Mercury Meta One Concept News **Pics and Info (page 1)**

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercury Meta One Concept News **Pics and Info (page 1)**

Mercury unveils sketch of Meta One crossover concept - - By Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

The Mercury Meta One concept hints at the design of a Mercury crossover vehicle slated for production in 2007. The concept, which will be shown at the Detroit auto show in January, also features safety technology such as lane-departure warning.

The new Mercury production vehicle is being derived from the Ford Freestyle sport wagon that went on sale this fall. It will be built at Ford Motor Co.'s Chicago plant.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno way too many crossovers in my opinion, but hey, lets see what the final product looks like.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

It will probably be as radical a difference as the montego and 500 have.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
and the Explorer vs. the Mountaineer
and the Escape vs. the Mariner
Old 11-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Kabachitare!

Yawn. More Grille Engineerig from Ford.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'cause what we really need in this country is another suv crossover
Old 11-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kansaiwalker1
Yawn. More Grille Engineerig from Ford.
Yep. I mean, really, WTF. Ford really thinks customers are dumb. Even GM's stopped blatent badge engineering. This is horrible. Mercury still doesn't have anything unique to the brand.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
Yep. I mean, really, WTF. Ford really thinks customers are dumb. Even GM's stopped blatent badge engineering. This is horrible. Mercury still doesn't have anything unique to the brand.
Actually the Trailblazer/Envoy and the Canyon/Colorado are pretty much identical
Old 11-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For that matter there are about 5 different badges on the damn envoy. Isuzu, gmc, chevrolet, buick, and I beleive Saturn is about to join the ranks.

Same with the Burban/yukon xl/escalade xl and the tahoe/yukon/escalade/(i consider h2 right there with them)

And wait until the pontiac solstice comes out. They are projecting 3 or 4 different badges on it too.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Safety Car

^ It's true about the Envoy platform, and Tahoe/Suburban, but that's it as for as blatant badge engineering. GM's still doing a bunch of platform sharing, but it's not just putting a different badge on the same car. The Soltice platform will support a few cars, but it's wheelbase can be lengthened and shortened, and it's extremely flexible. The cars that the platform support will look nothing alike, and are supposed to provide (hopefully) very different driving experiences. Unless your a car freak like us, you won't be able to to pick out sister cars with that platform like you can with the Trailblazer/Envoy,etc., and Explorer/Mariner. Even though GM's not trying to keep it a secret, I'll bet the average consumer doesn't realize that the 9-3 shares the same Epsilon platform with the Malibu and G6... they're executed in different ways.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: allcarscentral.philip-price.net Forum
Old 12-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2005 Detroit: Mercury's Meta One sport wagon concept for Detroit showcases advances - - By RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- From its diesel-electric hybrid powertrain to its advanced safety features, the Mercury Meta One concept is one of the most technically advanced vehicles Ford Motor Co. has built.

The mid-sized sport wagon offers a glimpse of two upcoming safety systems. And its external styling is a strong preview of the Mercury version of the Freestyle.

Mercury is scheduled to get the sport wagon in 2007.

Low emissions

The diesel engine runs so cleanly that the Meta One qualifies as a partial zero-emissions vehicle, the strictest existing standard. The engine has a high-pressure common-rail fuel injection system, plus catalysts and filters. Its urea injection system helps cleanse the exhaust system of particulate emissions.

The 2.7-liter diesel V6 is a modified version of the engine Ford builds with Peugeot in Europe for the Jaguar S-Type. The engine has two turbochargers and develops 248 hp.

The torque converter has been replaced with an electric motor that also acts as a starter and alternator. It can propel the vehicle by itself at low speeds.

Fuel economy is about 30 percent better than that of the V-6-equipped Freestyle, says Dave Wagner, technology manager for the Meta One.

Safety features

The Meta One has a lane-departure warning system and a braking system that mitigates collisions. Both could be integrated easily into existing electrical and brake systems, Ford officials say.

The lane-departure warning system uses a camera that reads the lines in the road. If the vehicle drifts over the center line or left or right lines, the driver is warned.

The collision-mitigation system automatically applies the brakes when it determines a collision is unavoidable.

Software remains a major challenge to both safety systems. Engineers must determine how to make each effective under a wide variety of driving conditions.

The systems are expected to be approved for production in the next few years.

The wild card in the Meta One's technology mix is its urea-injection system.

Urea, an ammonia-like acid, offers an inexpensive way to make diesels meet emissions standards. But the vehicle will fail to meet emissions standards if the driver lets the urea system run dry, a scenario that worries the EPA.

Mercedes-Benz plans to use urea injection in North American diesels sometime around 2007.

Ford has been working on urea injection for at least five years, Wagner says: "This technology is out in heavy trucks, and it is moving into lightweight vehicles in Europe."

Old 12-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

250HP from a 2.7 liter diesel engine. That's pretty impressive. That's what the previous S4 made from a biturbo gas engine.

Diesel-Hybrid is the (mid-term) feature.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

See that's why I dont make much of official sketches. I mean look at the sketch and then look at the real thing. They are two different vehicles almost. No?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by bl^5
For that matter there are about 5 different badges on the damn envoy. Isuzu, gmc, chevrolet, buick, and I beleive Saturn is about to join the ranks.
Don't forget the Saab 'blazer'.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:01 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavriil
See that's why I dont make much of official sketches. I mean look at the sketch and then look at the real thing. They are two different vehicles almost. No?

Old 12-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Much, much better than the sketch. And much, much nicer than it's Ford Freestyle counterpart. I even like the sound of this engine (2.7L Diesel @ 250HP) than the Ford's... They should have giving this exclusively to Mercury so they could have a unique product, instead of having just another rebadged Ford.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:49 PM
That's Racist

That car uses Urea in it's engine.