Mercedes-Benz: SLK-Class news **2012 AMG Revealed (page 7)**

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 07:55 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I finally got to see one of these in person today. I was very surprised by the size. Close up it looked beefier that the previous gen SLK, probably because it's more round than square, especially in the rear. The hood seems quite a bit longer and more SL-ish than the previous SLK. The interiors actually looked comfortable for a roadster. The wheels looked huge. The SLR-style front actually doesn't look too bad in person.
It looks like a very nice change for the SLK. IMO, M-B has done a great job with all the new designs.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by einsatz
I finally got to see one of these in person today. I was very surprised by the size. Close up it looked beefier that the previous gen SLK, probably because it's more round than square, especially in the rear. The hood seems quite a bit longer and more SL-ish than the previous SLK. The interiors actually looked comfortable for a roadster. The wheels looked huge. The SLR-style front actually doesn't look too bad in person.
It looks like a very nice change for the SLK. IMO, M-B has done a great job with all the new designs.
I saw this car for the first time in Cancun Mexico about 2 months ago and it looks great, especially from the rear.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SLK55 (or the SLK350 with the sport package).........looks much better than the standard 350.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Unreliable rumors of an SLK280 making it to our shores. The 2.8L V6 makes about 204 HP ECE in Europe, but I am not aware of this 2.8L engine being currently used in Europe.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Europe also gets an SLK200 Kompressor (1.8L) with 163 HP.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
That 2.8L V6 is a new one that is just being rolled out. It will be used in the C280 and other vehicles. I think it's supposed to come out in a couple of months. It's MBs answer to the new 2.5L I6 from BMW in the 3 series.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:52 AM

So they're actually offering a smaller engine than the "base" 3.5L V6? ok. When's the Diesel coming out? :P

I've seen a few SLK-350s around here, there's a white one with diplomatic plates I see around Tyson's Corner a lot. I kinda like it and the thought of leasing one has entered my mind more than once, but then I start thinking about the new Boxster... Then I realize I better build more equity in the house first.

Last edited by einsatz; 04-06-2005 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

So phase 2 and 3 of xxx in my quest for the next vehicle purchase took place today. Phase two was the SLK350 and phase 3 was the Audi S4. Both 2005s, both new of course. I will write about the S4 in the appropriate thread.

While in the MB dealer I had some time to check out some of the other offerings. There was a C55 there, an S65, a CL600 and other cars. I was surprised to see so many MB cars getting taxed on the gas guzzler tax. Even the S430 had a $1000 gas guzzler tax premium! Very quickly, the interior of the C55 looks great but the quality of a large number of the materials used in the interior, espcially knobs, switches are of very low quality. A lot of the things I was touching felt flimsy and did not inspire luxrury.

The SLK350 I drove was one equipped with the $4000 AMG package. In my opinion, way too expensive but I have not driven one without it to compare.

Let me say that the MB salesguy was very much a gentleman, knowledgable and you can tell you were getting service from..."premium people" like their products. I am saying this because I got the opposite feeling from the Audi folks and this is not the first time (I got the feeling of sub-par quality of people within Audi dealerships).

While still outside of the car, the rep held the appropriate button on the key and the top went down in about 20 seconds. Totally silent, very smooth and very simple. It did give me the impression of quality/luxury. It was a positive demo.

I sit in the car and try to situate myself. It does take a little longer to situate inside an SLK than it does in a G coupe for example. Finding the power-seat buttons on the left of the seat (ala-CLS and unlike most MBs where the buttons are on the door) takes a while because there is not much room in there. I had to open the door to find one of the two buttons. I was pushing the memory buttons. Ergonomically it is a problem but not a big deal because once one knows where they are, it's over and done with, plus you dont play with these often.

Ergonomically, a lot of the buttons within German-made cars are placed peculiarly. Japanese luxury makers are way ahead in that department.

I have talked about the interior of the SLK from my Chicago Auto Show review. Overall, as far as quality, it is not where it should be in my opinion. Even the new Boxster has surpassed the SLK is what I felt when sat in one at the show. The design of the interior is better within that of the SLK's but the quality is not...up there. It's not unacceptable, but not appropriate for a low $50Ks type of car.

Talking about ergonomics, another problem in my opinion and one that the driver needs to get used to is the fact that MB uses one lever for both the indicator lights but also the windshield wiper/fluid controls and a mini one for the cruise control. The problem is that both are located on the left of the steering wheel and the CC lever is more ergonomic to reach than the indicator lights one, which made me keep reaching for the CC lever before every corner. Very disconcerting.

