Mercury: Milan news **Floor Mat Issue (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
Thats a very nice car, what was Ford thinking not bringing it here. I also like Australia's Ford Falcon as well. GM is starting to use its European subsidiaries more and more; Ford should right away.
Looks like the Euro Ford designers and engineers pay attention more to detail and quality. While US FoMoCo are stuck on mass producing crap, although the 500 looks nice it still doesn't hold a candle to the Mondeo. I also like the Turbo Ford Falcons but of course we won't get that either.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

I love the Mondeo. And you can see the family resemblence already on the Focus. Falcon's nice too. And imagine that; a 6sp stick in the black one... nice.

Last edited by titan; 02-10-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:15 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitely i see a hint of passat. nice job.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by titan
I love the Mondeo. And you can see the family resemblence already on the Focus. Falcon's nice too. And imagine that; a 6sp stick in the black one... nice.
Yea, the euro Focus' aren't too shabby either. It makes the US Focus' look cheap in comparison.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, I love that Focus. And we (the U.S. market) essentially have the cheap one. This new Focus built on the same global platform as the S40 is much improved over the last gen, yet this Focus isn't coming to the U.S. anytime soon. We continue to have to make due with the old version (though refreshed).
Old 02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
The Euro Focus's interior looks very VW-esque.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phile
The Euro Focus's interior looks very VW-esque.
I agree, if you were to take the Ford badges off most people would probably guess it's some new VW model.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
In fact, I really like that navy blue/tan color combo.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Kabachitare!

Hardly a home run, but a base hit I think.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
American car companies are always one step behind. Now it seems they are getting much closer to industry standards at the given time. American sedans were a joke until just recently.

They are not always a step behind. It looks that way to you and other car enthusiasts becasue car enthusiasts rarely notice trucks. Again, GM and Ford were going after the truck market during the past 20 years. Hence the deterioration of the car segment of the industry.

Compare the truck segment from 1985 to 2000 between FM and Ford and the Imports. Who wins hands down? No doubt about what that answer is.

During the last 5-7 years though, people pay more for cars they buy and the trend will continue as such. Hence the change in priorities from GM and Ford. But because it happened recently (4 years on average), it will take a few more years to materialize.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Looks like the Euro Ford designers and engineers pay attention more to detail and quality. While US FoMoCo are stuck on mass producing crap, although the 500 looks nice it still doesn't hold a candle to the Mondeo. I also like the Turbo Ford Falcons but of course we won't get that either.

This is relevant to my above statement to Max. Europe has been about cars 100% all along. Only lately you see some SUVs and Minivans on the road and even now, the % is very low as compared to our market.

So Ford in order to compete in Europe, they had to be better at designing cars. Same for GM's Opel and others. So it's no surprise.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Yea, the euro Focus' aren't too shabby either. It makes the US Focus' look cheap in comparison.

That's because the Euro focus got a new generation car recently without the US market getting one yet. Of course it's gonna look better and more expensive.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gavriil
That's because the Euro focus got a new generation car recently without the US market getting one yet. Of course it's gonna look better and more expensive.
I know that the Euro Focus rides on the new C1 platform. I just think it's a shame that they get a new Focus first, while in the US Ford still uses the same old Focus with a little refreshing in the exterior and interior.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:07 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Chicago Autoshow
Old 02-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I know that the Euro Focus rides on the new C1 platform. I just think it's a shame that they get a new Focus first, while in the US Ford still uses the same old Focus with a little refreshing in the exterior and interior.

Ford is under a lot of pressure in Europe at that category. This category here is nowhere near as compatitive as it is Europe. The Focus category in Europe is the equivelant of the Accord and Camry category here.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

I've seen a lot of disses on the TSX because it's the Euro/Japan 'Accord' with a lot of lux tacked on. The Accord overseas plays with the Ford Mondeo, Nissan Primera, Opel Vectra, Toyota Avensis... "C segment" cars which aren't considered to be all that fancy or exciting.

For GM or Ford, Europe is the wrong place to tap for new models for the US market. They have a lot of powerful and large cars in Australia and should try to build them here for the USA. The Australian market is much more comparable to the US market than the British, German, or Japanese.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

The reason we aren't getting it is cost, ford makes more money by continuing to sell the current focus here instead of bringing the new car.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mercury sets Milan base price at $18,995 - - By Dale Jewett - - Source: Automotive News

DETROIT -- Mercury's new Milan mid-sized sedan will carry a base price of $18,995, including shipping charges, when it goes on sale this fall.

That's $1,000 more than the base price of the similar Ford Fusion. Ford announced some of its pricing for the Fusion on Thursday.

The Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan use the same platform, a slightly enlarged version of the Mazda6 platform.

The vehicles also use the same powertrains: a 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine, mated to either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission; and a 3.0-liter V-6 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

A Milan with the V-6 engine will have a sticker price starting at $21,995.

The Milan will be offered in two trim levels. Antilock brakes are an option on the base Milan, but are included in the Premier trim level. Side-impact and side-curtain airbags are offered as part of an option package.

The Mercury Milan, Ford Fusion and similarly sized Lincoln Zephyr will be built at Ford Motor Co.'s assembly plant in Hermosillo, Mexico.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Now this Mercury, is priced right.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Floor Mat

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Federal car safety regulators are warning owners of 2010 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan sedans of possible dangers from floor mats.

Owners were told gas pedals could become stuck if all-weather floor mats are stacked on top of the cars' standard mats.

"Any Ford 'All Weather' optional floor mat should be placed in the driver's side foot well only after first unfastening and removing the standard, carpeted floor mat," the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration said in a statement Friday. "This is the only way to ensure that the 'All Weather' optional floor mat is physically secured to the floor."

Last fall, Toyota (TM) recalled cars because of a similar issue. That recall, which ultimately included about 5 million vehicles, started after a family was killed in a crash that was apparently caused by a gas pedal trapped by an all-weather floor mat.

The auto safety agency has received three complaints that gas pedals on the Ford vehicles got stuck after an all weather floor mat slipped forward and trapped the gas pedal. This usually happens when the gas pedal is pushed all the way to the floor or close to it. None of the complaints have involved crashes, injuries or deaths.

The agency is opening a formal investigation into the problem.

The Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan are two closely related mid-sized cars. A third version, the Lincoln MkZ, was not included in the warning. It was not immediately clear why the MkZ would not be included.

Ford Motor Co. (F, Fortune 500) did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The stuck pedal problem can happen in many vehicles, NHTSA warned. The agency urged owners to use care when installing floor mats and follow manufacturers' instructions.

If a gas pedal becomes stuck during driving, drivers should press firmly on the brake pedal -- do not pump the brakes -- and shift the transmission to neutral then steer the car safely to the side of the road, NHTSA advised.