Nissan: Altima News

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: updated Altima

Originally posted by domn
So explain to me what you plan on doing with that 30 extra lb-ft.
Better acceleration than the Accord? Nope.
Better Handling? Nope.
Better Interior? Nope.
Better Fuel Mileage? Nope.
More Money? Yup

At least come up with a benifit to that added 30 lb-ft Gilbo. Oh wait, it will feel that much better in around town driving right.
um...you know the camry sedan doesnt have the 3.3 in it yet right? only the solara right now and the auto is not slower than an auto accord.

in the solara(similar numbers in the sedan since they weigh nearly the same)

auto 0-60 in 7secs
braking 60-0mph 122.7 vs accord's 130
slalom 60.9 vs 58.9

these are just some #'s i plucked from edmunds.

and you are right about the torque being good for driving in city conditions.. 30lb/ft is a signifigant number..heck the 157lb/ft the lude could manage is pitiful compared to the bimmer

and if you read the quote correctly... i didnt say i want the camry more...i want the toyota 3.3 V6 b/c it has a better powerband and its smoother too.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:25 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: updated Altima

Originally posted by gilboman
actually if you knew what you were talking about and paid some attention, you would've found out the torque steer is an issue in the new TL b/c of its LSD..the auto's dont suffer from the torque steer as much.
Actually, if you knew what you were talking about (which you don't) the LSD experience isn't what is commonly known as torque steer. Torque steer has to do with uneven balance shafts in FWD cars, what you are constantly faulting the TSX for (yes, I have been paying attention).

um...you know the camry sedan doesnt have the 3.3 in it yet right?
For 2004, the revised Camry SE model does come with the 3.3L V6. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.

What's New for 2004
For 2004, a new 3.3-liter V6 is standard on SE V6 models. Relative to last year's 3.0-liter V6, this engine offers 33 more horsepower and an additional 31 pound-feet of torque, boosting ratings to 225 and 240, respectively. Fortunately, Toyota has also boosted the 3.0-liter engine's output -- it now makes 210 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque in V6-equipped LE and XLE models. Both V6 engines come standard with a five-speed automatic transmission this year. In other news, a new trim has been introduced; the Limited Edition Camry comes in an exclusive crystal-white color, and offers a unique front grille, standard foglamps and champagne-color exterior badging

Edmunds.com

I warned you before, do your homework before you post and make an ass of yourself.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: updated Altima

Originally posted by phile
Actually, if you knew what you were talking about (which you don't) the LSD experience isn't what is commonly known as torque steer. Torque steer has to do with uneven balance shafts in FWD cars, what you are constantly faulting the TSX for (yes, I have been paying attention).

For 2004, the revised Camry SE model does come with the 3.3L V6. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.

What's New for 2004
For 2004, a new 3.3-liter V6 is standard on SE V6 models. Relative to last year's 3.0-liter V6, this engine offers 33 more horsepower and an additional 31 pound-feet of torque, boosting ratings to 225 and 240, respectively. Fortunately, Toyota has also boosted the 3.0-liter engine's output -- it now makes 210 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque in V6-equipped LE and XLE models. Both V6 engines come standard with a five-speed automatic transmission this year. In other news, a new trim has been introduced; the Limited Edition Camry comes in an exclusive crystal-white color, and offers a unique front grille, standard foglamps and champagne-color exterior badging

Edmunds.com

I warned you before, do your homework before you post and make an ass of yourself.
How many times will he get OWNED....bahahaha
Old 02-08-2004, 08:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

I was about to post that, thats for saving me the time.

Although we don;'t know or at least I hav'nt seen performance numbers on the 3.3L Camry yet, I sure the Accord will still own it.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Ah - the irony of Gilbo posting and somewhat raving about a non-Honda FWD car with arguably the most torque steer of any car in the market (save the Maxima ).

I continue to be amused

P.S. Not a bad looking car, but they have GOT to stop putting white out tail lights on cars ... pppllleeeease!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:42 AM
T-R
Advanced

Can you believe that on Nissan boards many people think that this interior looks better than with Navi and that it's almost up there with Passat or even TL (they already decided that it's much better than Accord's)?

Yes, I like Hondas more than Nissans, but despite that I thill think that this interior looks like any GM/Ford interior.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

What's New for 2004

Edmunds.com

what do you call it then when the car likes to steer itself ?

please goto the canadian toyota website and look at the camry V6 opton i said not available yet so there is no comparison btwn the 3.3 V6 in the camry sedan and the V6 accord

i never said it wasnt going to be in the camry...but since it is not available NOW/YET there is no comparison available of course if you could find some intrumented test of the 3.3 V6 camry right now by all means share

your lack of reading comprehension does not seize to amaze me.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: updated Altima

Originally posted by justinjsw
How many times will he get OWNED....bahahaha
read my reply
Old 02-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by provench
Ah - the irony of Gilbo posting and somewhat raving about a non-Honda FWD car with arguably the most torque steer of any car in the market (save the Maxima ).