Before I forget, the standard BOSE radio is nothing to write home about. Harman Kardon is the upgrade. It better sound a lot better. Again, the radio in a car priced as this one, should sound much better. There shouldnt even be an upgrade in my opinion. One great radio in the SLK. That's it. Also, the 6 disc CD changer is not IN-DASH but not in the trunk either. They put it in the glove box which makes the "glove" box inappropriate even for a pair of gloves. NO space in there! Very unacceptable in my opinion. It's like trying to make a naturally impractical car, even more impractical.

In all fairness there is a second...glove box between the two seats. Very small, but even a little storage space in this car is a lot, so draw your own conclusions.

I dont want to make this car sound like an MR2, as far as available storage space, but inside there is not much space for anything.

The steering wheel is all power and telescopic which makes it very easy to find the ideal position as a driver.

The key is...keyless. It's a plastic piece you match with the "lock-whole" and turn like a key. Fine with me but a start button would be appropriate for this car. After all even the GS gets one these days

I get pickier with every price increase. The more expensive the car, the pickier I get. so please adjust for that....

Turn the key and the engine starts. It does sound ok at idle. I start feeling the stick and it feels very un-Mercedes smooth. "This feels almost like BMW-like" I told the rep. "I'll take that as a compliment" he replied.

The clutch feels softer than the G's but not soft enough to call it super user friendly. Also the clutch engagement was slightly better than that of the G's but not a big difference here and overall in the middle of the pack to slightly better than average.

I am in first and I take the first 90 degree turn with a little bit of authority. The first thing that came to mind was that this car felt just like the Z350 felt when I took the first similar corner, at the very same area 9 months ago or so. Provoking the tail to come out at other turns later, showed that this car was tuned for sport first in mind! Very un-MB-like I mean to call an MB a Z350 in its driving characteristics says a lot.

Talking about a Z...the SLK's engine reminded of the Z's also. I have called that engine a small V8 in feel and that's how the SLK's felt minus the sound. I will characterize the sound as...uninspiring, at best. I was quite disappointed at that. Mostly because this is one great motor! It feels a little less torqy than the Z's but it pulls very hard at the upper rev band, so it reminded me of exactly how the 300HP version of that engine found in the G35C 6MT I drove yesterday. Coupling that with the fact that this is a lighter car and a smaller, shorter car, you can imagine that it felt sportier than the G. It felt like a Z, only more rigid.

Before driving the SLK350 I thought that the engine may not have been enough and could not have thought of contemplating about having to deal with the SLK55's price. But after driving this car, I changed my mind. This is enough engine for this small car. The low 5s 0-60 numbers every other mag gets are totally realistic from what I felt. The car felt slightly quicker than the G I drove. I am expecting the G to do the 60 in 5.6 seconds.

Talking about rigid before, this is one very tight car for a roadster. I was very weary about the suspension thinking it's equipped with the AMG package. I went over patchy roads. No worries. Not as compliant as the G but very livable. No problems living with this setup, more problems living without the 4K for it

The steering was great. The brakes? I never tested to the fullest extend but judging from stopping times from mag tests they are top notch.

Stopped in the middle of the test and put the top up. This is two cars in one. As expected. It feels as quiet as our CLS with the top up. Surprisingly there was pretty good wind buffeting with the top down but it was very windy during that time. What a great day for a top down ride. Sunny and 78!

The car had airscarf but I did not try it. IN theory airscarf sounds something I would pay for. It will increase the number of days one will have the top down so it's worth it. Heated seats and dual zone auto climate control were part of the options. Talking about peculiar ergonomics before, there was an A/C OFF button. But not the opposite I dont understand the Germans sometimes.

At the end I asked to see the trunk. Not a good idea. There is not much trunk space at all folks. Basically, one medium sized, or MAYBE big size suitcase MAY fit back there. So when I go to the airport to fly on business, I better be by myslef. Which I am, unless if going on vacation and for that we have the RX. This can only be a second car for a married couple even if no kids are around yet (our case).

Overall I was very happy with this car mostly because of its driver characteristics. It is at the top of my list currently with its biggest disadvantages:

1. Price (although I feel better now that I discovered tha the engine is sufficient)
2. Lack of storage (mostly trunk)
3. Lack of rear seats (this will make it expensive to insure I am sure)
Old 05-26-2005, 06:51 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
I'm very surprised to hear how sporty this car is..and with a stick shift ( i thought only the 230 had one)

I never think of mercedes and great handling in the same sentence...so this is cool to hear.

