Mitsubishi: Lancer News

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
$35k for an Evo!

This car is one hell of a bargain, per the initial reviews. Show me a car under 40K that will perform as well. The closest thing will be the Vette.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Maximized
This car is one hell of a bargain, per the initial reviews. Show me a car under 40K that will perform as well. The closest thing will be the Vette.
or a car that can pull 0.97g on the skid pad
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jackygor
or a car that can pull 0.97g on the skid pad
The chassis has been really stiffened up and the AWD system is trick. I might buy one of these in two years or so. I want to wait for the aftermarket to learn this new motor
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 AM
whut

The 135i may give it a run but 0.97 on the skidpad is just hellacious. The TC-SST is also very, very cool and BMW currently has nothing to match that. It'll be interesting to see how they compare on the track. Plus, both are FI and friendly to mods (I assume/hope that Mitsu's 4B11 can be pumped up...).

This is becoming a tired phrase but we're truly in another golden age of automobiles!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Racer

One of the most anticipated cars of 2007 is finally here—the 2008 Lancer Evolution X, which goes on sale Oct. 1 in Japan (January in the U.S., where it is dubbed simply Evolution). We recently sampled the new Japan-spec car around the handling course at Mitsubishi’s proving grounds in Hokkaido and were pleasantly surprised at how this iconic rally-bred machine has evolved.

Aesthetically, the folks at Mitsubishi have done a great job in carrying over the Evolution DNA to this 10th incarnation. Both the aggressive front air dam, almost unchanged from the Concept X show car, and the slanted headlights make the car instantly recognizable. To help keep the all-new aluminum engine cool, the hood features a large central air duct and a pair of air outlets, while the trunk spoiler and diffuser work in conjunction to help keep the car planted at high speeds. It’s only the Alfa Romeo-ish rear lights that spoil the show in what is a very stylish car.

The base GSR model comes with 18-inch Enkei wheels; order the MR and your Evolution X will be fitted with lightweight BBS wheels, saving about two pounds per wheel. But it doesn’t end there; the package also includes more aggressively tuned Bilstein dampers, a set of lighter two-piece brake discs and very sticky Yokohama A13 tires. We’d pick the MR upgrade with our eyes closed, as the difference it makes out on the road is marked, even if you do sacrifice a bit of ride comfort. But if you are looking for comfort, the Lancer Evolution X is not the car for you.

It takes one look at the interior to realize that this is a car made for the sole purpose of having fun. The very supportive Recaro bucket seats take center stage, while the rest of the cabin benefits from touches like the twin-binnacle instrumentation and sport steering wheel. Despite the design being a step up from the Evolution IX, we were disappointed by the quality of the plastics, which are very hard and easy to scratch.

Mitsubishi has stepped up performance with a host of new additions. The all-new 2.0-liter MIVEC turbocharged engine features an all-aluminum construction and a more responsive mid-range punching out 280 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque in Japan-spec models (U.S. spec is 295 hp and 300 lb-ft). But the biggest addition is the optional Twin-Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission. Operated by two paddles behind the steering wheel, it offers seamless and lightning-fast shifts and smooth rev-matched downshifts. Three shift modes dictate the smoothness and speed of changes as well as how aggressively the engine revs are used. We found the TC-SST very impressive—so much so that we can recommend it over the five-speed manual with little hesitation.

Handling also gets attention and new electronics, with yaw control torque vectoring on the rear differential combined with a more advanced center differential, faster-reacting ABS and all-new Active Stability Control. These combine to give optimal grip and handling in any situation and allow the driver to push right to the limit.

With the far stiffer body and redesigned rear suspension, the Lancer Evolution X has once again stepped up its game. We await what Subaru will do with its new WRX STI to keep pace.
http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...309280001/1065
Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Racer

Evo X is offically offical! ;)

http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/p...etail1682.html
Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 AM
101 years of heartache...

