Nissan: 370Z News

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
last time I let you drive my car.

Originally Posted by srika
I've arrived at this conclusion after having driven one. I was cruising at 80 mph on the highway and punched it, it was accelerating, just not too quickly - I was in the optimal gear too. Again, when they put two turbos on this thing, it's gonna be killer. The only real problem I have with it is that I think its underpowered... which the TT's will take care of.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cusdaddy
BTW, I agree with the statements made by others that a stock Z will beat a stock Supra in a road course. I won't argue this, but the Z is VERY quick in road courses.
It really depends on what type of roadcourse it is. If the course is setup for high hp cars, such as Road America, the Supra will probably post quicker lap times. A track such as gingerman, rewards cars that are able to carry speed through the corners, which IMO the Z would post a quicker lap time.

A lot of people seem to forget though that the driver is the most important part in posting quick times. My friend had a professional driver doing testing last year at Gingerman and took out their tow vehicle(Cadillac Escalade). The pro was able to catch and pass a lot of the cars on the track, which included various Bimmers and Vettes. Motor Trend had Ron Fellows drive a bone stock Z06 around Gingerman and ran 1:33. My friend used to own the same car, but with Goodyear race slicks and PF pads and ran a best time of 1:32 on his lap timer. The difference between a real professional driver and above average SCCA racers or open lappers is huge.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I've driven a Z, an STi, and a Supra. The Supra will walk all those cars above 80; I'm definitely with Srika on this one. But out of all the cars, I gotta admit the Z was by far the most fun!! Torque, N/A (it easily revs), the sound it makes, plus RWD rules!! The STi is no slouch either, I was soo freakin surprised on how hard it pulled to about 80~90mph. Unreal how quick that car is stock. By far the quickest feeling car I've driven; next to a BPU+ Supra! The Supra (stock 6-speed) didn't feel fast to me for some reason, but I knew it was because the speedometer was flyin, but it belongs in the highway; that's where it shines; in the upper rev band. But if I were to buy a car purely based on fun factor right now; it'll definitely be the Z!! I haven't felt more confident in any car, besides my R. Seriously for all you doubters out there drive em all and see for yourself!
-Justin
Old 08-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
first, and last, I suppose... I really didn't want to "go there"... ummm... I was coerced by "zeroday". so umm... I agree I like the low-rev torque of the Z. The Supra doesn't have much torque at low rev's.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

ok, I guess acceleration and performance is subjective...
Compared to your old modified Supra, of course the Z will feel slow, but my point was not about how fast the car is, but that third gear acceleration in the Z is the strongest. It's far from slow, but again, no way near as fast as your old Supra.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Maximized
The bounce is present all the time, you are probably just used to it. Nissan didn't properly tune the suspension IMO. My friend has an S-tune suspension(which supposedly helps cure the bounce) and it's still present. My friends Z06 doesnt ride as stiff, nor does my brothers M3 with ground control coilovers.
Again, as I said previously, only the 2003 model year Z has the bounce. The 2004 model got a redesigned suspension that eliminated it.

Finally, I drive the car every day, so I know what I'm talking about. If you don't believe me, read on my350z.com. It's NOT always present. It's only present under specific road conditions such as uneven pavement.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
$42k in 1993 is equivalent to $52.5k today ... That would go directly against an M3.

*shrug*
Actually the Supra TT did hit $50K (and even more) in and around 1996. Srika might remember the infamous (for, at that time, current owners of the Supra TT) $10K drop in price by Toyota as a last effort to move the last of the Supras left in stock before the indefinate discontiuation of the car.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I've arrived at this conclusion after having driven one. I was cruising at 80 mph on the highway and punched it, it was accelerating, just not too quickly - I was in the optimal gear too. Again, when they put two turbos on this thing, it's gonna be killer. The only real problem I have with it is that I think its underpowered... which the TT's will take care of.

Underpowered compared to a 13.1 in the 1/4 mile car, maybe. But in general, the Z is not underpowered. That engine is a beauty and the weight of the car and its gear ratios are also fine.

