MINI: Cooper News

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I bet it pushes 30k, and that's before dealer mark-up.
A great car none-the-less!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I'm back, biatch.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16" disc brakes?!?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't it true the larger the wheels the poorer the Mini handles due to the steering setup?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I bet it pushes 30k, and that's before dealer mark-up.
A great car none-the-less!
Driving my dad's is the most fun I've ever had in a car!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if this will effect any plans of a BMW M2 (1 series coupe) coming to the USA in the future ??
Old 08-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by teg_to_bike
16" disc brakes?!?

That's just saying the Mini needs at least a 16in wheel to fit over the brakes (a Europe thing).
Old 08-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
210 hp in a car that small and still only 6.6 0-60?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Quite nice!

Now, does this one transform like the one Moog has in his avatar?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by zeroday
210 hp in a car that small and still only 6.6 0-60?
I had the same thought.

Are those things real heavy? Seems like it should be faster...

edit -- just looked it up on their website
Mini Cooper S
weight 2678#
60.5%/39.5% front/rear distribution

they list the current 168 hp S with a 0-60 at 6.8 seconds

Last edited by Slimey; 08-04-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by teg_to_bike
16" disc brakes?!?

Again. In England, when they talk size of "brakes" they talk about the size of wheel that a given rotor can fit in at its max diameter. So this means: rotors that can barely fit on 16 inch wheels.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Beltfed
That's just saying the Mini needs at least a 16in wheel to fit over the brakes (a Europe thing).

Not a Europe thing. It's a UK thing.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gavriil
Not a Europe thing. It's a UK thing.
Barf, Puke......whatever.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Quite nice!

Now, does this one transform like the one Moog has in his avatar?
Robot Transformation is an option package:wink:
Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Beltfed
Barf, Puke......whatever.

Dude, Europe and the UK are pretty different
Old 08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gavriil
Dude, Europe and the UK are pretty different
They are, I just kind of group them together for convenience.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM
It's not over yet

my 2700 lb integra was quicker with less horsies
Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

All-new MINI set to multiply - - By Sam Hardy - - Source: Autoexpress

We have proof that the MINI is in the family way. This document, spied by an Auto Express reader, confirms officially what we revealed in issue 864; MINI is planning at least six new models.

Based on the revised three-door, due to arrive some time in 2007, the line-up is set to include a convertible and range-topping Speedster. But BMW's designs also show four cars using a lengthened MINI platform, all in production trim.

There's a five-door model offering increased passenger space, a Clubman-style machine boasting Mazda RX-8-type rear doors, a Moke pick-up and a three-door estate. The overall plan is simple: broaden the appeal of the popular small car even further. Both the five-door and Clubman will feature five-seater layouts, with the latter likely to have removable rear chairs in order to make it even more practical. It gets barn-style doors on the back, too - as with the original car - while the five-door is likely to stick with the MINI's drop-down tailgate.

The pick-up model, expected to be called the Moke, is a more lifestyle-oriented machine. It could feature a plastic-lined load bay, a raised ride height and even a removable roof.

Meanwhile, the three-door estate is based on the same wheelbase as the Clubman. A two-seater, it will be aimed at buyers who need carrying capacity rather than passenger space. As with the Clubman, it will sport barn-style doors on the rear. The Speedster will
be the flagship car, competing with prestige drop-tops. Based on the Convertible, it will feature a radical, curved hard-top roof which can be removed to uncover stylish roll hoops, similar to those seen on Audi's TT roadster.

As far as the standard convertible goes, it will get the same enhancements as the revised three-door hatch. As we revealed in issue 858, a subtle revamp means the new MINI won't be much different to look at. Instead, the big changes will be inside. Expect a whole new dash and higher-quality materials.

Under the bonnet will be a fresh 1.6-litre petrol unit co-developed with PSA Peugeot Citroen. It will be paired with a powerful new diesel. Expect the new MINI to debut at 2007's Geneva Motor Show, with the first of the new variants, the Clubman, arriving in 2008.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The pick-up is just plain
Speedster is cool.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

I dunno, I've lost my taste for this car. It was kinda expected they'd do something like this after all the rumors, why not cash in, but I don't see any great products coming out of it.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:40 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

New "big" Mini extened wheel base Spy Shots

Here it is folks... the first clear spy shots of the upcoming extended wheel-base MINI. Autowereld (and Dutch publication) has the scoop. Unfortunately our Dutch is a little rusty so let me talk a bit about what we do know and what these photos confirm.

