Mercedes-Benz: S-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 95gt
and

always thought it was sad those people that just want to get the symbol on the hood and buy the absolute cheapest mercedes or bimmer even though they could get something much better at the same price.

like the 525's i keep seeing. You just paid 45k for a 184 hp car. well done
I agree with the 325 and 525 examples. Especially when in auto tranny trim. Real bad decision.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
You mean the S320CDI which produces more torque than even the S500 at a lower RPM range and is available in many countries [such as New Zealand] and is available to see online at: http://www.liveupdater.com/mbnz/pass...s/s-320cdi.asp ?Yeah... why would Americans want that kinda thing?

Is that really what DCX is thinking?
It's not easy to find diesel gas in this country yet. That's one reason. Plus it's still not as sulfur free as it should be. We'll get there eventually.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and

always thought it was sad those people that just want to get the symbol on the hood and buy the absolute cheapest mercedes or bimmer even though they could get something much better at the same price.

like the 525's i keep seeing. You just paid 45k for a 184 hp car. well done

not all people that like nice things, enjoy speeding, or having lots of power

clearly the lower hp model cars cater to those that still like the design and refinement of those cars, but have absolutely no use for the bigger engine.

it makes absolute perfect sense to me, and i dont see it as a "sad" thing at all.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amirsafdari

not all people that like nice things, enjoy speeding, or having lots of power

clearly the lower hp model cars cater to those that still like the design and refinement of those cars, but have absolutely no use for the bigger engine.

it makes absolute perfect sense to me, and i dont see it as a "sad" thing at all.

Not sure who you are kidding but I would think about 90% of the people in those cars just like it because it has a nice fancy german nameplate on it. why would they choose a car that has less power, poor interior, etc for MORE money than something with a less prestigious name. These lower hp cars cater to those that want to say they drive a 5 series but don't have the cash to get a "real" 5 series.

What valid reason is there to get a 525? I will give you that maybe 10% actually like the driving dynamics (I am going to go ahead and throw out the styling because i refuse to believe anyone buys a new 5 series because they prefer the looks) so much that they went for it over a Lexus or Infiniti or Audi.

This goes even more so for the Mercedes because it is not even a nice handling car. It is simply a touring auto. Many, many lower priced cars do its job for less money, more power, better reliability etc.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Not sure who you are kidding but I would think about 90% of the people in those cars just like it because it has a nice fancy german nameplate on it. why would they choose a car that has less power, poor interior, etc for MORE money than something with a less prestigious name. These lower hp cars cater to those that want to say they drive a 5 series but don't have the cash to get a "real" 5 series.
It's not like the 5-Series is the most elegant looking car in its class, or that its interior is unbeatable.

I'm pretty sure there are people out there who value its world renowned handling characteristics, and wouldn't mind a base 5-Series. But I'm willing to bet that a much larger majority value the checkered flag on the hood more than anything else.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phile
But I'm willing to bet that a much larger majority value the checkered flag on the hood more than anything else.

it is the truth. i don't know why people keep making excuses to run around that fact. as long as there is a propeller or three-pointed star on the hood, it's all good.
as for the v6 s-class, it is a step down. it screams "i have the lowest model s-class"
Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92

it is the truth. i don't know why people keep making excuses to run around that fact. as long as there is a propeller or three-pointed star on the hood, it's all good.
as for the v6 s-class, it is a step down. it screams "i have the lowest model s-class"
At the end of the day it's still an S-Class.....and it will sell, which is what MB needs right now.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

economy is the "in" thing.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gavriil

The source of this is not that reliable so I wont quote it, but there are rumors that Mercedes will offer an S350 version of its S-class lineup with the 3.7 liter V6 from the ML350 (that's a different engine from the one used in the SLK350) for an MSRP of about $65,600.

