__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are mini's safe??? I would be afraid to crash one of those
Old 11-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoot
Are mini's safe??? I would be afraid to crash one of those
Actually from what I've read, they seem to be safe. However that's anecdotal evidence. I recall seeing a Mini that had hit someone head on and there was very little evidence of collapse in the body. Almost like they have really small crumple zones (as they should seeing as the car is tiny to start with).

Anyone can feel free to correct me but I think that car is over-engineered in regards to safety compared to other cars.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Next Gen. Mini News **Caught during final testing (page 2)**

Mini 2: BMW's sequel goes turbo; next-gen model to make early '07 debut - - By JULIAN RENDELL - - Source: Autoweek

When BMW reintroduced the Mini to the United States in 2002, it got just about everything right—except, maybe, the engines.

The German producer of the quintessential Brit driving machine will fix that when the next-generation Mini debuts in early 2007 with a new range of all-aluminum, twin-cam engines that BMW will build in partnership with French carmaker Peugeot. The new powerplants include two turbocharged units that will replace the normally aspirated and supercharged four-cylinder 1.6-liter engines in the current Cooper and Cooper S.

The new Mini, dubbed Mini 2 by some, will stick with the same four-cylinder 1.6-liter capacity, but the BMW design will be a higher-tech mill than today’s iron-block Tritec engine, which was designed in double-quick time by Chrysler.

The engine will come in four power outputs: 75 hp, 115 hp, 143 hp and 170 hp. The 75 and 115 outputs are normally aspirated, while the 143 and 170 outputs are turbocharged and intercooled. Fortunately, the Mini won’t get the 75-hp unit; that is reserved for Peugeot.

The two turbo units mark a major change for the two best-loved Mini models, the Cooper and Cooper S. The Cooper will get a major power hike to 143 hp from today’s 115-hp engine. While the power output of the S stays at 170 hp, the turbocharged engine promises a big improvement in driveability and power delivery over the current supercharged setup.

Mini may pull one more trick as well. AutoWeek sources say BMW is considering sticking with a low-power Cooper model with the 115-hp non-turbo engine, which would provide two Cooper engine options, and one Cooper S engine.

All engines get variable valve timing and other controls inspired by BMW’s six-cylinder engines, with the turbo units featuring common-rail direct-injection fuel delivery and twin-scroll turbos.

Otherwise, the new Mini sees few engineering changes under its revised sheetmetal. The new body will clothe a carryover platform in which key dimensions increase by a few millimeters only, while the go-kart handling will remain a key feature of the replacement.

Most importantly, the three-door hatchback body will still be the mainstay of the range and the styling will retain today’s fun-to-drive character. Rumors of a switch to twin headlights have been rudely squashed by insiders.

Test mules photographed while running the new engines reveal a new grille shape closer in style to the 1959 original Mini and much more upright than today’s car, a feature necessary to comply with new European Union pedestrian impact regulations. Below the grille, the air dam features an open lower intake to improve airflow through the intercooler.

Inside, the new Mini will get styling themes similar to today’s car, like the central speedometer, but executed in higher quality materials.

That huge bump in the hood of this Mini 2 mule provides space for turbocharger testing. (Photos by Hans G. Lehmann/Hidden Image)

A rendering of what the Mini 2 could look like. (Illustration by Hans G. Lehmann/Hidden Image)
Old 12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hah....from S/C to Turbo.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Just say NO to MB headlights!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

More radical looks for next Cooper S - - Source: Autocar

With engineering work well underway on the next-generation Mini, and the secrets of the car’s new engine revealed, we didn’t expect to get a tip-off about the new car’s looks. But these official sketches released by BMW’s Designworks studio seem to give more than a hint about the look of the next-generation Cooper S. Close examination of this rendering appears to confirm that it is a version of the Mini 2: note the hidden wipers, conventional bonnet, extended rear haunches and the new, one-piece grille opening.

With the supercharger’s bonnet air intake set to go, BMW needs a way to make the new hot Mini instantly recognisable. This aggressive bumper treatment and faired-in driving lights could be an ideal solution. (New pedestrian safety regulations are expected to outlaw separate driving lamps).