While this prototype is heavily disguised with copious amounts tacked on black plastic, we can immediately see several tell-tale signs of the new four door MINI. First off is the extended wheelbase which will allow for three and most likely four doors. The multi-door design is reportedly similar to what BMW uses for the Rolls Royce Phantom which allows the rear doors to be opened independently of the front (unlike the Mazda RX8 for example) . Then there's the slightly taller roof and more square rear hatch. This should allow for more rear headroom and a taller cargo area. Finally we're told that this new extended wheel-base MINI will feature a slightly tweaked design language that we're guessing will be more along the lines of chunky and funky. This will set it apart from the standard R56 coupe, which we should see in the fall of 2006.

We've learned that the MINI EXT (our name, not BMW's) will debut as early as the fall of 2007 (as an '08 model) and will be closely followed more than one other variant in the years following.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Rendering of what is under all that disguise.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Reminds me of older 4-door Minis ... Have to see it in person to make any judgement.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
how is it still a mini if its bigger? a bigger mini isnt mini anymore.

id take a regular mini cooper S and that is about it.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:55 PM
The hair says it all

they should change the name to "regular"
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by virus7
how is it still a mini if its bigger? a bigger mini isnt mini anymore.

id take a regular mini cooper S and that is about it.
MINI is the brand, Cooper is the model. This one will not be called a Cooper...it's rumored to be called Clubman Estate or something to that effect.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
MINI is the brand, Cooper is the model. This one will not be called a Cooper...it's rumored to be called Clubman Estate or something to that effect.
no i know....just thought it was a little funny that a company called mini, is making their cars bigger....a little ironic.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Drifting

The pictures of the black one looks like a MINI hearse.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

MINI GP :: Special Edition

From a communication to the UK MINI Dealership network:
We are pleased to confirm production of the MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit as a limited edition within the MINI range. This limited edition MINI will feature a number of exclusive features, which will be unavailable to the rest of the range. With approximately 218hp/160Kw it will be more powerful than the standard MINI Cooper S John Cooper Works and weigh approximately 40 kilos less.

Production will be strictly limited to 2,000 cars worldwide with the UK securing 444 cars. All cars will be non-spec changeable and no additional options will be offered.

Please find below details of the MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit. Please note that specification is yet to be finalised and may change slightly from what is listed below.

Model Code;
RE92 - MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit

Exclusive Features
Anthracite-Blue Metallic Paint (To be named)
Contrast Roof, Bonnet Scoop and Front Apron in Pure Silver
Contrast Mirror Caps in Chili Red
Individually numbered (There will be no customer choice of number, all numbers will be allocated centrally for all worldwide markets)
No rear seats
Unique 18’’ Light Alloy Wheels

Standard Equipment
Additional Remote Key
Brilliant Silver Interior Trim
Darkened Rear Glass
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Floor Mats in Velour
Front Passenger Airbag Deactivation
Height Adjustment for Passenger Seat
John Cooper Works Kit (approx. 218hp/160Kw)
John Cooper Works Sports Brakes with calipers painted red at front
John Cooper Works Sports Suspension
Interior Lights Package
Manual Air Conditioning
Multifunction for Steering Wheel including Cruise Control
On Board Computer
Radio Boost
Recaro Sports Seats
Single CD Player
Seat Heating for Driver and Front Passenger
Sports Leather Steering Wheel
White Direction Indicator Lights

Old 10-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
The old JCW package put the Cooper S into the $30Ks ... I bet this is at least $2k more than the previous JCW price.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

mirrors, spoiler, and rims are ugly. rest is nice
Old 10-30-2005, 10:44 PM
The hair says it all

I wouldn't drive it without taking that spoiler off, and the rims are meh.

the front kit looks like a bmw
Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

The following is the first official UK press release on the new John Cooper Works GP Kit.

The launch of the new MINI in 2001 set a new standard in the small car market for handling and driving enjoyment. Over the next four years rumours came and went regarding the arrival of a lightweight, high-performance MINI.

From July 2006, the MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works (JCW) GP Kit will realise the dream with a power output of around 218bhp, a stunning 136bhp per litre, and a weight-drop of 40 kilos. Only 2000 will be built for MINI fans around the globe with approximately 20 per cent staying in the UK.