I mean come on. We call a mid 5s in the 60 car underpowered. Where has the world come to?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yes it was a TT. When the Supra came out R&T did a comparo with the Ferrari 512TR and Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 - they came to the conclusion that it definitely was not as exotic as those two, but performance-wise it was very very close, surprisingly close. Maybe people have forgotten how good a car it was, in all areas. I remember in one of the first big magazine comparo tests, it was the Supra, Viper RT/10, RX-7, NSX, LT4 Vette, and 3000GT VR4, I may be missing one. The Supra was first in all areas except top speed, only because it was limited to 155 mph.
I dont remember such good accolades for the S-TT by the press, but I dont doubt them either.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

not sure what you mean by this.. these are stats for a US-spec car..
I was trying to make 2 points:

1. Look at how tight the gear ratios are (by looking at the top speed for each gear)

and

2. Look at :
2a. 2nd gear topping at exactly 62 mph which is 100 k/h which is what Europeans measure accelration for
2b. Look that at the end of the 1/4 mile, the trap speed is just 2mph less than where 4th gear tops.

All of that is completely intentional by the Supra engineers. Bottom line? The car was geared for the ultimate times in acceleration measured by magazines. 0-60 mph, 0-100 k/h and 1/4 mile. In Europe they also measure 0-1000 meters which I am sure if we had stats of, it would also show intention with the gears ratios.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Can't say its fair to take the best z time against the slowest supratt time. And for the weight and handling, the new tacoma xrunner is almost definately going to weigh more than a Z, and toyota has already claimed it has outhandled the z so its possible.
You know the more I think about this the more it does not make sense.

A car that weighs 3500 pounds cannot do 0-60 in 4.6 and 1/4 mile in 13.1 with 320HP. Even with those ultimate gear ratios. This is more like 380HP.

Srika as an ex-owner, what have you heard about Supra TT engines being under-rated. If anything?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BTW, the Z is not that heavy as some make it out to be. It's not a lightweight, but it's still only ~3150 lbs, which isn't bad at all. In smaller AutoX courses, it does have a disadvantage compared to cars such as the S2000.
Exactly. I was just going to...remind you of that...when I saw you mention its weight as a disadvantage above that above statement of yours.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

ok, I guess acceleration and performance is subjective...

I am guessing what he menas and what I am trying to tell you also is that if you got the Z in a number of different tracks with cars like the 911, you'd be surprised at the results.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The bounce is present all the time, you are probably just used to it. Nissan didn't properly tune the suspension IMO. My friend has an S-tune suspension(which supposedly helps cure the bounce) and it's still present. My friends Z06 doesnt ride as stiff, nor does my brothers M3 with ground control coilovers.
I agree about the stiff ride of the Z. It's close to harsh, especially in the TRACK model.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by synth19
The only thing I can think of, of what might have happened with Srika and the 80mph+ run is the fact the Z's engine has a little bit of a weak spot at the top end of its rpm range. And if he hit 3rd at above 5K rpm, he may have gotten a little bit disappointed.

Or maybe there was something wrong with the car. Who knows.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

It really depends on what type of roadcourse it is. If the course is setup for high hp cars, such as Road America, the Supra will probably post quicker lap times. A track such as gingerman, rewards cars that are able to carry speed through the corners, which IMO the Z would post a quicker lap time.

A lot of people seem to forget though that the driver is the most important part in posting quick times. My friend had a professional driver doing testing last year at Gingerman and took out their tow vehicle(Cadillac Escalade). The pro was able to catch and pass a lot of the cars on the track, which included various Bimmers and Vettes. Motor Trend had Ron Fellows drive a bone stock Z06 around Gingerman and ran 1:33. My friend used to own the same car, but with Goodyear race slicks and PF pads and ran a best time of 1:32 on his lap timer. The difference between a real professional driver and above average SCCA racers or open lappers is huge.

True and true to both paragraphs.

That's why I later wrote "a number of different tracks" so that we average out the "type of track" criterion and to the second paragraph: when we talk about a track comparo we keep the driver criterion/factor always constant, as a self explanatory rule.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by importtuner
I've driven a Z, an STi, and a Supra. The Supra will walk all those cars above 80; I'm definitely with Srika on this one. But out of all the cars, I gotta admit the Z was by far the most fun!! Torque, N/A (it easily revs), the sound it makes, plus RWD rules!! The STi is no slouch either, I was soo freakin surprised on how hard it pulled to about 80~90mph. Unreal how quick that car is stock. By far the quickest feeling car I've driven; next to a BPU+ Supra! The Supra (stock 6-speed) didn't feel fast to me for some reason, but I knew it was because the speedometer was flyin, but it belongs in the highway; that's where it shines; in the upper rev band. But if I were to buy a car purely based on fun factor right now; it'll definitely be the Z!! I haven't felt more confident in any car, besides my R. Seriously for all you doubters out there drive em all and see for yourself!
-Justin
I cant disagree with the above.