Designworks’ other sketches show some of the wilder ideas for a replacement cabriolet. An unusual open-back targa design (with more than a hint of Audi TT about its tail) has been developed, one that could also be converted to into a compact estate with double side-opening doors.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is a design sketch for a future Mini that shows a completely different face – and one strangely reminiscent of the short-lived Jensen SV-8’s.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BMW is paranoid about styling they will even release the sketches to gauge public reaction Cant screw this one up.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Safety Car

Damn. That frontal sketch of the car in blue has a grill and front fascia pretty close to the new Astons.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
interesting
Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 AM
Banned

Like I said before, what is happening to the Euro-car makers styling? They're all starting to look like sh=t.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hated the first one, so I am sure I will hate the next gen.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
goldmemberererer

It's definitely a cool car and I don't mind having it as a rental but that's as far as I'll go with it. Not bagging on the car or discounting it, I understand how great the platform is and I used to really dig the oldschool Mini but since BMW took it over and marketed it their way, I just get turned off about it.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts

I like this one!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Yumchah

I like this one!
This one looks a lot like the Fiat Coupe.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by MADCAT
Like I said before, what is happening to the Euro-car makers styling? They're all starting to look like sh=t.
ONLY The ones with presence in america

i much prefer euro styling most of the time
Old 02-03-2005, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MADCAT
starting?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by gavriil
Yes please.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Very Funny New Mini Cooper ad Website.

It seems MINIUSA and their award winning ad agency are at it again. This time they've created counterfeitmini.org. Here's an excerpt from the site (best read with heavy sarcasm):

At the CCC, we're dedicated to putting an end to the victimization associated with purchasing a counterfeit MINI Cooper. We cooperate with MINI and international law enforcement to pursue criminals. But there's one other crucial partner we need to recruit: YOU. We can't do this without YOU. Educate yourself about the problem. Learn how to detect a fake. Know when you're being hoodwinked. Together, we can put an end to this appalling injustice. Together, we can make our streets genuine once again.
Hilarious. Check it out:
http://www.counterfeitmini.org
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Next Gen MINI interior Revealed

Welcome inside the next MINI. The photo above (courtesy of AutoExpress) gives us a very rough look at what MINI is planning for the R56 (in optional Nav. trim at least). But let's not get too ahead of ourselves yet. AutoExpress doesn't have the market cornered on MINI scoops. We've been working on one of our own lately and this article represents the first portion of what we've got coming in the next few days. So sit back, grab a cold beverage (or a hot one), and read on...

If there was one area that MINI definitely needed improvement (except maybe that iron block and single cam under the hood), it's the interior. Specifically, I'm referring to the quality of materials and the general use of space within the cabin. Our sources indicate that MINI designers have responded with a thoroughly rethought interior. What they've done is keep the overall layout the same, but alter (at times radically) some proportions of various pieces. That means the general design language will stay vaguely the same. However, designers have had free reign to solve a few of the current interior's shortcomings.

First off, the speedometer will grow in size to house a few other gauges and a larger digital display. On cars without the Navigation option (not shown in the above photo), that display will be a larger, two line version of what you see on your radio head-unit today. The speedometer in the non-navigation equipped MINI will continue to have a silver backer, the same as in the current car. In contrast, MINIs equipped with the navigation option (As shown above) will sport a large LCD screen located within the center speedometer. Speaking of that navigation system, don't be surprised to see the new and improved version of iDrive bundled with the nav option on the next MINI (again similar to the 1 and 3 series BMWs).

The center stack will be slightly narrower and tapered (from back to front) for added knee and legroom. Below that larger speedometer will be the standard array of components, including a CD drive and controls (with no display as it will be within the speedo), heating and cooling controls with a high quality finish and a simplified toggle switch area. Where the current car is black, look for the new MINI to feature a silver finish. We can expect the climate control and stereo components to function a bit more like they do in the new 1 series and 3 series. As seen in the photo above, the auto climate controls will retain some of the current, old-school Mini logo inspired design.

Toggle switches will remain in the new car, but will change somewhat in functionality. They will also slightly grow in size. A few toggle switches may also move up near the rearview mirror. Directly under the lower toggle switches are the familiar cup holders. Only this time we are told they have been designed to fit more than a can of soda.

For all those concerned about the placement of the tachometer, don't worry. It will stay in its current location just behind the steering wheel on all versions of the car.

In another sign of BMW influence, the next MINI may feature an ignition system similar to the new 1 and 3 series BMWs. These are essentially push-button systems that rely on a "key-fob" as opposed to a typical metal key.

On the wireless technology front, the Next MINI will also feature much better bluetooth integration that will come installed from the factory. The display will most likely be integrated into the multi-purpose display within the speedometer.

