Mercedes-Benz: AMG One News

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Mercedes-Benz: AMG One News

From here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...et-1000bhp-4wd

Production of Mercedes-AMG's first hypercar - codenamed Project One - will be limited to less than 300 units, the car maker has confirmed at the Detroit motor show.

Mercedes boss Dr Dieter Zetsche said his brand's model, which will make use of a Mercedes F1 hybrid-derived powertrain, would be the first of its kind on the road.

"Our aim is for [the Project One] to be the first street legal car with an F1 engine," he said. "Secondly, that it is perceived as the ultimate sports car. We have relatively good indications that this is possible."

It's not known how or if the Mercedes power unit will be changed for the road car. Like the F1 engines, the road car's unit wil be engineered at Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth, Northamptonshire.

Mercedes previewed its model in an image that was accompanied by the strapline 'Creating benchmark driving pleasure', suggesting that the new model will focus on driver enjoyment rather than lap times. Despite this, it will be the best performing Mercedes-AMG car yet built and is set to develop around 1000bhp. It will have four-wheel drive.

The first official picture reveals a large roof scoop and louvre vents on the rear upper panel, confirming that it will be mid-engined. A wide stance is also evident, but no other details are visible.

A price of £1.5 million (€2m) has been suggested. Insiders say the final production car will be revealed at the 2017 Frankfurt motor show and that it will likely be sold out by that point.

The Aston Martin AM-RB 001, which is limited to 150 units, will also use an all-carbonfibre construction, with an F1-style carbonfibre monocoque and F1-derived performance technology. First customer cars are due to be delivered next year.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Could've sworn there was a thread...

Can't find it. If someone sees it, let me or the other mods know, please!

Teaser pic.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
unofficial render.... let's see how close the final looks to this....

Old 03-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Has a CLK-GTR feel to it from the A-pillar back, less the shark fin.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Friend ordered one. The guy who had the SLS Black Series. He saw the car in person in Geneva and met with the engineers and designers, he said from a technology and specs standpoint it blows the other hypercars out of the water.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I'm not sure what to think. Definitely looks like a hypercar, but the P1 or Agera etc are much more appealing to the (my) eyes.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The shape of the rest of the car makes the front look kind of stubby. Not a fan.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurtatx
The shape of the rest of the car makes the front look kind of stubby. Not a fan.
Originally Posted by srika
unofficial render.... let's see how close the final looks to this....
official photos have not been released yet.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
It HAS to look better than that image above
Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 AM
Senior Moderator

There's a lot of images floating around - the only "real" one is the one in post #2, which reminds of the Glickenhaus specials, and also LMP designs generally. I do hope it looks better than the one I posted.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Official website.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...g-project-one/

Unadulterated Formula One technology.

The Mercedes-AMG hypercar – probably the most fascinating two-seater that will ever hit the road. Offering unadulterated Formula One technology for the road, the hypercar is thus the first commercially available vehicle with F1 hybrid powertrain and road approval. The highly efficient and powerful Formula One hybrid drivetrain accompanied by a purely electric and wheel selective front axle drive concept is expected to develop a combined system power of more than 1,000 hp (735 kW).

“AMG Future Performance”.

The hypercar is a true performance hybrid that marks the pinnacle of what is currently technologically feasible. In terms of output and efficiency, this hypercar points the way to “AMG Future Performance”. It is a project that sets a spectacular milestone on the way to the future of Mercedes-AMG. The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 AM
Senior Moderator

ummm yeah. this sh*ts gonna be insane.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
I like the fact they have said the engine is only good for 31,000 miles
The following users liked this post:
imj0257 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by imj0257
I'm not sure what to think. Definitely looks like a hypercar, but the P1 or Agera etc are much more appealing to the (my) eyes.
Agree, that they are more road-car proportioned. This is more street-legal racecar territory.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

drivetrain reveal at Pebble Beach

Old 08-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

an electric motor working with the turbo to eliminate lag..... elementary my dear Watson!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 AM

That suspension setup is bizarre.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

rumors swirling that this car has the potential to lap the Ring in.............

Spoiler

Last edited by srika; 09-04-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

confirmed, I am heading to Frankfurt this weekend with my friend (who is buying one) for the official launch!
Old 09-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Yumcha (09-11-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:37 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fra...percar-ferrari

Three-time F1 champ Hamilton tells TG about AMG's new superstar

Lewis Hamilton grins as he gets out of the Project One, having just driven it onto the stage for the Frankfurt reveal. He looks genuinely pumped, not just race-driver-grinning-for-the-bosses pleased.

“I’m so happy to be here. I helped develop this car. Even though that’s the first time I’ve felt the engine start.” This might be the first time he’s driven it complete, but he’s been developing the power unit on his race car since 2014. “Driving a race car is the most thrilling part of my job.”

He also loves his road cars. “I’ll be happy to have the first one,” he says, gesturing at the silver Project One.

Mercedes boss Dieter Zetsche, a lifer with the company, is on stage with Hamilton. Zetsche says: “In 40 years I haven’t experienced as much hype about a Mercedes. I see why it’s called a hypercar.” Boom-boom.

Later, Hamilton tells me: “I love cars. And I’ve been saying to Mercedes for so long, why don’t you do a real car? Like, you’ve got AMG sports cars, but I’m talking about a supercar. Why is Ferrari building these supercars? We can build a better car than them. We build a better racing car than them, why don’t you guys build something that takes Mercedes to another stratosphere. And eventually I guess, after I’ve been saying it for ten years, so eventually they’ve gone ahead with it, and I think that’s cool.”