I continue to be amused

P.S. Not a bad looking car, but they have GOT to stop putting white out tail lights on cars ... pppllleeeease!
i didnt say anything about the altima i posted 3 pics and said it gained around 5hp...how is that raving?:P
Old 02-08-2004, 11:30 AM

That wood is horrific. Just lose it. And c'mon ya'll, your arguing over Maytag vs Kenmore here. Step up your arguing damnit!
Old 02-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah..

... i said not available yet so there is no comparison btwn the 3.3 V6 in the camry sedan and the V6 accord....

i never said it wasnt going to be in the camry...but since it is not available NOW/YET there is no comparison available

...your lack of reading comprehension does not seize to amaze me.
Bahahaha..you're lack of ability to even do a decent job at faking an unbias analysis or observation is what amazes the rest of us.

Now your back tracking about how no comparison can be made and blah blah blah.... but just a few posts ago you said..

..i would much rather have the new toyota V6 with 30lb more of torque
So how do you know that you would 'much' rather have the Toyota V6?...after all there are no comaprison test yet...right?

Could it be ..hmmm...that you rather have it just cause Honda didn't make it? Gilbo you are such a whine..

<Begin whining>
I rather take the Toyota V6 with 30lb of extra torque than the 330's paultry 214lb of torque. It's so much better for city driving.
</end whining>
Old 02-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered AssHat

IBTL

PW + 1
Old 02-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
I saw the new Altima at the Chicago Auto show and these are the following things I like or hate about the car from my observation:

Nicer interior, way better than the previous version's interior, but still cheap though!

More agressive looking headlights and new trademark Nissan grille

Ugly altezza style lights get more uglier!

Yes, its pretty much the same Altima as last year!:P

Thats about it!
I take it that its still filled with hard thin plastics all over the place, and fake metal accents too. My main grip with the interior, is that the dash is all one color.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:43 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: updated Altima

read my reply
You have been owned in so many threads it aint funny any more...so step off the plate son.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

What an ironic statement
Old 02-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

cease or seize ?
Old 02-08-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new altima could've passed for a new sentra IMO...dont care about the extra HP, if I did I would just get a Mustang GT

the toyota 3.3 V6 is nice...same engine in the pricier ES330/RX330...cant complain about that
Old 02-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: updated Altima

Originally posted by Professor Gascan
Nothing like bashing Honda any chance you get eh? You can take the extra 30lb-ft, along with the soggy chassis, brakes, numb steering, and Maytag styling.
it's the only thing he knows how to do
Old 02-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: updated Altima

on a side note..i didnt know the new accord V6's made only 212lb of torque... i would much rather have the new toyota V6 with 30lb more of torque
i would expect a bigger engine to make more torque
Old 02-08-2004, 11:53 PM
04 remembrance

nissan's design was one of those design people couldn't get enough of, but now are consumed and bored by it.

the design sucks, IMO.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Pinky all stinky

please goto the canadian toyota website and look at the camry V6 opton i said not available yet so there is no comparison btwn the 3.3 V6 in the camry sedan and the V6 accord

i never said it wasnt going to be in the camry...but since it is not available NOW/YET there is no comparison available of course if you could find some intrumented test of the 3.3 V6 camry right now by all means share

The LSD in the TL doesn't cause torque steer...for one thing, it's most evident when you're on the move, whereas torque steer happens when you floor the gas pedal from a stand still. I suppose you also call it torque steer when a RWD is fish tailing? Cause the car is essentially steering itself in that case as well.

It's explained best here:
"Oh yes, we've heard all the complaints about torque steer, etc. and let's dispel that right now, this car doesn't have a torque steer problem. The amount of power you choose to deploy through the front tires does influence the steering, but it does so in the manner you choose. But there is a drawback, one present only on the 6-speed model TL as far as we can tell. At very, very light throttle, say as you add a little throttle to maintain speed up a grade, etc. the steering can develop a little wiggle. Nothing major, almost imperceptible most of the time, but it is noticeable in gentle sweepers. Lift off the gas and it goes away, apply more throttle and it disappears again. What's causing this? It's the LSD stupid! (that's directed at the auto mags who've been bitching about torque steer, not you dear, intelligent and well informed readers). At very light throttle openings you're right on the verge of where the LSD really begins to take action and when it does it helps steer the wheels into a corner, hence the slight variation in steering angle. Combined with the very quick steering, especially off-center, and you get a little movement in the wheel, if not in the path of the car."

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=193192

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...5f2%5fe%2ehtml

Pay attention to the part about the new V6 option, gilbo (and this is Canada's website):

Just because you can't find a review about it doesn't mean the car's not available. Again, do your homework before you post. I'm tired of disproving you.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:54 PM
T-R
Advanced

Not to mention that new BMW 5 series have this adaptive steering (don't remember the exact name). So I guess new 5 series also have torque steer huh? I mean many reviewers complain that the car kinda steers itself.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:29 PM

Uhh T-R, the 5 has always been RWD. No such thing as torque steer in a RWD car........
Old 02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Uhh T-R, the 5 has always been RWD. No such thing as torque steer in a RWD car........
Uhhh...he was referring to what I said about fish tailing. Try to follow the conversation here.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Teh ?

