New spy cams in England

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New spy cams in England

New spy cams on way - - By Ross Pinnock
- - Source: Autoexpress

A new breed of red light camera is set for the UK, Auto Express can reveal. It uses radar technology, rather than sensors in the road, to tell if a driver has failed to stop. This means that unlike with current systems there's no need to dig up the tarmac, which is costly and disrupts traffic, to install the spy cameras.

Made by Gatsometer, the Dutch firm that produces Gatso speed traps, the device can monitor four lanes at once and be used on multi-lane carriageways.

What's more, the lack of under-road sensors makes it ideal for patrolling level crossings, where the rails often prevent existing technology being used. A spokesman for Serco, Gatsometer's British importer, explained: "The new camera is cheaper and easier to install. It is currently undergoing testing and needs approval from the Home Office before we can use it in the UK." Meanwhile, another revolutionary spy camera has been devised to catch motorists who misuse car-sharing lanes. Called Cyclops, it uses infra-red technology to detect the presence of a driver and passenger by recognising skin tones. The Department for Trans-port is considering using it to police the M1 car share lane, set to go live bet-ween junction 7 at St Albans, Herts, and 10 at Milton Keynes South, Bucks.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like the second cam which can tell how many people are in a car.

I see WAY too many cars and trucks go through red lights these days. We need these.

Until I heard about what happened in DC. I heard that there was a study done that revealed that these cams resulted in an astounding increase of rear end collision accidents because people were, supposedly, too nervous about the presence of the camera. The data was so categoric apparently that a very conservative committee had no choice but to ask for their removal.

People from VA, is that true?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
The cameras will be destroyed. I can't remember where I saw it, but they have speed cameras in europe where if a person is going too fast they will get a ticket sent in the mail. They were vandalized or trashed.