I mention this to AMG boss Tobias Moers. What was the Project One’s genesis? Moers says had a long-standing plan to build AMG to a point where it could make a supercar. But he’d only do it when he was sure enough AMG customers were asking for it. He was also convinced electrification was key to the future for AMG.

“So in October 2015 I called Andy Cowell [MD of the Formula One powertrain division] and asked can he think about whether the F1 engine would be capable of road use and meeting emissions. I gave him a month. And a month later he called back and said yes.”

After that says Moers the layout was easy to visualise, and soon a small team had started work on what became the Project One.

It won’t by the way, be called Project One for production. This is still officially a concept because it’s not ready for homologation. But Moers leaves us in no doubt it’s the real thing. The first cars are made in 2019. Yet the whole 275 run is sold out already. And that’s it. No spiders, no track versions. They would “sharpen the business case” says Moers – ie make a quick buck – but he wants to keep faith with those 275 buyers.

So what excites the triple world champion about this car? “Firstly, the sound,” says Hamilton. “When you rev this thing and shift up through the gears, it’s just going to be breathtaking. It’s going to be very, very streamlined. And then, it’s got quite a wide track, and have you seen the size of the tyres?

“The problem is that there’s no road car in the world that could come close to what it feels like in my Formula One car. Because of the weight, aerodynamics, the sense of position, the thrill that you get. But this is going to be the closest thing. ‘Cause you’ve got the sound and the technology. I think it’s really going to blow people’s minds. It’s going to be by far the closest thing.”
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM

Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

That car has quite the ground clearance!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
That car has quite the ground clearance!
It's more a race car than a street car, hence yes it does sit LOW to the ground!

I posted some of my pix from the event here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal.../#post16094413
Old 09-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the front end looks like a Huracan
Old 09-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Joneill44
Am I the only one who thinks the front end looks like a Huracan

the headlights do have a similar shape.

mind you, this is just the early concept, the final version doesn't come out until 2019.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
This car will undoubtedly be a BEAST on the track. Also, the technology is probably mind boggling fantastic. However, the design looks like something from the 90s.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE will celebrate its world première at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt/Main: for the first time, the two-seater supersports show car brings the very latest and efficient, fully-fledged Formula 1 hybrid technology from the race track to the road almost par for par to represent the highlight of AMG's 50th anniversary. This high-performance hybrid is said to produce over 1.000 hp and reach top speeds beyond 350 km/h. The show car combines outstanding race track performance and day-to-day suitable Formula 1 hybrid technology with exemplary efficiency. This is a world first. The overall responsibility for the realisation of Project ONE lies with Mercedes-AMG. The complex development work was carried out in close cooperation with the Formula 1 experts at Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth and with the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport team in Brackley. Together with the four-door AMG GT Concept, the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE provides another insight into the future performance-hybrid drive strategy of the sports car brand within Mercedes-Benz.

Ever since the early days of motorsport, engineers have dreamed of bringing motor racing technology to the road. Mercedes-AMG is now making this dream a reality at the very highest level. "Motorsport is not an end in itself for us. Faced with intense competition, we develop technologies from which our production vehicles also subsequently benefit. We are drawing on our experiences and successes from three constructors' and drivers' world championships to bring Formula 1 technology to the road for the first time: in Mercedes-AMG Project ONE", says Dr Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars.

"The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE is the first Formula 1 car with MOT approval. Our highly efficient hybrid assembly stems from motor racing and the electrically powered front axle generates a fascinating mixture of performance and efficiency. With a system output of over 1,000 hp and a top speed beyond 350 km/h this hypercar handles exactly as it looks: it takes your breath away", Ola Källenius says, Member of the Daimler AG Board of Management responsible for Group Research and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.

The concept car gives specific indications of what to expect from the upcoming production model. "The hypercar is the most ambitious project we have every undertaken. It marks yet another pinnacle of the successful, strategic development of Mercedes-AMG towards a performance and sports car brand. Project ONE raises the bar in terms of what is currently technologically feasible and thanks to its combination of efficiency and performance it represents an absolute benchmark. At the same time, Project ONE provides an outlook on how AMG will define driving performance in the future", Tobias Moers explains as the Head of Management at Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

Powertrain: one turbocharged engine and four electric motors

The high-performance plug-in hybrid drive system of the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE comes directly from Formula 1, and was realised in close cooperation with the motorsport experts of Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth. It consists of a highly integrated and intelligently networked unit comprising one hybrid, turbocharged combustion engine with a total of four electric motors. One has been integrated into the turbocharger, another has been installed directly on the combustion engine with a link to the crankcase and the two remaining motors drive the front wheels.

The 1.6-litre V6 hybrid petrol engine with direct injection and electrically assisted single turbocharging comes directly from the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 racing car. The four overhead camshafts are driven by spur gears. To achieve high engine speeds, the mechanical valve springs have been replaced by pneumatic valve springs. The vehicle is mid-engined (ahead of the rear axle) and it can easily reach speeds of 11,000 rpm, which is currently unique for a roadgoing vehicle. However, for higher longevity and the use of commercially available Super Plus petrol instead of racing fuel, it remains significantly below the F1 engine speed limit.

The electric motors on the front axle are also true rev wonders, with rotor revolutions up to 50,000 rpm – current state of the art is a speed of 20,000 rpm.