If this comes with the Mitsubishi 10 Year Warranty, this car will sell like hotcakes!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sick with it

Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
that looks pretty mean...
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
GSI
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Nice
Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i was reading in autoweek that the MR version will not be tunable because of the twin clutch tranny, the regular evo x is gonna be the one that the tuners will be buying.

wow, the picture of that silver evo looks amazing!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
i was reading in autoweek that the MR version will not be tunable because of the twin clutch tranny, the regular evo x is gonna be the one that the tuners will be buying.

wow, the picture of that silver evo looks amazing!
yeah i was thinkin the same... how much will that tranny actually tolerate...

numbers will eventually come out with tuners fucking around with it til it blows...
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
sick with it
definitely sick with it...
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
badazzfosho
Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Drifting

sti will be getting buttfcked big time.

i'll be curious to see the sales numbers 6 months into general release for both the evox and sti...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR

Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation announces today that it will launch the Lancer Evolution X high-performance 4WD sedan, newest of the company's legendary vehicles, on October 1 at dealerships throughout Japan. Featuring a new platform, engine, and exterior and interior designs, the totally redesigned

The development goal for the new Lancer Evolution X was to make the car as fast as possible, while also making it as safe to drive as possible. To that end Lancer Evolution X is loaded with the very latest in automotive engineering technology, including the S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control) vehicle dynamics control system and the newly developed, power-efficient Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission). Lancer Evolution X is a new-generation high-performance 4WD sedan that allows a new category of driver access to Mitsubishi's dynamic driving experience by underpinning speed with control, security and safety.

All Lancer Evolution X GSR models are fitted with the S-AWC vehicle dynamics control system. The system intelligently manages several component systems to regulate drive torque and braking force at each wheel, reading and reflecting driver intent in real time over a wide range of situations. This allows drivers of all abilities to enjoy sporty driving with peace of mind.

Sporting the S-AWC and Twin Clutch SST and other cutting-edge automotive technology as well as a more comprehensive functional and convenience equipment specification, the GSR trim level (also available with a 5-speed manual transmission) leads the new Lancer Evolution X lineup. The lineup also continues to offer the RS competition base model, with a less comprehensive and simplified equipment specification to reduce weight to a minimum.

The exterior is crafted with sophisticated and aggressive styling to give the low-and-wide squat stance body an aerodynamically clean profile that flows liquidly from the inverted-slant nose over the roof to the tail end, using wind-tunnel proven aero parts. The oversize rear spoiler - standard on the GSR - uses a twisted-section wing panel with different attack angles at its ends and in the center portion to match the airflow over the body surface. A large undercover rectifies underbody airflow for better aerodynamics and also improves drivetrain cooling. The underside of the rear bumper employs a diffuser design that helps to exhaust the underbody airflow more effectively and also adds a distinguishing touch to the rear view.

The interior design places emphasis on functional and operational elements to encourage and allow the driver to concentrate on operating his machine while at the same time realizing levels of comfort and quality that expected in a new-generation sports sedan. Seats are done by Recaro - well-known for providing excellent location, hold, and for alleviating fatigue on longer journeys - with a new full bucket front seat design. Lancer Evolution X uses a small diameter steering wheel designed for smooth operation; its genuine leather wrap provides a positive and comfortable fitment to the hand. For optimum operability the S-AWC mode selector is located on the left spoke.

Lancer Evolution X is powered by a new turbocharged engine that adds a high-performance turbocharger to the 4B11-type 2.0-liter 4-cylinder 16-valve DOHC MIVEC unit used in the Galant Fortis. Developing more power over the full rev range, this engine generates more torque at 422 Nm (43.0 kg-m)/3500 rpm and has better response than its 4G63 predecessor. The new engine is also lighter and returns better environmental performance.