One thing I remember about the Supra TT from magazine testing was the fact that the car was "tuned" to be really quiet for its class. That fact in itself takes away from the fun-factor of a...sports car. Not that there is anything wrong with a sports car being quiet. I for one, prefer it. That's one of the differentiators of a GT versus a sports car. The Supra is a GT, the Z is a Sports Car.

So your statement above, combined with what I remember reading from mag testers, make sense.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gavriil
You know the more I think about this the more it does not make sense.

A car that weighs 3500 pounds cannot do 0-60 in 4.6 and 1/4 mile in 13.1 with 320HP. Even with those ultimate gear ratios. This is more like 380HP.

Srika as an ex-owner, what have you heard about Supra TT engines being under-rated. If anything?
yeah they were underrated.. it was making more like ~360 hp stock
Old 08-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

One thing I remember about the Supra TT from magazine testing was the fact that the car was "tuned" to be really quiet for its class. That fact in itself takes away from the fun-factor of a...sports car. Not that there is anything wrong with a sports car being quiet. I for one, prefer it. That's one of the differentiators of a GT versus a sports car. The Supra is a GT, the Z is a Sports Car.

So your statement above, combined with what I remember reading from mag testers, make sense.
you're right, the Supra is a GT and Z is a sports car.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

One thing I remember about the Supra TT from magazine testing was the fact that the car was "tuned" to be really quiet for its class. That fact in itself takes away from the fun-factor of a...sports car. Not that there is anything wrong with a sports car being quiet. I for one, prefer it.
I agree on this also, for instance the S2000 has much higher fun factor than Supra, esp the older ones with the 9k redline. And yes it was very quiet stock, too quiet for me but aftermarket exhaust solves that. Actually that was still relatively quiet, at least the exhaust I got, so one day I removed the cat-back portion of the exhaust (including muffler), now that was some fun factor.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

The only thing I can think of, of what might have happened with Srika and the 80mph+ run is the fact the Z's engine has a little bit of a weak spot at the top end of its rpm range. And if he hit 3rd at above 5K rpm, he may have gotten a little bit disappointed.

Or maybe there was something wrong with the car. Who knows.
it was at the upper end of the rev's where the car seemed to be "running out of steam"... do Z peeps typically short-shift, then?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

350Z Coupe

The high performance Nissan Z®, which comes with a standard 3.5-liter DOHC V6 engine, has sold over 70,000 units since its introduction to the U.S. market in August 2002. The stylish, 287-horsepower 350Z continues the Z heritage of design, performance and value that has remained unchallenged since the original Datsun 240Z was introduced 35 years ago as a 1970 model. In 2005, the 350Z adds only minor enhancements.

Enhancements to the 2005 350Z Coupe:
· Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
· Clutch pedal effort has been reduced for easier operation
· 5-speed automatic transmission features downshift rev matching
· Standard driver’s seat front and rear lifter
· Heated outside mirrors
· Faster navigation system processor for improved route calculation times
· Newly available Ultra-Yellow exterior color (Liquid Aluminum exterior no longer available)

350Z Roadster

The 350Z Roadster offers sports car lovers high performance excitement and dynamic driving experience, but with an open top. Featuring a power-operated soft top with glass rear window, the Z® Roadster is designed to transform from top-up to top-down in 20 seconds. The fully automatic soft top stows compactly under a lightweight tonneau cover, completely hiding the top when down. The Z Roadster will continue to offer the powerful 3.5-liter DOHC V6 producing 287 horsepower and 274 lb-ft torque.

Enhancements to the 2005 350Z Roadster include:
· Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
· Clutch pedal effort has been reduced for easier operation
· 5-speed automatic transmission features downshift rev matching
· Standard driver’s seat front and rear lifter (except for net seat design)
· Heated outside mirrors
· Faster navigation system processor for improved route calculation times
· Newly available Ultra-Yellow exterior color (Liquid Aluminum exterior no longer available)

Source: Autospies
Old 09-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Pics of the new Yellow 350z

Stole these from another site... Can't really tell from these pics..but sorta kinda reminds me of my friend's S2k yellow....