The very high-revving engine is additionally boosted by a high-tech turbocharger. The exhaust gas and compressor turbines are separated from one another and located at an optimum position to the exhaust side and to the intake side of the V6 engine, and connected to one another by a shaft. This shaft features an electric motor with approximately 90 kW which, depending on the operating status, electrically drives the compressor turbine with up to 100,000 rpm – for instance when moving off or following load changes. The Formula 1 designation for this unit is MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit Heat).

Lightning-quick response, faster than a naturally aspirated V8 engine

The major advantage: the dreaded turbo lag – the delayed response to accelerator pedal commands owing to the inertia of the large charger – is completely eliminated. The response time is greatly reduced, and is even shorter than that of a naturally aspirated V8 engine. The electric turbocharger brings about another advantage: it uses parts of the surplus energy from the exhaust system to generate electricity, and either stores it in the high-voltage lithium-ion battery as part of recuperation or provides additional drive power by feeding it to an additional electric motor. This motor produces 120 kW, has been installed directly on the engine and features a link to the crankshaft via a spur gear (MGU-K = Motor Generator Unit Kinetic) – another technology that ensures maximum efficiency and performance in Formula 1.

New all-wheel drive with purely electrically driven front axle

There will also be two further 120 kW electric motors at the front axle. Each is connected to a front wheel via a reduction gear. The fully electrically driven front axle allows individual acceleration and braking of each front wheel, and therefore selective torque distribution (torque vectoring) for particularly high levels of vehicle dynamics. With the axle motors, we estimate that up to 80 percent of the braking energy can also be optimally used for recuperation under everyday driving conditions. This energy is stored in the battery and is available for a longer electric range. Each electric motor is controlled by its own power electronics located in close proximity to the electric motors in the floor assembly.

Top marks for thermal efficiency

The thermal efficiency of the combustion engine with electric turbocharger (MGU-H) in conjunction with the electric motor on the crankshaft (MGU-K) will be over 40 percent. This is a previously unattained peak value for series production vehicles, and confirms the dominant position of the drive system where efficiency is concerned. This means that the show car obtains significantly more drive energy from one litre of fuel than other cars. It is therefore both economical and powerful. By way of comparison, the thermodynamic efficiency of conventional series production engines is around 33 to 38 percent.

Lithium-ion battery with Formula 1 technology

The battery cells, their arrangement and the cell cooling system are the same as used in the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 racing car. However, the quantity of battery cells in the AMG Project ONE will make it significantly more practical for everyday use. The lithium-ion, high-voltage battery and the DC/DC converter supporting and charging the 12 V onboard electrical system are space-savingly accommodated in the vehicle floor behind the front axle.

As a further innovation, the high-voltage EQ Power+ drive system operates with 800 volts instead of the usual 400 volts. Thanks to the higher voltage levels it is possible to influence elements, such as significantly reducing the cable diameters and accordingly saving design space and weight.

Intelligent operating strategies for optimum output and efficiency

Overall the high-performance EQ Power+ plug-in hybrid drive system offers numerous intelligent operating strategies which are optimally tuned to different application scenarios. The driving modes range from purely electric operation through to a highly dynamic mode which corresponds to a setting used in Formula 1 qualifying for optimum lap times. Despite the high system complexity, and depending on the current requirement, the driver will always receive the optimum combination of performance and efficiency. In this process, Mercedes-AMG engineers make use of the many years of experience and know-how from Formula 1, the SLS AMG Electric Drive and Daimler AG's research and development.

For instance, the driver can move off purely electrically, initially with just the electric motors on the front axle driving the hypercar and the electric motor on the crankshaft supporting short-term acceleration wishes. If the driver presses the accelerator more firmly and demands more output, the V6 engine also switches on. The drive system unfolds its full power as the engine speed increases. Impressive acceleration figures are possible with the Race Start function: acceleration from zero to 200 km/h takes under six seconds.

If the driver's foot leaves the accelerator again to let the car coast, the system switches to electric drive at the front axle – whilst braking under normal driving conditions recuperates up to 80 percent of the energy, which is fed into the battery.

Completely new, automated 8-speed manual transmission

Power is transferred to the rear wheels by an 8-speed manual transmission that has been entirely developed from scratch for the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE. It is activated hydraulically and can be operated in automated mode or manually using the shift paddles.

The basis for the outstanding driving characteristics of the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE is provided by the lightweight, high-strength carbon-fibre monocoque body, the technology of which likewise comes from Formula 1. The same applies to integration of the engine and transmission: both have load-bearing functions and completely support the rear suspension.

Multi-link suspension with innovative pushrod suspension

The suspension developers also gave their utmost. Multi-link designs are used at the front and rear. The adjustable coil-over suspension has several special features: Both push-rod spring struts have been installed across the direction of travel. The innovative arrangement of the spring/damper unit replaces the function and application of conventional tubular cross members. This solution reliably prevents rolling movements even during very rapid directional changes, without being uncomfortable.

The overall setup of the springs and dampers is configured for perfectly balanced, easily controlled and above all sporty handling characteristics. These are also assisted by all-wheel drive and torque vectoring. ABS is standard equipment, with ESP® adjustable in three stages as is usual for AMG. ESP® ON stands for a high level of safety, ESP® SPORT HANDLING MODE allows greater yaw angles before system intervention for a sporty driving style, and ESP® OFF switches the system off for sporty driving on enclosed racetracks.