The MINI Cooper S with JCW GP Kit will be a two-seater in exclusive colours, and extra safety and interior options will come as standard.

The reduction in weight over the standard MINI Cooper S has been achieved by modifications to the chassis and engineering tweaks. The longitudinal control arms on the rear axle are now made of aluminium, and the omission of the sound-deadening material and the rear seats have made further weight reductions.

Modifications to the intercooler as well as engine tuning measures have increased power output of the supercharged 1.6-litre engine on a standard MINI Cooper S JCW by 8bhp. In order that such power and the high maximum torque of 245 Nm are transferred securely to the road, this exclusive special edition features a Limited Slip Differential and Dynamic Stability Control as standard.

High-performance brakes by John Cooper Works featuring red-lacquered brake calipers on the front wheels ensure optimum stopping power. In addition, the GP Kit includes specially-designed weight-reduced 18-inch alloy wheels.

The special edition will only be available in grey-blue metallic combined with a Pure Silver roof and Chili Red wing mirrors. The air scoop on the bonnet and in the front apron also come in Pure Silver. Interior standard equipment includes Recaro sports seats, single CD, air-conditioning and a multi-function steering wheel.

A new aerodynamics package - front and rear aprons, a wing-shaped rear spoiler, underbody panelling and even lower side sills have all been added. This has resulted in a distinctly reduced drag coefficient and enhanced downforce on the front and rear axles.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

MotoringFile Analysis: JCW GP Kit
November 7, 2005 / Sections: MF Feature

With all the hype and build up of the rumored “lightweight” Cooper S, there was probably little MINI could do to actually impress everyone. With numbers like 230bhp and 15% weight reduction being bandied around, it would have taken a Herculean effort by BMW engineers to meet expectations and keep the car certified for sale around the world easily without spending a boat load of engineering time and money. Not to mention that all this work was going into a model less than a year away from being completely replaced. With that in mind, the JCW GP starts to make a bit more sense.

The JCW GP prototype shown in Misano ant MINI United was just that… a prototype. BMW/MINI engineers are still working on the final engine modifications, styling, and interior design. So with that said we’ll be offering our analysis on the car shown at Misano and the specifications provided by MINI Press.

Performance

Since we don’t have test figures yet, we can only judge the car by it’s raw performance.

Power: 218bhp (likely to be around 215hp for the US)

The JCW GP power gains over the standard MCS JCW are accomplished by modifying the intercooler and tweaking the ECU. Not rocket science but then again what could we hope for with a supercharged engine in it’s last year of production. But 218 bhp? Surely this special edition could be more special? I imagine the economic realities of tweaking an engine that was soon to be discontinued were hard to overcome. While MINI engineers surely could have squeezed more power out of the trusty Tritec, they most likely didn’t have the time, staff, or budget to get it done. Furthermore, they have to retain the engines eco-friendly qualities for it to be certified for sale on many world markets. So 218 bhp it is.

Weight savings: 40kg (or 88.1 pounds)

There were lots of rumors of carbon fiber but in the end MINI decided against it. Reportedly it would have been too costly to homologate for worldwide sales (the proposed thinner glass fell into this category as well). So that leaves us with aluminum control arms (not insignificant), deleted rear seats and sound deadening material. MINI is also planning to offer optional radio and A/C delete to further reduce the weight of the car. While undoubtedly the use of aluminum and carbon fiber would have been welcome by most, final costs would have sky-rocketed. And if costs weren’t the only issue with light-weight materials, you can bet that government regulations were right behind them.

I think MINI has walked a fine line rather well between weight reduction and producing a car that is still marketable to a wide audience. While engineers could have certainly pulled out more weight and in turn more creature comforts, the potential market would have likely been reduced to a level that would have not made the car economically feasible.

Improved Aerodynamics and Increase Downforce

As it turns out the JCW GP actually did spend some time in the wind tunnel. This is a nice surprise as it was assumed the body kit and wing were purely cosmetic. In fact it’s been reported that the JCW GP’s drag coefficient has been reduced from .36 to around .30. Since the MINI is known to get a little unbalanced in some high speeds situations, these are welcome additions. Particularly interesting is the “under body paneling”.