The GSR is available with the new Twin Clutch SST 6-speed automated manual transmission that eliminates the need for a clutch pedal and provides slick, smooth shifting. Twin Clutch SST puts odd (1st, 3rd, 5th) and even (2nd, 4th and 6th) gears on separate input shafts each with its own clutch and, through tight cooperative control with the engine, switches between these clutches to realize seamless and lightning-fast shifting for feel-good acceleration. Because it uses clutches rather than a torque converter to transmit power, Twin Clutch SST allows superior power transmission efficiency with little loss of motive power and returns excellent fuel economy. Twin Clutch SST models are fitted as standard with steering column-mounted lightweight magnesium paddle shifters that allow the driver to shift manually without taking his hand off the steering wheel. For drivers who enjoy having more direct control over their machine, the GSR is available with a new 5-speed manual transmission.

While based on the MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension arrangement used on previous models in the series, Lancer Evolution X features a revamped suspension layout with wider tracks and 18-inch tires. Geometry optimization and greater stiffness in the mountings maximizes the contact patch and allows S-AWC to perform to its full potential as well as bringing improved straight line stability, cornering and ride.

GSR comes standard with 245/40R18 wide and low-aspect tires on 18-inch Enkei 12-spoke high-rigidity cast alloy wheels. 18-inch BBS lightweight alloy wheels are also available as a factory-fitted option for GSR and add a distinctive custom touch with a luster finish. GSR comes standard with brembo 18-inch front and 17-inch rear ventilated disc brakes. The increased disc size improves stopping power and fade resistance as well as improving brake pedal feel.

The factory-fitted High Performance Package comprises the Bilstein single tube shock absorbers and Eibach coil springs used on Lancer Evolution IX MR. It also includes brembo 2-piece disc brakes that realize a saving of 1.3 kg at each wheel and high performance tires with stiffer walls and better grip. This package brings further improvements in grip, steering response, stability and cornering.

The GSR trim level comes with Mitsubishi Motors' own 4WD vehicle dynamics control system S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control) standard. S-AWC uses integrated management to exert high-precision control on drive torque and brake force at each wheel to enhance cornering and stability under all conditions thereby producing vehicle behavior that faithfully reflects driver intent. The Active Center Differential uses an electronically-controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch to optimize front/rear wheel torque split and thereby produce the best balance between traction and steering response.

AYC uses a torque transfer mechanism in the rear differential to control rear wheel torque differential for different driving conditions and so limit the yaw moment that acts on the vehicle body and thus enhance cornering performance. AYC now features yaw rate feedback control using a yaw rate sensor to more accurately determine the cornering dynamics on a real-time basis. And the addition of braking force control allows the system to realize vehicle behavior that more closely mirrors driver intent.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
_____ like a rabbit

i like the seats from the 9 way more then these...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
101 years of heartache...

wow that front end is mean.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Racer

i want one...
Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
i want two...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

". GSR comes standard with brembo 18-inch front and 17-inch rear ventilated disc brakes."

Those are big brakes!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Racer

". GSR comes standard with brembo 18-inch front and 17-inch rear ventilated disc brakes."

Those are big brakes!
Its a typo lol

its like 13.8 front and 13 back
Old 10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Drifting

i want one
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Racer

WHITE FTMFW
Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
For those that like it, I hope it lives up to your expectations.

I wouldn't buy one. Something has been lost in translation from the concept. The dashboard looks like a Uhaul and it's $36k!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by charliemike

I wouldn't buy one. Something has been lost in translation from the concept. The dashboard looks like a Uhaul and it's $36k!
Nothing got lost in translation, looks very similar to the concept. The last Gen interior was nothing to write home about either, its not a luxury car.

The new model has functions on the SW, optional Nav system, optional leather, typical power features.

If you're looking for a BMW or Lexus interior, the Evo isn't for you.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

The car has a bit of wheel gap, but the aftermarket will easily solve that. I am really digging the new look! Much more refined looking than the previous EVO. I always thought that it looked a bit ricey.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jackygor
WHITE FTMFW
no doubt. give me one without the spoiler though, and i'll be good
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Racer

Evo X on Topgear blog

wow, very positive review, the more i read these things the more I want it!

"At a test track in the hills high above the northern Japanese city of Obihiro, I've just thrashed seven shades of you-know-what out of Mitsubishi's new Lancer Evo X and I'm suffering techno-shock.