I cant wait to hear what you say about the S4...I wrote a mini review a couple months ago in car of the same car. be interesting how different/same your comparison is.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:04 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I'm very surprised to hear how sporty this car is..and with a stick shift ( i thought only the 230 had one)

I never think of mercedes and great handling in the same sentence...so this is cool to hear.

I cant wait to hear what you say about the S4...I wrote a mini review a couple months ago in car of the same car. be interesting how different/same your comparison is.
Top Gear said that the CLS handles very well for what it is. To be fair, Top Gear has less journalistic integrity than Gavriil's left pinky and they <3 German cars, but they usually knock on MB for their shitty handling so I was surprised. Maybe MB is going after BMW in that department now that they've crushed em in the power wars?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmemberer
Top Gear said that the CLS handles very well for what it is. To be fair, Top Gear has less journalistic integrity than Gavriil's left pinky and they <3 German cars, but they usually knock on MB for their shitty handling so I was surprised. Maybe MB is going after BMW in that department now that they've crushed em in the power wars?
If merc finally started making cars that handled as well as bimmers...well....they might actually get me to love their for first time ever.

I have been in a CLS and see them a lot out here, and I think they are hot.

but i still merc is the most overpriced car you can get...and their quality is dropping.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

There is no SLK230.

The 06s will add the 280 as I mentioned. That will be the smallest engine offered for 06 at least.

I will write about the S4 today probably.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

If merc finally started making cars that handled as well as bimmers...well....they might actually get me to love their for first time ever.

I have been in a CLS and see them a lot out here, and I think they are hot.

but i still merc is the most overpriced car you can get...and their quality is dropping.
From what I understand Merc's quality is getting better. If it continues like that in about 3 years they will again be at the top.

Yes, this SLK is a serious sport car (especially with the AMG package).
Old 05-28-2005, 02:32 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great review, gav!!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
great review....makes me want to go out, rob a bank and go buy one
Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Thank you and thank you.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG - - AMG demonstrates that for once it's not all about the engine. - - BY DAVE VANDERWERP - - PHOTOGRAPHY BY AARON KILEY - - Source: CarandDriver.com - - June 2005

THE VERDICT
Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG

Highs: Overachieving seven-speed transmission, aggressive good looks, not overpriced, sweet naturally aspirated V-8 music.

Lows: Jerky stops caused by intrusive downshifts, heavy steering, still an automatic.

The Verdict: A stylish roadster that's not afraid to perform

-------------------------------------------------------------

MERCEDES-BENZ SLK55 AMG
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door roadster

Price as tested: $63,550

Price and option breakdown: base Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG (includes $1300 gas-guzzler tax and $720 freight), $62,520; metallic paint, $680; Airscarf neck heaters, $350

Major standard accessories: power windows, seats, and locks; remote locking; A/C; cruise control; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; rear defroster

Sound system: Mercedes-Benz AM-FM radio/CD player, 10 speakers

ENGINE
Type: V-8, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke: 3.82 x 3.62 in, 97.0 x 92.0mm
Displacement: 332 cu in, 5439cc
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Fuel-delivery system: port injection
Valve gear: chain-driven single overhead cams,
3 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters
Power (SAE net): 355 bhp @ 5750 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 376 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6700 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission: 7-speed automatic with manumatic shifting
Final-drive ratio: 3.06:1
Gear Ratio Mph/1000 rpm Max test speed
I, 4.38, 5.3, 36 mph (6700 rpm)
II, 2.86, 8.2, 55 mph (6700 rpm)
III, 1.92, 12.2, 81 mph (6700 rpm)
IV, 1.37, 17.0, 114 mph (6700 rpm)
V, 1.00, 23.3, 156 mph (6700 rpm)
VI, 0.82, 28.5, 156 mph (5500 rpm)
VII, 0.73, 32.0, 156 mph (4900 rpm)

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 95.7 in
Track, front/rear: 60.0/61.0 in
Length/width/height: 160.9/70.6/50.0 in
Ground clearance: 3.9 in
Drag area, Cd (0.35) x frontal area (21.0 sq ft): 7.4 sq ft
Curb weight: 3455 lb
Weight distribution, F/R: 52.8/47.2%
Curb weight per horsepower: 9.7 lb
Fuel capacity: 18.5 gal

CHASSIS/BODY
Type: unit construction with
1 rubber-isolated subframe
Body material: welded steel stampings

INTERIOR
SAE volume, front seat: 49 cu ft
luggage, top up/down: 10/7 cu ft
Front-seat adjustments: fore-and-aft, seatback angle, front height, rear height
Restraint systems, front: manual 3-point belts, driver and passenger front and side airbags