The other performance improvements on the JCW GP are no brainer. The JCW suspension kit helps get the power to the road and the car balanced in the corners and the JCW Brakes of course help it all come to a stop safely and quickly. However one aspect of the car that’s surely going to disappoint enthusiasts; the apparent brake cooling ducts are reportedly just for show. This is odd since JCW Motorsport actually sells a brake cooling ducts for the JCW Challenge cars. It would have seemed a no-brainer to integrate them into this car.

But all that said, the performance of the JCW GP isn’t necessarily where I’m personally disappointed. When one looks at the features and performance, for around the price of a well equipped MCS (roughly £22k or if we’re lucky low$30s), the JCW GP is not at all unreasonable.

Design (Exterior)

Yes folks, this is where things get ugly. Let’s start with the front.

The MINI design team have chosen to go a bit more extreme with the front apron. On the face of it I have no complaints there. And I have to say the front of the car really succeeds in letting everyone know it’s intentions. With the color coded grille, the flat black in the air-scoop (a great detail), slick brake ducts (unfortunately faux), it would seem the designers really sweated the details and the car is better for it.

But wait… what’s this? Why does the beloved black fender arch not visually extend to the apron? There’s certainly no well crafted design theme on the car that would make sense of this. Yet the MINI designers didn’t stop there however. They extended this design language to the side skirts. Here too, the decision still makes little sense. Visually there a disconnect that is obvious to almost all who see the car. Naturally MINI designers didn’t want to paint the arches as it de-empathizes the corners of the car (one of the most integral parts of the design). So why not simply extend the black trim to the bottom of the front apron at the very least? Could this be a classic case of something working in the sketches that simply didn’t translate well to the finished product? Or perhaps this portion of the design isn’t complete? I personally hope it’s the latter.

As we move around towards the rear, some of my faith is restored in a fairly simple and well executed rear apron. The base design is essentially the same as a standard MCS. However MINI have added extended lower black trim and added two silver bits that look to be air defusers of some kind. While they may not be functional, they do a good job of covering the black stock rear grilles (which as we all know are also not functional).

The rear wiper deletion is actually quite a nice touch. Apparently the change also mandated the JCW GP getting the MINI Convertible’s third brake light. All welcome changes for a car that probably won’t see a lot of in-climate weather.

And what about that rear spoiler? I was inclined to dismiss it’s size and form as a product from a designer who’d seen too much WRC. However I’m now told that it was specifically shaped in the wind-tunnel to reduce drag and increase down-force. Again, all good attributes for a high performance car. So the wing gets a nod of approval from this corner.

The color is hard to judge at this point. The photos I’ve seen from MINI PR range from blue-grey to just grey. I imagine it’s makes a but more sense in the flesh. Yet I can’t help but feel MINI is missing an obvious chance to give the car more of a motorsport feel. A medium red (BMW’s Imola) or even a traditional non-metallic British racing green would have seemingly been more welcome. But I’ll withhold final color-related opinions until I see the car in person.

That said there’s one aspect of the color I’m all too happy to judge; the red mirror caps. I’ve tried hard to understand the logic behind them. I’ve tried looking at the car at every angle imaginable. Yet I still can’t fully understand the logic of red mirror caps on a blue-grey car. I’m told that once we see the final interior, they will make more sense. Perhaps… but you can’t see the interior from the outside.

But all this pales in comparison to those absurd four-spoke wheels. Now I have to be honest, I loathe four-spoke wheels in general. At best they look inconsequential and weak. At their worst they look simply terrible. I’m afraid in this instance the answer would be both A and B. MINI has succeeded in creating an 18” performance wheel that neither looks big or athletic. In fact it’s hard to believe they’re 18” wheels at all. And there’s really no other way to put it, they simply look weak and contrived. Or to put it another way, like the product of a design theme gone too far.

Despite this, there’s still hope for the JCW GP. As an owner, you could easily replace the mirror caps. And of course there’s three other fine choices for 18” wheels in the JCW catalog (not to mention countless after-market options). What’s the point of buying a MINI if you don’t make it your own!

The better news is that MINI isn’t quite done with the JCW GP. The final production version (again the one shown here is simply a prototype) will be debuted at the Geneva Motorshow in March. This gives MINI a little more time to touch up a few areas and finish off what sounds like a very impressive interior.

