done something unbelievable.

Either way, I agree bigman - looks like its time to start saving for a GT-R.
Not enough pennies in my piggy bank, not for a while.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Racer

There are def more fun cars to drive than the Z06. I've had the chance to drive the Z06 a few times and to me its not as fun as a Lotus elise, even though ot over powers it by a lot. I think the GTR and Z06 are similar in one way. They are both affordable cars that can beat some of the best on the track and on the street. Like i said before, for daily driving and mods i'd rather have the GTR.
+1

I think the GTR will definitely be a better DD since it has AWD and back sits, while the Z06 would be more of a weekend car and track warrior...

If i were in a situation where I had choose between the 2, it would really hard for me to choose.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Official Picture of the new GTR and info

C6 z06 Vette Killer

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...8-nissan-gt-r/

After months of spy shots and drip-fed teasers Nissan’s all new GT-R super-coupe has been revealed with the early release of the December issue of MotorTrend. The tagline on the magazine’s cover claims the car is as fast as the Porsche 911 Turbo and is priced less than $80,000, confirming rumors the new GT-R will set a new standard in bang-for-your-buck comparisons.

Other details include the GT-R’s acceleration time of 3.5 seconds for the 0-60mph and 11.7 seconds for the quarter mile. Top speed is claimed to be a staggering 192mph.

Although we still don’t have any official details about the car’s new drivetrain, most are expecting to see a 3.8L V6 engine fed by a pair of turbochargers and mated to a dual-clutch gearbox with the latest ATESSA all-wheel drive setup. The car should measure in at 4,650mm in length and 1,920mm across. There’s rumored to be three different flavors of the new GT-R, starting with a 450hp entry-level model and ranging up to a 530hp flagship. This latter version is expected to be a stripped out racer with plenty of carbon-fiber and a track-tuned suspension.

Stay tuned for the flood of official details and images once the car is revealed at next week’s Tokyo Motor Show.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
C6 z06 Vette Killer

Other details include the GT-R’s acceleration time of 3.5 seconds for the 0-60mph and 11.7 seconds for the quarter mile. Top speed is claimed to be a staggering 192mph.
I don't see these times being that accurate, but then again it may be... should be a sweet ride!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Nice.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
no butt shot?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdog
I don't see these times being that accurate, but then again it may be... should be a sweet ride!
Maybe Nissan is underrating the HP.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Maybe Nissan is underrating the HP.

Yea they are known to do that

11.7 in the 1/4 is amazing. Isnt it around $70k?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sweet! The Corvette is purportedly the 911 killer, so I like the title of Corvette killer. Of course the Vette guys will scoff, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM

yum
Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
IWHI.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:16 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
isnt the base gt-r 70k and then fully loaded around 90k..or am i thinking something else

oh never mind just read the last sentence. so im taking that the base model will outrun the z06..damn that thing is fast as...wow
Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It be quick!!!

Quick Reply: Nissan: GT-R News