The steering wheel (not shown in the photo) is a two-spoke design that is actually more similar in shape to the version on the 2002-03 MINI than the current 3-spoke wheel. It does, however, share a similar center horn area to what is in the current 2005 MINI.

The side mirror controls will move from their current location to something a bit more typical on the driver side door. And speaking of those doors, the overall design will become a bit more stylized and, from the looks of the photos we've seen, less useful in terms of storage.

Look for more BMW-like seat controls, including a more intuitive mechanism to move the seat forward for rear access (similar to the 3 series coupe).

While back seat space will grow by a few millimeters, the overall look will remain largely unchanged. Improved plastics in the rear of the car will give rear occupants a much nicer environment however.

The boot will be very similar in size to the current car's, but will add a few small but useful features. Since the battery will be moving near the engine (where it is currently on the Cooper), there will be a shallow storage area under the floor (potentially similar to what is found in the current 3 series wagon). Further, the boot lid itself may feature a small amount of storage for umbrellas and the like.

In the end, I think many people will be a bit shocked at the amount of change MINI was willing to make to the interior of the car. While they kept much of the general shape the same, many elements have changed drastically. Personally, my initial thoughts were of surprise. Although I have to say that I'm quickly warming up to many of the changes (and hoping others still have time to be massaged a bit).

It's my guess, however, that many people will initially respond negatively to some of these changes. To that I say it's important to keep in mind that there may still be a few alterations here and there before production. Also, keep in mind that there was initially quite a bit of negative reaction to the current MINI when it was first shown in the late 90's. We all know how that turned out!

I had originally planned on releasing this information as part of a large article on the next MINI this weekend. However, with the release of the AutoExpress story on the new MINI's interior I felt I had to post at least this portion today. Expect a full report on the next MINI, including exterior styling and engine range information, in the next several days.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Going even more retro...
Old 03-17-2005, 02:27 PM
101 years of heartache...

personally, i kinda like that retro look. I dont like the center gauges, however, but thats a Mini thing.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Maybe the real deal will be different, but from these pics, it looks grotesque to me. It's like Jaguar meets Pontiac.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Safety Car

eehhh
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

New MINI Breaks Cover - - By Craig Cheetham - - Source: Autoexpress

Mind the doors... the MINI is about to get the 'suicide' treatment. But fans of the cult car should not worry, as parent firm BMW has no plans to axe its baby best-seller.

This week's mag features the first stunning pictures of the all-new MINI Clubman Estate, which we can exclusively reveal will have Mazda RX-8-style suicide doors. The Clubman Estate could account for up to a fifth of all MINI sales when it joins the brand new range in two years' time.

This new-look MINI will bear a striking resemblance to the current car - after all, why change a winning formula? But it will have a simplified nose, doing away with the present model's complex 'clamshell' bonnet and replacing it with a more conventional item.

That would allow a more up-right grille, shaped to more closely resemble the original Austin Mini's. Meanwhile, sporty models are likely to be offered with an unusual twin-headlamp layout. Yet it's the estate variant that is expected to see the most significant developments.

It may look similar to the wood-panelled load-luggers made by Italian firm Castagna in 2003, but it will be designed and built by BMW. The new car is likely to share most of its structure with the MINI hatch to keep costs down, but be based on a longer-wheelbase platform.

And unusually, the Clubman will come with only one rear side door, although twin back doors give excellent luggage space and make loading easy. The boot volume is expected to at least rival the likes of five-door hatches such as the Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra.

This move comes as MINI looks to take on more mainstream competitors, with BMW aiming for much higher volumes of the newcomer. The Clubman could realistically account for as many as an extra quarter of a million sales a year globally. There are other bodystyle variants in the pipeline, too, with a convertible expected from launch and the possibility of a MINI Speedster or a reincarnation of the Moke name before the end of the decade.

BMW won't confirm exact plans for the next-generation MINI, but we have been made aware of the fact that there are 'other variants' being considered as essential to the model's continued popularity.

The next generation will also see a new range of engines debuting in the car, to replace the current Chrysler-sourced petrol units and Toyota diesel powerplants.

Initially, it's expected that only Cooper and Cooper S versions will get the new motors - both 1.6-litre petrols developing similar outputs to the existing variants. They'll use BMW's latest Valvetronic technology to deliver better performance and economy than today's engines.