Exclusive forged wheels with innovative carbon-fibre semi-cover

Another completely new development is the 10-spoke forged aluminium wheel with centre lock, which is exclusively reserved for the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE. This has a radial carbon-fibre semi-cover with an aerodynamically sophisticated shape: this improves the car's aerodynamics and Cd figure by optimising the airflow around the wheels.

At the same time, three flat ventilation slots per spoke section ensure optimum heat dissipation from the brakes. This is another example of how the AMG development team pays the utmost attention to even the smallest aspects, so as to improve the efficiency of the hypercar.

At the front the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE runs on 10.0 J x 19 dimension wheels and 285/35 ZR 19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres which were exclusively developed for the hypercar and at the rear the vehicle features 12.0 J x 20 wheels running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 335/30 ZR 20 tyres.

The car is equipped with an advanced, weight-optimised ceramic high-performance compound braking system. Its low weight reduces the unsprung masses, thus improving driving dynamics and agility. Furthermore, the ceramic brakes are distinguished by a longer service life, higher corrosion resistance and higher thermal stability. The "AMG Carbon Ceramic" lettering and the specially painted brake callipers visually distinguish this unique braking system.

Exterior design: Beauty and the beast

The design of the show car is very obviously inspired by the premium class in motorsport. But above all, it embodies the Mercedes-AMG principle that fascination is always linked with function. Every part has a specific purpose. The result is a mid-engine concept, extremely muscular proportions with the cockpit well forward, large wheel arches, a wasp waist and an extended rear end.

"The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE is the hottest and coolest car we have ever designed. It combines our design philosophy of Sensual Purity with the performance of our Formula 1 racing cars and is the perfect embodiment of Performance Luxury," says Gorden Wagener, Chief Design Officer Daimler AG. "This hypercar's extreme design marks a milestone in design ‑ there are no lines, and the interior is stripped down to the essentials."

Front view: Powerful and functional

The front view is characterised by the large front apron, the various air inlets of which extend across the entire vehicle width. The trapezoidal centre section bears a large, white AMG logo. Above it, on the vehicle body, is the Mercedes star. The hallmark AMG A-wing below the centre section creates a silver-coloured highlight, and seamlessly transitions into the front wings.

On the left and right are large, prominent air inlets which are framed by U‑shaped flaps and each subdivided by two black horizontal fins. Flat LED headlamps blend seamlessly into the body contours.

The black air outlets in the bonnet guide the hot airflow around the sides of the driver compartment. This allows the flow of fresh air to pass unhindered across the driver compartment and into the intake tract on the roof. The downforce at the front axle is positively influenced by the automatically extending front splitter and the active ventilation louvres in the front wheel arches, contributing to the perfect aerobalance of the car.

Taut flanks, large wings

The low, dynamic greenhouse has an unmistakable, spherical architecture with a distinctive window pattern. The large, dark area stands for important technical functions. These technical components form a visual contrast to the clean overall lines of the vehicle.

The roof line is dominated by an air intake derived from Formula 1, via which the engine takes in large volumes of air. The black intake transitions elegantly into the black, vertical shark fin, which improves lateral stability when cornering at high speed. The rear window placed well to the rear is an integral part of the intake/roof-fin unit. It allows a view of the power unit. Two large NACA air inlets ensure optimum guidance of the airflows for the engine and transmission oil coolers located at the rear end.

The side view also shows a sensuous, clean surface design combined with functional features. The vehicle flanks are tautly recessed, with black carbon-fibre surfaces redirecting the airflow around the vehicle body as in motorsport.

The Petronas green paintbrush design on the flanks is the work of the artist who designed the paintwork for the Formula 1 racing car. All four wheels are spanned by tight-fitting, muscular wings that appear ready to leap into action.

As in motor racing, the doors open both forwards and upwards. The fuel filler flap is at the rear right, the charge socket for the plug-in hybrid battery at the rear left.

Rear end: Fascination and function

The sharp, vertical spoiler lip and the large, two-section diffuser, which is interrupted by the central exhaust tailpipe, as well as the two-stage extendible rear aerofoil, contribute to aerodynamic efficiency and performance at high speeds. The design of the exhaust tailpipe with its large, round outlet and two further small, round apertures was adopted directly from the Formula 1 cars.

The muscular appearance is further enhanced by the rear apron with its large, black mesh and carbon-fibre components. The rear lights each feature three rhomboid lighting elements to echo the graphic design of the AMG brand logo, and therefore also the design of the headlamps.

Interior: Formula 1 for two

The interior design concept follows function on the racetrack, and this is expressed in the radical design idiom. Formula 1 technology is made authentically tangible on both the race track and the road. Here too every detail has a function, with nothing included merely for visual reasons. In the monocoque interior, the reduced components are emphasised in minimalist style both in design and functional terms.

The ergonomically contoured interior has room for two occupants. The bucket seats with adjustable backrests are integrated into the monocoque. The pedals and steering wheel are adjustable, allowing the driver to adopt the ideal driving position. The centre tunnel visually separates the driver and passenger areas from each other. It blends fully into the seat sculpture and follows the principle of minimalism with its gently rising contour.

Interior with functional structural parts

The lightweight construction is also obvious from the slim, wing-like profile of the dashboard. It appears to be light and free-floating. As a functional, structural component it also rigidifies the monocoque of the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE. The two high-resolution, free-standing 10-inch displays (one slightly raised in front of the driver, the other on the right of the centre console angled towards the driver) are adapted with high-quality and weight-optimised solid metal components.