It’s probably safe to say that the JCW GP isn’t the car that most of the hardcore enthusiasts have been waiting for. However (assuming our pricing forecasts are correct) it just may be a viable option for someone interested in a no-frills JCW MCS. And as a bonus they’ll also be getting the rarest and fastest production MINI ever.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Getrag AWD MINI Cooper Reviewed

Look out, here comes the MINI 4x4

Ian Adcock gets to grips with a new four-wheel-drive system from Getrag

It was the sort of bend that front-wheel-drive cars like the 167bhp Mini Cooper S really hate: a tightening downhill left-hander. To make matters worse, the road was streaming wet after a recent cloudburst and rivulets dribbled across the gleaming tarmac.

Hang on: the Getrag MINI’s handling is superb even on slippery roads

It's such situations that get modern traction and stability control systems working overtime as they try to curb wheelspin and maintain grip. Dashboard warning lights flash in front of you like demented Christmas decorations.

But not in this Cooper, as the electronic stability program (ESP) has been deliberately deactivated. So, heel-and-toe down into second, turn the car into the bend and bury the throttle.

Instead of understeering off into the Armco, or suddenly slowing as the engine revs are cut by electronic guardian angels, the car's line tightens, the revs rise and we shoot through the corner like a ball on a roulette wheel.

Grab third as the little car flies down to the next turn, supercharger wailing, and the next right-hander requires only the merest hint of a pause on the throttle, in deference to other road users and the fact that I am driving a prototype worth many times the car's list price. Nothing to do with the yellow stripe running down my back, of course...

The phrase "corners as if on rails" is so hackneyed that it's rarely seen these days, but it's an apt description of how this particular car behaves.

For the past dozen or so miles on the smooth and slippery switchback roads south of Cologne, I've attacked corners and hairpins with growing confidence as the MINI tracked cleanly and smoothly through each one, as accurate as a race car and with so much grip you'd think Loctite made the tyres.

Only once did the back end step out of line, but it was so gentle and well-signalled that a quick flick of opposite lock held it in place and I continued my journey, not even pausing the conversation with Michael Höck, Getrag's manager of vehicle dynamics.

To the casual observer the red MINI looks like any other Cooper S, apart from the white "Getrag" lettering on the outside and a new switch to activate the system, jury-rigged on to the transmission tunnel behind the gear lever.

Welcome to "Twinster", a development all-wheel-drive MINI created by one of the world's leading transmission and driveline producers.

Getrag's technology is found in dozens of vehicles, from Aston Martins to Volkswagens and even BMW and Harley-Davidson motorcycles, and it has joint ventures with manufacturers such as Volvo to develop and produce four-wheel-drive technologies.

But developing an all-wheel-drive system for a car like the Cooper S was a challenge of a different magnitude for the engineers at the company's research and development centre in Cologne.

For a start, there's the car's diminutive size. Under the bonnet there's precious little room for the standard supercharger, never mind a modified transmission. What's more, the Twinster had to retain its ground-hugging stance, without the jacked-up look of some all-wheel-drive conversions. Most challenging of all, it had to keep its Freude am Fahren (fun to drive) factor.

Broadly speaking, there are three approaches to four-wheel drive: Land Rover-style permanent 4WD, designed for clambering over rocks and wading rivers; the soft-roader approach epitomised by BMW's X5, with enough traction to haul a horse box across a slippery field but not much else; and systems designed to deliver maximum traction in high-perfomance vehicles such as Mitsubishi's Lancer Evo VIII.

The Twinster doesn't quite fit into any of these categories. It is an attempt to give predominantly front-wheel-drive cars superior dynamics and roadholding, without excessive increases in weight, cost and complexity.

Up to now, manufacturers have inhibited the tendency of powerful front-wheel-drive vehicles to understeer or tramp under harsh acceleration by reducing engine power and torque, or applying the brakes to whichever wheel is losing grip, until traction is regained.

But this is becoming a problem with modern diesel engines, which can produce (in the case of the most powerful front-wheel-drive Audi) up to 280lb ft of torque at just 1,400rpm.

"Brake intervention takes away up to half the torque," explains Höck, "and dulls the driving enjoyment. The great thing about Twinster is that it keeps the fun factor while improving cornering grip and traction."

So how has Getrag solved the problem? Twinster features a Power Take-off Unit (PTU) from the gearbox, which delivers torque via an additional propshaft and differential to the rear wheels. Drive to the front driveshafts is managed by an electronically controlled limited-slip differential.