In addition, there will be an all-new oil-burner, likely to develop more than 100bhp for the first time. It could be offered in the first-ever Cooper diesel, which is expected to appear in showrooms late in 2007. The MINI One will get new engines in 2009, with both petrol and oil-burners anticipated.

This new model range will probably debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2007, before going on sale across Europe that summer. The Clubman Estate will make its first public appearance towards the end of the year, with the wraps being taken off the entire line-up in Japan and the US in 2008.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Suicide doors! Wow!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i love driving the Mini. its freakin awesome.. definitly feels like a go-cart, its quick, light, and steering is crazy smooth and quick. as soon as you step on the pedal that thing just picks up without even trying. wish i could drive the John Cooper S'Charged models some day.. the only thing is, i feel so unsafe when i drive in it. i would also never buy it as an everyday type car. although gas efficient, you just cant lug people or objects at all. also feels claustrophobic after 30 minutes of driving..
Old 03-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autobild.de
Old 03-18-2005, 04:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Brrrrrrrrr!! Cold weather testing?!?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Safety Car

Can't say I like the interior, for the money people are paying I don't think the car offers much at all other than a trendy look. Wish a Japanese company had aquired the brand.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Maxi Mini: 2007 Mini goes large with longer-wheelbase version - - By JULIAN RENDELL - - Source: Autoweek

Once you get past the new turbocharged engines for BMW’s next-generation Mini due for 2007 (Dec. 27, 2004), the biggest news is the stretched wheelbase as revealed in these recent spy shots.

While the core body style will remain a three-door hatchback (with a two-seat speedster rumored), BMW is working on a longer-wheelbase version that will open the door for a wider range of Minis, including a five-door with more rear legroom and added cargo area. Could a three-door version of this herald the return of the Clubman? We can only hope.

The stretched Mini features a more upright rear hatchback, along with a pair of rear-hinged doors for easier access to the rear seats. The five-door will likely feature a Rolls-Royce electronic locking system that will allow the rear doors to open independently of the front ones—a major convenience improvement over most suicide-door systems.

The interior is new, and features a dashboard design with a centrally mounted speedometer but a much narrower fascia bounded by circular air vents. The dash will be available in wood trim as well as body color.

A new front end features bug-eyed headlights, and while the overall feel of the face is familiar, details change. The nose is a more upright design to satisfy new European pedestrian-protection laws, while the grille is moved above the bumper line, making for a cleaner license plate mount and allowing space below for an enlarged lower air intake.

This is needed because the Cooper and Cooper S models will feature new 1.6-liter turbo fours requiring an intercooler located fairly low in the front fascia of the new Mini. BMW is considering two turbo versions, making 143 hp in the Cooper and 170 hp in the S, and a base non-turbo Cooper model producing 115 hp.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Bangled!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autoweek.nl Forums
Old 04-22-2005, 01:49 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
interior
Old 04-22-2005, 04:55 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I used to like these cars...until I drove one. No thanks.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Just when you thought the speedo was too big before now that made even bigger.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 1killercls
Really? What was it like? I have to go out and start testing again. There's so much I have not driven.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Just when you thought the speedo was too big before now that made even bigger.
My first thought exactly.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by 1killercls
It is no speed demon, but no one can deny the handling of the cooper. It handles like no other.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

210-hp Mini Cooper S Coming Soon

OXFORD, England — A hot new version of the Mini will be available in October when the 210-hp John Cooper Works (JCW) engine tuning kit will be available as a factory-fit option on the Mini Cooper S hatch and convertible.

The most powerful and quickest official Mini on the road will cost an extra $6,400 at U.K. prices, but the JCW Mini Cooper S has a top speed of 143 mph and a 0-to-60-mph time of just under 6.6 seconds. The kit features a modified cylinder
head with higher compression, modified engine electronics and increased throughput injectors.

The factory option will also include 16-inch disc brakes and calipers, exhaust pipe finisher, front apron and tailgate badges, and certificate of authenticity. A limited-slip differential is also included.

Mike Cooper, managing director of John Cooper Works, has been heavily involved in the introduction of the kits at Plant Oxford. He said: "I'm pleased that the partnership with the new Mini has been such a success. The kits offered as a factory-fit option show how closely we work together and will provide us at John Cooper Works with more time to develop further high-performance products." John Cooper developed the original Mini Cooper, which won Monte Carlo Rallies in the 1960s.
Source Edmunds, File image above.

Quick Reply: MINI: Cooper News