The double-nozzle ventilation unit is suspended under the centre screen like a gondola. The screen and nozzles form a single unit, emphasising the lightweight design principle of the whole. The displays' rectangular basic form is echoed by the ventilation nozzles, and by the centre console in which the start/stop button is located.

Also seamlessly integrated as a unit are a high-quality stowage compartment, a reduced switch array and the engine start button. The stowage compartment is fitted with a transparent lid.

Formula 1-style steering wheel

The steering wheel with flattened upper and lower sections and an integrated airbag offers motorsport functionality, as do the two integrated controllers which can be used to set adjustment functions, such as the driving modes and suspension setup, or the LED shift display in the upper steering wheel area.

The door panels are in functional, high-grade carbon-fibre, and integrate smoothly into the sporty interior. As if to mirror the aero winglets of the exterior, the door panelling is visually interrupted to create space for technical implements and a generously concave door centre panel. An aluminium cassette combines the air vents and power window switches, which are integrated as deeply recessed rectangles.

Stowage compartments behind the seats, screen replaces interior mirror.

Neither have the Mercedes-AMG developers forgotten suitability for everyday use and operating convenience: small items can be stowed in two compartments on the left and right behind the seats. An air conditioning system and power windows are standard equipment, while the COMAND infotainment system ensures optimum connectivity.

The user interface is integrated as an autonomous concept. The most important information is displayed on the road in the line of vision above the steering wheel, so that the driver is not distracted. To ensure optimum visibility to the rear, the rear-view mirror is replaced by a screen showing real-time images of the rear from a mirror cam. The aluminium screen housing is fully integrated into the roof, and also holds other controls.

Colours and materials from the racing car

The choice of colours and materials takes its inspiration from the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula 1 racing car. The sculptured racing seats are in slip-resistant black microfibre, creating an unmistakable association with motor racing. The seat surfaces are interspersed with nappa leather in magma grey and inlays in a sporty textile mesh which optimally assists the air circulation of the seats. There is also yellow contrasting topstitching.

The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE: the future of driving performance

Conclusion: The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE will not only bring current Formula 1 hybrid technology onto the road and combines top-class race track performance with full day-to-day suitability. Its purpose is also to obtain extensive findings about performance-oriented plug-in hybrid drive technology, further developments of suspension layouts and extended onboard electronics that will later benefit series production AMG cars. The Project ONE team is working hard on successfully bringing this vision onto the road.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:15 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/02/...-one-flipping/

Just 275 examples will be built, and they're all sold out

Mercedes-AMG will include contract language in its exclusive upcoming Formula One-sourced Project One hypercar when it starts delivering to customers early next year prohibiting the new owners from flipping the $2.6 million car for a quick profit.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports the move is similar to what Ford is doing with its GT supercar and Porsche, with its 911 GT3 Touring after customers began flipping the 911 R. It also says all 275 examples of the 1,000-horsepower-plus Project One are sold and that Mercedes-AMG has undertaken the first test drives using camouflaged prototypes on closed race tracks in England and Spain.

Late last year, Ford sued wrestler and actor John Cena for violating the terms of his purchase contract, which involved an application process, for the $450,000 supercar. The two sides in June settled outside of court for an undisclosed amount that Ford will reportedly donate to charity. Meanwhile, another 2017 Ford GT is on Mecum's Monterey sale bill. It's headed for the block Aug. 23-25.

Similar attempts have already been made with the Project One. Motor 1 reports someone tried to sell a build slot last November for the equivalent of $5.2 million, nearly double the asking price, and a newer listing not yet removed is similarly asking $5.2 million, with a mid-year 2019 delivery date.

The Project One, which debuted as a concept last fall in Frankfurt, boasts some eye-popping specs, with its mid-mounted 1.6-liter single-turbo V6 doing more than 1,000 horsepower, a top speed of more than 217 miles per hour and going from 0-124 mph in just 6 seconds. It can also operate as a zero-emission electric car for 15.5 miles, thanks to its lithium-ion battery powering two 120-kilowatt electric motors, plus two smaller ones driving the front wheels. Owners will have to take the car in every 31,000 miles or so to have the gas engine rebuilt.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:54 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/265414/p...ter-ruled-out/

In a day from tomorrow, it’ll be one year since Mercedes-AMG lifted the veils off the spectacular Project One at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show. Oddly enough, we haven’t heard much of the F1-engined hypercar since then, but it is believed the production-ready model will be unveiled soon. That likely means more juicy details are to be disclosed about what could turn out to be the fastest production car at the Nürburgring.

If we were to rely on the rumor mill, the talented folks from Affalterbach toyed around with the idea of chopping off the 1,000-horsepower coupe’s roof to create a roadster version. While the model with the fixed roof will be built in 275 examples, the open-top derivative was conceived with a production run of 5 to 10 units. However, it appears we won’t be seeing anything along the lines of a Project One Roadster as plans were shelved in August.

It’s a similar story with a track-only edition in the same vein as the Aston Martin’s Valkyrie AMR Pro, Ferrari’s LaFerrari FXX K Evo, and McLaren’s P1 GTR. The initial plan was to build anywhere between 25 to 50 units of the ultimate AMG track toy, but it’s not going to happen after all.

As for the coupe we’re all eager see in final guise, the report goes on to specify it might go by another name, although Project One does sound rather cool. Another tidbit is the availability of a “Qualification” mode, which we assume sharpens up everything to turn the hypercar into an even more track-focused machine.