Crafty Mitsubishi has built a mini-Nordschleife at its home proving ground, and the Evo X will lap it about as quickly as any vehicle on the planet.

Keep your foot in and it'll blast through a thrilling sequence of left-right-left third-gear corners in a way that will have your jowls flapping as if you're strapped into one of those g-machines used to train astronauts.

Throttle off suddenly or give the car a quick 'Scandinavian flick' - even if it's not a very good one - and the back end suddenly becomes very mobile indeed. The steering and body control are both incredible.

And if you're very brave, talented or perhaps just heroically stupid, the Evo X can be coaxed into the most mammoth four-wheel drifts. This car is very fast, astoundingly well-engineered, and barking mad. It does exactly what you want it to do, and yet you have no real idea how it's doing it.

The car you see here develops around 276bhp (at 7,000rpm) and 311lb ft of torque (at 3,500rpm), a healthy baseline from which the real madness can begin.

If your last Evo experience happened to be in a car with 400bhp, then the new one clearly doesn't accelerate quite as explosively. But it's hardly tame. In fact - whisper it - it feels about optimum.

Which is the crux of the new car. Because, despite all the electro-wizardry, it's the basics that really matter and they're bang on. Perhaps it's the WRC DNA, or maybe there's a strong purist streak at work. Whatever it is, you just know this is a car you can do serious business in the moment you settle into the Recaro seats and place your hands on the wheel. It feels taut and tough. It's a driving machine, and nothing else."

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/...subishi-evo-x/
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Ahh yeah, this cars gonna be sick. I'd say a pretty good upgrade from my TSX
Old 10-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Racer

Mmore New Pcitures!

Just eye candy =)

Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

that's one sweet lookin EVO
Old 10-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Drifting

minus the spoiler, eliminate the wheel gap, and i'm good-to-go
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This car is fucking dead sexy for what it is. I'll have one with the twin clutch transmission please thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
_____ like a rabbit

damn that white one
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Drifting

Title Fight: Evo X vs. WRX STI

The First Meeting

By Peter Lyon, Contributor, Japan Email

Date posted: 12-10-2007

At almost the same moment, Mitsubishi and Subaru have slammed the door on the past. The flame-spouting, wheel-churning rally-specification sedans of recent years have been tossed onto the ash heap, and in their place we find the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X and 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI — two cars that are about sophistication as well as speed.

But some things never change. The Evo and STI are still trying to seize the same bit of turf, caught up in a sparring match that's been going on nonstop for more than 13 years. The Evo and STI are like high school bullies that can't resist a punch-up, and they're now matching up ever-tricker all-wheel-drive systems, more turbocharged engine power and levels of cornering grip that defy the laws of physics.

So we put the 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X and the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI together on the road in Japan for their first meeting, a title fight in the shadow of Mt. Fuji.

Suits of Armor
We've been here before, as we've compared the Evo and the STI in a comparison test in both 2006 and 2003. Each time, the Evo IX proved slightly faster, turned into corners more decisively and gave us more feedback about the driving experience through the controls.

This time we've brought the new Evo X with its 276-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 matched with a five-speed manual transmission and put it together with the Japan-specification STI and its 304-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter horizontally opposed 4 matched with a six-speed manual transmission. Though the Evo is available with a dual-clutch six-speed automated manual, a production car hadn't come off the assembly line for us.

In the search for a more sophisticated visual identity, Mitsubishi has replaced the Evo's taxi-on-steroids appearance with a stance of grown-up machismo, a look highlighted by an Audi-style full-frame grille, a higher beltline and more subtle rear wing. There's a larger passenger package beneath that sits on a wheelbase that has stretched 1 inch, and a track that's wider by 1.2 inches. More important, the new Evo is 1.2 inches taller and 1.6 inches wider. We think the overall proportion of sheet metal to glass gives the Evo X a graceful look that's light-years ahead of its predecessor.