By using the car's standard ABS and ESP sensors, Getrag is able to detect yaw and slip moments between the front and rear wheels, and by comparing inputs from all four wheels it can detect any loss of traction and reduce torque to the slipping wheels in milliseconds.

Torque can also be varied across the axles, such that if both nearside wheels were on ice and the offside pair on dry tarmac, those on the left would receive only enough power for their limited grip while those on the right would receive proportionally more to ensure a smooth getaway.

Similarly, because the system takes inputs from the engine management unit, it can pre-load the drivetrain for full-throttle starts and send a greater percentage of the torque to the rear wheels.

The Twinster has consistently displayed higher degrees of traction than comparable front- and rear-wheel-drive cars. In one test, accelerating in fourth gear on an 80-metre radius circle, it was comfortably quicker than either rival, beating the rear-drive car by 3mph and the front-drive machine by nearly 7mph.

Similarly, 10 laps on a wet handling track proved beyond a doubt that the Twinster was both quicker and more stable: its average lap time was 1.5 seconds faster than the front-drive car and more than four seconds better than the other.

But it's not all about performance. Twinster redefines all-wheel drive. Its vastly improved traction would be a boon to any driver, no matter how skilled, and a real benefit to those for whom bad road conditions hold particular fear. It is technology that helps in difficult driving conditions, increasing the safety envelope.

Getrag is coy about which motor manufacturer will be first to use the Twinster system, but it will appear on two cars in 2007 and could herald the beginning of an entirely new generation of 4x4 vehicles. It will be interesting to see what the anti-4x4 brigade makes of it...
Hope BMW puts this in the next gen Cooper
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autocar Magazine
Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Makeover coming for 2007 Mini Cooper - - By Ed Hellwig - - Source: Edmunds.com

The Mini Cooper hasn't cooled off much since its introduction in 2002. In fact, its retro styling is still so well liked that the next-generation 2007 Mini Cooper won't look any different. We caught a recent prototype out testing with minimal exterior camouflage and found it hard to pick out the updates.

Up front, the headlights may be taped up but their shape isn't expected to change much from the current model. Same goes for the grille as it looks to be roughly the same design with a slightly larger air intake opening that will feed a new family of turbocharged engines. In place of the low-tech iron-block 1.6-liter will be a twin-cam, aluminum-block turbocharged four-cylinder of the same displacement. The standard Cooper will get a significant boost to 143 horsepower and 176 pound-feet of torque while the Cooper S will maintain its rating of around 170 hp. A non-turbocharged 115-hp Cooper may also be offered to keep the entry price low.

There won't be any additional room inside as the exterior dimensions aren't expected to expand by more than a few millimeters. There will, however, be much higher-grade materials throughout and a new design for the dashboard. A large speedometer will still reside front and center on models without the navigation system. Auxiliary control buttons for the stereo and trip computer fill the lower section of the gauge along with a small joystick for scrolling through menus. We also spotted what looks to be a keyless ignition next to the steering wheel. Unfortunately it looks to be the same design as the current BMW 7 Series that requires you to insert the key fob into the dash, a requirement that seems to make the whole idea of keyless ignition seem pointless.

Timing of the 2007 Mini's introduction is still hard to pin. Some speculation has it debuting for the first time at the 2007 Geneva Motor Show 15 months from now while others think it will be on the market in 12 months. Regardless of when it comes around expect it to be a better car that retains all the style of the current model.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

MINI Jumps Auto Shows with Checkmate Cooper - - Source: The Car Connection

A new Checkmate package will be on display at the MINI stand next month at the Los Angeles auto show. The special décor package includes a rear spoiler, stripes, and decals mated with leather seats and steering wheel, and a new wheel and tire package. Stability control and fog lamps are also included in the package, which can be ordered with the MINI Cooper and Cooper S.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

MINI Jumps Auto Shows with Checkmate Cooper - - Source: The Car Connection

MINI also will make the John Cooper Works performance upgrade a factory option for 2006, including a sport brake kit and limited-slip differential.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Bout time, nuts to have these packages and then add on dealer installation fees on top of an already expensive car.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ferrari528
Not to secure with out grammar either, a gay couple WERE buying

What an idiot!

Quick Reply: MINI: Cooper News