SUSPENSION
Front: ind, strut located by 1 diagonal link and 1 lateral link, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Rear: ind; 1 trailing link, 3 lateral links, and 1 toe-control link per side; coil springs; anti-roll bar

STEERING
Type: rack-and-pinion with variable hydraulic power assist
Steering ratio: 14.5:1
Turns lock-to-lock: 2.9
Turning circle curb-to-curb: 34.4 ft

BRAKES
Type: hydraulic with vacuum power assist, anti-lock control, and electronic panic assist
Front: 13.4 x 1.2-in vented, cross-drilled disc Rear: 13.0 x 0.9-in vented, cross-drilled disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size: F: 7.5 x 18 in, R: 8.5 x 18 in
Wheel type: cast aluminum
Tires: Pirelli P Zero Rosso MO; F: 225/40ZR-18 92Y,
R: 245/35ZR-18 92Y
Test inflation pressures, F/R: 36/39 psi
Spare: compact inflatable
C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 1.6
40 mph: 2.3
50 mph: 3.2
60 mph: 4.3
70 mph: 5.4
80 mph: 7.0
90 mph: 8.5
100 mph: 10.3
110 mph: 12.6
120 mph: 15.3
130 mph: 18.4
140 mph: 22.2
150 mph: 28.0
Street start, 5-60 mph: 4.6
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 2.3
50-70 mph: 2.9
Standing 1/4-mile: 12.7 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 156 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 156 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.91 g
Understeer: minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving: 16 mpg
EPA highway driving: 22 mpg
C/D-observed: 17 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
Idle: 47 dBA
Full-throttle acceleration: 83 dBA
70-mph cruising: 72 dBA
Old 06-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Holy crap! 4.3 to 60mph? Jeebus.

This goes in the "rice container" with the 911 and the F430
Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

12.7 for the 1/4 with an auto tranny is some serious acceleration.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 06-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,772 Likes on 13,966 Posts
As much as I like the car's look, I always find the SLK kinda girly (a la the same boat the Miata)...or is that just me?

But, nice numbers...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Yumchah
As much as I like the car's look, I always find the SLK kinda girly (a la the same boat the Miata)...or is that just me?

But, nice numbers...
I really don't understand the whole "chick car" thing (and it's not personally directed at you, you simply mentioned it) ... If the car isn't bright pink with a huge bow on top who really cares?

4.3 seconds to 60? It can be a chick car all it wants IMO
Old 06-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,772 Likes on 13,966 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I really don't understand the whole "chick car" thing (and it's not personally directed at you, you simply mentioned it) ... If the car isn't bright pink with a huge bow on top who really cares?

4.3 seconds to 60? It can be a chick car all it wants IMO
I suppose it's the size...and the fact that most of the SLKs I see around here are driven by women.

Nevertheless, I'm comfortable enough with my manhood to jump into the Merc if I ever had the money for one and was in the market for a small roadster...

Now then, where's my pink shirt?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavriil
12.7 for the 1/4 with an auto tranny is some serious acceleration.
and it doesn't really seem that expensive. Although, that's probably just the bare bones.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Here's another amazing thing ... The SLK55 is faster to 60 than the F430 and trails the Ferrari by .9 seconds to 100mph ... That's probably where the extra 128hp the Ferrari has on tap comes in Plus the SLK does .91 on the skidpad ... This is a serious car

Ferrari - $140k, SLK55 - $65k ...
Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 11-05-2005, 12:29 AM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 11-05-2005, 01:26 AM
To punish and enslave

I can't say much about the coupe yet, it looks good but I need more angles.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
well played Mercedes.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Z4 coupe > SLK coupe
Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 AM

Sorry, but that coupe looks like ass.
I really like the vert though. Wish I had 50k laying around.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by einsatz
Sorry, but that coupe looks like ass.
I really like the vert though. Wish I had 50k laying around.
For $58,000+, give me the Boxster S, M3, or C6 vert before an SLK350. Same holds true for the $68,000+ SLK55.

I love MB's and think the SLK is a pretty awesome car, but the car is an absolute joke for what they are charging for it.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cob3683
SLK55 will cost 63974 EUROS?!??! THats $81,000!!!! WTF is MB thinking???
you can't do a straight conversion like that
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
Gav needs to sticky that shit all over the front page
Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
I was aware.