The new STI also couldn't be more different from its predecessor. The Subaru bosses decided that a hatchback profile is a good choice for two reasons: First, it allows the Impreza lineup to appeal to a broader customer base; and second, as Subaru WRC rally driver Petter Solberg says, "the hatchback has better aero balance." This five-door hatchback has dramatically shorter overhangs than the former STI sedan, while the front track is 3/4-inch wider than the current WRX and the rear track is 7/8-inch wider. Apart from the swooping rear tailgate, what really gives the new STI its character are those fender blisters, huge hood scoop and vestigial rear wing.

Though the STI is far more aggressive-looking than its WRX brother, its front end has been sanitized, and the generic headlights and grille detract from the overall muscular appeal of the rest of the car. The Evo X, meanwhile, has a Euro-style presentation that we find really appealing.

The Evo takes first blood.

Power Stakes
The Evo and STI are each powered by turbocharged 2.0-liter fours that are tuned to develop about as much low- and midrange grunt as your innards can take.

The STI's 2.0-liter boxer turbo pumps out 304 hp at 6,400 rpm and a surprising 311 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm. The major modifications over its predecessor are a different twin-scroll turbocharger, a bigger intercooler and variable valve timing now on both the inlet and exhaust cams. Subaru claims the STI will sprint to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds. (The American-spec 2.5-liter turbo manages the same task in 4.8 seconds in our hands.)

This engine produces a tsunami of thrust much lower in the rev range than the outgoing model. Power delivery is smooth if not restrained up to around 2,800 rpm, and then a wave of torque carries you forward toward 6,000 rpm. Keep your foot buried and the power remains strong right up to the redline at 8,000 rpm.

Channeling the torrent of torque to the tarmac is Subaru's revised six-speed manual transmission that gets newly fitted with triple synchros on 1st and 2nd gears and double synchros from 3rd up to 6th. The shift action feels leagues ahead of the Evo's clunky five-speed manual.

One thing that really makes the new STI stand out is the metallic ring from the engine and the pronounced exhaust burble, and it makes this engine sound both more refined and beefier than that of the Evo.

The Evolution of Power
Mitsubishi's 4G63 engine, with its iron block stout enough for turbocharging, has been replaced by the all-aluminum 4B11 inline-4, which represents an overall weight savings of 28 pounds. To enhance its ability to withstand the stress of turbocharging, this engine features forged connecting rods, a forged crankshaft and a block with a semi-closed deck. The compression ratio has risen slightly to 9.0:1 and variable valve timing has been adapted to both chain-driven cams.

This turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 produces 276 hp at 6,500 rpm (the U.S. version is expected to produce 295 hp), and it makes 300 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. Thanks to the close-ratio gearbox, the Evo X gets to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds.

Less manic than the outgoing Evo IX, the Evo X generates boost cleanly starting around 3,000 rpm, and the power builds in a linear fashion all the way up to the redline at 7,000 rpm. Compared to the STI, though, the Evo doesn't maintain the same kind of grunt at the top end.

The Evo X's close-ratio manual gearbox is clearly meant to be the racer's choice, because 5th gear is so tall it's only usable for highway cruising, and it handicaps the Mitsubishi against the Subaru.

The STI just pips the Evo in thrust and power.

The Swinging As: S-AWC, ACD, AYC, ASC
One aspect of the Evo's makeup that takes it to the next level is the upgraded Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC), which integrates control over the active center differential (ACD) with the rear differential's active yaw control (AYC). New additions to S-AWC include active stability control (ASC), active brake control and a yaw-rate sensor. The front limited-slip differential remains a conventional helical type. Put simply, the S-AWC actively manipulates wheel torque during acceleration and braking in order to control the car's cornering attitude.

If you drive too hot into a corner with the Evo X, the S-AWC four-wheel-drive system instantly redistributes torque to where it's needed most, while the ASC dabs the brakes to slow the progress of any overzealous wheels, alleviating the need for huge handfuls of opposite steering lock. Once the weight shifts slightly forward, the Evo X turns in quickly and then holds its line without understeer.