Rumored specs are:

Power: 241 hp @ 5,800 rpm
Torque: 258 lb-ft @ 3,000 to 4,500 rpm
Acceleration: 0 - 60 mph in 7.6 seconds
Fuel economy EPA estimate: 17 mpg
Highway estimate: 25 mpg

Needless to say, Mercedes has been offering versions of its S Class in Europe with many smaller engines, the USA market does not "receive", but this is a peculiar move from the company in my opinion, one that I believe is closely related to the company's latest financial performance.

The 0-60 doesn't seem that bad for such a large car. The price though makes 241hp hard to swallow, maybe if they offered a diesel of the same hp that moved the car into the 6's I would be more into it.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Racer

What valid reason is there to get a 525? I will give you that maybe 10% actually like the driving dynamics (I am going to go ahead and throw out the styling because i refuse to believe anyone buys a new 5 series because they prefer the looks) so much that they went for it over a Lexus or Infiniti or Audi.

This goes even more so for the Mercedes because it is not even a nice handling car. It is simply a touring auto. Many, many lower priced cars do its job for less money, more power, better reliability etc.
Well lets see it from they're perspective. They are happy in their low hp BMW or Benz. They think loaded Japanese cars are stupid, why not just get the brand that everyone respects?
So you can be happy that your car has more power with little prestige or you can have a car with low power but with high prestige. Clearly, the cars sell so its what the person values and wants.

Why get an Acura TSX if you can get a more powerful Accord with the same refinement? Why does Nissan have the G35 and Maxima at the same price? Why does Toyota make the Avalon and ES 330?
I think many people on internet forums fail to realize how much prestige and brand means to people. Everything cannot be put on a graph or chart.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
I think many people on internet forums fail to realize how much prestige and brand means to people. Everything cannot be put on a graph or chart.

Well you can try and argue prestige, imo MB & BMW more prestigous than Lexus, yet here we have Lexus outselling both MB and BMW for a few years now. Why? I think peoples' wallets are effecting their decisions , Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura fail to let quality problems take them down and then on top of that they are willing to offer more in their cars.

People willing to pay more for less are a dying breed.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
wouldnt this cause a downfall in the E-Class?? imean, if you could just get a cheaper S-Class than sure it'll sell.. but that means everyone's gonna be thinking, "why get an E if i can just get an S and pay just a few dollars more?"

most upscale Benz, BMW owners dont really take power into consideration. i see alot of the old crowd jumping into these cars not even really caring about the power, its more of the brand name and the type of car it is.. they get to say "i drive an S-Class Benz" and definitly people will look at the guy and think he's doing good for himself. sure its not the highest benz, but the S class name will do enough.. for most of these guys, power isnt everything..

of course, us car enthusiasts or should i say power and speed enthusiasts, we obviously look at it as the dollar/hp ratio aspect and would never buy a car that's over 65k and has just over 240hp.. but not everyone's like that.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by aaronnn
wouldnt this cause a downfall in the E-Class?? imean, if you could just get a cheaper S-Class than sure it'll sell.. but that means everyone's gonna be thinking, "why get an E if i can just get an S and pay just a few dollars more?"
Because of the same reason an M5 will not canibilize the 760Li, same for the E55 and the S500.

The only (non-AMG) E Class that comes close to the 62K MSRP is the E500 4Matic (and its equivelant wagon version). There is a clear distinction between the two helped by the AWD feature.

Also, you should all keep one thing in mind about the S Class. The S Class in Europe comes in base and L (Long wheelbase) trim. We only get the latter and it's called the S Class. In other words, the S Class we get, has significantly more interior room than the E Class.

Interior room and exterior size and overall stance, make the E and S, two very different cars.

The buyer that will go for the S350 intead of the E500 4Matic (and vice versa) is a very different type of consumer. The E500 AWD driver prioritizes power over size (both inside and out). Loves the safety and handling characteristics of the AWD feature. The S350 driver probably prioritizes branding to power. Size also. "I got the top of the line MB" (as far as body style at least), is what he claims in his head and that makes him feel good.