If by any chance you have the $2.5-million hypercar on order, you probably know by now Mercedes-AMG has a problem with customers attempting to flip their cars. Those eager to actually drive their prized possessions are aware of the fact that after 50,000 kilometers (31,070 miles), they’ll have to send the car to Mercedes-AMG to have the turbocharged 1.6-liter V6 engine rebuilt. Talk about first world problems…
Old 09-21-2018, 01:56 PM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/m...otype-testing/

We've seen the outside of it, and we've been up close and personal with the stuff that lies beneath its skin. Yet, the Mercedes-AMG Project One still isn't ready for production -- but now, it's one step closer.

Mercedes-AMG is now testing prototypes of the Project One on public roads around the UK. The automaker has already spent hundreds of hours developing the car digitally, and it's undergone real-world tests on the dyno, which replicated some harsh on-track conditions.

Now, its prototypes are rolling around a test track in England and finally making their way to public roads. It's not exactly easy to disguise this car, especially considering the engine is spitting out Formula 1 noises, which are more aggressive than even the gnarliest hypercars.

To celebrate this big step forward in its development, Mercedes-AMG put out some images of lightly camouflaged Project One prototypes, and they're lookin' good.

Project One is going to blow the doors off anyone lucky enough to plunk down the major cash required for one. Its F1-derived powertrain uses a tiny 1.6-liter V6 in conjunction with four electric motors to put out more than 1,000 horsepower. It can even run on electricity alone for about 16 miles, if that's what you're into.

Unlike most limited-run hypercars, Mercedes-AMG plans to build a relative ton of these things. The automaker has a planned production run of 275 cars, and each will cost the euro equivalent of $2.72 million, making it ever so slightly less expensive than a Bugatti Chiron. As our own Tim Stevens said when he first saw the car, it's "a bargain" for what you get.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 AM

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...called-the-one

Mercedes-AMG One is tipped to be the official name of the new hypercar being developed by AMG under the code name Project One.

Future owners were recently invited to Munich, Germany, where they learned of the car's name and specced out their own examples, and thanks to the Internet it's been leaked that the name is One. Motor1 has also confirmed via its own source that One is in fact the name.

It makes sense considering the car's links to Formula 1, but also because it is the first of a new generation of electrified AMG sports cars. The Affalterbach tuner has confirmed that the hybrid technology developed for the One will filter across to more of its models.

AMG will build just 275 examples of the hypercar, and all build slots have been sold despite the car costing a cool $2.7 million. One of the buyers is American supercar collector Manny Khoshbin who was in Munich to spec his car.

AMG presented the One as a concept at the 2017 Frankfurt auto show. Since then there's been a lot of development taking place in the virtual world, at secret test sites, and at the Mercedes-AMG F1 team's base in the United Kingdom. The site is where the cars are expected to be built, using the same suppliers as the F1 team.

Unlike the Ferrari F50 whose V-12 was based on the design used in Ferrari's F1 cars at the time, AMG's One will feature the actual engine used in Mercedes-AMG's multiple championship-winning F1 cars: a 1.6-liter turbocharged V-6 complete with turbo-mounted electric motor and 11,000-rpm redline. Three additional electric motors will feature in the One, with one mounted to the engine and a further two at the front axle to form an all-wheel-drive system. Peak power will be above 1,000 horsepower.

The first Ones are expected to be delivered early next year—about the same time Aston Martin will start deliveries of the rival Valkyrie. The ensuing One vs. Valk battle is going to be wild.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Thread title update on aisle 3! @Yumcha
Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Looks like one of the buyers may be one of the Mercedes F1 drivers:
Old 10-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

googly moogly it's looking good.

if you check the box for carbon wheels, that adds a cool $100k on the bill....

nist7 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/par...r-fast-forward

The car formerly known as the Mercedes-AMG Project One – now just ‘One’ – is on track for a 2020 debut. It is AMG’s take on a road-legal hypercar with an engine pinched from Lewis Hamilton’s weekend racer.

Which means more than 1,000bhp, 0–124mph in under six seconds and a top speed of 217mph+. It is the very pinnacle of modern AMG… but just what is modern AMG?

At the 2018 Paris Motor Show, TG sat down with AMG boss Tobias Moers to talk about this car and the future of the brand.

How much time are you personally spending on the One?

A little bit more than expected. I try to be in the UK every week [the One is being engineered and tested in Britain].

You said recently that the project was back on track. Does that mean there was a delay?

We have a delay. It’s not a secret – I talk openly about that with our customers, and with you. There were some adjustments to be made on the powertrain.

Talk to me about the challenges.

You know, there are various challenges. Many, many diverse things that we have to adjust and get an understanding of, together with HPP (Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains). What would be the next step? What is the improvement? If we do a change in that perspective, what is the outcome? Things like that.

It strikes me that engineering a Formula One drivetrain into a road car comes with a multitude of challenges. F1 engines idle at 5,000rpm, they generate a huge amount of heat and are designed to run with vast airflow…

Heat is not the problem. The heat is not high. Getting a stable idle at 1,200rpm, that’s challenging.

To give you a simple example. You have leakage in the throttles in Formula One and nobody cares, because it runs at a 5,000rpm idle. At a 1,200rpm idle, you have to meet the emissions regulations. You need a stable, proper idle. If it’s unstable, your emissions are unstable.

Clearly there’s a lot of work to retro-engineer the drivetrain to work for this purpose? Did you think it’d be as difficult as it is proving to be?