Old 09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

i dont like...in my opinioni'd get the standard Z
Old 09-10-2004, 08:18 PM

I like that color on the Z. The Axis Z with the yellow inside was nice when I saw it. good color for the car.
The convertible Z looks atrocious. It NEEDS the top, part of the distictive styling.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

that look kinda like orange juice....

kumar
Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 PM
__

reminds me of a bananna from those "runts" candies
Old 09-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Saw one tonight. Looked good to me.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:59 AM
That's Racist

I dont' think I'd be able to pull off a yellow car. Just something about my skin color matching the body color of my car. Alil' off.

-The Z however... looks good, hard top and or convertible IMO.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:25 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
not bad
Old 09-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Instructor

its alright
Old 09-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

Nissan Releases Photo of 35th Anniversary 350Z

GARDENA, Calif. (September 16, 2004) – In 1970, the original Datsun 240Z changed the sports car landscape in North America with its ingenious approach to performance, technology and design. The Z®‘s rebellious spirit continues stronger than ever in 2005 with the arrival of a special 35th Anniversary 350Z offering 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, Brembo® brakes, front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, available two-tone leather-appointed seats and a choice of three exterior colors, including a new Ultra Yellow. The 35th Anniversary 350Z will also feature a higher level of horsepower.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Work safe avatar bish :D

Originally Posted by heyitsme
GARDENA, Calif. (September 16, 2004) – In 1970, the original Datsun 240Z changed the sports car landscape in North America with its ingenious approach to performance, technology and design. The Z®‘s rebellious spirit continues stronger than ever in 2005 with the arrival of a special 35th Anniversary 350Z offering 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, Brembo® brakes, front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, available two-tone leather-appointed seats and a choice of three exterior colors, including a new Ultra Yellow. The 35th Anniversary 350Z will also feature a higher level of horsepower.

hot
Old 09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

05 Track Z to get 300hp..............guess the anniv model will as well.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beltfed
05 Track Z to get 300hp..............guess the anniv model will as well.

The Track and 35th Anniversay model are getting the slightly modified VQ engine that the 2005 G35c 6-speed will use but with 2 more hp. Sounds great at first, but there is a disadvantage.

The new VQ engine now has a 7000rpm redline vs 6600 for the regular VQ. It also has an increase of 13hp, (300hp vs 287hp) but it now loses 14lb/ft of torque (260lb/ft vs. 274lb/ft) compared to the regular VQ.

So basically, an increase of 13hp, but a loss of 14lb/ft of torque. I doubt this will do much to improve acceleration, and I think I prefer the regular engine with more torque, as 13hp can be gained through adding an aftermarket Intake & Exhaust with no loss in torque.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

The Track and 35th Anniversay model are getting the slightly modified VQ engine that the 2005 G35c 6-speed will use but with 2 more hp. Sounds great at first, but there is a disadvantage.

The new VQ engine now has a 7000rpm redline vs 6600 for the regular VQ. It also has an increase of 13hp, (300hp vs 287hp) but it now loses 14lb/ft of torque (260lb/ft vs. 274lb/ft) compared to the regular VQ.

So basically, an increase of 13hp, but a loss of 14lb/ft of torque. I doubt this will do much to improve acceleration, and I think I prefer the regular engine with more torque, as 13hp can be gained through adding an aftermarket Intake & Exhaust with no loss in torque.
I would have liked to seen a lot more power. 300 hp isnt going to cut it. I would have liked to seen 325 or more, which would put the car into the mid to low 13s.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

The document linked below details the power changes. The figures are located at the the top right of page 3. It shows the increase in HP to 300, but decrease in Torque to 260 for both the Track and 35th Anniversary model.

http://www.nissanusa.com/buying/Ebro...m_encoding=UTF -
Old 09-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Why they lower the torque? Is the VQ engine pushing to its limits with 300hp?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Why they lower the torque? Is the VQ engine pushing to its limits with 300hp?
One of the reasons is car makers desires to publish and advertise peak horspower ratings. 7,000 RPM is a Honda engine. That is screaming!

Funny thing is this car and the new RL have the same power ratings from the same size engine.
3.5 liter V-6 with 300hp and 260lbs torque. I wonder where the RL makes it's peak power in the rev-line.

Considering the old 3.0 made 222hp and needed twin turbos to make 300 horses, the naturally aspirated 3.5 VQ making 300 horses is technology getting better.

The loss of torque has to be b/c the VQ can make more power at higher revs but loses torque.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Considering the old 3.0 made 222hp and needed twin turbos to make 300 horses, the naturally aspirated 3.5 VQ making 300 horses is technology getting better.
Those are 2 completely different engines.

Quick Reply: Nissan: 370Z News