The above reasons and more, are the exact same set of reasons why we have not seen an "M" 7-Series car and probably wont see one any time soon. The S-Class, 7-Series buyer is distinctly different to the M5 buyer. Very different.

I do think there is room for both types of cars above, because there are buyers for both.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Race Director

90% truly believe that the BMW is superior, they don't just say it for no reason, they really think it is true, and to be honest, compared to acura, it is true.

BMW's are fine cars, from the low end to the top, as much as people like to pretend that they are over-priced, i dont think so. Some people also like the look as well, I think most people do.

Nobody buys a car they think is ugly. In a whole, not everyone puts a lot of thought into buying cars, they just choose one and thats it. I know MANY MANY people that don't need an engine above a v6,.... so than why not?

The enthuisiasts like us make are a very very small market compared to those that go out and buy it cause they just want it.

If I liked nice things, but NEVER drove fast and was a casual driver, i wouldnt mind getting a 525i, just cause your not a speed freak, doesnt mean you cant enjoy nice things
Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amirsafdari
90% truly believe that the BMW is superior, they don't just say it for no reason, they really think it is true, and to be honest, compared to acura, it is true.

BMW's are fine cars, from the low end to the top, as much as people like to pretend that they are over-priced, i dont think so. Some people also like the look as well, I think most people do.

Nobody buys a car they think is ugly. In a whole, not everyone puts a lot of thought into buying cars, they just choose one and thats it. I know MANY MANY people that don't need an engine above a v6,.... so than why not?

The enthuisiasts like us make are a very very small market compared to those that go out and buy it cause they just want it.

If I liked nice things, but NEVER drove fast and was a casual driver, i wouldnt mind getting a 525i, just cause your not a speed freak, doesnt mean you cant enjoy nice things
respect your opinion and and agree that 90% think a BMW is superior but I am quite positive they only think it is superior because it has a nice fancy german name on it. It is not superior on speed (by the way I am not a speed freak I see no need for a 500 hp car but I would like to feel safe enough driving a car around knowing that I could outrun a garbage truck,maybe thats just me), not superior in looks (subjective) not superior in interior, etc. I am sure if you ask most of those drivers they have no idea how nice another brand of cars is (infiniti, lexus, acura) they probably never even looked at anything but the bimmer.

I guess i am of the mind set that i would rather enjoy the nicest thing i can get for my money, prestige doesn't make it on that list (obviously it is important to many others). I would much rather drive a 300 hp acura with awd, nav etc then save 3k and get a 184 hp bimmer with a worse interior, worse styling and less options. Hey but I guess that is just me. You dont have to have a german brand to appreciate nice things
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Race Director

german cars are built better than acuras in my opinion, which is why i disagree.

bmw's feel much better than acuras on the road, and the quality is in my opinion above acura by quite a bit.

again, nobody outside these forums usually put this much thought into a vehicle purchase, some prefer the BMW because of its quality, some because of its name, some think they look better.

either way, there is a market out there that doesnt care for engine specs at all, and bmw will continue to sell units to this market
Old 04-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Next S-Class To Be A Smash Hit - - By John Simister - - Source: Autoexpress

It's a face-off! This picture reveals how the front of Mercedes' eagerly awaited next-generation S-Class will look. Although partly covered with black plastic cladding, it is obvious the new design is sleeker and more sculpted than that of the current car.

This official picture gives the world its first glimpse of the finished model, which will hit British showrooms in the autumn. As well as a new nose, the S-Class boasts a raft of clever hi-tech safety kit.

The current model was the first car with Pre-safe. This system senses an imminent impact using data from sensors, and automatically moves the electric seats to the safest position, closes the sunroof and pre-tensions the seatbelts. In the next S-Class, the set-up is enhanced and shuts the side windows, too. It also moves the front and rear backrests, and inflates the side bolsters to anchor and cushion occupants.