My expectation was that we were going to have a time when we have some major issues and we have to solve them. Could it be more efficient to solve them? Yeah sometimes.

But you’re confident you can deliver?

We promised. We are going to deliver.

You need a great alignment between HPP and AMG, so we do now have a team together working with HPP on the programme. We get additional help from outside as well. So, we’re back on track. I’m confident, but we lost maybe nine months or so.

It took a while to get back on track but we are open with our customers. We just had the discussion with them.

So, they accept the nine-month delay to get this car?

You know what they tell me? “Make sure that the car works. Because of what we experienced in the past with hybrid cars, take your time.”

AMGs have a very specific DNA, so how does an F1-engined hypercar become a true AMG product?

It’s the driving behaviour of the car. It’s an overall package. Formula One has its own identity. And the cool thing is, when you drive the car – which I did – it sounds like a Formula One car.

It’s unbelievable. You don’t hear it really well inside if you wear the helmet, but it sounds like an F1 car. It’s unbelievable.

What does it sound like at idle?

BAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!

That noise has given you some problems in terms of where you can actually test it, hasn’t it – because of noise limits in certain test areas? Where are you testing it now?

I am not going to tell you.

But you were testing at Millbrook (below).

Yeah. We have done Millbrook.

And has it done road tests as well?

No, we are not on the road yet. We have a hub in Millbrook where we work on calibration, gearbox, everything you know. It’s not easy to get a hybrid F1 engine and a totally new gearbox with the new software engaged, but we’ve made good improvements. It’s drivable. You can run it on pure electric. You can run it combined. It works.

We are not on the final power output yet. We used to run it with 40 per cent, and we moved up to 60 per cent. Now we run it with 80/85 per cent. We see room for improvement. We are doing a great job on the HPP dyno.

So, you can do all of that at HPP, and you’re also doing a lot in the virtual world, in simulators, aren’t you?

Absolutely. We are now running the installation on the simulator at AMG. The most sophisticated simulator you can get.

Is it the same as the F1 simulator?

No. That’s too specific. The system we have at AMG is, I think, one of the most sophisticated tools you can use right now. We’re going to use that simulator in other programmes as well in the future. It’s not just dedicated for Project One.

And will your owners get access to that simulator, to help them prepare for the extreme performance of the One?

Yeah, but you have to be extremely stable [pats stomach] for it. My first time in it after Breidscheid (on the Nürburgring), I was so sick! I managed to get through the lap because you have to.

As the boss of AMG, you can’t be sick in the simulator.

Yeah, you can be! It’s not a problem. But, now I’m used to it and it works…

Clearly the One is going to deliver an extreme driving experience – how are you going to prepare your owners for it?

Everybody asks me that. It’s not a problem. You press the button, it starts. You can drive it easily. You can start with electric driving, then the combustion engine kicks in. That works. You can run the car easily and – though you might not like to do it – you can run it easily in the city. Stop and go, everything.

How big is the team that’s working on the car?

We don’t normally talk about that, but we work on both sides of the channel. So at HPP there’s about 100, and then in the overall programme, maybe a little bit more than 200 people.

The car is being developed in the UK, so who’s test driving? Obviously you’re involved in the test driving of it.

Yeah. It’s my guys.

Will the F1 drivers be involved?

Yes, but they are really busy. They will be soon, but it’s too early for these guys. We need to be at the next level.

The next level… can you tell us what the timeline is going forward?

At the moment you’ve seen shots of it at Millbrook. And now it’s going to be testing somewhere else [smiles]. We do have a timeline and we’re going to agree with the customers that we have the first car at the end or middle of 2020.

There’s an awful lot of work to be done between now and then. For a project of this scale, what are the next key benchmarks you want to hit? Running the engine at 100 per cent, for example?

Yeah, that’s a next step. We have cars running on the test track. We have to get some improvement on the calibration – it’s still rough shifting. The more you move up the power output, the more you have to take care about shifting and shift times. Things like that. In other words, there’s a lot to do.

Emissions is the biggest task. You have to make sure that you are compliant with emissions standards in every perspective [pure electric and hybrid]. It might be more complicated than in the past as well. And you know the demand of authorities to prove everything is today much harder than when we signed (the project) off.

Do you know what the F1 car emits?

No [smiles], but it’s really good at 11,000rpm. The F1 car revs to 14,000rpm, but at 11,000 [the One’s reduced but it’s still an insane redline] it’s really good. The engine is unbelievably efficient.

Let’s talk about fuelling. The F1 car uses very specific fuel, and the One will have to run on pump gas. I know how carefully the F1 teams manage the extraction of race fuel to help preserve the engines. Does that present a particular challenge?

Yeah. It’s a different fuel. But it’s not a problem.

But the engine is lifed for 50,000km…

And then it’s kind of a rebuild, but who’s going to get there? Not that many.

Can I offer my services as a high-mileage test driver?

We’ll come back to that.

Moving on from the powertrain, can we talk about aero – is that challenging?

Nothing that gives me a headache, to be honest. It’s not simple, but we have active (aero) features. We have to take care of our cooling as well. So, we have shutters and things like that in place. You know, with aerodynamics we are at the borderline of how much we can stress the tyres.

What is it developing in terms of downforce?

I’m not talking about the numbers, but, we have a maximum speed of 350kph (217mph), and we have a downforce level and we stretch the tyres really until their end.