Curious as to why you're responding to a post that was made 2 years ago when MB has a history of pricing somewhat close to the conversion rates?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG SS - - Source: http://www.netcarshow.com/

Performance, driving dynamics and lightweight construction in perfection: With 294 kW/400 hp: exclusive, puristic special series of the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG

As the only eight-cylinder roadster in its segment the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG provides unique driving experience. The two-seater is now even more sporty: Mercedes AMG has developed an exclusive and distinctly puristic special series which sets new standards in driving dynamics. With the AMG 5.5-litre V8 engine enhanced to 294 kW/400 hp and 520 Newton metres, numerous lightweight construction components, carbon hardtop, 19-inch AMG forged wheels, AMG height-adjustable torsion sports suspension and AMG high-performance composite brake system the special SLK 55 AMG demonstrates even more convincingly its sports talent - and makes a good figure on any closed course.

Wide, stocky and low slung - the first impression already makes it clear that the SLK 55 AMG is something very special. The front of the car fascinates with the restyled AMG front apron with large air intakes which supply the additional transmission oil cooler and the high-performance steering gear oil cooler with sufficient fresh air. New side air outlets of black carbon ensure an effective flow through of the larger engine oil cooler. The front fenders which are now wider are made of the ultra-light carbon-fibre-reinforced-plastic (CRP) and have black out-lined air outlets.

The non-retractable hardtop of the two-seater is also made of CRP; the black central part with carbon fibre structure provides attractive optical effects. Dis-carding of the vario roof and the complete roof hydraulics has not only enabled a lowering of the centre of gravity, but has also resulted in a notable reduction of weight - the puristic special series of the SLK 55 AMG is with a curb weight of 1,495 kg according to EC standard 45 kg lighter than the basic vehicle. This means that the power/weight ratio has improved from 4.3 to 3.7 kg/hp.

AMG 5.5-litre V8 engine with 294 kW/400 hp and 520 Nm torque

Appropriate to the optimised weight there is a redeveloped AMG 5.5-litre V8 engine under the bonnet with a maximum performance of 294 kW/400 hp, as well as a 520 Newton metres torque. A modified air intake, AMG sports air filter as well as newly developed fan-type exhaust pipes provide an efficient gas cycle and enable that the eight-cylinder reacts more promptly to accelerator pedal movement - which is acoustically noticeable due to the unmistakable V8 sound. The combination of a lower vehicle weight and a high-performance AMG eight-cylinder engine guarantees first-class driving performance: the acceleration from zero to 100 km/h requires only 4.5 seconds (standard vehicle: 4.9 secs.), after 15.5 seconds the SLK 55 AMG already achieves 200 km/h (standard vehicle 17.5 secs.). Power transmission is supplied by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT 7G-TRONIC with manual drive program and AMG aluminium shift paddles on the steering wheel. The chassis and brake system are the ideal partners for the dynamic drive package. For example, the AMG height-adjustable torsion suspension, including adjustable shock absorbers, which has been optimised on the racetrack, allows amazing cornering speed. A brace in the engine compartment provides additional rigidity and more lateral dynamics. The special series SLK 55 AMG has ultra-light AMG forged light alloy-wheels with mixed-size tyres in sizes 235/35 ZR 19 (front) and 265/30 ZR 19 (rear) - as an alternative, optional special sports tyres are available without extra charge. Perfect deceleration is guaranteed by the AMG high-performance brake system with larger composite discs on the front axle.

Interior functional atmosphere of a real racing car

The racing design is consistently continued in the interior: two specially developed AMG sport bucket seats without side airbags in black pearl velour with silver AMG logo offer the best lateral support, the new AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel in leather and Alcantara enables perfect control of the vehicle. Ample carbon fibre on the door panel lining as well as on the trim parts give the interior the functional atmosphere of a real racing car - and are an affirmation of the almost 40 years of Mercedes-AMG motorsport history.

Despite potential racetrack driving dynamics the special SLK 55 AMG has all the virtues typical of any Mercedes-Benz car: everyday suitability, safety, durability, quality and standards of service for the most demanding requirements. The first models of the unlimited AMG special series will be supplied to customers as of July. The price in Germany is 107,300 euros (incl. 16% VAT).

Old 06-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am confused by the "SS" denotation from MB. This should have been a natural evolution of the current car for 2007 IMO, maybe minus the sport seats and some of the carbon fiber?

Also, I am surpirsed by the continued effort from MB to unter-tire the SLK AMG. Even the base model is undertired with 265 tires in the back.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Instructor

that thing is beautiful. /mercedes fanboy
Old 06-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Burn some dust here

I've always like the AMG SLK's but this new one has been priced too much since the beginning. $70,000ish for a SLK is about $10,000 too much in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I agree ... $70k (converted from Euros) is a hell of a lot for a SLK.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: SLK-Class news **2012 AMG Revealed (page 7)**