Thanks to the S-AWC, it's just about impossible to spin the Evo X. But once you switch off the ASC, you can slide the car at will, although you'd better be ready to catch the rear when it snaps around.

Even with an additional 200 pounds in curb weight, the Evo's revised steering setup, tweaked multilink rear suspension and stiffer chassis rigidity help keep the driver in touch with what's going on better than ever before, and the car even rides better. And if things go bad, the four-piston calipers for the Brembo brakes offer loads of fade-resistant stopping power.

Two Parts Legacy, One Part Impreza
Subaru has attempted to close the gap on the Evo's superb S-AWC system by refining the STI's three-way adjustable center differential (DCCD: Driver Controlled Center Differential). In addition, the AWD system now incorporates the Legacy's three-way throttle programming (SI Drive: Super Intelligent) and stability control (VDC: Vehicle Dynamics Control). Subaru has done a pretty good job of delivering an AWD system that can be adapted to a wide range of conditions.

Automatic is the DCCD's standard setting, with 59 percent of engine power sent to the rear wheels and the rear differential set neutrally. Auto-plus tightens the rear diff for more traction in slippery conditions. Auto-minus loosens the rear diff for navigating challenging, twisty roads where you need sharper turn-in and less traction at the rear. Six individual settings also allow torque going to the rear wheels to be varied between 50 and 59 percent. The helical front differential maintains front-wheel traction while helping the tires carve through a turn, and the Torsen rear differential adapts traction levels to the conditions.

The SI-Drive alters the engine and throttle mapping to three settings: Intelligent, Sport and Sport Sharp. It tailors the action of the throttle-by-wire system and the turbo boost to driving conditions, offering better traction when you need it and more aggressive torque when you want it. The VDC stability control can be switched off in two stages, with the first halting engine intervention by relying solely on the brakes. Switch it off completely and you let the STI strut its stuff without electronic interference.

Yet another feature that helps the STI get around corners faster than before is its new rear strut-type suspension. It not only delivers more predictable suspension action, it allows the car to be set up for more lively response and even significantly improves ride quality. And no complaints about the four-piston Brembos on the STI either.

Beyond the Specs
So with the tech spiel out of the way, what does it all mean?

The STI's steering effort feels slightly better weighted than that of the Evo, although the Mitsubishi's overall level of feedback through the wheel is still superior. Once you get the Evo into a rhythm, it corners more quickly through the twisties, but not by much, as the STI reveals slightly more understeer.

At the limit however, the Evo's S-AWC electronics make the driving experience oddly digital in a way, as if you are leaving too much of the cornering to the car. On the other hand, the STI's newly fitted VDC works surprisingly well. It intrudes when it's needed, but it never detracts from the spirit of the driving experience.

When you lay into the throttle, the Evo's turbo inline-4 responds with more eagerness and sharper throttle control than the STI, which needs to be spun over 4,000 rpm to deliver sufficient boost for rapid progress. This Evo's close-ratio five-speed gearbox also handicaps the engine in road driving compared to the STI's six-speed.

The Evo looks better on the road, while the STI boasts the practicality of five doors. Inside, the STI incorporates a slightly more appealing dash design, while the Evo X has inherited the former Lancer's plasticky interior. Seats in both cars are excellent, with good lumbar support.

Ready To Make a Choice?
Both the 2008 Mitsubishi Evo and the 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI have graduated from high school bullies to scholarship-toting college athletes, and all in just one generation. So which do we choose?

It's not going to be easy. The STI wins if you want a wagonlike car that handles with a more intuitive, analog feel. The Evo gets the nod if you're happier with a good-looking sedan that has excellent throttle response.

For those who don't care about body shapes, then the STI just pips the Evo, thanks to its better ride, smoother gearbox and especially the cool sounds the engine makes. But this might all change once the Evo gets its dual-clutch automated manual transmission.

It's not an easy choice. Who would you pick as your bodyguard: Jean-Claude Van Damme or Jet Li?
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Racer

Thanks! ^^^^

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi: Lancer News