You’re working with Michelin on the tyres, but given the length of the project and the advances in tyre technology between now and the delivery of the cars, there must be huge development potential in that area alone…

I don’t know where it’s going to end, I don’t know how many loops we’re going to make for that. They’re a really great company and they’re really dedicated to the programme. But you have to consider tyre loads, max speed, downforce level, the car’s weight, then legislation for street legal tyres, wet performance… you have to meet that standard and there’s a conflict of targets. Wet performance is not good for dry performance.

I think we’re going to have to offer slick tyres as an option.

How often are you meeting with the customers?

I just met them. We had an event in Munich in line with Oktoberfest. There were 30 customers coming from everywhere on the planet. It’s a great community and they enjoy being part of that community. It’s a very unique band of people.

In terms of driving ability, you are engineering a car that will deliver unbelievable performance levels, so you need to be a very high level driver?

If you want to take it on the track, yes. Because you have to identify the point where downforce is important.

So it is a downforce car, a commitment car?

This is the point where we have to teach the drivers. When they would like to be on the track, what is the downforce? How can you feel the downforce and what is achievable with downforce? Because you could drive a car without downforce. It goes sideways. When you do that it’s not going to end in a good way.

So, it’s not an AMG that drifts?

[Laughs] Well, I experienced it in the simulator. When it drifts, it’s not easy.

Have you had to readjust your driving perceptions and your definition of fast?

Yes, a little. It feels like a GT3 full-powered on the Nordschleife in fast forward. Compared to the GT R, it’s like it is in fast forward.

As a brand whose DNA is rooted in performance, do you think the One marks the end of an era?

I don’t think so. There will always be a solution for more power. I had a great conversation with Stéphane Ratel about the new luxury in the future of sports cars, and what that is. Maybe a pure combustion driven sports car – not necessary naturally aspirated, so this is maybe the difference, but, perhaps that’s an interpretation of new luxury in 2025.

But this (the One) is not the last one.

You now work with all Mercedes products, and you’ve managed to migrate to turbocharging whilst keeping the drama and soul that we’ve come to expect from an AMG product in a way that very few else have. So what is your future vision for the brand?

The auto industry is getting more diverse. You’re going to have combustion. You’re going to have hybrid long range BEVS. Performance BEVS because that’s a different battery. It’s getting more diverse. And so are we as well. So, we are going to have hybrid performance powertrains.

Sooner or later everybody asks me, “Are you going to have a BEV?” And I say yes, because I don’t know any other options for the future.

Do you see a way in that what you’re doing with the One trickles down into other vehicles?

Everything we learned with the SLS Electric Drive is in the One. It’s still alive. We use all that knowledge. For example, IVC [Integrated Vehicle Control]: it’s in the GT R, the four door GT, in the new C63. So, everything was born in the SLS Electric Drive. We’re going to use it in standard cars, so to speak. We use it in the One. It’s all about software and functionalities. And we’re not bad at doing that, we’re going to use that in future projects as well. Electrified turbo chargers…

It’s an 80kW electric unit in The One. We’re not going to use 80kW for the standard portfolio, but this technology is something that we’re going to see in our future portfolio for sure.

Do you get excited about BEVs? Indeed, can you get excited about them?

Yes. They’re not great when running on a racetrack. But, for your everyday situation, if you have 20 or 30 kilometres to get to the office from home, and you have access to a charging point, what’s wrong with it?

You know, I don’t like to be reduced or to reduce AMG to just the engine and the sound. That’s the past. I know it’s important, and it’s still important. But AMG moves forward. We change. Back in the day, AMG was good for big engines in a sedan. Outstanding straight line performance, but a little bit scary in the corners. This is the past. So, AMG is more holistic.

That’s what I would like to see in the brand. We have to teach everybody that we are there. But, I think we are there. And our competitors have changed too.

In terms of BEVs, hybrids, future technology… how do you see the model portfolio changing to deliver them? Are you going to have different sub brands within AMG?

No, because that’s too confusing. I strictly believe in one brand; the overall portfolio for AMG in the future.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 AM

https://carbuzz.com/news/mercedes-am...han-we-thought

Since it debuted at the Frankfurt Auto Show over a year ago, Mercedes-AMG has been quiet about the upcoming One hypercar. Recently, AMG boss Tobias Moers confirmed that customer deliveries for the F1-powered hypercar have been delayed by nine months due to development issues, meaning it won’t arrive until 2020. That also means it will arrive after its main rival, the Aston Martin Valkyrie, which is slated to launch next year. It should be worth the wait, however, because Mercedes-AMG is using the time to make the One lighter and even more powerful than initial targets suggested.

Sources have informed The Supercar Blog that the AMG One has a lower, more ambitious weight target to help it achieve the desired performance. No specific target weight was mentioned, but Mercedes was initially targeting a kerb weight of around 3,000 lbs. According to sources, the AMG One will be slightly more powerful than the 1039 hp that was initially targeted.

Mercedes is also reportedly considering a Motorsport package for the AMG One, which could add even more extreme aerodynamics to the hypercar and boost the performance from the car’s hybrid V6 powertrain to make it a formidable track weapon.

Mercedes is so confident about the AMG One’s capabilities, it’s also planning to set a production car lap record at the Nurburgring and is currently preparing the car for its record run. It will need to beat the Lamborghini Aventador SVJ, which is the current king of the Nurburgring after setting a time of six minutes and 44.97 seconds. Only 275 examples of the Mercedes-AMG One are being produced, each costing $2.7 million.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: AMG One News