This function is a development of the Dynamic Multi-Contour Seat, already used in range-topping Mercs, which alters the chair's shape according to cornering forces. However, the idea of the inflatable bolsters has been expanded to keep occupants further away from the site of a side impact.

Another development on the new car is Brake-Assist Plus. This uses the radar beam of the Distronic adaptive cruise control to boost braking pressure if you're about to crash into a car in front. A similar system has just been launched in the new Lexus GS430 (see our first drive on Page 27), but instead of applying maximum braking, the Mercedes set-up continuously alters the pressure as required. Meanwhile, a second, short-range radar, which scans an area 80 degrees wide ahead of the car, looks out for impacts from other angles.

The maker used its Berlin-based driving simulator - the most realistic device owned by any car manufacturer - to develop Brake-Assist Plus. Tests, which including braking from 81mph to avoid hitting stationary traffic, showed that it reduced the number of collisions from 44 per cent to 11 per cent.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As willing as I would be to sell my genitalia for that car, I'd be kind of wary that, given MBs quality record, that car might just come to like ann immediate stop on the highway for no reason, and I would get an up-close visit from the car behind me.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Burn some dust here

MB should really fix their current problems before putting their new flagship out.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am guessing that starting with this car, MB will have their act gotten together going forward as far as quality is concerned.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I hope so. I've read a few stories from owners whose height adjusting suspensions on their S-Classes have left them stranded.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

I am guessing that starting with this car, MB will have their act gotten together going forward as far as quality is concerned.
They can't afford not to.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
More pics:

Old 04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Burn some dust here

Old 04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Advanced

I think it will look great. But those last 2 pics look Digitally Enhanced. Still praying that they dont introduce an iDrive like system.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What's with the bangle butt?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Safety Car

The S-Class will remain king of the road.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
I'm also seeing hints of Chrysler 300C or whatever in the 2nd pic, at the doorsills and rear quarter panel... look at the height of the doors compared to the windows...
Old 04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by srika
I'm also seeing hints of Chrysler 300C or whatever in the 2nd pic, at the doorsills and rear quarter panel... look at the height of the doors compared to the windows...
Looks like they're going for that "coupe-like" stance, similar to the CLS.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by magneto112
I think it will look great. But those last 2 pics look Digitally Enhanced. Still praying that they dont introduce an iDrive like system.
They are, was just at the dealer the other day.......the salesperson my family deals with said a guy from corporate rolled up in a W221 (taped up) and said it had an Idrive type setup in it.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: www.jesdc.de
Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Latest rumors call for the S63 being a twin turbo 6.3 liter V8 making 550-600HP.

This engine will be used in the CLS63, E63, CL63, and SL63.

There will be a normally aspirated 6.3 liter version used for CLK, SLK, and C class cars.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:37 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
There will be a normally aspirated 6.3 liter version used for CLK, SLK, and C class cars.

Did I read it right? That means a non-AMG C630 is coming?????
Old 04-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by MSZ

Gav can correct me if I'm off but I've heard that there will be a 55 in the C, CLK, and SLK that will produce around 400hp. Above these will be a 63 model that produces more hp.

That was the plan a few months ago so I'm not sure if they have decided to drop the 55. However, if they want to make the 63 in those I will be all for it.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by MSZ

The 6.3L is an AMG engine and I really don't think we're going to see a V12 inside the C-class. The V8 is already pushing it in a car the size of a Civic?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Burn some dust here

Originally Posted by goldmemberer
The 6.3L is an AMG engine and I really don't think we're going to see a V12 inside the C-class. The V8 is already pushing it in a car the size of a Civic?
63 will be a V8.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
MSZ
Lola

Yea, I think I read it wrongly. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Drifting

I prefer the current S-class over the new one, styling wise. And what's up with the BMW inspired interior.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
MSZ
Lola

...The interior looks almost as same as the 7 series.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
...The interior looks almost as same as the 7 series.

If I didn't know this was a mercedes I would have guessed that this was a refresh of the 7 series.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: S-Class News