Uhhh...he was referring to what I said about fish tailing. Try to follow the conversation here.
hmmm... kinda don't want to jump in on this, but...

I don't know, it's kinda hard comparing fish-tailing to torque steer. With torque steer, you almost have no control due to the steering being taken over by the torque delivery to the front wheels. Fish tailing has the rear rolling 'bout, but doesn't hinder your ability to at least try and point the vehicle to a certain direction.

With that whole BMW adaptive steering, I would definitely want to give it a go to see what it feels like. What cars is that program available on? I've read some who've loved it, and some who loath it, so it would be interesting to see how it feels.

Junkster, who loves how Gilbo gets everyone riled up.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
T-R
Advanced

Actualy guys, I was referring to gilbo's statement:
Of course I know that 5 is RWD and that TQ steer is only on FWD. But using his logic, BMW's active steering qualifies as a TQ steer (which is obviosly not true). That's all.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by Junkster
hmmm... kinda don't want to jump in on this, but...

I don't know, it's kinda hard comparing fish-tailing to torque steer. With torque steer, you almost have no control due to the steering being taken over by the torque delivery to the front wheels. Fish tailing has the rear rolling 'bout, but doesn't hinder your ability to at least try and point the vehicle to a certain direction.

*sigh* People, read the whole goddam conversation...

Gilbo says the TL has torque steer because of the LSD. I point out that the LSD, through the explanation from the TOV article, is the culprit for what is causing the TL to pull - it is not torque steer in the usual sense, where you stomp the gas pedal from a stand still and the FWD car pulls left and right. He then rhetorically asks what it's called when a car is pulling itself (if it isn't torque steer), hence I bring up the analogy of fish tailing in a RWD because in that case, as well, the car is steering itself. And yes, junkster, you can steer a RWD car out of fish tailing, just as you can steer the TL out of the LSD glitch - both of which are not torque steering issues, which I was trying to point out to Gilbo.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
makes sense to me....
Old 02-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Pot calling the kettle black? Accord and Camry are equals in my book. Interior looks way better that that crap before. And jeez, who doesn't have 3 pod gauges and chrome/aluminum trim nowadays. It's too old and cliche now.

Overall, good work Nissan on improving a good rental car.
As for the 3 pod gauges go, Jag had'em first I believe. Acura started using them on the '95 RL. Only in '99 did the TL start using them so I'd say that Nissan is playing copy cat.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:49 PM
What, me drive fast?

The front lights and grill look different from the 04's but other than that it isn't a huge change. The interior looks pretty cool but I have never seen the current ones interior.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by Dan Martin
makes sense to me....
Thanks, it's nice to know someone understands what I'm trying to write, even if it's a bit convulated and requires going back several posts.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

somebody take away gilbo's shovel.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Hate to say it, but Gilbo may have a point here. Just finished reading the latest MT with has a comparo of the Accord Coupe 6M, Camry Solara SE V6 and Chrysler Sebring. The Accord blazed through 0-60 in 6.3 and the 1/4 mile in 14.8. The Auto Solara was not far behind at 6.6 and 15.0. Thats pretty damn good for an Auto car.

Then again I've seen the Accord Coupe get below 6 sec and through the 1/4 mile in 14.5, so who knows.

The Accord won the comparo BTW with the Solara second and the Sebring a distant, distant 3rd place.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Racer

My amazement has been siezed.

I have never been attracted to Nissan styling, IMO it is best suited for the rental car companies. I have always been a Honda fan, until this gen of Accord reared its ugly face. Still though, it looks better to me than any other Japanese product line.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Racer

How about that new 300HP Mustang though? Almost cool enough to lure me back to Ford.

Now there's some relatively low cost performance, if that's what you are looking for.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Teh ?

Okay, it all makes sense now. Just didn't quite follow what was tryin' to be said.

Junkster, who should've just stayed out of it.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by duugk
My amazement has been siezed.....

This whole thread is hilarious.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny how the threads gilbo or buff starts always have a gazillion replies...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by dabuda2004
funny how the threads gilbo or buff starts always have a gazillion replies...
Everybody loves to hate Gilbo and Buff-Daddy.

And besides, has Gilbo ever been right? about anything?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by domn
Hate to say it, but Gilbo may have a point here. Just finished reading the latest MT with has a comparo of the Accord Coupe 6M, Camry Solara SE V6 and Chrysler Sebring. The Accord blazed through 0-60 in 6.3 and the 1/4 mile in 14.8. The Auto Solara was not far behind at 6.6 and 15.0. Thats pretty damn good for an Auto car.

Then again I've seen the Accord Coupe get below 6 sec and through the 1/4 mile in 14.5, so who knows.

The Accord won the comparo BTW with the Solara second and the Sebring a distant, distant 3rd place.
I too read that comparo - the Accord pretty much stole the show in most testing categories, it got perfect points in most of the ratings. But against the torquey 3.3L on the Solara, it really is no match. Testing showed that the Solara was consistently ahead of the Accord only until 50-60 mph, where the Accord finally pulls ahead, and this was with a manual Accord vs an auto Solara.

Quick Reply: Nissan: Altima News